PDA

View Full Version : Clippers agree to terms with Jamal Crawford and Chauncey Billups

airforceones25
07-05-2012, 01:55 PM
per latimes.com

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-clippers-guards-20120705,0,1951283.story

joeystats
07-05-2012, 01:55 PM
Marc Stein @ESPNSteinLine
Reply Retweet Favorite ·More
RT @BA_Turner: Clippers get Jamal Crawford, Chauncey Billups to agree to deals, cancels visit with Ray Allen

https://twitter.com/#!/ESPNSteinLine

ChiSox219
07-05-2012, 01:56 PM
Does that mean Nick Young is out?

airforceones25
07-05-2012, 01:58 PM
My guess is yes but you never know... Reports are Boston is going to make a run at Young because it's likely Allen to Miami.

Clippers cancel visit with Allen as well.

Chacarron
Awesome.

Hoopin&Swoopin
Looks like Ray Allen will be taking his talents to South Beach.

joeystats
07-05-2012, 01:59 PM
Billups gets 1 yr deal, messed up canceling on Ray Allen lol

airforceones25
07-05-2012, 01:59 PM
Crawford 3yr/MLE

xxplayerxx23
07-05-2012, 02:00 PM
Nick young and allen arent going there now. Nice pickups. I love billups

LakeShowRaiders
Bad move. Billups tore his achellies. That is tough to recover from

Lakers4ItAll
Crawford for so cheap?

Chacarron
07-05-2012, 02:01 PM
Signing Billups was priority number one, I'm glad the Clipps were able to bring him back.

JNA17
07-05-2012, 02:02 PM
lol at canceling Ray Allen's visit. He could still come to LA though, just not for the Clippers. :D

airforceones25
07-05-2012, 02:02 PM
CP3/Bledsoe
Billups/Crawford/Leslie
Butler/???
Griffin/Odom/Thompkins
Jordan/???

Few more holes but Clippers are targeting 7 footer Ryan Hollins to backup DJ. Should be a solid rotation.

joeystats
07-05-2012, 02:04 PM
Ya come to Lakerland Ray

richiesaurus310
07-05-2012, 02:05 PM
Solid

ChiSox219
07-05-2012, 02:08 PM
Wish the Clippers would've kept Young over JC, but maybe he's asking for more than MLE.

lakersiznumber1
07-05-2012, 02:08 PM
good pick up okc is in trouble if they dont do something with both la teams on the rise:clap:

UnWantedTheory
07-05-2012, 02:12 PM
good pick up okc is in trouble if they dont do something with both la teams on the rise:clap:

Try not to forget who is chasing who broski.

ChiSox219
07-05-2012, 02:13 PM
CP3/Bledsoe
Billups/Crawford/Leslie
Butler/???
Griffin/Odom/Thompkins
Jordan/???

Few more holes but Clippers are targeting 7 footer Ryan Hollins to backup DJ. Should be a solid rotation.

I like Odom to get some time at Center in certain situations, especially if the alternative is Hollins

joeystats
07-05-2012, 02:16 PM
Marc J. Spears @SpearsNBAYahoo
Reply Retweet Favorite ·More
Guard Jamal Crawford's deal done and he will get a four-year, $25 million deal (with bonuses) from Clippers, sources told Yahoo!

airforceones25
07-05-2012, 02:17 PM
CP3 & JC breaking ankles for days.

J4KOP99
07-05-2012, 02:22 PM
Crawford isn't great off the ball though

TheNumber37
07-05-2012, 02:23 PM
PLease don't go to Miami, Ray. Just return to Boston and make it work.

kylem4711
07-05-2012, 02:24 PM
Geesh, seeing 4 year 25 mill. Too much for my liking

DoMeFavors
07-05-2012, 02:25 PM
Nick young too?

dnewguy
07-05-2012, 02:30 PM
Is it safe to say Chris Broussard's "sources" will start making Allen to Heat rumors.

zB_#85
07-05-2012, 02:33 PM
nice little squad they have there

naps
07-05-2012, 02:40 PM
Awesome news for the South Beach #HeatNationStandUp

justinnum1
07-05-2012, 02:41 PM
You guys hear that? That's ray Allen falling into the laps of Miami heat fans:)

airforceones25
07-05-2012, 02:45 PM
Geesh, seeing 4 year 25 mill. Too much for my liking

There are conflicting reports..

latimes & cbssports - 3 years 15.7mil
broussard - 4 years 21mil up to 25 based on incentives.

as far as Billups its a 1 year incentive based deal worth up to 4.3mil

Chronz
07-05-2012, 02:56 PM
We cancelled on Ray Allen to overpay a piece that may not fit? WTF man

fadedmario
07-05-2012, 02:58 PM
Love Chauncey - nice for the Clippers.

