PDA

View Full Version : Kobe, LeBron lead list of nine who have secured berths on TEAM USA LONDON 2012

KB-Pau-DH2012
07-02-2012, 11:39 PM
http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/02/kobe-lebron-lead-list-of-nine-who-secured-berths-on-team-usa/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

There are no surprises — did you think Kobe Bryant or LeBron James were going to be left off the team? — but now we know nine of the 12 players who will represent the United States in the London Olympic basketball tournament.

USA Basketball president Jerry Colangelo laid it out for Chris Tomasson of Fox Sports Florida.

In a phone interview with FOX Sports Florida, Colangelo said 2008 Olympic holdovers LeBron James, Kobe Bryant, Carmelo Anthony, Chris Paul and Deron Williams are assured of being on the team in London along with 2010 World Championship holdovers Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook, Kevin Love and Tyson Chandler.

Again, no surprises there. And Colangelo said there would be no additions to the team at this point.

So there are six players left — Blake Griffin, Andre Iguodala, Rudy Gay, James Harden, Eric Gordon and Anthony Davis — fighting for three spots. While Colangelo wouldn’t rule out Davis, the fact he sprained his ankle might cost him any real chance.

Because Team USA could use more height along the front line, one of those three places almost certainly will be Griffin’s. My guess is that Harden or Gordon will get a spot as a backup two, and Iguodala or Gay will get the other spot, but coach Mike Krzyzewski has options.

The entire team will be announced in a television special on NBA TV Saturday at 7 p.m. Eastern (after just a couple days of practice). From there Team USA will keep practicing, readying for a game against the Dominican Republic — which is in Venezuela right now trying to qualify for the Games through FIBA’s second chance qualifier matching teams that just missed out in their regions — on Thursday, July 12.

As of right now:

Chris Paul
Kobe Bryant
Kevin Durant
LeBron James
Tyson Chandler

Deron Williams
Russell Westbrook
Carmelo Anthony
Kevin Love

So which 3 of the 5 do you think makes it out of Blake, Harden, Gordon, Rudy and Iggy?

Losoway
07-02-2012, 11:41 PM
blake for sure . and harden

the rest is a toss up

Bruno
Good. The two top players in the NBA since the 2004 debacle should lead the team. LeBron and Kobe should be Co-captains. maybe a third.

Lakers + Giants
Blake, Harden and Gay

KB-Pau-DH2012
07-02-2012, 11:42 PM
Good. The two top players in the NBA since the 2004 debacle should lead the team. LeBron and Kobe should be Co-captains. maybe a third.

KD, since he led us to the 2010 World Championship in Turkey.

Bruno
07-02-2012, 11:44 PM
can't wait to see this team in action. I'd like to see Love get lots of minutes hoping he makes the team. love with lbj would be bad for opponents. team use needs love to dominate the glass on this wing dominant team.

Bruno
07-02-2012, 11:44 PM
KD, since he led us to the 2010 World Championship in Turkey.

totally.

since wade and howard will be out it's gotta be LBJ Durant and Kobe.

Sssmush
07-02-2012, 11:45 PM
Blake, Gordon, Gay

KB-Pau-DH2012
07-02-2012, 11:46 PM
I think my 3 would be Blake (another big incase of injuries), Harden (Best 6th man in the biz), and Iggy (The Doberman off the bench while Kobe is the Doberman in the starting lineup).

Bruno
07-02-2012, 11:47 PM
how certain is it that chris paul is playing? i love paul and he's earned his spot but he should get healthy for the season. whats going on with his injury? you can't tell me the dude was healthy last post-season.

Bruno
07-02-2012, 11:48 PM
team USA is going to miss Wade. his void can be filled, but he found a way to be especially efficient against the other countries in the 2008 olympics. it'll be interesting to see if anyone can be that efficient for team USA in the 2012 go-round. i think durant will be the guy; they won't be able to guard him.

Clippersfan86
Blake, Gordon and Gay. Gordon>Harden. In fact on the last go Eric Gordon was team USA's defensive stopper on the perimeter according to teammates. Harden is a complete **** defender and doesn't belong on the team.

waveycrockett
If USA doesn't add size. Spain is going to kill them in the paint.

rocket
07-02-2012, 11:49 PM
Berths?

Chronz
07-02-2012, 11:49 PM
Blake, and Iggy should in. then a tough decision between harden and gordon.

