PDA

View Full Version : Should we get rid of AGon?

RATEDR116
07-06-2012, 10:24 AM
boston fan but i live in ny and hard to find a real baseball fan with out them yelling boston sucks....so i would like to know what people think about trading adrain gonzalez...this was going to be his year ..shoulder is healed and this ballpark was made for him and nothing...he played better with a bad shoulder.....maybe we can use him to get a big name pitcher or big bat ...we can even try to use lavarnway at first...let me know what you think....

grandsalami
07-06-2012, 10:33 AM
NO..no....NO...

celticsman2009
07-06-2012, 11:19 AM
I think that the Home Run Derby messed him up. His power has significantly dropped since then, however trading him now seems a bit foolish.

Station 13
07-06-2012, 11:25 AM
I think that the Home Run Derby messed him up. His power has significantly dropped since then, however trading him now seems a bit foolish.

The HR derby, really? He should stop taking BP as well.

07-06-2012, 11:52 AM
Exactly.

To the topic at hand...**** no. Crawford and Ellsbury should be healthy next year and Middlebrooks will have some time under his belt. Its quite possible to contend the next 2 or 3 years with the right moves that work out. There's maybe 8 first basemen in MLB with the caliber at or better than Adrian's level.

goshhhjosh
07-06-2012, 01:31 PM
Adrian will be fine. He probably won't hit the number of home runs that was expected of him and I am disappointed with his power. However, trading him now seems stupid and foolish...one year into a massive contract.

gustofer1
07-06-2012, 03:52 PM
Isn't he hetting like. 380 with RISP?? That's one thing he can do consistently to go along with his gold glove defense. His power should come around, playing right field has probably got him a bit off his mark, he should finish with 20 homers and about 95 rbi. Next year will be better for us I'm sure.

Bo Sox Fan
07-06-2012, 04:10 PM
He is definately having an off year with the stick, yet he leads the American League in doubles.

His power is 'temporarily' disappointing but will surely come around again, and like gustofer1 said above, he IS hitting a rediculous .380 with runners in scoring position.

Don't be fooled by the lack of power, he is still a great hitter that can actually get better like he proved last year. He is going nowhere, nor would I want him to.

RATEDR116
07-06-2012, 04:28 PM
thaks for all who responded...:clap:
hate the term of wait till next year....so lets wait and see

RedSoxtober
07-06-2012, 07:47 PM
I think that trading him would be a mistake. He's hit well in patches (including a recent 8 or 9 game hitting streak) and may yet turn things around this season. Makes little sense dealing him while his value is down. Worse, the size of his contract means there's no one who'd take him without eating a healthy chunk of the deal. We can't keep paying players on other teams.

Lots of HR derby participants have complained about the derby (and prep) messing up their swings. It's different than BP; in the derby you're intentionally trying to put it in the seats, perhaps with a different approach and loft than you might normally have, while in BP you're simply focusing on your technique.

bagwell368
07-06-2012, 07:58 PM
Lots of HR derby participants have complained about the derby (and prep) messing up their swings. It's different than BP; in the derby you're intentionally trying to put it in the seats, perhaps with a different approach and loft than you might normally have, while in BP you're simply focusing on your technique.

Good job, saved me the time.

Nomar
07-06-2012, 08:14 PM
Whatever is wrong with him can get fixed, and probably will even if it wont happen until this offseason. He wont get traded though, and i would think that would be as stupid as it is improbable.

LasahShow14
07-07-2012, 03:00 PM
I'm sorry man but that's just nonsense even if we are playing terrible baseball. Although, I wouldn't mind fielding offers for Beckett and Ortiz right now. I know we wouldn't get much for the bum but Ortiz could net us a couple of good prospects. Don't get me wrong, I love Papi but we need players that are here to play the not make headlines complaining about the past.

