PDA

View Full Version : Melo and Colangelo call out Demarcus Cousins

Sadds The Gr8
07-08-2012, 04:29 PM
http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/08/colangelo-on-cousins-he-has-a-lot-of-growing-up-to-do/?utm_source=dlvr.it

Carmelo Anthony came out of the first day of Team USA practice in Vegas — where DeMarcus Cousins is a member of the USA Select team there to push the London-bound squad — and said this about the Kings big man of the future (via Sean Cunningham on twitter).

“He fouled the s— outta everyone.”

That didn’t impress USA Basketball president Jerry Colangelo, who was blunt about it during a conference call on Saturday night after announcing the Team USA final roster.

“Show respect to players, and you get respect back,” Colangelo said. “He needs to mature as a person, as a player if he’s going to have an outstanding NBA career. So before there’s discussion about him being part of our program, he has a lot of building to do…

“He has a lot of growing up to do.”

Cousins had run ins with former Kings coach Paul Westphal but his relationship with Keith Smart appears to be better. Smart has his ear. This is different. USA Basketball is the big boys and with them Cousins will be in for tough love.

Cousins also said during the season that if put on the Select Team he thought he would make the London squad. He’s not as close as he thinks. Coach Mike Krzyzewski is big on chemistry with this team. He and Colangelo want guys who are positive, who get along, who will represent the USA well on and off the court.

Coach K was more diplomatic in suggesting that Cousins can be that guy down the line and being on the Select Team can help him get there.

“His time here, playing in this culture and against these guys, sometimes can have a positive change for the players participating,” Krzyzewski said. “It indoctrinates (younger players), gets them accustomed to playing for their country.

MetroMan
07-08-2012, 04:32 PM
What a douche he is

KG21
07-08-2012, 04:34 PM
Gotta love this guy :)

popo85
07-08-2012, 04:37 PM
Is a top 5 center in the league just got to mentally put it together.

Avenged
07-08-2012, 04:39 PM
He'll get it together eventually.

Cfrey
07-08-2012, 04:39 PM
if you can't beat em.. foul the **** outta them

smith&wesson
07-08-2012, 04:50 PM
i dont see hard fouls as being a big deal

The goods
07-08-2012, 04:51 PM
When will he mature?

Cfrey
07-08-2012, 04:51 PM
@ smith and wesson: there is a difference between hard fouls and then just fouling for the hell of it to piss everyone else off.. he probably just got bored of playing defense and started hacking for no reason whatsoever and im assuming thats what melo and colangelo are talking about

Shareeb_omac2
07-08-2012, 04:52 PM
I don't think he will ever get it together.

Fnom11
07-08-2012, 04:56 PM
Still think he's going to be a great player once he gets his stuff together.

Big2win
07-08-2012, 04:59 PM
He is building quite an unimpressive reputation for himself. He is going to have a lifetime of regrets if he doesn't change things around.

arkanian215
07-08-2012, 05:01 PM
0a

Heatcheck
07-08-2012, 05:01 PM

you never played organized ball then.

jrm2054
07-08-2012, 05:02 PM
he needs to grow up

yanksrock
07-08-2012, 05:05 PM
I see him being one of the most hated players in the league in a few years from now.

carruthers32
07-08-2012, 05:07 PM

In practice? I don't know if you ever played basketball, but i know most coaches would get upset if you had a hard foul on a teammate during practice. Mine did at least.

smith&wesson
07-08-2012, 05:11 PM
In practice? I don't know if you ever played basketball, but i know most coaches would get upset if you had a hard foul on a teammate during practice. Mine did at least.

Just high school... maybe he is trying really hard out there. not all fouls are intentional.. if he hurt someone i could see the big deal ...

Gritz
07-08-2012, 05:13 PM
Cuz is a gangsta, they mad cuz he was probably playing hard

DerekRE_3
07-08-2012, 05:14 PM
If you watched the Melo interview you'd get some context, but hey context on PSD is overrated. He said "he fouled the **** out of everyone" with a smile.

smith&wesson
07-08-2012, 05:18 PM
maybe melo needs to grow some thicker skin. not all the youngins are star struck when playing vs lebron, melo etc.. some of these kids go hard!!

