PDA

View Full Version : Lin wants more money

NYSpirit1
07-05-2012, 05:47 PM
Alan Hahn ‏@alanhahn
RT @Ian_OConnor: Jeremy Lin wants more $ than reported $31M offer from Houston, according to league source. #Knicks facing a hefty match

I'm beyond shocked. This is the same guy who was so humble last year.

What has come to the NBA? Jeremy Lin thinks he's a max player apparently, since he'll be getting $15 mil a year in years 3 and 4 of this deal.

I can't stand the teams that have started this movement, like Dragic getting 4 years, $34 million. Asik, getting $15 million in his last year of his deal. This players are worth $4-$5 million max and now the entire landscape has changed so role players are getting horrid contracts while the foolish owners giving these contracts are the same ones who shrinked the cap and instituted the harsh luxury tax.

torocan
07-05-2012, 05:49 PM
That could just as easily be his agent trying to get Lin maximum value.

SportsFanatic10
07-05-2012, 05:49 PM
haha wow...how are the knicks gonna be able to sign him. hes gotta realize he only played a couple months of good basketball his whole career up until this point lol.

BigBlueCrew
07-05-2012, 05:50 PM

What has come to the NBA? Jeremy Lin thinks he's a max player apparently, since he'll be getting $15 mil a year in years 3 and 4 of this deal.

I can't stand the teams that have started this movement, like Dragic getting 4 years, $34 million. Asik, getting $15 million in his last year of his deal. This players are worth $4-$5 million max and now the entire landscape has changed so role players are getting horrid contracts while the foolish owners giving these contracts are the same ones who shrinked the cap and instituted the harsh luxury tax.

Beyond shocked? of what? be shocked if someone is dumb enough to give it to him.

airforceones25
07-05-2012, 05:51 PM
Linsanity welcome to Dallas!

dtmagnet
You can't blame a guy for looking out for his future.

ryang
This could be his only shot at a big pay day.. Very smart on his part...

NYK4L
He's crazy, the knicks even crazier if they match.

GREATNESS ONE
It's a business?

Iron24th
07-05-2012, 05:52 PM
After just two weeks of good play?

iam brett favre
07-05-2012, 05:53 PM
You do realize that players have agents, correct?

torocan
This could be his only shot at a big pay day.. Very smart on his part...

Exactly. He's a Harvard Econ grad.

He's got a top flight Agent.

And his GM told him to establish his market value.

Max money = market value. And this is his job.

I don't know many people that don't look for the best salary if they think they can get it. I don't expect any NBA player to be different unless there's a darn good reason for it.

scutch11
And the desperate Mavs are gonna give it to him.......****

soundjunkies2
He's going to make back all that money and more. Whatever team signs him will have the Asian market.

Dade County
07-05-2012, 05:54 PM
I'm started to like Lin Now........ lmao

Big Business lol

PlezPlayDKnicks
07-05-2012, 05:54 PM
sTOP CRYING.. What hes supposed to sell himself short for any franchise.

Max.This
07-05-2012, 05:55 PM
the knicks signed jason kidd to do one thing, mentor Lin. Knicks have said they will match any price

rubx3
07-05-2012, 05:55 PM
I understand where he is coming from. teams cut him, without a chance and come to find out he worth something. it's like slap in the face.

waveycrockett
07-05-2012, 05:57 PM
$40 Million. Thats what I think he gets.

lakerboy
07-05-2012, 05:58 PM
It's a business. When you reach 21 years old, you'll understand it.

jmoney85
07-05-2012, 05:59 PM
knicks can only blame themselves for this for hyping him up with the "linsanity"

waveycrockett
07-05-2012, 06:00 PM
He's going to put Knicks in Luxury tax hell

ryang
07-05-2012, 06:00 PM
not sure the knicks hyped him up.. id suspect they would have liked it to be a suprise.. Blame espn not the knicks and asia if you want to

Bravo95
07-05-2012, 06:03 PM
Humble? Shocked? Uh, it's a business. When you have leverage in negotiations, you better use it.

