PDA

View Full Version : Mediocre players getting crazy money

jsthornton7
07-06-2012, 01:04 PM
Is it just me or are team's signing players to contracts for way more than they're worth.

Just heard Jeff Green is gonna get 40m over 4 years.
Omer Asik will get 25m over 3 years.
George Hill is getting 40m over 5 years.
Landry Fields 20m over 3 years.
Roy Hibbert is getting the MAX lol
So is Eric Gordon, although he's pretty good he isn't worth a MAX contract.

Im sure there are some that I've forgotten but you get the picture.

I thought teams were trying to lower payroll...

oh yeah and Goran Dragic is gonna get 10m a year lmao

Shkelqim
07-06-2012, 01:07 PM
Yeah desperate owners are doing this. Smart Owners wait to give a max contract.

Mr_Jones
07-06-2012, 01:09 PM
Tis sad

Vinylman
07-06-2012, 01:11 PM
Hibbert and Gordon deals aren't that out of line

and Dragic is only getting $8 per year

those really aren't that bad especially when you consider that the max is LESS in terms of years and annual salary than it use to be for those guys

Those other deals are out of line though

gaughan333
07-06-2012, 01:15 PM
It's rather ridiculous. The NBA has sort of become a joke overall though

ccugrad1
07-06-2012, 01:15 PM
The bad thing with a few of these deals is that they throw the entire pay structure out of wack. I don't think Eric Gordon's contract is that bad and neither is Dragic's.

But when you see a guy who averages 3.1 PPG, 5.3 RPG, and 1 BPG getting over 8 million a year, all that does is throw things out of wack because from now on, mediocre players and their agents are going to look at this deal and use it as the basis for their contract discussions.

StarvingKnick22
07-06-2012, 01:22 PM
you forgot Jeremy Lin

llemon
07-06-2012, 01:23 PM
Many NBA teams cleared capspace, and now they have to spend.

The big market teams with no capspace are using all the loopholes at their disposal to spend as much as they can.

Hence, players getting overpaid.

MrKlutch
07-06-2012, 01:28 PM
Most teams have the cap space too. And in order to get better, you're going to have to overpay a few players in order to get them. Always happens.

HouRealCoach
07-06-2012, 01:34 PM
NBA really needs to get rid of the "restricted" Free Agent thing

JWO35
07-06-2012, 01:42 PM
1yr away from Kwame Brown getting a max contract...

-Kobe24-TJ19-
07-06-2012, 01:49 PM
lol but where is Kwame?

last time I heard about him, he broke his chicken hand in a warriors jersey

Oldmantrash
07-06-2012, 01:51 PM
The way the NBA is set up, in a small market, if you don't over nobody wil come to your team

TrAv=MaGiCfReAk
07-06-2012, 01:58 PM
I really don't think the asik deal is that bad for someone who can be a starting center and as young as he is... His presence alone changes people shots its not all about ppg

jsthornton7
07-06-2012, 01:58 PM
you forgot Jeremy Lin

I think Jeremy Lin is worth his contract solely based on his marketability in the asian community here, but more importantly his presence internationally. whatever team he signs for will reap the rewards of that.

scaramantula
07-06-2012, 02:06 PM
some people are acting like this is a new thing, this happens every year, and because this happens every year its not crazy at all its the usual,

and sure some of those players don't deserve the money, but most pro athletes don't deserve the money they get, so...

nate2usmc
07-06-2012, 02:15 PM
The owners (majority of them) haven't learned **** from the last lockout and will be complaining about losing money again in the next CBA talks lol.

lakerboy
07-06-2012, 02:25 PM
I think dumb managers do not realize that just because they have cap space, it does not mean they have to spend it!! I mean look at all these idiots giving out contracts. They are going to be stuck with a mediocre player and trapped in a cap problem for a long time.

They have to be more patient. Look at Dallas, things don't look so good now, but they are very calm and not in panic.

nate2usmc
07-06-2012, 02:28 PM
I think dumb managers do not realize that just because they have cap space, it does not mean they have to spend it!! I mean look at all these idiots giving out contracts. They are going to be stuck with a mediocre player and trapped in a cap problem for a long time.

They have to be more patient. Look at Dallas, things don't look so good now, but they are very calm and not in panic.

Exactly. I know it kinda sucks to be a Mavs fan right now and others are laughing at em but Cuban said it best: Better to let the right player get away than to sign the wrong one. Dallas is playing it smart.

lakerboy
07-06-2012, 02:38 PM
The way the NBA is set up, in a small market, if you don't over nobody wil come to your team

That small market crying is bull crap. That whole talk started because people didnít want to give the Lakers and Yankees management enough credit for building dynasties after dynasties.