Pavelb1
07-07-2012, 03:42 PM
I'm sorry man but that's just nonsense even if we are playing terrible baseball. Although, I wouldn't mind fielding offers for Beckett and Ortiz right now. I know we wouldn't get much for the bum but Ortiz could net us a couple of good prospects. Don't get me wrong, I love Papi but we need players that are here to play the not make headlines complaining about the past.

Im gonna say this just one more time. Who gives a **** what Ortiz says. His mouth has 0 effect on how the team plays and all that 'clubhouse cancer stuff' is complete ********.

LasahShow14
07-07-2012, 08:45 PM
Okay okay I may have been speaking out of our pathetic loss, but in all seriousness Beckett does need to go. But I would love for Papi to just quit talking about the contract. I mean if you were in the locker room would you want to hear that **** when he is making 16 million this year.

Pavelb1
07-07-2012, 09:30 PM
Okay okay I may have been speaking out of our pathetic loss, but in all seriousness Beckett does need to go. But I would love for Papi to just quit talking about the contract. I mean if you were in the locker room would you want to hear that **** when he is making 16 million this year.

Seriously, I doubt he talks about it in the clubhouse. But i wouldn't care if Becketts inconsistent *** was traded.

chomaru
07-07-2012, 11:23 PM
Gonzo is roasting right now on track to hit 55 doubles, some of those will probably turn into homers soon.

Nomar
07-08-2012, 11:16 AM
People can defend Gonzalez saying hes starting to hit now, but i sort of find this more alarming.

If a "power hitter" is on fire and still cant hit a few home runs, its concerning. Especially since he hasnt shown power since last June.

Gonzalez is a line drive hitter, true. But he was a line drive hitter in San Diego too, where he hit 40 bombs in the league's biggest park.

Hes not going to magically start hitting for power, hes going to have to diagnose his problem and then try to solve it. It's great that hes on a tear but a bunch f singles isnt helping us at all since our lineup has for the most part been a disaster as of late.

LasahShow14
07-08-2012, 11:59 AM
Seriously, I doubt he talks about it in the clubhouse. But i wouldn't care if Becketts inconsistent *** was traded.

Well I meant like just being in the clubhouse and knowing he is talking about it in interviews would irk you just a bit.

LasahShow14
07-08-2012, 12:04 PM
People can defend Gonzalez saying hes starting to hit now, but i sort of find this more alarming.

If a "power hitter" is on fire and still cant hit a few home runs, its concerning. Especially since he hasnt shown power since last June.

Gonzalez is a line drive hitter, true. But he was a line drive hitter in San Diego too, where he hit 40 bombs in the league's biggest park.

Hes not going to magically start hitting for power, hes going to have to diagnose his problem and then try to solve it. It's great that hes on a tear but a bunch f singles isnt helping us at all since our lineup has for the most part been a disaster as of late.

You have to think about the fact that we are playing without 3 guys that at their best are All Stars. I'm not saying he would be hitting more homers with Pedey, Crawford and Ells, but our lineup would be more consistent in getting runs on the board then they have this season. A-Gon has just been rolling over on alot of his swings and hopefully he will get it fixed but his lack of homers is not the reason we are not as good as we should be.

Nomar
07-08-2012, 12:15 PM
You have to think about the fact that we are playing without 3 guys that at their best are All Stars. I'm not saying he would be hitting more homers with Pedey, Crawford and Ells, but our lineup would be more consistent in getting runs on the board then they have this season. A-Gon has just been rolling over on alot of his swings and hopefully he will get it fixed but his lack of homers is not the reason we are not as good as we should be.

My point was that his lack of power is a concern and to live up to the contract we gave him as a first baseman hes going to have to hit for power.

bagwell368
07-08-2012, 02:17 PM

Half of Agon's power shots are to LCF, and a line drive to LCF is a double most of the time in Fenway which in case you forgot has a 37' wall. I told everyone here to expect more doubles and less HR's based on his hitting charts in SD - and I was right.

Hes not going to magically start hitting for power,

I'm sorry, but based on your writings I don't detect any technical knowledge on your part to make this claim.

hes going to have to diagnose his problem and then try to solve it. It's great that hes on a tear but a bunch f singles isnt helping us at all since our lineup has for the most part been a disaster as of late.

