PDA

View Full Version : Lin leaves Hou without signing

smood999
07-05-2012, 01:59 AM
Jonathan Feigen ‏@Jonathan_Feigen
Doesn't look like there will be a deal w Lin, either. Rockets did make offer tonight. Like Gordon, Dragic, he'll leave town w/out taking it.

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA
Source close to Lin says that point guard will mull Houston's offer sheet over, and make decision on whether to sign or keep shopping.

Jonathan Feigen ‏@Jonathan_Feigen
Did not say no. Doesn't look good. RT @davidisthe1: @Victoriashoots yup @Jonathan_Feigen reports someone close to Lin he said no to Houston

Losoway
07-05-2012, 02:00 AM
why would he want to leave new york for houston? our media made him the most popular person on earth for 2 months .

he is staying with the knicks

torocan
07-05-2012, 02:01 AM
He knows there's probably going to be multiple teams pursuing.

He'll see what's out there.

I don't expect that to be his highest offer with Dallas, Toronto and maybe even Charlotte (Dragic gone) still to make decisions on what they want to do.

bholly
07-05-2012, 02:06 AM
He can't sign it until the 11th, so no surprise there. Him taking his time to decide doesn't tell us all that much.

aussie
07-05-2012, 02:11 AM
why would he want to leave new york for houston? our media made him the most popular person on earth for 2 months .

he is staying with the knicks

he's an idiot if he wants more money...the knicks could of matched it but now he is just gonna get a ****** contract depending on what the Raptors offer

Litchris12
07-05-2012, 02:13 AM
Hahaha go lin. come back to the Knicks and prove that your better than Nash so the knock fans can appreciate a true point guard. I'm glad Landry fields left and we got James white.

Knicks21
07-05-2012, 02:20 AM
I dont know if this is good or bad.

smood999
07-05-2012, 02:26 AM
well, that HOU beatwriter doesn't think he'll sign the offer sheet with them...but it could potentially be bad for the Knicks...I think TOR will backload it to the extreme and Fields is there...DAL also looms..after that I don't think there will be much of a market for him..

KnickaBocka.44
07-05-2012, 02:31 AM
Knicks will match any offer now that they can't get Nash, which in my opinion is better for them.

Don't get me wrong, I would have liked to have both. But for the long term future of the franchise Lin is obviously the way to go.

jetsfan28
07-05-2012, 02:36 AM
The Raptors will offer Lin the max that they can, so why would he say yes to Houston at this point as they grow more desperate (and they have already agreed to sign Lin's friend Landry Fields to an offer sheet), so why would Lin agree with Houston now?

TheWhiteMamba
07-05-2012, 02:39 AM
Adrian Wojnarowski:

Houston's multi-year offer to Jeremy Lin includes back-loaded money designed to hit the Knicks hard on luxury tax, source tells Y!

calibird707
07-05-2012, 02:41 AM
We are matching any offer we gets no other choice really...he might just reup and spare us the luxury cap hit...the raps will probably make him an offer though...they have more upside than dallas imo..

Bulls_fan90
07-05-2012, 03:29 AM
Haha **** you Morey. Too bad Asik couldn't have done the same.

TeamSeattle
07-05-2012, 03:34 AM
I still don't get why this kid wants to leave NY. Did he not realize the amount of money he made us & himself last year? Or that we made him the most popular player from one game? Yea he may get a bigger contract somewhere else but he'll just be another player in a small city.

jetsfan28
07-05-2012, 03:36 AM
I still don't get why this kid wants to leave NY. Did he not realize the amount of money he made us & himself last year? Or that we made him the most popular player from one game? Yea he may get a bigger contract somewhere else but he'll just be another player in a small city.

Who said anything about leaving New York? The Knicks will match just about any offer.

KB-Pau-DH2012
07-05-2012, 03:38 AM
Mavs and Rockets tied for the worst 2012 offseason.

