PDA

View Full Version : Steve Nash's Defense...

sp1derm00
07-06-2012, 02:34 PM
I was thinking that he was such a huge upgrade over Ramon that whatever defensive deficiencies he has would be minimal.

I was also thinking that he wasn't too bad defensively since he's a smart player and makes opposing PG's work.

Oh man.

CP3:
http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&p1=nashst01&p2=paulch01

Drose:
http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&p1=nashst01&p2=rosede01

Russell Westbrook:
http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&p1=nashst01&p2=westbru01

Rajon Rondo:
http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&p1=nashst01&p2=rondora01

Kyrie Irving:
http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&p1=nashst01&p2=irvinky01

TP:
http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&p1=nashst01&p2=parketo01

The one saving grace is that Nash seems to have Deron and Chalmer's numbers.

Dwill:
http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&p1=nashst01&p2=willide01

Chalmers:
http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&p1=nashst01&p2=chalmma01

Can't think of any other opposing PG's we should be afraid of, but judging by these numbers... ouch.

KB-Pau-DH2012
07-06-2012, 02:35 PM
One word of advice...

Just be thankful.

Chavacano
07-06-2012, 02:37 PM
Our PGs defense have been historically horrible save for a very few.

One word of advice...

Just be thankful.

Username should've been Nash-KB-Pau-DH2012. :p

J4KOP99
07-06-2012, 02:37 PM
Here's the thing many of us have been trying to stress... you DO NOT guard these PG's 1 V 1. Nash will have a lot of help from his 2 seven footers if he gets beat.

Nash never had that in Phoenix. I'm not really worried about this at all. Maybe in a late game situation here and there but he will be fine. Also, Kobe and Ron can guard the 1 if Nash is really getting torched.

duane v
07-06-2012, 02:40 PM
Steve Nash's Defense

I'm more worried about his health and durability.... The guy is pushing 40

RoyalG333
07-06-2012, 02:40 PM
Here's the thing many of us have been trying to stress... you DO NOT guard these PG's 1 V 1. Nash will have a lot of help from his 2 seven footers if he gets beat.

Nash never had that in Phoenix. I'm not really worried about this at all. Maybe in a late game situation here and there but he will be fine. Also, Kobe and Ron can guard the 1 if Nash is really getting torched.

Precisely. You need a smart defender who can be a part of the defensive scheme. Nash will do that for you. But his best defense is his offense because he puts pressure on the opposition.

KB-Pau-DH2012
07-06-2012, 02:48 PM
Our PGs defense have been historically horrible save for a very few.

Username should've been Nash-KB-Pau-DH2012. :p

If we get Dwight, I will officially start a petition and would require my fellow Laker fans support. :)

KB-Pau-DH2012
07-06-2012, 02:49 PM
I'm more worried about his health and durability.... The guy is pushing 40

No question, we need to get a backup PG that will help extend or atleast sustain the lead when Nashy goes to the bench for rest. Steve Blake is not that guy obviously.

duane v
07-06-2012, 02:54 PM
No question, we need to get a backup PG that will help extend or atleast sustain the lead when Nashy goes to the bench for rest. Steve Blake is not that guy obviously.

Since we are going after old geezers, why not give Iverson a look:D.... It appears he fits right into the Laker FO game plan...LOL!!!

L@ker4Life
07-06-2012, 02:55 PM
I personally think that Blake will be fine if we can get him some firepower. Blake can hit big shots, is a very good defender who can guard the 1 or 2. You can have him on the court with Nash to spread the floor and guard the opposing PG or SG.

I think we just need a few shooters/slashers of the bench to help Blake. Blake didn't get a fair shot with mcbob, murphy, and the like running with him. Get the guy some help and he will be a more than adequate backup. We NEED a 2 guard that can create his own offense coming off the bench, who can give Kobe much needed rest.

Chacarron
07-06-2012, 02:56 PM
Yea, Nash is pretty bad at defense. I think we all knew that before we got him.

