PDA

View Full Version : RFA offer sheet idea.

metsfanssince05
07-04-2012, 01:16 PM
In the NHL if you send a offer sheet to a RFA you have to give up draft picks, which limits these deals happening a lot in the NHL. The last big one was Phil Kessel going to Toronto, but getting him they had to give up 3 first round draft picks.

The draft picks would depend on something like this...

MIN - 3m - 2nd round pick
3.1-5 - 2 Second Round Picks
5.1-8 - 1st Round Pick
8.1-10 - 1st Round Pick & Second Round Pick
10.1-13 - 2 First Round Picks
13.1-16 - 2 First Round Picks & 2 Second Round Picks
17.-MAX - 3 First Round Picks & 3 Second Round Picks.

Theres rumors out there that Lin might go to Houston with a 7.5cap hit, in return getting the RFA, Houston would give there first round pick to New York. And With Fields going to Toronto, the Knicks would receive 2 second round picks.

This would limit all these big contracts and RFA going elsewhere easily.

Hellcrooner
07-04-2012, 01:20 PM
no.
Rfa shouldnt exist to start with.

hugepatsfan
07-04-2012, 01:24 PM
It doesn't work as well in the NBA as in other sports because the draft system is much different. There aren't as many rounds so it's harder to separate values of the different tenders.

metsfanssince05
07-04-2012, 01:26 PM
It doesn't work as well in the NBA as in other sports because the draft system is much different. There aren't as many rounds so it's harder to separate values of the different tenders.Yeah but you get a good young player, but the downside is you lose a draft pick.

Works well for both teams. The team loses a top RFA but in return they get draft picks.

IndyRealist
07-04-2012, 01:37 PM
You'll find the majority of players just taking the qualifying offer then, and hitting unrestricted free agency in the next year.

Hellcrooner
07-04-2012, 01:40 PM
You'll find the majority of players just taking the qualifying offer then, and hitting unrestricted free agency in the next year.

I dont really know why dont they do this by default anyway.

I know i would.

Pay me a good insurance like say pay 3 million and insure myself from injury for 50 million.

Then CHOOSE where the **** do i go.

StarvingKnick22
07-04-2012, 01:59 PM
I think thE NBA should avoid being anything like the NHL

Lisound15
07-04-2012, 02:27 PM
I think thE NBA should avoid being anything like the NHL

thats the most ignorant statment i've ever heard. Not only is there far more parity in the NHL (the winning percentages between the highest and lowest teams are far closer than the NBA) exhibiting a much less volatile league. This is because the free agency rules in hockey actually make sense in addition to having an actual "hard cap". Not only this, but the recent ratings for the NHL have skyrocketed while the NBA ratings have been on the decline. Hockey is quickly becoming huge in the states while basketball is losing its luster. But hey, shows how much you know about sports huh ? :shrug:

black1605
07-04-2012, 02:32 PM
No way. If anything, mimic the NFL and give compensatory picks at the end of rounds.

llemon
07-04-2012, 02:40 PM
thats the most ignorant statment i've ever heard. Not only is there far more parity in the NHL (the winning percentages between the highest and lowest teams are far closer than the NBA) exhibiting a much less volatile league. This is because the free agency rules in hockey actually make sense in addition to having an actual "hard cap". Not only this, but the recent ratings for the NHL have skyrocketed while the NBA ratings have been on the decline. Hockey is quickly becoming huge in the states while basketball is losing its luster. But hey, shows how much you know about sports huh ? :shrug:

Is hockey still played in this country?

AntiG
07-04-2012, 02:42 PM
no.

agreed. its utter BS

yanksrock
07-04-2012, 02:45 PM
no.

Why? It helps teams keep their young talent.

JeffG20
07-04-2012, 02:45 PM

this years finals had one of the highest ratings in years, so before you call someone ignorant check your facts.

does the NHL have a legit network these days? not hard to be the highest rated show on the Versus network

Hellcrooner
07-04-2012, 02:51 PM
Why? It helps teams keep their young talent.

they already have an advantage to keep their young talent.

Can offer MORE YEARS.

and can offer MORE MONEY

than other teams.

Seriously, enough **** with the DRAFT sending you for 5 years to somwhere you may not want to stay.

Lisound15
07-04-2012, 02:55 PM
this years finals had one of the highest ratings in years, so before you call someone ignorant check your facts.

does the NHL have a legit network these days? not hard to be the highest rated show on the Versus network

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2012/05/why-the-nhl-is-hot-and-the-nba-is-not-again/

http://www.awfulannouncing.com/2012-articles/may/nba-nhl-ratings-going-in-different-directions.html

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/eye-on-hockey/19045539/nhl-conference-semifinals-set-alltime-record-for-television-ratings

fyi just cause the finals had good ratings doesn't make the entire playoffs a success

astrosmaniac
07-04-2012, 02:57 PM
Crooner that's because playing in the nba is a ****ing PRIVILEGE, not a right

Lisound15
07-04-2012, 03:01 PM

and you did nothing to refute my point about parity. When's the last time an 8 seed played a 6 seed in the nba finals.... don't worry, i'll wait