Chronz
07-05-2012, 02:58 PM
Does that mean Nick Young is out?

Prolly. which sucks because it seemed like he was finally getting comfortable with us.

He was a chucker but he was the kind I liked, Jamal Crawford is also a chucker but the kind that isnt an off the ball scorer, or at least hasnt been for years.

shep33
07-05-2012, 03:01 PM
Honestly don't like this for that kind of money. But CP3 can make people great and rejuvenate careers.

airforceones25
07-05-2012, 03:02 PM
We cancelled on Ray Allen to overpay a piece that may not fit? WTF man

It came down to wether or not you want Billups or Allen. There is no way you can have both and with CP3 voicing his return to Billups it's hard to offer Ray Allen a legitimate deal. Both are going to want to start and having Crawford allows them to do that.

Plus it's pretty obvious that Ray Allen's first choice is Miami. This was the cherry on top. He wasn't going to come here to backup Billups.

airforceones25
07-05-2012, 03:04 PM
I still don't understand everyones fascination with Nick Young either. Way overrated for what he brings.

IIISSKiLL
07-05-2012, 03:08 PM
So Boston picked up Terry, and L.A. picked up Crawford... So it's between Miami and Griz now ?? I'm down with that !

kylem4711
07-05-2012, 03:09 PM
I still don't understand everyones fascination with Nick Young either. Way overrated for what he brings.
Some say the same about crawford. Only nick young would might take a lot less for 4 years

lavilevi23
07-05-2012, 03:10 PM
South Beach Open Your Legs!!!!!

airforceones25
07-05-2012, 03:12 PM
Some say the same about crawford. Only nick young would might take a lot less for 4 years

I'll take my chances with a guy who can break someone down off the dribble and get to the hoop over a guy who hovers around 23 feet only to hold the ball while the clock counts down and chucks a contested shot like he's Kobe Bryant. Lol

Chronz
07-05-2012, 03:20 PM
It came down to wether or not you want Billups or Allen. There is no way you can have both and with CP3 voicing his return to Billups it's hard to offer Ray Allen a legitimate deal. Both are going to want to start and having Crawford allows them to do that.

Plus it's pretty obvious that Ray Allen's first choice is Miami. This was the cherry on top. He wasn't going to come here to backup Billups.

Why would it come down to that? And CP3 was recruiting Ray too, I dont think he was calling up Jamal Crawford.

Are you saying Chauncey wasnt willing to play behind Ray and that Crawford doesnt care about starting? If so that makes this move somewhat logical.

TheRunKiller
07-05-2012, 03:22 PM
They needed to another scorer to cover up Chris Pauls weak offensive game

Chronz
07-05-2012, 03:24 PM
I'll take my chances with a guy who can break someone down off the dribble and get to the hoop over a guy who hovers around 23 feet only to hold the ball while the clock counts down and chucks a contested shot like he's Kobe Bryant. Lol

I dont see him do that. In fact Ive seen Kashmir compare Jamal to Kobe in terms of shot selection and skillset so it seems more likely that complaint rings true for him than a guy who looks to score off the ball.

And I hope you realize Young was younger and has a chance to improve and provide a skillset we are lacking, whereas Jamal is on the decline and more reliant on Iso's and PnR, both areas which have seen the biggest declines the last 3 years.

phoenix_bladen
07-05-2012, 03:25 PM
good for the clippers

but would crawford be an upgrade over nick young ? he's older

airforceones25
07-05-2012, 03:26 PM
Why would it come down to that? And CP3 was recruiting Ray too, I dont think he was calling up Jamal Crawford.

