PDA

View Full Version : Heat most likely operating in the red.

bearadonisdna
07-02-2012, 07:49 PM
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/nba--miami-heat-owner-says-team-likely-will-lose-money-this-year-.html

"The reality is we're not a big market team," Arison told CNBC. "Minnesota is a larger market than Miami. Where we find ourselves struggling is our local TV revenue is smaller than big markets and despite sellouts we're only seventh or eighth in gate revenues. Obviously our payrolls are up and our revenues are not because of the limitations of our market."

lakerboy
07-02-2012, 07:51 PM
Arison is worth $4.7billion. He can afford it. This is just a game/hobby to him.

/thread

justinnum1
07-02-2012, 07:55 PM
No worries. When we get that huge tv deal (80-100mil) per year that will help, right now heat get 20mil per year from tv...

also, $67avg ticket X 19000 seats X 41 home games(does not include playoff games whcih are more expensive than regular season games)

and heat make 52million in revenue from tickets sales. add another 10million for playoff games. and yea, they arent making a whole lot of money

Mr Costanza
07-02-2012, 07:57 PM
Arison is worth $4.7billion. He can afford it. This is just a game/hobby to him.

/thread

I think he lost over a billion last year. You are naive if you think he doesn't care.

fadedmario
07-02-2012, 07:57 PM
Pistons will have around 30 million to spend in 2013. Can't wait until all the teams start dumping players because of the luxury tax issues.

Good job Joe D!

TylerSL
07-02-2012, 07:58 PM
No worries. When we get that huge tv deal (80-100mil) per year that will help, right now heat get 20mil per year from tv...

also, $67avg ticket X 19000 seats X 41 home games(does not include playoff games whcih are more expensive than regular season games)

and heat make 52million in revenue from tickets sales. add another 10million for playoff games. and yea, they arent making a whole lot of money

this

bearadonisdna
07-02-2012, 08:02 PM

Who's suposed to give the Heat a 100 million $ TV deal?

One of the points of the article is that Miami is a small market.
I dont think its wise to shell out 100 mil $ to a team that doesnt make money.

justinnum1
07-02-2012, 08:03 PM
I think he lost over a billion last year. You are naive if you think he doesn't care.

he still gets on his big *** yacht at the end of the day and his bank account it looking pretty good

justinnum1
07-02-2012, 08:03 PM
Who's suposed to give the Heat a 100 million $ TV deal?

One of the points of the article is that Miami is a small market.

fox sports, this has been reported already, please search.

ryang
07-02-2012, 08:04 PM
we r getting that tv deal.. this article might have been wrote today but arrison said this almost a year ago.. we will be fine... and he didnt lose a billion last year george

tnewkirk
07-02-2012, 08:04 PM
miami is the worst sports town in the us by far.

ManRam
07-02-2012, 08:05 PM
Wish more of the super-rich owners, especially in small markets (not necessarily the NBA) saw owning a team as something a little more than just an investment.

bearadonisdna
07-02-2012, 08:10 PM
fox sports, this has been reported already, please search.

The Heats current TV deal doesnt expire for 3 more seasons according to Forbes.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nba/story/2012-06-21/miami-heat-fox-sports-florida-tv-deal-lebron-james-dwyane-wade-chris-bosh

Three years of no revenue/profitability could bring the price of that TV contract down.

Mr Costanza
07-02-2012, 08:13 PM
he still gets on his big *** yacht at the end of the day and his bank account it looking pretty good

I don't care how much you're worth, you lose 20%, you care.

bearadonisdna
07-02-2012, 08:14 PM
Regarding negotiations towards new TV deal for the Heat-

“There’s no truth to that report whatsoever,” said Chris Bellitti, Vice President of Communications for the Fox Sports Network. “We are in the middle of a long-term deal with the Heat that has several years remaining.”

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/06/21/report-heat-near-massive-new-local-television-deal/

ryang
07-02-2012, 08:15 PM

what about new york?? when there teams suck they wear bags over there heads.. when the knicks suck they cheer for lebron as he rapes there team in hopes he will sign there... dont say the dolphins attendance either.. its hot as hell and we dont spend 300 bucks and die of heat strokes to watch our team lose.. ive personally spent thousands of dollars on season tickets.. we keep sucking so i bought a sony bravia 240 hz led flat screen.. oh and my ac works... its called being smart...

we are not okc.. we dont go to games just to scream cause there is nothing to do there.. we are also not looking for a storm shelter.. i know your odds of being hit by a tornado go down when there are 20,000 of u..

ryang
07-02-2012, 08:17 PM
is this all you people have now?? guess what the big 3 will be togeather for another 3 years min... so i dont care but you will when we beat your teams again... game blousses

Bulls_fan90
07-02-2012, 08:21 PM
They could sign every star in the NBA and they'll never get close to the basketball markets in LA, NYK, CHI.

