PDA

View Full Version : Is there a reason Lakers FO/Fans overvalue their players?

Cfrey
07-02-2012, 04:55 PM
I'd really like to know if there is a reason why?? I've honestly never seen a fan base/ FO overvalue their players more than anybody in professional sports?? And frankly I think it's kind of disrespectful to be honest.

They wanted more than Josh Smith for Gasol?? That's about as good as its going to get and quite frankly I hope they don't make a trade and end up hurting themselves in the long run.

I'd also like to mention that the Lakers were the ones who called the wolves about Gasol. It wasn't the other way around so for any of the ppl balked at the wolves offer you should realize it was your team trying to pursue it in the first place lol.. They also suggested we offer dwill for the bobcats second pick.

If someone could post that link for me that would be great. Currently on my phones

Phenomenonsense
07-02-2012, 05:01 PM
IF you overvalue your players, some people will think they're only slightly over valued by you, which is still more valuable than they really are, and you get better trades. The trades take longer, but you get them.

StarvingKnick22
07-02-2012, 05:01 PM
ask Kobe. he's the Front Office.

Lakers + Giants
07-02-2012, 05:03 PM
What's the point of making a trade for a player when you get equal value back in return. If it's not an upgrade (which the lakers always aim for) then what's the point of trading? Just for the sake of trading? That's pointless. That's why lakers always want more back in return. . .they don't make trades if they don't feel they're on the winning end of the deal. Simple as that. That's why lakers have always been the best.

DeadMemories
07-02-2012, 05:05 PM
Bargaining and trade potential. Nothing wrong with trying to get the most value they can. The lakers seem to be happy with what they have so they don't have make any trades.

Avenged
07-02-2012, 05:05 PM
Kind of lame to bash when it has worked throughout Lakers history.

Cfrey
07-02-2012, 05:07 PM
I want to say I saw kb pau or whatever his username say the only way the lakers should trade with the wolves was if Rubio or love was involved.. Now I'm not sure it was him so don't quote me but regardless it was still a lakers fan and that's just absolute garbage..

You think a 32 y/old Gasol is worth a PG who is only 21 and has potential to be a top five PG in this league? You think Gasol is worth the best PG in the league? LOL that's just blasphemous

The goods
Hahaha the Lakers aren't the only ones who do it as a matter of fact every GOOD team does it, bsaw the Knicks do it when they were trading for melo.

waveycrockett
They feel entitled and are spoiked. Same as Yankee fans. I can't blame them they are apart of maybe the greatest organization in sports but I think the Gasol trade really had them believing the NBA and Stern would never let them not be great.

GiantsSwaGG
Who cAres?

Vinylman
The Lakers FO track record speaks for itself when it comes to big deals

Lakers + Giants
07-02-2012, 05:08 PM
I want to say I saw kb pau or whatever his username say the only way the lakers should trade with the wolves was if Rubio or love was involved.. Now I'm not sure it was him so don't quote me but regardless it was still a lakers fan and that's just absolute garbage..

You think a 32 y/old Gasol is worth a PG who is only 21 and has potential to be a top five PG in this league? You think Gasol is worth the best PG in the league? LOL that's just blasphemous

So because 1 laker fan said that all laker fans think like that? Sound's reasonable. .

The goods
kind of lame to bash when it has worked throughout lakers history.

championships!!!!!!

zB_#85

this. do they usually win trades? yes. seems like the point of trading to me. and at the end of the day, if they don't move Pau b/c they "overvalue" him then that's still not a bad day. one of the top PF's in the league, 2 7 footers in the frontcourt. man, sucks to be the Lakers.

JollyRanch
07-02-2012, 05:10 PM
Lakers should def consider moving Pau for Smith. They could be shopping around first before coming back to that deal. Gasol has become average and getting anything for him would be a steal.

Blitzbolt
07-02-2012, 05:10 PM
A team like the Gizzlies will fall for it. happens all the time.

topdog
07-02-2012, 05:12 PM
What's the point of making a trade for a player when you get equal value back in return. If it's not an upgrade (which the lakers always aim for) then what's the point of trading? Just for the sake of trading? That's pointless. That's why lakers always want more back in return. . .they don't make trades if they don't feel they're on the winning end of the deal. Simple as that. That's why lakers have always been the best.

Better fit. Stagnant dynamic. Disgruntled players. Punitive luxury tax. Ect.

Always working is debatable. The Shaq trade wasn't so hot. Smush Parker ended up as the starting PG for awhile... that was sad.

DerekRE_3
07-02-2012, 05:13 PM
all fans overrate their players

Rocco007
07-02-2012, 05:16 PM
I'd really like to know if there is a reason why?? I've honestly never seen a fan base/ FO overvalue their players more than anybody in professional sports?? And frankly I think it's kind of disrespectful to be honest.

They wanted more than Josh Smith for Gasol?? That's about as good as its going to get and quite frankly I hope they don't make a trade and end up hurting themselves in the long run.

I'd also like to mention that the Lakers were the ones who called the wolves about Gasol. It wasn't the other way around so for any of the ppl balked at the wolves offer you should realize it was your team trying to pursue it in the first place lol.. They also suggested we offer dwill for the bobcats second pick.

If someone could post that link for me that would be great. Currently on my phones

Truthfully, How many centers in the NBA are better than Gasol? We won 2 championships with him at the 5 position...Big men bring premium assets and command big money contracts...Thats just how it is..and we're not desperate...

Cfrey
07-02-2012, 05:18 PM

I don't see how it's lame at all lol. It's besides the point if it's worked or not they have been overvaluing their players ASTRONMICALLY as of late. And yes I have the right to bash when they are trying to rape a team by trading a 32 year old gasol with 38 million dollars left on his deal lol.