Are you saying Chauncey wasnt willing to play behind Ray and that Crawford doesnt care about starting? If so that makes this move somewhat logical.

Yes this is exactly what i'm saying. Chauncey wants to play and the only thing intriguing to Ray Allen would be starting for the Clippers. If Ray is going to come off the bench he's going to do it in Miami where quite frankly it makes most sense ring chasing.

Crawford will not start. He has no problems being a 6th man. He was the 2010 6th man of the year and he understands what his role is to this team. I would have liked Allen but unfortunately it wasn't going to happen if we were to retain Billups.

IversonIsKrazy
07-05-2012, 03:28 PM
I believe it's 3yrs/$15.7m. Finally, some signing that not only make sense, but aren't overpaid. So Ray, Roy, OJ, Lee & now Young are still the SG's left to take.

Cano4prez
07-05-2012, 03:37 PM

not sure if srs

Cracka2HI!
07-05-2012, 03:45 PM
I sure hope the reports of a 3 year deal are true. 4 years is too long. I think I would have preferred Allen over Crawford, but at 3 years I don't hate the Crawford signing. If anything he replaces what Mo Williams gave us and is 5 inches taller. He could even be an upgrade over Mo. Getting a healthy guard in here who is under 36 makes sense. Billups coming back was a no brainer. Made the most sense for him and the team. Hopefully he gets healthy and plays at the same level he did last year. With Paul/Bledsoe/Billups/Crawford the Clippers have one of the best guard rotations in the league and they are all completely different players.

I don't think this puts us out of the Nick Young sweepstakes. We can still offer him $4.4 million. If he gets a bigger offer than that he will surely leave, but I'm not sure he will. I think we will see him on the market for a while and he may eventually have to take the Clippers offer. The move I don't like is trading Reggie Evans to New Jersey. Should have kept him for that price. If we would have kept Reggie and find a way to keep Nick Young and add Ryan Hollins the roster would be pretty much complete.

shep33
07-05-2012, 04:03 PM
I think Young would've been better, no? Whatever, I like Crawford, hope he gets back on track, these last couple years have seen his production and efficiency slip

naps
07-05-2012, 04:07 PM

CP3 has much more effective offensive game than you lover boy Rose.

Clippersfan86
07-05-2012, 04:08 PM
Some things for the dramatic, misinformed and upset people.

1. CP3 was at the meeting with Crawford pushing for him to sign. To suggest he's not behind the signing is completely bogus and no it won't make him upset.

2. Lee was the best option but his agent made it clear he wants more money than MLE and that's why there has been zero buzz about anything on his end the last 2 days.

3. Ray Allen must have REALLY given a strong indication he was going to the Heat for the Clippers to make these moves today and cancel with Ray at the same time. I'd be willing to bet that Clippers front office was told Ray is out. So essentially Clippers put an honest effort out there and came away with option C which is still an upgrade.

4. It's a 3 year deal with a TEAM 4th year option for those hearing conflicting reports.

5. Crawford SHOULD have a strong season with the doubles CP3+Griffin will get and CP3 creating for him. I'm predicting 15 ppg on 43 percent from field, 38 percent from deep and yes I'm aware that's a huge leap in efficiency.

6. People keep talking about the defense getting worse but a huge reason of why the Clippers perimeter defense sucked was no time to gel and build chemistry which is HUGE on the defensive end. You can have 5 average individual players but have a good TEAM defense. It's all about communication and cohesiveness. Mo Williams KILLED the Clippers defensively at the 2 and simply adding a marginally better defender who is 5 inches taller is going to be a big boost from the bench. Bledsoe is also going to be a much bigger rotation player this year so defense will get a huge boost there as well.

7. First day of free agency it was reported Young wanted more than the max 4.3 mill Clippers could offer so that's why he didn't return and isn't returning. Dude is chasing the money.

apet8945
07-05-2012, 04:21 PM
I sure hope the reports of a 3 year deal are true. 4 years is too long. I think I would have preferred Allen over Crawford, but at 3 years I don't hate the Crawford signing. If anything he replaces what Mo Williams gave us and is 5 inches taller. He could even be an upgrade over Mo. Getting a healthy guard in here who is under 36 makes sense. Billups coming back was a no brainer. Made the most sense for him and the team. Hopefully he gets healthy and plays at the same level he did last year. With Paul/Bledsoe/Billups/Crawford the Clippers have one of the best guard rotations in the league and they are all completely different players.

