PDA

View Full Version : Report: Knicks will match Lin offer

NYSpirit1
07-05-2012, 11:57 PM
http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/story/_/id/8133974/new-york-knicks-bring-back-jeremy-lin-championship-hopes-rest-shoulders

And the obvious has finally happened. Hopefully Novak, JR Smith and Camby next.

Melo, Amare, Lin, Chandler, Shumpert and Kidd is a nice core for the next 2 years for a team with championship aspirations.

jayjay33
07-05-2012, 11:59 PM
No surprise here.....

llemon
07-06-2012, 12:07 AM
No surprise here.....

That was a terrible offer from Rockets. Surprised Lin signed that offer sheet.

xabial
07-06-2012, 12:07 AM
That was a terrible offer from Rockets. Surprised Lin signed that offer sheet.

This. Feels Like he could've gotten More if he waited.

JerseyPalahniuk
07-06-2012, 12:08 AM
the subtitle: New York will match Houston's offer, and its title hopes rest on his shoulder

First sentence:
"The New York Knicks will match the Houston Rockets' offer to Jeremy Lin, if only because they might lose half their fan base to Brooklyn if they don't."

"The Knicks basically need Jeremy Lin to become their Eli Manning," the league source said.

Even the writer's trolling hard haha

John Walls Era
07-06-2012, 12:10 AM
Easy offer to accept

RonE Coleman
07-06-2012, 12:13 AM
Why the **** does this guy create something in the NBA forum every single time he posts in the Knick forum?

jimm120
07-06-2012, 12:14 AM
Yeah, the more I looked at the deal, this is even CHEAPER than the 4yrs/$25 million the Knicks would have had to offer.

It would have been 4 guaranteed years for $25 million.

Here, the 4th year is a team option....so its only 3 years for $19 million...and if he does really well, Knicks can take the option for the 4th year at $10.4 million.

torocan
07-06-2012, 12:14 AM
I'm shocked! So shocked!

No not really. You knew something was up when...

1) Lin left dinner in Houston without signing.
2) Reports came in that Morey and Grunwald spent all day hammering out contract details.
3) The Offer suddenly changed from $31M/4 years with Player Option to $28M/4 years with Team Option.

Lin goes to Dinner > Lin goes home > Knicks sign Kidd > Lin decides to stay > Grunwald calls Morey > Grun/Morey adjust contract > Knicks sign Lin

Lin said in an interview earlier this year that Kidd was his Idol growing up.

Should be a blast watching Lin develop under Kidd. I can't imagine what it would be like to grow up watching your Idol then not only play on the same team, but end up being Mentored by him.

Must be nice.

popo85
07-06-2012, 12:17 AM
Good stuff looking forward to his game maturing under J.Kidd

mvb815
07-06-2012, 12:34 AM
i don't understand how signing kidd and matching lin makes sense to anybody.

please don't say it's all mentoring.

unleashthebeast
07-06-2012, 12:36 AM

Melo, Amare, Lin, Chandler, Shumpert and Kidd is a nice core for the next 2 years for a team with championship aspirations.

How do you plan on getting Camby? The vet min?

ChitownBears22
07-06-2012, 12:37 AM
lol at mentoring.....you can't teach court vision and basketball IQ

waveycrockett
07-06-2012, 12:37 AM

He's going to Mentor him and turn him into the next Yao Ming

torocan
07-06-2012, 12:39 AM

Matching Lin makes perfect sense. You can talk about year 3, but really it's $19M for 3 years, or $6.3M per year.

We knew he was going for MLE money, $6.3M/year is a fair price given his value in the FA market.

And our back up PG's were Bibby, Tony Douglas and Baron Davis. Davis is out for the year. TD is awful. Bibby is just slightly better than Awful.

Jason Kidd is a HUGE upgrade as a back up PG.

So, Kidd for $3M, upgrade the back up PG spot, he can also play spot up 2, and he can Mentor Lin, which you need to develop a young PG.

Kidd's not a great starter, but he's a very good BACKUP PG. If you think he isn't, I think you're not giving Kidd nearly enough credit.

