PDA

View Full Version : Steve Nash says Westbrook and Rose are "super guards" not PGs

Fresno
07-06-2012, 04:44 PM
Q: Who has the best point guard in L.A. right now? The Clippers or Lakers?

I love Chris Paul. I think hes, if not the best, top two point guards in the game. Now with Russell and Derrick Rose, theyre like super guards. Im not sure you can categorize them as point guards. There was a time when I could have made an argument for myself as the best point guard in the game, but I can leave that to some of the other guys now. I still know I can do it at an extremely high level, and Im still extremely competitive. Lets hope the Lakers are the best team in L.A., and I wont worry about who is the best point guard in L.A.

http://espn.go.com/blog/los-angeles/lakers/post/_/id/31738/steve-nash-on-kobe-bryant-mike-brown-winning-titles-and-much-more

Im surprised a current NBA player would be open enough to say what a majority of NBA fans online seem to realize.

I've never understood why so many people choose to group Westbrook/Rose among the top PG's when neither guy is an actual PG who runs an offense.

KB-Pau-DH2012
07-06-2012, 04:46 PM
He's saying they're not prototypical PGs. They're more Combo guards, a little bit of PG (passing) and SG (shooting, scoring).

King41
07-06-2012, 04:46 PM
they are no original point guards

Kashmir13579
07-06-2012, 04:47 PM
I guess this solidifies what i've been saying for a couple years.

Bruno
07-06-2012, 04:50 PM
exactly, steve.

waveycrockett
07-06-2012, 04:51 PM
Just because you can't guard them steve doesn't mean they're not PG's.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
07-06-2012, 04:51 PM
combo guards they are

torocan
07-06-2012, 04:52 PM
He's saying they're not prototypical PGs. They're more Combo guards, a little bit of PG (passing) and SG (shooting, scoring).

This.

There are very few pure PG's at the upper levels now. It seems increasingly like combo guards are the way of the future...

L@ker4Life
07-06-2012, 04:52 PM
He's so PC. I love how well he can kind of diss someone but yet compliment them at the same time. He will do just fine in LA.

TeamSeattle
07-06-2012, 04:53 PM
I honestly don't find combo guards that entertaining. Pure pg's like kidd, steve, etc. are my preference so I get what he's saying.

b@llhog24
07-06-2012, 04:54 PM
Remind me when "superguard" becomes an official Nba position.

Napalm
07-06-2012, 04:56 PM
last season whenever nash subbed out he had to pack ice all over his back! i expect more of the same this season. however i sill rank him third below cp3 and deron.

BullsNumber1Fan

:laugh::clap:

I didn't know guys who average 8+ APG and being top 10 in APG in consecutive seasons isn't a PG. But I do like this SuperGuard tag.

Bruno

because he can guard chris paul?

erroneous.

joseph aka Jman
07-06-2012, 04:57 PM
he just talking about pure pass first poing guards (Nash, Rondo, etc.)

northsider
Oh ya instead he called them "superguards".

Big blow to them.

JoeyBoy718
So I guess the two best point guards in the NBA are Paul and Rondo?

SlimKid
How is he dissing anyone? I think the phrase "super guards" is applicable and not an insult at all

Sadds The Gr8
07-06-2012, 05:01 PM
He diidnt diss them, so what's the point of this thread?

Kashmir13579
07-06-2012, 05:02 PM
Nash looks down on these "super guards"

rockbottom2010
07-06-2012, 05:02 PM
im starting to hate him day by day....not only that ...phil jackson said that with nash coming over....the defense situation is still a big issue
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8135447/steve-nash-fill-lakers-hole-defense

EDUTEXANS
07-06-2012, 05:04 PM
he is completely right

Fresno
07-06-2012, 05:07 PM
im starting to hate him day by day....not only that ...phil jackson said that with nash coming over....the defense situation is still a big issue
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8135447/steve-nash-fill-lakers-hole-defense

What's your issue with Nash?

lakers4sho
07-06-2012, 05:10 PM
So...Mike James was a superguard?

GoPacers33
07-06-2012, 05:16 PM
He's right

TheNumber37
07-06-2012, 05:22 PM
Legit PGs in the game:

Paul
Williams
Rondo
Nash
Kidd
Rubio
Irving
Andre Miller

BcEuAbRsS
07-06-2012, 05:23 PM
I don't care if the Bulls call Rose a center... as long as he keeps getting 25/8 per game I'm gonna be happy...

greg_ory_2005
07-06-2012, 05:23 PM
I agree. Rose and Westy are very super.

Illinirob83
07-06-2012, 05:31 PM
Rose doesn't run an offense? Just because he can do more than just "set up teammates", that doesn't make him not a PG. Basically it is the archaic argument that a PG can't shoot very much, or a PG can't be a scorer. It's 2012....grow up.

llemon
07-06-2012, 05:39 PM
Like Jerry West and Isiah Thomas

StinkEye
07-06-2012, 05:42 PM
The rule should be "If you're the shortest guy on the floor, you're the 1." A lot of guys fall under different categories these days. There's so many "combo guards" and "tweeners" out there. Most teams out there don't have prototypical guys 1 through 5. LeBron is the best PG in the league if you stretch out the meaning of "point guard."