I don't think this puts us out of the Nick Young sweepstakes. We can still offer him $4.4 million. If he gets a bigger offer than that he will surely leave, but I'm not sure he will. I think we will see him on the market for a while and he may eventually have to take the Clippers offer. The move I don't like is trading Reggie Evans to New Jersey. Should have kept him for that price. If we would have kept Reggie and find a way to keep Nick Young and add Ryan Hollins the roster would be pretty much complete.

The Clippers are pretty much out of the Nick Young sweepstakes my friend. If Young was willing to sign for 4.4 million, then there was no reason for the Clippers to sign Crawford, let alone sign him so early. They're both very similar players while one is 32 and the other 27. If there was even a hint that the younger player would sign for less money, the Clippers would be all over it. He wants more money than they can offer, plain and simple, and the Clippers apparently didn't feel they had time to waste and end up potentially losing out on everyone, so they went with Crawford.

Now, I think the Clippers should pitch hard to get Kenyon Martin back on the team. With two glaring holes in the backup SF and backup C spots and only the BAE exception, the Clippers need to get back one of their players from last year who's bird rights they own. Unless of course, they want Ryan Gomes to be the primary backup to Butler.

Nick Young's out so that leaves Foye or Martin. Martin is the obvious choice. And if we were to sign him, that leaves a backup SF we can sign with the BAE and means that Ryan Gomes won't be our backup SF.

airforceones25
07-05-2012, 06:51 PM
Ray Allen's ankles must have never healed. Lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whKAx7hZ1Fw

Cracka2HI!
07-05-2012, 07:04 PM
^^ It's not an either or situation with Crawford and Young tho. We can still make Nick Young a $4.4 million offer and just because he wants more money than that doesn't mean he will get it. If we aren't able to keep him we have to find someone to back up and maybe even replace Butler. I don't Martin coming back is an option. We can only offer $3 million and while he may not get more than that, I don't see him coming back for that kind of money. I've always thought we would bring Foye back just because we don't have many resources to sign players and are now down the BAE. Right now we really haven't improved the team. We are about the same in the back court and front court, but have a little less depth. We still need to make about 3 moves.

Vinylman
07-05-2012, 07:04 PM
How much is that crawford deal? I have seen multiple reports... the lower deal looks good which makes me think it is wrong...

anyone know

Cracka2HI!
07-05-2012, 08:36 PM
It looks like the 4th year is a team option, so essentially both reports are correct.

kylem4711
07-05-2012, 09:20 PM
eric pincus just said that until the deal is submitted to the league and it is official, we wont know if the 4th year is an option or not

Cracka2HI!
07-06-2012, 12:54 AM
These are 2 fairly big signings and they are completely under the radar. I like that! It looks like the Clippers have managed to get out of the spotlight, I don't think they are any worse than last year.

Losoway
07-06-2012, 01:01 AM
bad move with billups . he is coming off a bad injury

but chris paul wanted him to play with him so i respect the decision

llemon
07-06-2012, 01:04 AM
Signing Billups was priority number one, I'm glad the Clipps were able to bring him back.

You're not expecting another injury?

airforceones25
07-06-2012, 01:18 AM
Here's a great interview with Chauncey about his health and how his injury was a blessing in disguise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--LA-Z1dqlM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Chronz
07-06-2012, 04:45 AM
Does anyone have a link that states Billups wouldnt be willing to come off the bench behind Ray Allen? I just find it odd that CP3 would be trying to recruit Ray AND Billups if they werent down to share the minutes, especially with Billups coming back from a serious injury.

Instead of taking a chance on Ray we are taking a chance on both Billups and Crawford. Thats tough

TheRunKiller
07-06-2012, 03:26 PM
CP3 has much more effective offensive game than you lover boy Rose.

true but he can't take over a game offensively like rose can or Clippers wouldnt have gotten swept by SA