So yes, alot of Knicks fans are happy with the deals, especially since we don't have to give up Shumpert (was going to happen with Nash deal).

llemon
07-06-2012, 12:41 AM
Easy offer to accept

Do you mean 'easy to match'?

Blitzace137
07-06-2012, 12:47 AM

That's fine because Lin clearly has both. Knicks assist to pass ratio was much higher with Lin out there. And anyone that watched him play knows it was J.Lin that resurrected Novaks career. He even made Jeffries a scoring threat lol.

ChitownBears22
07-06-2012, 12:51 AM
That's fine because Lin clearly has both. Knicks assist to pass ratio was much higher with Lin out there. And anyone that watched him play knows it was J.Lin that resurrected Novaks career. He even made Jeffries a scoring threat lol.

I watched a handful of his games and I don't get the hype. I watched Miami just destroy his confidence by putting pressure defense on him.

GiantsSwaGG
07-06-2012, 12:54 AM
I watched a handful of his games and I don't get the hype. I watched Miami just destroy his confidence by putting pressure defense on him.

We've seen Ruben Patterson shut down Kobe...

What's your point?

llemon
07-06-2012, 12:55 AM

Can't see Kidd being a mentor to a young PG.

torocan
07-06-2012, 12:56 AM

That's the problem. I watched every Lin game, both prior to Miami, the Miami game, and every game he played afterwards.

If you only watch a few games, any player can look unimpressive or awful. When you look at every game he's played, it becomes obvious that he's no scrub.

He's not an All Star right now, but he's a solid, and average STARTING PG.

He's not Top 10, but he's definitely around top 15 +- 2. Not bad in a compressed season without a training camp, rotating roster, and teams constantly changing defenses on him.

And when asked what he's going to work on during the off season, he said "everything".

Players like that don't stand still, they get better because that's how they work at it.

Lin will get better, not because he's ultra talented, but because his work ethic is off the charts.

llemon
07-06-2012, 12:59 AM

Assist to pass ratio? Who replaced Lin when he got hurt?

waveycrockett
07-06-2012, 01:01 AM
We've seen Ruben Patterson shut down Kobe...

What's your point?

Jeremy Lin is the next Kobe you heard it ^^^^^^ first

Losoway
07-06-2012, 01:03 AM
man LIN better play great this year. he put the knicks thru hell

smith&wesson
07-06-2012, 01:11 AM
the lin signing was expected. getting jason kidd as a back up.. now that, that was really smart imo.

you cant teach basketball iq and court vision. BUT having jason kidd mentor you is def not going to hurt you as a pg.

lin proved he can be a good player. but we can all agree that he is young, and still developing. having kidd there to organize things on the court is going to be huge. maybe lin can learn how to play with melo even

oak2455
07-06-2012, 01:18 AM
Jeremy Lin is the next Kobe you heard it ^^^^^^ first

Trolling and not thinking.... wow ... Whatever makes your day or night :clap:

Blitzace137
07-06-2012, 01:19 AM

Of course the infamous Miami game that every Lin doubters bring up. I can't wait for us to play Miami next season. The build up is going to be crazy I can see it now. Lin vs. Miami/Chalmers part 2. We'll see what happens should be exciting.

Blitzace137
07-06-2012, 01:21 AM
Assist to pass ratio? Who replaced Lin when he got hurt?

Baron Davis.

waveycrockett
07-06-2012, 01:21 AM
Trolling and not thinking.... wow ... Whatever makes your day or night :clap:

Someday you can tell your grand kids. Did I ever tell you about that 1 time the Heat shut down Jeremy Lin?

:rolleyes:

oak2455
07-06-2012, 01:27 AM
Someday you can tell your grand kids. Did I ever tell you about that 1 time the Heat shut down Jeremy Lin?

Or you can see the Nets win a championship or not.... I'll go with the not:D

ChitownBears22
07-06-2012, 01:28 AM

And then they will say "who the fck is Jeremy Lin"?

Sadds The Gr8
07-06-2012, 01:28 AM
pretty smart to get Kidd to back him up. I'm one of the few non-NYK fans that think Lin will be good

ChitownBears22
07-06-2012, 01:30 AM
pretty smart to get Kidd to back him up. I'm one of the few non-NYK fans that think Lin will be good

You guys got a steal with Lowry. Pure PG that can also shoot if he has too. But it isn't his first option.