GrumpyOldMan
07-05-2012, 06:49 AM
Lin could still sign the deal with Houston. He just has to explore a few other options. I don't blame him. It's not like he is a proven 10 year star who has made lots of money. He should be trying to get every nickel he can get at this stage of his career. I'm sure the Knicks will match any offer and I think he probably knows this too, but don't hate a guy for wanting to get paid.

ewmania
07-05-2012, 07:00 AM
lin knows not only will we match they offer... but the money he'll get from sponsorship and media here will be insane

ewmania
07-05-2012, 07:02 AM
haha i still can't believe TOR gave that to fields LOL

PREPBALLFAN
07-05-2012, 07:22 AM
Do you really expect people to take a massive pay cut for the good of Your team give me a break.

oak2455
07-05-2012, 07:43 AM
Yep what he said:D

yanksrock
07-05-2012, 07:48 AM
Not sure if this is good or bad.

Knicks21
07-05-2012, 07:55 AM
Rockets always trying to screw the knicks over, always.

StarvingKnick22
07-05-2012, 08:12 AM
I honestly could care less now we can't sign and trade for Lowry. WTF

trini_knickfan
07-05-2012, 08:22 AM
first off i don't think Lin wants to leave. I honestly believe his agent is probably telling him get the highest amount to an offer sheet. Then there is Dolan (the greatest owner in the NBA :facepalm:) and because in his eyes when he looks at Lin he sees $$$ and Linsanity, he'll match any offer.

MCSJR2
07-05-2012, 08:42 AM
seems like Lin is trying to get the most money possible....

torocan
07-05-2012, 08:47 AM

It wasn't Lin's idea.

The Knicks told him that he should go out and test his market value. If they had just offered him their cap max (4 years, $25M), who knows? He might have taken it. Players sometimes choose not to test the market when their teams step up and show complete faith.

Instead, the Raptors stole his best friend (also was told to test the market) and the Knicks almost sold off half the team in a bid for Nash (which would have benched him).

An object lesson in how much "loyalty" Lin could expect from his Team.

Welcome to the Free Market...

GrumpyOldMan
07-05-2012, 09:02 AM

as he should....the Knicks can still match any offer.

khaleesi
07-05-2012, 09:05 AM
It wasn't Lin's idea.

The Knicks told him that he should go out and test his market value. If they had just offered him their cap max (4 years, $25M), who knows? He might have taken it. Players sometimes choose not to test the market when their teams step up and show complete faith.

Instead, the Raptors stole his best friend (also was told to test the market) and the Knicks almost sold off half the team in a bid for Nash (which would have benched him).

I am very happy for Lin.

Especially funny to read now given how badly people. .. and Knicks PSD fans. .. trashed him as a barely vet min player. LOL.

Hope he takes Dolan for big money and humiliates the Indiana Mafia in that front office. Because they truly are clowns.

Bob_at_york
07-05-2012, 09:06 AM
Who said anything about leaving New York? The Knicks will match just about any offer.

I hope so.

Dankster
07-05-2012, 09:07 AM
It wasn't Lin's idea.

There's no guarantee he would've signed that offer. He became an international star within a span of a few months and as you've so eloquently articulated in many posts (you're def one of the better NY posters,) has made an exorbitant amount of money for the Knicks during his brief stint here. I'm sure as an RFA he would've listened to other offers as well without rushing to sign the first contract presented to him.

Deron always was guaranteed to make more money in Brooklyn but he still listened to other teams. Would've been the same for Jeremy, and rightfully so. These are multimillion dollar contracts and players need time to meticulously weigh their options.

MCSJR2
07-05-2012, 09:14 AM
It wasn't Lin's idea.

all true points....but what does an org do when Lin and his agent came out right after the season ended talking about it's not a foregone conclusion he will re-sign, then Lin switches agents and adds a marketing guru, etc...which shows he's going to go thru the FA process...then the courtship (dinner in L.A. with woody and Melo) happens and yet Lin gives no public statement expressing interest in re-signing...what if we offered the min to Lin..he says no and goes shopping...we end up in the exact same position we are in now

aztr0
07-05-2012, 09:15 AM
Why do most of you say that Lin wants to leave NY? Do you not read the news? Grunwald and the Knicks told Lin to go explore and come back, they'll match whatever he gets. He said he wanted the market to set the price tag for him (Lin). Obviously, that means he has to go shop around. How else will Lin get a price for his services if he doesn't visit other teams?

torocan
07-05-2012, 09:16 AM
There's no guarantee he would've signed that offer. He became an international star within a span of a few months and as you've so eloquently articulated in many posts (you're def one of the better NY posters,) has made an exorbitant amount of money for the Knicks during his brief stint here. I'm sure as an RFA he would've listened to other offers as well without rushing to sign the first contract presented to him.