GailGoodrich
07-06-2012, 02:59 PM
I'm not at all concerned about Nash's defense. One-on-one lock-down defenders are as rare in the NBA as lock-down corners are in the NFL. The man reacting is always going to be at a disadvantage, but that cuts both ways. Yes, it helps to be younger, longer, faster, quicker, but at the end of the day what really matters is making tiny team adjustments that put opposing players at a disadvantage. Nash is a smart enough player to do that -- particularly when he can funnel hard-charging guards into our bigs.

I also think the way the game is called now there's almost no chance of playing good point guards heads up. Between liberties with the ball (palming, traveling, steps) and the fact that your average defender doesn't want to commit to taking a charge from a man who may have the body mass of a NFL DE, the game is rigged for offense. (It got so out of hand last year that shooters were simply swiping their arms up into the defender's arms in order to get a shooting foul -- a rule that has been quickly and thankfully amended.)

Steve Nash as a player is not simply a point guard. He is a fundamentally sound and unique player the likes of which LA has not seen since Magic Johnson. Kobe has never played with a player like this, and whatever deficits Nash has now or has always had, he's a two-time MVP who is more of a threat to both score and pass to the right person at the right time than the Lakers have had in decades. If I was an opposing coach I'd be a hell of a lot more concerned about how I was going to stop Nash than how I was going to exploit him on defense. (Something that could almost never have been said about Fisher, or any other PG the Lakers have had for a long, long time.)

KB-Pau-DH2012
07-06-2012, 03:02 PM
Since we are going after old geezers, why not give Iverson a look:D.... It appears he fits right into the Laker FO game plan...LOL!!!

Bring back D-FIsh as a bench warmer to mentor Morris and G-Lock, Ray Allen for the mini MLE, Camby vet's min backup to Dwight.

Kobe, Nash, Iverson, Fisher, Ray, Camby

Class of 96 Baby! :rock:

duane v
07-06-2012, 03:04 PM
All you have to do is get the ball out of Nash's hands.... Then it's back to taking fall away 25 footers with 2 seconds left on the 24 second clock.

Coach Brown has no clue on how to free up players.... His game plan is give the ball to Kobe and pray:rolleyes:

duane v
07-06-2012, 03:08 PM
Bring back D-FIsh as a bench warmer to mentor Morris and G-Lock, Ray Allen for the mini MLE, Camby vet's min backup to Dwight.

Kobe, Nash, Iverson, Fisher, Ray, Camby

Class of 96 Baby! :rock:

:facepalm::D

I was only kidding about Iverson...

The Lakers will get ran out of the building by OKC and the Clippers...

still1ballin
07-06-2012, 03:20 PM
Who cares. We have been playing for many years of PG's torching us. Lets keep the ball rolling.

Mr_Jones
07-06-2012, 03:23 PM
Well, it's still better than Ramon's and Blake's..

duane v
07-06-2012, 03:29 PM
Well, it's still better than Ramon's and Blake's..

That remains to be seen, and if that's the measuring stick for Nash's defense, then we are in trouble:D

sp1derm00
07-06-2012, 03:31 PM
That remains to be seen, and if that's the measuring stick for Nash's defense, then we are in trouble:D

Gotta start somewhere!

sp1derm00
07-06-2012, 03:32 PM
One word of advice...

Just be thankful.

I am thankful, just worried. I just wanted to get a discussion going.

duane v
07-06-2012, 03:32 PM
Gotta start somewhere!

Too bad that starting point couldnt be with a PG under 30 years old

dh144498
07-06-2012, 03:42 PM
Nash's defense isn't that big of a deal. Hypothetically speaking, with Nash, Kobe can back off a little on offense and play more defense since Nash will be utilizing Gasol Bynum alot.
I wanna see some Frobe defense from the 3 peat.

GailGoodrich
07-06-2012, 04:01 PM
You can look at many facets of Nash's game in iso and they don't look so great. He's old. He's not a great defender. And OMG! the hair.

But if I told you LA just signed a starter who had all those liabilities but also had these numbers last year, what would you think?

FG% 53.2
3P% 39.0
FT% 89.4

And then what if I told you that the dude handles the ball almost constantly?

