PDA

View Full Version : 10 NBA Players who suffered a torn ACL and recovered better than ever

Knick_Fever
07-06-2012, 08:07 PM
By Lindsey Young

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1177651-10-nba-players-that-suffered-torn-acls-and-recovered-better-than-ever/page/12

Like the author said, "Sports medicine has come a long way, and a torn ACL no longer means the end to an athlete's career."

I believe when we think about ACL injuries today we tend to relate that to the "career ending injuries" category because naturally we link that with NBA players who were dramatically affected by the injuries in 90's. But today's sports medicine is so advanced that it is now considered rare for athletes not being able to return to top physical form. This is a notion that needs to be recognized and accepted. Take a look at some of the players on that list like Crawford and Lowry. You would've never thought Lowry had once blown his knee out the way he's been playing, would you? With that being said Expect players like Iman Shumpert and Derrick Rose to come back better than ever.

GoPacers33
07-06-2012, 08:09 PM
rose wont come back the same. lowry did because his game isnt based around so much contact like Roses game does

Slug3
07-06-2012, 08:09 PM
10/15 years ago a torn ACL was he end. Now it's just a long injury that just about everyone comes back from.

nicegoing
07-06-2012, 08:10 PM
this goes both ways

Swashcuff
07-06-2012, 08:15 PM
I'm not writing off Rose being near the same player that he has been. What I expect is that in his older days he'd decline a bit faster than we would have expected (as we've seen with most of those very players on that list).

dtmagnet
07-06-2012, 08:16 PM
Its different for everyone, they could come back fine or they could come back having lost that quickness that made them elite. (elite meaning Rose not Shumpert)

greg_ory_2005
07-06-2012, 08:17 PM
And how many players have torn their ACL and have never recovered?

aussie
don't see Rose being the same person he was when he comes back from injury

bucketss
when i press continue reading it takes me to power ranking what the hell?

JordansBulls
07-06-2012, 09:05 PM
Dumb article. Use players that were of Rose caliber. that would be guys such as Dominique Wilkins and Tim Hardaway.

ChitownBears22
07-06-2012, 09:11 PM
Fantastic, we can use TheBleacherReport now! Quick let me go write an article about who I think is the top PG in the NBA and put Norris Cole as #1. That will prove everything!

YoungOne
07-06-2012, 09:11 PM
lol half of those players were never really good or played worse after the injury (big al, perk, west)

KnicksR4Real
07-06-2012, 09:20 PM
Players like Rose and Shumpert who relied on those knees for athleticism are less likely to comeback as well. When you tear your ACL, it really is never the same. I hope the best for them but it's much harder bouncing back when you are an athletic guard versus a center. None of those guys had that type of athleticism that these guys do have.

Losoway
07-07-2012, 12:09 AM
its over for shump and rose

sorry to sound negative

black1605
07-07-2012, 12:12 AM
A large part of it is mental. Players can become scared to cut and pivot the same way after a major knee injury.

mikekhelxD
07-07-2012, 12:18 AM
And how many players have torn their ACL and have never recovered?

Today? I'm assuming that you don't expect to use everyone even from the beginning of sports history to your argument.

heyman321
07-07-2012, 12:30 AM
it's over for Rose, the Bulls need to rebuild.

StarvingKnick22
07-07-2012, 12:41 AM
What type of sick person gives a group of more than 200 false hope?

THE MTL
07-07-2012, 12:44 AM
Kidd and Amare sure came back just as good as ever from microfracture surgery

MGB
07-07-2012, 12:50 AM
ya drose should just retire. he's done for.

Hellcrooner
07-07-2012, 12:52 AM
im nto really confident on rubio coming back at 100%, only good thing is he never relied on speed , but his lateral quickness may be gone, and defense was one of his best qualitys.

bearadonisdna
07-07-2012, 12:58 AM
ya drose should just retire. he's done for.

How the hell can u say this?

He is 23. Brandon Roy has had way more knee problems and just unretired at 27.
Boy are you off.

