PDA

View Full Version : What in the WORLD are the Nets doing?

Nikeman
07-02-2012, 06:22 PM
I seriously do NOT get this move one bit?

If GM Billy King is trying to compete for a 3-4 seed every year, trading for JJ and having D-will is a GREAT idea.

If they are trying to win and compete for championships, they need to get Dwight Howard, who is literally BEGGING them to come to Brooklyn.

If I am the Nets, I do not give a **** I wait for a year if I need to and I sign DH 12. 26 years old, and easily the best center in the league, and one of the best if not THE BEST big man in the league.

Joe Johnson+GW+Williams+Lopez is nice, but will not get them past the elite teams, its the Atlanta Hawks all over again.

If they want 5-6 years of making the playoffs, great, but I thought the goal was to win championships.

D12 fan
07-02-2012, 06:26 PM
Billy King=The new Otis Smith.

They are going to regret this trade.

30yrs old Wallace 4yr 40mil=stupid
31 yrs old Johnson 4yr 90mil=extra stupid

They will be a 2nd round team for the next 5yrs.

Raps08-09 Champ
07-02-2012, 06:27 PM
Lopez, Brooks and picks for Howard.

C-Howard
PF-Humpries
SF-Wallace
SG-Johnson
PG-Williams

vdaino
Billy King = Billy King. That's worse.

Donuts365
well we didnt get younger

justinnum1
07-02-2012, 06:28 PM

yea, but they might be better than the knicks next year and thats probably all the nets would like

Slug3
D will still needs to resign

Nikeman

Exactly, this team will not beat Miami, Chicago (with a healthy Rose), OKC, SA, LA Laker type teams.

It is a good team, not great.

You pair the best center in the league with a top 3 PG in the league and then you have something to build off, with a Gerald Wallace playing in a way a "Scottie Pippen" type role.

Nikeman
07-02-2012, 06:29 PM

C-Howard
PF-Humpries
SF-Wallace
SG-Johnson
PG-Williams

There is something called a salary cap bro.

SACNYY
07-02-2012, 06:30 PM
The Nets have no one to give Orlando. You think Orlando is going too accept Lopez and some picks? Hell no. That's a horrible deal. Nets have nothing to give.

heyman321
07-02-2012, 06:31 PM

C-Howard
PF-Humpries
SF-Wallace
SG-Johnson
PG-Williams

And I'm the King of magic chocolate fairy land.

strahan92osi72
07-02-2012, 06:32 PM
yea, but they might be better than the knicks next year and thats probably all the nets would like

LOL no they're not.

jsthornton7
07-02-2012, 06:33 PM
The Nets have no one to give Orlando. You think Orlando is going too accept Lopez and some picks? Hell no. That's a horrible deal. Nets have nothing to give.

its sad it took 10 posts for someone to mention this point

GiantsSwaGG
07-02-2012, 06:33 PM

Might is the key word...but they're not better. But they will compete this year thou

strahan92osi72
07-02-2012, 06:35 PM
Might is the key word...but they're not better. But they will compete this year thou

Joe Johnson isn't any good anymore. He doesn't improve a team. I actually think Brooks at 35 mpg>Johnson at 35 mpg at this point. The Nets now have their own Amare.

lamzoka
[QUOTE=Raps08-09 Champ;22755959]Lopez, Brooks and picks for Howard.

C-Howard
PF-Humpries
SF-Wallace
SG-Johnson
PG-Williams

where do u find the cap room for all this players?

PhillyOwnsAll
Hahahahahaha Joe Johnson is not that good at all!!! Marshon Brooks > Joe Johnson... bad deal. Good job brooklyn lololol

Davidgta1
07-02-2012, 06:36 PM
5th to 8th seed.

lakersiznumber1
07-02-2012, 06:38 PM
not a good move or bad 1 but they are moving into a new city, which they want to compete with the knicks so they had to do something. If dwill signs back they will be in the playoffs next season

netsgiantsyanks
Hahahahahaha Joe Johnson is not that good at all!!! Marshon Brooks > Joe Johnson... bad deal. Good job brooklyn lololol

we still have brooks. but i still don't see this trade turning out well.

strahan92osi72
5th to 8th seed.

I'd say 7th. I am just soooo happy Dwight isn't in Brooklyn. That would've been a tough pill to swallow I admit.

jrm2054
**** billy King as a Nets fan worst trade ever

TheSportsHound
07-02-2012, 06:39 PM
The Nets most likely won't even make the playoffs over the Knicks or Celtics for sure. And probably won't be able to beat the 76ers either. They are not making the team better at all.

netsgiantsyanks
07-02-2012, 06:40 PM
dwight howard ****ed himself and the nets over.

strahan92osi72
07-02-2012, 06:41 PM
The Nets most likely won't even make the playoffs over the Knicks or Celtics for sure. And probably won't be able to beat the 76ers either. They are not making the team better at all.

You're reaching a bit far, you're better than the Sixers. I understand you're upset but DAMMMNNNN!

jrm2054
07-02-2012, 06:42 PM
i honestly would rather lose Deron not get JJ and suck then have them 2 together and be doomed to nothing for the next 6 plus years

MTL_123
07-02-2012, 06:42 PM

This

*Superman*
07-02-2012, 06:43 PM
They made this move to hopefully solidify Deron on resigning, they know they have no way of acquiring Dwight through trade.

PhillyOwnsAll
07-02-2012, 06:43 PM
fd

Nikeman
07-02-2012, 06:44 PM
To the poster who said that the Nets have nothing to offer,

I think they can put together the best package for Dwight that works.

Lopez is a career 17.5 ppg scorer and is only 24 I believe. Brooks is an up and coming shooting guard.

Teams will not give the Magic a great deal for Howard without them getting a guarantee of an extension which DH 12 won't give.

If your the Nets GM, you wait a year and bring DH 12 to Brooklyn if you have to, but I still think they can offer the best package as well.

Lakers will NOT offer Bynum without a contract from DH.

