PDA

View Full Version : Are Kobe and Nash the Best Back Court in Lakers History?

amos1er
07-07-2012, 12:56 AM
I think so. Might even be the best backcourt in the history of the NBA. I expect great things this season. :clap:

duane v
07-07-2012, 12:58 AM
Maybe 10 years ago.....

However they certainly might be the oldest:D

Hellcrooner
07-07-2012, 12:59 AM
with nash beign 38?and kobe in his middle 30s?

sorry but no.

Id rather have the prime pairing of goodrich and west, the magic and nixon and the magic and scott pairings.

if this happened 5 years ago? then yes .

amos1er
07-07-2012, 01:02 AM
Maybe 10 years ago.....

However they certainly might be the oldest:D

Not too worried about their ages. Kobe's knee surgery was a success and Nash is timeless. Nash will be able to play at a high level into his 40's for sure. He never really relied on athleticism. Its all BB IQ and one of the deadliest pure shooters in the history of the game. Nash was never even able to dunk when he was in his early 20's.

amos1er
07-07-2012, 01:05 AM
with nash beign 38?and kobe in his middle 30s?

sorry but no.

Id rather have the prime pairing of goodrich and west, the magic and nixon and the magic and scott pairings.

if this happened 5 years ago? then yes .

Though about Goodrich and West, but I have to give the nod to Kobe and Nash. Nash > Goodrich and Kobe > West...even at their current ages. Nash is the type of player that isn't effected by age as much as others as he was never an athletic player to begin with. His pure shooting ability is among the best in league history and your shot is always the last thing to go along with your playmaking ability which Nash excels in as well.

Avenged
07-07-2012, 01:06 AM
NBA & Lakers history? My goodness, no.

amos1er
07-07-2012, 01:09 AM

Who was better?

GailGoodrich
07-07-2012, 01:11 AM

Sweet! A Goodrich mention!

And don't forget: back in the day there was no 3-point shot. If there had been, there are a lot of NBA records that would look different today.

But still...best Laker back court ever? Magic and anybody. Magic and your favorite Fathead. Magic and a doughnut. Magic and an empty chair.

lakers4sho
07-07-2012, 01:17 AM
right now Magic/Scott and Thomas/Dumars are better because they have won rings together

Big Moves03
07-07-2012, 01:38 AM
Though about Goodrich and West, but I have to give the nod to Kobe and Nash. Nash > Goodrich and Kobe > West...even at their current ages. Nash is the type of player that isn't effected by age as much as others as he was never an athletic player to begin with. His pure shooting ability is among the best in league history and your shot is always the last thing to go along with your playmaking ability which Nash excels in as well.

Kobe may be slightly better than west, but goodrich was much better than nash, even better than nash in his prime. He was actually probably a better shooter than nash, which really says something.

Big Moves03
07-07-2012, 01:40 AM
right now Magic/Scott and Thomas/Dumars are better because they have won rings together

disagree with thomas and dumars. Magic and scott is close though. This backcourt may be better, but really close, tough call.

Big Moves03
07-07-2012, 01:43 AM

I think they are in the conversation. Kobe is the 2nd best 2-gaurd in nba history and nash is probably in the top 10 pg in nba history. Not sure there has ever been a back court outside of west and goodrich where both players are in the top 10 at their respective positions.

Showtime Steve
07-07-2012, 01:45 AM
Can they win first?? Nash's back must hold up.

Lakersfan2483
07-07-2012, 02:53 AM
Hard to say at this point as I have to see them play together first.

Lakersfan2483
07-07-2012, 03:02 AM
Kobe may be slightly better than west, but goodrich was much better than nash, even better than nash in his prime. He was actually probably a better shooter than nash, which really says something.

The Goodrich/Nash argument is debatable. Nash is an extremely rare breed when it comes to the point guard spot. His passing ability and court vision ranks up there with Magic and Stockton, which says a lot. His shooting ability is also off of the charts. The man shoots over 50 pct from the field, over 40 pct from the 3 point line, and 90 pct from the free throw line! He's easily one of the greatest pure shooters of all.

CalJo1617
07-07-2012, 03:05 AM
Kobe and smush

Hellcrooner
07-07-2012, 03:11 AM
The real question here is how to rate this Starting five against other lakers starting fives.

Nash, KObe, Mwp, Pau, Bynum vs

Fisher, Kobe, Fox, H grant , Shaq

Payton, kobe, George, Malone, Shaq

Magic, Scott, Worhty, Ac Green, Kareem

Magic, nixon, Wilkes, Kutchap, Kareem

Goodrich, West, Baylor, Hairston, Wilt.