LGhost
07-07-2012, 01:10 AM
I hope Rose comes back 100% healthy but I don't want to see him playing the same style no matter how healthy he gets.... He avoided contact so well but that always equaled coming down in abnormal positions and eventually nature rang the phone on him and told him he can't do that no more. Rose can still improve and you're a damn fool if you think he won't continue to be the leader of his teams for a long time \superstar mode....

Ill21
07-07-2012, 01:12 AM
A large part of it is mental. Players can become scared to cut and pivot the same way after a major knee injury.

That's why Lin didn't come back, I think he was scared.

:hide:

SugeKnight
07-07-2012, 01:19 AM
Good luck to Rose. Hopefully he comes back strong

alexander_37
07-07-2012, 02:01 AM
rose wont come back the same. lowry did because his game isnt based around so much contact like Roses game does

Clearly has never watched Lowry play.

A torn ACL isn't as big as it used to be but some people don't recover fully still.

Key word some.

Showtime Steve
07-07-2012, 03:47 AM
Hate to say it but rose was bound to tear something. He plants too hard. And i honestly think he cant change. He is like adrian peterson to me.

Evolution23
07-07-2012, 04:31 AM
why can't wade go down with an ACL injury instead of Rose and Shump. JK never wish anything like that on my worst enemy.

Cubby
07-07-2012, 06:20 AM

Amazing considering you know nothing about the injury and it's recovery. Both Rose and Shumpert will be fine. It's all about the mental aspect of coming back, and again they will both be fine. They're mentally tough guys.

Cubby
07-07-2012, 06:23 AM
What type of sick person gives a group of more than 200 false hope?

Someone who knows that the injury is no longer as big of a deal as it used to be.

Cubby
07-07-2012, 06:23 AM
it's over for Rose, the Bulls need to rebuild.

Yep, might as well hang it up now.

bearadonisdna
07-07-2012, 06:44 AM
I dont know what Rose was doin in LA.
Prolly hanging wit Kobe and Nash....

But just the other day Thibs said Rose is at the Berto Center almost everyday workin on his rehab.

b@llhog24
07-07-2012, 10:35 AM
I'm not writing off Rose being near the same player that he has been. What I expect is that in his older days he'd decline a bit faster than we would have expected (as we've seen with most of those very players on that list).

This. Its more of a longevity issue than anything.

StarvingKnick22
07-07-2012, 10:47 AM
Someone who knows that the injury is no longer as big of a deal as it used to be.

Aren't you a Bulls fan? Haven't you seen Rose get injured constantly? You can't tell me since medicine has advanced that bones and ligaments won't be brittle after an injury of a bone, wrist, MCL,ACL, and even a sprained ankle will come back after you do too much like rose does

yaswaggin
07-07-2012, 10:58 AM

Amazing considering you know nothing about the injury and it's recovery. Both Rose and Shumpert will be fine. It's all about the mental aspect of coming back, and again they will both be fine. They're mentally tough guys.

Gilbert was also mentally tough and never came back

And prime Gilbert was better than 23 year old rose

kendawg73
07-07-2012, 11:18 AM

This is where I feel people are wrong. Rose does initiate contact but I believe he contorts his body so much to avoid contact and make those acrabatic shots. That is when you get hurt most of the time.

corky831
07-07-2012, 11:21 AM
Kidd and Amare sure came back just as good as ever from microfracture surgery

Lmao amare is not even close to the player he used to be.....he was way more explosive

Ladies Man
07-07-2012, 11:25 AM
I for one think Rose will still come back to being the same impact player. An who cares if he was in LA. Dumbest story ever made

SwatTeam
07-07-2012, 11:48 AM
No offense to some of these posters but you have no clue what the doctors saw when they looked at Rose's knee and have no knowledge on his progress besides he's doing good. Did he suffer cartilage damage? (Any type of cartilage damage - and it usually happens with ACL tears because of its point of origin and insertion - and he's in for arthritis of the knee joint earlier in his life than most people because he is constantly grinding on that knee for a living) Did he strain or partially tear any other ligaments? (Haven't heard much about this) Does he have good healing potential? Are there any post-op infections? Then physical therapy and rehab, the most important part in all of this - how does his knee respond to it? Can he regain full mobility to do what he used to? (some people make full recoveries and some never return to their previous levels) The one thing on Rose's side: He has the money and management on his side to make sure he gets the best possible care. I just hope he didn't go to cook county.

