PDA

View Full Version : Allens "impossible" contract request.

Steelers23_06
07-09-2012, 06:36 AM
this has nothing to with him going to miami its about him leaving the celtics

I read a few articles saying that Ray Allen requested 27 million for 3 years just so Boston could reject him giving him reason to leave. But let's take a second to look at his point of view.

-2010 paul pierce signs extension for 4 years 41 million

-2011 trade rumors ray to GS for Monta and Radmanovic

-2012 trade rumors ray to MEM for Mayo

-2012 asked to come off the bench in the playoffs for the first time in his career

-2012 kg signs extension for 3 years 34 million

-2012 jason terry signs w/ C's for 5 million per year

i live in mass so i have seen this unfold up-close. in my opinion the celtics said they were committed to ray but moves say the exact opposite. all of these moves are a smack in the face to a 1st ballot Hall Of Famer. To dangle a player not once but twice gets to a player. you see what it did to pau, melo, odom. Basketball is probably one of the most mental games (aside from golf) so that could get to a players head make and them question themselves and the dedication the club has to them. also last time i checked ray ray was a member of the big 3 when he was there so why are PP and KG making 10+ mil per yr and hes stuck making a measly million more then terry. why should ray have to take that pay cut? kg has made more money then any other person who has picked up mr. spalding. why wouldn't KG say "hey if it will keep ray and make the books work I will take less" (like bron and wade did for bosh). last but not least why the hell would you have ray come off the bench for bradley?! it makes no sense to me at all. ray isnt the type who can just come off the bench and turn it on. his game consists of coming off screens a lot and keeping wing defenders from coming with the help d which makes it easier for kg. and bradley to me is fit to come of the bench because he is a gritty defender who can attack and create his own buckets so could be an effective leader for the bench learn from ray and when ray did hang up his custom jordans he tought bradley all he could. im not going to get into the rondo situation because its all speculation so i cant comment on that. but thoughts PSD?

p.s. lets just have a discussion for once not talk about whos better between durant & lebron, dwight drama, knicks fanbase vs. heat fanbase and all that other BS

TheNumber37
07-09-2012, 07:00 AM
They were committed to him as they did not end up trading them. I understand that he was disappointed about not getting a bigger pay day and being benched for Avery Bradley - but those moves did make the team better. If he was truly committed to them he would've served as their backup SG with Terry in the back court. That potential 4 guard rotation would've been better than his potential 6th man role for Miami.

He just wanted to feel more important. For Boston, he might've played 20-25 mins a game. And stayed Fresh for when he needs them to hit big shots in the playoffs. Getting Terry, made him feel that even that role was gone. For Miami, Ray would be the 1st guy off the bench for Chalmers, Wade, James. That's at least 28-30 mins a game. Scoring about 12-14 per. While still being a guy they need to hit Big 3, and sink clutch free throws.

CavsYanksDuke
07-09-2012, 07:01 AM
I completely agree with everything you said, but I feel like guards are the most affected by age. If he were any other SG, I would have done the same thing the Celtics did, because guards tend to wear down about this time and it drastically lowers their overall game. So the Celtics didn't want to invest in an older player who shot jumpshots, when they just signed back two older players who step back and shoot too. Bradley is young and has shown flashes of great athleticism that would open up KG and PP to hit those jumpers. It's something that happens in sports. It's not always done correctly, but the franchise was trying to get younger and more athletic.

Plus, there have been tons of reports that Rondo and Ray Allen were no bueno. They did not like each other and Ray Allen pretty much ignored him the whole year. Rondo is no HOFer yet, but I'd place him higher on the Celtics priority list than Allen because of his age and potential.

However, I did say that this is how a REGULAR SG should be treated, not the guy whose hit more 3's than anyone and who is threatening to go to the HEAT where he would torment the Celtics next year. Both sides are compelling, but the Celtics did what they thought was best for them in both competition and financial matters.

Lisound15
07-09-2012, 07:20 AM
i agree with much of what you said, the celtics did treat him unfairly throughout his tenure and never really included him in the future of the organization. However, basketball is probably on the lower end of sports in terms of mental strength needed, its just that most players are very immature and have huge ego's, leading to situations like these.

DitchDat
07-09-2012, 07:31 AM
There has been a system shift in Boston: they absolutely want to start the up-and-coming Bradley, and Ray is not one to create for himself. Terry does that.