Gay is a decent choice but unnecessary

Bruno
07-02-2012, 11:50 PM
If USA doesn't add size. Spain is going to kill them in the paint.

i'm liking Love/Chandler. The Gasol brothers will be able to score against Love, but nobody will out rebound a LeBron/Love/Chandler front-court.

naps
07-02-2012, 11:51 PM
BG, Iggy, and Harden.

LeBron, make the moniker of 2008 proud.

Bruno
07-02-2012, 11:51 PM
Blake, and Iggy should in. then a tough decision between harden and gordon.

Gay is a decent choice but unnecessary

i'd love iggy. save LeBrons leg. i like Gay too but he's basically Durant-lite. that role has been filled.

Bruno
07-02-2012, 11:52 PM
BG and Iggy or Harden.

LeBron, make the moniker of 2008 proud.

you had to do it.

Jint.
07-02-2012, 11:58 PM
Blake, Iggy & Harden

topdog
07-03-2012, 12:00 AM
Blake because of his size, Harden because of Gordon's free agency and I'm thinking Gay because of his size as well.

Baller1
07-03-2012, 12:04 AM
Blake, Harden, and Iggy.

LAKERMANIA
07-03-2012, 12:08 AM
Wow this team's looking good... This team would give the 1992 team some trouble..

Sactown
07-03-2012, 12:14 AM
DeMarcus Cousins!

tredigs
07-03-2012, 12:18 AM
Wow this team's looking good... This team would give the 1992 team some trouble..

Trolling? They'd get worked by that 92 roster.

The bigs in 92 were Ewing, The Admiral, Barkley and Karl Malone. This team has K. Love and Tyson Chandler.

It would get ugly. Quick.

But I still like this team.

M.Bibby2.0
07-03-2012, 12:19 AM
DeMarcus Cousins!

Seems like an obvious choice they need bigs not more wing players :punish:

MiamiBoy77
07-03-2012, 12:23 AM
Paul/ Williams
Kobe/ Westbrook/ Gordon
Durant/ Melo/ Iggy
LeBron/ Griffin
Love/ Chandler

When we need Defense we go LeBron- Iggy- Durant- Griffin- Chandler

The reason i take Gordon over Harden is because they won't play much and i think Harden has a bigger ego

ABOMB_56
07-03-2012, 12:38 AM
Paul/ Williams
Kobe/ Westbrook/ Gordon
Durant/ Melo/ Iggy
LeBron/ Griffin
Love/ Chandler

The reason i take Gordon over Harden is because they won't play much and i think Harden has a bigger ego

That's your defensive line-up?

I'd go

Paul-Kobe-Iggy-LBJ-Chandler

naps
07-03-2012, 12:41 AM
you had to do it.

Haha...paying a little tribute to the Olympic MVP of 2008. But I am sure these boys will make him proud.

Bruno
07-03-2012, 12:41 AM

The bigs in 92 were Ewing, The Admiral, Barkley and Karl Malone. This team has K. Love and Tyson Chandler.

did you watch the documentary? i thought it was interesting how that team was notoriously bad a guarding small quick guards. it'd be interesting to see what Westbrook or a healthy Rose could do against that defense.

KB-Pau-DH2012
07-03-2012, 12:43 AM
Haha...paying a little tribute to the Olympic MVP of 2008. But I am sure these boys will make him proud.

You mean our best defensive player and Gold medal clutch guy and Kidd's co-cap Kobe and our leading scorer despite coming off the bench in Wade? :confused:

LAKERMANIA
07-03-2012, 01:07 AM

I didn't say they could beat them, I just said they would give them trouble..

Plus who wouldnt want to see Magic Jordan Bird vs. Kobe Lebron and Durant :nod:

TylerSL
07-03-2012, 01:16 AM
PG.CP3/D-Will/Westbrook
SG.Kobe/Harden
SF.Durant/Melo/Iguodala
PF.Lebron/Griffin
C.Love/Chandler

Book it.

nicegoing
07-03-2012, 01:17 AM
Blake Iggy and Gordon

Baller1
07-03-2012, 01:40 AM
PG.CP3/D-Will/Westbrook
SG.Kobe/Harden
SF.Durant/Melo/Iguodala
PF.Lebron/Griffin
C.Love/Chandler

Book it.