Cubby
07-07-2012, 04:00 PM
Aren't you a Bulls fan? Haven't you seen Rose get injured constantly? You can't tell me since medicine has advanced that bones and ligaments won't be brittle after an injury of a bone, wrist, MCL,ACL, and even a sprained ankle will come back after you do too much like rose does

All of those injuries amplified because Rose kept coming back when he wasn't fully healthy. All of those small injuries heal with time, and it's been a long *** time since he's been on the court.

Cubby
07-07-2012, 04:02 PM
This. Its more of a longevity issue than anything.

Hopefully he adds the knock down mid range shot he had in his sophomore season. That would do wonders in extending his career.

Cubby
07-07-2012, 04:03 PM
Gilbert was also mentally tough and never came back

And prime Gilbert was better than 23 year old rose

Gilbert Arenas? The same ****ing guy who pulled a gun on a teammate?

Procision
07-07-2012, 04:05 PM
All the reports on AP has been good and if im not mistaken Welker tore his ACL and came back fine after about 7 months.

Procision
07-07-2012, 04:07 PM
Also RG3 came back completely fine.

MELO 15
07-07-2012, 04:11 PM
Its different for everyone, they could come back fine or they could come back having lost that quickness that made them elite. (elite meaning Rose not Shumpert)

Defensively iman is elite

Becks2307
07-07-2012, 04:12 PM
Hate to say it but rose was bound to tear something. He plants too hard. And i honestly think he cant change. He is like adrian peterson to me.

Always thought this, even since his rookie season, rose bangs his joints like crazy, even westbrook doesn't plan nearly has hard or cut as sharp as rose does, the ACL could affect him more than most.

Raph12
07-07-2012, 05:27 PM
Not one of those guys listed have had nearly the same explosion post-injury though or anywhere close to that level of athleticism... For a guy who relies so much on his ability to beat guys off the dribble and make acrobatic layups around the basket, it'll be interesting to see how he adjusts his game.

Cubby
07-07-2012, 06:18 PM
He. Will. Be. Fine.

FraziersKnicks
07-07-2012, 06:51 PM
He ain't going back to his explosive, 25 points a game self... I think he'll have to develop more of a slower paced, methodical approach and greatly improve his jumper otherwise he will just fall into the category of "could've beens".

He will be a shadow of his former self and Bulls fans are kidding themselves if they think he'll return to being a top 10 player in the league again.

InRoseWeTrust
07-07-2012, 07:00 PM
He ain't going back to his explosive, 25 points a game self... I think he'll have to develop more of a slower paced, methodical approach and greatly improve his jumper otherwise he will just fall into the category of "could've beens".

He will be a shadow of his former self and Bulls fans are kidding themselves if they think he'll return to being a top 10 player in the league again.

I love the hatred and schadenfreude that is going on with non-Bulls fans over the Rose injury. You guys just couldn't hope any more that he's going to come back as a "shell of himself." It's pretty funny.

Raph12
07-07-2012, 07:07 PM
I love the hatred and schadenfreude that is going on with non-Bulls fans over the Rose injury. You guys just couldn't hope any more that he's going to come back as a "shell of himself." It's pretty funny.

I would never wish that upon anyone, I'm one of his biggest critics, but I was a fan prior to his rise to superstardom (when he played for Memphis)... I've had an ACL tear back in highschool and after surgery, I never had that type of explosion I used to. He may bounce back and become and AS-caliber player, but he won't be the way he used to be IMHO.

Knick_Fever
07-07-2012, 07:08 PM

I truly hope and pray that he comes back better than ever, I really do. I have a lot of respect for Rose as a player and person, he's a true class act.