I'd be a little concerned about the teams long term future if I was a Heat "fan". Regardless Wade/Riley have done a hell of a job recruiting for a small market team.

naps
07-02-2012, 08:25 PM
LMFAO! Miami Heat really ain't a business for Micky. He said plenty of times (Including last week on 790) that it's a hobby for him. He never made money prior to 2011. So yeah he will keep spending. Glad, we have probably the finest owner in the league who doesn't mind spending and who doesn't interrupt the Godfather's job. #TryHarder

lakerboy
07-02-2012, 08:27 PM

Of course you care, but this won't really affect the Heat. He didn't lose 20% from the Heat. **** is most likely just stock

ryang
07-02-2012, 08:27 PM
why worry long term?? i see how thats working for my dolphins and i hate it... build for the future build for the future **** we just won an nba title and our frontrunners coming out the gate this year.. do i realize that when wade bosh and lebron leave we will never be the same?? yea but id rather experience what we are now..

Bulls_fan90
07-02-2012, 08:31 PM
why worry long term?? i see how thats working for my dolphins and i hate it... build for the future build for the future **** we just won an nba title and our frontrunners coming out the gate this year.. do i realize that when wade bosh and lebron leave we will never be the same?? yea but id rather experience what we are now..

Which is fair enough, but I meant with the financial stability of the franchise not the future team. I mean you can only do so much with the market that Miami are in.

ryang
07-02-2012, 08:35 PM
Which is fair enough, but I meant with the financial stability of the franchise not the future team. I mean you can only do so much with the market that Miami are in.

im just sayin why?? we have done fine since 88.. If a day comes when they have to move ill worry then but i dont see it... plus i dont know anything about there financial situation nor does any writer in america... i do know arrison isnt doing that bad because i beleive he is smart (probably why he is so rich) and he would have never signed all of the big 3 if we werent doing just fine..

asandhu23
07-02-2012, 08:36 PM
OP is trying to please dnewguy by putting a Heat thread in NBA forum.

Dade County
07-02-2012, 08:59 PM
A small market NBA team that operates in the red, won an NBA championship... All true basketball fans should rejoice, the big markets are not the only teams that can attract stars. :clap:

I am so proud of the HEAT organization and I also give OKC a lot of respect ... Two small market teams made it to the Finals .... :clap:

The NBA future is looking bright on a competitive standpoint, small markets teams like the HEAT & OKC have a chance year in and year out to make it to the finals.

Great job Stern :clap:

bearadonisdna
07-02-2012, 09:17 PM
A small market NBA team that operates in the red, won an NBA championship... All true basketball fans should rejoice, the big markets are not the only teams that can attract stars. :clap:

I am so proud of the HEAT organization and I also give OKC a lot of respect ... Two small market teams made it to the Finals .... :clap:

The NBA future is looking bright on a competitive standpoint, small markets teams like the HEAT & OKC have a chance year in and year out to make it to the finals.

Great job Stern :clap:

A team like the Heat is not a good or realistic blueprint for small market teams.

Small market teams cant afford to operate in the red like the heat are doing.

OKC and Miami are in two different situations. OKC built thorugh the draft and Miami built by offering 20 mil per year contracts.

waveycrockett
07-02-2012, 09:20 PM
weren't they supposed to get a huge TV deal? If not I can see one of the big-3 (wade?) getting traded

StarvingKnick22
07-02-2012, 09:24 PM
lmao poor heat fans

StarvingKnick22
07-02-2012, 09:27 PM
what about new york?? when there teams suck they wear bags over there heads.. when the knicks suck they cheer for lebron as he rapes there team in hopes he will sign there... dont say the dolphins attendance either.. its hot as hell and we dont spend 300 bucks and die of heat strokes to watch our team lose.. ive personally spent thousands of dollars on season tickets.. we keep sucking so i bought a sony bravia 240 hz led flat screen.. oh and my ac works... its called being smart...

we are not okc.. we dont go to games just to scream cause there is nothing to do there.. we are also not looking for a storm shelter.. i know your odds of being hit by a tornado go down when there are 20,000 of u..
we can be considered the best, heat fan who hasnt seen any other sport, because we have the most money, the second most sport franchises in the country, and a damn great fan sourcce. dont bait the NY if your situation is much worse. lol :facepalm:

StarvingKnick22
07-02-2012, 09:28 PM
plus we sold out tickets when we did the worst. suck those green apples

justinnum1
07-02-2012, 09:31 PM
weren't they supposed to get a huge TV deal? If not I can see one of the big-3 (wade?) getting traded

keep wishing.

bucketss
07-02-2012, 09:32 PM
so a small market team comes out of the wood works and builds a mega team over night and everyone hates them. I guess they didn't get the memo only the lakers or celtics are allowed to have multiple stars on the team.

naps
07-02-2012, 09:43 PM
lmao poor heat fans

Why? What did the Heat fans say that hurt your feelings? No one here said "What do the big markets give? One playoff win in 2000000 years!" Stop blaming Heat fans for Knicks misery.

Mr.B
07-02-2012, 09:46 PM

I agree, billionaires didn't become billionaires because they are ok with losing tens of millions of dollars every year.

