PDA

View Full Version : Bad News for Nets haters

teddygreen17
07-03-2012, 10:58 AM
http://www.hoopsrumors.com/2012/07/how-the-joe-johnson-deal-works-financially.html

How The Joe Johnson Deal Works Financially
July 3 at 8:53am CST By Luke Adams
When the Nets agreed to acquire Joe Johnson from the Nets, the general perception was that Brooklyn's cap space allowed the team to absorb Johnson's mammoth contract. However, while the Nets' cap flexibility affords them the opportunity to make the deal, it actually appears that they won't be using any cap room in this trade or in any other moves this summer.

As I outlined when I previewed the Nets' offseason, even with only about $13MM in guaranteed salary on the books, Brooklyn's cap holds for free agents like Deron Williams, Kris Humphries, and Brook Lopez take the club well past the salary-cap line. To claim all that potential cap space, the Nets would have to renounce their rights to those free agents, which they've yet to do, and it doesn't appear they will.
Because they're still technically an over-the-cap team, the Nets had to meet salary-matching rules in the deal for Johnson. Based on the guidelines of the Traded Player Exception, we can work backwards from Johnson's $19,752,645 salary and determine that the Nets would need to come up with $14,752,645 in salary to send to Atlanta -- that way they'd be absorbing no more than the outgoing salary + $5MM, which is the rule for any amount between $9.8MM and $19.6MM.

So how did that outgoing salary add up for Brooklyn? Let's take a look....

Jordan Farmar: $4,250,000
Anthony Morrow: $4,000,000
Johan Petro: $3,500,000
Jordan Williams: $762,195
With those four players in the deal, the Nets are still a little short of the salary requirements, at $12,512,195. Enter DeShawn Stevenson. In order to make up the necessary difference, the Nets will include a sign-and-trade deal for the veteran wing. Stevenson would have needed to sign for a minimum of $2,240,450 to make the financial details work, so his reported agreement worth $2.3MM makes perfect sense.

While the Nets will view the trade as a simultaneous deal, for Atlanta it works as a non-simultaneous trade. From the Hawks' perspective, they're sending out Johnson's $19,752,645 salary and have one year to take back up to that amount. Farmar's, Morrow's, Petro's, and Stevenson's salaries all must be absorbed within that figure, but Williams' minimum-salary contract can be taken on using the minimum salary exception. When all is said and done, the Hawks should have a traded player exception worth $5,702,645 that they'll have a year to use.

teddygreen17
07-03-2012, 11:00 AM
As a Knicks fan..I say CRAP....as a basketball fan I say..screw the Heat...as a Nets hater and someone who is a Yankees fan and will look at the Nets much like the Mets (a step child) I say..CRAP.

Looks as though Dwight Howard can fit after all.

Whomewhome
07-03-2012, 11:02 AM
As a Knicks fan..I say CRAP....as a basketball fan I say..screw the Heat...as a Nets hater and someone who is a Yankees fan and will look at the Nets much like the Mets (a step child) I say..CRAP.

Looks as though Dwight Howard can fit after all.
The step child is about to screw the dad. (sorry man I couldn't resist)

marj987
07-03-2012, 11:02 AM
Who cares? And no one hates the Nets the fans on this website are just annoying as hell.

bholly
07-03-2012, 11:06 AM
I think we all knew this.

And do the Nets have haters?

C-Style
07-03-2012, 11:06 AM
thers nothing to hate on

NYY 26 to 7
07-03-2012, 11:07 AM
Who cares? And no one hates the Nets the fans on this website are just annoying and as hell.

This. Which is not representative of Nets fans in general at all. I got not problem with the Nets being really good. If they land Howard their FO did an amazing job.

*Superman*
http://www.hoopsrumors.com/2012/07/how-the-joe-johnson-deal-works-financially.html

How The Joe Johnson Deal Works Financially
July 3 at 8:53am CST By Luke Adams
When the Nets agreed to acquire Joe Johnson from the Nets, the general perception was that Brooklyn's cap space allowed the team to absorb Johnson's mammoth contract. However, while the Nets' cap flexibility affords them the opportunity to make the deal, it actually appears that they won't be using any cap room in this trade or in any other moves this summer.