Ladies Man
07-06-2012, 05:43 PM
He can say what they want but the reason the NBA is good( or at least was) is because not every PG is the same, so goes for the rest of the positions. If every PG was like Nash, then we wouldn't consider that great. Players are unique and different and you have to respect there games, especially for the players who are winners

TeamSeattle
07-06-2012, 05:45 PM
He can say what they want but the reason the NBA is good( or at least was) is because not every PG is the same, so goes for the rest of the positions. If every PG was like Nash, then we wouldn't consider that great. Players are unique and different and you have to respect there games, especially for the players who are winners

well they were saying a few yrs back that all these combo guards were ruinin the nba

AntiG
Everyone wanted to be like Mike growing up. Unfortunately most of them can't grow that tall.

SlimKid
Rose doesn't run an offense? Just because he can do more than just "set up teammates", that doesn't make him not a PG. Basically it is the archaic argument that a PG can't shoot very much, or a PG can't be a scorer. It's 2012....grow up.

What are you talking about?? Who says Rose doesn't run an offense? Rose and Westbrook could play both the 1 or the 2 if needed, therefore "super guards"

How is this a knock on any of them?

Fnom11
07-06-2012, 05:48 PM
"Point guard (PG), also called the one, play maker or "the ball-handler," is one of the standard positions in a regulation basketball game and is commonly abbreviated "PG." A point guard has perhaps the most specialized role of any position – essentially, he is expected to run the team's offense by controlling the ball and making sure that it gets to the right players at the right time. Above all, the point guard must totally understand and accept his or her coach's game plan"

That seems to be the general consensus on what a PG is and both of those players meet that criteria.

Illinirob83
07-06-2012, 05:49 PM
The rule should be "If you're the shortest guy on the floor, you're the 1." A lot of guys fall under different categories these days. There's so many "combo guards" and "tweeners" out there. Most teams out there don't have prototypical guys 1 through 5. LeBron is the best PG in the league if you stretch out the meaning of "point guard."

yep. Dirk is 7 ft tall yet is mostly a perimeter player, I guess he shouldn't qualify as a "power" forward. As Jalen Rose says, the labels of positions were to teach the newbs the game. There shouldn't be a rule attached to a certain position. "you're the PG, you aren't allowed to shoot more than X amount of times." It just seems silly if the PG is the best OPTION on the team to score.

That is what angers me watching Chris Paul. In his entire career he has been the best scoring option on his team, yet will defer to worse players for far too long in the game regardless of situation because of what he is "supposed" to be. His last year with the Hornets he shot 11 times a game, and the team had the worst scoring average in basketball. Paul is fantastic, but his flaw to me is that he doesn't try to be "super" enough. Be the primary guy, screw labels.

RLundi
07-06-2012, 05:52 PM
+1

Just because you handle the ball a majority of the time or are a certain height does not make you a point guard.

StinkEye
07-06-2012, 05:52 PM
yep. Dirk is 7 ft tall yet is mostly a perimeter player, I guess he shouldn't qualify as a "power" forward. As Jalen Rose says, the labels of positions were to teach the newbs the game. There shouldn't be a rule attached to a certain position. "you're the PG, you aren't allowed to shoot more than X amount of times." It just seems silly if the PG is the best OPTION on the team to score.

That is what angers me watching Chris Paul. In his entire career he has been the best scoring option on his team, yet will defer to worse players for far too long in the game regardless of situation because of what he is "supposed" to be. His last year with the Hornets he shot 11 times a game, and the team had the worst scoring average in basketball. Paul is fantastic, but his flaw to me is that he doesn't try to be "super" enough. Be the primary guy, screw labels.

amen.

Illinirob83
07-06-2012, 05:53 PM
What are you talking about?? Who says Rose doesn't run an offense? Rose and Westbrook could play both the 1 or the 2 if needed, therefore "super guards"

How is this a knock on any of them?

The original poster said they don't run an offense, that was what I am referring to, not what nash said.

chicago lulz
07-06-2012, 05:53 PM
"Point guard (PG), also called the one, play maker or "the ball-handler," is one of the standard positions in a regulation basketball game and is commonly abbreviated "PG." A point guard has perhaps the most specialized role of any position essentially, he is expected to run the team's offense by controlling the ball and making sure that it gets to the right players at the right time. Above all, the point guard must totally understand and accept his or her coach's game plan"

That seems to be the general consensus on what a PG is and both of those players meet that criteria.

Was just about to ask what everyone's definition of a PG is. Going by this definition (wikipedia?), seems like they meet the criteria.

Sounds like more of a compliment to the two rather than a slight.

RLundi
07-06-2012, 05:54 PM
There was a time when I could have made an argument for myself as the best point guard in the game, but I can leave that to some of the other guys now. I still know I can do it at an extremely high level, and I’m still extremely competitive.