DerekRE_3
07-08-2012, 05:19 PM
maybe melo needs to grow some thicker skin. not all the youngins are star struck when playing vs lebron, melo etc.. some of these kids go hard!!

You should go look at the full quote:
"He was fouling the **** out of everybody, but we like that here."

Yep definitely a call out by Melo.

KingsPhillies
07-08-2012, 05:22 PM
:facepalm: *sigh* Here we go again...

Must be nice to be able to comment on one side of the story. Melo was using hyperbole in his comment(I didn't hear Iggy complaining), but was merely stating a fact. He got in foul trouble; it happens. I know most of you WANT him to fail, but you should at least be fair about it. In order to make him look bad, they'll print one sentence spoken by Melo, but there was no mention of Kobe's opinion.

Kobe Bryant is among Cousins' biggest supporters and believes he could provide the team with much needed physicality in international play.

"European basketball is extremely physical," Bryant said. "He brings a physicality to the game that really changes the energy of the game. He's not afraid to make contact, he's not afraid to upset guys and kind of make the game uncomfortable."

Bryant said because of Cousins size and that physicality - and his ability to shoot, he'd love to have Cousins on the team in the London games.

See? Not everyone associated with Team USA has a problem with Cousins. I am a vocal Kobe hater, but he really has a point here. Cousins would've made this team that much more physical(Barkley, anyone?). Regardless, if Colangelo didn't want Cousins on the team, fine, that's his decision. But there's no need to subsequently knock his dick in the dirt. It was not necessary. Coach K conveyed his point just fine without the need to be a prick about it.

How about giving DeMarcus a little credit for actually wanting to play for Team USA and represent his country? He was honored just to be there. Did he go to Vegas was a bit of a chip on his shoulder? Yes he did. That's called 'confidence', and all the great ones have it.

Patriotsfan97
But no one heard the rest of the interview? Melo said it in a joking manner and beyond that said we like that though. That's how it will be overseas. They said the team loved DMC. More Taking a quote for a different meaning. Jeez

JasonJohnHorn
If you fouled a lot that says something about his defence. One of Oden's biggest problems (besides his injuries) is the fact that he committed so many fouls. That is NOT good, especially in international play. If he can't gaurd somebody without committing a foul, why would you want him on your team? He's just going to end up fouling out and putting the other team on the line a lot.

This kid is very talented, but he's got to bring his FG% up and he's got to mature as a person and player. He could easily be the best center in the league in a couple of years if he had the work ethic and maturity of a guy like Karl Malone or Mutumbo.

Losoway
07-08-2012, 05:25 PM
hard fouling in a scrimmage is uncalled for

smh this kid has issues

JasonJohnHorn
07-08-2012, 05:26 PM

Must be nice to be able to comment on one side of the story. Melo was using hyperbole in his comment(I didn't hear Iggy complaining), but was merely stating a fact. He got in foul trouble; it happens. I know most of you WANT him to fail, but you should at least be fair about it. In order to make him look bad, they'll print one sentence spoken by Melo, but there was no mention of Kobe's opinion.

See? Not everyone associated with Team USA has a problem with Cousins. I am a vocal Kobe hater, but he really has a point here. Cousins would've made this team that much more physical(Barkley, anyone?). Regardless, if Colangelo didn't want Cousins on the team, fine, that's his decision. But there's no need to subsequently knock his dick in the dirt. It was not necessary. Coach K conveyed his point just fine without the need to be a prick about it.

How about giving DeMarcus a little credit for actually wanting to play for Team USA and represent his country? He was honored just to be there. Did he go to Vegas was a bit of a chip on his shoulder? Yes he did. That's called 'confidence', and all the great ones have it.

