PDA

View Full Version : Are PGs overrated?

Longhornfan1234
07-06-2012, 08:16 PM
Been 22 years since a team won a title with their PG being the best player on the team(maybe Chauncey, but they had 5 really good starters with nobody standin out above the rest)So many great PGs in the league now, yet the one with the best chance to win is the 2nd best player on his team. Why do you think this is?

Longhornfan1234
07-06-2012, 08:19 PM
Duncan was better than Parker in 07 finals. He averaged 18/11 while anchoring the defense. I know someone on PSD is going to bring up Parker in 07.

Swashcuff
07-06-2012, 08:22 PM
How many times in the last 22 years have a team won a title with an SF as their best player again? Just as many times as PGs.

PGs and SFs have just as many FMVPs in the last 22 years.

Also Wade was essentially playing the role of his team's PG when the Heat won in 06 and LeBron almost the very same this past season.

Honestly this thread makes no sense I really can't see what the OP was trying to get at by making it.

Its long been known that bigger players who play the paint generally have a greater impact than smaller players who play the perimeter. I mean after all every single dynasty in league history outside of MJs Bulls featured a top calibre Big in the middle.

Woodrow
07-06-2012, 08:32 PM
I don't think the PG position is overrated at all. I think your looking into it to far, the PG doesn't have to be the best player, he just needs to have leadership and be a good facilitator. Some guys (Lebron, Kobe) are great facilitators which is the critical part of the PG position, which in my opinion is why both have won rings without a good PG.

ramz.n
07-06-2012, 08:40 PM
pg are not overrated..they are your floor general and handle the bal majority of the time when on the court..without an effective pg who can score or play defense or pass and your team is done for.

Toastyy
07-06-2012, 08:41 PM
we are at a time when the PG isnt in high demand there are alot of great point guards in the game right now

SlimKid
07-06-2012, 08:50 PM
How many times in the last 22 years have a team won a title with an SF as their best player again? Just as many times as PGs.

Also Wade was essentially playing the role of his team's PG when the Heat won in 06 and LeBron almost the very same this past season.

Honestly this thread makes no sense I really can't see what the OP was trying to get at by making it.

Its long been known that bigger players who play the paint generally have a greater impact than smaller players who play the perimeter. I mean after all every single dynasty in league history outside of MJs Bulls featured a top calibre Big in the middle.

Thread closing comment:clap:

DaVille
07-06-2012, 08:56 PM
The nba always has been, and always will be big man league. Followed by guards/forwards, and then point guards last.

jayjay33
07-06-2012, 08:57 PM
Been 22 years since a team won a title with their PG being the best player on the team(maybe Chauncey, but they had 5 really good starters with nobody standin out above the rest)So many great PGs in the league now, yet the one with the best chance to win is the 2nd best player on his team. Why do you think this is?

Yeah I think chancey was def there best player.

jayjay33
07-06-2012, 09:05 PM
Why do they have to be the best player or be overrated? I think that's a little extreme.

ChitownBears22
07-06-2012, 09:13 PM
I think solid PG play is key to winning a championship. You don't need CP3 but you do need a player that can control the tempo of a game, make smart passes, run the offensive sets and distribute to players in positions for high % shots. Do you need an all-star, no. Do you need a quality PG, yes.

--23--
07-06-2012, 09:18 PM

:clap:

KnicksR4Real
07-06-2012, 09:28 PM
Underrated. It is by far the most important position on the court. They are responsible for keeping everyone together and running the offense. He doesn't have to be a scorer like Rose or athletic, but run the team correctly, however that can be done. The PG has the ball in his hands more than anyone else, and that's the biggest reason why it is so vital to have a good one. Yes, in the recent past we've seen teams get away with not having a PG, but it is because they have a player that plays a similar role in a sense that he can lead his team and have the ball in his hands when it counts. That is what the role of a PG is.

Sssmush
07-06-2012, 09:55 PM
you definitely need more than just a point guard, but being strongest at point guard seems like it can be a very good thing.

Magic Johnson: 5 titles
Isaiah Thomas: 2 titles
Chauncey Billups: 1 title

That's like 8 titles in the past 32 years, like 32%

You could also make an argument that Wade plays almost like a point guard, and you could also argue that Tony Parker and Jason Kidd were somewhat close to being the best player on their championship teams at times.

If anything, I'd say that this idea applies to power forwards more than any other position, the lone exception being Tim Duncan, however I've always thought he played more like a center than a PF.

StarvingKnick22
07-06-2012, 10:02 PM
the title should be "am I ********" because every team needs either a team experience for years, a big three, or a good PG and Center. That's what wins titles