Agreed, looks solid to me.

nicegoing
07-03-2012, 01:41 AM
I think Gordon should get it cause he did so well in FIBA.

b@llhog24
07-03-2012, 01:43 AM
http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/02/kobe-lebron-lead-list-of-nine-who-secured-berths-on-team-usa/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

As of right now:

Chris Paul
Kobe Bryant
Kevin Durant
LeBron James
Tyson Chandler

Deron Williams
Russell Westbrook
Carmelo Anthony
Kevin Love

So which 3 of the 5 do you think makes it out of Blake, Harden, Gordon, Rudy and Iggy?

Gordon
Iggy
Harden

thechom80
07-03-2012, 03:20 AM
Love might just have a 40 rebound game in this tournament. lol

Ebbs
07-03-2012, 04:42 AM
Blake, Gordon, Iggy

naps
07-03-2012, 05:12 AM
You mean our best defensive player and Gold medal clutch guy and Kidd's co-cap Kobe and our leading scorer despite coming off the bench in Wade? :confused:

I dunno man.

At the 2008 Olympics, the United States went unbeaten and earned gold medal honors, defeating the 2006 World Champion Spain in the final game. Wade led the team in scoring throughout the tournament and tallied a game high 27 points in 27 minutes on 75% field goal shooting and added 4 steals, 2 assists and 2 rebounds in the game.[85] For the tournament, he averaged a team high 16 points in 18 minutes on 67% field goal shooting, 4 rebounds, 2 assists and 2.3 steals, as the United States lived up to their Redeem Team moniker and captured gold medal honors for the first time since 2000.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dwyane_Wade

Whatever guy they are talking about here.

StarvingKnick22
07-03-2012, 08:47 AM
Blake,harden,Iggy

StarvingKnick22
07-03-2012, 08:48 AM
PG.CP3/D-Will/Westbrook
SG.Kobe/Harden
SF.Durant/Melo/Iguodala
PF.Lebron/Griffin
C.Love/Chandler

Book it.
chandler is starting over Love

natelpete
07-03-2012, 08:54 AM
chandler is starting over Love

You must be drunk

Hawkeye15
07-03-2012, 08:55 AM
as much as Blake's outside shooting and poor free throw shooting bothers me for FIBA, he has to be included, as does Iggy as our lockdown defender along with Bron. I think Harden is the last selection. Gordon we don't know how healthy he is, and Gay's skillset has already been replaced by multiple players.

Hawkeye15
07-03-2012, 08:57 AM
You must be drunk

He will start over Love. Much better defensive presence. Love will get minutes, don't worry Wolves fans. Anytime you have a big man who can hit three's, draw fouls, and control the boards, he will get minutes.

njnets
07-03-2012, 08:57 AM
PG.CP3/D-Will/Westbrook
SG.Kobe/Harden
SF.Durant/Melo/Iguodala
PF.Lebron/Griffin
C.Love/Chandler

Book it.

Yep

Why isn't rondo an option??? Anyone know why?

Just saw the C problem. Chandler will start. Only tweak I have

Raps18-19 Champ
07-03-2012, 09:05 AM
Blake, Iggy and Harden/Gay. Gay is the better choice IMO.

Hawkeye15
07-03-2012, 09:05 AM
Yep

Why isn't rondo an option??? Anyone know why?

Just saw the C problem. Chandler will start. Only tweak I have

Rondo left under weird terms 2 years ago, I think that he simply isn't needed with other PG's there who can make midrange shots. In FIBA, Rondo's weaknesses would be amplified to some degree. Why bother when we can just send CP3, and Deron?

Hawkeye15
07-03-2012, 09:06 AM
Blake, Iggy and Harden/Gay. Gay is the better choice IMO.

Melo/Durant replace anything Gay can possibly give us.

MrlooktheFup
07-03-2012, 09:28 AM

As of right now:

Chris Paul
Kobe Bryant
Kevin Durant
LeBron James
Tyson Chandler

Deron Williams
Russell Westbrook
Carmelo Anthony
Kevin Love

I would have to think harden gets a spot along side griffin and maybe iggy.