And you guys are trying to tell me that josh smith wouldn't be some what of an upgrade?? You have to realize that trades can work better for both teams and the lakers don't have to disrespect other teams when someone gives a legitimate offer. Josh smith is younger, more athletic and about as good as they are going to get for gasol.

In fact I hope teams just keep hanging up on them

BigBongTheory
07-02-2012, 05:19 PM
Pau Gasol is underrated, If you spend your time on psd in the Laker forum many Laker fans complain and insult Pau Gasol because they think they could do better every single play I guess.

The Lakers FO knows how much Gasol is worth, He was the 3rd option for a team that has Kobe and Bynum on it, Could you imagine what Gasol's numbers would be if he was a #1 option these last few years of his career? If he was the go to main man? As a #1 option last year he would have easily averaged 22 13 imo. If a deal is in place that the Lakers like than there it is, if not they still have Pau Gasol in the frontcourt, simple as that. Every team wants even slightly more value or potential in a trade, there has to be reason to give up a core player. If someone is desperate, they will give up a few more dollars to get it if they are close.

Cfrey
07-02-2012, 05:20 PM
Gasol is by far and away not the same player he was when they won two championships. This is maybe a top 20 player in the league right now.

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if they wanted horford and smith for gasol which is just laughable

Vinylman
07-02-2012, 05:21 PM
Better fit. Stagnant dynamic. Disgruntled players. Punitive luxury tax. Ect.

Always working is debatable. The Shaq trade wasn't so hot. Smush Parker ended up as the starting PG for awhile... that was sad.

Again... focusing on the short term...

you must of forgot all the other players the Lakers lost that offseason...

Lakers weren't gonna be competitive with shaq... i really don't expect non-Laker fans to understand this though

Cfrey
07-02-2012, 05:23 PM
Yeah but the reason they are overvaluing him is because he didn't average 22 and 13 lol and pau gasol could never be a number one option. Why would a team think Gasol could be a number 1 option? A team would trade for gasol to try and get a great 7 footer who could help you take the next step. No team is going anywhere with gasol as the number 1 guy I'm sorry it's just the truth

BigBongTheory
07-02-2012, 05:23 PM
Gasol is by far and away not the same player he was when they won two championships. This is maybe a top 20 player in the league right now.

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if they wanted horford and smith for gasol which is just laughable

Your a box score kind of guy. I highly doubt it was Horford that was included.

cheddar08
07-02-2012, 05:24 PM
How many championships do the Lakers have? Oh ok more than the rest of the NBA combined outside of Boston.

Cfrey
07-02-2012, 05:25 PM
Do you really think the Hawks become a better team by parting ways with josh smith and maybe a horford or Teague ? Not a chance

cheddar08
07-02-2012, 05:26 PM
Oh and people pay the prices the Lakers want them to pay. That's what good GMs actually do.

BigBongTheory
Yeah but the reason they are overvaluing him is because he didn't average 22 and 13 lol and pau gasol could never be a number one option. Why would a team think Gasol could be a number 1 option? A team would trade for gasol to try and get a great 7 footer who could help you take the next step. No team is going anywhere with gasol as the number 1 guy I'm sorry it's just the truth

That is why OKC is going after Thabeet, because he is a 7 footer. I mean, it's simple enough. He doesn't even need to be a #1 like he was in Memphis, beside a great player like Steve Nash feeding him all game he would purely dominate.

cheddar08
I think Gasol is easily the Hawks best player.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
07-02-2012, 05:28 PM
wow really???

close this garbage

Cfrey
How many championships do the Lakers have? Oh ok more than the rest of the NBA combined outside of Boston.

And how many did they win in Minneapolis before they became such of an ******* type of organization?? Let's not forget where the lakers came from.. It's funny how a completely different team moves cross country to a new location and suddenly all you guys are entitled to those championships before most of us were even born lmao

BigBongTheory
Do you really think the Hawks become a better team by parting ways with josh smith and maybe a horford or Teague ? Not a chance

They probably asked for Smith and a pick which Atlanta feels Smith is enough for Gasol, which I'm not disagreeing with, If the Hawks want Gasol up your offer. I don't know what to say here, I'm not a Laker GM. And if I was I'd have nothing to tell you right now, or anyone.

JollyRanch
07-02-2012, 05:30 PM
Pau Gasol is underrated, If you spend your time on psd in the Laker forum many Laker fans complain and insult Pau Gasol because they think they could do better every single play I guess.

The Lakers FO knows how much Gasol is worth, He was the 3rd option for a team that has Kobe and Bynum on it, Could you imagine what Gasol's numbers would be if he was a #1 option these last few years of his career? If he was the go to main man? As a #1 option last year he would have easily averaged 22 13 imo. If a deal is in place that the Lakers like than there it is, if not they still have Pau Gasol in the frontcourt, simple as that. Every team wants even slightly more value or potential in a trade, there has to be reason to give up a core player. If someone is desperate, they will give up a few more dollars to get it if they are close.

No, he use to be underrated. But, after many years of his best Charmin' impressions and his ghost performances in two straight playoffs...he's overrated or rated right where he should be. Whatever we (LA Lakers) can get for him would be a blessing.

He's not a number one option and he's barely a number two option nowadays.

ThunderousDemon
07-02-2012, 05:30 PM
Close this ****. What if I made a thread saying how Cfrey is a ***** *** ****er?

ssnsocalfan
07-02-2012, 05:31 PM
I don't see how it's lame at all lol. It's besides the point if it's worked or not they have been overvaluing their players ASTRONMICALLY as of late. And yes I have the right to bash when they are trying to rape a team by trading a 32 year old gasol with 38 million dollars left on his deal lol.

And you guys are trying to tell me that josh smith wouldn't be some what of an upgrade?? You have to realize that trades can work better for both teams and the lakers don't have to disrespect other teams when someone gives a legitimate offer. Josh smith is younger, more athletic and about as good as they are going to get for gasol.

