PDA

View Full Version : Ibaka: Spain's Hoop Talent Equal To US

Cfrey
07-07-2012, 06:32 PM
http://espn.go.com/olympics/summer/2012/basketball/story/_/id/8138290/okc-serge-ibaka-says-spain-olympics-hoops-talent-matches-us

They are just like us, they also have players with a lot of talent. They are a different team to 2008, but their players are still very good.

Ibaka just gets dumber and dumber.

Cfrey
07-07-2012, 06:33 PM
Yo ibaka there is a reason you play here bro.. because this is the best basketball in the world now stfu

nirvana235
07-07-2012, 06:33 PM
http://espn.go.com/olympics/summer/2012/basketball/story/_/id/8138290/okc-serge-ibaka-says-spain-olympics-hoops-talent-matches-us

He didn't say they're equal.

Quote taken out of context.

i.got.the.nutz
07-07-2012, 06:34 PM
Isn't he the same guy that said Lebron doesn't play defense?

KniCks4LiFe
07-07-2012, 06:36 PM
bath salts?

Cfrey
07-07-2012, 06:37 PM

quotes not taken out of context at all.. he says "they are just like us".. no no serge you are not just like the US.

BSardogan
07-07-2012, 06:39 PM
quotes not taken out of context at all.. he says "they are just like us".. no no serge you are not just like the US.

He says they are like Spain, because they're also talented... Wth is wrong with that.

Thread fail.

justinnum1
07-07-2012, 06:40 PM
Isn't he the same guy that said Lebron doesn't play defense?

yep

Slug3
07-07-2012, 06:40 PM
When he said Lebron couldn't play D a lot of speculation was that his bad English was to blame. Maybe its the same thing for this.

Cfrey
07-07-2012, 06:41 PM
He says they are like Spain, because they're also talented... Wth is wrong with that.

Thread fail.

there's talented players in every single country in the world.. does that mean overall they are on par with the best basketball country in the world?? NO

post fail.

BSardogan
07-07-2012, 06:45 PM
there's talented players in every single country in the world.. does that mean overall they are on par with the best basketball country in the world?? NO

post fail.

Post above you explains it. It's just his poor English, if you put yourself in his position you'd understand what he meant. ''USA is very talented, just like us'' would've been the correct way to put it, but his point is not that that are equally good as Team USA. Everyone knows that's bs. You're taking it the wrong way and calling him dumb for it.

Creative ending to your post btw. Never seen anything like that before.

Cfrey
07-07-2012, 06:48 PM
So just because its so dumb to compare the Spain team to team USA means it wasn't possible for him to mean that at all?? Haha you realize how dumb that sounds right?? You're basically saying that no one in their right mind would ever say that so this must not be true... or maybe Ibaka is just that dumb and I'm going to go with the ladder since previous comments have illustrated this dude as not the brightest bulb in the bunch.. now thanks and bye

Davidgta1
07-07-2012, 06:52 PM
Kobe lebron KD Spain has nothing to match that.

BSardogan
07-07-2012, 06:53 PM
So just because its so dumb to compare the Spain team to team USA means it wasn't possible for him to mean that at all?? Haha you realize how dumb that sounds right?? You're basically saying that no one in their right mind would ever say that so this must not be true... or maybe Ibaka is just that dumb and I'm going to go with the ladder since previous comments have illustrated this dude as not the brightest bulb in the bunch.. now thanks and bye

I'm saying the fact that you take ''They're just like us, very talented'' means ''Spain's Hoop Talent Equal to US'' and not ''They are talented just like us''... I hope you understand how dumb that sounds and why therefore this is a bit of a fail thread. At least you could have put it in a way that you question what he exactly meant by saying that, instead of starting off with ''Ibaka's getting dumber and dumber'' because obviously that might very well not be the case.

And you're welcome, see ya.

5ass
07-07-2012, 06:55 PM

make sure its sturdy before u get on it.

North Yorker
07-07-2012, 07:01 PM
What a stupid thread.

ThunderousDemon
07-07-2012, 07:07 PM
Cfrey and stupid threads go together like **** and toilet paper.

scaramantula
07-07-2012, 07:12 PM
What a stupid thread.