Deron always was guaranteed to make more money in Brooklyn but he still listened to other teams. Would've been the same for Jeremy, and rightfully so. These are multimillion dollar contracts and players need time to meticulously weigh their options.

He might have, he might not. Unfortunately we'll never know, because Dolan never offered it to him.

Sadly, we don't get to sit in on those dinners.

What I do know is there was no shortage of people saying he didn't even deserve the MLE and they should let him go FA.

All we're left to wonder is what COULD have happened.

**And early on Lin said multiple times that he WANTED to come back as a Knick, but he understood it was a business, so he didn't know what would happen come FA time... IE, he didn't know how committed the Knicks were going to be.

MCSJR2
07-05-2012, 09:20 AM
Grunwald said publicy that he wanted the market to set Lin's value...why would a team offer him a contract???if I'm a team in need of a PG...I'm not going to waste time courting a player I know is going to re-sign with his old club...that doesn't make sense...to me I think its more there than wants being shown...I think Lin is out to get paid..which kinda's taint's his portrayed character.. :-/

koreancabbage
07-05-2012, 09:22 AM
I don't think its about leaving New York per say people. Its about what is the market for Lin. New York doesn't want to offer him a contract that would seem lowballing to him right? thats a sign of faith from the New York GM that he will pay market value for Lin if someone else is willing to give him some X amount of money.

this is a two way street for the Knicks and Lin.

torocan
07-05-2012, 09:28 AM
I think Lin is out to get paid..which kinda's taint's his portrayed character.. :-/

Lin is a good guy, not a Saint. If money wasn't somewhere in the equation, I don't think he would be human.

And it's not lowballing if it's the max you can offer.

I doubt Lin would have been offended if Grunwald sat him down and said...

"Look, we want you. So here's the deal. Under the CBA, this is the max we can give you... 4years, $25M. It's on the table if you want to play. Or, you can go out and test the market. It's up to you."

Maybe he goes out and tests it anyway, on the other hand $25M is alot of money, and 4 years is a Long contract.

Players face that every year. Some go FA, some look at it, and think "bird in the hand", shake hands and sign on the dotted line.

It was a mistake of Grunwald to not at least try. At least he would have had a chance to pay less, or not risk losing him.

Now, it's guaranteed he'll get a big contract... and all Grunwald can do is watch and wince with every offer.

MCSJR2
07-05-2012, 09:43 AM
Lin is a good guy, not a Saint. If money wasn't somewhere in the equation, I don't think he would be human.

And it's not lowballing if it's the max you can offer.

I doubt Lin would have been offended if Grunwald sat him down and said...

"Look, we want you. So here's the deal. Under the CBA, this is the max we can give you... 4years, $25M. It's on the table if you want to play. Or, you can go out and test the market. It's up to you."

Maybe he goes out and tests it anyway, on the other hand $25M is alot of money, and 4 years is a Long contract.

Players face that every year. Some go FA, some look at it, and think "bird in the hand", shake hands and sign on the dotted line.

It was a mistake of Grunwald to not at least try. At least he would have had a chance to pay less, or not risk losing him.

Now, it's guaranteed he'll get a big contract... and all Grunwald can do is watch and wince with every offer.

at what point is his contract too much? to me 4yr/$40M is too much for a player who's going into his sophmore season...what happens if he doesn't pan out??...what happens if his confidence dips???...we already know that if he has 3 bad games in a row...then the NY fans and media will be ready to feed him to the wolves..especially after signing that type of contract

torocan
07-05-2012, 09:46 AM
at what point is his contract too much? to me 4yr/$40M is too much for a player who's going into his sophmore season...what happens if he doesn't pan out??...what happens if his confidence dips???...we already know that if he has 3 bad games in a row...then the NY fans and media will be ready to feed him to the wolves..especially after signing that type of contract

Maybe. On the other hand, you got $45M tied up in Chandler/Melo/STAT, and they're not exactly getting any younger.