In fact I hope teams just keep hanging up on them

I think Gasol is easily the Hawks best player.

Actually the only reason they are thinking about moving Gasol, is because Bynum now controls the paint..

i dont want to loose Pau, Pau at the 5 in the east will be an all star. Pau right now is the chris bosh of the Lakers big 3....

i would like to give them a full offseason under mike brown, and let mike brown figure out how to properly use our big 3...

with a decent PG we will be back watch out!!!

cheddar08
07-02-2012, 05:34 PM
So the Lakers should just forget about those title in Minny yeaaaaa not gonna happen. My man you all sound mad in this thread. Spry your teams GMs are pretty garbage and have been behind the pace of champions for a while.

BigBongTheory
07-02-2012, 05:34 PM
No, he use to be underrated. But, after many years of his best Charmin' impressions and his ghost performances in two straight playoffs...he's overrated or rated right where he should be. Whatever we (LA Lakers) can get for him would be a blessing.

He's not a number one option and he's barely a number two option nowadays.

And you are what is wrong with the Laker Fan base. I don't want to be in the same boat as you when people call Laker fans arrogant and stuck up.

fresh prince
07-02-2012, 05:37 PM
Lamar Odom
Eddie Jones
Nick Van Exel

All say Hello.. These guys were all way undervalued and the Lakers got severely less back in return.

Nick Van Exel for Tony Battie and Tyronn Lue :confused::confused:

cheddar08
07-02-2012, 05:38 PM
Gasol took a backseat to Bynum and now all of a sudden he is garbage? I am down to trade him but not for scraps. If they don't deal him oh well he isn't hurting out team our lack of depth and shooting along with needing a PG screwed the Lakers.

BigBongTheory
07-02-2012, 05:38 PM
When I say he is underrated, I meant he is underrated by many because of this gathered up myth and these youtube videos people get a hold of, When people start complaining they ask what for, when they are told what for, some instantly take it to the conclusion it must be true if 5 people aren't happy. And then there is some that have him rated where he should be. The Lakers are aiming for one goal, what it is I don't know, but they have something on their mind like every other team in the NBA.

Cfrey
07-02-2012, 05:40 PM
Where did I say gasol is garbage? Let's not start putting words in my mouth.

And also I didn't know Josh Smith is a scrap? Lol you guys are actin like I think Gasol is worth a pair of Granny panties

JollyRanch
07-02-2012, 05:42 PM
And you are what is wrong with the Laker Fan base. I don't want to be in the same boat as you when people call Laker fans arrogant and stuck up.

What part of Gasol has regressed don't you understand? Have you watched basketball the last two seasons?

This has nothing to do with arrogance (don't even know what prompted you to state that) and everything to do with reality.

Please, stop overrating our players.

Lakers + Giants
07-02-2012, 05:43 PM
And how many did they win in Minneapolis before they became such of an ******* type of organization?? Let's not forget where the lakers came from.. It's funny how a completely different team moves cross country to a new location and suddenly all you guys are entitled to those championships before most of us were even born lmao

Your just mad lakers have more championships in Minny than the wolves :laugh:

cheddar08
07-02-2012, 05:44 PM
Where did I say gasol is garbage? Let's not start putting words in my mouth.

And also I didn't know Josh Smith is a scrap? Lol you guys are actin like I think Gasol is worth a pair of Grammy panties

Dont recalls specifically saying you said this but you act as is Smith for Gasol is a good swap. Gasol>>>>Smith.

cheddar08
07-02-2012, 05:46 PM
Gasol was the THIRD option at best every game how do you expect his production to increase?

LAKERMANIA
07-02-2012, 05:47 PM

For the last ****ing time... It's the same team...

It was called the Minneapolis LAKERS

Cfrey
07-02-2012, 05:48 PM
Haha yeah lakers24 I'm soda. Honestly I couldn't care less. This is where I grew up. I'm a wolves fan. Yeah it's hard for a small market team to win championships and that honestly has nothing to do with the thread.. He'll I wasn't even alive when the lakers were in Sota so again your point is irrelevant. Also are you really rolling on the floor over that?? Cause if so I think you need to get out and start upping your comedic side of your life lmao

Cfrey
07-02-2012, 05:52 PM
For the last ****ing time... It's the same team...

It was called the Minneapolis LAKERS

Again, this is irrelevant to the thread but just to let you know that team was in a different state. A different community. Are you trying to tell me that if the lakers were in Minnesota now you would be a fan?? Hahahaha no you wouldn't so shut the hell up. I couldnt care less if they hold the same team name it's completely different..

If you lived in California and liked the MINNEAPOLIS lakers and then they happened to move to your state than good for you but that's highly unlikely so enjoy championships that you probably weren't even alive for half way across the country. Keep telling yourself it's the same thing

Lakers + Giants
07-02-2012, 05:53 PM
Haha yeah lakers24 I'm soda. Honestly I couldn't care less. This is where I grew up. I'm a wolves fan. Yeah it's hard for a small market team to win championships and that honestly has nothing to do with the thread.. He'll I wasn't even alive when the lakers were in Sota so again your point is irrelevant. Also are you really rolling on the floor over that?? Cause if so I think you need to get out and start upping your comedic side of your life lmao

You're the one trying to piss people off over the internet. Look in the mirror before you talk ****.

JollyRanch
07-02-2012, 06:01 PM
but you act as is Smith for Gasol is a good swap. Gasol>>>>Smith.

it is

younger, cheaper, more athletic, better defender, and more importantly...Josh isn't soft

LAKERMANIA
07-02-2012, 06:02 PM
Again, this is irrelevant to the thread but just to let you know that team was in a different state. A different community. Are you trying to tell me that if the lakers were in Minnesota now you would be a fan?? Hahahaha no you wouldn't so shut the hell up.
What does that have to do with anything? I was born AFTER the Lakers moved from Minneapolis to Los Angeles, I was born in Los Angeles, so I support all Los Angeles teams, I grew up watching the Lakers so if I grew up watching the Minneapolis Lakers, then YES I would still be a Minneapolis Lakers Fan.

