PDA

View Full Version : The Lakers and the Luxury Tax

waveycrockett
07-05-2012, 03:50 PM
That being said, if anything the Lakers will need to shed future salary in order to avoid a potentially mammoth luxury tax bill next season, the first of a drastically more punitive tax system. With the addition of Nash and various cap holds, the Lakers are projected to be in the neighborhood of $20 million over the tax line next season -- which under the new rules would cost them a whopping $44 million in tax payments. In addition, for every $1 million in excess of $20 million above the tax threshold, the Lakers would have to pay $3.75 million.

Thats $44 Million PLUS 3.75Million for every 1 Million over they are. Either they plan on pulling a Joe Johnson on Gasol next offseason or will let Bynum Walk.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/ken-berger/19506717/sources-magic-nets-still-plugging-away-on-dwight-howard-trade

Vinylman
07-05-2012, 03:56 PM
kewl story

ever hear of the amnesty clause?

waveycrockett
07-05-2012, 03:57 PM
kewl story

ever hear of the amnesty clause?

You guys are amnestying Kobe Bryant?

fadedmario
07-05-2012, 04:01 PM
Multiple teams in the NBA are going to have this problem soon.

That's why it's great were going to have 30 million in cap space in 2013. Can't believe I'm saying this - but good job Joe D!

shep33
07-05-2012, 04:01 PM
You know what I love about the Nash trade?

Everything becomes short-term for the Lakers. Yeah, they'll pay extra these next two years, but Nash will be the only player under contract in 2014-2015, and that'll be his last year.

Might as well spend these two years, and I'm sure they'll amnesty someone eventually

Lakers + Giants
07-05-2012, 04:02 PM
TWC deal really helps us out here :nod:

GrumpyOldMan
07-05-2012, 04:05 PM
question here....Where does the money that is fined for going over the cap go? Revenue sharing?

shep33
07-05-2012, 04:10 PM
question here....Where does the money that is fined for going over the cap go? Revenue sharing?

The WNBA

Bruno
07-05-2012, 04:26 PM
whats total BS about the new compounded luxury tax is this $44 million dollars in tax comes on top of an already mammoth league revenue sharing figure. LAL has to give tens of millions every year to the league to keep all these other teams afloat, THEN they have to pay $44 million in compounded luxury tax. am i wrong?

if it weren't for the new time warner deal, LAL would be buried buy the new CBA. but of corse, that's how the rest of the league wants it. ultimately, nobody can compete with the lakers year in and year out on an unregulated playing field (obviously). When the old man dies, the estate tax will keep the Lakers very conservative financially for years. my guess, strategically, in order to convince the rest of the league to not bend them over as far in the next CBA. i'd be surprised if the doctor is still alive by then; if he's dead the estate will already be plunged by the government.

Vinylman
07-05-2012, 04:29 PM
LMFAO

I knew this was wrong but didn't really care...

this is why bloggers are ****ing idiots

the LT next year is $ for $

the LT doesn't go to the scaled version he used until 2013/2014

Lakers luxury tax bill COULD BE $20 million next year (which is below what their total payroll / LT was in 2010).

It is conceivable that the scale will kick in and impact the Lakers for one year in 2013/2014 but they still can amnesty MWP to save a TON...

In addition if you are $1 under $20 million over the LT the 2013/2014 LT bill would be $36.25 not $44 million as he stated

In 2014/2015 Lakers are out of LT territory...

NICE TRY HATERS... SUCK IT

waveycrockett
07-05-2012, 04:33 PM
LMFAO

Lakers luxury tax bill COULD BE $20 million next year (which is below what their total payroll / LT was in 2010).

It is conceivable that the scale will kick in and impact the Lakers for one year in 2013/2014 but they still can amnesty MWP to save a TON...

In addition if you are $1 under $20 million over the LT the 2013/2014 LT bill would be $36.25 not $44 million as he stated

NICE TRY HATERS... SUCK IT

Who to trust.... Random Poster on PSD or Ken Berger from CBS? Hmmm............

Gritz
07-05-2012, 04:33 PM
When you coming out with your prison album Max?

Vinylman
07-05-2012, 04:36 PM
Who to trust.... Random Poster on PSD or Ken Berger from CBS? Hmmm............

i trust larry coon...

