PDA

View Full Version : Lou Williams not returning to Philly.

kdspurman
07-06-2012, 12:25 PM
Via his twitter:

@TeamLou23: Philly, I appreciate you all. Unfortunately I will not be coming back ... they decided to move in a different direction

popo85
07-06-2012, 12:27 PM
Bucks?

-Kobe24-TJ19-
07-06-2012, 12:29 PM
Lou is a really good player.

Its time for him to get a starting job.

Mavs?

Swashcuff
07-06-2012, 12:30 PM
Really solid player. Either you hate him or you love him and in Philly he got both from our fans often times in the very same game. I'll miss him in Philly. Would have love to get him back CHEAPLY but that didn't look very likely.

Wishing him all the best.

RLundi
07-06-2012, 12:31 PM
What is Philly management doing? Are they completely restarting? Amnestying Brand and not re-signing Lou? After they had a pretty deep playoff run?

Honestly, I don't get it. Can any Sixers fans chime in?

KB-Pau-DH2012
07-06-2012, 12:33 PM
Kinda expected since they just signed Nick Young. Nothing really interesting since he hasn't chose a team yet. :shrug:

GiantsSwaGG
07-06-2012, 12:36 PM
Lou is a really good player.

Its time for him to get a starting job.

Mavs?

Good, but not by much

Really good scorer

Maybe the worst defender in the league right now

He's not a starter and he will never be. His best position is the 6th man role nothing more

Baller1
07-06-2012, 12:37 PM
What is Philly management doing? Are they completely restarting? Amnestying Brand and not re-signing Lou? After they had a pretty deep playoff run?

Honestly, the only reason you can call it a semi-deep playoff run is because of injuries to Chicago. No disrespect to Philly, but it's the truth.

I think Philly is going with a youth movement. I feel Iggy will be gone relatively soon as well.

speakerboxx

He want's $8+ million a year he's 6' and he's an extremely streaky shooter who plays very little defense... Those of us who whatch him everyday knows his limitations even if sometimes he doesn't...He's not a building block he's a piece that shouldn't be overpaid for...

Swashcuff

We're out of the loop on this as well. :confused:

I suspect its one of two things. Either we're going to completely commit to youth for now or a big move is on the horizon. Hell we could possibly be setting up for 2013/2014 Free Agency but who knows. :shrug:

Time will tell I guess.

smith&wesson
07-06-2012, 12:40 PM
he would be a fine 6th man on any team

Shkelqim
07-06-2012, 12:41 PM

We've been hoping this would happen. Lou is commanding the same type of salary Thad Young received which we couldn't live with considering he was coming off the bench. Plus the guy has zero defense ability, sometimes he kept us in games but sometimes he would shoot us out of games. I will miss him, but i think with the replacement of Nick Young he's a cheaper player and it's only a one year deal. Basically covering Meeks and Lou Will.

SeoulBeatz
07-06-2012, 12:46 PM

Lou and Brand were completely absent in the playoffs for the most part.

Lou was our leading scorer in the regular season, but in the playoffs he was our 5th.

Without their contributions, the Sixers were still only one game shy of the ECF.

Management probably believes since the team functioned pretty well without Lou and Brand, they could afford to let them go. Especially since Lou's gonna command more money than he deserves.

The Brand amnesty was apparently done to sign Nick Young. I'm thinking there could be a trade in the works for a PF centered around Iggy. Pau? Josh Smith? Al Jeff?

The Sixers drafted a PF in Arnett Moultrie and a SF/PF in Moe Harkless. So getting rid of Brand allows for the youth movement to take place.

As it stands the Sixers roster is very young (if I'm not mistaken, by losing Battie and Brand they are now the youngest or 2nd youngest team in the NBA), and pretty deep, but they have too many wings, and it just makes sense for them to go after a big.

Holiday 21
Turner 23/ Nick Young 27
Iguodala 28/Harkless 19
Moultrie 21 / Thad Young 23
Allen 23/ Hawes 22 / Vucevic 21

DaddyCool
07-06-2012, 12:46 PM
YES. I love life.