As I outlined when I previewed the Nets' offseason, even with only about $13MM in guaranteed salary on the books, Brooklyn's cap holds for free agents like Deron Williams, Kris Humphries, and Brook Lopez take the club well past the salary-cap line. To claim all that potential cap space, the Nets would have to renounce their rights to those free agents, which they've yet to do, and it doesn't appear they will.
Because they're still technically an over-the-cap team, the Nets had to meet salary-matching rules in the deal for Johnson. Based on the guidelines of the Traded Player Exception, we can work backwards from Johnson's $19,752,645 salary and determine that the Nets would need to come up with $14,752,645 in salary to send to Atlanta -- that way they'd be absorbing no more than the outgoing salary + $5MM, which is the rule for any amount between $9.8MM and $19.6MM.

So how did that outgoing salary add up for Brooklyn? Let's take a look....

Jordan Farmar: $4,250,000
Anthony Morrow: $4,000,000
Johan Petro: $3,500,000
Jordan Williams: $762,195
With those four players in the deal, the Nets are still a little short of the salary requirements, at $12,512,195. Enter DeShawn Stevenson. In order to make up the necessary difference, the Nets will include a sign-and-trade deal for the veteran wing. Stevenson would have needed to sign for a minimum of $2,240,450 to make the financial details work, so his reported agreement worth $2.3MM makes perfect sense.

While the Nets will view the trade as a simultaneous deal, for Atlanta it works as a non-simultaneous trade. From the Hawks' perspective, they're sending out Johnson's $19,752,645 salary and have one year to take back up to that amount. Farmar's, Morrow's, Petro's, and Stevenson's salaries all must be absorbed within that figure, but Williams' minimum-salary contract can be taken on using the minimum salary exception. When all is said and done, the Hawks should have a traded player exception worth $5,702,645 that they'll have a year to use.

How is this news? The deal went through, that is all that matters. They will still face cap hell with JJ added to the payroll.

shep33

This.

Hawkeye15
wait, there are Nets haters?

dnewguy
07-03-2012, 11:08 AM
LOL....hate on the Nets?

waveycrockett
07-03-2012, 11:09 AM

I hope so!

Fresno
Nets have haters? You have to be a franchise with a large fanbase to get haters.

Its a terrible deal.

You'll be paying Joe Johnson $90 Million as he gradually continues to decline.

shep33
The Nets still owe JJ $90 mill

rurichie
07-03-2012, 11:10 AM
This is a bad title for thread but I'm amazed this is possible?

StarvingKnick22
no one cares or hates the Nets. the Nets spread those rumors. if they suck this year, im really gonna roll on the floor laughing. plus Humpries and Lopez are RFA and wont agree to be traded to the Magic.

LTBaByyy
That's a cool story bro.

The situation is you traded the whole rest of the roster

If Deron and Lopez signs, they have 5 guys at 60 million!

The bench is going to be worse than Heat

G-Menfan4lyfe
07-03-2012, 11:11 AM
I still think LeBron, Wade and Bosh > D12, D-Will and JJ.

Not only that but the Heat are going into their 3rd season with this lineup, building chemistry and now they get the MLE to use.

If NJ secures Dwight, they still have to fill out the rest of the roster with scrubs. Not sure thats gonna work well for them.

marj987
I hope so!

Prime example of my last post.

StinkEye
There's no such thing a Nets hater.

aussie
07-03-2012, 11:12 AM
lol they can go for Dwight, there core 4 is all they'll have as the other Nets players will more then likely be turrible! they have like 7M to spend in FA

G-Menfan4lyfe
07-03-2012, 11:13 AM
no one cares or hates the Nets. the Nets spread those rumors. if they suck this year, im really gonna roll on the floor laughing. plus Humpries and Lopez are RFA and wont agree to be traded to the Magic.

I'd say it depends on the $ they get whether they sign or not. If they get what they want, they'll definitely sign.

justinnum1
07-03-2012, 11:14 AM
I still think LeBron, Wade and Bosh > D12, D-Will and JJ.