:clap:

JerseyPalahniuk
07-07-2012, 07:20 PM
Wow dude. Switch around what he said "they are just like us, they have a lot of talent" THAT is all he was trying to say. They have talent. Chill with the hate

jimm120
07-07-2012, 07:24 PM

Thread fail.

I know. I've been reading his responses and he seems to be one of those Fox News people that just find something to complain about.

The US is the top in NBA definitely. He's just saying that Spain has talent too, which EVERY country that has qualified in the olympics does.

Sadds The Gr8
07-07-2012, 07:25 PM

/thread.

Bigbadmoffo
07-07-2012, 07:29 PM
America just has too many projects for anyone to challenge them.

Mikeleafs
07-07-2012, 07:29 PM
Serge is Spanish? I thought he was African...

Gritz
07-07-2012, 07:30 PM
Why does he play for Spain anyway?

Bigbadmoffo
07-07-2012, 07:31 PM
God forbid you challenge the American ego!

Bigbadmoffo
07-07-2012, 07:32 PM

Closest country with a basketball net:p

North Yorker
07-07-2012, 07:34 PM

Because he is a citizen of Spain........

Baller1
07-07-2012, 07:35 PM
Serge is Spanish? I thought he was African...

He's from the Congo, but fled the country and began playing professional basketball in Spain when he was sixteen (I may be wrong on the age). He applied for citizenship a few years back and was granted. So that's why he'll be playing for Spain.

This thread is a joke though.

ThunderousDemon

He became a Spanish citizen.

Bigbadmoffo
If you put as many courts in these countries as th u.s they would produce just as much talent. It's just like Canada being good at hockey there's more rinks...throw some indoor rinks in other countries and they will be just as good. Humans are humans it's not like ppl from one country are better then another.

Mr Costanza
07-07-2012, 07:37 PM
Can a mod change the title? Never said equal, just said they have talent.

FraziersKnicks
07-07-2012, 07:47 PM
Misinterpreted quote, but coming from the same moron who said LeBron doesn't play good defense, this wouldn't surprise me....

Hawkeye15
07-07-2012, 07:48 PM
didn't Spain take us down to the wire last time around? I will admit, the US is waaaaaaaaaaaaay deeper in basketball talent, and things would be very different if the world played under NBA rules and not FIBA rules, but Spain fields a team with multiple NBA players who have been together a long time, and are very familiar with the FIBA rules compared to our guys who need a slight adjustment every go-around.

But yes, the depth of talent in the U.S. far surpasses any country.

Ibaka is not saying they are as talented exactly btw, he is saying Spain is talented too, just like the U.S.

thekmp211
07-07-2012, 07:49 PM
cool story hansel

Mikeleafs
07-07-2012, 07:49 PM
You should only be eligible to play for the country you were born in...

CavsYanksDuke
07-07-2012, 08:02 PM
He's stupid. - LeBron James

StinkEye
07-07-2012, 08:07 PM
who ****ing cares?

BALLER R
07-07-2012, 08:18 PM
He's right now

PurpleJesus
07-07-2012, 08:24 PM
` ╰—┘ 。 ┅★`_、
│\__╭╭╭╭╭__/│   
│           │  
│           │ 
│ ●       ● │ 
│≡    o    ≡│
│           │ 
╰——┬O◤▽◥O┬——╯
   |  o  |
   |╭---╮| ┌┬┬┬┐ 
╞╧╧╧╧══╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╡

John Walls Era
07-07-2012, 08:26 PM

Thread fail.

The operative word I guess.

BSardogan
07-07-2012, 08:30 PM
The operative word I guess.

But hes wrong anyways, they are not as talented as the US. Spain stands a chance to win only on coaching and schemes, not 1 on 1 talent like Ibaka is saying.

Again, you can interperate this is so many ways, but how I see it is that in no way he compared the level of talent of both teams, he just called out that the US is very talented and that Spain is too. He certainly didn't aim to state that Team Spain is equally talented as Team USA.

JWO35
07-07-2012, 08:32 PM
You should only be eligible to play for the country you were born in...

Steve Nash playing for South Africa:laugh2:

conway429
07-07-2012, 08:34 PM
God forbid you challenge the American ego!

haha exactly.
All he's saying is that Spain has a talented team as well, and will be able to field a team that will compete with the US.
Do you disagree? Do you think the US is gonna win 200-0 every game?