Also, that is quite possibly the dumbest point I've ever heard or read.. Congrats on making that list..

I couldnt care less if they hold the same team name it's completely different..

So if a company that started in Minnepolis changes ownership and changes its headquarters to a different city, the company as a whole is erased from the face of the earth? I dont understand that point.

If you lived in California and liked the MINNEAPOLIS lakers and then they happened to move to your state than good for you but that's highly unlikely so enjoy championships that you probably weren't even alive for half way across the country. Keep telling yourself it's the same thing

Just because I wasn't alive when they won those titles doesn't mean it is not a part of its history. The Lakers is an organization, and the Lakers organization has won 16 championships. 5 in Minneapolis and 11 in Los Angeles, it is ONE COMPANY, ONE ORGANIZATION, where the organization is located is irrelevant. :facepalm: :pity:

Cfrey
07-02-2012, 06:02 PM
I'm not trying to piss anyone off. If you are getting pissed off over this thread then I guess it looks like you need to reevaluate where you are in life lol.

If there are any subjective Lakers fans that would like to have a CONVERSATION I'll be right here. If you keep getting butthurt over this thread then just don't post in it. I'm not forcing you to respond so get the hell out of the thread then.

I could I be trying to piss anyone off when I don't control how you use your mouse. Thanks.

topdog
07-02-2012, 06:04 PM
Again... focusing on the short term...

you must of forgot all the other players the Lakers lost that offseason...

Lakers weren't gonna be competitive with shaq... i really don't expect non-Laker fans to understand this though

No, focusing on the Laker's fan who said there was no point to trading if you don't "win" the trade. Miami's 2006 championship says they won that trade.

LAKERMANIA
07-02-2012, 06:05 PM
No, focusing on the Laker's fan who said there was no point to trading if you don't "win" the trade. Miami's 2006 championship says they won that trade.

Miami with Shaq won 1 title.

Lakers after trading Shaq won 2.

/Convo

Lakers + Giants
07-02-2012, 06:06 PM

Shaq also basically got us gasol. 2 rings. they say hi as well.

Cfrey
07-02-2012, 06:08 PM
LAKERMANIA: you just said it yourself.. "changed ownership"

Yes I understand that a company that relocates retains the same history. I'm not an idiot but in my opinion I look at it as a separate parts of history. The LA LAKERS have won 11 championships.. Minneapolis lakers won 5. I mean **** I'm entitled to view it differently regardless of how it's put in the history books man ****

Lakers + Giants
07-02-2012, 06:12 PM
LAKERMANIA: you just said it yourself.. "changed ownership"

Yes I understand that a company that relocates retains the same history. I'm not an idiot but in my opinion I look at it as a separate parts of history. The LA LAKERS have won 11 championships.. Minneapolis lakers won 5. I mean **** I'm entitled to view it differently regardless of how it's put in the history books man ****

Exactly it's your opinion. Just like everyone else has their own. No need to act like you're right and everyone else is wrong though. Seriously though. Is your life that boring that you just decided to wake up and troll?

Cfrey
07-02-2012, 06:21 PM
So because I asked a question it means that I'm trying to troll?? Lol no.. I asked a question and this thread went a direction I didn't even want it to go.. I've been banned enough I'm not trying to get banned again lol.. I'm sitting in a car on a 1600 mile road trip so yeah I guess I'm a little bored right now.. Does that mean my life is a 1600 mile road trip ?? Haaha let's think before you post again man thanks

topdog
07-02-2012, 06:37 PM
Shaq also basically got us gasol. 2 rings. they say hi as well.

Basically how? I'm not getting the connection between Brian Grant, Caron Butler and Lamar Odom turning into 2 rings... it's a reach to extend the deal to include trading Butler for Brown and Brown for Gasol.

I think you are proving the point of this thread ;)

Lakers + Giants
07-02-2012, 06:39 PM
So because I asked a question it means that I'm trying to troll?? Lol no.. I asked a question and this thread went a direction I didn't even want it to go.. I've been banned enough I'm not trying to get banned again lol.. I'm sitting in a car on a 1600 mile road trip so yeah I guess I'm a little bored right now.. Does that mean my life is a 1600 mile road trip ?? Haaha let's think before you post again man thanks

U made a thread saying laker FANS over value their players off of 1 guy's post. Way to bash the WHOLE fan base because of 1 guy. That's trolling. Not that hard to understand.

Cfrey
07-02-2012, 06:50 PM
Yea because I definitely made a thread over one dudes post.. Lol I've been banned for a month and have been seeing it all over PSD so again making more assumptions lol nice.. If you think only 1 guy has overvalued your players you wrongly mistaken my friend lol

koberulesall
07-02-2012, 06:53 PM
LAKERRRR HATERRRRRRRRRR this website is FULL of them I LOVE IT! LAKERS ALWAYS GET MORE THAN WHAT THEY OFFERED ITS THE NBA'S POLICY LOL!

fadedmario
07-02-2012, 06:55 PM
lol - the Lakers future looks like ****. That's a fact.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
07-02-2012, 07:08 PM
lol - the Lakers future looks like ****. That's a fact.

lol, thanks nostradamus

DoubleDragon
07-02-2012, 07:16 PM

probably has something to do with the fact that this core of players has 3 all stars, and these same 3 have been to the finals 3 times in 5 years and netted the world championship twice.

Hmmm...other than that, they're just crazy in the head maybe??:rolleyes:

what are they thinking?

DoubleDragon
07-02-2012, 07:18 PM
U made a thread saying laker FANS over value their players off of 1 guy's post. Way to bash the WHOLE fan base because of 1 guy. That's trolling. Not that hard to understand.