Excellent post! Team USA does need more size too... they only have one center and only two power forwards. That is NOT a deep front court. This roster would have been eaten alive by the Dream Team with Ewing and Robinson and Malone and Barkley. With the roster they have, this team is going to have to go with small line-ups a lot, and that may very well spell trouble for them.

jim51990
07-08-2012, 05:34 PM
melo is soft as can be
thou cousins needs to grow up hes already prob the 3rd best center if he matures he could be the best

tapajafri
07-08-2012, 06:09 PM
he'll get it together because his "immature" acts come from his frustration when his team keeps losing. It shows that at least he's passionate and wants to win. Just needs to control his emotions better. Other than that, he's already a top 3 center in the entire NBA and has the potential to one day, be the best center in the league. He's a special talent.

$GangGr33n$
07-08-2012, 06:30 PM
melo is soft as can be
thou cousins needs to grow up hes already prob the 3rd best center if he matures he could be the best

How is Melo soft? I never see him flailing and flopping around, he doesnt shy away from contact.... so how is he soft

$GangGr33n$
07-08-2012, 06:31 PM
Cousins is NASTY! i love how he plays, he does need to stop fouling so much though even if they do like it

NY007
07-08-2012, 06:33 PM
A lot of talent he just really needs to grow up, I hope he will for the Kings sake.

NY007
07-08-2012, 06:36 PM
melo is soft as can be

He doesn't shy away from contact and doesn't flop.. how is he soft? Or are you just a Melo hater and saying stupid **** out of your mouth.

KniCks4LiFe
07-08-2012, 06:42 PM
hack him for me Cousins. :laugh2:

this is so over blown it's not even funny. Me personally I've always loved Cousins since UK

smith&wesson
07-08-2012, 06:44 PM
You should go look at the full quote:
"He was fouling the **** out of everybody, but we like that here."

Yep definitely a call out by Melo.

your right

but hey my point is that its a non issue. i think were agreeing here :)

Blink
07-08-2012, 06:47 PM
So this is the way of the center these days...d12, bynum, dmc...who's next?

Andre Drummond is here to carry the torch!

Phenomenonsense
07-08-2012, 06:50 PM
haha, he'll NEVER get it together.

Punk
07-08-2012, 06:55 PM
Am the only who finds more morons on this forum more than usual? Melo said "He found thet **** out of EVERYONE"...So, explain to me how is he soft if he was talking about EVERYONE?

Really?...He's apart of Team USA and all he's doing is trying to hurt his own team.

ESaady
07-08-2012, 06:57 PM
Cousins is the ****.

rocket
07-08-2012, 07:06 PM

Probably not.

dtmagnet
07-08-2012, 07:32 PM
People, I would be a little more focused on what Colangelo thinks of him and less so of what the players think of him.

torocan
07-08-2012, 07:33 PM
If he's hard fouling during a select team scrimmage, he needs a smack upside the head.

If he's constantly soft fouling during a select team scrimmage, he needs to learn how to play proper D or he'll get killed in international play.

Either way, would be bad judgement.

Ebbs
07-08-2012, 07:54 PM
That's sad because Cousins said in a Slam article that he modeld his game off of Carmelo's lol.

kingsdelez24
07-08-2012, 08:14 PM
Gotta love boogie cousins

DaVille
07-08-2012, 09:24 PM
say whatever you want about cousins. The guy is a beast. As he gets older, maturity will follow. His basketball skills are undeniable.

PleaseBeNice
07-08-2012, 09:40 PM
YA COUSINS NEED TO GROW UP HE IS SO IMMATURE. I dont even know what happened but GROW UP COUSINS YOU BABY. Let me take it out of context some more GROW UP

b@llhog24
07-08-2012, 09:43 PM
haha, he'll NEVER get it together.

He'll still always be better than Drummound. :shrug:

Gators123
07-08-2012, 09:47 PM

I think you're obsessed with the Pistons.

b@llhog24
07-08-2012, 09:49 PM
I think you're obsessed with the Pistons.

Based on?

