PDA

View Full Version : Is Magic front office silly for swapping places with the Nets?

ldawg
07-03-2012, 07:40 AM
Why would Orlando trade Howard in the East? I mean when you have a player like Howard and you see a team forming in your conference that you will not be able to beat why do you trade him there? That is a really silly move IMO on Magic part. They are swapping places with the nets. Nets will become a top 4 team in the East and Magic will become a bottom 4. Its Not like Nets trade is better than others.

Raps18-19 Champ
07-03-2012, 07:49 AM
Not as if they have a choice, now do they?

thenaj17
07-03-2012, 08:12 AM
Either that or lose him for nothing next year and him playing like crap all this year

aztr0
07-03-2012, 08:27 AM
What choice do they have? Let him leave for nothing? He has already stated he will only sign with the Nets. That is enough to scare off most of the teams knowing that he will not sign with whoever else that trades for him.

njnets
07-03-2012, 08:30 AM
^yea, basically that. if he refuses to sign an extension with the lakers (which is what it seems right now), the lakers wont accept a deal. the nets, the only place he will, can offer two solid big men and some picks. idk if brooks is involved in the deal. its the only way at this point to get value for him.

yes, your point makes sense but they would risk being even worse if they do not acquire anyone for him in return.

bholly
07-03-2012, 08:31 AM
They haven't done it yet. Honestly, I think the bigger problem with the deal would be that they aren't getting the best return, not where Dwight ends up. They'll be rebuilding for the next few years anyway. JJ's already 31, and they can't exactly add anyone else for foreseeable future. Even if Orlando have the perfect rebuild by bottoming out and lucking into a superstar in the draft, best case scenario they're contending in 4 or 5 years, at which point Brooklyn are quite a bit older (Wallace 33-34, Johnson 35-36, Howard 30-31, Williams 32-33), so it's not like their times are going to overlap a whole lot.

bholly
07-03-2012, 08:33 AM
^yea, basically that. if he refuses to sign an extension with the lakers (which is what it seems right now), the lakers wont accept a deal. the nets, the only place he will, can offer two solid big men and some picks. idk if brooks is involved in the deal. its the only way at this point to get value for him.

yes, your point makes sense but they would risk being even worse if they do not acquire anyone for him in return.

No it isn't. Plenty of teams (Atlanta and Houston come to mind) would offer better value than Hump + Lopez, likely even without a signature.

Convincing people on here isn't going to make anything anymore true, so just discuss things honestly man.

njnets
07-03-2012, 08:36 AM
No it isn't. Plenty of teams (Atlanta and Houston come to mind) would offer better value than Hump + Lopez, likely even without a signature.

Convincing people on here isn't going to make anything anymore true, so just discuss things honestly man.

they can offer more value, but would those franchises be willing to trade for him just for one year without a commitment? thats the main point of my argument. i dont see any franchise accepting a deal without him inking a deal. if he does, then yes, lakers, rockets, and hawks can offer better. but if nobody can get him to a long term deal, the nets are going to be the only ones, i would assume, to offer up. i wouldnt want a rental dwight. it would be too expensive and not smart because you would trade assets that could be used in the future.

koreancabbage
07-03-2012, 08:36 AM
trade him to a team in the west who's offering 1-2 young pieces. it seems they won't be getting much and they surely have to trade him before the season starts as he won't be resigning most likely.

Harden and Ibaka for Dwight is the most logical trade for both teams. Don't know if OKC will do that as they are a smaller market and will obviously be afraid of Dwight leaving but this almost guarantees you a championship next year or a trip right back to the finals - enough to convince Dwight to come back hopefully.

D-Block21-Chito
07-03-2012, 08:37 AM
If this happens there salary would be close to 70 mil with 4 people on the roster haha

koreancabbage
07-03-2012, 08:47 AM
Orlando is pretty dumb for to trade Marshon Brooks and Brook Lopez however. thats not enough for a superstar player. an allstar for a few non-stars is a horrible trade.