-Iggy brings more athleticism at the 2/3 and great defense.
-Harden seems like he could fit the bench nicely coming off for Kobe
-Griffin would be a nice weapon coming off the bench a big who can run and out maneuver any other countries players with ease

But honestly who is going to compete with the US this year anyway. The team is far to athletic and holds so much versatility and length.

kobebabe
07-03-2012, 09:36 AM
Blake, iggy and Gordon is the way to go. Gordon is not only a sharp shooter that will kill it from the 3 but also a very good defender. Harden is not very reliable as a defender and can also disappear as a shooter like we saw in the finals. So Gordon over harden any day!

koreancabbage
07-03-2012, 09:37 AM
blake for sure, they need another big upfront off of the bench.

phlp_bj
07-03-2012, 09:56 AM
i'm guessing it'll be blake, harden, and iggy/gay. gordon has FA decisions to make so he'll probably bow out

TheNumber37
07-03-2012, 10:11 AM
Harden, Blake and Iggy over Gay cause he is a better defender, passer and more complimentary.

NYKnickFanatic
07-03-2012, 10:28 AM
totally.

since wade and howard will be out it's gotta be LBJ Durant and Kobe.

I guess people forgot about Carmelo back then.

NYKnickFanatic
07-03-2012, 10:30 AM
Paul/ Williams
Kobe/ Westbrook/ Gordon
Durant/ Melo/ Iggy
LeBron/ Griffin
Love/ Chandler

Silly boy, Chandler will be starting.

Hawkeye15
07-03-2012, 10:50 AM

serious question. Do you care if Chandler starts or not, or are you making this post as a Knicks fan versus a U.S. fan?

I will never get why people have to be a homer even when it comes to Team USA.

Baller1
07-03-2012, 10:57 AM
serious question. Do you care if Chandler starts or not, or are you making this post as a Knicks fan versus a U.S. fan?

Haha, so true.

NYKnickFanatic
07-03-2012, 10:58 AM

Im not being a homer at all, but I just dont see how Chandler wouldnt start. If Chandler was still on the Mavs, I would expect him to be starting. The defensive intensity he brings, with him and LeBron they can lock it down, then bring in Love for some firepower off the bench.

Im far from a homer, trust me.

And no, I dont care if Chandler is starting, I just expect him too.

EDIT: Now I see why you asked me that, I forgot you are a Wolves fan and love Love. I have nothing against him, Im not being a homer. But I think we would be better off starting with defense and bring in players off the bench for offense. Just my opinion though.

MiamiBoy77
07-03-2012, 10:58 AM

First off don't call me "boy".

Second, if you wanna have a serious debate as to why TChand should be starting, then great, but I'm sick of people who just think their opinion is right just because.

So here's my reason for Love. OUR (notice I'm saying our team, not my team, our team. We don't play for the Knicks or heat, we're defending our country) team has so much offense in the second unit Williams, RW, Melo, Griff, I think Chand would be a good compliment to those guys. While Love can compliment a guy like LeBron well because LeBron will be more towards the basket.

It's not me saying Love is better, or taking a shot at the knicks, I just think TChand compliments the second team better.

Again this is a forum, people have different opinions, so let's debate it if u think I'm wrong, but "boy" is not a correct argument.

NYKnickFanatic
07-03-2012, 11:10 AM

Second, if you wanna have a serious debate as to why TChand should be starting, then great, but I'm sick of people who just think their opinion is right just because.

So here's my reason for Love. OUR (notice I'm saying our team, not my team, our team. We don't play for the Knicks or heat, we're defending our country) team has so much offense in the second unit Williams, RW, Melo, Griff, I think Chand would be a good compliment to those guys. While Love can compliment a guy like LeBron well because LeBron will be more towards the basket.

It's not me saying Love is better, or taking a shot at the knicks, I just think TChand compliments the second team better.

Again this is a forum, people have different opinions, so let's debate it if u think I'm wrong, but "boy" is not a correct argument.

Well I already stated why Chandler would be better starting and Love would be better off the bench above. So I guess we just have different opinions which is fine. You cant be wrong about your own opinion, so thats that.

And Love is better than Chandler, not defensively, but overall yes.

Also, I dont know if you know this, but your username is "MiamiBoy77", that is why I called you boy.

Once again, I am not a homer.

Hawkeye15
07-03-2012, 11:11 AM
Im not being a homer at all, but I just dont see how Chandler wouldnt start. If Chandler was still on the Mavs, I would expect him to be starting. The defensive intensity he brings, with him and LeBron they can lock it down, then bring in Love for some firepower off the bench.

Im far from a homer, trust me.