Not only that but the Heat are going into their 3rd season with this lineup, building chemistry and now they get the MLE to use.

If NJ secures Dwight, they still have to fill out the rest of the roster with scrubs. Not sure thats gonna work well for them.

we get the mini mle, and based on players getting overpaid miami might not be able to get a whole lot for 3mil per year

teddygreen17
07-03-2012, 11:15 AM
"ESPN NBA Insider Chris Broussard says if the Nets land Joe Johnson, they'll pass on Dwight Howard. " http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/story/_/id/8124182/brooklyn-nets-agree-trade-atlanta-hawks-joe-johnson-sources-say

This is why I posted this. For those people who think that Dwight CAN'T or won't end up a Net is ridiculous.

LTBaByyy
07-03-2012, 11:15 AM
If Deron and Lopez sign the team will look like

D Will 20 mil
JJ 20 mil
Wallace 10 mil
Vet minimum
Lopez 10 mil

Brooks
Green
Tyshawn Taylor
D league
D league
D league
Vet minimum
D league
Vet minimum
Vet minimun

Very scary squad :laugh:

yanks19791024
07-03-2012, 11:16 AM
Who cares? And no one hates the Nets the fans on this website are just annoying as hell.

What all 5 of them. It will be like all the so called Heat fans we had all 4 of them to the big 3 came out, then we had over 4.6 mill of them...

B'sCeltsPatsSox
07-03-2012, 11:17 AM
So I guess I was right yesterday. I still see Dwight going there.

D Will 20 mil
JJ 20 mil
Wallace 10 mil
Vet minimum
Lopez 10 mil

Brooks
Green
Tyshawn Taylor
D league
D league
D league
Vet minimum
D league
Vet minimum
Vet minimun

I would also add Kidd in there. Players like Rashard Lewis will take vet minimum. They'll get AK 47. K-Mart, Reggie Evans may take the minimum to play there as well. This is assuming that Dwight's there as well.

Anyways I can tell that you're mad about Deron.

Ill21
07-03-2012, 11:19 AM
Lol, who hates on the nets? I would much rather have Amare's contract than Joe Johnson. They still owe him 90 mil. Have fun with the luxury tax :)

Ill21
07-03-2012, 11:20 AM

D Will 20 mil
JJ 20 mil
Wallace 10 mil
Vet minimum
Lopez 10 mil

Brooks
Green
Tyshawn Taylor
D league
D league
D league
Vet minimum
D league
Vet minimum
Vet minimun

Championship contender :rolleyes:

bholly
"ESPN NBA Insider Chris Broussard says if the Nets land Joe Johnson, they'll pass on Dwight Howard. " http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/story/_/id/8124182/brooklyn-nets-agree-trade-atlanta-hawks-joe-johnson-sources-say

This is why I posted this. For those people who think that Dwight CAN'T or won't end up a Net is ridiculous.

Well, fair enough. Although that article even said they stayed over the cap the whole time. More importantly, it's a day or two late. If you go over to the other Dwight thread going on now, everyone knows that the Nets are over the cap - the problem is that if they get Dwight they'll be so far over they can't add anyone around them.

GREATNESS ONE
I hate the Nets!!! I always have and always will!!!

koreancabbage
07-03-2012, 11:22 AM
no one hates the Nets lol its the fans ;) a

and hate is a strong word, more like annoyed hehe

beardown78
07-03-2012, 11:41 AM
Add Dwight to the mix and that makes an already scary squad scarier. I'll do the JJ trade 10 times outta 10 and if Deron resigns that's A championship caliber team. Who cares what JJ makes he's not declining and still hits very big time shots and now teamed with a top flight pg watch out. As A Bulls fan this worries me

JerseyPalahniuk
07-03-2012, 11:44 AM
I'm not sure what annoying Nets fans you guys are talking about? There are 2 or 3 I can name and I'm sure you guys know which ones haha but a majority are rational. Anytime anyone posts a thread about the Nets and any transaction they are involved in the thread is FILLED with hateful comments: check out the Mirza, Joe Johnson thread.