If you're the owner, are you really going to tank a year with THOSE players? Or are you going to take a run at it while you got them, and hope that age and injuries don't catch up before you can have a good year?

In this case it's about alot more than Lin's salary.

GiantsSwaGG
07-05-2012, 10:00 AM
I want Lowery

GiantsSwaGG
07-05-2012, 10:02 AM
Grunwald said publicy that he wanted the market to set Lin's value...why would a team offer him a contract???if I'm a team in need of a PG...I'm not going to waste time courting a player I know is going to re-sign with his old club...that doesn't make sense...to me I think its more there than wants being shown...I think Lin is out to get paid..which kinda's taint's his portrayed character.. :-/

Maybe you should go to work and tell your boss you want to work for minimum wage

MCSJR2
07-05-2012, 10:05 AM
Maybe. On the other hand, you got $45M tied up in Chandler/Melo/STAT, and they're not exactly getting any younger.

If you're the owner, are you really going to tank a year with THOSE players? Or are you going to take a run at it while you got them, and hope that age and injuries don't catch up before you can have a good year?

In this case it's about alot more than Lin's salary.

true...its a slippery slope...I support Lin but I don't want to overspend for his services (although the return could be more than expected)...at thhe same time Stat/Melo/Chandler has shown us what they can do (1st rnd playoff exit..death by Isolation..punching fire extinguishers, etc)

MCSJR2
07-05-2012, 10:08 AM
Maybe you should go to work and tell your boss you want to work for minimum wage

you cannot compare working in an office to sports...my boss doesn't ask me to work when i'm injured or sick either...

torocan
07-05-2012, 10:09 AM
According to the NY Post, Houston put a 4 year, $31M offer on the table.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/knicks/rocket_man_5uRfOZyrqV2UL8HcwZXsnK

Apparently on July 1st, Grunwald started playing hard ball, and told Lin that he would not make him an offer without establishing a market for him.

The Mavs still have Lin in their sights, nobody knows what Toronto will do, and then there's Charlotte... who was gunning for Dragic but he's now suiting up for the Suns.

I'm betting the market sure isn't looking how Grunwald thought it would look...

MCSJR2
07-05-2012, 10:12 AM
According to the NY Post, Houston put a 4 year, $31M offer on the table.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/knicks/rocket_man_5uRfOZyrqV2UL8HcwZXsnK

Apparently on July 1st, Grunwald started playing hard ball, and told Lin that he would not make him an offer without establishing a market for him.

The Mavs still have Lin in their sights, nobody knows what Toronto will do, and then there's Charlotte... who was gunning for Dragic but he's now suiting up for the Suns.

I'm betting the market sure isn't looking how Grunwald thought it would look...

looking pretty bad...

RC3
07-05-2012, 12:13 PM
It's strge how every NBA team wants to screw the knicks over while the lakers get everything for free.

LongIslandIcedZ
07-05-2012, 12:16 PM
I have a feeling the Knicks told Lin to go test his value and look at every offer, not sign anything, and then the Knicks will match the offer without backloading the contract.

KniCks4LiFe
07-05-2012, 12:22 PM

you have a team that was taking the starting job they promised you away. Grunwald and the Knicks brass told him to go out and set the market. This isn't wrong by Lin, he's doing what any of us would, and guess what he's gonna get a bigger deal. It's not that he doesn't want to be in NY, I'll say right now 2 places scare me Toronto b/c they got his bff Fields and Dallas b/c they have Cuban.

KniCks4LiFe
07-05-2012, 12:32 PM
I want Lowery

he reminds me of Duhon. I think he's a 15/6 guy in the Knicks current system. 40% shooter, 10-13 shots per game.

GMEN4EVER
This is potentially bad for NY. 30 million for 4 years wasn't too bad. But with Nash and Dragic off the market look for Lin to work out a 40 million dollar contract instead.

BuddhaMONK
you have a team that was taking the starting job they promised you away. Grunwald and the Knicks brass told him to go out and set the market. This isn't wrong by Lin, he's doing what any of us would, and guess what he's gonna get a bigger deal. It's not that he doesn't want to be in NY, I'll say right now 2 places scare me Toronto b/c they got his bff Fields and Dallas b/c they have Cuban.