I no longer have to ever watch Louis Williams insult the concept of team basketball in a Sixers jersey. No more watching Lou and his 30% usage rate dribble the very air out of a basketball for 23.99 seconds before chucking some fadeaway that clangs off the rim.

ImTheKing30
07-06-2012, 12:51 PM

Most 76ers fans including me will tell you that the amnesty of Brand was a good move he was just making too much for what he produces anymore. As far as Lou Williams leaving I love him and it will be hard to see him go but he is going to command a large multi year deal and probably get overpaid by some team. I would have like to see him resigned but the FO must have different plans.

Shkelqim
07-06-2012, 12:54 PM
I have been preaching team basketball, when Lou got into games he wanted to be Allen Iverson, we all know nobody can be Allen.

Knowledge
07-06-2012, 12:58 PM

Lou is a good fit for a contender, but for us to overpay him and go into cap purgatory with a team that isnt a championship contender isn't smart. He can be a liability with his defense and poor shot section, but overall he just doesnt fit our direction and will be a better fit elsewhere. Brand is also does not fit where we are going and carries a heavy financial burden. We need to play our young guys and find out how to reach the next level, not hope for injuries to other team so we can advance in the playoffs.

We were somewhere around where the Hawks were. Make the playoffs and maybe advance to the 2nd round, but not good enough to beat the elite. We are hopefully going young and trying to manage our cap situation for future opportunities, though I wouldst mind us going after Ilyasova this off-season.

justinnum1
07-06-2012, 01:00 PM
he will get a similar deal as crawford.

Knowledge
07-06-2012, 01:09 PM
Also we have so man athletes on our team, we need a shooter and Nick Young can shoot. We have a overabundance of players who need the ball to score ( Iggy, Turner, Jrue, Thad and drafted Harkless), a guy who can spot up and shot is a godsend for us.

The Best Around
07-06-2012, 01:17 PM

A deep playoff run in which we beat a team without their top 2 players, and a team that would be top-5 worst in the league.

Lou Will is a ballhog and I never cared for him. I'd rather Nick Young on a 1-year deal as 6th man than Lou Will on a 3-4 year deal for more money.

MagicBucsSox
07-06-2012, 01:20 PM

It was said weeks ago they'd amnesty brand and go after Ryan Anderson. Ppl said I posted a wack article( silly Philly fans) looks to be coming to fold

Swashcuff
07-06-2012, 01:56 PM
It was said weeks ago they'd amnesty brand and go after Ryan Anderson. Ppl said I posted a wack article( silly Philly fans) looks to be coming to fold

I would LOVE for us to go after Anderson but the fact that we resigned Hawes and drafted Arnett Moultrie so the likeliness of us going after Ryan Anderson really isn't that high.

JWO35
07-06-2012, 01:58 PM
Mavs will overpay for him...

dodgersuck
07-06-2012, 02:03 PM
Meek Mill is gonna be heartbroken lol. Thanks for being a decent 6th man in Philly Lou!

jtrinaldi
07-06-2012, 02:06 PM
Bucks?
Ehhhh, He doesn't like to play defense though....:mad:

MagicBucsSox
07-06-2012, 02:46 PM
I would LOVE for us to go after Anderson but the fact that we resigned Hawes and drafted Arnett Moultrie so the likeliness of us going after Ryan Anderson really isn't that high.

They're saying iilysova now

shead5223
07-06-2012, 02:46 PM

seriously, he was not worth anywhere near what he was reportedly asking for. Nick Young will give you the same scoring and at his height he can be a more effective defender, although we cant expect much defense from him due to his past performance, but Lou might be the biggest defensive liability in the league so its an upgrade.

This team needs to move Iggy for a rim protecting 4. They have no interior defense and Iggy can be replaced by Turner and Thad at the 3 in spots until Harkless is ready. I would love Al Horford or Al Jefferson, who both are rumored to be available. I would move Iggy for Horford and include whatever they wanted back as well within reason in order to shape this roster and get Horford back to his natural position of 4.

PG- Jrue
SG- Nick Young
SF- Turner
PF- Horford
C- Hawes

6th- Thad
(or start Thad at 3, Turner at the other guard spot and N. Young off the bench)