PDA

View Full Version : Pacers undecided about Roy Hibbert

YungQ89
07-05-2012, 08:04 PM
David Aldridge:

League source says Pacers still have not decided if they will match proposed max offer sheet by Portland over the weekend to Roy Hibbert.

Would the Pacers be "crazy" not to match?
Can the addition of Roy Hibbert to the Trail Blazers make them a threat in the Western Conference?

thekmp211
07-05-2012, 08:06 PM
definitely not. he is not worth that contract. definition of "albatross", let portland have him

Dade County
07-05-2012, 08:07 PM
It would be cool to see a owner take a stand, but not in this case... they have to match.

Hibbert going out west is great news for me, but it's not going to happen.

Dade County
07-05-2012, 08:10 PM
pacers fans would be sooooo hurt if they didn't resign Hibbert.

Pacers might try to go after Lopez... the plot thickens!

Nice job script writers!

JWO35
07-05-2012, 08:10 PM
They can still make it in the east without him, I say don't match

beasted86
07-05-2012, 08:11 PM
The Pacers have $36M committed to salary for next season. Who else are they going to spend their money on? Or are they planning to sit below the salary cap again to try and save a dollar? :pity:

The Pacers can match the contract on Hibbert, re-sign George Hill, and keep Barbosa and end up barely above the salary cap. They won't be even remotely close to the luxury tax. I don't see the problem here. You'd think matching his contract will put the team into bankruptcy.

Gibby
07-05-2012, 08:12 PM
i dont think he is worth that but i feel the pacers dont they will take a step back.

thekmp211
07-05-2012, 08:13 PM
The Pacers have $36M committed to salary for next season. Who else are they going to spend their money on? Or are they planning to sit below the salary cap again to try and save a dollar? :pity:

The Pacers can match the contract on Hibbert, re-sign George Hill, and keep Barbosa and end up barely above the salary cap. They won't be even remotely close to the luxury tax. I don't see the problem here. You'd think matching his contract will put the team into bankruptcy.

it's called not overpaying for a decent big man. who is a straight up liability against the elite teams in the league.

that kind of thinking lands you overpaid centers, and hibbert is good but not a MAX CONTRACT player.

bholly
07-05-2012, 08:13 PM
Yeah, with the team they've put together and an amazing cap situation, they'd be crazy not to match. Sucks for them that they have to pay the max, but that's their only choice.

drew_ellis_23
07-05-2012, 08:14 PM
I think the blazers overpay but you have to with restricted FA's if you want them that bad. If the Pacers want Hibbert they will have to pay. If the Blazers get him he will be great along side Aldridge.

Dade County
07-05-2012, 08:14 PM
They can still make it in the east without him, I say don't match

make it where?

Phenomenonsense
07-05-2012, 08:16 PM
I hope he leaves so he heads West AND the Pacers get worse in one false swoop.

beasted86
07-05-2012, 08:16 PM
it's called not overpaying for a decent big man. who is a straight up liability against the elite teams in the league.

that kind of thinking lands you overpaid centers, and hibbert is good but not a MAX CONTRACT player.

Well the money has to go somewhere. They have to spend... what 85%??? of the salary cap.

If they don't keep Hibbert who are they going to overpay in free agency to compensate just so they can get up to that figure? Kwame Brown? Kaman?

Phenomenonsense
07-05-2012, 08:17 PM
There is a premium on big men.

RipCity32
07-05-2012, 08:21 PM
Thats a tough call for the Pacers,Big men are hard to get ahold of.

JWO35
07-05-2012, 08:21 PM
make it where?

To where they were last season, assuming they replace him someone 1/2 decent...

GoPacers33
07-05-2012, 08:22 PM
???

jayjay33
07-05-2012, 08:23 PM
If pacer let him walk.....it wil be the worst move in franchise history for them. They are maybe 1 piece away from being a contender.

beasted86
07-05-2012, 08:24 PM
To where they were last season, assuming they replace him someone 1/2 decent...

You really think the Pacers can be the 3rd seed again while losing Hibbert for nothing and replacing him with a current free agent Center?

mjt20mik
07-05-2012, 08:24 PM
I heard there might be interest in Oden.

D-Will4Prez
07-05-2012, 08:25 PM
Anyone else find it ironic that Pritchard's old team is screwing over his new one? For me, on one hand, Portland gets a darn good Center that will help them beat my team, on another, they'll be screwed financially paying him, aldridge, and matthews. If I were Indy I would match since Granger really wasn't meshing with the team last season and just let him go when his contract runs out (or trade him, not sure they'd get much for him though), so they'll be able to afford it (slightly).

YungQ89
07-05-2012, 08:27 PM
To think that the Pacers will be back to where they were last year without Roy Hibbert is just absurd.

JWO35
07-05-2012, 08:27 PM
You really think the Pacers can be the 3rd seed again while losing Hibbert for nothing and replacing him with a current free agent Center?

I meant 2nd round of the playoffs :shrug:

IversonIsKrazy
07-05-2012, 08:32 PM
MAX to clarify is not the same as say LeBron's MAX. Hibbert is a player who will get his first contract since his rookie contract, his MAX will be $14.5m. Noah gets $11m, Dwight/Bynum will get $15m+, Asik got $8.3m. Centers are rare these days, u have to overpay ur center to keep him because there will ALWAYS be another team that NEEDS a Center. Hell even championship teams need Centers (Miami, Boston, SA).

Indy should match. Although it is overpaid, like I just said above, every center is pretty much overpaid truth be told. U can't replace Hibbert because of the lack of talent of the C position in the NBA today. Simple. They re-sign Hibbert, Hill, Barbosa, and they are BARELY over cap. If there letting someone walk it should be Hill or Barbosa and making a run at OJ or Roy. But they should match.

If Indy don't match, a front-court of Roy/Aldridge/Batum will be real nice.

YungQ89
07-05-2012, 08:42 PM
I meant 2nd round of the playoffs :shrug:

I can't see them making it past the first round without a C

EDUTEXANS
07-05-2012, 08:43 PM
did the Blazers actually sign him on a offer sheet? All I heard is that they have offered the deal...

shen
07-05-2012, 08:45 PM
Hibbert and Blazers agreed on an contract, just waiting till 11th when he can officially sign.

Blitzbolt
07-05-2012, 08:46 PM
I get the Pacers because they are basically the Grizzlies of the West they have a good team but not good enough to win it all.

And if we keep our guys for to long we might become the ATL Hawks get the 5th or 4th seat and get beat by the good teams.

Is a hard decision for small market teams to make.

dtmagnet
07-05-2012, 08:47 PM
Remember when we all laughed when Javale McGee said he wanted 10 million a season earlier this year? The NBA is broken.

fadedmario
07-05-2012, 08:47 PM
Indiana would pay him if they were smart. If not - great news for us Pistons fans.

thekmp211
07-05-2012, 08:48 PM
MAX to clarify is not the same as say LeBron's MAX. Hibbert is a player who will get his first contract since his rookie contract, his MAX will be $14.5m. Noah gets $11m, Dwight/Bynum will get $15m+, Asik got $8.3m. Centers are rare these days, u have to overpay ur center to keep him because there will ALWAYS be another team that NEEDS a Center. Hell even championship teams need Centers (Miami, Boston, SA).

Indy should match. Although it is overpaid, like I just said above, every center is pretty much overpaid truth be told. U can't replace Hibbert because of the lack of talent of the C position in the NBA today. Simple. They re-sign Hibbert, Hill, Barbosa, and they are BARELY over cap. If there letting someone walk it should be Hill or Barbosa and making a run at OJ or Roy. But they should match.

If Indy don't match, a front-court of Roy/Aldridge/Batum will be real nice.

elite teams are trending smaller, so i disagree but they will probably match for these reasons. i just don't think matching essentially for the sake of matching makes a whole lot of sense.

ombada
07-05-2012, 11:08 PM
I hope he leaves so he heads West AND the Pacers get worse in one false swoop.

one fell swoop*

if your going to try and wish us the worst at least do it properly.

Losoway
07-05-2012, 11:29 PM
the fact that hibbert couldnt even get a rebound over chalmers during the pacers vs heat series. HELL NO I WOULDNT MATCH IT.. go after kaman he is better and cheaper

Phenomenonsense
07-05-2012, 11:33 PM
one fell swoop*

Thought that sounded odd and I assumed someone would be condescending about it. Thanks bud.

You guys should've never lost to Miami. Shane Battier defending the **** outta your big men was embarrassing.

YungQ89
07-06-2012, 05:30 PM
the fact that hibbert couldnt even get a rebound over chalmers during the pacers vs heat series. HELL NO I WOULDNT MATCH IT.. go after kaman he is better and cheaper

I remember they where interested in Kaman while he was in LA if im not mistaken

Fnom11
07-06-2012, 09:41 PM
one fell swoop*

Ironically you used the wrong your/you're.

RSSNBATRUTH
07-06-2012, 10:09 PM
Maimi Heat Theory... You can only have 3 max players on your team(not completely true). Can you win a championship with Hibbert as one of your 3 best players? No. Signing him to a max deal is signing on to be an average team.

llemon
07-06-2012, 10:16 PM
David Aldridge:

Would the Pacers be "crazy" not to match?
Can the addition of Roy Hibbert to the Trail Blazers make them a threat in the Western Conference?

Time will tell

sunsfan88
07-07-2012, 04:39 AM
pacers fans would be sooooo hurt if they didn't resign Hibbert.

Pacers might try to go after Lopez... the plot thickens!

Nice job script writers!

Lol Lopez to replace Hibbert? You do realize how much Lopez sucks right?

Plus he's a restricted FA and we'll probably match anything reasonable cause our FO has a mad crush on him and his afro.

Stuckey#3
07-07-2012, 04:52 AM
It's the Pacers funeral if they don't match...
It's hard enough for small market teams to keep franchise players.
If they let a top-5 Center walk its there own damn fault when they are back in the lottery next year.

Stuckey#3
07-07-2012, 04:55 AM

I wouldn't be bragging about that series bro. A team with zero superstars came very close to embarrasing your big three and the rest of your glory hungry bandwagon players.

Vinny642
07-07-2012, 05:15 AM
I would match it honestly, I know its a lot but he is a big man, and a good one that fits their team.

rhino17
07-07-2012, 05:21 AM
the pacers have too much to loose if they dont keep him, regardless of how absurd the contract is

King41
07-07-2012, 05:36 AM
good big are rare so i think at the end of the day they will pay him

bigsams50
07-07-2012, 05:48 AM

Plus he's a restricted FA and we'll probably match anything reasonable cause our FO has a mad crush on him and his afro.

I think he meant Brook Lopez

WickedBadMan
07-07-2012, 05:54 AM
They would be making a mistake to let him go.

Everyone cries "he doesn't deserve a max!", well guess what, teams like the Pacers and Blazers (at the moment at least) will never attract a player worth a max contact unless they drafted him themselves. Sooooo why not spend the money? So they have enough extra to sign one more middle of the road player to "put them over the edge"?

kblo247
07-07-2012, 07:47 AM
Get Mayo and Kaman for the same price if not less, and they will be better off

ombada
07-07-2012, 08:36 AM
Ironically you used the wrong your/you're.

its not ironic. some words i dont mind to use correctly in forums and dont care if others use them properly. These are only forums after all. But if im wishing someones team the worst, if i mess up on the phrase that keeps the whole sentence together, then i would hope someone would call me out as well.

and to the guy who i corrected, no offense. just sucks hearing someone wish for your team to suck, especially after we did for the last 5 years.

Davidgta1
07-07-2012, 09:11 AM
They will regret letting him go it they do.

RLundi
07-07-2012, 09:47 AM
How does Melo = MIP have 73 posts?? :laugh2:

RLundi
07-07-2012, 09:48 AM

Robin is very undesirable so I'm pretty sure he meant Brook.