HouRealCoach
07-06-2012, 02:11 AM
All of you were clowning the Knicks thinking that they would lose Lin lol... Now u call him dumb for not waiting for a bigger contract

Either way it goes Knicks will get downed lol

ChitownBears22
07-06-2012, 02:14 AM
Most of us didn't think they would lose lin. We thought they would overpay for him. And they will be 10 mil in year 3 that is 66 mil tied up between 4 players for the 14/15 season on a prayer he will be decent. If he isn't then how the hell will they move that contract? They won't!

believeinNYK
07-06-2012, 02:50 AM
Most of us didn't think they would lose lin. We thought they would overpay for him. And they will be 10 mil in year 3 that is 66 mil tied up between 4 players for the 14/15 season on a prayer he will be decent. If he isn't then how the hell will they move that contract? They won't!

Well I guess its a great thing there's a team option following the 3rd year of his contract isn't it?

Evolution23
07-06-2012, 02:51 AM

agree

Evolution23
07-06-2012, 02:53 AM

How is D rose going to learn it?

ChitownBears22
07-06-2012, 02:54 AM
Well I guess its a great thing there's a team option following the 3rd year of his contract isn't it?

Yeah well seeing that the 10 mill kicks in the 3rd year and the team will have 66mil tied up in 4 players it will be hard to bring in talent to fill the roster. That and the 15/16 season you have no one on the books except an offer to Shump and now Lin.

I am just saying I don't like the deal because:

A. I dont think he is that good
B. The accounting aspect of it seems chitty
C. To force yourself into Luxury tax for a "maybe" is just stupid in my eyes.

ChitownBears22
07-06-2012, 02:55 AM
How is D rose going to learn it?

hahahaha you still think I am a Lulls fan. Nice try at trolling, but my team is currently housing the O'Brien trophy.

Evolution23
07-06-2012, 02:56 AM
hahahaha you still think I am a Lulls fan. Nice try at trolling, but my team is currently housing the O'Brien trophy.

oh I get it... you are from Chi town but not a Bulls fan. makes sense.

ChitownBears22
07-06-2012, 02:58 AM

Yeah I lived in Chicago but didn't start watching the NBA until I moved to Jacksonville Florida!!!!!! Used to drive down I-95 5ish hours to watch HEAT games.

Suck on that hater!

KnickaBocka.44
07-06-2012, 03:00 AM

Don't waste your time. Kid has no idea what he is talking about.

ChitownBears22
07-06-2012, 03:01 AM
Don't waste your time. Kid has no idea what he is talking about.

Enjoy your Luxury tax hell in 14/15 for a team that doesn't even have a chance to compete in the East.

KnickaBocka.44
07-06-2012, 03:04 AM
Enjoy your Luxury tax hell in 14/15 for a team that doesn't even have a chance to compete in the East.

See you keep bringing up the luxury tax, but I don't own the team so I'm not paying for it. And you forget how valuable expiring contracts are to teams looking to rebuild. So even if Lin doesnt live up to his contract, when it starts getting expensive he can be traded for an asset. Get the blinders off fool :facepalm:

smood999
07-06-2012, 03:43 AM
Even if the Knicks are in salary cap hell the third yr and suck, immediately after that guess who's the biggest players in free agency....Lin, Melo, Amare, Chandler, Shumpert, Kidd all off the books...hell even coach Woodson off the books...this is a quick 3 yr window and after that the Knicks have literally a blank slate...not bad

smood999
07-06-2012, 03:46 AM
Pretty much worst case scenario the Knicks are a top 4 seed in the East the next 3 yrs...luxury cap hell in the last yr and then can sign multiple ppl the following yr...it will be a long time before the Knicks are a bad team again in the NBA...