:clap:

LAKERMANIA
07-02-2012, 07:19 PM
Basically how? I'm not getting the connection between Brian Grant, Caron Butler and Lamar Odom turning into 2 rings... it's a reach to extend the deal to include trading Butler for Brown and Brown for Gasol.

I think you are proving the point of this thread ;)

Because with Shaq gone we were able to build around a younger Kobe. Building around consists of acquiring Lamar Odom, using Caron Butler for Kwame Brown then sending Kwame Brown for Pau Gasol..

Post Shaq Lakers: 2 Titles

Post Kobe Shaq: 1 Title

juggla53
07-02-2012, 07:25 PM

they overvalue their players so much that from 2000-2010 they went to 7 championship games and won five rings with two completely different teams, a decade that any owner in sports would jump off a cliff for.

they gave away lamar odom for nothing, a couple years ago they refused to trade caron butler for carlos boozer one year and then the next traded him for kwame brown which we all know lead to the gasol trade, the lakers have a strange way of doing things but for some reason they usually work out pretty well for them and they rarley go long stretches without being legitimate titles contenders

Lakers + Giants
07-02-2012, 07:25 PM
Because with Shaq gone we were able to build around a younger Kobe. Building around consists of acquiring Lamar Odom, using Caron Butler for Kwame Brown then sending Kwame Brown for Pau Gasol..

Seriously. What was so hard to understand about that :shrug:

Let's just forget it lakermania. No need to waste our time here.

BigBongTheory
07-02-2012, 07:29 PM
it is

younger, cheaper, more athletic, better defender, and more importantly...Josh isn't soft

This is your arrogance, that is what prompted me to say you are what is wrong with the Laker fanbase, part of it anyway. You watch a couple dunks on youtube, hear a couple people picking softie on Gasol and your mind is set. You have strong opinions on someone that is tougher mentally and physically than you will ever be.

BigBongTheory
07-02-2012, 07:32 PM
Man some of you guys are regulars, I have seen most of you around the Laker forum on most days, lol you guys gotta calm down, Maybe I am the only sane, calm, down to earth Laker fan that has ever existed. Hmm, theres Shep33 I guess. That guy is :cool:

BigBongTheory
07-02-2012, 07:34 PM
I'm going to go eat some BBQ and think about Gasol's Charmin soft butt.

topdog
07-02-2012, 07:55 PM

Well, we're talking about team trades so if you want to extend the Shaq trade that far then extend it for both sides. The cap space that was eventually left from Shaq's departure led to Lebron and Bosh going to Miami.

Post Trade Lakers: 2 Titles

Post Trade Miami: 2 Titles

I would say that is equal value and that LA has reason's to make deals even when they don't "win" them.

Seriously. What was so hard to understand about that :shrug:

Let's just forget it lakermania. No need to waste our time here.

Why? Because you've been proven wrong? It's plain and simple: you can't win every trade and GMs know that they aren't going to (at least not outright). That's just arrogance and homerism to say the Lakers will only sign off on trades they win.

LAKERMANIA
07-02-2012, 07:59 PM
Well, we're talking about team trades so if you want to extend the Shaq trade that far then extend it for both sides. The cap space that was eventually left from Shaq's departure led to Lebron and Bosh going to Miami.

Post Trade Lakers: 2 Titles

Post Trade Miami: 2 Titles

I would say that is equal value and that LA has reason's to make deals even when they don't "win" them.

My post wasn't against the Miami organization, my post was more against Shaq, the Lakers rightfully so decided that building around a younger star is better than building around Shaq. Which they were right because I dont think the Lakers would have won another title if the Lakers decided to keep Shaq instead of Kobe..

YoungOne
07-02-2012, 08:14 PM

Thats why they gave away odom?

topdog
07-02-2012, 08:17 PM
My post wasn't against the Miami organization, my post was more against Shaq, the Lakers rightfully so decided that building around a younger star is better than building around Shaq. Which they were right because I dont think the Lakers would have won another title if the Lakers decided to keep Shaq instead of Kobe..

I agree with choosing Kobe over Shaq. Clearly, it was the right choice. That's not what I am arguing though. What got me interested in this thread was a Laker's fan saying that the organization sees no point in trading unless they outright win the trade. I disagreed.

Cfrey
07-02-2012, 08:23 PM
It's cause you love me topdog

LAKERMANIA
07-02-2012, 08:29 PM
I agree with choosing Kobe over Shaq. Clearly, it was the right choice. That's not what I am arguing though. What got me interested in this thread was a Laker's fan saying that the organization sees no point in trading unless they outright win the trade. I disagreed.

Oh well winning a trade is subjective.. So I guess I agree with your disagreement :D

TEXASTITAN
07-02-2012, 08:42 PM
After the way Gasol was stolen in the trade the Lakers got him in you really shouldn't be asking much for him anyway. Not to mention everyone in the league knows his value is at an all time low and he's owed almost 40 million over 3 years. You got him cheap to begin with you used him up and now expect top value in return lol keep him.

XerxestheGreat
07-02-2012, 08:43 PM
I can't believe OP is actually getting legitimate responses....

Hhmmmm let's see a championship every 5 yrs or so...yeah we Lakers fans and our front office should change our ways :facepalm: Don't be mad your team can't ...

Cfrey
07-02-2012, 08:46 PM
I can't believe xerxes act like he has anything to do with his teams championships smh go drive a bus or do whatever you do lol

Lakers + Giants
07-02-2012, 08:49 PM
Why? Because you've been proven wrong? It's plain and simple: you can't win every trade and GMs know that they aren't going to (at least not outright). That's just arrogance and homerism to say the Lakers will only sign off on trades they win.

Proven wrong by whom? When?

I also never said we win all trades, i said that's what lakers AIM for when making a trade. Of course they've lost, won and gotten equal value in return in trades, all teams have. I just stated that lakers AIM to improve and win every trade, I never said they actually did it every single time. Read a little next time before jumping to conclusions.