NYSPORTSALLDAY
07-02-2012, 09:48 PM

Ha this

StarvingKnick22
07-02-2012, 09:50 PM
Why? What did the Heat fans say that hurt your feelings? No one here said "What do the big markets give? One playoff win in 2000000 years!" Stop blaming Heat fans for Knicks misery.

what? dude chill out im feelin bad for you guys since you might not be able to watch the heat play. christ you guys need to melo out. right now were havin Knick joy! nash baby!

Jroz
07-02-2012, 09:53 PM
now all they have to do is put fans in the seats instead of drapping white tshirts over the chairs :rimshot:

justinnum1
07-02-2012, 09:58 PM
Love it, miami team is so good people need to make fun of their fans:laugh2:

ryang
07-02-2012, 09:59 PM
plus we sold out tickets when we did the worst. suck those green apples

why?? I love when your place is sold out.. more of you get to see us beat that ***... have fun with this whole in the red thing.. we are the champs and have a better shot then you next year... game blousses.. oh and your right small market teams cant do what we do cause no billionares want to live where they do..

NBA CHAMPS.. suck those grapes (green or purple whichever you prefer)

MTL_123
07-02-2012, 10:01 PM
thats the best part of it. people cant talk **** about our team so they talk **** about their fans. lol

Dade County
07-02-2012, 10:07 PM
A team like the Heat is not a good or realistic blueprint for small market teams.

Each team should have their on blue print... But it is good for the league and fans of the NBA that a small market team like Miami WON. This proves that small market teams can actually bring all star players to their city.

Small market teams cant afford to operate in the red like the heat are doing.

Yes you are right.... Mickey Arison is GREAT!

OKC and Miami are in two different situations. OKC built thorugh the draft and Miami built by offering 20 mil per year contracts.

Why are you brining this up :confused:

They both are small market teams, you should congratulate both of them for making it to the finals.

ragee
07-02-2012, 10:08 PM

Didn't the new CBA mandated teams to share profits like that? I think I read that somewhere and the Lakers were pissed about it. Not sure if that was a rumor, a proposal or an actual fact though.

DaBear
07-02-2012, 10:09 PM
Florida is the most fair-weather state in the country. Fake fans.

Dade County
07-02-2012, 10:10 PM
so a small market team comes out of the wood works and builds a mega team over night and everyone hates them. I guess they didn't get the memo only the lakers or celtics are allowed to have multiple stars on the team.

preach.

Bigbadmoffo

You got a lot to learn about rich ppl. He's not interested in losing money for titles. I've a decent basketball fan and I can say that I don't remember the owner of the bulls in Jordan's era and I don't know the heat owners name. Owners don't get remembered like the stars. So of you will say that know the owners names but you guys are sports bloggers so it's not a fair assessment.

GoneGuru
Not true, no way in hell, with all the deals the Heat organization is making around the globe to the franchise value thats doubled with james hopping on board. no chance in hell the heat are operating in the red.

you also forgot merchandising, season ticket values, price of courtside tickets, luxury box's, and sponsors that the heat have. so it add up to more than some of the crude math i have seen here, theres also still international sales to take into account.

also remember this, no sports owner would ever tolerate losing money. if that was so, franchises would fold every year. most owners in sports (and every company) have a set of projections for net profits, and then theres the actual result of net profits, if the actual is less than the projected, or less than the actual brought in the year before, its considered a loss.

dont believe the lie when you hear teams are losing money and crying broke. (or most companys for that matter.)

if you want a perfect example, look at the ridiculous contracts being handed out to very average players. broke people dont overpay for ****, remember that.

this is a lie and yahoo is a joke

TylerSL
07-02-2012, 10:22 PM
yea I doubt the ligitimacy of this thread tbh. I ordered the $100 deal where you get the Hat/T-shirt/DVD/Towel a week ago, and I just got the hat today, because they couldnt send it all because of all the merchandice that has been sold, they have been selling out. I've even been emailed that I wont recieve the T-shirt until at least August, and the date to get it has been pushed back twice.

justinnum1
07-02-2012, 10:22 PM
similar to how miami keeps most things on the DL, i doubt they would ever say what really happens behind closed doors. they sly like that:D

ryang
07-02-2012, 10:23 PM
who cares.. we are the champs and until someone changes that youll be seeing our red jerseys in your arena

ryang
07-02-2012, 10:25 PM
yea I doubt the ligitimacy of this thread tbh. I ordered the $100 deal where you get the Hat/T-shirt/DVD/Towel a week ago, and I just got the hat today, because they couldnt send it all because of all the merchandice that has been sold, they have been selling out. I've even been emailed that I wont recieve the T-shirt until at least August, and the date to get it has been pushed back twice.

me 2.. my towel should be here around xmas..not really but its been pushed back 3 times.. i spent 200 and i still havent got one item.. they are all coming seperate due to inventory.. have of it is awaiting availabilty..

