PDA

View Full Version : Will NY always be considered the "Mecca of Basketball"

310Casper
07-05-2012, 01:36 PM
A franchise with a lot of history in a big market. Bright colors, bright lights, big names in the past, but the truth is that they havent won a championship in 4 decades now, 1973 was the last one, Nixon was president, Watergate happened, US Troops were withdrawn from Vietnam. Since then we went through the 70's disco era, the 80's mtv and bright colors era, the 90's technology era, the 2000's dot com era....now in the 2010's social media and global era and still no sign of greatness for the franchise in sight.

At what point will the title of "Mecca of basketball" be socially stripped from them and given to a different team/market?

For those of you anti-knicks people, please do not pollute this thread with your nonsense. This isnt meant to be a bash knicks thread, so please do not turn it into that. Stick to real discussion: The title of "Mecca of basketball" being stripped after what amount of years without a championship. I almost feel like its a title thats only sticking around since the NY media and fans themselves keep it alive.

zB_#85
07-05-2012, 01:42 PM
I think it depends on who you ask. I've never considered it the "Mecca" of basketball b/c I think the Boston Garden would be...

Some, however, will always consider it the Mecca though.

justjames
07-05-2012, 01:45 PM
New York can have that title. LA is the Jerusalem of basketball. Magic's career died for all your sins!

D-Leethal
07-05-2012, 01:47 PM
The Mecca of Basketball has nothing to do with the Knicks or MSG. MSG is the Worlds Most Famous Arena, New York City is the Mecca of Basketball. People get the two confused.

mark1125
07-05-2012, 01:48 PM
I don't think of them that way. I am sure Knick fans do just as Celtics fans think they are, Bulls fans, Laker fans, etc.

The landscape of the game has changed so dramatically, that I don't think you will ever hear tyhat type of talk for any franchise/city.

KniCks4LiFe
07-05-2012, 01:49 PM
We are the world's most famous arena. It's just under it's worse management.

IndyRealist
07-05-2012, 01:53 PM
I think the "Mecca of basketball" has a lot to do with the streetball scene in New York more than it has to do with the Knicks, or MSG. Pro-basketball wise, it's Boston or LA.

allday823
07-05-2012, 01:57 PM
New york being the mecca of basketball has very little to do with madison square garden and the knicks, it has more to do with the city itself. On every corner is a basketball court, famous parks like the rucker and the cage are famous in the street ball world. The chsaa catholic league is probably the toughest high school league in the country. 9/10 inner city kids are drawn to basketball at a young age. Its not just a game in new york, its part of our way of life and is adored. Legends have forever etched their names and legacies on new york courts, whether black top or hardwood.

Jroz
07-05-2012, 01:59 PM
NY is the Mecca of Basketball as Metta practices World Peace with Hardens beard

D-Leethal
07-05-2012, 02:00 PM
New york being the mecca of basketball has very little to do with madison square garden and the knicks, it has more to do with the city itself. On every corner is a basketball court, famous parks like the rucker and the cage are famous in the street ball world. The chsaa catholic league is probably the toughest high school league in the country. 9/10 inner city kids are drawn to basketball at a young age. Its not just a game in new york, its part of our way of life and is adored. Legends have forever etched their names and legacies on new york courts, whether black top or hardwood.

MSG has also held the National Invitation Tournament (NIT) since the 30s, loooong before there was the NCAA 64 team tourny.

The point is, where most young kids around the country grow up playing baseball, football and the like as youngins, EVERYONE in NYC grows up with a basketball.

310Casper
07-05-2012, 02:04 PM

Interesting. Thanks for that!

NYKnicks4511
07-05-2012, 02:06 PM
The Mecca doesn't necessarily refer to the Garden. It's the city of NY itself, basketball breathes through the streets. More often than not, kids can't afford the gear for baseball, or hockey, or lacrosse, even football. But all you need to play basketball is a hoop, your boys, and a ball. The game has changed too many lives to count, kept a plethora of young kids off of drugs and out of gang life, and opened up more doors for them than they would have otherwise had access to. I myself don't consider playing for the Knicks in the Garden as 'The Mecca.' I think it's more about playing for the rabid fans who show out during consecutive 23-59 seasons and still sell the place out. When the Knicks were good in the late 90's early 00's, I'd say MSG was the place to be though.