APG 10.7

Yeah, I wish he played defense like MWP. And I wish he was 24 years old and 7'9" and weighed 360 lbs with 2% body fat. But I'll still take the man.

jayjay33
07-06-2012, 04:03 PM
If we get d12 it won't matter. Lol

duane v
07-06-2012, 04:05 PM
Nash's defense isn't that big of a deal. Hypothetically speaking, with Nash, Kobe can back off a little on offense and play more defense since Nash will be utilizing Gasol Bynum alot.
I wanna see some Frobe defense from the 3 peat.

Well Nash's offensive production will fall off just because he will be playing along side of Kobe in Browns system.... So you'll get your wish there.

As for Kobe backing off a little on offense, you know as well as everyone else that wont happen.

I would like to see Nash utilize Gasol and Bynum more, but that will depend how strong Nash is. If Nash is strong enough to feel he does not need to cater to Kobe, then this is where Nash can be most effective. If kobe can be happy with averaging 17-20 points a game, then the presence of Nash can be utilized to its fullest

jayjay33
07-06-2012, 04:07 PM
Plus if Nash can even place close to a wash against these other guys that is huge! If west brook accounts for 35 and Nash account 28.....that give us the advantage, because we are you to being like minus 20-25 at pg. lol

beliges
07-06-2012, 04:09 PM
Well Nash's offensive production will fall off just because he will be playing along side of Kobe in Browns system.... So you'll get your wish there.

As for Kobe backing off a little on offense, you know as well as everyone else that wont happen.

I would like to see Nash utilize Gasol and Bynum more, but that will depend how strong Nash is. If Nash is strong enough to feel he does not need to cater to Kobe, then this is where Nash can be most effective. If kobe can be happy with averaging 17-20 points a game, then the presence of Nash can be utilized to its fullest

Not sure where this criticism of Kobe is coming from. Its like people have forgotten that Kobe gets the most out of his teammates time and time again. The fact that he has won more than any other player in his era is more than sufficient proof that Kobe can adapt and evolve his game in order to provide his team the best chance to win. Nash is too smart and too good not to be effective. Furthermore, again it seems youre forgetting that Kobe went out of his way to ensure Nash came to the Lakers. The only reason KObe dominated the ball so much was because he had nobody else on his team to help him there. Again, enough with these foolish criticisms. Your bias is proven ignorant by Kobe's history. Nobody knows how to win more than this guy.

duane v
07-06-2012, 04:10 PM
Plus if Nash can even place close to a wash against these other guys that is huge! If west brook accounts for 35 and Nash account 28.....that give us the advantage, because we are you to being like minus 20-25 at pg. lol

Westbrook will run circles around Nash in a 7 game series in a points battle.

Mr_Jones
07-06-2012, 04:10 PM
What's the fun of going into threads and being negative about things that this everything this franchise does that in actually, are positive things. I don't see how someone could get any sense of enjoyment about being such a dimwitted troll in these forums..

duane v
07-06-2012, 04:13 PM
Not sure where this criticism of Kobe is coming from. Its like people have forgotten that Kobe gets the most out of his teammates time and time again. The fact that he has won more than any other player in his era is more than sufficient proof that Kobe can adapt and evolve his game in order to provide his team the best chance to win. Nash is too smart and too good not to be effective. Furthermore, again it seems youre forgetting that Kobe went out of his way to ensure Nash came to the Lakers. The only reason KObe dominated the ball so much was because he had nobody else on his team to help him there. Again, enough with these foolish criticisms. Your bias is proven ignorant by Kobe's history. Nobody knows how to win more than this guy.

Kobe didn't win those championships by himself. The Lakers tried that experiment when Shaq left and that didn't work, and Kobe was still in his prime.

beliges
07-06-2012, 04:18 PM
Kobe didn't win those championships by himself. The Lakers tried that experiment when Shaq left and that didn't work, and Kobe was still in his prime.

Whose saying Kobe won by himself? One thing Kobe has proven is if you put players than can step up around him, he will win titles with them. He did it with Shaq, and once Shaq left and he got Pau, a guy that never ever won a playoff game, and won titles with him. All I said is Kobe can adapt his game to ensure maximum success for his team better than anyone else. He knows how to win better than anyone else. The fact that hes won more than anyone else in his era is more than enough evidence of that.