Hibbert (if he stays with Indiana), Monroe, Chandler are all better centers right now than Brook Lopez LOL hence, Lopez is not an allstar.

bholly
07-03-2012, 09:04 AM
they can offer more value, but would those franchises be willing to trade for him just for one year without a commitment? thats the main point of my argument. i dont see any franchise accepting a deal without him inking a deal. if he does, then yes, lakers, rockets, and hawks can offer better. but if nobody can get him to a long term deal, the nets are going to be the only ones, i would assume, to offer up. i wouldnt want a rental dwight. it would be too expensive and not smart because you would trade assets that could be used in the future.

Houston were very widely reported to be willing to take a rental, and that was before the Nets ruled themselves out of signing him as a FA, so I think they'd still be keen.

Between Lowry, Martin (and his expiring), Scola, young guys like Patterson and Morris, all this year's draft picks (Lamb, White, Jones), rights to Motiejunas, and enough cap room to take back Hedo - I'm pretty sure they have the assets to put together a better package than the Nets if they wanted to.

Atlanta, too, with Teague and either Horford or Smith, and they especially would like their chance of keeping him given it's his home town.

GrumpyOldMan
07-03-2012, 09:09 AM
Assuming The Nets sign Wallace, Johnson and Williams and still have to fill out the rest of the roster, how much cap room would they have left? I'm just asking this because if Dwight becomes a freeagent next season will the Nets even be able to afford him? If they can't then Dwight loses a lot of leverage and will have to expand his destination list. I wouldn't rush into a trade just yet if I'm with the Magic.

Whomewhome
07-03-2012, 09:18 AM
This is extremely complicate and probably the most complicated trade (if it happens) ever. I do think that the Magic screwed themselves. They had a great offer in March and rejected it. Everyone keeps saying you can't get equal value for a superstar and they are right, but you take the best you get. Look at Utah. They jumped when we offered them 2 picks, Favors and Devin Harris.

Now Orlando is sort of cornered and in desperation mode...

Whomewhome
07-03-2012, 09:19 AM
Assuming The Nets sign Wallace, Johnson and Williams and still have to fill out the rest of the roster, how much cap room would they have left? I'm just asking this because if Dwight becomes a freeagent next season will the Nets even be able to afford him? If they can't then Dwight loses a lot of leverage and will have to expand his destination list. I wouldn't rush into a trade just yet if I'm with the Magic.
Yes they would own his bird rights, and Proky has come out and said he is willing to pay luxury tax to keep his promise of a championship by 2015!

GrumpyOldMan
07-03-2012, 09:22 AM
Yes they would own his bird rights, and Proky has come out and said he is willing to pay luxury tax to keep his promise of a championship by 2015!

but the Nets can only own his Bird rights if the Magic give Dwight what he wants. The Nets wouldn't be able to afford him if the Magic want to trade him elsewhere or trade him correct?

justinnum1
07-03-2012, 09:22 AM
trade him to a team in the west who's offering 1-2 young pieces. it seems they won't be getting much and they surely have to trade him before the season starts as he won't be resigning most likely.

Harden and Ibaka for Dwight is the most logical trade for both teams. Don't know if OKC will do that as they are a smaller market and will obviously be afraid of Dwight leaving but this almost guarantees you a championship next year or a trip right back to the finals - enough to convince Dwight to come back hopefully.

why would okc do that when all it might take is brook lopez and marshon brooks...

RLundi
07-03-2012, 09:41 AM
I don't think Orlando settles for Brooklyn's garbage. If Dwight gets traded, he has no choice but to strongly consider whoever trades for him as his team long-term because Brooklyn will be out of the running. Call Dwight's bluff; there's no better time to do that then right now. He is literally out of options now.

LA_Raiders
07-03-2012, 10:41 AM
Keep him for a year, then lose him for nothing and stern will give them the 1st pick of 2013...

koreancabbage
07-03-2012, 10:44 AM
why would okc do that when all it might take is brook lopez and marshon brooks...

well i hope they don't.... cuz thats ridiculous. Its obvious that OKC should make a run at Dwight.