JeffFrankGore
07-05-2012, 02:08 PM
I think the "Mecca of basketball" has a lot to do with the streetball scene in New York more than it has to do with the Knicks, or MSG. Pro-basketball wise, it's Boston or LA.

bingo. Its referring more to the new york culture of kids growing up, than the actual professional team(s). In this regard, no that title will not be stripped anytime soon.

NY_Heartbreak
07-05-2012, 02:16 PM
"Mecca of Basketball" refers to the culture and prominence of basketball in New York City. This includes schoolyards, playgrounds, apartment complexes. NYC has many famous basketball courts which are publically accessable and always have pick up games.

New York City will never be stripped of the title.

thekmp211
07-05-2012, 02:29 PM
I think it depends on who you ask. I've never considered it the "Mecca" of basketball b/c I think the Boston Garden would be...

this

The Mecca of Basketball has nothing to do with the Knicks or MSG. MSG is the Worlds Most Famous Arena, New York City is the Mecca of Basketball. People get the two confused.

...and this.

knickerbockerny
07-05-2012, 02:34 PM
What everyone else said. Truth be told, in New York City every 1 mile radius has atleast 3-5 neighborhood basketball courts.

NYSPORTSALLDAY
07-05-2012, 02:41 PM

This. You can see talent on many basketball courts throughout the entire city.

Kashmir13579
07-05-2012, 02:46 PM
The term Mecca doesn't refer to the Knicks you imbeciles. How many freaking times? This thread pops up every few months. I'm not even going to bother explaining this again.

NYY 26 to 7
07-05-2012, 02:47 PM
Read the book the city game from the 70s detailing the connection between the city and basketball. It explains streetball at Rucker and all the legends who have played there and all has kind of centered on MSG as the city's heart. As others have said this has nothing to do with the Knicks really although the teams of the early 70s helped that but it is more to do with the passion for basketball and how revered MSG is by players as the center of basketball in a city that breaths for the game. People too often confuse this with simply the Knicks and NBA its really not much to do with it.

Kashmir13579
07-05-2012, 02:47 PM

Indy has a strong argument for the Mecca as well my dude.

justinnum1
07-05-2012, 02:49 PM
There management is not committed to winning.

ink
07-05-2012, 02:49 PM

I've never thought of it as a mecca either, and never really understood that. Two NBA championships pales in comparison with the two major meccas of the sport.

javaid64
07-05-2012, 02:52 PM
There management is not committed to winning.

F-**in troll

Kashmir13579
07-05-2012, 02:53 PM
I've never thought of it as a mecca either, and never really understood that. Two NBA championships pales in comparison with the two major meccas of the sport.
You are just uninformed. Thats all.

ink
07-05-2012, 02:58 PM
You are just uninformed. Thats all.

Celtics' and Lakers' championships, all 33 of them, say otherwise lol, but I guess if we're counting community basketball courts it could be a mecca.

njnets
07-05-2012, 03:00 PM
when people say NY is the Mecca of basketball, they mean the city itself, not the knicks or MSG. many have touched upon it, but for any who do not know, there are MANY basketball courts in the city. some more famous than others. that is the reason it is called the Mecca of basketball.

playing bball is a way of life in the city. if you drive in the city, you cant avoid seeing a court. it comes up that often.

javaid64
07-05-2012, 03:12 PM
Celtics' and Lakers' championships, all 33 of them, say otherwise lol, but I guess if we're counting community basketball courts it could be a mecca.

definition of mecca - any place that many people visit or hope to visit

thus mecca of basketball would imply any place many people would hope to visit to play or watch basketball thus you get new york - mecca of basketball

logic

nycsports2
07-05-2012, 03:12 PM

this.. when i think of mecca i think of rucker

rickshaw
07-05-2012, 03:18 PM
If we use mecca as just the definition

mecca - A place that is regarded as the center of an activity or interest.

