PDA

View Full Version : Philly signs Lavoy Allen (2years 6 Million) Sign of intelligence AND Idiocy at once

Chronz
07-03-2012, 03:32 PM
Small move but hes a decent reserve bigman. The reason I bring this up is not because I think it was a good move, I know hes a big they had to bring back but I bring it up because it should have been completely unnecessary. The Sixers end up having to pay 6M for a player who should have been under a rookie contract well into his 3rd/4th year in the league. Can anyone tell me why he wasnt tendered a 4 year deal?

rocket
07-03-2012, 03:36 PM
I actually have never heard of him.

Eagles710
07-03-2012, 03:38 PM
This sucks

MTone8788
07-03-2012, 03:42 PM
Second round draft pick.. It was a one year deal I believe

Chronz
07-03-2012, 03:43 PM
Second round draft pick.. It was a one year deal I believe

Morey signs 2nd round picks well into their 4th season. The Clippers locked up DJ as a 2nd rounder for 3 years.

fadedmario
07-03-2012, 03:43 PM
Not good at all. Allen is worth $800,000 a year and nothing more.

cbreezy34
07-03-2012, 03:45 PM
Honstly.. obvisouly not signign him to a second year showed their lack of confidence in him... but ask Celtics fans if he is any good.

jtrinaldi
07-03-2012, 03:47 PM
Lavoy is worth Half a Scalabrine

BroadStBullies
07-03-2012, 03:50 PM
Obviously you didn't see him in the playoffs. He very much proved himself, especially in the Boston series. I'll live with 2 years, 6 mil.

Mrphilly
07-03-2012, 03:50 PM
Lavoy is worth Half a Scalabrine

KG would disagree.

thekmp211
07-03-2012, 03:53 PM
i think its mostly smart, he played well this year and it's not an albatross contract by any means if he ends up regressing. better than signing eddy curry or jerome james to a $10/week + free meals contract if you ask me.

GiantsSwaGG
07-03-2012, 03:55 PM
Who?

jtrinaldi
07-03-2012, 03:55 PM
i think its mostly smart, he played well this year and it's not an albatross contract by any means if he ends up regressing. better than signing eddy curry or jerome james to a $10/week + free meals contract if you ask me.
Dude, look at Amare's deal how bad is that? Doesn't play defense and they still have no point......= not out of 1st round

Knowledge
07-03-2012, 04:03 PM
This kid wasn't projected to be drafted and many draft experts were calling it a sentimental pick due to the fact that he played his college ball in Philly and was something like a hometown kid. He was ranked 99 in Chad Ford's best prospect list and some media people called it a wasted pick.

During the regular season he started to play spot minutes due to injuries and he impressed. He impressed the fans and probably shocked the 76ers a little as they didnt expect him to contribute this year. Then in the playoffs he played strong against KG.

Note that he was ranked 500 (dead last) in ESPN's ranknig of NBA players so it isnt a surprise the 76ers didn't sign him to a 2 or more year rookie deal when no one expected him to succeed.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/6862838/nba-player-rankings-401-500

thekmp211
07-03-2012, 04:06 PM
Dude, look at Amare's deal how bad is that? Doesn't play defense and they still have no point......= not out of 1st round

wtf does amare stoudemire have to do with anything????

i agree with the post above, no one knew what to make out of allen hence the non-guaranteed contract. good for him.

Knowledge
07-03-2012, 04:15 PM
88 people in a Lavoy Allen thread . . . . . so the Mayans were right :speechless:

IversonIsKrazy
07-03-2012, 04:18 PM
At first I thought I saw Ray Allen, and I was like wow he went to Philly? But now I see it's Lavoy... who the **** is this and why is he getting $3m, sounds like a benchwarmer.

TheIlladelph16
07-03-2012, 04:20 PM
This kid wasn't projected to be drafted and many draft experts were calling it a sentimental pick due to the fact that he played his college ball in Philly and was something like a hometown kid. He was ranked 99 in Chad Ford's best prospect list and some media people called it a wasted pick.

During the regular season he started to play spot minutes due to injuries and he impressed. He impressed the fans and probably shocked the 76ers a little as they didnt expect him to contribute this year. Then in the playoffs he played strong against KG.

Note that he was ranked 500 (dead last) in ESPN's ranknig of NBA players so it isnt a surprise the 76ers didn't sign him to a 2 or more year rookie deal when no one expected him to succeed.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/6862838/nba-player-rankings-401-500

This pretty much sums it up. I went to Temple and got to see him play for 3 years while I was there and honestly never even thought he would be drafted. So I can see why he was not locked up to a multi year deal right out of the draft.

Chronz
07-03-2012, 04:28 PM
So they drafted a longshot out of pity and it worked? Well that does seem understandable but even then you can throw in a team option for 2 successive year afterwards. If he was such a bad pick then I think he would LOVE to take a deal that could possibly keep him in the NBA.

thekmp211
07-03-2012, 04:31 PM
So they drafted a longshot out of pity and it worked? Well that does seem understandable but even then you can throw in a team option for 2 successive year afterwards. If he was such a bad pick then I think he would LOVE to take a deal that could possibly keep him in the NBA.

yeah it does get sticky when you strike gold in the second round and guys become woefully underpaid.

i think for instance a bunch of 2nd round players are going to be solid and maybe a couple stars even. their teams will want to lock them up on teh cheap, but they probably want to hit RFA as fast as possible.

Knowledge
07-03-2012, 04:35 PM

hindsight is 20/20 and I would always be for giving draft picks mutli year contracts with a team option for year 3 if that is possible, but no one knew he would be good. He is a good kid, but he was a long-shot to even make the team. This is a guy who was selling his press conference jersey for $150 right after being introduced.

https://twitter.com/broadstbully24/status/103511871340027904

Thought that was probably just Lavoy being Lavoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M73DC4Ape2M

B'sCeltsPatsSox
07-03-2012, 04:36 PM
I'm guessing the people who are saying "who?" didn't watch the Celtics -76ers series during the playoffs.

rickshaw
07-03-2012, 04:43 PM
He can consistently hit a mid-range jumper and is solid defensively. He could turn into a decent starter or a good bench player.

Mrphilly
07-03-2012, 04:44 PM
How can you be in a basketball forum and not know the players. It makes you look like a fool when you say "Who". Every thread is not going to be about Lebron, Wade, and D. Rose.

greg_ory_2005
07-03-2012, 04:58 PM
I like Allen. Had a solid season, and even took Brand's minutes in the playoffs.

WolvesJagsOs
07-03-2012, 04:59 PM
How can you be in a basketball forum and not know the players. It makes you look like a fool when you say "Who". Every thread is not going to be about Lebron, Wade, and D. Rose.

Couldn't have said it better. Gets quite annoying actually.

dodgersuck
07-03-2012, 06:01 PM
Temple!

bholly
07-03-2012, 06:14 PM
Small move but hes a decent reserve bigman. The reason I bring this up is not because I think it was a good move, I know hes a big they had to bring back but I bring it up because it should have been completely unnecessary. The Sixers end up having to pay 6M for a player who should have been under a rookie contract well into his 3rd/4th year in the league. Can anyone tell me why he wasnt tendered a 4 year deal?

Some of us wondered the same thing at the time. I've assumed the FO just ****ed up, but it's possible he hardballed them and accepted the required tender. I really don't know. Sucks, though.