Nets are flat out dumb in this situation. You had a chance to make a title contender to making a 5-8 seed team yearly.

torocan

If this keeps up even the Brooklyn fans are going to be hating Dwight...

GiantsSwaGG
Joe and Amare are similar as far as having the worst contracts...but besides that they don't compare.because of Amare's knees. With that being said, for a 32 years who's numbers are.declining and is owed 89 for the next 4 years....its a stupid trade, they were better off tanking and getting a lottery pick plus Dwight!

Punk
LOL at some of these posts. Joe Johnson made the Hawks what they are. Last time I checked, the Hawks were without Josh Smith in the playoffs and Johnson carried them in Game 3.

When Johnson was out this season, they got blown out pretty badly.

It's a great trade despite his contract. If Deron leaves, Johnson will be there and they can still get Dwight. If Deron stays, they roll with a lineup of Deron, Johnson, Wallace.

Pretty damn good situation.

GiantsSwaGG
07-02-2012, 06:45 PM
Btw has anybody seen domefavors?

D12 fan
07-02-2012, 06:46 PM
Im suprised he actually made this trade,I never thought a team would be dumb enough to take on Johnson atrocious contract.

Dont forget Johnson is 31 with 4yrs 90mil left on his deal.SMH

Il Mago50
07-02-2012, 06:47 PM
What are the chances the Nets can still get Dwight now???

PhillyOwnsAll
07-02-2012, 06:47 PM
King used to GM the Sixers. He brought Iverson the likes of a washed up glenn robinson, Keith Van Horn, washed up Chris webber and Tony Kukoc hoping they could help him out and play the robin to his batman. HE IS THE WORST GM EVER... he's trying to redeem himself in Brooklyn and is failing miserably with this move.:clap:

strahan92osi72
07-02-2012, 06:48 PM
What are the chances the Nets can still get Dwight now???

If Deron stays none, if he goes to Dallas pretty darn good. Right now if your the Nets, it depends on what you want more.

Nycbball08

Its not a given that D Williams will even stay, so watch your toung..

jrm2054
LOL at some of these posts. Joe Johnson made the Hawks what they are. Last time I checked, the Hawks were without Josh Smith in the playoffs and Johnson carried them in Game 3.

When Johnson was out this season, they got blown out pretty badly.

It's a great trade despite his contract. If Deron leaves, Johnson will be there and they can still get Dwight. If Deron stays, they roll with a lineup of Deron, Johnson, Wallace.

Pretty damn good situation.

no it's not its a team that has no chance to win a title and wont be bad enough to get better it is a awful situation

strahan92osi72
07-02-2012, 06:49 PM
Its not a given that D Williams will even stay, so watch your toung..

Even if he does, the Knicks are still miles ahead of the Nets. Joe Johnson doesn't improve a team 10 wins.

torocan
07-02-2012, 06:49 PM
Nets are flat out dumb in this situation. You had a chance to make a title contender to making a 5-8 seed team yearly.

The Nets weren't dumb. Dwight screwed himself, the Magic and the Nets, and SVG over on this one.

The Nets are trying to cover their butts and hold onto Deron (which may or may not work).

Nope, Dwight is screwing everyone over with his on again/off again shennanigans this year.

The Nets are just trying to make the best of a stupendously bad situation.

Nycbball08
07-02-2012, 06:50 PM
Tongue..!

MagicBucsSox
07-02-2012, 06:50 PM
I don't get why the nets panicked. You weren't winning a title next yr so what's the point trading for jj

Nikeman
07-02-2012, 06:52 PM
The Nets weren't dumb. Dwight screwed himself, the Magic and the Nets, and SVG over on this one.

The Nets are trying to cover their butts and hold onto Deron (which may or may not work).

Nope, Dwight is screwing everyone over with his on again/off again shennanigans this year.

The Nets are just trying to make the best of a stupendously bad situation.

Worst case situation, Dwight signs with the Nets next year, and nobody will beat the Nets offer of Lopez/Brooks if they won't get an extension from Dwight.

jrm2054
I don't get why the nets panicked. You weren't winning a title next yr so what's the point trading for jj

Worst GM in sports history = the Nets situation since he was hired

B'sCeltsPatsSox
They're still going to get Dwight...

jrm2054
07-02-2012, 06:53 PM
Worst case situation, Dwight signs with the Nets next year, and nobody will beat the Nets offer of Lopez/Brooks if they won't get an extension from Dwight.

no cap room to sign him 2 max and a 10 mill plus others

kingkenny01
07-02-2012, 06:53 PM
even if they had deron williams, joe johnson and dwight howard the nets still wouldn't beat the heat

nicegoing
07-02-2012, 06:54 PM
"What would you rather be, underpaid or overrated?"
-Joe Johnson

netsgiantsyanks
To the poster who said that the Nets have nothing to offer,

I think they can put together the best package for Dwight that works.

Lopez is a career 17.5 ppg scorer and is only 24 I believe. Brooks is an up and coming shooting guard.

Teams will not give the Magic a great deal for Howard without them getting a guarantee of an extension which DH 12 won't give.

If your the Nets GM, you wait a year and bring DH 12 to Brooklyn if you have to, but I still think they can offer the best package as well.

Lakers will NOT offer Bynum without a contract from DH.

if it wasn't for dwight's mishaps, the nets wouldn't be in this situation.

Nikeman
no cap room to sign him 2 max and a 10 mill plus others

I am saying don't do the Johnson trade and sign Dwight outright worst case scenario.

MTL_123
07-02-2012, 06:55 PM
even if they had deron williams, joe johnson and dwight howard the nets still wouldn't beat the heat

lmao This:D

Nycbball08
07-02-2012, 06:55 PM
I can see the Lakers getting D12 and Williams, Kobe would be in heaven..

thephoenixson28
07-02-2012, 06:56 PM
Can johnson restructure his contract.

Nikeman
07-02-2012, 06:56 PM

I am a Heat fan... and you guys saw what Rondo did to us along with KG.