Obviously I would have loved to still have him in Boston, but I agree with Ray that it makes sense to join Miami. With DWade and LeBron there, his job will be easy: he just has to launch wide-open 3pointers.

It was perhaps unfair to him that he was close to being traded a couple of times, but it's not like Rondo and Pierce weren't made available in the right deal. Danny was trying to make the team better. In the end he wasn't moved, Danny wanted him, and he was offered more money + a potential no-trade clause. That's a no-brainer for a lot of players, but Ray still chose Miami. I think the break-up is one of mutual benefit, even though, as a Boston fan, it stings that he chose the Heat.

I don't think the money really mattered.

Ray has already received a 2 year, $20 million extension from Boston. He surely couldn't have been looking for another 3 years at $27 million? He must have known that he was headed for a paycut. 3 years, $18 million would have been fine for me, but obviously it wasn't about the money. He joined the Heat for a lot less. I think he just needed a change of scenery (and what scenery is better than Miami's? reigning NBA champs, nice weather, etc).

I just want to state one thing: when people say that LeBron, Wade and Bosh took a big paycut so that Udonis Haslem could be re-signed, I laugh at that. If it was really about winning that summer, they would have taken even less (keep in mind that they received $110 million+ contracts!) to improve that god-awful bench that they had in their first go-round. That was PR.

DitchDat
07-09-2012, 07:34 AM
I completely agree with everything you said, but I feel like guards are the most affected by age. If he were any other SG, I would have done the same thing the Celtics did, because guards tend to wear down about this time and it drastically lowers their overall game. So the Celtics didn't want to invest in an older player who shot jumpshots, when they just signed back two older players who step back and shoot too. Bradley is young and has shown flashes of great athleticism that would open up KG and PP to hit those jumpers. It's something that happens in sports. It's not always done correctly, but the franchise was trying to get younger and more athletic.

Plus, there have been tons of reports that Rondo and Ray Allen were no bueno. They did not like each other and Ray Allen pretty much ignored him the whole year. Rondo is no HOFer yet, but I'd place him higher on the Celtics priority list than Allen because of his age and potential.

However, I did say that this is how a REGULAR SG should be treated, not the guy whose hit more 3's than anyone and who is threatening to go to the HEAT where he would torment the Celtics next year. Both sides are compelling, but the Celtics did what they thought was best for them in both competition and financial matters.

Jump shooters usually last. Guys that rely on athleticism become irrelevant faster IMO

tcav701
07-09-2012, 07:54 AM
I dont think they would have even offered 2 and 12 if the Heat werent interested.

X12Celtics3
07-09-2012, 08:00 AM

I read a few articles saying that Ray Allen requested 27 million for 3 years just so Boston could reject him giving him reason to leave. But let's take a second to look at his point of view.

-2012 asked to come off the bench in the playoffs for the first time in his career

i live in mass so i have seen this unfold up-close. in my opinion the celtics said they were committed to ray but moves say the exact opposite. all of these moves are a smack in the face to a 1st ballot Hall Of Famer. To dangle a player not once but twice gets to a player. you see what it did to pau, melo, odom. Basketball is probably one of the most mental games (aside from golf) so that could get to a players head make and them question themselves and the dedication the club has to them. also last time i checked ray ray was a member of the big 3 when he was there so why are PP and KG making 10+ mil per yr and hes stuck making a measly million more then terry. why should ray have to take that pay cut? kg has made more money then any other person who has picked up mr. spalding. why wouldn't KG say "hey if it will keep ray and make the books work I will take less" (like bron and wade did for bosh). last but not least why the hell would you have ray come off the bench for bradley?! it makes no sense to me at all. ray isnt the type who can just come off the bench and turn it on. his game consists of coming off screens a lot and keeping wing defenders from coming with the help d which makes it easier for kg. and bradley to me is fit to come of the bench because he is a gritty defender who can attack and create his own buckets so could be an effective leader for the bench learn from ray and when ray did hang up his custom jordans he tought bradley all he could. im not going to get into the rondo situation because its all speculation so i cant comment on that. but thoughts PSD?

p.s. lets just have a discussion for once not talk about whos better between durant & lebron, dwight drama, knicks fanbase vs. heat fanbase and all that other BS

1. Rondo and Pierce have both been dangled in trades over the past two seasons as well, and Rondo's have been far more frequent than Allen's (this is probably the first off-season of his career that he isn't in trade rumors).