I don't disagree, but imagine the backlash if Kobe or LeBron said something like this...

Fnom11
07-06-2012, 05:54 PM
Was just about to ask what everyone's definition of a PG is. Going by this definition (wikipedia?), seems like they meet the criteria.

Yeah from Wikipedia and I agree 100%. Nash isn't known to belittle people so I think he was just saying how amazing of players they are.

RLundi
07-06-2012, 05:57 PM
Be the primary guy, screw labels.

In theory, yes I agree. But it just doesn't feel right if there aren't five position players at their proper position. I'm definitely nitpicking, but I cringe every time a team sends its 'small' lineup out on the floor or when the Heat were playing without a center or true point guard :laugh2:

KnicksR4Real
07-06-2012, 06:03 PM
True that

beerman28
07-06-2012, 06:06 PM
Of course the knicks fan doesnt know what a pg is

chicago lulz
07-06-2012, 06:18 PM
I don't disagree, but imagine the backlash if Kobe or LeBron said something like this...
I rarely see anyone deny that they are/were the best. I would have no problem if they made such a comment, and neither should others.

In theory, yes I agree. But it just doesn't feel right if there aren't five position players at their proper position. I'm definitely nitpicking, but I cringe every time a team sends its 'small' lineup out on the floor or when the Heat were playing without a center or true point guard :laugh2:

Just curious what you think a PG is.

imagesrdecievin
07-06-2012, 06:23 PM
I like the term super guard. It gives them the respect the deserve. I always viewed the term combo guard as somewhat of a slight - not good enough to be either.

Lakers + Giants
07-06-2012, 06:27 PM

It was. All he's saying is that they play the PG position a whole different way. But are complete beasts at what they do.

Baller1
07-06-2012, 06:28 PM
Not sure why people are taking this so negatively.

topdog
07-06-2012, 06:29 PM
I honestly don't find combo guards that entertaining. Pure pg's like kidd, steve, etc. are my preference so I get what he's saying.

RU-BI-OOOOO!

Ha ha I love Nash though. He makes such great decisions and has all the offensive tools a PG needs. A great PG is like a surgeon, he disects the defense.

Lakers + Giants
07-06-2012, 06:33 PM
Not sure why people are taking this so negatively.

Cuz he's a Laker now.

If he were still a sun then this would've been a compliment and everyone would be calling him classy.

Dade County
07-06-2012, 06:35 PM
I don't care if the Bulls call Rose a center... as long as he keeps getting 25/8 per game I'm gonna be happy...

Good one

Baller1
07-06-2012, 06:35 PM
Cuz he's a Laker now.

If he were still a sun then this would've been a compliment and everyone would be calling him classy.

Yeah you're right actually, Nash is a *****... **** the Lakers.

Haha.

Baller1
07-06-2012, 06:36 PM
Yeah from Wikipedia and I agree 100%. Nash isn't known to belittle people so I think he was just saying how amazing of players they are.

Your sig is badass...

kobebabe
07-06-2012, 06:37 PM
On point Steve!
This is what we all have known for a while. Westbrook and Rose are two extremely talented combo guards but not typical pure PGs and there is nothing wrong with that.

RLundi
07-06-2012, 06:39 PM
I rarely see anyone deny that they are/were the best. I would have no problem if they made such a comment, and neither should others.

When LeBron said that if he wanted to he could lead the league in scoring every season or something like that, there was a complete dookie storm because LeBron was supposedly outrageously 'arrogant.'

Avenged
07-06-2012, 06:47 PM
Combo guards.. seems about right.

Careful what you say though, Nash.. Now that he's a Laker, people are going to find ways to hate or make something out of nothing.

TeamSeattle
07-06-2012, 06:48 PM
RU-BI-OOOOO!

Ha ha I love Nash though. He makes such great decisions and has all the offensive tools a PG needs. A great PG is like a surgeon, he disects the defense.

Yep and he will be in the hall of fame when he retires. A pure surgeon

rockbottom2010
07-06-2012, 07:06 PM
What's your issue with Nash?

rose and westbrook have waaay better D than nash...nash shouldn't be biased....cuz he doesn't have any rings

jmoney85
07-06-2012, 07:08 PM

lol

Lakers + Giants
07-06-2012, 07:38 PM
Yeah you're right actually, Nash is a *****... **** the Lakers.

Haha.

You little *****! :mad: LMAO :laugh2:

ChiSox219
07-06-2012, 07:49 PM
http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?t=708547&highlight=super+guard

nash said this a while ago

b@llhog24
07-06-2012, 08:06 PM

Allen Iverson laughs at this rule.

Because its not 1 on 1. Paul can't consistently beat teams by himself.

llemon
07-06-2012, 08:21 PM
rose and westbrook have waaay better D than nash...nash shouldn't be biased....cuz he doesn't have any rings

But Rose and Westie do have rings?

Kuya_Clive
07-06-2012, 08:40 PM
pop pop *raises the roof*

--23--
07-06-2012, 09:13 PM
"Super Guards" that's a cool name for them lol, Also didn't Nash say this during the season?