Deron Williams could pick apart the Heat defense, and we are left with nobody to stop Dwight down low.

I am a Heat fan and while I agree with you, Miami's Big 3 is better, I certainly would not want to face Johnson, Howard and Williams.

strahan92osi72
07-02-2012, 06:58 PM
I can see the Lakers getting D12 and Williams, Kobe would be in heaven..

Nah, Kobe wouldn't want that. Kobe wants the basketball, he wants it to be his team. You bring in two superstars in their primes, that won't be the case anymore. I can actually see Deron/Dwight in Dallas though.

dnewguy
07-02-2012, 06:59 PM
Some idiot is running the Nets front office.....opportunity to get Howard and instead you trade for Joe Johnson? Not sure Howard is even interested anymore.

bringbackfredex
07-02-2012, 06:59 PM
Helping the Sixers in the Dwight Howard sweepstakes, that's what they're doing :D

jrm2054
07-02-2012, 07:00 PM
I am saying don't do the Johnson trade and sign Dwight outright worst case scenario.

i would have loved that but this trade is offical

justinnum1
I am a Heat fan... and you guys saw what Rondo did to us along with KG.

Deron Williams could pick apart the Heat defense, and we are left with nobody to stop Dwight down low.

I am a Heat fan and while I agree with you, Miami's Big 3 is better, I certainly would not want to face Johnson, Howard and Williams.

williams is more of a shoot first pg imo. no one is like rondo, that dude just kills us. and NJ would lack the floor spacing that could hurt miami. but those match ups would be really fun

Nikeman
If I am the multi-billionaire Russian owner,

I convince Dwight to sign a MLE for 5m per, and just flat out gift him the other 15 mill per year LOL.

tnewkirk
07-02-2012, 07:01 PM
orlando wasnt gonna trade him anyway, and they werent gonna wait another year. they got a solid starting 5 right now.

tnewkirk
If I am the multi-billionaire Russian owner,

I convince Dwight to sign a MLE for 5m per, and just flat out gift him the other 15 mill per year LOL.

lol.

marj987
Why are people's saying joe Johnson's doesn't improve a team, with playmaking and passing skills that's all you need. Two solid playmakers make it easy for other players, and I really think Marshon will step it up this year, and if they resign brook Lopez (love that guy 3>) that can be at least a third or fourth seed, the only thing wrong with this trade is joes contract.

LA_Raiders
07-02-2012, 07:02 PM
WOW, Looks like Howard is coming to LA...

Nycbball08
07-02-2012, 07:05 PM
Can johnson restructure his contract.

If I'm not mistaken didn't he turned down 100 mil from the Knicks to "restructure" a 120 mil contract with Atlanta...? lol

bringbackfredex
WOW, Looks like Howard is coming to LA...

Doubtful, he doesn't really want to play there. It's a crapshoot now, because the only team he wanted to sign an extension with was the Nets.

Nikeman
Why are people's saying joe Johnson's doesn't improve a team, with playmaking and passing skills that's all you need. Two solid playmakers make it easy for other players, and I really think Marshon will step it up this year, and if they resign brook Lopez (love that guy 3>) that can be at least a third or fourth seed, the only thing wrong with this trade is joes contract.

We never said JJ doesn't improve a team..

We said if you are a LOCK to get Dwight Howard by next season at LATEST, then you do not go out and make a trade for JJ which kills your cap space not allowing you to get Dwight Howard.

koberulesall
07-02-2012, 07:09 PM
hes going to LA sorry LAKER HATERS but yeah its happening lol! ALL THE LAKER HATERS ON THIS WEBSITE ARE FEAKING OUT LOL!!

nicegoing
07-02-2012, 07:12 PM
I think Dwight will get traded to Houston and will have no choice but to resign there.

NYSPORTSALLDAY
07-02-2012, 07:13 PM

This

D2theJ
07-02-2012, 07:14 PM
Personally I think the Magic are just trying to screw Dwight over. A Nets offer of Lopez, Brooks, and a couple first round picks would be more than fair for a player WHO WILL BE TRADED. He doesn't want to be there at all and the only other center better than a healthy Brook Lopez is Bynum, and the Lakers don't seem to want to give him up. Its either theyre holding out for Bynum or they just don't want Dwight to go where he wants.

I'm really praying the Nets plan to have enough cap space next summer for Dwight, but I just don't know anymore.

beasted86
07-02-2012, 07:15 PM
You people are completely looney to bash on the moves the Nets are making.

The Nets have been building through the draft for the past 6+ years, and their team hasn't gotten any better. Even if we eliminate all the draft picks they traded away and put them on this team, they would still suck major balls.

Which is better:

PG: Deron Williams / Kidd
SG: Johnson / Brooks
SF: Wallace
PF: Humphries
C:: Lopez

OR

PG: Devin Harris / Damian Lillard
SG: Brooks / Chris Douglas Roberts
SF: Terrence Williams / Damion James
PF: Favors / Ryan Anderson
C:: Lopez / Kanter

That second team blows, even if they are younger and made up of multiple lottery picks.

Nikeman
07-02-2012, 07:16 PM
Personally I think the Magic are just trying to screw Dwight over. A Nets offer of Lopez, Brooks, and a couple first round picks would be more than fair for a player WHO WILL BE TRADED. He doesn't want to be there at all and the only other center better than a healthy Brook Lopez is Bynum, and the Lakers don't seem to want to give him up. Its either theyre holding out for Bynum or they just don't want Dwight to go where he wants.

I'm really praying the Nets plan to have enough cap space next summer for Dwight, but I just don't know anymore.

Agreed, Magic will not get a better offer than Lopez/Brooks from any other team if the know Dwight is a rental.

jrm2054
07-02-2012, 07:18 PM
You people are completely looney to bash on the moves the Nets are making.

The Nets have been building through the draft for the past 6+ years, and their team hasn't gotten any better. Even if we eliminate all the draft picks they traded away and put them on this team, they would still suck major balls.