To my knowledge, basketball isn't bigger anywhere else with more people than in NY. So until that happens, no.

If we use it in the religious sense, it was the birthplace of Mohammed? NY is basically the birthplace of basketball, so then it can never be somewhere else.

YashBoone
07-05-2012, 03:23 PM
People call ny the Mecca of basketball, not the Knicks....
The city itself is flooded by great bball talent of all ages and a lot of passion.
Don't think so?
Then just come and hang out at the playgrounds around ny....

knicksfan42
07-05-2012, 03:30 PM
Answer to thread:

MSG has also held the National Invitation Tournament (NIT) since the 30s, loooong before there was the NCAA 64 team tourny.

The point is, where most young kids around the country grow up playing baseball, football and the like as youngins, EVERYONE in NYC grows up with a basketball.

numba1CHANGsta
07-05-2012, 03:34 PM
Lakers/Clippers>>>>>Knicks/Nets

jimm120
07-05-2012, 03:37 PM
A franchise with a lot of history in a big market. Bright colors, bright lights, big names in the past, but the truth is that they havent won a championship in 4 decades now, 1973 was the last one, Nixon was president, Watergate happened, US Troops were withdrawn from Vietnam. Since then we went through the 70's disco era, the 80's mtv and bright colors era, the 90's technology era, the 2000's dot com era....now in the 2010's social media and global era and still no sign of greatness for the franchise in sight.

At what point will the title of "Mecca of basketball" be socially stripped from them and given to a different team/market?

For those of you anti-knicks people, please do not pollute this thread with your nonsense. This isnt meant to be a bash knicks thread, so please do not turn it into that. Stick to real discussion: The title of "Mecca of basketball" being stripped after what amount of years without a championship. I almost feel like its a title thats only sticking around since the NY media and fans themselves keep it alive.

What are you talking about "no sign of greatness".???

The 90's Knicks made the finals TWICE....and remember, this was during the Jordan years which prevented TONS of Hall of Famers from getting rings...yet Knicks made it to the finals twice. Oh, and if Jordan wasn't around, you can guarantee at least 4 finals appearences and 1 championship.

So in your book, dominating the east throughout the 90's was NOT greatness....

And the 2010's "social media" era is at least starting out better than the 00's dot com era. the 2000's, they traded away their franchise and lost with high salaried players and didn't make the playoffs.

In the 2010's, they got back to WINNING RECORDS already after the disappointing 2000's and are positioning themselves to be great in 2012 to 2015. Hell, I'm sure we would have improved (position wise) from 2010 season this season is Dantoni was not at the helm since the start and if our entire backcourt (and Stat's hand, Chandler's flu, etc) wouldn't have gotten injured for the playoffs, I'm sure we wouldn't have had such a pathetic showing.

--23--
07-05-2012, 03:41 PM

^^^ he pretty much nailed it

D-Leethal
07-05-2012, 03:53 PM

No. You are still uninformed, thats all.

The basketball world is bigger than the NBA. The culture of basketball is more than the NBA and its not just 'community basketball courts'. If you don't understand that, your just hating or ignorant to the facts.

I think we have summed it up pretty nicely for you in a ton of posts in here, if you refuse to see it you can continue to be uninformed.

If you want to keep acting like we think we are the Mecca of the NBA, feel free but your just being ignorant. Mecca of the NBA is the Boston Garden, but people don't eat, sleep and breathe basketball in Boston like they do in NYC and the culture of basketball is not the same in Boston as NYC, or anywhere for that matter. Hence NYC being the Mecca.

ink
07-05-2012, 04:03 PM
No. You are still uninformed, thats all.