Hellcrooner
07-07-2012, 08:39 PM
:facepalm:

Ibaka dumbass, out chances are taking them by surprise.
With these comments they will come extra motivated against us..........

Sly Guy
07-07-2012, 08:46 PM

this. Leave the kid alone, nowhere did he say equal. But mark my words, coming from a Canadian who watched the world catch up in hockey talent, these same attitudes will allow the rest of the world catch up in b-ball.

passittome
07-08-2012, 01:33 AM
Kobe lebron KD Spain has nothing to match that.

defense of marc gasol, paul gasol, and ibaka. US has better athletes and will be a show in transition but Spain will have the size advantage inside with US injuries. Not picking sides but nothing wrong with his confidence in his country when they are considered top 3 in the world and won the silver at the last olympics.

Ezio
07-08-2012, 01:58 AM
Yeah but they are gonna miss Rubio a lot in these Olympics.

LA_Raiders
07-08-2012, 02:06 AM
Yes they are. Specially since Leflop can do the crab.... and flop

akagiredsuns
07-08-2012, 02:17 AM

latter :facepalm:

I Rock Shaqs
07-08-2012, 02:23 AM
Like seriously, why are so many americans complete a-holes, jus finished well ealier tonight finished watching ufc 148 and they were completely class-less, and the guy who made this thread is being a douche.

Toxeryll
07-08-2012, 02:30 AM
this thread is :facepalm: worthy

iamsteel
07-08-2012, 02:38 AM
Of course Spain has talent. So do many other teams. But not the talent the US has. Talent alone doesn't win games though. The rest of the world will be fighting with determination and solid, fundamental play. The US is still gonna have a fight most games because of the intangibles.

cambovenzi
07-08-2012, 08:52 AM
Of course Spain has talent. So do many other teams. But not the talent the US has. Talent alone doesn't win games though. The rest of the world will be fighting with determination and solid, fundamental play. The US is still gonna have a fight most games because of the intangibles.

I seriously doubt it.
They scored 20 more PPG than the next highest team in their group in 2008 while allowing the fewest points.
Average winning margin of 32.2 points in those games.

Spain was the only opponent to lose by fewer than 20 points, and only did so in 1 of the 2 games they played the US.(Some people tend toforget we played them in group play. a 37 point thrashing.)

2012 team is supposed to be even better.

Iron24th
07-08-2012, 11:36 AM
No matter what ibaka says, spain will get killed by team USA.

Glen20
07-08-2012, 11:37 AM
Yes they are. Specially since Leflop can do the crab.... and flop

and the win

Blitzbolt
07-08-2012, 11:37 AM
Marc Gasol will own chandler.

Cfrey
07-08-2012, 11:39 AM

lol i remember seeing this post last night and just started laughing out loud hahahahaha

raidersrock99
07-08-2012, 11:50 AM

post fail.

the quote doesnt say that spain is = to the u.s so thread fail

Cfrey
07-08-2012, 11:55 AM
I basically took the title from whatever the headline was which is why it says equal.. the headline was obviously wrong but I guess I failed =( oh noes

Gators123
07-08-2012, 11:56 AM
Like seriously, why are so many americans complete a-holes, jus finished well ealier tonight finished watching ufc 148 and they were completely class-less, and the guy who made this thread is being a douche.

Are you angry?

bonesaw4343
07-08-2012, 11:58 AM
It's really annoying that so many people are trying to make Ibaka seem like he's talking all this trash. Both this and the Lebron quote are completely out of context. The guy speaks very little English still and if one or two words are off in a sentence it can completely change the meaning. It's a shame reporters keep interviewing him in hopes his English will slip up and make a story out of it. When he was drafted he spoke no English at all.

Big Zo
07-08-2012, 11:58 AM
"I sorry. I no speaka English berry good. What I meant to say was: Eddy Curry is better player than Kobe Bryant."

Hellcrooner
07-08-2012, 12:39 PM
What is truth tough, is International basket has changed a TON lately.
And spain has had an Enormous Increase in talent.