Which is better:

PG: Deron Williams / Kidd
SG: Johnson / Brooks
SF: Wallace
C:: Lopez

OR

PG: Devin Harris / Damian Lillard
SG: Brooks / Chris Douglas Roberts
SF: Terrence Williams / Damion James
PF: Favors / Ryan Anderson
C:: Lopez / Kanter

That second team blows, even if they are younger and made up of multiple lottery picks.
The second team is inaccurate they could have taken other players like Barnes etc or other moves that would not have been the lineup

netsgiantsyanks
07-02-2012, 07:19 PM
:sigh: i hope this ends well.

beasted86
07-02-2012, 07:21 PM
The second team is inaccurate they could have taken other players like Barnes etc or other moves that would not have been the lineup

Feel free to put together whatever roster you wish with guys that were actually available at the time of their draft pick. I still guarantee the team would stink, and not be a playoff team. (On a side note, I think Lillard is going to be a lot better than Harrison Barnes).

There comes a point where "brighter future" means squat when your team can't even make the playoffs in the East. And they wouldn't have significant cap space either even with the roster I just named, before people try and throw that wrench into the picture.

Mr.B
07-02-2012, 07:22 PM

Why would Orlando take that deal? In order for it to be possible Lopez would have to be maxed out. No way they would want a maxed out injury prone player. They went through that twice before with Grant Hill and Tracy McGrady. Orlando would be better off letting Howard play out the year and walking away as a free agent. Having Howard's money come off the books is the best thing for a team that is having to rebuild.

In fact they would likely be in a much better position because the only way Howard would be able to get the $100 mil he wants would be through a sign and trade. Orlando could then get a much better then next year than anything the Nets are offering now.

Jarvo
07-02-2012, 07:24 PM
Dumbass trade, But hey the Nets will make the playoffs IF Dwill resigns but dumbass trade :facepalm:

MickeyMgl
07-02-2012, 07:24 PM

its sad it took 10 posts for someone to mention this point

It's moot, isn't it. Howard has said his list of teams he would re-sign with consists of one team. Presumably, the Nets. He has dropped the bottom out of his trade value. The Nets either get him now in trade, for cheap, or they get him next season in free agency.

Mr.B
07-02-2012, 07:28 PM
It's moot, isn't it. Howard has said his list of teams he would re-sign with consists of one team. Presumably, the Nets. He has dropped the bottom out of his trade value. The Nets either get him now in trade, for cheap, or they get him next season in free agency.

Unless Dwight signs for the MLE exception next year there is no way the Nets would have room to sign him. Orlando isn't going to take on a bunch of contracts and players they don't want just to make Howard happy. They're better off letting him walk and gaining the cap space.

lvlheaded
07-02-2012, 07:29 PM
^ if they resign DWill, they will be capped out and won't be able to afford Howard. Unless he comes for the MLE

goalie
07-02-2012, 07:35 PM
Are Brook Lopez, Travis Outlaw, Gerald Wallace, Joe Johnson, and Marshon Brooks all thats on the books? Whats that $40M?

Dwight is $20M minus whatever would go to ORL (Lopez, Brooks and picks)

Puts them at $52M before they go over the cap re-signing their own free agent, Deron Williams and Humphries.

This isn't still possible? Are those numbers wrong somewhere?

5-Howard
4-Humphries
3-Wallace
2-Johnson
1-Deron

Suffer for a year with a bench of minimum deals, get your mid-level money and fill out the roster next summer?

FarOutIos
07-02-2012, 07:37 PM
I think once they traded for Deron they put themselves in win-now mode. Then, they traded for Wallace in order to provide enough talent on the team to keep deron.

I commend the FO for trying to do what it takes to win. Adding Johnson is just anther sign of their commitment.

I am not so sure that the Lopez, Brooks and picks deal is that bad for Orlando. Lopez and Nicholson at PF/C could be good. Then they have at least one good guard. They would definitely be a young rebuilding team that would get a high pick next year. That would help in the rebuilding process...

Pistol_Pete
07-02-2012, 07:41 PM

C-Howard
PF-Humpries
SF-Wallace
SG-Johnson
PG-Williams

Yep, just like others said, I'm pretty sure this won't fit under the cap. From every report I'm seeing it seems that based on this trade, the Nets cannot trade for Dwight OR sign in at the send of the season. Sure, they could sign him if he takes a giant pay cut at the end of the season, but that's unlikely.

This move is based on one of the following:

a) stupidity
b) panic
c) something clever that they know and we don't.

Tha Truth
07-02-2012, 07:53 PM
Wow the Hawks outsmarted the Nets big time. Trading them Joe Johnson which puts them out of the running for Howard.

And it give the Hawks cap space and rid of one of the worst contracts in the NBA.

Wow smart move by the Hawks and terrible move by the Nets.

Sssmush
07-02-2012, 07:53 PM
Orlando not dealing dwight to them. Nj is decsive.

Bigbadmoffo
07-02-2012, 08:08 PM

If GM Billy King is trying to compete for a 3-4 seed every year, trading for JJ and having D-will is a GREAT idea.

If they are trying to win and compete for championships, they need to get Dwight Howard, who is literally BEGGING them to come to Brooklyn.

If I am the Nets, I do not give a **** I wait for a year if I need to and I sign DH 12. 26 years old, and easily the best center in the league, and one of the best if not THE BEST big man in the league.

Joe Johnson+GW+Williams+Lopez is nice, but will not get them past the elite teams, its the Atlanta Hawks all over again.

If they want 5-6 years of making the playoffs, great, but I thought the goal was to win championships.

I think they did it cause dwill is not resigning and they want a franchise player.

Bigbadmoffo
07-02-2012, 08:16 PM
Are Brook Lopez, Travis Outlaw, Gerald Wallace, Joe Johnson, and Marshon Brooks all thats on the books? Whats that $40M?

Puts them at $52M before they go over the cap re-signing their own free agent, Deron Williams and Humphries.

