PDA

View Full Version : David Aldridge: Raptors, Mavs, Knicks and Lakers all Interested in Steve Nash

KB-Pau-DH2012
07-03-2012, 09:58 PM
David Aldridge ‏@daldridgetnt

As Raptors, Knicks & Mavs-fight 4 Steve Nash, the Lakers have also quietly entered the picture & are making a hard push, per league source.

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2012/07/03/lakers-enter-fray-for-steve-nash/?ls=iref:nbahpt1

HANG TIME CAPITAL BUREAU — While the Toronto Raptors and New York Knicks have made strong pushes for free agent guard Steve Nash, the Los Angeles Lakers have, quietly, entered the fray for the 38-year-old guard and are making a strong bid to acquire him, according to a league source.
The Lakers, with a payroll already projected in excess of $83 million next season, would only be able to offer Nash an exception starting at $3.09 million for next season. It’s unlikely Nash would take that, so a sign-and-trade deal would be a more realistic possibility.

The Lakers do have a viable starting point guard they could send Phoenix in such a deal, Ramon Sessions, who became an unrestricted free agent after surprisingly opting out of the last year of his contract. Forwards Jordan Hill and Matt Barnes are also free agents.

The Lakers have also been looking to rid themselves of forward Metta World Peace, who has two years and $15 million remaining on his deal. But the Suns aren’t believed to be interested in World Peace.
Nash is mulling offers from the Raptors, who reportedly have a three-year, $36 million deal on the table, and the Knicks, who only have the $3 million exception to offer as well.

A source said Tuesday that Nash is allowing the Knicks time to try and create a sign-and-trade deal that would be palatable for Phoenix — and also get Nash a higher annual salary. But the Raptors put a crimp in New York’s plans Tuesday when they reached a verbal agreement with restricted free agent guard Landry Fields on an offer sheet worth $20 million for three years.

Fields was one of the players the Knicks had hoped to include in a potential sign and trade with the Suns. But the league’s rules prohibit a team from trading a player who has signed an offer sheet as part of a sign-and-trade deal.

The Mavericks are also looking at Nash, who left Dallas as a free agent in 2004 for Phoenix, after Nets free agent guard Deron Williams opted to remain in Brooklyn on Tuesday. But the Mavericks, according to a league source, have other possibilities if they can’t get Nash, including Clippers free agent Randy Foye, and Aaron Brooks, who played last season in China.

Because Brooks, who had played most recently in Phoenix in the NBA, wasn’t on the Suns’ roster at the end of last season, he can’t be used by the Suns as part of any sign-and-trade deal.

greg_ory_2005
07-03-2012, 10:00 PM
Just come to Toronto. I don't wanna be stuck with Fields.

justinnum1
07-03-2012, 10:08 PM
surprised he hasn't picked toronto yet

SACNYY
07-03-2012, 10:09 PM
Be cool to see him as a Laker.

shep33
07-03-2012, 10:09 PM
He won't pick LA, too much of a rivalry there, and he lives out east.

KB-Pau-DH2012
07-03-2012, 10:13 PM
^^^I'm sure he still hasn't sold his house in Phoenix. I assume he bought one, since he was there for like 8 yrs.

kblo247
07-03-2012, 10:13 PM
Sessions for Nash wouldn't be bad at the right pace for Phoenix. He can push the tempo there and is young. Nash would fit the Lakers window, wouldn't be ring chasing since the team needs a pg and legit help to win, and he could make money off being a Laker

KB-Pau-DH2012
07-03-2012, 10:15 PM
Sessions for Nash wouldn't be bad at the right pace for Phoenix. He can push the tempo there and is young. Nash would fit the Lakers window, wouldn't be ring chasing since the team needs a pg and legit help to win, and he could make money off being a Laker

Question is, does he detest Kobe Bryant and detest the Lakers organization that much that he wouldn't consider it at all?

SACNYY
07-03-2012, 10:17 PM
He won't pick LA, too much of a rivalry there, and he lives out east.

He has played in the west whole career, so that's obviously not a problem. And about the rivalry, there's been way bigger rivals that became teammates.