Just look at all these other teams in big cities: Clippers, Knicks, Warriors, Bulls. Mets, Dodgers and Angels.

It's 90% good management.

torocan
07-06-2012, 02:43 PM
GET OVER the SALARIES.

Stupid owners will always be stupid owners, and NO CBA can fix that.

However, the number of Max deals increasing is inevitable given the current CBA.

1) Lowered the size of the Max Salary - Players that would get $20M now only get $15M. That doesn't mean a $15M player is suddenly worth $10M. It just means $15M = ANY player worth $15M-$20M+ under the old CBA.

2) Put in an 80% (85% in 13/14, 90% in 14/15) minimum spending requirement. This means you can't SIT on tons of CAP space every year. So, you going to spend that on tons of VET min players? No, you're going to fill out on 2nd and 3rd Tier players. This increases the value of the 2nd and 3rd tier players once the Superstars are Gone.

So, are most of these deals worth huge deals? OF COURSE THEY ARE.

Under the Current CBA it's the SMART way to spend your money.

You have to spend the money ANYWAY, so you want the most impact you can get, THEN worry about saving a dollar since you have to spend 80-90% of the Cap anyway...

lakerboy
07-06-2012, 02:43 PM
Exactly. I know it kinda sucks to be a Mavs fan right now and others are laughing at em but Cuban said it best: Better to let the right player get away than to sign the wrong one. Dallas is playing it smart.

Do not worry about it. I remember 6 years ago when the Bulls had salary cap and decided to throw everything at Ben Wallace. That move was just extremely dumb. Not only was he old, but he flat out sucked.

I don't remember if they made the playoffs that year. I didn't think so.. since they got the first pick of the draft in 2008.

Man, these types of moves are just :facepalm:

nate2usmc
07-06-2012, 02:44 PM
That small market crying is bull crap. That whole talk started because people didnít want to give the Lakers and Yankees management enough credit for building dynasties after dynasties.

Just look at all these other teams in big cities: Clippers, Knicks, Warriors, Bulls. Mets, Dodgers and Angels.

It's 90% good management.

Yup. Last I checked, Oklahoma and San Antonio aren't considered big market cities. Winning cures EVERYTHING. Attendance, player retention etc EVERYTHING.

BKLYNpigeon
07-06-2012, 02:44 PM
theres just not enough talent to go around in the league. The Second Tier players get overpaid, its always the case.

I seriously think players like Lebron and Howard are underpaid.

scaramantula
07-06-2012, 02:56 PM
Yup. Last I checked, Oklahoma and San Antonio aren't considered big market cities. Winning cures EVERYTHING. Attendance, player retention etc EVERYTHING.

sorry who was the last big free agent san antonio or oklahoma city sign? so what you meant to say was winning the lottery

scaramantula
07-06-2012, 02:56 PM
theres just not enough talent to go around in the league. The Second Tier players get overpaid, its always the case.

I seriously think players like Lebron and Howard are underpaid.

then you have no sense of money

sunnydayin'zona
07-06-2012, 03:08 PM
Hibbert and Gordon deals aren't that out of line

and Dragic is only getting $8 per year

those really aren't that bad especially when you consider that the max is LESS in terms of years and annual salary than it use to be for those guys

Those other deals are out of line though

Agreed.

Dragic is 7.5 mil a year, plus a 1 mil bonus if he makes an all star game. Not bad for your starting pg.

Hibbert's and Gordon's max deals arent Joe Johnson 120mil max deals. They're like 13.5mil a year. Which is pretty reasonable for what they bring to the table for your team. I mean, Gordon is the Suns franchise player if he does end up coming.

King41
07-06-2012, 03:42 PM
NBA really needs to get rid of the "restricted" Free Agent thing

this

Sixerlover
07-06-2012, 04:14 PM
It's disgusting really.

StarvingKnick22
07-06-2012, 05:17 PM
I think Jeremy Lin is worth his contract solely based on his marketability in the asian community here, but more importantly his presence internationally. whatever team he signs for will reap the rewards of that. Hey everybody watch when Lin signs back to the Knicks this guy is gonna say he is overrated. i dont believe it is because he is asian he is hyped. he did not even have one of the top 5 selling jerseys in China! so watch you said is based basically on racism. IMO