5-Howard
4-Humphries
3-Wallace
2-Johnson
1-Deron

Suffer for a year with a bench of minimum deals, get your mid-level money and fill out the roster next summer?

Deron, jJ, Lopez will not leave enough to offer max.

Ty Fast
07-02-2012, 08:17 PM

the problem with that is then d will goes 2 dallas then. they needed 2 do something 2 keep d will. but i do understand wut your saying. i dont see the nets winning a title with that line up. plus they could still trade 4 d12.

dtmagnet
07-02-2012, 08:22 PM

5-Howard
4-Humphries
3-Wallace
2-Johnson
1-Deron

Theres a cap hold for Deron Williams unless he signs somewhere else or they renounce his bird rights, so what you're saying ain't possible.

JerseysFinest
07-02-2012, 08:25 PM
Nets knew it would be unlikely they could get Howard through a trade, so they moved on. After considering it more, I'm starting to like it. Nets now arguably have one of the best backcourts in the league (assuming Deron re-signs), and can be a pretty solid team going forward. No one is expecting them to win a championship overnight, but overall it's not too shabby.

lkingratedr
07-02-2012, 08:26 PM
Don't yall think this may be precursor to a bigger trade ... Johnson plus someone to magic for Dwight and turk

lamar2006
07-02-2012, 08:26 PM
Joe Johnson the 24 million a year player. Great, job Nets you think Williams and Joe Johnson are championship material? Enjoy your 8th seed and 1st round exit.

shead5223
07-02-2012, 08:29 PM
What is wrong with you guys??? The Nets can still get Howard. They can sign and trade Lopez and Humphries plus brooks and poss a pick and thats more than enough, especially when you consider that its either trade him to Brooklyn or lose him for nothing because reports are he will use his injury to nix a deal to any other team. Howard being a whiny brat has forced Orlando's hand and they have no choice or just flat lose him for nothing.

They will have to live off a bench of scrubs until each year with the MLE giving them a boost player each season. Its not ideal but possible and that lineup could def compete with Miami
PG- Deron
SG- Joe Johnson
SF- Wallace
PF- veteran
C-Howard

Deemerc
07-02-2012, 08:30 PM
Knicks have one playoff win in 12 years but yet there fans seem to forget this.

RB#20
07-02-2012, 08:30 PM
The only one who is more pissed off than the Nets fans about this trade is Avery Johnson. It gives me hope that the Celtics can get Brook Lopez though.

Celtics receive:
Brook Lopez
2014 1st round pick

Nets receive:
Chris Wilcox
Delonte West (via sign & trade)
a bag of chili & cheese Fritos
$2.95
a Blue Draw 2 Card
and a pair of Jordache Jeans

Fair trade. :)

shead5223
07-02-2012, 08:31 PM
or use wallace as part of tghe sign and trade deal if they do it asap.

Beltrans Mole
07-02-2012, 08:34 PM
Knicks have one playoff win in 12 years but yet there fans seem to forget this.

Yeah you're right. They should bow down to Billy King and the Nets, as they have mastered running an NBA organization.

Avenged
07-02-2012, 08:38 PM
Considering the Nets said they weren't going to trade for Dwight, and that Dwight blew his chance in March... this is not a bad deal for them.

Sure JJ's contract is ugly, but this deal still makes them a better team. Deron/JJ/Lopez is not the best team, and they surely won't be contending but at least they have improved.

goalie
07-02-2012, 08:39 PM
Theres a cap hold for Deron Williams unless he signs somewhere else or they renounce his bird rights, so what you're saying ain't possible.

Doesnt the cap hold just prevent a team from using space in FA? These are all trades.

Spurred1
07-02-2012, 08:44 PM
What is wrong with you guys??? The Nets can still get Howard. They can sign and trade Lopez and Humphries plus brooks and poss a pick and thats more than enough, especially when you consider that its either trade him to Brooklyn or lose him for nothing because reports are he will use his injury to nix a deal to any other team. Howard being a whiny brat has forced Orlando's hand and they have no choice or just flat lose him for nothing.

They will have to live off a bench of scrubs until each year with the MLE giving them a boost player each season. Its not ideal but possible and that lineup could def compete with Miami
PG- Deron
SG- Joe Johnson
SF- Wallace
PF- veteran
C-Howard

Why would the Magic want to take Lopez and Humphries? Neither one is rebuild material. Neither one makes enough(hell, combined) to compensate for Dwight's salary, either. They aren't going to want Gerald Wallace's contract, either. He's a very good player, but his style of play often leaves him injured. Not very appealing to the Magic.
The Magic should tell Dwight to shut up, stop playing the victim, honor the contract, and walk next year. His leaving will erase his salary from their books. From what I've read, the Magic will want to rebuild-Wallace,Humphries, and a player prone to foot injuries are not going to be considered young players you rebuild with. Marshon Brooks is the only one the Magic could use. Being freed of Dwight's salary can help them start rebuilding.

TEXASTITAN
07-02-2012, 08:48 PM

C-Howard
PF-Humpries
SF-Wallace
SG-Johnson
PG-Williams

That offers already been made and rejected. Not to mention now that they have jj's 90 million on the books and plan on bringing Dwill back they wont have the cap room for Howard now anyway. JJ coming to the Nets signals the end of the Howard to Nets talk the dream is over.

smiddy012
07-02-2012, 08:49 PM
NJ just threw in the towel for getting DH this year IMO. They know he wants to come there so they're just building in preparation. That said I have no idea how they'll be able to afford all of GW, DW, JJ, and DH.

Deron
Johnson
Wallace
Lopez
DH

Impossible no doubt but that would be the best team in the league IMO, with or without Lopez.

llemon
07-02-2012, 08:55 PM
NJ just threw in the towel for getting DH this year IMO. They know he wants to come there so they're just building in preparation. That said I have no idea how they'll be able to afford all of GW, DW, JJ, and DH.