Mr Costanza
07-03-2012, 10:17 PM
Question is, does he detest Kobe Bryant and detest the Lakers organization that much that he wouldn't consider it at all?

He did tell espn he wouldn't play for the Lakers.

sunsfan88
07-03-2012, 10:19 PM
Lakers can give us Gasoft for him....we'll then dump him to the Hornets for Gordon or to the TWolves for Derrick Williams :D

Jint.
07-03-2012, 10:22 PM
Just come to Toronto. I don't wanna be stuck with Fields.

Fields is your destiny

Donuts365
07-03-2012, 10:32 PM
suns sign eric gorgan 4 yr 58 mill put it up

ACanadian
07-03-2012, 10:45 PM
suns sign eric gorgan 4 yr 58 mill put it up

I doubt it

ACanadian
07-03-2012, 10:48 PM
I doubt it

Oh ***** nvm lol, wow GL NOH

Six-8-TheWizard
07-03-2012, 11:19 PM
I doubt Nash would sign with the Lakers, and I think the Knicks are trying to sign Kidd. Its betweeen Toronto and Dallas imo

Wray77
07-03-2012, 11:20 PM
Eric Gorgan Dragic?

KB-Pau-DH2012
07-03-2012, 11:21 PM
I doubt Nash would sign with the Lakers, and I think the Knicks are trying to sign Kidd. Its betweeen Toronto and Dallas imo

Agree, Lakers have near a 0% shot at Nash. He just doesn't want to be there with Kobe, plain and simple.

YashBoone
07-03-2012, 11:26 PM

How surprised can you really be?
It's Toronto.... Who the Fuxk wants to go there knowing they have a zero chance of winning?
Just to be a home town hero?
Wtf is that bs?

Sinestro
07-03-2012, 11:36 PM
Surprised the Bulls haven't given him a call

ryang
07-03-2012, 11:43 PM
It's Toronto.... Who the Fuxk wants to go there knowing they have a zero chance of winning?
Wtf is that bs?

tell all the people who hate lebron for leaving the same thing..

smood999
07-03-2012, 11:45 PM
I think the fact that Nash is mulling over lesser offers than 3/36 shows he really is looking for another option other than Tor...no other team can pay him that but he has yet to sign...also, Tor actions with Fields show that maybe they knew this...

KB-Pau-DH2012
07-03-2012, 11:47 PM
tell all the people who hate lebron for leaving the same thing..

This isn't about LeBron. Get outta here!

Avenged
07-03-2012, 11:48 PM
Lakers interested in everyone yet don't get anyone. :win:

Gritz
07-04-2012, 12:06 AM
Wtf is that bs?

That's what I am saying, unless he is content with being a loser

kblo247
07-04-2012, 01:08 AM
From a Suns writer

The Lakers & Nash are interested in a sign-and-trade. Sounds like there's no way Sarver would do that for the#Suns rival.
https://mobile.twitter.com/#!/paulcoro/status/220378682508836864

Nash wouldn't object Sarver just has to decide if he wants the good or of shipping him to win even to la

ink
07-04-2012, 01:12 AM
From a Suns writer

The Lakers & Nash are interested in a sign-and-trade. Sounds like there's no way Sarver would do that for the#Suns rival.
https://mobile.twitter.com/#!/paulcoro/status/220378682508836864

Nash wouldn't object Sarver just has to decide if he wants the good or of shipping him to win even to la

I saw a recent clip where Nash said the Lakers jersey was one he just couldn't see himself wearing, not after all these years. He sounded pretty genuine.

numba1CHANGsta
07-04-2012, 01:19 AM
If you were one of the best PG's in NBA history and have two MVP's and are in the last 2-3 years of your career meaning the next contract you sign will be your last, wouldn't you want to go to a place where you can win a ring? or are championships meaningless to many NBA stars now a days? oh and by the way the smartest choice is to go to the Lakers

J4KOP99
07-04-2012, 01:21 AM
I just can't see him going to la.

numba1CHANGsta
07-04-2012, 01:21 AM
I saw a recent clip where Nash said the Lakers jersey was one he just couldn't see himself wearing, not after all these years. He sounded pretty genuine.