Showtime Steve
07-05-2012, 06:05 PM
Its easy to shine when nobody prepares for you (see carmelo, amare). So of course he looks good for a cpl months. When teams started having film on him, they broke him down. If he gets 30+mil more power to him, but he will fail to live up to that.

keetyweedy
07-05-2012, 06:07 PM
Linsanity welcome to Dallas!

I know this is a little far because its Lin but......:pray: we need you!

EastNYLos
07-05-2012, 06:08 PM
this guy is a cash cow so of course any team willing to sign him will reap the millions he's going to sell in jerseys and accessories etc.

Jint.
07-05-2012, 06:09 PM
$40 Million. Thats what I think he gets.

8 years?

yanksrock
07-05-2012, 06:11 PM
Can he actually get more?

John Walls Era
07-05-2012, 06:12 PM
Him and his agent wants money. What else is new? Why would he want less?

ACanadian
07-05-2012, 06:12 PM
Lin is a genius, haha poor poor Knicks fan's

Reversed86Curse
07-05-2012, 06:13 PM
**** that. Two good weeks doesn't equal big money. Bet he averages 8 and 4 next year.

torocan
07-05-2012, 06:13 PM

There's a difference between being Humble and being a Sucker.

Smart people don't leave millions on the table.

The Knicks made Millions upon Millions off Lin when he was making 700k per year, and played good basketball.

Other teams want a part of that and are willing to pay for it.

You can be Humble and still get paid. If teams don't think Lin is worth it, then they won't pay him. The fact is, teams WILL pay it because in the big picture, they think he's worth it.

Nothing to do with being Humble, it's about not being stupid.

Only Idiots take a salary cut for no reason, and Idiots don't go to Harvard.

TheNumber37
07-05-2012, 06:15 PM
31 mil is too much for Lin. If that offer stands at that, it's more of a gesture for giving a spark to an otherwise disappointing season for the Knicks. If the Knicks sign him for 40 mil they are insane. Not a bad idea to listen to offers, but Lin should've been a lock to re sign with the Knicks - AND - at a reasonable price. 3 years 20 mil or 4 years 26 mil. That is an investment. And he's asking for 50% above that for 30 games of play, coming off of an injury?

keetyweedy
07-05-2012, 06:17 PM
**** that. Two good weeks doesn't equal big money. Bet he averages 8 and 4 next year.

On the knicks he will because he would have to split the touches w/ mel & amare

More-Than-Most
07-05-2012, 06:18 PM
I am praying he signs with the knicks lol... He is gonna be such a bust

jayjay33
07-05-2012, 06:19 PM
Lin wants what he is worth.... To many of you want him to take just what his on court ability is worth. But why?he has to consider his of the court worth as well. You can't say to a guy heyday want you to make me all this extra money, but I don't want to have to pay you extra for it.

NJallDAY
This is actually the perfect opportunity for Dallas. They lost out on D.Will and J.Kidd just spurned them for NY. Now they get to return to the favor and steal Lin from NY with a ton of money available and pretty much get that Nash/Dirk type of combo going again. Not a Dallas fan, but Lin/Dirk would make much better combo than Lin/Mello

More-Than-Most
He is being smart...He has the asian market so he does have leverage. Someone will be stupid enough to bite

C-Wick925
07-05-2012, 06:20 PM
If i sucked at ball and people were offering me multi million contracts id want as much as poss.. He knows he aint never getting another contract after this..

IMO guy had a fluke cpl weeks/month

keetyweedy
07-05-2012, 06:20 PM
31 mil is too much for Lin. If that offer stands at that, it's more of a gesture for giving a spark to an otherwise disappointing season for the Knicks. If the Knicks sign him for 40 mil they are insane. Not a bad idea to listen to offers, but Lin should've been a lock to re sign with the Knicks - AND - at a reasonable price. 3 years 20 mil or 4 years 26 mil. That is an investment. And he's asking for 50% above that for 30 games of play, coming off of an injury?