InRoseWeTrust
07-07-2012, 07:10 PM
I would never wish that upon anyone, I'm one of his biggest critics, but I was a fan prior to his rise to superstardom (when he played for Memphis)... I've had an ACL tear back in highschool and after surgery, I never had that type of explosion I used to. He may bounce back and become and AS-caliber player, but he won't be the way he used to be IMHO.

I really don't mean to be judgmental, but....are you Derrick Rose? Do you have his body? His work ethic? His ability? Anecdotal evidence is kind of a poor choice for support here.

Yes, his game is predicated on athleticism, "explosiveness", etc. But to say that he's flat out never going to be the same, no matter what, is just silly.

FraziersKnicks
07-07-2012, 07:41 PM

Dude, it's not hate... It's being realistic. The guy is so reliant on his explosiveness and quick change of direction and speed (he was the best at both of these things), I highly doubt he'll return to a similar level of athleticism.

I know it must be tough being a Bulls fan, but after a torn ACL you can't be too optimistic otherwise you're gonna be set up for disappointment. He'll probably make a few more All-Star teams, but do you really think a player so reliant on those attributes will be able to return to an MVP-caliber player with one good knee?

FraziersKnicks
07-07-2012, 07:44 PM
I really don't mean to be judgmental, but....are you Derrick Rose? Do you have his body? His work ethic? His ability? Anecdotal evidence is kind of a poor choice for support here.

Yes, his game is predicated on athleticism, "explosiveness", etc. But to say that he's flat out never going to be the same, no matter what, is just silly.

He has a great work ethic but that isn't gonna magically mend his knee and make it what it was before... You can't teach his sort of athleticism, and when you suffer an injury like this, no sort of work ethic can allow you reclaim all of that athleticism. It's just simple human biology. His knee will never be as strong as it was before.

He won't be the same, and even as a Knicks fan who HATES the Bulls, I'm rooting for the guy. No one deserves this sort of injury, especially a humble, talented player like Rose. Sorry :shrug:

InRoseWeTrust
07-07-2012, 08:06 PM
Dude, it's not hate... It's being realistic. The guy is so reliant on his explosiveness and quick change of direction and speed (he was the best at both of these things), I highly doubt he'll return to a similar level of athleticism.

I know it must be tough being a Bulls fan, but after a torn ACL you can't be too optimistic otherwise you're gonna be set up for disappointment. He'll probably make a few more All-Star teams, but do you really think a player so reliant on those attributes will be able to return to an MVP-caliber player with one good knee?

Therein lies the problem with your analysis. You assume his knee isn't going to recover, but the process is different for every single person. Young, athletic guys who really want it tend to rehab well. Rose fits that mold.

My expectations are tempered, but I think saying "he'll probably make a few more All-star teams" is a pretty pessimistic statement. Will he alter his game? Probably. Will he become more reliant on a midrange jumper? Probably. But he's demonstrated the work ethic to improve every season thus far. You want this injury to derail his career, but it's probably not going to.

THE MTL
07-07-2012, 08:55 PM
Lmao amare is not even close to the player he used to be.....he was way more explosive

That is because of Amare's back but not the microfracture surgery. You need to look at the season his missed and the following season he came back. The numbers (IMPROVEMENT) speak for themselves.

FraziersKnicks
07-07-2012, 09:33 PM
Therein lies the problem with your analysis. You assume his knee isn't going to recover, but the process is different for every single person. Young, athletic guys who really want it tend to rehab well. Rose fits that mold.

My expectations are tempered, but I think saying "he'll probably make a few more All-star teams" is a pretty pessimistic statement. Will he alter his game? Probably. Will he become more reliant on a midrange jumper? Probably. But he's demonstrated the work ethic to improve every season thus far. You want this injury to derail his career, but it's probably not going to.

As I've said, in this situation you have to be pessimistic... He won't return to be a top 10 player in the league. That's just something that has to be realised.

Also, well done on completely missing my last bit about me wanting him to return to his old self... :clap:

InRoseWeTrust
07-07-2012, 09:39 PM
As I've said, in this situation you have to be pessimistic... He won't return to be a top 10 player in the league. That's just something that has to be realised.