XerxestheGreat
07-02-2012, 08:55 PM
I can't believe xerxes act like he has anything to do with his teams championships smh go drive a bus or do whatever you do lol

Drive a bus? I got a job, probably can't say the same for you with your 1700 posts in a year?

Silly baffoon your hatefully jealousy seeps through your childish questions

Finfan1971
07-02-2012, 09:05 PM
I am starting to question your basketball knowledge. If Gasol was in his natural position( center), he would be no lower than the third best. Gasol has some of the best footwork, shooting range, and passing of any big man in basketball. THe only downside to Gasol is age! Stop griping about something you obviously are ignorant about. Smith is not better than Gasol at anything plain and simple. Look at the stats!
Btw, the guy you say the Lakers overvalue averaged 17.4 pts/10.4 rebounds/1.4 blocks/3.7 assists and shot 50% from the field and 78% from the line...in a DOWN year for him. Lol how exactly are the lakers over valuing him?

_Supreme_
07-02-2012, 09:11 PM
The reason is the media making it's money by tricking people into reading their articles & watching their tv programs (more readers/viewers = more advertisement $$$), and they do that by overhyping everything you do and every player you have.

That is the kind of stuff the usually not so intelligent majority of fans likes to read and happily buys into because it gives them a sense of superiority, to such an extent that they start to believe that everything said media writes/says is actually true, and that their club is thé God-sent to the sports world.

In other words: these fools are willingly getting played like cheap violins, and they either don't know it or don't mind it.

This is of course true for most big city + national sports media, not just the Los Angeles media.

topdog
07-02-2012, 10:04 PM
Proven wrong by whom? When?

I also never said we win all trades, i said that's what lakers AIM for when making a trade. Of course they've lost, won and gotten equal value in return in trades, all teams have. I just stated that lakers AIM to improve and win every trade, I never said they actually did it every single time. Read a little next time before jumping to conclusions.

Don't back off now. This is why I love the internet - there is a trail to follow back to where we came from:

I cited the Shaq deal as one that I can't imagine the Lakers thought they were on the winning end of at that time or any time and hence also made the case for there being reasons to making a trade beyond "getting more back in return." (Such as chemistry or disgruntled players)

When I brought this up, you tried to turn it into the Shaq deal being a "win" and mentioned the two post-Shaq championships. This was of course the result of you trying to extend the Shaq trade several years into what the pieces eventually turned into. At the same rate, you can do the same thing for Miami and call it a tie or a loss in that deal because Miami has just as many championships and is the early favorite for next year.

topdog
07-02-2012, 10:05 PM
It's cause you love me topdog

Sure, whatever you say Bleezly ;)

Cfrey
07-02-2012, 10:27 PM
Drive a bus? I got a job, probably can't say the same for you with your 1700 posts in a year?

Silly baffoon your hatefully jealousy seeps through your childish questions

Yeah cause it's so tough to post 1700 times in a year hahaha why don't you do the math and realize how remedial you sound.

Lakers + Giants
07-02-2012, 10:29 PM
Don't back off now. This is why I love the internet - there is a trail to follow back to where we came from:

I cited the Shaq deal as one that I can't imagine the Lakers thought they were on the winning end of at that time or any time and hence also made the case for there being reasons to making a trade beyond "getting more back in return." (Such as chemistry or disgruntled players)

When I brought this up, you tried to turn it into the Shaq deal being a "win" and mentioned the two post-Shaq championships. This was of course the result of you trying to extend the Shaq trade several years into what the pieces eventually turned into. At the same rate, you can do the same thing for Miami and call it a tie or a loss in that deal because Miami has just as many championships and is the early favorite for next year.

Actually, they did think of it as being on the winning end. They knew that Kobe and Shaq both hated each other so they had to decide which player to keep cuz they weren't gonna risk losing BOTH players. Instead of Signing an AGING Shaq to a long term deal they traded him to the heat and decided to keep kobe. They didn't end up making a stupid move (signing an aging shaq) and instead decided to rebuild with their younger superstar in kobe. Their best move was not extending shaq, and instead trading him for Lamar, Caron and Brian Grant. Who later Became Lamar, Gasol and Bynum. .

I'm not saying they won that trade but they made the right choice at the end and benefited from the deal at the end. 2 championships.

Cfrey
07-02-2012, 10:30 PM
I am starting to question your basketball knowledge. If Gasol was in his natural position( center), he would be no lower than the third best. Gasol has some of the best footwork, shooting range, and passing of any big man in basketball. THe only downside to Gasol is age! Stop griping about something you obviously are ignorant about. Smith is not better than Gasol at anything plain and simple. Look at the stats!
Btw, the guy you say the Lakers overvalue averaged 17.4 pts/10.4 rebounds/1.4 blocks/3.7 assists and shot 50% from the field and 78% from the line...in a DOWN year for him. Lol how exactly are the lakers over valuing him?

The third best center in basketball?? Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha ha I guess it looks like I'm going to question your basketball knowledge because that is just stupid.

Lakers + Giants
07-02-2012, 10:33 PM
The third best center in basketball?? Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha ha I guess it looks like I'm going to question your basketball knowledge because that is just stupid.

It's not that absurd actually. He'd definitely be a top 5 center.

Losoway
07-02-2012, 10:35 PM
lakers fans think they can trade anyone for stars....

realistic lakers championship days are over

lpdunks8
07-02-2012, 10:37 PM

Two things:

1. Where is the proof of the bolded items?
2. They would have had to get back more than Smith because (due to salary cap reasons at the time of discussion) the incoming salary for the Hawks would have been over $3M more than the allowable amount.

Cfrey
07-02-2012, 10:52 PM
Like I said I'm on my phone and can't provide a link. I'll try and post one when I get a chance but I'm in a car til tomorrow afternoon lol.