You do know the rockets gave asik 3 yr/24 mil and he avg 14 mpg 3.3 ppg & 4 rpg lol

torocan
07-05-2012, 06:22 PM
Lin wants what he is worth.... To many of you want him to take just what his on court ability is worth. But why?he has to consider his of the court worth as well. You can't say to a guy heyday want you to make me all this extra money, but I don't want to have to pay you extra for it.

This.

Lin brings more than his game to the table, and we all know it. He sells tickets, sells merchandise, drives ratings, and brings attention to the team.

Folks are acting like teams should ignore that aspect and only pay him for his play.

Real life doesn't work that way. I don't care if the guy in the next cubicle does the same amount of work that I do. I don't care if his quality of work is higher. I don't care if he's never late for work and I'm 10 minutes late every day.

If I make the company MORE money than that guy, then I sure as heck better get paid or I'll go somewhere that WILL pay me.

Lin makes the Team more money than comparable players, and teams are going to pay him for that. Like it, hate it, it's perfectly reasonable, and more importantly IT'S FAIR.

justinnum1
07-05-2012, 06:24 PM
Lmfao

bowdown27
07-05-2012, 06:24 PM
Why wouldn't he try to cash in ? He came Out of no where and should bank on it while he can. As a Knicks fan I'd like him back but I don't want him at a huge price.

Jroz
07-05-2012, 06:25 PM
Knicks are matching regardless...4 years 40mil is the most it can technicall go..5-5-15-15..yikes..Linsane money for a guy that better be Lincredible all year

jayjay33
07-05-2012, 06:25 PM
lin wants what he is worth.... To many of you want him to take just what his on court ability is worth. But why?he has to consider his of the court worth as well. You can't say to a guy heyday want you to make me all this extra money, but i don't want to have to pay you extra for it.

this.

Lin brings more than his game to the table, and we all know it. He sells tickets, sells merchandise, drives ratings, and brings attention to the team.

Folks are acting like teams should ignore that aspect and only pay him for his play.

Real life doesn't work that way. I don't care if the guy in the next cubicle does the same amount of work that i do. I don't care if his quality of work is higher. I don't care if he's never late for work and i'm 10 minutes late every day.

If i make the company more money than that guy, then i sure as heck better get paid or i'll go somewhere that will pay me.

Lin makes the team more money than comparable players, and teams are going to pay him for that. Like it, hate it, it's perfectly reasonable, and more importantly it's fair.

100!

jayjay33
07-05-2012, 06:28 PM
Knicks are matching regardless...4 years 40mil is the most it can technicall go..5-5-15-15..yikes..Linsane money for a guy that better be Lincredible all year

If he is even decent, he will end up saving the knicks money, by bringing in a lot more than he is taking out.

trini_knickfan
07-05-2012, 06:31 PM
Again i think people forget that Dolan is the owner. Probably the dumbest one with a big pocket. Linsanity = $$$ for Dolan

SportsNY
07-05-2012, 06:32 PM
This guy isn't worth a lot of money yet.

jam
07-05-2012, 06:33 PM
J Lin is easily one of the top 5 most marketable guys in the league, therefore, it is reasonable to assume/safe to say that J Lin will generate more revenue for a ball club (ticket sales, merch. sales, tv revenues, local sponsors, etc.) than, say, Asik or Landry Fields. Or Dragic.

Deemerc
07-05-2012, 06:36 PM
Lin is goin to be chilLIN

jayjay33
07-05-2012, 06:36 PM
Didn't MSG stock go up like 10% because of him?