LakersKB24
07-06-2012, 04:22 PM
I feel like sometimes people overrate defense. Of course you need to be good defensively to compete, but it's TEAM defense which wins championships, not necessarily individual defense.
I know it goes kind of hand on hand, but tell me when the Lakers had a great 1on1 defender at PG in the last couple of years and we've still been a very good defensive team.

Sometimes you just have to take the good with the bad and in Nash's case what he has to offer for us on offense outweighs his defensive weaknesses BY FAR.
You can't really defend guys like Rose, Paul, Williams etc anyways and if necessary we can still put Kobe on them.

duane v
07-06-2012, 04:24 PM
Whose saying Kobe won by himself? One thing Kobe has proven is if you put players than can step up around him, he will win titles with them. He did it with Shaq, and once Shaq left and he got Pau, a guy that never ever won a playoff game, and won titles with him. All I said is Kobe can adapt his game to ensure maximum success for his team better than anyone else. He knows how to win better than anyone else. The fact that hes won more than anyone else in his era is more than enough evidence of that.

Kobe in his prime, I'll agree..... But Kobe in his decline.... we shall see.

Kobe IMO is too stubborn to change his game

GailGoodrich
07-06-2012, 04:26 PM

Would that be during the NBA 1-on-1 Championships, which they don't have?

Because if you give me Kobe, Nash, Pau, Bynum/Howard and a dead guy in the 4th Quarter of any game ever, I'm going to be hard-pressed to turn that line-up down in a 5-on-5 game.

The league and fan base has fallen hard for big ball-possession players who crash to the hoop, and during the regular season I'll admit that they're a potent weapon. But in the playoffs, when defenses are willing to step in and take the abuse those guys dish out, it's a different story. And if we hadn't had a clown season where everything was compressed, including the playoff schedule, which favored young, high-energy, aggressive players, Boston and San Antonia might have done more damage, or even closed out OKC/Miami.

I'm really looking forward to a stable season with full camps and regular schedules. I don't know that anybody learned much of anything last year.

beliges
07-06-2012, 04:28 PM
Kobe in his prime, I'll agree..... But Kobe in his decline.... we shall see.

Kobe IMO is too stubborn to change his game

He did it before his prime, he did it during his prime, and he did it during his decline with Pau.

GailGoodrich
07-06-2012, 04:31 PM
Not sure where this criticism of Kobe is coming from. Its like people have forgotten that Kobe gets the most out of his teammates time and time again. The fact that he has won more than any other player in his era is more than sufficient proof that Kobe can adapt and evolve his game in order to provide his team the best chance to win.

Kobe's single biggest defense of his single-minded determination to win is that he's won. But I think going 6-for-24 and having to get bailed out by the team humbled him a bit, and taught him a lesson he should have learned a long, long time ago: nobody can do it alone, no matter how much willpower they have. If Kobe had been born with Tim Duncan's attitude he'd have two or three more rings than he has now because he'd have played with Shaq longer, and avoided those years when the team simply didn't have the horses.

I'm really hopeful Kobe finally gets it. Maybe his quasi-divorce and his playoff exit the past two years despite doing everything that he thought he could has given him some wisdom. If not, it's crash and burn time again.

duane v
07-06-2012, 04:32 PM
He did it before his prime, he did it during his prime, and he did it during his decline with Pau.

But he didn't do it by himself.

Kobe is great, but he's not worth $25 mil a season.... Though the Lakers wont say it publicly, but under their breaths they cant wait to get Gasol and Kobe's contracts off the books;)

dh144498
07-06-2012, 04:33 PM

i consider 2010 Kobe's prime still. You can see a slight decline from the previous year but he was still playing like a top 3 player in the league.

beliges
07-06-2012, 04:37 PM
Kobe's single biggest defense of his single-minded determination to win is that he's won. But I think going 6-for-24 and having to get bailed out by the team humbled him a bit, and taught him a lesson he should have learned a long, long time ago: nobody can do it alone, no matter how much willpower they have. If Kobe had been born with Tim Duncan's attitude he's have two or three more rings than he has now because he'd have played with Shaq longer, and avoided those years when the team simply didn't have the horses.