Deron
Johnson
Wallace
Lopez
DH

Impossible no doubt but that would be the best team in the league IMO, with or without Lopez.

**** that mental midget Dwight Howard.

Enough of Nets waiting until next season.

Nets will be a competitive team. After having to put up with Ratner/Thorn and Carter and Yi and Petro and Outlaw, I just want to see the Nets play a good brand of basketball.

JerseysFinest
07-02-2012, 08:57 PM
**** that mental midget dwight howard.

Enough of nets waiting until next season.

nets will be a competitive team. After having to put up with ratner/thorn and carter and yi and petro and outlaw, i just want to see the nets play a good brand of basketball.

preach.

TEXASTITAN
07-02-2012, 09:01 PM

PG- Deron
SG- Joe Johnson
SF- Wallace
PF- veteran
C-Howard

You are completely ignoring the fact that the Magic won't trade him to the Nets you have the least valuable trade package to offer out of the other teams wanting to trade for Dwight. Notice I said (other) teams because you seem to be ignoring the (other) teams interested in Howard it ain't just the Nets. Houston and LA could both offer a lot more to Orlando than BK can and if you think Howard is going to walk away from whoever he gets traded to and give up all that extra money that team can offer then youu haven't been paying attention. He opted in that extra year with Orlando for the money and he'll resign with whoever trades for him for the same reason money. Y'all don't wanna believe it but he's not going to the Nets not after this trade even Broussard admits Dwight blew his chance and it's gone.

Raps08-09 Champ
07-02-2012, 09:20 PM
There is something called a salary cap bro.

You can fit all that under the soft cap.

They trade for JJ, use their bird rights to exceed the cap to resign Humpries, Wallace and Williams. Then trade Lopez for Howard. They can fill up the roster with bums.

Raps08-09 Champ
07-02-2012, 09:21 PM
Yep, just like others said, I'm pretty sure this won't fit under the cap. From every report I'm seeing it seems that based on this trade, the Nets cannot trade for Dwight OR sign in at the send of the season. Sure, they could sign him if he takes a giant pay cut at the end of the season, but that's unlikely.

This move is based on one of the following:

a) stupidity
b) panic
c) something clever that they know and we don't.

Why can't they trade for Dwight Howard?

Raps08-09 Champ
07-02-2012, 09:23 PM
That offers already been made and rejected. Not to mention now that they have jj's 90 million on the books and plan on bringing Dwill back they wont have the cap room for Howard now anyway. JJ coming to the Nets signals the end of the Howard to Nets talk the dream is over.

If the Magic want something, they might as well trade for Lopez, Marshon, other fillers and picks for Howard.

They have the bird rights for Humpries, Wallace and Williams. Can they not go over the cap to resign their players?

waveycrockett
07-02-2012, 09:33 PM
If the Magic want something, they might as well trade for Lopez, Marshon, other fillers and picks for Howard.

They have the bird rights for Humpries, Wallace and Williams. Can they not go over the cap to resign their players?

Exactly. Do they really think HOU is going to give them something better for a rental months of Dwight Howard? LOL

VinceCarter
07-02-2012, 09:35 PM
All I know is this should get interesting.

And by interesting I mean a royal pain in my ***!!!

CEasFiRe
07-02-2012, 09:40 PM
why wouldnt they resign humphries whose clearly a very underrated player, Wallace was just an awful trade to begin with, a team with johnson dwill lopez and humphries is actually a solid core..

Yankees22
07-02-2012, 09:41 PM
In terms of the Nets trading for Dwight Howard, there isn't a chance that is gonna happen now. You have to keep in mind that the Magic want to dump a few bad contracts along with Dwight so I can't imagine the Nets would be able to absorb that right now. As far as them signing him next season, I suppose it may be possible. I really have no idea what the Nets cap situation is like but I do know that Joe Johnson makes an absurd amount of money and so will Deron Williams so I'd imagine Dwight would have to take a discount to play for the Nets which he may or may not be willing to do it's hard to say

waveycrockett
07-02-2012, 09:44 PM
In terms of the Nets trading for Dwight Howard, there isn't a chance that is gonna happen now. You have to keep in mind that the Magic want to dump a few bad contracts along with Dwight so I can't imagine the Nets would be able to absorb that right now. As far as them signing him next season, I suppose it may be possible. I really have no idea what the Nets cap situation is like but I do know that Joe Johnson makes an absurd amount of money and so will Deron Williams so I'd imagine Dwight would have to take a discount to play for the Nets which he may or may not be willing to do it's hard to say

The Magic are still looking to re-sign Jameer Nelson and Ryan Anderson. They aren't shedding Payroll just Turk.

Yankees22
07-02-2012, 09:46 PM
The Magic are still looking to re-sign Jameer Nelson and Ryan Anderson. They aren't shedding Payroll just Turk.

I was very much under the impression that they were looking to dump 2 of the 3 which include Turk, Richardson or Davis. I mean they certainly aren't going to get fair value for Dwight, so the least they could do is get rid of the bad deals they currently have

tredigs
07-02-2012, 09:50 PM
I cannot believe a team willingly took on Joe Johnson's contract. This is a guy who is going to cost you 25 million during the 2015/2016 season when he's in his mid 30's putting up 15/3/3. He's never had a PER of 20. He's a career choke artist in the playoffs. Maybe the most infamous I know of.

I don't get the strategy here other than a last ditch attempt to put together some "names" for your roster in hopes of keeping Deron. But, in doing so you also lost all chance at D12, who I thought was the prime objective for them, and apparently the feelings were mutual (at least, today. With a bi-polar megalomaniac, you never know).

But yeah, I think Joe Johnson's a good player - he just is not a player worth 15 million a year this season, let alone 25 in 4. I've been quietly rooting for the Nets to get something going this year, but this is a gross/franchise debilitating acquisition.

justinnum1
07-02-2012, 09:52 PM
I cannot believe a team willingly took on Joe Johnson's contract. This is a guy who is going to cost you 25 million during the 2015/2016 season when he's in his mid 30's putting up 15/3/3. He's never had a PER of 20. He's a career choke artist in the playoffs. Maybe the most infamous I know of.