BALLER71
07-02-2012, 10:26 PM
Doesn't Arison constantly say that he has never made money off the Heat and that this is just entertainment for him?

The Flash
07-02-2012, 10:27 PM
oh poor Heatles... :)

The Flash
07-02-2012, 10:28 PM
so Micky bought the team for 33 mil and its current value is 425 mil at least
http://www.forbes.com/lists/2010/32/basketball-valuations-11_Miami-Heat_329036.html

bearadonisdna
07-02-2012, 10:32 PM
http://www.forbes.com/lists/2010/32/basketball-valuations-11_Miami-Heat_329036.html

Arison didnt become owner until 95.

From what i understand , arison inherited the team from his father in 1995.

naps
07-02-2012, 10:38 PM
what? dude chill out im feelin bad for you guys since you might not be able to watch the heat play. christ you guys need to melo out. right now were havin Knick joy! nash baby!

Why we wouldn't be able to watch the Heat play you genius?

And Nash or no Nash Irrelevance is a permanent deal with the Knicks. Sad.

naps
07-02-2012, 10:39 PM

Hmm (http://ct.fra.bz/ol/fz/sw/i53/5/4/17/frabz-derrick-rose-had-fun-once-he-hated-it-6c0a1d.jpg)...

GoneGuru
07-02-2012, 10:41 PM
hate to break it to knicks fans, but nash isnt saving them

bearadonisdna
07-02-2012, 10:42 PM
Not true, no way in hell, with all the deals the Heat organization is making around the globe to the franchise value thats doubled with james hopping on board. no chance in hell the heat are operating in the red.

you also forgot merchandising, season ticket values, price of courtside tickets, luxury box's, and sponsors that the heat have. so it add up to more than some of the crude math i have seen here, theres also still international sales to take into account.

also remember this, no sports owner would ever tolerate losing money. if that was so, franchises would fold every year. most owners in sports (and every company) have a set of projections for net profits, and then theres the actual result of net profits, if the actual is less than the projected, or less than the actual brought in the year before, its considered a loss.

dont believe the lie when you hear teams are losing money and crying broke. (or most companys for that matter.)

if you want a perfect example, look at the ridiculous contracts being handed out to very average players. broke people dont overpay for ****, remember that.

this is a lie and yahoo is a joke

The Nile isnt only a river in Europe. ;)

And if you have a problem believing Yahoo is reporting exactly what came out of arisons mouth ,

perhaps you will believe it from cnbc? http://www.cnbc.com/id/48047319

GoneGuru
07-02-2012, 10:44 PM

what does that even mean? the nile isnt in europe you moron its in northern africa, since when in the hell did that become part of europe?:facepalm:

bearadonisdna
07-02-2012, 10:46 PM
what does that even mean? the nile isnt in europe you moron its in northern africa, since when in the hell did that become part of europe?:facepalm:

It was a bit of a joke, but the point still stands.:facepalm:

GoneGuru
07-02-2012, 10:51 PM
It was a bit of a joke, but the point still stands.:facepalm:

if this was to reference denial im pretty sure you failed, also stating that the nile is in europe is the most fail thing ive heard in a while.

thats like me saying manu ginobli is the best european player in the league, seriously

The Flash
07-02-2012, 10:51 PM
:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

And if you have a problem believing Yahoo is reporting exactly what came out of arisons mouth ,

perhaps you will believe it from cnbc? http://www.cnbc.com/id/48047319

naps
07-02-2012, 10:55 PM
if this was to reference denial im pretty sure you failed, also stating that the nile is in europe is the most fail thing ive heard in a while.

thats like me saying manu ginobli is the best european player in the league, seriously

Haha...man they are just mad because we are the world champs and they are stuck on irrelevance. Let them mourn.

bearadonisdna
07-02-2012, 10:56 PM

'thats like me saying manu ginobli is the best european player in the league, '

Youd be surprised how many times i have heard this.

PrettyBoyJ
07-02-2012, 11:07 PM
I know Miami is considered a small market but it's not really a win for the NBA that a small market can attract stars and win.. Miami is still a hot spot to live in and to play for.. A lot of athletes in all major sports have homes in the Miami area.. Because there is so much to do the Media Market suffers but that doesn't mean players wouldn't want to come play in Miami unlike a place like Minny or Cleveland where its cold and there isnt much to do.. NBA still has a problem on there hands with Stars wanting to play for Big Markets

justinnum1
07-02-2012, 11:16 PM
miami is a small market population wise(400k) (NY has 8.2mil)

Bramaca
07-02-2012, 11:42 PM
miami is a small market population wise(400k) (NY has 8.2mil)

And Boston has a population of 617,000 :rolleyes:

I really don't know why people on here, and Arison, keep trying to sell Miami as a small market team. There is no comparison between the real small market teams and Miami. In terms of size the Heat are right in the middle of a group of large market cities that include Dallas, Philly, Houston, Boston, Washington, Atlanta, and San Fransisco. They may not be a massive market like NY, LA, Chicago but they definetely aren't in the same category as Oklahoma, Portland or Utah.