LOOTERX9
07-06-2012, 03:50 AM
let Lin go to houston knicks, be patient and wait for cp3. ny aint winning title next season anyway. dont over pay for a average pg. smh

Evolution23
07-06-2012, 04:06 AM

Just in case you didn't realize, we the "fans" don't pay luxury tax. Plus our Owner has deep pockets because he owns the most profitable franchise. So try again. :rolleyes:

Evolution23
07-06-2012, 04:07 AM
Yeah I lived in Chicago but didn't start watching the NBA until I moved to Jacksonville Florida!!!!!! Used to drive down I-95 5ish hours to watch HEAT games.

Suck on that hater!

wow 5 hours to watch a Heat game. what a waste of time.

sharqstealth
07-06-2012, 04:38 AM

What a stupid statement! I ain't buying it... What's the use of mentoring if nobody can learn it? It's hard to teach court vision but I'm sure it can be learned, and who says Jeremy doesn't have the IQ well in fact he got to Harvard? Stupid trolls are really annoying...

NYKnicksAllDay
07-06-2012, 04:41 AM
let Lin go to houston knicks, be patient and wait for cp3. ny aint winning title next season anyway. dont over pay for a average pg. smh

Wait on CP3 for what? He ain't leaving the Clippers. And besides, there's this thing called a salary cap. The Knicks are over it.

Kuya_Clive
07-06-2012, 04:48 AM
What a stupid statement! I ain't buying it... What's the use of mentoring if nobody can learn it? It's hard to teach court vision but I'm sure it can be learned, and who says Jeremy doesn't have the IQ well in fact he got to Harvard? Stupid trolls are really annoying...

I also think that both can be learned,but it must be a lot harder to actually perform in game though. Also, bball iq is different from academic iq. KG has pretty damn good bball iq and he couldn't even get into college.

NYYCowboys
07-06-2012, 04:52 AM
Wait on CP3 for what? He ain't leaving the Clippers. And besides, there's this thing called a salary cap. The Knicks are over it.

Or sign and trade Lin and others for him.....

jam
07-06-2012, 05:00 AM
You pay it in the form of massively inflated ticket prices for games, massively inflated prices for parking, concessions, and merch. On top of that, you pay for it as advertising costs are rolled into the merchandise you pay for from sponsors. You also pay for it in your cable bill to watch the games.

Or, you can just stream the games online, although in so doing you won't even be able to tell the difference between spike lee and jason kidd because the resolution is so low.

Just in case you didn't realize, we the "fans" don't pay luxury tax. Plus our Owner has deep pockets because he owns the most profitable franchise. So try again. :rolleyes:

Kashmir13579
07-06-2012, 05:48 AM
Bout damn time.. I was getting worried there.

jimm120
07-06-2012, 05:51 AM
Wow.

The offer is even LESS than the reported $31 million. Knicks coulda offered $24.5 and now its up to 28.5 (only $4 million).

And on top of it, the last year is a team option and its the one with the most money

loublue22
07-06-2012, 06:26 AM
so when you match an offer sheet, you have to match the exact terms of the contract and not just the overall value?

LongIslandIcedZ
07-06-2012, 07:40 AM
Smart move. It's an extremely Knick friendly deal. 2 years at 5 million and if he sucks they have a 10 million expiring. With Nash not available its a win/win.

aztr0
07-06-2012, 08:17 AM
This. Feels Like he could've gotten More if he waited.

Lol so people complain about him waiting (talking about him being greedy etc.), and now that he accepted an offer sheet, people complain he should've waited longer and get a higher offer. Make up your minds people!

NYsFinest
07-06-2012, 08:39 AM
Lol so people complain about him waiting (talking about him being greedy etc.), and now that he accepted an offer sheet, people complain he should've waited longer and get a higher offer. Make up your minds people!

He cant win on psd... whether you think he is overrated or not, this is a very good contract for the knicks. Before you start saying how overpaid he is realize that Asik and Fields essentially got the same contracts....

Who here wiuld rather have fields on their team?

AKAYaReal
07-06-2012, 08:40 AM
You just cant win with some here on PSD. So now its not good because we will be in the luxury cap for 1 yr?

So if the Knicks dont match (seeing how this is a bad deal to some), who would be the next good option out there (even though Lin is a damn good option to have start for you), Ill wait, especially if we dont s&t for Kidd meaning we will use our mini mle.