Cuz Orlando doesn't REALLY want to do the trade with the Nets and I think they are just waiting for other teams and see their offers

justinnum1
07-03-2012, 10:48 AM
well i hope they don't.... cuz thats ridiculous. Its obvious that OKC should make a run at Dwight.

Cuz Orlando doesn't REALLY want to do the trade with the Nets and I think they are just waiting for other teams and see their offers

why does okc give up anything if dwight wont sign an extension with them?

eternal slumber
07-03-2012, 10:57 AM
i think after all of this things that has happened in the past few days, Houston have increased their chances of landing and retaining Howard even if Asik comes to Houston. if Magic is just looking for the most they can get for Howard, Houston still has the best package out there. young players, draft picks, expiring contracts and able to absorb a bad contract from Orlando, Houston could still do all of those things.

G-Menfan4lyfe
07-03-2012, 11:03 AM
Just a hypothetical here folks.

All you guys who are saying Orlando should call D12's bluff and trade him elsewhere because the Nets won't be able to afford him without a S/T, Can Dwight Howard get traded to another team and then next offseason sign with the Nets for the vets minimum or MLE for 1 season, giving the Nets his Bird Rights, and then sign a max deal?

I'm not sure if that works but if it does work it could be something that Howard would do if the Magic trade him to another team.

ldawg
07-03-2012, 11:04 AM
oh MY KD, Westbrooke, Howard = pure dominance. That is a dynasty right there. Its very fuuny to me why he is so hell bent on Brooklyn. Must have heard it rains gold over there. Lets be real hear. D-will,Joe,Wallace,??,Howard is not a bad team. It Will depends on who they round them off with.

justinnum1
07-03-2012, 11:08 AM
oh MY KD, Westbrooke, Howard = pure dominance. That is a dynasty right there. Its very fuuny to me why he is so hell bent on Brooklyn. Must have heard it rains gold over there. Lets be real hear. D-will,Joe,Wallace,??,Howard is not a bad team. It Will depends on who they round them off with.

they would be in the ecf with miami and better than the knicks which is what i think porkys main goal is

Vinylman
07-03-2012, 11:11 AM
I don't think Orlando settles for Brooklyn's garbage. If Dwight gets traded, he has no choice but to strongly consider whoever trades for him as his team long-term because Brooklyn will be out of the running. Call Dwight's bluff; there's no better time to do that then right now. He is literally out of options now.

yep... especially if Dwill signs... then D12 is really ****ed because they can't pair up somewhere else....

There is no way i take that Nets package...

Brook is a good Center... not great

Marshon... give me a break we have seen this before with rookies on **** teams... regression is coming... believe me... and it won't be pretty

Humphries?... meh... overpayed pretty much but i guess ok if it gets rid of turks deal

the picks... worthless... probably no better than 22-24

No way i do this deal if i am Orlando unless the Lakers are just saying No to bynum which i doubt is the case...

Again, once the Dwill signing occurs Howard is Flucked

Vinylman
07-03-2012, 11:13 AM

All you guys who are saying Orlando should call D12's bluff and trade him elsewhere because the Nets won't be able to afford him without a S/T, Can Dwight Howard get traded to another team and then next offseason sign with the Nets for the vets minimum or MLE for 1 season, giving the Nets his Bird Rights, and then sign a max deal?
I'm not sure if that works but if it does work it could be something that Howard would do if the Magic trade him to another team.

simply put...

NO

Kidd>>>K-Mart
07-03-2012, 11:21 AM
Brooklyn!

pebloemer
07-03-2012, 11:50 AM

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q32

Question #32.

The basic idea is that a player must play for the same team for three seasons for his team to gain Bird rights (two seasons for Early Bird rights). It can be a single three-year contract, a series of three one-year contracts, or any combination that adds up to three seasons (or two for Early Bird). However there are a number of complications:
•When a player is traded, his new team inherits his Bird rights. For example, if a player signs a three-year contract, plays two and a half seasons with that team, and is traded at the trade deadline in the third season, then his new team has full Bird rights following the third season.