Also, well done on completely missing my last bit about me wanting him to return to his old self... :clap:

That just isn't factually correct. I'm sorry. By every report his rehab is going fantastically. I'm not guaranteeing he's going to be 100% on day 1, or that he ever will be, but to say it's not possible is absurd. There are myriad examples to the contrary.

ChitownBears22
07-07-2012, 09:42 PM
That just isn't factually correct. I'm sorry. By every report his rehab is going fantastically. I'm not guaranteeing he's going to be 100% on day 1, or that he ever will be, but to say it's not possible is absurd. There are myriad examples to the contrary.

Have you ever heard a report of a player's rehab going poorly. Hell no, why would anyone rock the boat?

Reporter: How is the injury?
Rose: Rehab sucks, I won't be my old self.

Yeah that quote will never happen. If it did I am sure the endorsement deals would just be flying in.

FraziersKnicks
07-07-2012, 09:52 PM

Okay look, you seem pretty set on your ways of thinking.. Of course his rehab is going great, when do you hear of rehabs going awfully? I just don't see him returning to his previous levels of play with a diminished degree of athleticism. Although if you do, please continue, whatever helps you sleep at night until Rose returns...

bearadonisdna
07-07-2012, 10:30 PM

Sayin ROse wont be a top 10 player again is merely speculation.
Not fact, merely speculation.

ChitownBears22
07-07-2012, 10:32 PM
Sayin ROse wont be a top 10 player again is merely speculation.
Not fact, merely speculation.

And to think he will recover full is speculation as well. Not fact.

Two way street.

InRoseWeTrust
07-07-2012, 10:38 PM
Okay look, you seem pretty set on your ways of thinking.. Of course his rehab is going great, when do you hear of rehabs going awfully? I just don't see him returning to his previous levels of play with a diminished degree of athleticism. Although if you do, please continue, whatever helps you sleep at night until Rose returns...

You've never heard of a player having a setback in rehab? You must not be much of a sports fan.

$GangGr33n$
07-07-2012, 10:39 PM

Amare had microfracture (which is probably worse) not a torn ACL, and that was back in 05' hes had 20+ ppg in every year since before last year, even 25+ ppg twice

InRoseWeTrust
07-07-2012, 10:40 PM

Two way street.

I agree. I'm being optimistic in the fact that I think he'll bounce back nicely. There's really no guarantees. But saying "he's never returning to the same level" and at best he'll only make a few more All-Star teams is an extremely premature statement.

ChitownBears22
07-07-2012, 10:42 PM
You've never heard of a player having a setback in rehab? You must not be much of a sports fan.

Doesn't happen very often. Or until after the fact. Until then it is all smiles and 100% on the right track.

InRoseWeTrust
07-07-2012, 10:58 PM
Doesn't happen very often. Or until after the fact. Until then it is all smiles and 100% on the right track.

Except for it does? :facepalm:

bearadonisdna
07-07-2012, 11:00 PM

Two way street.

Well when Doctors are saying he will make a full recovery.........
what do you think?

rubx3
07-07-2012, 11:06 PM
lol, these guys are really getting to rose fans.
if he heals, he heals..if he doesn't then he doesn't and we move on with our lives.

Somethings in life were meant to be

bearadonisdna
07-07-2012, 11:07 PM
Especially when Rose is ahead of schedule.
Recovery is a tangible.
Specualtion of non-recovery is speculation.

Anything else little guy?

ChitownBears22
07-07-2012, 11:17 PM
Well when Doctors are saying he will make a full recovery.........
what do you think?

I think they are doctors not soothsayers.

InRoseWeTrust
07-07-2012, 11:36 PM
lol, these guys are really getting to rose fans.
if he heals, he heals..if he doesn't then he doesn't and we move on with our lives.

Somethings in life were meant to be

Actually the opposite. It was the point of my first post in this thread...it's hilarious how invested non-Bulls fans are in making it known that Derrick will never be the same.