PDA

View Full Version : Celtics are Serious Suitor for Courtney Lee

KB-Pau-DH2012
07-08-2012, 01:05 PM
http://espn.go.com/boston/nba/story/_/id/8140713/2012-nba-free-agency-boston-celtics-serious-suitors-guard-courtney-lee-sources-say

The Boston Celtics have emerged as a serious suitor for Courtney Lee after coach Doc Rivers met with the free-agent guard Saturday night, according to sources familiar with Boston's thinking.

Sources told ESPN.com that the Celtics, in the wake of losing sharpshooter Ray Allen to the Miami Heat, have ratcheted up their pursuit of Lee as a possible replacement.

Lee averaged 11.4 points per game for the Houston Rockets last season and hit 40 percent of his 3-point attempts.

The Celtics don't have the salary-cap space to sign Lee outright, but sources say the Rockets have let it be known that they're willing to participate in sign-and-trade deals with both Marcus Camby and Lee amid the increasing likelihood that neither of those coveted free agents will be returning to Houston.

The Minnesota Timberwolves, Atlanta Hawks, Indiana Pacers, Dallas Mavericks and Phoenix Suns, sources said, are the other teams in pursuit of Lee. The Chicago Bulls have long been interested in Lee, as well, but the Bulls' limited financial flexibility means they'd also need a sign-and-trade deal to land the swingman.

Blitzbolt
07-08-2012, 01:07 PM
What about terry?

This big market teams keep stealing all the good players.

F#%kers

thekmp211
07-08-2012, 01:09 PM
terry + lee > ray ray. love it.

mvb815
07-08-2012, 01:10 PM
not a big fan of lee anymore, hasn't done anything impressive in a while. i don't see him getting much time behind terry and bradley if it happens

xxplayerxx23
07-08-2012, 01:12 PM
not a big fan of lee anymore, hasn't done anything impressive in a while. i don't see him getting much time behind terry and bradley if it happens

40 percent from 3 isnt impressive. Guy would fit in good. He can score and is a soild defender.

Avenged
07-08-2012, 01:16 PM
Meh, not a big fan personally.. But he'd be a good piece off the bench for the Celtics along with Terry.

HouRealCoach
07-08-2012, 01:19 PM
Garnett/ Melo/ Hollins
Bass/ Sullinger
Pierce/ Green
Bradley/ Lee
Rondo/ Terry

That team is looking deep... They've gotten much younger also & Doc Rivers will bring out the best in everyone

justinnum1
07-08-2012, 01:21 PM
With what money?

lee would help any contender, but boston needs to focus on getting a big that can rebound. they are awful at rebounding.

KB-Pau-DH2012
07-08-2012, 01:22 PM
Garnett/ Melo/ Hollins
Bass/ Sullinger
Pierce/ Green
Bradley/ Lee
Rondo/ Terry

That team is looking deep... They've gotten much younger also & Doc Rivers will bring out the best in everyone

No guarantee Miami makes it out of the East this time.

Swashcuff
07-08-2012, 01:25 PM
Statistically the best corner shooter from the 3 last season how could you not love this deal if you're Boston. He's also a solid defender as well.

I wanted him on my Sixers :cry:

iliketurtles24
07-08-2012, 01:28 PM
Wolves should push to get him!

popo85
07-08-2012, 01:28 PM
Lee and Terry solid pick ups.

thekmp211
07-08-2012, 01:30 PM
With what money?

lee would help any contender, but boston needs to focus on getting a big that can rebound. they are awful at rebounding.

would have liked a reggie evans but not much help looming out there.

SteBO
07-08-2012, 01:31 PM
No guarantee Miami makes it out of the East this time.
Nothing is guaranteed in this league.....

avrpatsfan
07-08-2012, 01:33 PM
Would be a great signing

justinnum1
07-08-2012, 01:34 PM
seriosuly...how much does celtics have to give? they used the mle on terry and i dont think lee will take the min...

does houston still hold his rights since they pulled their QO?

BoSox47
07-08-2012, 01:35 PM
lol he was being sarcastic

Beantownsboss
07-08-2012, 01:37 PM
That team will beat the heat this year, they were up 3-2 and 8 min away from the finals, all this without green, bradley, allen hurt, pierce hurt, steimsma hurt, wilcox out, oneal out, and now add in green, bradley, terry, sully, melo, lee, etc. watch out nba

Celtic AL
07-08-2012, 01:38 PM
seriosuly...how much does celtics have to give? they used the mle on terry and i dont think lee will take the min...

does houston still hold his rights since they pulled their QO?

