PDA

View Full Version : Micah Owings to be position player

SportsNY
07-08-2012, 03:43 PM
Micah Owings to be position player

SAN DIEGO -- Injured San Diego Padres pitcher Micah Owings will attempt to return to the majors as a position player on Monday.

San Diego manager Bud Black said Saturday that Owings will report to the Padres' Arizona League affiliate in Peoria, Ariz., the site of the team's spring training base.

Owings, on the disabled list with a strained right forearm since April 26, is expected to play two or three games in Peoria before going to Triple-A Tucson. Owings will play first base, left field and designated hitter.

"It's a new adventure, a new challenge," said Owings. "I'm excited."

Owings, 32-33 with a 4.86 ERA in 138 games over six seasons, has a career batting average of .286 with nine homers and 35 RBIs in 205 at-bats. He has been used numerous times as a pinch hitter.

Black said Owings injury, which moved him from the 15-day DL to the 60-DL on May 8, has taken longer than expected to heal. Owings said he doesn't feel like he will be able to pitch any time soon.

"He indicated a strong desire to get back on the field and hit," Black said. "He's highly motivated to do this."

Black said it was Owings' idea initially, but added that he and the team's front office supported the idea.

"I'll be a position player who can also pitch," Owings said.

Said Black: "The forearm injury hasn't allowed him to get on the mound. But instead of waiting for it to heal, he wants to see what it's like to be a position player."

Owings was 0-2 with a 2.79 ERA in six appearances for the Padres this season.

Link: http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/8139908/san-diego-padres-pitcher-micah-owings-attempt-comeback-hitter

SportsNY
07-08-2012, 03:43 PM
I wonder why he decided to do this now, he's not having a terrible season. I also remember Owings being a great hitter.

Jeffy25
07-08-2012, 03:50 PM
I thought this was announced like a week ago.

I do hope he doesn't give up on pitching all together.

We have had so many two way players in the last ten years, but rarely are they all-stars at either position.

metswon69
07-08-2012, 04:01 PM
He certainly has the bat to hit somewhere, it's just a matter of finding a position for him which is probably the tough part.

Jeffy25
07-08-2012, 04:02 PM
He certainly has the bat to hit somewhere, it's just a matter of finding a position for him which is probably the tough part.

He would have to remain at a corner position, which I don't know if his bat is that good.

Defensively, third would be the most challenging, right field would probably make the most sense.

popo85
07-08-2012, 04:11 PM
SD needs as much help as possible on offense.

ciaban
07-08-2012, 04:22 PM
this is cool, he could be a position player and then maybe do occasional relief you know mop up type work

MetsFanatic19
07-08-2012, 04:26 PM
i hope it works out for him, but he does it the right way, not like ankiel

FWBrodie
07-08-2012, 04:40 PM
Awesome. Who doesn't love pitchers that can hit?

TAC91
07-08-2012, 05:08 PM
He's got some good hitting skills at the plate. Just needs to concentrate on making contact. Rick Ankiel was the only guy that lasted in the Majors for a mid to long period of time when he changed from pitcher to position player. I love storys like this. Good luck to Owings.

thefeckcampaign
07-08-2012, 05:17 PM
I thought this was announced like a week ago.

I do hope he doesn't give up on pitching all together.

We have had so many two way players in the last ten years, but rarely are they all-stars at either position.Who are they? I can only think of 2.

Jeffy25
07-08-2012, 05:27 PM
Who are they? I can only think of 2.

Adam Loewen
Rick Ankiel
Micah Owings are the only big leaguers that I can think of off the top of my head

But there are a massive number of minor leaguers.
Just in the Cards system, I can name 10 guys that have converted in the last 3 years after making an attempt at one position.

This past draft was a good example of guys. A lot of two-way players that are really talented, but where do you develop them? That is the question.

Jeffy25
07-08-2012, 05:28 PM
I wonder why he decided to do this now, he's not having a terrible season. I also remember Owings being a great hitter.

Because of an injury he sustained.

metswon69
07-08-2012, 05:35 PM
He would have to remain at a corner position, which I don't know if his bat is that good.

Defensively, third would be the most challenging, right field would probably make the most sense.

Well he is definitely on the right team to challenge for a spot with the bat because the Padres are horrible offensively.

chicagofan71
07-08-2012, 06:23 PM
Adam Loewen
Rick Ankiel
Micah Owings are the only big leaguers that I can think of off the top of my head

But there are a massive number of minor leaguers.
Just in the Cards system, I can name 10 guys that have converted in the last 3 years after making an attempt at one position.

This past draft was a good example of guys. A lot of two-way players that are really talented, but where do you develop them? That is the question.

Brooks Kieschnik for the win.

Good luck to Owings. He could honestly be a 2 way player given how he's not bad at pitching really, unlike the others

letsgobrownies7
07-08-2012, 10:50 PM
I wish Owings nothing but the best and I hope he does well. I have meant him a few times when he was the Reds and he was a damn good guy.

The 6-4-3
07-09-2012, 03:31 AM
I used to like to see him come up as a pinch hitter.

He's on a good team to try this conversion attempt with.

Pinstripe pride
07-09-2012, 09:25 AM
the guy can hit pretty well, so it might not be a abd idea. still a little odd, since he's pithcing well

Zaunnie
07-09-2012, 10:50 AM
I would like to see a team with an outfield of Ankiel and Owings, just because.

iam brett favre
07-09-2012, 03:57 PM
I've made this move a few times with him in baseball mogul.

Jeffy25
07-10-2012, 12:52 AM
I've made this move a few times with him in baseball mogul.

I do the same thing in OOTP.

I like to carry him as my 25th man. He can be a 5th or 6th outfielder, and be a long reliever, or a safety reliever.

I usually give him 25-75 innings depending on the team and his abilities, and about 100-250 plate appearances.

Willie Smith I believe is the last player to get to do this. In 1964 he started the season as a pitcher, he threw 31.2 IP with a 2.84 ERA and then requested to be an outfielder and hit .301 in 373 PA as an outfielder.

He remained an outfielder, but he wasn't very good overall as a hitter. He was actually a better pitcher than a hitter throughout his career. He didn't split the duties though. He only pitched 7.2 more innings later on in his career, and was mainly a 4th outfielder throughout his rather short career.

I like to use Owings this way. And the Rockies would be wise to try to get him with their new pitching rotation plan.