There is a lot more written about it in the link, but this should give you a basic answer.

If Dwight doesn't get traded to Brooklyn, the only way he can play there with DWill now is to sign for cheap. Without a trade, he is screwed. Which is why other teams may consider dealing for him. It is a lot easier to pitch for him to stay when he can't go where he wants.

Pistol_Pete
07-03-2012, 01:51 PM
Is there are teams that are willing to ren Dwight for a season, especially when he has said he WILL NOT sign with them (providing the Nets have space), that's dumb. Maybe if they needed one more piece on an aging team. Maybe. Otherwise it just doesn't make sense.

Now here's the deal. If Dwight will not sign with any other team other than the Nets, the Magic are left with few options. Sure, if someone wants to rent him, they have that option. But at this point, I don't think too many teams are going to go for that.

The Magic have to accept what the Nets give, give up Dwight for way less to someone else, or keep him on the team and let him expire. If Dwight is intent that he won't sing with anyone else, and the Nets have the space, there's really not much they can do. That's a fact.

Nikeman
07-03-2012, 01:56 PM
Merge thread

/thread :P

topdog
07-03-2012, 02:38 PM
The Magic are looking to take care of Orlando and not anybody else. I could see some leverage in talking a Nets deal even if it's just for the sake of driving up the price.

Sssmush
07-03-2012, 03:18 PM
I think we need to let this deal percolate for a couple of months, see what everybody is thinking in September...

Sssmush
07-03-2012, 03:22 PM
Plus, Howard's agents and PR team should be happy, because Howard is quickly becoming the most famous athlete in America! More famous that T.O. and Chad Ocho-Cinco combined!

Isn't one of Howard's girlfriends or something on that Hotwives of Atlanta or whatever?

Wow, this has really great potential. I agree with his management team that Howard should continue to just leak out stories about his discontent and desire to move, and to meet privately with Orlando executives. Great strategy. I'm really enjoying this. Good job. I think that public opinion is finally turning in your favor. I'm sure this won't cost Howard $100M in endorsement money. I'm absolutely sure of that, and you guys should all pat yourselves on the back and do some tequila shots. You're awesome.

netfan83
07-03-2012, 04:22 PM
The only reason I can see a rental offer from a team like the Rockets is that they would have DH's Bird rights. Even if he still is saying no to signing with them next summer, they can do a sign and trade with the Nets and get Lopez and other players and a couple of picks back.

I think the current Nets offer is decent but I can also see another team take a gamble on a rental. Not the Lakers or OKC because they would lose too much. Basically a team that needs a center and thinks Lopez is a good consolation prize if DH doesn't sign with them. Risk is that DH's back injury turns him into a much less dominant player than he was, then the Nets won't bail out the rental team.

As a Net fan, I'm happy with Dwill, JJ, Wallace, Teletovic/Hump, and Lopez.

rockbottom2010
07-03-2012, 04:29 PM
magic will get first pick of the draft next summer....truss me....first cleveland....now NOH...and next...orlando

Eg714
07-03-2012, 04:49 PM
The lakers could offer better with a 3 team deal with gasol. The magic could get a nice young player like iggy or smith. It's better than what the nets are offering. Then they could send Bynum home for dwill. Everyone's happy. With Dwill, Dwight might sign an extension. If he doesn't we still have dwill.

netfan83
07-03-2012, 04:55 PM
The lakers could offer better with a 3 team deal with gasol. The magic could get a nice young player like iggy or smith. It's better than what the nets are offering. Then they could send Bynum home for dwill. Everyone's happy. With Dwill, Dwight might sign an extension. If he doesn't we still have dwill.

No way that Nets S&T Dwill to LA, but I wouldn't mind seeing Nash, JJ, Wallace, Lopez and Bynum. Unfortunately that won't fit under the hard cap the Nets put themselves into by giving Teletovic the full MLE.