Toronto also has the largest asian/chinese fanbase in the league...so he's obviously going to get a huge offer from us.

Punk
07-05-2012, 12:33 PM
According to the Raptors beat writer, they aren't too interested in Lin. They're looking at Lowry.

KniCks4LiFe
07-05-2012, 12:35 PM
This is potentially bad for NY. 30 million for 4 years wasn't too bad. But with Nash and Dragic off the market look for Lin to work out a 40 million dollar contract instead.

They gambled that no team would offer past $5M, they gambled and loss. Those last 2 yrs. in his contract would hurt, but in the cap system, that can easily be 10-15 in expiring. in yr. 4 Yr.1 and 2 Lin is paid like MLE player. Yr. 3 and 4 he's paid as a draw.

justinnum1
07-05-2012, 12:36 PM

thats crazy, he's worth no more than 5mil per year. knick are going to sooooo overpay, and they arent doing it for his bb skills, they are doing it because he is a money maker for him. This is one of those instances where i question if dolan wants to win or just make money

KniCks4LiFe
07-05-2012, 12:40 PM
thats crazy, he's worth no more than 5mil per year. knick are going to sooooo overpay, and they arent doing it for his bb skills, they are doing it because he is a money maker for him. This is one of those instances where i question if dolan wants to win or just make money

5 million is what he will be paid in the 1st and 2nd yr. Here's the thing, the 3rd and 4th is what 10M? NBA teams around the league love expiring contracts. So yr.3 if he doesn't pan out, it doesn't really hurt us. What I do think is they have to trade Melo.

KnicksR4Real
07-05-2012, 12:47 PM
Knicks proved to be suckers this offseason. They were very unproductive and any fan to say we've done we'll is ignorant.

Evolution23
07-05-2012, 01:00 PM
It's strge how every NBA team wants to screw the knicks over while the lakers get everything for free.

The Lakers just saved us from giving up Shumpert. They did us a favor.

Evolution23
07-05-2012, 01:01 PM

Knicks are gonna pay Lin 1 trillion dollars. watch!

THE MTL
07-05-2012, 01:05 PM
I dnt think lin is greedy. I think lin is looking out for the knicks' future flexibility.

KniCks4LiFe
07-05-2012, 01:07 PM
I dnt think lin is greedy. I think lin is looking out for the knicks' future flexibility.

com'on homie, he's not that unselfish now :laugh2:

LongIslandIcedZ
07-05-2012, 01:12 PM
The worst case scenario of giving Lin 30 million over 4 years is that if he doesnt play very well, he'll be making a lot of money in his 3rd season. In the fourth season he'll be an expiring which the Knicks may be able to move for some assets.

Sactown
07-05-2012, 01:20 PM
Why is everyone so reluctant to go to Hou???

Gritz
07-05-2012, 01:43 PM
Why visit if you're don't have the intentions on signing

rhino17
07-05-2012, 01:45 PM
Why is everyone so reluctant to go to Hou???

Daryl Morey treats players like ****

TheRunKiller
07-05-2012, 01:46 PM
He's going back to NY. Even tho Knicks would be real scary with Nash

torocan
07-05-2012, 02:16 PM
He's going back to NY. Even tho Knicks would be real scary with Nash

Wouldn't be so sure now.

Houston just traded away Lowry. So they now have NO PG.

Morey's up to something... Morey's alot of things, but he's no slouch when assessing PG's.

This is about to get more interesting...

IversonIsKrazy
07-05-2012, 03:31 PM
This is becoming interesting.... Rockets no longer have Lowry. If Lin doesn't go, they can only target Kidd, which I doubt he would leave Mavs for.

king4day
07-05-2012, 03:49 PM
Ramon Sessions perhaps? Or Felton maybe.

BenFrank
07-05-2012, 03:58 PM
I've heard talk's of them meeting with Aaron Brooks this week end from Alex Kennedy, smh.. i don't have twitter.. but i'm sure someone could bring this up..

torocan
07-05-2012, 05:13 PM
This is becoming interesting.... Rockets no longer have Lowry. If Lin doesn't go, they can only target Kidd, which I doubt he would leave Mavs for.

Too late. Kidd signing with the Knicks.