I'm really hopeful Kobe finally gets it. Maybe his quasi-divorce and his playoff exit the past two years despite doing everything that he thought he could has given him some wisdom. If not, it's crash and burn time again.

First of all, Ill repeat once again, nobody is saying Kobe has done it by himself. And its funny that you mention that the singe biggest defense of his single minded determination to win is that hes won. Its funny because thats the absolute best fool proof evidence one needs to show that Kobe's "single-minded" attitude works. Lets me remind you that he is the most winningest player of his era.

And its just plain dumb to say that Kobe wouldve won two or three more rings if he had Duncan's attitude. Do you have any idea how difficult it is to win championships? The guy has 5 right now. You think he couldve won 7 or 8 if he had Duncan's attitude? Again, hes the most winningest player of his era. That is the absolute best one can ask for in their career. He is among the top 5 or 6 greatest players to ever play the game. And yet you criticize him for his "single-mindedness?" Dude knows how to win better than anyone else.

GailGoodrich
07-06-2012, 04:49 PM
Its funny because thats the absolute best fool proof evidence one needs to show that Kobe's "single-minded" attitude works.

It's great that he thinks that way, but it also gives him a massive blind spot. Yes, he's almost always superior to everybody else on the court, but his unshakeable belief in his own ability has been greater than his ability. Maybe you have to think that way to be as good as he is, but there's no question that it gets in the way of playing team ball, and even, at times, winning.

You think he couldve won 7 or 8 if he had Duncan's attitude?

Honestly I do. Shaq was still great, and Kobe was just coming into the peak of his powers, when the two of them decided they couldn't live with each other. If what you want are rings, then you figure out how to make it work. The template for this was Magic/Kareem, where Cap was The Man until age started catching up to him, and they managed to pass the mantle without blowing up the team.

Don't forget what the Shaq/Kobe Lakers did in the playoffs in 2001. They were unholy destroyers:

http://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2012/story/_/page/greatestruns-1-5/nba-playoffs-ranking-greatest-runs

Kobe needed to prove to the world that he was the man. What he ended up proving was that he needed help. Even MJ needed help. Even Bird. Even Magic. Maybe most of all even Wilt. But Kobe needed to prove that to himself, and in doing so he gave up a few seasons bashing his all-world ego against the brick wall known as basketball.

duane v
07-06-2012, 05:13 PM
It's great that he thinks that way, but it also gives him a massive blind spot. Yes, he's almost always superior to everybody else on the court, but his unshakeable belief in his own ability has been greater than his ability. Maybe you have to think that way to be as good as he is, but there's no question that it gets in the way of playing team ball, and even, at times, winning.

Honestly I do. Shaq was still great, and Kobe was just coming into the peak of his powers, when the two of them decided they couldn't live with each other. If what you want are rings, then you figure out how to make it work. The template for this was Magic/Kareem, where Cap was The Man until age started catching up to him, and they managed to pass the mantle without blowing up the team.

Don't forget what the Shaq/Kobe Lakers did in the playoffs in 2001. They were unholy destroyers:

http://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2012/story/_/page/greatestruns-1-5/nba-playoffs-ranking-greatest-runs

Kobe needed to prove to the world that he was the man. What he ended up proving was that he needed help. Even MJ needed help. Even Bird. Even Magic. Maybe most of all even Wilt. But Kobe needed to prove that to himself, and in doing so he gave up a few seasons bashing his all-world ego against the brick wall known as basketball.

AAA+++
:clap:

Vinylman
07-06-2012, 09:49 PM

It's DuaneV .... don't you know the deep seeded hate he has for kobe...

his 2007 posting has been memorialized by PSD for the Hate...

DuaneV wanted to trade kobe for the Deng/Gordon package...

His current diatribe (last 2 days) is very similar to 2007

The good news is that he is never right :clap:

showtime24
07-06-2012, 11:28 PM
^so this duave guy is similar to lakersfan01 who wants to amnesty kobe lmao

Mr. NBA
07-06-2012, 11:30 PM
Mike Brown offense is basically "give the ball to LeBron"

"give the ball to Steve" now....Mike and Nash will work fine on offense.

GREATNESS ONE
07-07-2012, 12:53 AM
What's the fun of going into threads and being negative about things that this everything this franchise does that in actually, are positive things. I don't see how someone could get any sense of enjoyment about being such a dimwitted troll in these forums..