People also herald owners like this who treat teams like they are hobbies but its what makes the league get to a point where they lose money and have to lock the players out, why teams expect to be subsidized by the government, why players expect way more money then they are actually worth.

bmd1101
07-03-2012, 12:07 AM
To stop the general misinfo by many people on BOTH sides in this thread a quick compilation.

we r getting that tv deal.. this article might have been wrote today but arrison said this almost a year ago.. we will be fine... and he didnt lose a billion last year george

That tv deal isnt for 3 years and still isn't finished, you should understand why this is a bit worrisome the longer the deal takes to finish.

http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2012/01/heat-owner-micky-arison-lost-hundreds-of-millions-in-cruise-liner-disaster/
http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22748484/34205535

Of course you care, but this won't really affect the Heat. He didn't lose 20% from the Heat. **** is most likely just stock

read above about the 1.3 billion.

Take an economics class and you will understand why differential doesnt mean much. Ill give you a hint, it has something to do with the difference between 1988 and 2012.

ugh napkin math dont bother you have no clue of the operating costs, overhead, sales ect... and read further up about the tv deal.

http://espn.go.com/nba/attendance/_/sort/homePct

The HEAT have pretty much sold out according to ESPN's figures, some just dont come to the game or the 3rd party suppliers aren't able to sell their excess tickets. (over the entire year) HOWEVER, other Florida teams are well known for this problem.

I dont need to go further with this one, you doubt the legitimacy of the reports based on not getting a t-shirt on time? REALLY?

In fact, the Miami heat brand is middle of the pack beleive it or not. Read below.

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2009/32/basketball-values-09_NBA-Team-Valuations_Rank.html
http://www.forbes.com/teams/miami-heat/

Heat team value prior to and after "the decision" including other financial info. Next year you will see a significant drop in his personal value.

justinnum1
07-03-2012, 12:11 AM
no worries here. :)

bearadonisdna
07-03-2012, 12:56 AM
I agree, billionaires didn't become billionaires because they are ok with losing tens of millions of dollars every year.

No kidding. Arison's main business is also doing bad.
Lost 1.3 billion last year.

bmd1101
07-03-2012, 01:40 AM
And Boston has a population of 617,000 :rolleyes:

I really don't know why people on here, and Arison, keep trying to sell Miami as a small market team. There is no comparison between the real small market teams and Miami. In terms of size the Heat are right in the middle of a group of large market cities that include Dallas, Philly, Houston, Boston, Washington, Atlanta, and San Fransisco. They may not be a massive market like NY, LA, Chicago but they definetely aren't in the same category as Oklahoma, Portland or Utah.

People also herald owners like this who treat teams like they are hobbies but its what makes the league get to a point where they lose money and have to lock the players out, why teams expect to be subsidized by the government, why players expect way more money then they are actually worth.

The answer lies somewhere between http://www.tvb.org/media/file/TVB_Market_Profiles_Nielsen_Household_DMA_RANKS.pd f

and

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2012/02/27/Media/NBA-RSNs.aspx

and

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbadenhausen/2012/01/25/the-nbas-most-valuable-teams/
^^^ good info on national viewership for some teams.

bearadonisdna
07-03-2012, 01:53 AM
To stop the general misinfo by many people on BOTH sides in this thread a quick compilation.

That tv deal isnt for 3 years and still isn't finished, you should understand why this is a bit worrisome the longer the deal takes to finish.

http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2012/01/heat-owner-micky-arison-lost-hundreds-of-millions-in-cruise-liner-disaster/

read above about the 1.3 billion.

Take an economics class and you will understand why differential doesnt mean much. Ill give you a hint, it has something to do with the difference between 1988 and 2012.

ugh napkin math dont bother you have no clue of the operating costs, overhead, sales ect... and read further up about the tv deal.

http://espn.go.com/nba/attendance/_/sort/homePct

The HEAT have pretty much sold out according to ESPN's figures, some just dont come to the game or the 3rd party suppliers aren't able to sell their excess tickets. (over the entire year) HOWEVER, other Florida teams are well known for this problem.

I dont need to go further with this one, you doubt the legitimacy of the reports based on not getting a t-shirt on time? REALLY?

In fact, the Miami heat brand is middle of the pack beleive it or not. Read below.

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2009/32/basketball-values-09_NBA-Team-Valuations_Rank.html
http://www.forbes.com/teams/miami-heat/

Heat team value prior to and after "the decision" including other financial info. Next year you will see a significant drop in his personal value.