2. Ray was the least valuable of the big three, and the term "Big Three" is meaningless anyway. He was the fourth best player on the team, and a pure shooter (even one of his caliber) is not worth as much as guys like Rondo, Pierce, and Garnett who can all offer much more. The flaw with this argument is that the Celtics WAAAAAY overpaid for Pierce and overpaid a bit for KG as well, so the disparity between their contract values and Allen's is pretty damn big.

3. Why was he coming off the bench for Bradley? Well, for one Allen was hurt and old. Ideally the C's would have had Bradley eating up a lot of minutes at shooting guard so that Allen would be rested when he was needed later in games. Also, second unit scoring was absolutely horrendous, so Ray Allen coming off the bench would have been a huge improvement. The team looked pretty damn good while Bradley was starting, so to change it back would have been stupid.

StarvingKnick22
07-09-2012, 10:31 AM
wow i see he is afraid that he's old. you see it in his eyes. i just hope that he takes the deal with celtics, Bucks or OKC so he retires with his original teams for a vet mini

mjm07
07-09-2012, 10:46 AM
There has been a system shift in Boston: they absolutely want to start the up-and-coming Bradley, and Ray is not one to create for himself. Terry does that.

Obviously I would have loved to still have him in Boston, but I agree with Ray that it makes sense to join Miami. With DWade and LeBron there, his job will be easy: he just has to launch wide-open 3pointers.

It was perhaps unfair to him that he was close to being traded a couple of times, but it's not like Rondo and Pierce weren't made available in the right deal. Danny was trying to make the team better. In the end he wasn't moved, Danny wanted him, and he was offered more money + a potential no-trade clause. That's a no-brainer for a lot of players, but Ray still chose Miami. I think the break-up is one of mutual benefit, even though, as a Boston fan, it stings that he chose the Heat.

I don't think the money really mattered.

Ray has already received a 2 year, $20 million extension from Boston. He surely couldn't have been looking for another 3 years at $27 million? He must have known that he was headed for a paycut. 3 years, $18 million would have been fine for me, but obviously it wasn't about the money. He joined the Heat for a lot less. I think he just needed a change of scenery (and what scenery is better than Miami's? reigning NBA champs, nice weather, etc).

I just want to state one thing: when people say that LeBron, Wade and Bosh took a big paycut so that Udonis Haslem could be re-signed, I laugh at that. If it was really about winning that summer, they would have taken even less (keep in mind that they received $110 million+ contracts!) to improve that god-awful bench that they had in their first go-round. That was PR.

Cool! ;)

...but i disagree.

yanksrock
07-09-2012, 10:51 AM
I think Ray Allen was right for leaving. I hate that he did though.

Baller1
07-09-2012, 12:34 PM
Yup, I don't blame Ray Ray at all. He had every right to leave.

BigBongTheory
07-09-2012, 01:00 PM
He took less to go to Miami right? I don't see why Boston's 2-12 should be balked at by anyone then.

I think he just wants a ring, like the other 3 did when they went to Souf Beech.

Evolution23
07-09-2012, 01:02 PM
no body feels bad for Ray Allen.

JasonJohnHorn
07-09-2012, 01:04 PM
I understand Allen's leaving. He should have been offered a deal similar to Garnett's. He's done a lot for Boston, I think he deserved somewhere in the ball park of what Garnett got. And Allen should not have been coming off the bench.

I really thought the Celtics would throw a three-year deal at Allen worth between 8-10 mil per year. But I guess they didn't want Allen back as badly as they wanted Garnett back.

king4day
07-09-2012, 01:30 PM
I don't think it was about the money in the end. He had a good offer on the table and I would have had the C's ahead of the Heat had he remained there. Boston got a whole lot deeper.

I believe it has more to do with the problems with Rondo. He probably wasn't happy there. He knew the Heat would compete for a ring during the duration of the deal while the C's may not.

TylerSL
07-09-2012, 01:48 PM
Celtic fans have been suprising cool about him leaving to the Heat. Do you guys still think they will retire his jersey in Boston?

FourOhThree
07-09-2012, 02:28 PM
I don't feel bad for Allen at all, he did what he wanted to do. He didn't deserve to start, especially since Avery Bradley was much better in that role and the C's were much more productive with Avery starting and Allen coming off the bench.

b@llhog24
07-09-2012, 03:11 PM

Cause Kg is a douche.