Draft Picks!

justinnum1
07-08-2012, 01:44 PM
Draft Picks!

ok, but you guys are over the cap. you will have to send out contracts...probably have to send out 3mil in contracts to give lee a starting salary of 4mil

That team will beat the heat this year, they were up 3-2 and 8 min away from the finals, all this without green, bradley, allen hurt, pierce hurt, steimsma hurt, wilcox out, oneal out, and now add in green, bradley, terry, sully, melo, lee, etc. watch out nba

dont see it happening. No one has a better perimiter group of guys than miami. And the only way boston has a chance is getting some bigs that can hurt miami inside and rebounding and thats not what boston is going.

thekmp211
07-08-2012, 01:51 PM
ok, but you guys are over the cap. you will have to send out contracts...probably have to send out 3mil in contracts to give lee a starting salary of 4mil

dont see it happening. No one has a better perimiter group of guys than miami. And the only way boston has a chance is getting some bigs that can hurt miami inside and rebounding and thats not what boston is going.

rondo/bradley/pierce/lee/terry/pietrus/green/ vs. mario/wade/bron/miller/battier

i mean as long as bron is the best player on earth, the best we can do is load up with match up problems. no other team in the east can match up that well. and we are def deeper down low. so it's gonna be close again this year at least. edge to miami of course until proven otherwise.

Jint.
07-08-2012, 01:53 PM
NO Courtney..! :mad::mad:

Beantownsboss
07-08-2012, 01:54 PM
It was close last year, 8 min close, now with are guys healthy I hope, new young guys, and fa's we have a better chance

Htownballa1622
07-08-2012, 01:56 PM
I loved Courtney lee here in Houston. Great role player. Plays both sides of the ball.

I can only hope he doesn't go to my least favorite team to play with a bunch of @!+&#=$

corky831
07-08-2012, 01:58 PM
Who knows how these contracts for the Celtics are spread out....I'm sure doc wouldn't meet with him if they had no shot of signing him

justinnum1
07-08-2012, 02:06 PM
i agrre that with everyone healthy it changes things, but bosh is our most important player. bron is the best but as soon as bosh came back kg was unable to help on d and it really changed the whole series around, bosh was not even close to 100% when he returned.

it would be like the celtics not having kg for the first 4 games...

like i been saying, hopefully both teams are as healthy as possible when we meet up.

^ im sure the celtics want him im just not sure lee will take that big of a pay cut, i read somewhere he was looking 4-6mil per year

kjoke
07-08-2012, 02:12 PM
Did you guys think the celtics were just going ot get rolled over by the Heat? This same celtics team where also taken to a game 7 vs Philly. They always play hard, doesn't mean that they were so close to beating the Heat means nothing.

jayjay33
07-08-2012, 02:17 PM
Damn it!!!!! He was the guy la needed we just blew it.... Trying to suck off a guy who doesn't even wanna play with us!

Beantownsboss
07-08-2012, 02:18 PM
The sixers are a worse matchup for the celtics, its all about the matchup

jayjay33
07-08-2012, 02:21 PM
An go to the celts? They got to many guards . He would get a ton of pt In la.

Chronz
07-08-2012, 03:25 PM
lol at the Bulls, they couldve worked something out for Asik, they refused to trade last year too. I doubt Houston scratches their back when they refused to return the favor.

SportsNY
07-08-2012, 03:32 PM
The Celtics are gonna give the Heat a run for their money.

GoneGuru
07-08-2012, 03:33 PM
boston has no money for this and a hard cap at $74 million due to terry.

this has no legs.

gotoHcarolina52
07-08-2012, 03:34 PM
Stein:

The Celtics don't have the salary-cap space to sign Lee outright, but sources say the Rockets have let it be known that they're willing to participate in sign-and-trade deals with . . . Lee.

I heard Houston is looking for non-guaranteed deals and draft picks.

SpeeMN
07-08-2012, 03:42 PM
Timberwolves. Batum is staying a Blazer. The wolves have money and a SG is our #1 priority.

letsgobrownies7
07-08-2012, 04:03 PM
Please get this done Danny boy!!

Patriotsfan97
07-08-2012, 04:19 PM
Stein:

I heard Houston is looking for non-guaranteed deals and draft picks.

It's gonna get done! What a backcourt thE Celts will have. Add in camby for steimsma and a pick and we will be amazing next year.

AntiG
07-08-2012, 06:25 PM
An go to the celts? They got to many guards . He would get a ton of pt In la.

The don't have too many guards. An injured Bradley who will miss the beginning of the season, Rondo, and Terry. They need a guard with size that has the ability to start when Bradley is out.

Patriotsfan97
07-08-2012, 06:33 PM
The don't have too many guards. An injured Bradley who will miss the beginning of the season, Rondo, and Terry. They need a guard with size that has the ability to start when Bradley is out.