JLynn943
07-08-2012, 10:01 PM
The NBA forum taking something entirely out of context based on a biased OP? Go figure...

fadedmario
07-08-2012, 10:16 PM
Monroe >>>>>>>> Cousins

droalex
07-08-2012, 10:16 PM
Why isn't Bynum on the olympic team?

fadedmario
07-08-2012, 10:17 PM

Drummond has more potential in his pinky than fat Cousins with the mental disorder.

fadedmario
07-08-2012, 10:26 PM
Metta World Peace 2.0

JLynn943
07-08-2012, 10:29 PM
Drummond has more potential in his pinky than fat Cousins with the mental disorder.

Lol, you wish

b@llhog24
07-08-2012, 10:30 PM
Monroe >>>>>>>> Cousins

Haha Greg is better but you know that's not true. :D

Shaq was kinda fat. :shrug:

fadedmario
07-08-2012, 10:31 PM
Lol, you wish

Andre Drummond's potential is much higher than Cousins. He's also 18 years old. Cousins is going into his 3rd NBA season and his character is still being questioned.

lol, I don't wish.

fadedmario
07-08-2012, 10:32 PM
Derrick Coleman 2.0

JayAllDay
07-08-2012, 10:36 PM
you never played organized ball then.

Organized anything, let alone ball....

It's a practice. We're talking about practice.

JLynn943
07-08-2012, 10:40 PM
Andre Drummond's potential is much higher than Cousins. He's also 18 years old. Cousins is going into his 3rd NBA season and his character is still being questioned.

lol, I don't wish.

When Melo, Duncan, and Kobe have good things to say about Drummond, let me know.

fadedmario
07-08-2012, 10:41 PM
When Melo, Duncan, and Kobe have good things to say about Drummond, let me know.

lol - he's 18 years old.

Wolfman01
07-08-2012, 10:45 PM

Nice Sign.

JLynn943
07-08-2012, 10:48 PM
lol - he's 18 years old.

And is a giant question mark that team's were afraid to touch who hasn't proven a thing. I'd take Cousins over him (or any young center) any day. Half of Cousins "maturity issues" are made up/blown out of proportion anyway (like this one for example).

GoPacers33
07-08-2012, 10:49 PM

x2

THE MTL
07-08-2012, 11:12 PM
Some ppl should have just remained in college all four years.

GREATNESS ONE
07-08-2012, 11:14 PM

Maybe but he needs to really snap out of it, I know he's a King but I hope he figures it out, he's got a lot of potential.

roshan3ai
07-08-2012, 11:21 PM
:laugh2: I love Cousins

sharqstealth
07-08-2012, 11:49 PM
He never seems to learn. I don't think he'll ever grow up. CRYBABY

Bigbadmoffo
07-09-2012, 12:44 AM
Good basketball is too soft as it is!

Bigbadmoffo
07-09-2012, 12:48 AM
He never seems to learn. I don't think he'll ever grow up. CRYBABY

Pretty sure it's melo and Jerry crying. Cousin is just a hard dude but I agree he needs a attitude check. I'm all for hard fouls though with the money they're making.

Glen20
07-09-2012, 12:49 AM
Good basketball is too soft as it is!

then dont follow it hardnuts

TeamSeattle
07-09-2012, 12:52 AM
For all guys complaining about hard fouls this is a "practice" session not the nba playoffs where everything is on the line. Anybody can see Cousins is a big baby to begin with. He was probly mad the knicks mopped the floor with them in the regular season or something.

blastmasta26
07-09-2012, 01:00 AM
So many people jumping to false conclusions here.

kmoneyjuice
07-09-2012, 01:01 AM
What a douche he is

Thats funny coming from a guy with your sig. Even so, rather be a douche than a rapist.

kmoneyjuice
07-09-2012, 01:03 AM
I see him being one of the most hated players in the league in a few years from now.

Like A-Rod is in Baseball?

