PDA

View Full Version : Need CBA Experts

Clippersfan86
07-03-2012, 01:29 PM
I was wondering how offering multiple offer sheets works. If let's say a team offers 3 offer sheets of MLE to different players what if before the deadline (11th) you decide you want one the most and all three players want it/accept terms. Can you cancel the offer with two of the players? I guess what I'm confused on is... I understand this phase is verbal but if you cancel and the player and agent really wanted to go there you can burn a major bridge with that agent no?

GREATNESS ONE
07-03-2012, 01:31 PM
Gr824 = most knowledgeable poster on this site.

xnick5757
07-03-2012, 01:40 PM
both the player and team have to sign an offer sheet, so the team could withdraw at the last minute if they wanted. like you said though, this would most likely burn bridges with agents.

hope that helps

Chronz
07-03-2012, 01:40 PM
Short answer, no. 1 offer sheet takes up a cap hold.

Clippersfan86
07-03-2012, 01:42 PM
Chronz so with Allen coming into town Friday (Clippers top priority) and other SG's they will meet with, no official offer sheet would be offered in the meantime. Unless they are stupid and want to troll players.

Chronz
07-03-2012, 01:42 PM
Gr824 = most knowledgeable poster on this site.

:worthy:

The only poster who can change my opinion on anything.

Chronz
07-03-2012, 01:44 PM
Chronz so with Allen coming into town Friday (Clippers top priority) and other SG's they will meet with, no official offer sheet would be offered in the meantime. Unless they are stupid and want to troll players.

Officially no, but they will let Allen know hes their top priority and if he accepts the offer its done with.

Man I wish Ray wouldve came all those years ago. I wonder if we're going to mention that, could backfire but the Clippers were a team on the verge back then and could have been serious contenders with him on board. Half a decade later and we are at the same crossroad.

GREATNESS ONE
07-03-2012, 01:44 PM

:nod: and you are the man.

xnick5757
07-03-2012, 01:45 PM
Short answer, no. 1 offer sheet takes up a cap hold.

on the original team, yes. not on the team that offered (at least not during the july moratorium)

Clippersfan86
07-03-2012, 01:47 PM
Officially no, but they will let Allen know hes their top priority and if he accepts the offer its done with.

Man I wish Ray wouldve came all those years ago. I wonder if we're going to mention that, could backfire but the Clippers were a team on the verge back then and could have been serious contenders with him on board. Half a decade later and we are at the same crossroad.

Would you be much happier with him than Crawford even though he's 5 years older? I would assume so because even in a down year last year he had great efficiency.

Clippersfan86
07-03-2012, 01:48 PM
on the original team, yes. not on the team that offered (at least not during the july moratorium)

This makes sense. Otherwise the teams pursuing the free agents would be in very very tough spot.

JasonJohnHorn
07-03-2012, 02:13 PM
If you put out an offer sheet, that money is tied up until the player's team exercises their option to match the offer sheet. This has burned the Utah Jazz a couple of times a few years back. One season they signed Jason Terry to an offer sheet and their money was tied up with him for almost a week before his team finally matched the offer, by which time all the other big-name free agents had already signed with other teams. So putting out an offer sheet early for a restricted free agent can be a bit of a gamble for a team.

Chronz
07-03-2012, 02:29 PM
The original team only has a cap hold equal to the Qualifying Offer, the new teams cap hold is whatever it is offering

Clippersfan86
07-03-2012, 02:36 PM
Okay. Then Clippers better not offer anything official to Crawford today because it's down to them and Heat for Allen and they have a very good shot with more money and bigger role.

b@llhog24
07-03-2012, 02:58 PM

:faint:

Chronz
07-03-2012, 03:11 PM
Would you be much happier with him than Crawford even though he's 5 years older? I would assume so because even in a down year last year he had great efficiency.

Both have risks. Both are declining but its just a matter of what role you would rather fill?

My order of importance from either of these guys are as follows;

Set 3pt Shooting, scoring off the ball (pindowns, down/flarescreens, single doubles etc..), then PnR ability.

When it comes down to 3pt shooting I dont need to say anything to help Ray's cause, but Crawford is abit of an enigma. Hes not a consistent shooter year to year but he was never as bad as he was last year. Part of me wants to think it was a fluke but a 3 year stretch of decline is worrisome (38%/34%/30%). But if you look at his spotup shooting the #'s are far more consistent, during that same stretch hes shooting (37%/37%/38%). It seems the main cause of his declining 3pt shooting has to do with the fact that hes not taking as many set 3's as he has before. This is where CP3 and Blake should theoretically help his efficiency. They are both adept at creating open 3's and he seems capable of knocking those down.

Still, Ray Allen laughs at simply being adequate at hitting down set 3's. When it comes to scoring off screens Ray has a 1.05PPP rate of efficiency, and he went 52/123 (43%) from 3. So Ray shoots 3's at a higher % running off screens than Jamal does when hes set. Jamal simply doesnt have that in his arsenal. That kind of movement off the ball is a huge threat that can open up the floor for the stars rather than them opening up a shot for the role player. This is why I was hoping to hold onto Young, hes not very good at it yet but its an aspect of the game hes really trying to develop, well atleast he was before he got to LA, Vinny didnt put him in alot of those situations.

With Ray, the entire offense will have to change but thats not necessarily a bad thing, you gotta have more ways to score aside from PnR/Post/Iso's. But that brings me to my next question, even if we get Ray, will Vinny just put him in more PnR situations or does he have the common sense to leave him as an off the ball threat? He put Young in more PnR than hes ever been in and its not really what hes best at. If we get Crawford atleast hes used to doing things Vinny stresses.

The problem is, his Iso/PnR numbers fell. Hes still a good Isolation player but his PnR efficiency fell drastically and unlike his 3pt shooting this is the third straight year that hes become less effective in these situations. To me thats a glaring red flag.

I would much rather take the chance on the older yet superb shooter who takes his craft very seriously with tremendous work ethic can keep beating the clock than the guy whos clearly more reliant on ball hoggery and quickness. We already made that mistake with Caron last year, I see no reason to try again.