I don't get the strategy here other than a last ditch attempt to put together some "names" for your roster in hopes of keeping Deron. But, in doing so you also lost all chance at D12, who I thought was the prime objective for them and apparently the feelings were mutual (at least, today. With a bi-polar megalomaniac, you never know).

But yeah, I think Joe Johnson's a good player - he just is not a player worth 15 million a year this, let alone 25 in 4. I've been quietly rooting for the Nets to get something going this year, but this is a gross/franchise debilitating acquisition.
agree but i dont see them taking on that contract without knowing deron will resign.

tredigs
07-02-2012, 09:56 PM
agree but i dont see them taking on that contract without knowing deron will resign.
100% opposite p.o.v.

I don't see them taking on that contract with knowing he'll sign.

Why would you if Deron's already locked up? At that point I'd be focused on creating the strongest team possible, not acquiring a name.

JasonJohnHorn
07-02-2012, 09:56 PM
Right now they are trying to keep D-Will. If D-Will goes to Dallas, there is not DH12 coming to the Nets. What they are trying to do is build a solid starting line-up. And guess what. They've done it.

PG: D-Will
SG: JJ
SF: Gerald Wallace
C: Lopez

And they managed to keep Brooks in that deal with Atlanta which gives them a little depth in the back court. The Nets are trying to make it clear to D-Will that they WILL spend money to surround D-Will with talent.

As for Dwight, yes, he would be a huge upgrade from Lopez, who can't even out rebound some PGs, but they can't land him without gutting their roster. They may be able to work a sign-and-trade with Humph and Lopez and throw in some picks still, and maybe even throw Brooks into the trade to sweeten it up, so DH12 is not out of the question at this point.

What the Nets do have, so long as they retain D-Will (and Kidd will follow) is likely the best back court rotation in the league (D-Will/JJ/Brooks/Kidd).

VinceCarter
07-02-2012, 09:59 PM
Right now they are trying to keep D-Will. If D-Will goes to Dallas, there is not DH12 coming to the Nets. What they are trying to do is build a solid starting line-up. And guess what. They've done it.

PG: D-Will
SG: JJ
SF: Gerald Wallace
C: Lopez

And they managed to keep Brooks in that deal with Atlanta which gives them a little depth in the back court. The Nets are trying to make it clear to D-Will that they WILL spend money to surround D-Will with talent.

As for Dwight, yes, he would be a huge upgrade from Lopez, who can't even out rebound some PGs, but they can't land him without gutting their roster. They may be able to work a sign-and-trade with Humph and Lopez and throw in some picks still, and maybe even throw Brooks into the trade to sweeten it up, so DH12 is not out of the question at this point.

What the Nets do have, so long as they retain D-Will (and Kidd will follow) is likely the best back court rotation in the league (D-Will/JJ/Brooks/Kidd).

You excite me with your optimism! haha can't wait for Barclays to open up on my 21st birthday and the Nets to have a playoff race team.

Losoway
07-02-2012, 10:00 PM
They still can get howard

and johnson can still give u 20-25 per game with a great pg and guess what they have? a great pg

i think it was a good move , they gave up a bunch of scrubs and got a allstar player

Ill21
07-02-2012, 10:06 PM

Why do you bring the Knicks into everything. We could be in the MLB forum talking about the all star game and you would still find a way to take a jab at the Knicks. It is clear as da that you are a troll. O wait let me guess what you will say in response to this. U mad?

Spiderman 1nner
07-02-2012, 10:09 PM
Say what you want but taking on anyone who wants to be "the guy" is bad for team chemistry. I don't care how talented Dwight is, when you let a player run the show, its never gonna end well. The way I see it, they got a core of humble guys who will do what it takes to win and will ultimately pay off with good team chemistry and that's how you win a championship. If the nets traded everyone to get Dwight, there's just no way they would have been deep enough to compete with Miami. I think the way this roster is built now has a far better chance at a title because they still have brooks and Lopez plus they got the mle to go out and get someone decent to come off the bench ie Jason terry? Plus they got bird rights to humphries and Kidd will come for the vets minimum. This is a much better squad

justinnum1
07-02-2012, 10:16 PM
Why do you bring the Knicks into everything. We could be in the MLB forum talking about the all star game and you would still find a way to take a jab at the Knicks. It is clear as da that you are a troll. O wait let me guess what you will say in response to this. U mad?

i try to keep it on topic, would be nice if you could do the same.

This is the nets first year in NY...i think their main goal aside from trying to contend would be to be the best team in NY. Do you disagree?

Mr.B
07-02-2012, 10:17 PM

5-Howard
4-Humphries
3-Wallace
2-Johnson
1-Deron

Your math is a little off. Deron, Johnson, and Dwight will be making about $20 mil each. Throw in Wallace's contract and you have 4 players that will put you about right at the cap this year (assuming the cap will be just over $70 mil). You're not going to find 8 guys that are all willing to play for the minimum.

mballa22191
07-02-2012, 10:21 PM
I cant believe that they traded the worst contract in the NBA and didn't have to take one bad contract.. This is unreal

AddiX
07-02-2012, 10:28 PM
You guys are hating way to hard, and thisnis coming from a Knicks fan, nets are doing the right thing.

Brooklyn has a legit starting 5, JJ may not be a superstar, and with deron he won't have to be, who cares if he's overpaid, most the players in the NBA are overpaid, this move makes them a lot better.

C-Wick925
07-02-2012, 10:31 PM
Everyone in the ATL is :dance: tonight

Kevj77
07-02-2012, 10:33 PM
The Nets are just trying to keep Dwill at this point. They know the Magic don't like what they have to offer.

Ill21
07-02-2012, 11:32 PM
i try to keep it on topic, would be nice if you could do the same.

This is the nets first year in NY...i think their main goal aside from trying to contend would be to be the best team in NY. Do you disagree?