The basketball world is bigger than the NBA. The culture of basketball is more than the NBA and its not just 'community basketball courts'. If you don't understand that, your just hating or ignorant to the facts.

I think we have summed it up pretty nicely for you in a ton of posts in here, if you refuse to see it you can continue to be uninformed.

If you want to keep acting like we think we are the Mecca of the NBA, feel free but your just being ignorant. Mecca of the NBA is the Boston Garden, but people don't eat, sleep and breathe basketball in Boston like they do in NYC and the culture of basketball is not the same in Boston as NYC, or anywhere for that matter. Hence NYC being the Mecca.

Just joking man, relax. lol.

kingkenny01
07-05-2012, 04:08 PM
Chicago is the real mecca of basketball
in the nba bulls are dominant
top high school players always come out of Chicago definetly more than ny.
People in generally can ball in Chicago.
Debatably the most passion sports city in America
New york has it own bias that's why people think it is the Mecca but Chicago is the best
This is coming from a Milwaukeean we have deep hatred for Chicago

29$JerZ
07-05-2012, 04:08 PM
Just joking man, relax. lol.

That was An awful joke.

JonnyBrav000
07-05-2012, 04:16 PM
Rucker Park, Madison Square Garden, concrete parks all throughout the biggest city in the U.S.

Basketball is a game tailor made for a city like NY. The Knicks and MSG are not considered the Mecca of Basketball, NYC is, that title should and will not be striped. Now we have two NBA teams, Michael Jordan was born in Brooklyn, countless players were also born in this city and games at Rucker Park is something most pros want to do sometime in their careers. The Mecca is here, unfortunately the Knicks just haven't been successful but that doesn't change a thing, the interest level of basketball in this city is always sky high.

rwynyc
07-05-2012, 04:21 PM
I have lived in NY have my whole life. I have played ball my whole life and it certainly is not the mecca anymore. My idea of mecca was the over all vibe that you could walk into any park and get a game with talented players and multiple people waiting for next

. Don't get me wrong there are still parks where the talent is unreal but not like it used to be. A lot of parks are empty nowadays.

When I was younger you could get a game in an italian hood, jewish hood, black neighborhood, spanish area. No matter what you could always find a game. Everyone played ball. It was a great time but its just not like that anymore

yanksrock
07-05-2012, 04:26 PM
Free agents aren't exactly tripping over themselves to come here.

Canterbury
07-05-2012, 04:26 PM
I enjoy it when it is used as a reason on why Player X should pick NYC over City B.

ink
07-05-2012, 04:29 PM
That was An awful joke.

Yeah, who would want to joke about something so sacred. ;)

evadatam5150
07-05-2012, 04:42 PM

Hard not to bash something or a team or city when their name (Knicks) is in the same sentence with *Mecca of Basketball*..!!! It's like saying Hollywood is the mecca of reality.. In a nutshell if anyone is saying, thinking or arguing the fact that New York or the Knicks is center of the basketball universe then they should be slapped in the mouth for uttering it.. Reality is that New York has been irrelevant in the league for a while now, not only have they not won a Championship since the early 70's but they haven't been much to talk about since the Ewing era.. Flawed tag and concept and about as unrealistic as one can get..

metfan22
07-05-2012, 04:46 PM
Indy has a strong argument for the Mecca as well my dude.

Maybe. But they dont have the population or media.

Showtime Steve
07-05-2012, 04:50 PM
Do you know what mecca is? Im from cali andi want to go to NY just to hoop on the courts. I hate ny sports but yes it will always be the mecca.

KnickNyKnick
07-05-2012, 05:15 PM
lol its not because of the knicks, its the city. If you want to test your skill at a high/nba level you go and play on the courts of NYC. The cage, rucker park etc. not really anything to do with the knicks. BUT. players like it here because of the challenge they get in the offseason. I seen gary payton many times in the offseason play here

KnickNyKnick
07-05-2012, 05:18 PM
ok, all the NYers are posting the same answer over and over. close? sorry opp but i think its been answered thoroughly.