Bingo

Gritz
07-08-2012, 06:40 PM
Tryna get all these players and won't make it out the East

Forever35
07-08-2012, 07:54 PM
It's gonna get done! What a backcourt thE Celts will have. Add in camby for steimsma and a pick and we will be amazing next year.

Giving up picks could be costly for the future... Especially if it's a 2014 1st... Obviously the C's are trying to make a legit run while KG and PP have gas left, but the unknown will be how the C's fair in the regular season... They should have no problem making the playoffs, but they make it with a 7th or 8th seed... They still have the experience to play well on the road so a deep run is still possible...

Now lets say they get the 7th or 8th seed, as far as the draft goes that could be a middle teens pick...

Houston knows the C's are in a bind with AB, so they will ask for the farm for Lee and Camby... DA cannot be blindsided by McHale... Only McHale is supposed to get blindsided...

thekmp211
07-08-2012, 08:06 PM
they owuld have to sign and trade someone it looks like. maybe dooling or daniels, package him with one of last years rooks and a future pick.

Patriotsfan97
07-08-2012, 08:20 PM
Giving up picks could be costly for the future... Especially if it's a 2014 1st... Obviously the C's are trying to make a legit run while KG and PP have gas left, but the unknown will be how the C's fair in the regular season... They should have no problem making the playoffs, but they make it with a 7th or 8th seed... They still have the experience to play well on the road so a deep run is still possible...

Now lets say they get the 7th or 8th seed, as far as the draft goes that could be a middle teens pick...

Houston knows the C's are in a bind with AB, so they will ask for the farm for Lee and Camby... DA cannot be blindsided by McHale... Only McHale is supposed to get blindsided...

They are losing these two in free agency anyway? It doesn't matter what we give them because they would be getting nothing in return if we didn't make a trade. Anything is good for them

Forever35
07-08-2012, 08:54 PM
They are losing these two in free agency anyway? It doesn't matter what we give them because they would be getting nothing in return if we didn't make a trade. Anything is good for them

Huh??? Why should the C's help Houston??? It's to Houston's advantage to try and S&T them before they lose them via FA... IMO DA shouldn't make any rash decisions... The C's are in a bind as far as AB's recovery goes, and teams know that...

Patriotsfan97
07-08-2012, 09:44 PM
We are only talking about offering one or two players and a pick and you are saying we give them the "farm?" we could give them barely anything and they would accept it because they were prepared to give them up in FA. Before us, there were no ST offers for the Rockets. Who said anything about helping them? We are trying to give the bare minimum.

DaVille
07-08-2012, 09:47 PM
How? unless he takes BAE

D12 fan
07-08-2012, 09:48 PM
Why are they after Lee,they already have Bradley/Jet they need size.

Blitzbolt
07-08-2012, 09:51 PM
How? unless he takes BAE

I got hook on your sig like for 5 minutes.

DaVille
07-08-2012, 10:16 PM
I got hook on your sig like for 5 minutes.

that ish is hypnotic

bearadonisdna
07-09-2012, 01:37 AM
I wonder how much Boston is offering to pay him?

bearadonisdna
07-09-2012, 01:39 AM
The 6 mil per year they were offering allen?
More?

Glen20
07-09-2012, 01:50 AM
More?

theyd offer that to mayo before theyd offer it to lee

bearadonisdna
07-09-2012, 01:57 AM
theyd offer that to mayo before theyd offer it to lee

So what u think the offer is or what u think is fair?

4-5 mil?

justinnum1
07-09-2012, 02:07 AM
More?

that was bird rights money, they only have the bi and vet min to offer after hiving terry the mle

FourOhThree
07-09-2012, 02:23 AM
He would be a good fit in Boston, but as a bulls fan I'd like him in the red and white.

bearadonisdna
07-09-2012, 05:54 AM
If the C's had a trade exception, they could take on more salary than they are sending out, even if they are over the cap.

Not sure if the C's have this or not., but if they did, it would explain why they are talking to them.

Just like if the BULLS wanted him, the bulls would get a trade exception for Not picking up some player options (Brewer, Watson, Korver) and use that exception to offer Lee more than vet minimum.

TheNumber37
07-09-2012, 06:32 AM
If Lee signs with the Celtics. Than they would have the best back court rotation in the league. Lee would play REALLY well under Doc and would play great D on that team.

Rondo/Bradley - Defense
Terry/Lee - Shooting.

The way these guys defend, they'd be able to small ball teams from time with Lee at the 3, because Rondo and Bradley are such great defenders. They could play a little more uptempo like the Spurs, could be deadly.