Cracka2HI!
07-05-2012, 06:41 PM
I don't think the Knicks should overpay Lin. With Kidd in the fold it makes more sense to, but I don't think he's worth half what he's getting on the court. His value is more off the court. The Knicks have a chance to add a few parts or atleast some assets with the offers Fields and Lin got. Houston has to get Lin with the way their offseason has gone. They would probably be willing to give him more money. If I'm the Knicks I try to pick Courtney Lee in a S & T. I would also try to get one of the many young PF's Houston has stockpiled. I'd try to get James Johnson or Sonny Weems from Toronto for Fields. They would also have a trade exemption or 2 as well. I think the Knicks would be better off adding 3-4 parts than overpaying for Lin and Fields.

goose14741
07-05-2012, 06:43 PM
he wouldnt be getting paid like this if other teams had brains. all they are is raising the price to the knicks. yea good strategy but what if the knicks decline? then your paying lin 30 mil in his final 2 years which is absolutely ridiculous. yes he is gunna b great but nobody deserves that much on their first guaranteed contract.

elledaddy
07-05-2012, 06:45 PM
Why do ppl keep repeating the same BS. Luxury tax this and Poison pill that. The New York Knicks made more money than EVERY other team in the NBA last yr according to Forbes and are 5th over the last 5 yrs despite not being a winning team during that time. They did 1st last year in a short season and Lin not being who he was at the start. A whole season of Lin will equal crazy MONEY if he's just repeat what he has already done. The luxury tax isn't ideal but it doesn't kill you as long as you're MAKING MONEY. Dolan will be fine with watever happens with Lin contract. Why are we as FANS worring about other ppl pockets? Dolan gonna get his money so what's wrong if Lin does as well?

Punk
07-05-2012, 06:48 PM
He's being VERY smart. He sees Dallas without a PG, he sees Houston without a PG, he sees NY without a PG and he is using that to get a good contract.

He was nearly out of the league and making 750k. I don't blame looking for a 40 million deal.

smood999
07-05-2012, 06:51 PM
He's going to put Knicks in Luxury tax hell

for one seaon (yr 3)...yes

smood999
07-05-2012, 06:53 PM
if no one signs him to a $40 mil offer sheet, he won't get it...his options will then be to resign with the Knicks at 5/20, accept the qualifying offer or go overseas....he's not unrestricted and the only way Knicks can sign him for $40 mil is if another team does first...

Rocketsfan85
07-05-2012, 06:54 PM
Ppl don't understand the purpose of a backloaded contract. The reason the rockets are offering that is cuz they wanna see how the players produce the first few years of there contract so when it comes to the big money years if there not producing they trade them or don't pick up the contract that's why they offer the backloaded contracts

justinnum1
07-05-2012, 06:55 PM
Give him the max

smood999
07-05-2012, 06:55 PM
TOR just got Lowry so what other team is going to give hime $40 mil and risk the Knicks not matching? Or tie that much money up into Lin while the Knicks match and the team may miss out on another option while waiting..

smood999
07-05-2012, 06:56 PM
Ppl don't understand the purpose of a backloaded contract. The reason the rockets are offering that is cuz they wanna see how the players produce the first few years of there contract so when it comes to the big money years if there not producing they trade them or don't pick up the contract that's why they offer the backloaded contracts

I think it's more to make a team think twice about matching...there weren't much of these backloaded contracts until this offseason which is the first of the new CBA...

GrumpyOldMan
07-05-2012, 06:57 PM
If Lin signs a contract with a $15million contract in year 3 and the Knicks match they will have $80million committed to 5 players that year. They better make sure he is what they think he is or their cash cow will become their white elephant.

KniCks4LiFe
07-05-2012, 07:00 PM
this is why you go to Harvard.

jason17
07-05-2012, 07:04 PM

Because he is very smart . Nash-Kidd-Irving- are gone now so what do the mavs and other PG needed teams can do? I bet you he'll get the money or close to it.

Cfrey
07-05-2012, 07:04 PM
He should get a 40 year deal with the amount of revenue he brings in alone for the knicks organization

popo85
07-05-2012, 07:08 PM
He's going to make back all that money and more. Whatever team signs him will have the Asian market.

True.

mjt20mik
07-05-2012, 07:10 PM
I don't think NY will match since they got Kidd. I think it's going to be a toss up between Dallas and Houston that get Lin.