:laugh2: oh the irony

Didn't I catch you trolling in the NBA forum?

Not that it matters, just saying.

Glad to know you're not always like that must have just been an off day :rolleyes:

New Power House
07-07-2012, 01:00 AM

They have to up grade the 1 and the 2 for the bench. Kobe and Nash need to play less minutes during the regular season.

Potentially the Lakers can sign the two Hills ad Sessions if they want,but Sessions and Blake are not good shooters. Mc and Blake should go for a proven shooter. Lakers can get a sf and Pf for the ML and Vet.
We have Hills' bird rights or not. SO is with Sessions.

jayjay33
07-07-2012, 01:05 AM

Accounts for.....ie points an assists.

CalJo1617
07-07-2012, 03:01 AM
These so called experts think Westbrook n Parker will go through Nash, but doesnt it go both ways? They're not guarding sessions, blake, fisher anymore. They can't play the passing lanes like Westbrook was doing all series. Nash will expose they're weakness, they can't play defense either.

Lakersfan2483
07-07-2012, 03:33 AM
It is all about "TEAM" defense and never about stopping someone w/o help. Obviously Nash isn't all league defender, however he isn't a liability on the court. He will be fine.

Nica
07-07-2012, 07:57 AM
It is all about "TEAM" defense and never about stopping someone w/o help. Obviously Nash isn't all league defender, however he isn't a liability on the court. He will be fine.

Finally- an accurate summation. No he's not going to lock down a younger faster
pg. But he will draw a charge and its not for lack of effort or plain dis-interest.
The man is very fluid with the ball but his reactionary lateral movement against a quick guard is not great. But it never was and has nothing to do with age.

His defense will be fine this year with the proper rotational help. Any guard- let alone a 38 year old not known for either his ups or fast hands-will get abused by fast guards like Rondo.
People have to remember Nash played the bulk of this career with little or now low post help. Recall STATS's standard defense ?> don't rotate, move out of the way and try to block a ball from the side or from behind.
But this year when Nash gets taken off the dribble there will be Bynum to contend with. Not to mention a couple of quick handed ball hawks like Kobe and Metta lurking off the wings.

Haeloine
07-07-2012, 08:34 AM
Finally- an accurate summation. No he's not going to lock down a younger faster
pg. But he will draw a charge and its not for lack of effort or plain dis-interest.
The man is very fluid with the ball but his reactionary lateral movement against a quick guard is not great. But it never was and has nothing to do with age.

His defense will be fine this year with the proper rotational help. Any guard- let alone a 38 year old not known for either his ups or fast hands-will get abused by fast guards like Rondo.
People have to remember Nash played the bulk of this career with little or now low post help. Recall STATS's standard defense ?> don't rotate, move out of the way and try to block a ball from the side or from behind.
But this year when Nash gets taken off the dribble there will be Bynum to contend with. Not to mention a couple of quick handed ball hawks like Kobe and Metta lurking off the wings.

Hopefully your right man.. which just shows the need for D12.. Bynum is too lazy.. But if we keep drew and he changes his ways and becomes the defensive anchor that he has the potential to be ala 10 blocks in first round.. We would be unstoppable

New Power House
07-07-2012, 04:55 PM
Hopefully your right man.. which just shows the need for D12.. Bynum is too lazy.. But if we keep drew and he changes his ways and becomes the defensive anchor that he has the potential to be ala 10 blocks in first round.. We would be unstoppable

That is the main reason why the Lakers are thinking to pull the trade! Bynum is not a smart player and he is rebellious stupid! Howard is the defensive stopper that we need! Bynum will never change his mentality unless Zen come around.

Black24Momba8
07-07-2012, 06:16 PM
Nash will feed the big Fella and keep him happy and it will show on defence. He has Kobe's mind set and just want to eat also. Dont act like ya'll dont watch Kobe throw his hands up standing around (bit¢hing) while the other team scoring on the other court thats unacceptable even for Kobe who does it often when he dont get his calls the only difference between Kobe & Drew is I guess Kobe earned the right to do it with his 5 rings.