Shlumpledink
07-09-2012, 01:09 AM
There is committing hard fouls, and there is just plain fouling a lot. If its fouling enough to the point of a player and the coach and the president or whatever of the team are complaining about it, which seems to be the case, I think its an issue. I don't know what there is to any of the info that we have that would make people infer that its just fouling a couple players hard. It seems to me that he's not even freaking trying and just fouling. He is either inept, or a douche. I do not think he is inept at all.

Sactown
07-09-2012, 01:15 AM
He's playing the most physically gifted players in the NBA... who's to say he wasn't just playing physical?? and everyone is taking this quote way out of context...

bearadonisdna
07-09-2012, 01:17 AM
Wow a team USA member whining about something.
Didnt see that coming.

rickshaw
07-09-2012, 01:18 AM
Ok, Melo's quote shouldn't have been taken as a negative.

But Colangelo's undoubtedly should.

“Show respect to players, and you get respect back,” Colangelo said. “He needs to mature as a person, as a player if he’s going to have an outstanding NBA career. So before there’s discussion about him being part of our program, he has a lot of building to do…

“He has a lot of growing up to do.”

Unrequited
07-09-2012, 01:26 AM
he needs to grow up

i love your sig

iFYouSeekAmy
07-09-2012, 01:34 AM

/thread.

trolled so hard

tapajafri
07-09-2012, 02:16 AM
Cousins is the the 3rd best center in the NBA right now. He'll put the mental stuff together eventually.

hyphy king 88
07-09-2012, 02:22 AM
Sean Cunningham ‏@News10Sean
Observor of the US Select Team scrimmage said DeMarcus Cousins was the best player on the floor today & said he was "unstoppable" #nbakings

Media wasn't allowed to watch Select Team Scrimmage, heard from an observor from another NBA team that DeMarcus Cousins was a beast today

LeBron James on Cousins: He's a great talent. I've always looked at him as on the brink of being one of the best PF or centers in NBA

Impressed with the way Cousins utilized his 6-foot-11, 270-pound frame to pound and foul and elbow with impunity during Friday's scrimmage, Bryant lobbied hard for his inclusion on the final roster. So did James.

stawka
07-09-2012, 02:24 AM
lol I like Cousins. He's gonna be a beast man. I get a feeling he's gonna be the main cause of a brawl this Olympics though hehe

TheHighLife
07-09-2012, 03:38 AM
Demarcus doesn't need to grow up. People just need to stop taking everything so seriously.

DerekRE_3
07-09-2012, 03:53 AM
Observor of the US Select Team scrimmage said DeMarcus Cousins was the best player on the floor today & said he was "unstoppable" #nbakings

Media wasn't allowed to watch Select Team Scrimmage, heard from an observor from another NBA team that DeMarcus Cousins was a beast today

LeBron James on Cousins: He's a great talent. I've always looked at him as on the brink of being one of the best PF or centers in NBA

But hey let's ignore all that, right?

NBA fans will either get Boogie or they won't. It's that simple. And for those who don't, you are missing out. He's a fascinating athlete.

He should have been on the team. Colangelo is missing out on a great player who desperately wants to be on the team and represent his country. He plays with passion, sometimes too much. But nobody can question his love of the game and how much he wants to win.

Davidgta1
07-09-2012, 04:07 AM
but hey let's ignore all that, right?

Nba fans will either get boogie or they won't. It's that simple. And for those who don't, you are missing out. He's a fascinating athlete.

He should have been on the team. Colangelo is missing out on a great player who desperately wants to be on the team and represent his country. He plays with passion, sometimes too much. But nobody can question his love of the game and how much he wants to win.

+1

bootleg42
07-09-2012, 04:12 AM
This should be Melo's new catchphrase..."He fouled the s— outta everyone.”

Bigbadmoffo
07-09-2012, 04:43 AM
then dont follow it hardnuts

So if I dislike one aspect of something I should stay away. Ppl wouldn't leave there house if that was case!

Bigbadmoffo
07-09-2012, 04:53 AM
Melo is soft it's no surprise he *****ed. Lebron and Kobe said they want him and they are miles above the bum they call melo!

kblo247
07-09-2012, 05:42 AM

NBA fans will either get Boogie or they won't. It's that simple. And for those who don't, you are missing out. He's a fascinating athlete.