IversonIsKrazy
07-05-2012, 07:14 PM
Honestly, as a business stand point, he is one of the most profitable players in the league. I live in Richmond, which is a city by Vancouver, and people have Lin t-shirts. He was top 10 in jersey sales last year, the agent knows that although as a player Lin isnt worth more than $7m/yr, as a business stand point, he can be worth close to $13m/yr.

dsonLAL24
07-05-2012, 07:20 PM
Good for him!

justjames
07-05-2012, 07:20 PM
Plan F for Dallas. Linsanity.

torocan
07-05-2012, 07:21 PM
I don't think the Knicks should overpay Lin. With Kidd in the fold it makes more sense to, but I don't think he's worth half what he's getting on the court. His value is more off the court. The Knicks have a chance to add a few parts or atleast some assets with the offers Fields and Lin got. Houston has to get Lin with the way their offseason has gone. They would probably be willing to give him more money. If I'm the Knicks I try to pick Courtney Lee in a S & T. I would also try to get one of the many young PF's Houston has stockpiled. I'd try to get James Johnson or Sonny Weems from Toronto for Fields. They would also have a trade exemption or 2 as well. I think the Knicks would be better off adding 3-4 parts than overpaying for Lin and Fields.

Except that's dead wrong.

BEFORE signing Lin, they're over the Salary Cap. Prior to the BIRD ruling, they would have to use the FULL MLE to retain him.

Even if Lin got paid ZERO dollars, and Fields got paid ZERO dollars, it would not add a SINGLE DOLLAR in terms of what the Knicks can spend to get another player.

Year 1/2 - $5M (over the Cap, can STILL only use the Mini-MLE)
Year 3 - WAY over the cap, the only impact is the Luxury Tax, IE, Dolan's checkbook
Year 4 - Expiring Contract with high trade value

Lin taking ANY pay cut does not impact the team's flexibility in ANY way. All it does is reduce the Dollars that Dolan takes home.

The Knicks pre-existing existing salary commitments are $56.25M, before Kidd, Lin or Fields are even offered a QO. Toss in Kidd and you're over the CAP, and that's BEFORE filling out the bench, OR signing Lin/Fields.

The only one that gets hurt by Lin getting more Money is Dolan... and Dolan made millions upon millions last year off Lin while he was getting paid $700k.

Lin got cut by 2 teams, hit the D-League 3x, was only played out of Desperation, was STILL due to be cut AGAIN the following Friday, was about to be benched by the Knicks and see half his friends on the bench traded away in the Nash trade, wasn't even given an OFFER and told to go Shopping on the *CHANCE* that Grunwald could pay a few less dollars, just saw his Best Friend Fields hung out to Dry in FA, all while everyone around him made Millions upon Millions while he made peanuts.

If I were Lin, and it didn't hurt the Team, I'd go for the most money and longest contract I could get.

Screw the Owners. They're Billionaires. They can afford to pony up a few bucks.

More power to him.

elledaddy
07-05-2012, 07:24 PM

No they are not. They are back loading contract to restricted FAs on teams up against the cap so a team would have to decide if they want to go over the tax in years 3 and 4. You can't effectively poison pill a team with tons of cap space like say tor or hell Hou. If you statement held true, you would give a player a small amount of money then if he fails early on and the money doubles or triples then you would just trade them. Only problem is that other teams also see that they performed horribly so why would that team then trade for the player knowing that the player is regressing while their contract is going up?

Pistol_Pete
07-05-2012, 08:03 PM
Like others have said, this is about what Lin brings in marketing and sales, not on the court. And with the Rockets, who already had Yao, they know how big he could be. He's likely going to be attractive trade bait in the final year of his contract.

The problems is, this is going to hurt whoever signs him. They're signing him not to win games, but to bring in money. Sure, it's a business and that's what it's about, but when you start sacrificing winning for money, what's the point?

justinnum1
07-05-2012, 08:06 PM
lins true value is off the court, not on it. dolan understands this