Take on account the point of their careers in wich players were with those line ups.

GailGoodrich
07-07-2012, 03:26 AM
There's nothing better than rooting for a team your whole life that has those kinds of names associated with it. And as long as we're on the subject, and because it's late at night, imagine all these players playing together in their primes:

C -- Shaq
PF -- Wilt
SF -- Kareem
SG -- Kobe
PG -- Magic

Bench: West, Goodrich, Baylor, Worthy, Scott, Pau, Bynum

Give up world! Give up and go home!!!

Big Moves03
07-07-2012, 03:38 AM
The real question here is how to rate this Starting five against other lakers starting fives.

Take on account the point of their careers in wich players were with those line ups.

I'd say this is the 3rd best starting 5 we've had from those options. 1) Magic, scott, worthy, green, kareem, 2) Goodrich, West, Baylor, Hairston, Wilt, 3) Nash, Kobe, Mwp, Pau, Bynum

MickeyMgl
07-07-2012, 03:46 AM
I think so. Might even be the best backcourt in the history of the NBA. I expect great things this season. :clap:

Never heard of West & Goodrich? Johnson & Scott?

Maybe five years ago I'd put Nash & Bryant higher, but at this stage of their careers, I'd put both of the above pairs ahead of them, and maybe even Johnson & Nixon.

Laker Legend42
07-07-2012, 03:59 AM
how can this be debated when they haven't even practiced together yet? Wayy too early.

Laker Legend42
07-07-2012, 04:02 AM
I'd say this is the 3rd best starting 5 we've had from those options. 1) Magic, scott, worthy, green, kareem, 2) Goodrich, West, Baylor, Hairston, Wilt, 3) Nash, Kobe, Mwp, Pau, Bynum

Only one group of hall of famers top to bottom....WOW!!!!!

KB-Pau-DH2012
07-07-2012, 04:04 AM

don't forget

Harper, Kobe, Rice, Green, Shaq (01)

Fisher, Kobe, Fox, Horry, Shaq (02)

Fisher, Kobe, Ariza/Artest, Pau, Drew (09/10)

MickeyMgl
07-07-2012, 04:11 AM

Only one group of hall of famers top to bottom....WOW!!!!!

Which one?

GREATNESS ONE
07-07-2012, 04:17 AM
If we get Howard. Crooners question will be a lot tougher to answer.

Hellcrooner
07-07-2012, 04:22 AM
If we get Howard. Crooners question will be a lot tougher to answer.

if we get howard FOR babynum then the question becomes much easier.

MickeyMgl
07-07-2012, 04:31 AM

Besides stage of careers, does it matter how many games the players started together? I can't find whether the following five teammates ever started a game together, but it should be given strong consideration, and I'll point out why.

Magic Johnson (#1 overall pick)
Byron Scott (#4 overall pick)
James Worthy (#1 overall pick)
Mychal Thompson (#1 overall pick)
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (#1 overall pick)

Whether they ever started together or not, that's gotta be pretty unique for any five guys on the floor at the same time. Has any other team come this close to putting five guys on the floor (at any time in the game) who were all selected this close to the top of their respective drafts, and especially without any of them being busts?

Or replace Thompson with McAdoo, and you have five teammates with a total of 10 League MVPs, 5 Finals MVPs, two ROYs, and 5 Final Four MOPs.

amos1er
07-07-2012, 06:38 AM

I bet to differ.

Nash ranks much higher on the all-time 50 list than Goodrich does. Nash is also a 2 time MVP.

Laker Legend42
07-07-2012, 07:21 AM
[QUOTE=MickeyMgl;22831024]Which one?[/QUOT

LA RO
07-07-2012, 07:48 AM
Member Nick the Quick and Eddie Jones? LOL

LA RO
07-07-2012, 07:49 AM
Fisher n Kobe won rings.

atomicat10
07-07-2012, 08:44 AM
No doubt they are the best not only in Lakers history but the entire NBA.

Cant recall MVP guards teaming up together.

http://s12.postimage.org/bqjazkjwd/image00.jpg

MadBomber
07-07-2012, 09:54 AM
Hard to say at this point as I have to see them play together first.

my sentiments exactly! Sure it looks good on paper but we should wait and see how they mesh before we start proclaiming them the best back court, besides based on their age this tandem has a short expiration date.

tippa irie
07-07-2012, 12:22 PM
MAGIC/NIXON was brief but the best!!!!!!!!!!

socalpkrbkr
07-07-2012, 12:47 PM
Pretty hard for me to say when they haven't played a game together yet. I just wish they were 5 years younger.