Really and truly reminds me of young Sheed

GoferKing_
07-09-2012, 09:26 AM
I love when ppl are reading only selected lines and don't have a clue on what they comment on. ;)

Knicks21
07-09-2012, 09:36 AM
He doesnt represent himself well, that is why he is not on the team.

Corey
07-09-2012, 12:58 PM
They're mad because he fouled too hard?

:laugh:

NBA players are so ****ing soft these days.

Raph12
07-09-2012, 01:18 PM
http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/08/colangelo-on-cousins-he-has-a-lot-of-growing-up-to-do/?utm_source=dlvr.it

@ your sig; great fight, glad Sonnen got his *** beat...

Kashmir13579
07-09-2012, 01:25 PM
Cousins is a joke. I've said it from day 1.

Sadds The Gr8
07-09-2012, 01:27 PM
@ your sig; great fight, glad Sonnen got his *** beat...

yea it was great

LOOTERX9
07-09-2012, 02:32 PM
Cousins is a malcontent . I don't like this guy. he's a cancer

KingsMadness44
07-09-2012, 02:48 PM
damn, i didn't know this many people on the site know Cousins personally??? Or at least it sounds like a lot of you know him personally....

b@llhog24
07-09-2012, 02:55 PM
Melo is soft it's no surprise he *****ed. Lebron and Kobe said they want him and they are miles above the bum they call melo!

:facepalm:

GoferKing_
07-09-2012, 04:51 PM
Cousins is a malcontent . I don't like this guy. he's a cancer

I think you are ignorant and didn't even read the whole thing, or an additional reading of the source or supplement, so you now only a part that was cut from the whole which shows how much they like Cousins there. Mayby except Colangelo.

IVE GOT WOOD
07-09-2012, 05:07 PM
say whatever you want about cousins. The guy is a beast. As he gets older, maturity will follow. His basketball skills are undeniable.

Who gives a **** about Cousins fouling everyone we should be talking about how awesome DaVille's sig is! I can watch that clip of Alba's @$$ all day long!

PhillyBoomerang
07-09-2012, 05:38 PM
Cousins has the ability to be Great,being on the Kings i fear that the day might never come.. Until some vets want to go to Sacramento help tutor this kid to be a winner and a Threat both ends.. All things are solved with Winning.. at least in sports lol

thephoenixson28
07-09-2012, 05:48 PM
JeffZillgitt Jeff Zillgitt
Colangelo said Cousins "had some growing up to do." Said Cousins: "I asked him how I was being immature. He never really gave me an answer."

tapajafri
07-12-2012, 07:55 AM

couldn't agree more. but hey, sometimes life isn't fair and sometimes there are people/media/fans out there that aren't so easy to convince. No doubt though that the US team NEEDS him and Colangelo made a mistake.

DreamShaker
07-12-2012, 12:00 PM

His purpose is to help warm up Team USA, not hurt them. In the playoffs, maybe, but that is like Joel Anthony giving hard fouls to Lebron and Wade in practice. ITS THE SAME TEAM!

JLynn943
07-12-2012, 12:13 PM
His purpose is to help warm up Team USA, not hurt them. In the playoffs, maybe, but that is like Joel Anthony giving hard fouls to Lebron and Wade in practice. ITS THE SAME TEAM!

Melo said that Cousins is playing how Team USA needs him to play to get them in gear for the Olympics :shrug:

Stinkyoutsider
07-12-2012, 01:06 PM
LOL! I think it's funny as **** what Melo said.

The select team is supposed to push the Olympic squad to be better, not to break their legs. Cousins needs to be smart and not blow the opportunity.

DerekRE_3
07-12-2012, 02:03 PM
LOL! I think it's funny as **** what Melo said.

The select team is supposed to push the Olympic squad to be better, not to break their legs. Cousins needs to be smart and not blow the opportunity.

You need to be smart and look at the context of the quote. He said in a joking way.