Absolutely I agree that should be there goal.

THE MTL
07-02-2012, 11:40 PM
Nets arent finished making moves. This is only the beginning.

xxcubs22xx
07-03-2012, 05:19 AM
Worst

trade

ever.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
07-03-2012, 05:25 AM
I cant believe that they traded the worst contract in the NBA and didn't have to take one bad contract.. This is unreal

two simple words: Billy King

Whomewhome
07-03-2012, 06:14 AM
Billy King is not thinking about Playoffs we are thinking about tomorrow and today. Signing Dwill is the priority. Do everything you can to sign him, everything else can be altered as we go along.

The aim is not to move into a new arena without any buzz and superstars. (NETS won't do the same mistake as the NETS)

WickedBadMan
07-03-2012, 06:19 AM
Not sure how it will happen, but think it will end up being Williams, Smith and Howard.

kdspurman
07-03-2012, 09:06 AM
Not sure how it will happen, but think it will end up being Williams, Smith and Howard.

Yea. This thread might have been done a little prematurely, but wouldn't expect anything less.

Whomewhome
07-03-2012, 09:23 AM
I am tired but who is Smith?

GMEN4EVER
07-03-2012, 09:24 AM
This deal for Johnson largely ensures they have at least one star for the opening of their new arena. It also makes it more likely for Deron Williams to stay. And they still have an opportunity to acquire Dwight. If they wind up with a core of Deron, Joe Johnson, Gerald Wallace, and Dwight, then this will be a hell of a team in the future. That's a great core to build around.

It's far from a lock they'll pull it off, but they've given themselves a shot at an impressive haul in one off season. Give it a couple weeks before you judge their move. If it all blows up in their face and they lose out on Deron and Dwight, fine. That would obviously suck for them. But they've got a shot at putting together 4 all stars.

MrlooktheFup
07-03-2012, 09:49 AM

i completely agree with your point. But how are they suppose to move into a new area in Brooklyn without a team to compete with? chances are if they had to wait until next year to try and sign Dwight i doubt Deron would consider staying at this point. The Joe Johnson deal i thought was a bit premature but its not like they haven't been waiting.

YouAreSoWrong
07-03-2012, 10:12 AM
verrrry few people are missing the overall point of these moves...and ill explain:

Nets need to
1) become competitive for their new opening...if they resign Deron Williams, a team of D Will, JJ, G Wallace, B Lopez is a competitive team and u could see them able to shock some teams in the playoffs.

2) Build a better package for Dwight...you people mean to tell me that by Trade Deadline, the Magic aren't going to listen to offers for 2/3 or even all 3 of JJ/Lopez/Wallace?? C'mon guys...these deals are moves to bolster their roster and assets to still acquire Dwight...

BKLYNpigeon
07-03-2012, 10:31 AM
D-Will Gerald Wallace and JJ are still better then the Knicks.

justinnum1
07-03-2012, 10:36 AM
D-Will Gerald Wallace and JJ are still better then the Knicks.

100% agree. now if the knicks get nash they would be better imo, but as of now i think the nets are better.

jimm120
07-03-2012, 10:51 AM
100% agree. now if the knicks get nash they would be better imo, but as of now i think the nets are better.

I do not think the JJ/Deron/Wallace trio is better. In no way. Melo>Deron; Amare=JJ; Tyson>Wallace.

Now, add in Dwight and it definitely goes in the Nets favor.

But whatever. I'm happy for BROOKLYN. as long as in this first season they don't do better than the Knicks, I'm happy.

27atwater
07-03-2012, 10:55 AM
Melo and Amare may just be the 2 most overrated players of the decade. Sure they can score. YAY! But what has that ever gotten them? Bounced by real teams/players on an annual basis.

xnick5757
07-03-2012, 10:56 AM
I do not think the JJ/Deron/Wallace trio is better. In no way. Melo>Deron; Amare=JJ; Tyson>Wallace.

Now, add in Dwight and it definitely goes in the Nets favor.

But whatever. I'm happy for BROOKLYN. as long as in this first season they don't do better than the Knicks, I'm happy.

wut

justinnum1
07-03-2012, 11:05 AM
wut

for real.

i take dwill over melo any day

drew_ellis_23
07-03-2012, 11:14 AM

You forget. Nets have all the leverage. Howard will only resign with the Nets. Nobody will trade much more for a rental. Magic will get Hump, and Lopez in sign and trade deals and 3 future 1st rounders from what I am hearing. Nets will be pretty legit if this happens.

Beantownsboss
07-03-2012, 12:44 PM
Now the full mle to the foreigner who hasnt played in the nba, maybe he can make the transition idk

ldawg
07-03-2012, 12:48 PM
He is doing what many sorry owners dont do. The guy got some big ones. He is putting a team on the floor that is worth watching and not sitting back playing the draft hoping to get lucky and complaining about the big market.

NYKnicks4511
07-03-2012, 07:55 PM
Amare and Chandler > Bynum + Mwp > Trash from Nets for D12 and Turk

ChitownBears22
07-03-2012, 07:57 PM
Amare and Chandler > Bynum + Mwp > Trash from Nets for D12 and Turk

Drinking and trolling at it's finest.

metsfan4ever
07-03-2012, 08:54 PM
Brooklyn is not gonna win with these bums around 2 superstars, fam. Be serious for a minute.

MarShon Brooks Ilkan Karaman Anthony Morrow Johan Petro Tornike Shengelia Tyshawn Taylor Jordan Williams

Nah *****. Brooklyn is gonna be no better than 5th in the east next year.

beasted86
07-03-2012, 08:56 PM
Brooklyn is not gonna win with these bums around 2 superstars, fam. Be serious for a minute.

MarShon Brooks Ilkan Karaman Anthony Morrow Johan Petro Tornike Shengelia Tyshawn Taylor Jordan Williams

Nah *****. Brooklyn is gonna be no better than 5th in the east next year.

And what are the Knicks going to be?