And lakers24 I'll take Dwight, Bynum, cousins, KG, Pek, Tyson chandler, And maybe even hibbert at the center position over gasol.. Hes soft and get bullied by each and every one of those guys.. Not to mention you factor in age and contract and those guys are all far more appealing..

And you know what the funny thing is? I'd actually like Pau on the wolves. A three man rotation of Pau-Love-Pek would be dominant.. I think people are missing the point of the thread.. It's not about whether or not pau is a top player or center.. It's simply about him being overvalued by so many

showtym24
07-02-2012, 10:57 PM
Like I said I'm on my phone and can't provide a link. I'll try and post one when I get a chance but I'm in a car til tomorrow afternoon lol.

And lakers24 I'll take Dwight, Bynum, cousins, KG, Pek, Tyson chandler, And maybe even hibbert at the center position over gasol.. Hes soft and get bullied by each and every one of those guys.. Not to mention you factor in age and contract and those guys are all far more appealing..

And you know what the funny thing is? I'd actually like Pau on the wolves. A three man rotation of Pau-Love-Pek would be dominant.. I think people are missing the point of the thread.. It's not about whether or not pau is a top player or center.. It's simply about him being overvalued by so many

Pek? Chandler? LMAO.

Sactown
07-02-2012, 10:57 PM
The Lakers motto
"You can either take our players, or we'll just take yours in free agency"

Bruno
07-02-2012, 10:59 PM
stupid thread. PSD posters were *****ing and moaning when Amare beat out Gasol in last years PF rankings. Josh Smith is a great talent and i'd do the trade, but on paper he's a big salary for a guy who's never been an all star, or a first team defender once in his career. things balance out.

Lakers + Giants
07-02-2012, 11:00 PM

LMAO, contract isn't a factor when discussing better players. . .but that's a whole different arguement.

Dwight and Bynum I agree. Cousin's is still way too immature and his shooting % is way too low, especially for a center. KG well that depends on how healthy he is because he has been banged up quite a bit the last few years, but I'll agree with you that when at the top of their games at this current stage in their careers it's Garnett. Tyson Chandler I have to disagree with sure he's a great defender (DPOY for a reason) but offensively he has NOTHING but Dunks to offer, a better defensive version of Deandre Jordan. Pekovic, I'll admit he's underrated as hell but a better overall center than Gasol? Scoring, rebounding, and Passing wise? no.

I never said I agreed with him being 3rd best center but it's definitely not as absurd as you made it out to be.

topdog
07-02-2012, 11:02 PM
Actually, they did think of it as being on the winning end. They knew that Kobe and Shaq both hated each other so they had to decide which player to keep cuz they weren't gonna risk losing BOTH players. Instead of Signing an AGING Shaq to a long term deal they traded him to the heat and decided to keep kobe. They didn't end up making a stupid move (signing an aging shaq) and instead decided to rebuild with their younger superstar in kobe. Their best move was not extending shaq, and instead trading him for Lamar, Caron and Brian Grant. Who later Became Lamar, Gasol and Bynum. .

I'm not saying they won that trade but they made the right choice at the end and benefited from the deal at the end. 2 championships.

This contradicts your intial post in talking about Gasol. There is just as much reason to trade him as there was with Shaq (chemistry and cap tax issues). Of course every team thinks they're "winning" a trade in a sense when they deal. You're just backing off your original stance. My work is done here.

Cfrey
07-02-2012, 11:03 PM
Pek? Chandler? LMAO.

Do you know what something called defense is?? It's kind of important at the center spot..

Now I'd like you to go look up Peks numbers from last year and the fact that he is a pure brute and overpowers the majority of the leagues bigs.. Then you can retract your statement.

Lakers + Giants
07-02-2012, 11:11 PM
This contradicts your intial post in talking about Gasol. There is just as much reason to trade him as there was with Shaq (chemistry and cap tax issues). Of course every team thinks they're "winning" a trade in a sense when they deal. You're just backing off your original stance. My work is done here.

Haha, why? Because You were proven wrong?

You're just like those ppl that think they're statement is automatically true by saying "period". "My work is done here", basically admitting defeat. . :win: <---- (ME)

What chemistry issues are you talking about? Just making up stuff to make your statement seem valid? The reason we couldn't get out of the 2nd round is because outside of Kobe, Pau and Drew we had no other player contributing.

What's the point of trading Gasol for Smith wen we can get more value for him from the Rockets (as evident by the CP3 trade in which they gave us so much for just gasol)? Gasol's contract expires in 2 years anyways so what's your point? 18 Mil expiring will be way more attractive than Josh Smith and a filler.

Seems like MY work here is done.

Cfrey
07-02-2012, 11:18 PM
Dude you shouldn't need any other play than Kobe pau and Bynum contributing but you can thank your coach mike brown for that and you can thank Kobe for being the cancer that he is.. You will obviously disagree with that statement but a player of Kobe's caliber should realize the size he has up front.. The fact they couldn't beat OKC purely with Bynum and Gasol alone tells you everything you need to know

Cfrey
07-02-2012, 11:19 PM
I guess i should say the fact they couldn't beat OKC more than one game tells you everything you need to know lol

Lakers + Giants
07-02-2012, 11:21 PM
Dude you shouldn't need any other play than Kobe pau and Bynum contributing but you can thank your coach mike brown for that and you can thank Kobe for being the cancer that he is.. You will obviously disagree with that statement but a player of Kobe's caliber should realize the size he has up front.. The fact they couldn't beat OKC purely with Bynum and Gasol alone tells you everything you need to know

Don't let the 24 on my user name fool you haha. I completely agree with you that this team wouldn't be looking for major trades if Kobe actually utilized his bigs. I've stated many times that the way kobe is playing, he's actually hurting us more than he is helping us. If he were a little more unselfish Pau and Bynum would be more than enough help. Instead, he wants everything done his way. Peckin orders suck.

deadman8586
07-02-2012, 11:26 PM

Well it's because they can, and also our fans are idiots. I mean we should just shut up and take the best we can get for Gasol.