:clap:.

utl768
07-03-2012, 02:03 AM
he has said a ton of times he has no problem operating the team like this as long as they are title contenders

PurpleJesus
07-03-2012, 02:15 AM
I think people's definition of "big market vs small market" is misguided. The OP posted something about Minnesota being a larger market than Miami (which is a vaque comment in itself, considering Minnesota is a whole state, and Miami is a city)...but, what is the market selling? California has a bigger market for surf boards, than NY does, even though NY is considered a bigger market...thus, making Cali a bigger market for the specific item. When the sports nation discusses market size, they only take into consideration the population of an area for some reason...but they don't take into consideration, how marketable a team is to the demographic...and because Miami is not being sold specifically to the city, but instead is being sold to a global market, Miami is a very marketable basketball team, which is why they are a big market, in the NBA sense.

ryang
07-03-2012, 03:31 AM
who cares.. i have heard and seen nothing to beleive the heat are in trouble financially.. see you people next year.. looking for a repeat... gold jacket green jacket who gives a **** (happy gilmore)

yaswaggin
07-03-2012, 10:40 AM

He lost 1.3 billion because carnival cruise ships plummeted during economy

bearadonisdna
07-03-2012, 08:23 PM
He lost 1.3 billion because carnival cruise ships plummeted during economy

And that was just last year.
This year Arison will have to pay half a billion in damages for a cruise catastrophe that killed 11 and left 29 missing. I have seen other reports that have confirmed up to 15 deaths. As expected this incident lowered the value of his stock.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/calebmelby/2012/01/17/cruise-catastrophe-cuts-carnivals-micky-arison-fortune/

Arison also owes Miami taxpayers MILLIONS according to Dade County Inspector General for not following stipulations on a tax-payer built stadium.
http://blogs.miaminewtimes.com/riptide/2012/05/miami_heat_owe_taxpayers_milli.php

justinnum1
07-03-2012, 08:29 PM
^so? big 3 are here to stay. Just hope your gm's do their jobs.

ChitownBears22
07-03-2012, 09:08 PM
I know of plenty of companies that operate in the red.

Ever heard of the US Post Office?

What does operating in the red have to do with anything. While they aren't creating accounting profit right now, the economic profit is in the black. Companies have no problem being in the red if future projections show growth. In this case the growth stems from future TV-deals, merchandising, ticket sales, ect. With winning comes more opprotunity for money. So spending money to make money seems logical.

Take an economics course then create a thread.

Also Yahoo! Finance is the equivalent to the Bleacher Report in the economic/investing/finance world. Just FYI

bearadonisdna
07-03-2012, 09:14 PM

What does operating in the red have to do with anything. While they aren't creating accounting profit right now, the economic profit is in the black. Companies have no problem being in the red if future projections show growth. In this case the growth stems from future TV-deals, merchandising, ticket sales, ect. With winning comes more opprotunity for money. So spending money to make money seems logical.

Also Yahoo! Finance is the equivalent to the Bleacher Report in the economic/investing/finance world. Just FYI

^ Yahoo finance OFTEN uses the exact same sources your hoidy toity whatever the hell you think is better.:mad:
As a matter of fact, i cross referenced it with a cnbc link that reported the EXACT SAME THING. Yahoo even provided the SOURCE. Thanks Yahoo.

ChitownBears22
07-03-2012, 09:22 PM
^ Yahoo finance often uses the exact same sources your hoidy toity whatever the hell you think is better.:mad:

Solid arguement, based on assumption. I am saying the stories are written by garbage bloggers much like Bleacher Report.

Also seeing that the HEAT are a seperate business than Carnival I don't see how his losing profit in one business is related to another. Carnival is down right now because of several factors. The BP oil spill killed profits for fiscal year 10/11, the Italy incident will hurt them this year and seep into next year, and lets not forget we are still recovering from an economic meltdown. But the company is not on the verge of bankruptcy, they have solid management, and are continuing to grow and introducing new ships to their fleet. If CEO's and Presidents of companies freaked after every 20-30% fall in stock prices the world would be littered with CEO and President corpses. Fluxuations happen and solid management will right the ship (no pun intended)

bearadonisdna
07-03-2012, 09:22 PM

When was the last time the US Post Office was responsible for dozens of deaths? :cool:

ChitownBears22
07-03-2012, 09:25 PM
When was the last time the US Post Office was responsible for dozens of deaths? :cool:

Since when do you blame an owner of a company for an accident caused by a negligent captain. Unless you think owners of multi-billion dollar companies should micro-manage at every level. And if that is the case let me direct you to a couple management courses to go along with the econ class you should take.

Based on your logic we should blame the post master general for the anthrax attacks a couple years ago.

justinnum1
07-03-2012, 09:29 PM
^got him!

Knicks21
07-03-2012, 09:30 PM

US Post Office operating in the red is not comparable to the Miami Heat operating in the red.

The US post office is essential, ie Inelastic market. Basketball is an elastic market, as it is not an essential service or product of our society.

There is a lot of uncertainty within ownership of a Basketball team, it is not a stable market. Whereas people are always going to use the post.

Essentially, there is nothing wrong with the US postal office operating in the red, as they are always in high demand for the services they offer, same cannot be said for Basketball.

rockbottom2010
07-03-2012, 09:31 PM
look at it in this kind of way
heat
thunder
nets
celtics

they are all gonna be contenders...it shows that the only u can win is going over the cap

ChitownBears22
07-03-2012, 09:35 PM
US Post Office operating in the red is not comparable to the Miami Heat operating in the red.