2nd major error by ken berger in a week..

oh well, you are a typical troll anyway... not gonna waste my time on a fan of a **** organization

justjames
07-05-2012, 04:42 PM
Ken Berger is a small market apologist. When it comes to anything he says in this regard, I would trust him as far as I could throw him.

zB_#85
07-05-2012, 04:45 PM
I guess the Nets Czechoslovakian gazillionaire isn't the only one who doesn't give a fug about the luxury tax.

Dolla dolla bills yall :D

MickeyMgl
07-05-2012, 04:46 PM

Aren't they, in fact, all the way under the cap that year?

Gibby23
07-05-2012, 04:48 PM
whats total BS about the new compounded luxury tax is this $44 million dollars in tax comes on top of an already mammoth league revenue sharing figure. LAL has to give tens of millions every year to the league to keep all these other teams afloat, THEN they have to pay $44 million in compounded luxury tax. am i wrong?

if it weren't for the new time warner deal, LAL would be buried buy the new CBA. but of corse, that's how the rest of the league wants it. ultimately, nobody can compete with the lakers year in and year out on an unregulated playing field (obviously). When the old man dies, the estate tax will keep the Lakers very conservative financially for years. my guess, strategically, in order to convince the rest of the league to not bend them over as far in the next CBA. i'd be surprised if the doctor is still alive by then; if he's dead the estate will already be plunged by the government.

It looks like the Dr has that covered and has been prepaying the tax since 2009. Here is the piece from 2009:

Despite all of his preparation, there is one thing papa Buss admits could derail the ownership plan: the inheritance tax: "It's a severe economic issue for me. It's an ongoing one, and I'm addressing it as best I can. I'm prepaying the taxes, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I live long enough to accomplish the whole thing." Could it force a sale? "It could," he says. "There are rules and regulations, but we're getting to a point where I'm pretty sure my family can hold on to the team."

http://www.latimesmagazine.com/2009/05/jerry-buss-family-lakers.html

Vinylman
07-05-2012, 04:52 PM
Aren't they, in fact, all the way under the cap that year?

as of now only nash and an extend bynum or howard would be under contract

Showtime Steve
07-05-2012, 04:53 PM
The heat and possibly the nets will have this problem worse than we will. But a russian super billionaire doesnt really mind.

fishedz
07-05-2012, 05:00 PM
Thats $44 Million PLUS 3.75Million for every 1 Million over they are. Either they plan on pulling a Joe Johnson on Gasol next offseason or will let Bynum Walk.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/ken-berger/19506717/sources-magic-nets-still-plugging-away-on-dwight-howard-trade

Or...you just run the best franchise in the game and that $$$ don't matter. Buss is a genius, and has run the best franchis in the game the last 3 decades...and soon to be 4. You can't argue with that front office. The market will pay for that easy...

-Kobe24-TJ19-
07-06-2012, 05:18 AM
so wrong Berger

CavsYanksDuke
07-06-2012, 06:12 AM
so wrong Berger

Your sig is hilarious. What an insane post about Wade and basketball in general. Wow.

bholly
07-06-2012, 07:02 AM

Gee, wonder which it'll be. Seriously, a PSD anti-Laker campaign doesn't help the nets get Dwight. Take it easy, man,

You guys are amnestying Kobe Bryant?

They trade or amnesty Pau way before amnestying Kobe. You know that, don't be so disingenuous.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q22
"Starting in 2012-13, 50% of the tax revenue will be used as a funding source for the revenue sharing program, and the remaining 50% will be distributed to non-taxpaying teams in equal shares."

LMFAO

It's July now, which means we're in the 2012/13 season. So when Berger says 'next season' he means 2013/2014. He's saying the potential 2013/2014 tax bill will be super high, and Wavey is trying to imply that means they might let Bynum walk before that season so they don't have to pay it. Berger is right, but Wavey's almost certainly wrong and everyone knows it, so you don't need to get so worked up.

Vinylman
07-06-2012, 08:53 AM
It's July now, which means we're in the 2012/13 season. So when Berger says 'next season' he means 2013/2014. He's saying the potential 2013/2014 tax bill will be super high

OMFG... who are you? ken Berger?

He is CLEARLY TALKING ABOUT this coming season because he talks about the CURRENT Payroll numbers and CAP HOLDS...

Ignorance must be bliss... :facepalm:

LA_Raiders
07-06-2012, 10:21 AM
Dont worry about it...