So Canadians don't look good in Purlpe&Gold? :rolleyes:

Sinestro
07-04-2012, 01:29 AM
Lakers interested in everyone yet don't get anyone. :win:

Welcome to the Bulls world :cry:

ink
07-04-2012, 02:15 AM
So Canadians don't look good in Purlpe&Gold? :rolleyes:

The truth is I am bit old school. I think for me it would be hard to put on a Lakers jersey. That's just what it is. You play against them so many times in the playoffs and I just use them as an example with the uttermost respect for them and their organization. I think it was Larry Bird that was like he wouldn't play for them type thing. I kind of have that tendency.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/eye-on-basketball/19426009/steve-nash-says-money-is-a-factor-and-it-would-hard-to-put-on-a-lakers-jersey

C-Style
07-04-2012, 02:29 AM
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/eye-on-basketball/19426009/steve-nash-says-money-is-a-factor-and-it-would-hard-to-put-on-a-lakers-jersey

Nash goes on to say...

but as a free agent you are free to go wherever you want and I'd have to consider everything regardless of the past or future.

Paul Coro ‏@paulcoro
Quote:
The Lakers & Nash are interested in a sign-and-trade. Sounds like there's no way Sarver would do that for the #Suns rival.

Bigbadmoffo
07-04-2012, 02:41 AM
Lakers have nothing suns want for a sign and trade. Nash would be great in Okc and they could trade for Dwight:p

Bigbadmoffo
07-04-2012, 02:42 AM
Hope this is done when I wake up man. Sounds like he's gonna be a mav fml better then then Knicks!

GREATNESS ONE
07-04-2012, 03:38 AM
Idk maybe Howard & Nash wanna play with each other. If that's the case LA has a shot at obtaining both players if they both knew they were teaming up.

Long shot.

We'll see :cool:

shep33
07-04-2012, 03:44 AM
Lakers have a $9 mill TPE, maybe throw in a first rounder. So it's highly unlikely.

Edit: Read that LAL wants to do a S&T with Sessions, Jordan Hill, and Matt Barnes going to PHX.

GREATNESS ONE
07-04-2012, 03:48 AM
Yea but man oh man if that team was ever assembled...

Chrisc21
07-04-2012, 03:49 AM
Nash already said he doesn't want to play for the lakers

masTOR_shake1
07-04-2012, 03:53 AM
Dear Steve:
Come home.

jam
07-04-2012, 03:53 AM
The Lakers are going to struggle as an inconsistent but winning team as long as Kobe is their #1 option. Which should occupy the better part of 2 or more seasons as the Lakers' front office waits for Kobe to retire.

Davidgta1
07-04-2012, 03:56 AM
Lakers give Nash best chance to win a ring outta these teams. but think he's going home

shep33
07-04-2012, 04:00 AM
Even as a Laker fan, I kinda hope he goes to Toronto. The Raps have been cursed... the problem though is that why the hell hasn't he accepted T.O.'s offer yet? Seems like he's weighing winning vs. money + playing at home.

John Walls Era
07-04-2012, 04:05 AM
How would the Lakers use Nash? If they want him to play off Kobe and spread the floor, then there are cheaper options. If they want him to faciliate, how will Kobe feel?

shep33
07-04-2012, 04:08 AM
How would the Lakers use Nash? If they want him to play off Kobe and spread the floor, then there are cheaper options. If they want him to faciliate, how will Kobe feel?

I think Kobe is looking for someone to take pressure off of him on the perimeter. I believe he even mentioned this last year noting how his game now isn't based off of continually handling the ball on the perimeter. He doesn't like doing it anymore, he'd much rather get the ball on the Karl Malone/Jordan post and go to work there.

Nash would do wonders for Pau Gasol imo.

Lakeshow24KB
07-04-2012, 04:08 AM
Would loooove him in LA but don't see it happening.

John Walls Era
07-04-2012, 04:10 AM
I think Kobe is looking for someone to take pressure off of him on the perimeter. I believe he even mentioned this last year noting how his game now isn't based off of continually handling the ball on the perimeter. He doesn't like doing it anymore, he'd much rather get the ball on the Karl Malone/Jordan post and go to work there.