Tymathee
07-07-2012, 01:16 PM
Michael Jordan and Ron Harper

people forget how beast Harper was, he scaled his game down for the Bulls.

Chavacano
07-07-2012, 01:18 PM
Best back court in Laker history? No.

Best back court in NBA history? No.

Best back court today? TBA. Still haven't played yet. On paper, it's arguable.

Chavacano
07-07-2012, 01:20 PM
No doubt they are the best not only in Lakers history but the entire NBA.

Cant recall MVP guards teaming up together.

http://s12.postimage.org/bqjazkjwd/image00.jpg

So Shaq and Malone in '04 must, no doubt, be the best front court duo not only in Laker history but the entire NBA too? They have 3 MVPs between them too. I can't recall MVP bigmen teaming up together. :eyebrow:

Oh. And that pic. :drool:

MickeyMgl
07-07-2012, 04:49 PM
Michael Jordan and Ron Harper

people forget how beast Harper was, he scaled his game down for the Bulls.

Blown out knee scaled Ron Harper's game down. The Clipper Curse.

Big Moves03
07-07-2012, 04:51 PM
I bet to differ.

Nash ranks much higher on the all-time 50 list than Goodrich does. Nash is also a 2 time MVP.

Are you sure about this? To my knowledge there is only one official list of the top 50 players of all time and that came out in 96 i think, so Nash would not be on the list. But there may be a more updated list that i am unaware of. Goodrich was a far superior defender and was a better scorer. Also, West and Goodrich both played together in their primes at which point, West was probably better than Kobe is at the moment. Goodrich was averaging like 23-25 pts a game during his prime, I still think he bests nash.

MickeyMgl
07-07-2012, 04:54 PM
So Shaq and Malone in '04 must, no doubt, be the best front court duo not only in Laker history but the entire NBA too? They have 3 MVPs between them too. I can't recall MVP bigmen teaming up together.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar + Bob McAdoo = 7 League MVPs
Shaquille O'Neal + Karl Malone = 3 League MVPs
Tim Duncan + David Robinson = 3 League MVPs
Hakeem Olajuwon + Charles Barkley = 2 League MVPs

MickeyMgl
07-07-2012, 04:57 PM
Are you sure about this? To my knowledge there is only one official list of the top 50 players of all time and that came out in 96. i think, so Nash would not be on the list. But there may be a more updated list that i am unaware of. Goodrich was a far superior defender and was a better scorer. Also, West and Goodrich both played together in their primes at which point, West was probably better than Kobe is at the moment. Goorich was averaging like 23-25 pts a game during his prime, I still think he bests nash.

Being the leading scorer on a 69-win team that posts a 33-game winning streak has got to count for something, too.

duane v
07-07-2012, 08:51 PM
I just wish they were 5 years younger.

me too.

Chavacano
07-08-2012, 02:15 PM
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar + Bob McAdoo = 7 League MVPs
Shaquille O'Neal + Karl Malone = 3 League MVPs
Tim Duncan + David Robinson = 3 League MVPs
Hakeem Olajuwon + Charles Barkley = 2 League MVPs

So pairing players who're past their primes warrant the "best back/frontcourt" discussion eh? :confused: Now I know.

evadatam5150
07-08-2012, 02:19 PM

You do realize they've never played one game together as Lakers right.. ??

kobeonekenobe
07-08-2012, 03:45 PM
i think the question we should all be asking ourselves is how our starting lineups compares to that of the Heat, OKC and Clippers

PG Paul>Westbrook>Nash>Chalmers
SG Kobe>Wade>Harden>Billups
SF Lebron>Durant>Artest>Butler
PF Gasol>Bosh>Griffin>Ibaka
C Bynum>Jordan>Perkins>Anthony

to me we still have the best starting unit. Its just the bench is much weaker than that of miami and okc

myqntab
07-08-2012, 07:03 PM
very close....but i still think magic and scott were better since they were together in their prime

DoubleDragon
07-08-2012, 07:19 PM
If they were both in their prime, absolutely. Both former MVP's and future hall of famers in their late 20's, forget about it.
But at this juncture of their careers, they certainly have the potential to be formidable and regardless of age, they will be a nasty twosome for any team to deal with.
I actually think alot of people underestimate what these guys can do together. Glimpses of Allstar games past brings to mind some great moments.
It's gonna be fun to see these superstar vets show the youngin's what experience and finesse can bring to the table IMO

BrewinRamLakers
07-08-2012, 07:57 PM
uh...no

PGLakers
07-08-2012, 08:54 PM
lol nash and kobe havent even played yet on Lakers team.