Anyone who turns up their nose at singles after a prolonged slump of a key hitter hasn't even begun to think it through.

Assuming he has no physical issue, I'll stick by my original prediction - that in the 7 years he spends here, he will equal the 7 years Jimmy Foxx spent here in Boston in terms of value of a 1B (adjusted stats of course since Foxx played in THE pinball era for hitters numbers).

As of today and using Agon's stats of the first half this year to be his 2nd half numbers, Agon'w 7 year WAR projects at 31.2 compared to Foxx's 33.2, and I don't expect Agon's 2nd half to be the same as his first half.

RedSoxtober
07-08-2012, 10:55 PM

Beckett's consistent. He always gets hammered by the Yankees.

khanusma
07-10-2012, 11:34 AM
Beckett's consistent. He always gets hammered by the Yankees.

and in the clubhouse.

Nomar
07-10-2012, 05:41 PM
Half of Agon's power shots are to LCF, and a line drive to LCF is a double most of the time in Fenway which in case you forgot has a 37' wall. I told everyone here to expect more doubles and less HR's based on his hitting charts in SD - and I was right.

How many balls has he hit to LCF at Fenway this year that would be HRs in other parks? No more than 3. You cant blame the monster for this much of a dropoff in power. He should have more than six on the road alone.

bagwell368
07-11-2012, 09:23 AM
How many balls has he hit to LCF at Fenway this year that would be HRs in other parks? No more than 3. You cant blame the monster for this much of a dropoff in power. He should have more than six on the road alone.

You need to look at his hitting charts last year and his whole career. It's not a matter of excuses, it's a matter of properly set expectations.

Now that being said, his HR's are lower then could be expected. I think I had him down for 34 last year and 37 this year. But his 2B count is pretty much dead on to what I said for both years. He has a great shot at a 60 2B season, which could lead to a 100 xBH season or two. We'll see.

Yaz went a calendar year with like 1 HR back in the early 70's. Things happen, and Agon is an elite hitter - a better player the Teixera since the day Agon started to play for us, and at a lot less money. People that are calling for him to be dealt are the same sort that have a couple of bad months in a marriage and go for a divorce. Ridiculous.

tonyd3b54
07-11-2012, 04:27 PM
this thread is why i hate talking about the red sox with most people.

seriously the guy has half a mediocre season and its time to trade him. really? same thing with lester. half a mediocre season and every one wants to trade him away too. its ridiculous.

agon and lester are both really good players that are locked up at good prices for a while. if you are going to start rashly calling for trades atleast make towards people that make sense like beckett or ellsbury

Beastmode 1988
07-11-2012, 07:23 PM
This is by far one of the dumbest threads I have ever read. Let's completely forget about last year and judge him on the first half of this year like everyone did to Papi. he's batting .280 and is gonna finish the year with 20 hrs anyway. Trade Adrian....stop watching baseball

Nomar
07-12-2012, 06:32 PM
We wouldnt and shouldnt trade Gonzalez.

However, i think Lester is a whole different scenario. He isnt signed to a contract of Gonzalez's magnitude for one. Lester also has never had a stellar year yet like Gonzalez has both in San Diego and Boston as well. We would get more than Lester is worth in a trade involving him in all probability (much lik the Cubs will for Garza).

bagwell368
07-12-2012, 10:28 PM
We wouldnt and shouldnt trade Gonzalez.

However, i think Lester is a whole different scenario. He isnt signed to a contract of Gonzalez's magnitude for one. Lester also has never had a stellar year yet like Gonzalez has both in San Diego and Boston as well. We would get more than Lester is worth in a trade involving him in all probability (much lik the Cubs will for Garza).

Please. Lester according to rWAR has these ranks for a pitcher in the AL since 2008.