Ever since Dwill was traded people started bashing on the Nets "oh no he won't sign back for sure, awful trade" When Gerald Wallace was traded (which I have agreed was a bad trade but I think it turned out not too bad, would much rather have Wallace than Barnes) everyone said he would be awful. If you watched a single Nets game (I dont think 90% of you have this season unless your team was playing them), then you wouldve known the impact Gerald had on the defensive end as a captain. No this did not translate in wins in the 16 games Wallace played (6-10) but we improved defensively as a TEAM from after the trade and finally found ourselves a defensive captain for the future.

When Gwallace opted out, again the thread was filled with bashing saying he won't resign. Joe Johnson thread again was almost all bashing at the move made. If you want actual insight from the rationale please read this post: http://www.netsdaily.com/2012/7/3/3134254/joe-johnson-trade-analysis-101#storyjump We gave up some of our trash in return for a 6-time all star. Yes his contract is terrible but the Nets have been just as bad the last years. We NEEDED a change to move to Brooklyn. The Deron/Johnson/Wallace back 3 will be one of the best in the NBA and will free up Lopez to work down in the post. Our BACKUP to those 3 mentioned will most likely be Jason Kidd, Marshon Brooks, and Gerald Green. Again pretty good for backups. We need to fill out the rest of our roster by focusing on the front court now and have the $5 MLE to sign a good player that I think we'll be using on Mirza. Time will tell but this Nets team will finally be relevant after 5 long years since the Kidd era.

torocan
07-03-2012, 11:47 AM
Erm, who hates the Nets?

If anything, I feel sympathy for them given the way Dwight has dicked them around all year. I feel the same for the Magic.

Prima Donna makes everyone miserable... news at 11.

Nothing to see here...

ldawg
07-03-2012, 11:49 AM
who the hell are the Nets get out of here who cares. Net haters..bwaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh

LTBaByyy
07-03-2012, 11:50 AM
AK47 = Humphries

Its basically the same team as last year with a better SG and even worse bench

Deron
JJ
Wallace
AK47
Lopez

Props to Nets if they get Deron but with the roster above I see 7th seed at best

Heat Celtics Knicks Pacers Bulls Magic (If Dwight stays) and Wizards might be real good this year, are the teams I see ahead of the roster above

Fresno
07-03-2012, 11:52 AM
Worst bench in the NBA.

JerseyPalahniuk
07-03-2012, 11:53 AM
AK47 = Humphries

Its basically the same team as last year with a better SG and even worse bench

Deron
JJ
Wallace
AK47
Lopez

Now this is an example of the complete ignorance I've seen with the Nets "haters". Lopez played FIVE games. Wallace played 15 games. Are you kidding me? Our starting center was Shelden Williams. Before Wallace our starting 3 was DeShawn Stevenson and D-league players. And AK and the Nets have not even begun talking yet.. everything is on hold till Deron's decision

Netslunatic76
07-03-2012, 11:56 AM
You guys are hilarious.

How are Nets fans annoying? There's like 20 on the entire site. Because of DoMeFavors? That dudes a clown.

The Nets have no haters? There are a dozen people that have posted in this thread(mainly Knick fans) that are praying on their downfall/failure of the Nets this upcoming season. For what reason? They suck, so none? That makes you a hater.

LTBaByyy
07-03-2012, 11:56 AM
Nets fans are banking on Lopez being a superstar

They always go to that excuse, he was healthy when they y still had horrible records

Netslunatic76
07-03-2012, 11:58 AM
Prime example of my last post.

:rolleyes: How?

kobebabe
07-03-2012, 12:00 PM
They have Haters???? Now that's News! The other crap is old stories...thanks for the news

LTBaByyy
07-03-2012, 12:00 PM
Waiting for WaveyCrockett, Jmoney85376 or whatever, and DoMeFavors to come in here and start an argument

I swear they are brothers, you can't have 1 opinion about the Nets with them or they will attack hahaha

JerseyPalahniuk
07-03-2012, 12:03 PM
Nets fans are banking on Lopez being a superstar

They always go to that excuse, he was healthy when they y still had horrible records

dude why do you keep generalizing Nets fans? Just respond to my post. Yes we had a terrible roster when Lopez was healthy. After Kidd left we've been terrible. Lopez was the silver lining in those years. When Dwill came we had a chance to become decent before he came down with the injury. He is in no way a superstar (IMO only 5-8 players could maybe get that designation) but will be an All-Star caliber player

IIISSKiLL
07-03-2012, 12:06 PM
so if d12 signs does that mean everyone is cheering for miami to win it all ?