And no, I dont care if Chandler is starting, I just expect him too.

EDIT: Now I see why you asked me that, I forgot you are a Wolves fan and love Love. I have nothing against him, Im not being a homer. But I think we would be better off starting with defense and bring in players off the bench for offense. Just my opinion though.

Check my post above, I agreed Chandler should probably start, he has a much tougher defensive presence.

I was simply curious as to the reply you gave to another poster. Seemed as if you were taking the Knicks stance versus Team USA stance. I have had a couple mini-arguments with Wolves fans on why he won't start. I get it, he is the best PF in the game. But he isn't a top 2 forward, and Bron can slide to PF, so he doesn't need to start, just board it and hit 3's when he is in.

Hawkeye15
07-03-2012, 11:12 AM

Uh, Love is BETTER than Chandler, but that isn't the point. Sorry, just had to interject that.

NYKnickFanatic
07-03-2012, 11:13 AM
Check my post above, I agreed Chandler should probably start, he has a much tougher defensive presence.

I was simply curious as to the reply you gave to another poster. Seemed as if you were taking the Knicks stance versus Team USA stance. I have had a couple mini-arguments with Wolves fans on why he won't start. I get it, he is the best PF in the game. But he isn't a top 2 forward, and Bron can slide to PF, so he doesn't need to start, just board it and hit 3's when he is in.

Gotcha. I dont care if Knicks players start or even play for that matter. As long as Team USA brings home that gold, thats all that matters. Im not one of those Knicks fans.

Hawkeye15
07-03-2012, 11:16 AM
Gotcha. I dont care if Knicks players start or even play for that matter. As long as Team USA brings home that gold, thats all that matters. Im not one of those Knicks fans.

dude, its far more than being a Knicks fan, doesn't matter which team haha. Like I said, I have had little debates with Wolves fans on Love's role. Some of them think he should get 30 minutes and play a lead role. Dudes, LeBron, Durant, and a few others are MUCH better players right now. Love is there for a complementary player to hit the boards, draw fouls, and hit open bombs. Not to take over at any point.

MiamiBoy77
07-03-2012, 11:19 AM
I just think Loves shooting and rebounding would be much better with the 1st team and would help them space the floor, while with Chandler things may be too clogged Or stagnant. Also, it doesn't matter because both will probably start as we've seen Coach K utilize different starting lineups. It will be based on matchups. The crazy thing is, there could be times when this is our lineup:

LeBron
Durant
Melo
Love
Chandler

Dee_Edge
07-03-2012, 11:24 AM
I'd take Blake, Rudy Gay, and Iggy...all 3 can play the 4...Blake could even play a 5

ManningToTyree
07-03-2012, 11:24 AM
Blake, Harden, Iggy

Dee_Edge
07-03-2012, 11:28 AM
...Iggy surprised me with his power forward play last time...he deserves to go...not many can play...2-3-4...hell I've even seen him run an offense.

Hawkeye15
07-03-2012, 11:29 AM
I just think Loves shooting and rebounding would be much better with the 1st team and would help them space the floor, while with Chandler things may be too clogged Or stagnant. Also, it doesn't matter because both will probably start as we've seen Coach K utilize different starting lineups. It will be based on matchups. The crazy thing is, there could be times when this is our lineup:

LeBron
Durant
Melo
Love
Chandler

I agree, we may see a couple different starting lineups, but there is also something to be said of consistency.

Anyways, I just think Chandler starts. He would if I were coaching. Don't let teams get easy baskets early, try blocking some shots and get out in transition, bring in Love for a nice change of pace where their big won't be used to closing on our center shooting bombs.

Dee_Edge
07-03-2012, 11:36 AM
Chris Paul
Kobe Bryant
Kevin Durant
LeBron James
Tyson Chandler

Deron Williams
Russell Westbrook/Andre Iguodala
Carmelo Anthony/Rudy Gay
Blake Griffin
Kevin Love

...US must play small ball

....we will see D-Will and Westbrook play alot of Shooting Guard
....Melo, Durant & Lebron will play alot at the Power Foward
....Blake and Love will see most of their time at the 5

bbcmillionaire
07-03-2012, 11:37 AM
Lol at Miamiboy not wanting to be called boy,

Anyways I'm going to miss rose out there with the greats. But eh I'm pretty sure with kobe and a more focused Lebron we are good enough to win the gold