20 years ago, on the 1992 spain rosters there were just TWO players that Could have played in nba.
J Montero ( drafted in the second round never reported) could have been a bottom of the bench player.
Juan Antonio San Epifanio, ( had offer from bulls in the mid 80s but rejected cause at that time if you played in nba you couldn play with your national team) could ahve been a Sixth man.

Now spain has some nice nba talent:

Pau : All star, future Hof.
Marc: All star
RUbio: all star potential ( if he recovers well)
Mirotic: All star potential.
Ibaka: Starter
Calderon: Starter
Abrines: Starter Potential
Navarro: Starter/sixth man
Rudy: 6th man
F vazquez: 6th man potential
Claver: 6th man potential
Sergio Rodreiguez: Bench player
Llul: bench player.

and etc.

is Spain = to Usa in talent? NO
does spain have talent? Yes
Can spain beat usa? Maybe if everything goes their way.

ink
07-08-2012, 12:40 PM

They are just like us, they also have players with a lot of talent. They are a different team to 2008, but their players are still very good.

Explain what's stupid here. He's just expressing confidence. That isn't even a cocky quote. Spain has had a lot of success lately and he's competitive. What do you want him to do? Ask for autographs like the players from Angola did in 1992?

ink
07-08-2012, 12:41 PM
What is truth tough, is International basket has changed a TON lately.
And spain has had an Enormous Increase in talent.

20 years ago, on the 1992 spain rosters there were just TWO players that Could have played in nba.
J Montero ( drafted in the second round never reported) could have been a bottom of the bench player.
Juan Antonio San Epifanio, ( had offer from bulls in the mid 80s but rejected cause at that time if you played in nba you couldn play with your national team) could ahve been a Sixth man.

Now spain has some nice nba talent:

Pau : All star, future Hof.
Marc: All star
RUbio: all star potential ( if he recovers well)
Mirotic: All star potential.
Ibaka: Starter
Calderon: Starter
Abrines: Starter Potential
Navarro: Starter/sixth man
Rudy: 6th man
F vazquez: 6th man potential
Claver: 6th man potential
Sergio Rodreiguez: Bench player
Llul: bench player.

and etc.

is Spain = to Usa in talent? NO
does spain have talent? Yes
Can spain beat usa? Maybe if everything goes their way.

It's actually pretty cool what kind of a sports legacy Barcelona has had on their national teams.

Hellcrooner
07-08-2012, 12:44 PM
It's actually pretty cool what kind of a sports legacy Barcelona has had on their national teams.

Well, Only Marc, Navarro and Pau are a product of Barcelona.

Rubio was developed on jouventut, and the rest come from different teams, malaga,Real madrid, vitoria, estudiantes etc.

The best Nba Farm tough is Vitoria team, not only for spaniards but they have developed many of the international players in nba.

ink
07-08-2012, 12:50 PM
Well, Only Marc, Navarro and Pau are a product of Barcelona.

Rubio was developed on jouventut, and the rest come from different teams, malaga,Real madrid, vitoria, estudiantes etc.

The best Nba Farm tough is Vitoria team, not only for spaniards but they have developed many of the international players in nba.

I mean overall. Olympics are supposed to help the host country's programs to grow. Barcelona has had a huge positive impact on Spanish sport it seems. The number of sports they're dominant in is impressive.

I don't see anything wrong with the comments of a confident player saying that he hopes/expects to compete on an equal level. He HAS TO approach the Olympic tournament with that mindset.

Hellcrooner
07-08-2012, 12:55 PM
I mean overall. Olympics are supposed to help the host country's programs to grow. Barcelona has had a huge positive impact on Spanish sport it seems. The number of sports they're dominant in is impressive.

I don't see anything wrong with the comments of a confident player saying that he hopes/expects to compete on an equal level. He HAS TO approach the Olympic tournament with that mindset.

Yep, for barcelona olympics a great young athletes program was created with modern facilities all over teh country etc etc.
Foreign coaches were hired and etc to put the country on par with the rest of them ( we were really lacking on developement because of the 40 years of dictatorship).

sweet-d
07-08-2012, 12:57 PM
pretty dumb thread.

Losoway
07-08-2012, 01:38 PM
this the same guy lebron whipped his nuts all over during the finals?