2008: 4th
2009: 3rd
2010: 3rd
2011: 10th

Never had a stellar year? Lester has more top 5 finishes in his league for a pitcher then Gonzalez does for a hitter (5th, 9th).

Lester is having a meh season, we will get less for him in a deal then he is worth. At the very least have him start off next year well, then deal him. But realize you've dealt the ace of the staff - and a lefty too boot.

:facepalm:

avrpatsfan
07-12-2012, 10:41 PM
Please. Lester according to rWAR has these ranks for a pitcher in the AL since 2008.

2008: 4th
2009: 3rd
2010: 3rd
2011: 10th

Never had a stellar year? Lester has more top 5 finishes in his league for a pitcher then Gonzalez does for a hitter (5th, 9th).

Lester is having a meh season, we will get less for him in a deal then he is worth. At the very least have him start off next year well, then deal him. But realize you've dealt the ace of the staff - and a lefty too boot.

:facepalm:
How dare you use stats!

tonyd3b54
07-12-2012, 11:01 PM
How dare you use stats!

haha that was just a dumb statement. i didnt even have to look up stats to know lester has had some very good years. off the top of my head lesters last few seasons have been something like an era of 3.2, 3.4, 3.2 and 3.4 again. he had 19 wins one of those years and is always at the top of the league in K's

todu82
07-13-2012, 12:05 AM
No, no, no. Gonzalez is to important for us to ever trade him.

elements1985
07-13-2012, 01:34 AM
Lester ... isnt signed to a contract of Gonzalez's magnitude for one.

Besides the '07 World Series, I've admittedly never been the biggest Lester fan. But isn't that contract precisely why you KEEP him?

I dunno how else to slice it: this team cannot take on another $17+ million contract without first dealing Beckett or Lackey.

Despite his struggles this season, Lester still remains a steal at $7+ million....

elements1985
07-13-2012, 02:15 AM
The better Gonzalez question is whether or not we should've made the deal, IMO -- knowing what we now know about this pitching staff; a reasonable discussion, IMO -- not whether or not we should trade him.

AG is a Red Sox, however. Keep him.

goshhhjosh
07-13-2012, 08:47 AM
boston fan but i live in ny and hard to find a real baseball fan with out them yelling boston sucks....so i would like to know what people think about trading adrain gonzalez...this was going to be his year ..shoulder is healed and this ballpark was made for him and nothing...he played better with a bad shoulder.....maybe we can use him to get a big name pitcher or big bat ...we can even try to use lavarnway at first...let me know what you think....

Hey man just a suggestion.

Use capitalization, periods, and spell the names of the players correctly.

1_FrozenNetsFan
07-13-2012, 10:11 PM
You need to look at his hitting charts last year and his whole career. It's not a matter of excuses, it's a matter of properly set expectations.

Now that being said, his HR's are lower then could be expected. I think I had him down for 34 last year and 37 this year. But his 2B count is pretty much dead on to what I said for both years. He has a great shot at a 60 2B season, which could lead to a 100 xBH season or two. We'll see.

Yaz went a calendar year with like 1 HR back in the early 70's. Things happen, and Agon is an elite hitter - a better player the Teixera since the day Agon started to play for us, and at a lot less money. People that are calling for him to be dealt are the same sort that have a couple of bad months in a marriage and go for a divorce. Ridiculous.

I'm sorry...that made me laff...the thing about it is there's more than a grain of truth to what you say Bags...great analogy:)

fgunnell
07-13-2012, 11:56 PM

"thats a clown question bro"

fgunnell
07-13-2012, 11:58 PM
Get over spelling! This is a fan forum...not English class!

1_FrozenNetsFan
07-14-2012, 12:16 AM
To speak to the thread topic I say
no no no and NO

bagwell368
07-14-2012, 03:41 PM

Wat da eph ru talkin' bout?

fgunnell
07-14-2012, 06:02 PM

Wat da eph ru talkin' bout?

Ask Joshhhgosh!

Crucis
07-14-2012, 09:53 PM

Sounds more like an excuse to not bother trying. :eyebrow: