PDA

View Full Version : Draft Pick Traded For Lowry Protected In One of The Most Unique Ways In NBA History

xabial
07-05-2012, 07:37 PM
As We Know Kyle Lowry Was Just Traded for a Raptors Future First Round Draft Pick.

The Pick Is Protected In a "Mirror" Like Manner Something I have Never Seen Before.. Very Interesting..

It's going to be a lottery pick, we know as much. Protected out of the lower 16 picks of the draft, in a move I cannot recall a mirrored one for in years of covering the NBA. It's also protected out of the top three next year, the top two in 2014 and 2015, and first overall in 2016. If the Raptors have a terrible time in the winnin' business over that span and luck out with those considerations, they'll also keep the pick. This is also where we remind you that Lowry has two years left on a contract that will pay him $12 million over that span (the final year the Raptors could even waive, should they decide to, and keep all but a million of the savings); a contract that might be the best value for production deal amongst NBA players that aren't on their initial rookie deals.

Houston Rockets Beat Writer Jonathan Feigen Reports (Via Twitter)..

"Rockets-Raptors pick will be protected both ways. Rockets won't get it if too high, but also will wait if Raptors season makes it too late."

Thats Crazy! Have you Ever Seen a 1st Round Pick That's Traded, PROTECTED In TOP 3, and BOTTOM 16? Lol. Guess Raptors Feel Like they can Find Diamond in the Rough :D This is a Very Unusual Conditions For a First Round Draft Pick Traded... Usually Teams Protect First Rounders They Trade In the Top Picks and Leave the Bottom Unprotected, but The Pick Is Protected In the LOWER 16 Picks, and The Top Is Almost Unprotected (Top-1-3 Up to 2016)

Sources: http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/kyle-lowry-traded-toronto-raptors-houston-rockets-continue-202826985--nba.html

Cal827
07-05-2012, 07:39 PM
:laugh: So they are literally getting a lottery-protected pick.

Basically 3-16 goes to them... anything else is ours.

dtmagnet
07-05-2012, 07:40 PM
So basically Raptors wanted it top 3 protected, and Houston wanted to make sure they would get something better than bottom 16.

xabial
07-05-2012, 07:41 PM
I Have never Seen anything Like This Before. I follow NBA trades all the time, and always Look At Conditions for First Round Draft Picks Traded, and I have never in my Life Saw a First Round Draft Pick Protected in a "Mirror" Like Manner.

Nothing Wrong With Protection in the Top 3, and Bottom 16 but its very...unusual :laugh2:

Props to the Rapors for Being creative :laugh2:

Hawkeye15
07-05-2012, 07:42 PM
makes sense obviously. No way you give up a top 3 pick, then 2, for Lowry, but no way Houston gives him up for a garbage pick. I would guess Toronto would be around #8-9 next season, unless they are one of the better story lines in the NBA next season, so the Rockets essentially will be trading him for a top 10 pick in a meh draft.

I still think Houston is having a really bad summer.

JerseyPalahniuk
07-05-2012, 07:42 PM
That Really Is Unusual But Why Capitalize Every Word In Your Sentences?

Makes sense both ways though. I didn't think this type of flexibility was possible in trading picks haha. Next thing you know GM's will trade protect the odd-numbered picks only to gamble hahaha

Chronz
07-05-2012, 07:43 PM
Solid gamble by both parties. The question becomes is Toronto good enough to be a fringe playoff team, a legit playoff team, or a team thats still horrible?

dtmagnet
07-05-2012, 07:44 PM
makes sense obviously. No way you give up a top 3 pick, then 2, for Lowry, but no way Houston gives him up for a garbage pick. I would guess Toronto would be around #8-9 next season, unless they are one of the better story lines in the NBA next season, so the Rockets essentially will be trading him for a top 10 pick in a meh draft.

We picked 8th this year and I think we will be a slightly better team next year.

Chronz
07-05-2012, 07:45 PM

Im loving the endless gambles they are taking. This will either be a disaster or a surprise, either way helps.

Cal827
07-05-2012, 07:45 PM
So Watch.. we'll win 50 games for the next 3 years... then go 10-72 in 2016 and hand them 2nd overall lol

First Overall will be the Bulls with that Bobcat pick lol

drew_ellis_23
07-05-2012, 07:51 PM
So basically Raptors wanted it top 3 protected, and Houston wanted to make sure they would get something better than bottom 16.

Pretty much. It is a win win. Smart move by both teams, and a bargain for two years of a solid PG. Toronto is doing a nice job this off season. Houstong is going to give Lin 30 million haha.

kblo247
07-05-2012, 07:51 PM

But Morey is a good GM and one of the best at his job #chronzvoice

Phenomenonsense
07-05-2012, 07:53 PM
We picked 8th this year and I think we will be a slightly better team next year.

So will the teams picking above you. Maybe a different story if you didn't waste your pick on T-Ross that early.

bholly
07-05-2012, 07:53 PM
I was thinking about this the other day and why it doesn't happen more. Awesome.

StarvingKnick22
07-05-2012, 08:02 PM
Lol

Bigbadmoffo
07-05-2012, 08:03 PM
So will the teams picking above you. Maybe a different story if you didn't waste your pick on T-Ross that early.

It's yet to be seen if it's a wasted pick. Meyers might ended up better then Drummond.

Hawkeye15
07-05-2012, 08:12 PM
Im loving the endless gambles they are taking. This will either be a disaster or a surprise, either way helps.

that I can agree with.

Hawkeye15
07-05-2012, 08:14 PM

I mean, everyone thinks their team will be better next year. Not saying they won't, but it's not as if they added an all star in Lowry.

Hawkeye15
07-05-2012, 08:15 PM
But Morey is a good GM and one of the best at his job #chronzvoice

he has been a very good GM, but so far, he is having a rough summer, unless his directive was to tank.

aussie
07-05-2012, 10:13 PM
weird

mvb815
07-05-2012, 11:33 PM
raptors only did this so david stern would consider rigging the lottery in their favor if they need it

mrblisterdundee
07-05-2012, 11:43 PM
Between Kyle Lowry and Landry Fields, the Raptors have had an awesome offseason. I would have traded Portland's 6th pick and a bench player for Lowry. Now they just need a real center.

xabial
07-05-2012, 11:52 PM
raptors only did this so david stern would consider rigging the lottery in their favor if they need it

Lmao

AddiX
07-06-2012, 12:00 AM
I really don't find any of this unusual, what I do find unusual is that Hou is still in complete asset building mode...

And that this is all they could get for Lowry.

Just a few days ago people were swearing to me up and down rockets knew what they were doing, every move they make is gold, and there gm is genius.

Might want to rethink that...

clutchski
07-06-2012, 12:03 AM

I think we played like a 5th pick team last year but other teams tanked around us. Still though, I see us in the 8-10 range next year with Lowry..Val, Bargs, Dero etc.

MrfadeawayJB
07-06-2012, 12:07 AM
wait, i'm confused lol :confused:

clutchski
07-06-2012, 12:22 AM

:facepalm: definitely not a wasted pick

BHF
07-06-2012, 12:34 AM
I mean, everyone thinks their team will be better next year. Not saying they won't, but it's not as if they added an all star in Lowry.

its not just Lowry that we added we also added 2 top 10 picks

Chronz
07-06-2012, 12:34 AM
I really don't find any of this unusual, what I do find unusual is that Hou is still in complete asset building mode...

And that this is all they could get for Lowry.

Just a few days ago people were swearing to me up and down rockets knew what they were doing, every move they make is gold, and there gm is genius.

Might want to rethink that...
What other offers do you know of? And why would we (I) rethink anything? This is what I was hoping they would do. Obviously I feel this is a low get on Lowry but I have trust that it was the best they could net for a disgruntled player, at least until someone shows what other teams were willing to offer.

TEXASTITAN
07-06-2012, 12:48 AM
We basically took the guaranteed lotto pick instead of just any first rounder and maybe a second rounder and I like it. This pick is likely to be used as a chip in a trade either moving up in a future draft or in a move to get the replacements they've been looking for sinc Yao and Tmac. If Houston goes in full tank mode with all the cap room they have and the flexibility they will have along with drafting in the top 10 in a 3 consecutive years and one of those years having potentially 2 top 10 picks within one draft we are setting up for the future finally. Trade Martin and Scola for future firsts and complete the trifecta.

LA_Raiders
07-06-2012, 12:51 AM
lol, great move by the Raps

smith&wesson
07-06-2012, 12:54 AM

we added lowry plus last years pick in jonas as well as this years pick in ross to derozan and bargs while replacing guys like a.carter and r.butler. its not hard to think we will be better next season. how much better im not sure. but we'll def be better imo.

back to the thread.. anything between 3-16 is theres. I would say thats a safe bet on their part. were going to be trying to make the playsoffs. i cant see us being worst then 11th in the east. that wouldnt exactly land us a top 3pick. im pretty sure if we dont make the playoffs they will get their top 10 pick. unless injuries or something crazy happens.

Knowledge
10-29-2012, 05:29 AM
The raps draft pick got Houston Harden. Now this is OKC's problem (or blessing).