Hellcrooner
07-03-2012, 12:06 PM
wait, there are Nets haters?

There will be after this summer. Like all those heat haters that appeared out of nowhere in 2010.

I mean, apparently is a great sin to have a FO with a plan that ends up getting you a big three.

:rolleyes:

Oh and in nets case its a Big FOUR with G wallace, and a more balanced roster than Heat , people is going to hate the Nets Dinasty like crazy.

Fresno
07-03-2012, 12:07 PM
So I guess I was right yesterday. I still see Dwight going there.

I would also add Kidd in there. Players like Rashard Lewis will take vet minimum. They'll get AK 47. K-Mart, Reggie Evans may take the minimum to play there as well. This is assuming that Dwight's there as well.

Anyways I can tell that you're mad about Deron.

You're delusional. Absolutely delusional.

Miami assembled the bench they did because Pat Riley worked every loophole in the old CBA. He was able to give Miller, Haslem, & Anthony market value offers without them taking some massive "sacrifice" to stay in Miami. Miller had a 3/$27 Million deal on the table from the Clippers and got 5/$32 Million to be in Miami, with his injury history he still has 3 more years worth of salary he'll get. Then he made sure he kept his own role players after getting The Big 3 signed.

The Nets don't have any sort of room to do such deals.

- Andrei Kirilenko is not coming to play for $2 Million. He makes more in Europe, and Utah never renounced his cap hold. That means Utah can Sign & Trade AK47 elsewhere if he's able to secure a deal slightly over the MLE at maybe $6-7 Million per year.

- Rashard Lewis, Kenyon Martin, & Reggie Evans are not going to Brooklyn with better offers financially on the table. This isn't as if the Nets are suddenly the "new Miami Heat" where they just assembled 2 of the 3 best players in the league in South Beach. This is still most likely a 3rd or 4th seed in the Eastern Conference depending on the health of Rose and how many more bench pieces the Celtics can assemble.

Some players may make "sacrifices" to join the Nets, but they aren't going to be of the FA value of the players you mentioned. I think we'll most likely see some veterans along with them signing their Summer League players like Al Thornton, Julian Wright, and maybe another player with NBA experience.

Netslunatic76
07-03-2012, 12:08 PM
I don't understand why there is no much hate for a team that has been bad for so long.

JOhnnyTHaJet
07-03-2012, 12:08 PM
I like how many of you call Nets fans annoying when really its a few posters that just act plain dumb. The rest of the Nets fans I know of on this site are quite intellectual.

BrooklynBornKid
07-03-2012, 12:09 PM
If they get d12 look out
Dwill
JJ
Crash
Teletovic ?
D12

Jkidd
G. Green

I'm a Knicks fam but that team IMO is serious
The best center
Top 5 point
6 time allstar sg
A do it all sf
A stretch 4
Vet point of the bench
They put that together they can surpass team like the bulls and be a rival 2 heat

Fresno
07-03-2012, 12:10 PM
There will be after this summer. Like all those heat haters that appeared out of nowhere in 2010.

I mean, apparently is a great sin to have a FO with a plan that ends up getting you a big three.

:rolleyes:

Oh and in nets case its a Big FOUR with G wallace, and a more balanced roster than Heat , people is going to hate the Nets Dinasty like crazy.

There were Heat haters because people absolutely hated how the best player in the NBA in LeBron shocked the world by going to Miami to be a "2nd option" with Wade as the Face of the Franchise.

Nobody saw that coming. A lot of people on here thought Wade was going to go to the Bulls after Amare turned down the Heats offer and then Wade immediately went to speak with Chicago's management about a possible deal.

Next thing you know Wade + Bosh and then LeBron joins them.

sep11ie
07-03-2012, 12:10 PM
Who hates the Nets? That's like picking on a ******** kid...