Nash would do wonders for Pau Gasol imo.

But is what Kobe says, what kobe really feels? Kobe has been doing this for a long time, will it be easy for him to let someone else handle it in the 4th and try to get HIM involved.

BURAKOBE
07-04-2012, 04:17 AM
If somehow Lakers manage to sign Nash and trade for Howard, this means they still got Gasol on the roster, they'd have

Nash-Kobe-Pau-Dwight on the floor. That is really, really bad news for the rest of the league. Also having Nash on the floor means Mike Brown's offensve icapability is much less of a problem.

thenaj17
07-04-2012, 04:38 AM

And Kobe hates Nash - when he said he still hated Phoenix after all this time, Nash was the only 1 left on the roster from those playoff series

Stranger things have happened though so fingers crossed!

NYsFinest
07-04-2012, 04:38 AM

He wants to go to NY and is waiting to see if they can put a deal together...

At this point I don't want the Knicks to trade for Nash, I think Lin and Shump are too valuable to trade for a player his age.... so ultimately at this point, I hope he goes to Dallas. He would be wasting the last few years he has playing in a crappy country for a horrible team if he goes to toronto.

GREATNESS ONE
07-04-2012, 04:41 AM
If somehow Lakers manage to sign Nash and trade for Howard, this means they still got Gasol on the roster, they'd have

Nash-Kobe-Pau-Dwight on the floor. That is really, really bad news for the rest of the league. Also having Nash on the floor means Mike Brown's offensve icapability is much less of a problem.

first thing that came to mind.

The offense would be so fluid.

kblo247
07-04-2012, 05:04 AM
But is what Kobe says, what kobe really feels? Kobe has been doing this for a long time, will it be easy for him to let someone else handle it in the 4th and try to get HIM involved.

Well to be fair, Brown is on record saying Kobe had no problem moving off the ball for Sessiosn but that Pau and Andrew both complained about complained about playing up and down with the style Ramon was using when he first got to LA. The bigs *****ed about pace and tempo, then Brown went back to Kobe handling the ball and setting it.

I think you need a guard who can find a balance. I've always said the idea Kobe can't feed a big is far fetched, as every big from Shaq to Mihm to Kwame to Cook to Pau to Lamar to Andrew have thrived off him. The dynamic la has never had is someone to get Kobe looks and the bigs looks at a routine they are all happy with.

I mean who is to say that a true Pg, closest he has played with is Payton, would not feed Kobe continuously if he is hot and piss said bigs off? Same is true in reverse. Phil just always had Kobe mix it up and be both the facilitator and scorer. I mean we know he can score if fed as he had his best numbers splitting playmaking with Walton and Odom, so I would think he would thrive off Nash and that one of the it's at least would.

In short Kobe is hard headed but OT a knuckle head so I think he would live with Nash making the plays. Might be some growing pains, but he did it with Payton until the playoffs came and Pyton couldn't run a triangle set.

Plus at the end of the day, Kobe's hand is ****ed and i think that wrist injury made him really want to not handle the ball last year, as he asked for ball handler help double digit times before the Sessions deal as he would have to get shots in the hand and wrist just to deal with the pain

lakersrock
07-04-2012, 10:24 AM
And Kobe hates Nash - when he said he still hated Phoenix after all this time, Nash was the only 1 left on the roster from those playoff series

Stranger things have happened though so fingers crossed!

While he does, Kobe's desire to win is stronger than his hate for Nash.

thenaj17
07-04-2012, 10:38 AM
While he does, Kobe's desire to win is stronger than his hate for Nash.

Well i sure hope so and hope he talks Nash into joining!

Let's not forget though that Kobe's burning desire to 'eat first' and 'get mine' as he put it has put off Dwight Howard signing an extension if we traded for him and seemed to be more important than his desire to win.

Let's hope Nash being a facilitator will discourage such talk this time

sixer04fan
07-04-2012, 11:16 AM
Haha, that's an awesome move by Toronto to sign Fields to an offer sheet, which blocks him from being in a sign-and-trade if the Knicks wanted to use him to get Nash.