The US post office is essential, ie Inelastic market. Basketball is an elastic market, as it is not an essential service or product of our society.

There is a lot of uncertainty within ownership of a Basketball team, it is not a stable market. Whereas people are always going to use the post.

Essentially, there is nothing wrong with the US postal office operating in the red, as they are always in high demand for the services they offer, same cannot be said for Basketball.

USPS operating in the red with no growth is concerning. The HEAT operating in the red with growth, not so much.

Also USPS was just an example of a entity operating with losses. Not the best model but a basic one most people can understand. Also note I don't think USPS is neccessary or essential and private companies could run a more efficent model of the same concept.

bearadonisdna
07-03-2012, 09:41 PM
Since when do you blame an owner of a company for an accident caused by a negligent captain. Unless you think owners of multi-billion dollar companies should micro-manage at every level. And if that is the case let me direct you to a couple management courses to go along with the econ class you should take.

Based on your logic we should blame the post master general for the anthrax attacks a couple years ago.

It is untasteful to compare TERRORIST ATTACKS to Corporate Gross Negligence.

:cool:

BigBlueCrew
07-03-2012, 09:42 PM

did you actually bring up the USPS operating in the red??? :facepalm:

ChitownBears22
07-03-2012, 09:45 PM
did you actually bring up the USPS operating in the red??? :facepalm:

Does it not operate in the red? I have been under the assumption that it has been a blackhole in terms profits for quite some time now.

ChitownBears22
07-03-2012, 09:46 PM
It is untasteful to compare TERRORIST ATTACKS to Corporate Gross Negligence.

:cool:

It is in terms of micromanagement. Do you expect an Owner/CEO/President to deal with low level management things like Captains of their ships? They are never in the same room together. Those failures fall under the policy makers of the company, which I can assure you would not be Top-tier management.

IversonIsKrazy
07-03-2012, 09:50 PM
Why is this anyways? I notice watching some season games that the seats don't look full, even when they played Celtics or Bulls during regular season. I mean if VanCity even had a team with a player like Wade oR Bron on it, we would sell out quite a bit. Why is it that Miami has such a small market, tho the population doesn't indicate so? I find it odd.

bearadonisdna
07-03-2012, 10:02 PM
It is in terms of micromanagement. Do you expect an Owner/CEO/President to deal with low level management things like Captains of their ships? They are never in the same room together. Those failures fall under the policy makers of the company, which I can assure you would not be Top-tier management.

That wouldnt have been the only time someone on a Carnival Cruise died.
And sued for negligence.

BcEuAbRsS
07-03-2012, 10:05 PM
I don't blame Miami fans... I'd rather be on the beach too...

ChitownBears22
07-03-2012, 10:06 PM
That wouldnt have been the only time someone on a Carnival Cruise died.
And sued for negligence.

Yes and with all these incidents Carnival keeps producing ships and is still a mulit-billion dollar company in assets alone.

How do you suppose that happens. Airplanes crash, trains derail, car accidents happen. Jesus could you imagine the transportation industry if we fretted about every catastophe that has happened in the past.

What do deaths on cruise ships have to do with the Miami HEAT in the red?!?!?!?!?!!?!? It's not the business structure that is losing money! Right now the HEAT are building their brand, they are starting to see profits in the investment they made 2 years ago getting the big 3. Investments take time, if they didn't we would all be rich and own sports teams.

bearadonisdna
07-03-2012, 10:10 PM
Why is this anyways? I notice watching some season games that the seats don't look full, even when they played Celtics or Bulls during regular season. I mean if VanCity even had a team with a player like Wade oR Bron on it, we would sell out quite a bit. Why is it that Miami has such a small market, tho the population doesn't indicate so? I find it odd.

I will tell you this right now. Arison isn't well liked by many in the Miami community for not housing Miami's homeless as stipulated by Miami law for tax payer stadiums. That is why they wouldnt want to support him.

ChitownBears22
07-03-2012, 10:11 PM
I will tell you this right now. Arison isn't well liked by many in the Miami community for not housing Miami's homeless as stipulated by Miami law for tax payer stadiums.

Yeah and most people in Chicago hate Virginia McCaskey yet Solider Field is sold out every game. something tells me sports fans really don't care about ownership and their decision making.

bearadonisdna
07-03-2012, 10:22 PM
Yeah and most people in Chicago hate Virginia McCaskey yet Solider Field is sold out every game. something tells me sports fans really don't care about ownership and their decision making.

Totally different situations.

ChitownBears22
07-03-2012, 10:26 PM
Totally different situations.

Hate is hate.

Summary: Small market team spending money as an investment to hopefully grow their brand. Currently in the red. This however, is not uncommon with longterm investing and can lead to future success. To be short sighted and not look at all the possibilities for growth makes you look ridiculous.

bearadonisdna
07-03-2012, 10:43 PM
Hate is hate.