Cfrey
07-02-2012, 11:32 PM
Don't let the 24 on my user name fool you haha. I completely agree with you that this team wouldn't be looking for major trades if Kobe actually utilized his bigs. I've stated many times that the way kobe is playing, he's actually hurting us more than he is helping us. If he were a little more unselfish Pau and Bynum would be more than enough help. Instead, he wants everything done his way. Peckin orders suck.

Well I'm glad we can agree on something lol

showtym24
07-02-2012, 11:38 PM
Do you know what something called defense is?? It's kind of important at the center spot..

Now I'd like you to go look up Peks numbers from last year and the fact that he is a pure brute and overpowers the majority of the leagues bigs.. Then you can retract your statement.

Pau is a HOF talent and is vastly suprior to both of them and cousins. If you watched laker games youd know brown didnt use pau right at all. Put pau in the post he completey ***** on them. I dont care how good a defender chandler is hes got absolutley no offensive game. And Ive watched pek. Hes a big physical body. 13 and 7 is good, not impressive. Youre nuts if you really think any of them are better the pau.

Lakers + Giants
07-02-2012, 11:43 PM
Well I'm glad we can agree on something lol

:hi5: :cheers:

Cfrey
07-02-2012, 11:48 PM
Pau is a HOF talent and is vastly suprior to both of them and cousins. If you watched laker games youd know brown didnt use pau right at all. Put pau in the post he completey ***** on them. I dont care how good a defender chandler is hes got absolutley no offensive game. And Ive watched pek. Hes a big physical body. 13 and 7 is good, not impressive. Youre nuts if you really think any of them are better the pau.

Broski Pek was putting up 19 and 11 during a great stretch in the middle of the regular season last year... I believe without looking those numbers up. He didn't get minutes at the beginning of the season and went down with an injury late in the season but the dude can play and if it was a Pau for Pek trade straight up I wouldn't even bite so I'll disagree..

showtym24
07-02-2012, 11:53 PM
Broski Pek was putting up 19 and 11 during a great stretch in the middle of the regular season last year... I believe without looking those numbers up. He didn't get minutes at the beginning of the season and went down with an injury late in the season but the dude can play and if it was a Pau for Pek trade straight up I wouldn't even bite so I'll disagree..

Kahn would lol. Agree to disagree.

Cfrey
07-02-2012, 11:56 PM
Yeah Kahn would lol that the lakers didn't offer Bynum too

topdog
07-03-2012, 01:34 AM
Haha, why? Because You were proven wrong?

You're just like those ppl that think they're statement is automatically true by saying "period". "My work is done here", basically admitting defeat. . :win: <---- (ME)

What chemistry issues are you talking about? Just making up stuff to make your statement seem valid? The reason we couldn't get out of the 2nd round is because outside of Kobe, Pau and Drew we had no other player contributing.

What's the point of trading Gasol for Smith wen we can get more value for him from the Rockets (as evident by the CP3 trade in which they gave us so much for just gasol)? Gasol's contract expires in 2 years anyways so what's your point? 18 Mil expiring will be way more attractive than Josh Smith and a filler.

Seems like MY work here is done.

Don't be silly. I posted how you changed positions as the argument went on. There is no point in arguing with someone who flops as much as the Clippers.

Like I said: the great thing about the internet is that all people have to do is look back at your posts and see for themselves who "won."

Lakers + Giants
07-03-2012, 01:36 AM
Don't be silly. I posted how you changed positions as the argument went on. There is no point in arguing with someone who flops as much as the Clippers.

Like I said: the great thing about the internet is that all people have to do is look back at your posts and see for themselves who "won."

couldn't think of anything else to say huh?Yup. I honestly doubt anyone else really gives a **** about what we were arguing about.

nickdymez
07-03-2012, 02:09 AM
Because the Lakers won multiple championships with that core

Lakers4ItAll
07-03-2012, 02:17 AM
Cfrey started this thread to hate huh

broncosfan4eva
07-03-2012, 02:31 AM
Is there a reason for you to start this thread?

broncosfan4eva
07-03-2012, 02:34 AM
couldn't think of anything else to say huh?Yup. I honestly doubt anyone else really gives a **** about what we were arguing about.

U got owned bruh.

8kobe24
07-03-2012, 02:40 AM
Salaries for Gasol and Smith does not match, Gasol makes about7 million more, hence the Lakers asked for reasonable fillers to match salaries. Not sure where OP got the info that Lakers are overvaluing their players...

fadedmario
07-03-2012, 02:41 AM
Lakers are a year or 2 away from being a lottery team and going into post-Kobe era. Good luck with that. No one will trade with the Lakers anymore either. Everyone got sick of getting hosed. That's why Pau has been on the market for 2 years with no takers.

ThunderousDemon
07-03-2012, 02:51 AM
Lakers are a year or 2 away from being a lottery team and going into post-Kobe era. Good luck with that. No one will trade with the Lakers anymore either. Everyone got sick of getting hosed. That's why Pau has been on the market for 2 years with no takers.

:violin: A little bit of music for ya, while you're on the soap box Mr. Nostradumbass.

fadedmario
07-03-2012, 12:16 PM
:violin: A little bit of music for ya, while you're on the soap box Mr. Nostradumbass.

Truth hurts, don't it..

Hawkeye15
07-03-2012, 12:22 PM
players from perennial winning teams tend to be overvalued to some degree. Nothing new here.

LAKERMANIA
07-03-2012, 01:02 PM

Just because there hasn't been a trade for Gasol yet doesn't mean there were no takers..

Lakers just didn't like any of the offers..