The goods
07-03-2012, 12:11 PM
Hahaha the nets have haters? Hating the nets is like hating the clippers why hate them when you can hate the Knicks and lakers, you know... Teams worth hating.
But I like the nets and hope they keep D.will

JerseyPalahniuk
You're delusional. Absolutely delusional.

Miami assembled the bench they did because Pat Riley worked every loophole in the old CBA. He was able to give Miller, Haslem, & Anthony market value offers without them taking some massive "sacrifice" to stay in Miami. Miller had a 3/$27 Million deal on the table from the Clippers and got 5/$32 Million to be in Miami, with his injury history he still has 3 more years worth of salary he'll get. Then he made sure he kept his own role players after getting The Big 3 signed.

The Nets don't have any sort of room to do such deals.

- Andrei Kirilenko is not coming to play for $2 Million. He makes more in Europe, and Utah never renounced his cap hold. That means Utah can Sign & Trade AK47 elsewhere if he's able to secure a deal slightly over the MLE at maybe $6-7 Million per year.

- Rashard Lewis, Kenyon Martin, & Reggie Evans are not going to Brooklyn with better offers financially on the table. This isn't as if the Nets are suddenly the "new Miami Heat" where they just assembled 2 of the 3 best players in the league in South Beach. This is still most likely a 3rd or 4th seed in the Eastern Conference depending on the health of Rose and how many more bench pieces the Celtics can assemble.

Some players may make "sacrifices" to join the Nets, but they aren't going to be of the FA value of the players you mentioned. I think we'll most likely see some veterans along with them signing their Summer League players like Al Thornton, Julian Wright, and maybe another player with NBA experience.

I completely agree that a team needs to establish a winning reputation before veterans will sign for cheap, especially after being terrible the year before. Some may bring up that Clippers and Knicks were not good before JR smith, Kenyon Martin etc joined them but the Knicks had made the playoffs year before and Clippers were looking to close in. I think the Nets will attract these type of role players NEXT offseason pending on our record this year

Netslunatic76
I like how many of you call Nets fans annoying when really its a few posters that just act plain dumb. The rest of the Nets fans I know of on this site are quite intellectual.

It so obvious some of these "Nets fans" are actually trolls, but people keep responding to them anyway.

JerseyPalahniuk
07-03-2012, 12:12 PM
Who hates the Nets? That's like picking on a ******** kid...

How ironic

Hellcrooner
07-03-2012, 12:12 PM
Seriously, except for Domefavors whaht have nets fan done?

My fellow Laker fans ( specially the ones that in reality are KOBE fansm) are 1000% more anoying.
Knicks? Bulls? much more annoying than nets.
Heat BANDWAGGONERS (not the fans that were here in psd before the decision)? Much much more annoying.

And basically every team in nba has his domefavours here in psd.

JerseyPalahniuk
07-03-2012, 12:14 PM
Seriously, except for Domefavors whaht have nets fan done?

My fellow Laker fans ( specially the ones that in reality are KOBE fansm) are 1000% more anoying.
Knicks? Bulls? much more annoying than nets.
Heat BANDWAGGONERS (not the fans that were here in psd before the decision)? Much much more annoying.

And basically every team in nba has his domefavours here in psd.

I'm not a big fan of one word posts but:

This.

LTBaByyy
07-03-2012, 12:15 PM
DoMeFavors
JohnnythaJet
JMoney853849
Naps
WaveyCrockett

Is the troll line up!!

The goods
07-03-2012, 12:16 PM
People hate the heat because the fake bandwagon fans get on here and act like they can beat Jesus with that u mad B.S. chant they have,you can spot a real fan because they aren't ignorant when their team finally makes good moves and they aren't claiming to have imaginary haters.

Young2Kinsler
07-03-2012, 12:17 PM
DoMeFavors
JohnnythaJet
JMoney853849
Naps
WaveyCrockett

Is the troll line up!!

They don't need a PF, yesterday they said they would just resign Hump. O wait but then today he is going to be agreeing to a S&T to Orlando...I'm confused. Are we genetically engineering another Hump?

Bob_at_york
07-03-2012, 12:18 PM
Thread is getting personal and not on topic.