Summary: Small market team spending money as an investment to hopefully grow their brand. Currently in the red. This however, is not uncommon with longterm investing and can lead to future success. To be short sighted and not look at all the possibilities for growth makes you look ridiculous.

Arison has already said they dont have a market. The only thing that would get them out of the red is a TV contract. Which is 3 years away.

And by the time they sign a projected 80-100 millions dollar tv contract, 30 year olds Wade, Bosh, and James will be making 20+million per year. So more than 60% of their TV contract is already eaten up by the Big 3's salary.

Verbal Christ
07-03-2012, 10:48 PM
Move the team to Vegas.

ChitownBears22
07-03-2012, 10:51 PM
Arison has already said they dont have a market. The only thing that would get them out of the red is a TV contract. Which is 3 years away.

Which is called..................wait for it................I said it in my first post.............................................. opprotunity cost. Being in the red right now will prove in the long run to create large profits in the future. Boom!

Spending money to make money. Creating a market. Creating your brand.

All points I brought up that in the end you agree with.

Thank you.

ChitownBears22
07-03-2012, 10:52 PM
Move the team to Vegas.

Move the team to another small market tourist city. Solid idea. You should take over for Stern in 2 years.

ryang
07-03-2012, 10:54 PM

Ill tell you.. judge it how you want.. We dont care to spend 300 400 dollars to watch game 41 outta 80+.. we would rather watch it from our couch where each beer doesnt cost 12 bucks... We always show up when it matters and were always sold out.. our team gets bored with those games so what do you expect from us?? I still watch every game but I only go to a few.. Got a family to support..

bearadonisdna
07-03-2012, 11:22 PM
Which is called..................wait for it................I said it in my first post.............................................. opprotunity cost. Being in the red right now will prove in the long run to create large profits in the future. Boom!

Spending money to make money. Creating a market. Creating your brand.

All points I brought up that in the end you agree with.

Thank you.

It remains to be seen how much the heat would actually profit when their payrolls balloon.
Its all wait and see. At least three years. By then the 30 year old heats could possibly be broken up. Which would also decrease the value of a pending Tv contract.

Did you learn about business from a cracker jack box?

Bramaca
07-03-2012, 11:27 PM
The answer lies somewhere between http://www.tvb.org/media/file/TVB_Market_Profiles_Nielsen_Household_DMA_RANKS.pd f

and

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2012/02/27/Media/NBA-RSNs.aspx

and

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbadenhausen/2012/01/25/the-nbas-most-valuable-teams/
^^^ good info on national viewership for some teams.

I've seen all that before. Its interesting how the entire metropolitan area is included for basically every other city other then Miami. West Palm Beach is considered part of the Miami metro area just like Oakland/San Jose/San Fran are all together. That alone puts the Miami market right up there with the teams I mentioned at around 2.4 million households. I also imagine that Sun Sports South also includes the Fort Myers area in its local Heat broadcasts.

Miami is not in between, it is right in the group of large markets behind the big 3.

ChitownBears22
07-03-2012, 11:47 PM
It remains to be seen how much the heat would actually profit when their payrolls balloon.
Its all wait and see. At least three years. By then the 30 year old heats could possibly be broken up. Which would also decrease the value of a pending Tv contract.

Did you learn about business from a cracker jack box?

Seeing that TV deals can be reached years in advance I would guess the HEAT are pushing the issue and trying to lock up the long term contract.

Also there are no concrete numbers showing losses by the Miami HEAT franchise. Those numbers won't be made public for another couple months.

Yes I got my BA in Cracker Jack Business and Accounting and I am getting my masters through Yahoo! Finance University!

bearadonisdna
07-04-2012, 11:05 PM
Seeing that TV deals can be reached years in advance I would guess the HEAT are pushing the issue and trying to lock up the long term contract.

Also there are no concrete numbers showing losses by the Miami HEAT franchise. Those numbers won't be made public for another couple months.

Yes I got my BA in Cracker Jack Business and Accounting and I am getting my masters through Yahoo! Finance University!

lol. That was funny.

khaleesi
07-04-2012, 11:19 PM
Miami has problems supporting sports teams because folks are broke and living off credit cards. Jobs suck, pay worse. If not for tourism, you would see even more cannabalism than you see know. To boot half the population arrived in the US like 5 years ago.

it has nothing to do with population. Miami Dade, Broward and Palm have over 5 million inhabitants.

Lots of poverty and working class poor which sucks when selling a luxury good like basketball.

bearadonisdna
07-05-2012, 04:21 PM
Miami has problems supporting sports teams because folks are broke and living off credit cards. Jobs suck, pay worse. If not for tourism, you would see even more cannabalism than you see know. To boot half the population arrived in the US like 5 years ago.

it has nothing to do with population. Miami Dade, Broward and Palm have over 5 million inhabitants.

Lots of poverty and working class poor which sucks when selling a luxury good like basketball.

Good points.

D-Block21-Chito
07-05-2012, 04:25 PM
^ha-ha

bearadonisdna
07-07-2012, 03:22 AM
Wow 8 pages.