PDA

View Full Version : What is the Infatuation with Brooklyn?

WestCoastSportz
07-02-2012, 12:13 PM
And in no way is this a knock on the fans of the Nets or Brooklyn itself, but as NJ, they were always the little brother of the Knicks. So what is Dwight Howard's infatuation to go to the Nets? They were last in the NBA when it came to attendance this past season while a team with a losing record and started mainly rookies and D-leaguers, came in 10th. Maybe all this will change when they start to play for Brooklyn. It also seems that Deron Williams returning is far from a guarantee as the Mavericks are dining him. I'd understand if that was his hometown, but if that were the case, he'd be finding his way to the Hawks.

I guess I'm more curious on people who know more about the situation. I'd assume he want to goto a winning team where his presence would put them over the top to win that title. A team like Dallas or even Atlanta. Maybe Chicago, Lakers, Clippers, Boston or OKC.

EasternStar
07-02-2012, 12:17 PM
New Arena, big market, advertisements deals, cap space, and buzz in the NY market. All I got to say.

xxplayerxx23
07-02-2012, 12:18 PM
Its NY. Brooklyn hasnt had a team in so long. Now they have a team, they will draw if there contenders. Its a huge place to play at.

thekmp211
07-02-2012, 12:18 PM
dwight wants "his own" franchise in a major market. all those other teams are spoken for with their stars and frankly probably don't want to poision the well with dwight's ********. nets make the most sense, and could get very good very quickly if all this panned out.

brooklyn is also a very cool part of NY if you haven't been.

LongIslandIcedZ
07-02-2012, 12:21 PM
It's my third favorite Burrough.

It's new, it's fresh and Dwight can be the man.

NYsFinest
07-02-2012, 12:22 PM
Brooklyn is very marketable... Dwight was promised huge endorsements in BK. He has been courted (tampered?) by a billionaire who probably promised him a lot as well.

kdspurman
07-02-2012, 12:23 PM
There's no other place like NYC and Brooklyn is definitely a great place to be. Been here my whole life. That's just me from an average guys point of view.

To these guys? They want to be in NYC I guess and be part of something that's up and coming in a city that fits most professional athletes life styles. It's a "new" team and for Dwight, maybe it means he no longer has to play in anyone's shadow.

NYKnickFanatic
07-02-2012, 12:23 PM
Its New York.

29$JerZ
07-02-2012, 12:25 PM
Reap the benefits of everything NY has to offer and have less pressure to win than Melo/Stat.

However with his destruction of his image that very well may cause him to have the most pressure in NY.

BKLYNpigeon
07-02-2012, 12:26 PM
The distance from the the Brooklyn Nets arena and Madison Square Garden is about 6-7 miles. Brooklyn Nets are going to draw a lot of fans, they have a great logo and colors. they are something brand new and in a HUGE Market.

Brooklyn just has swag. if you ever visit NY the coolest place to be is in Brooklyn, its where the Locals are. Manhattan is for the tourists. im 10 minutes from the New Arena its in a great central location close to all the trains and subways.

BIG worm
07-02-2012, 12:29 PM
Im starting to think the Russian mob "made him an offer he cant refuse"

KniCks4LiFe
07-02-2012, 12:29 PM
It's NewYork pt. 2. It's big. It's new, Jay-Z, all the partners. It's about taking over NewYork basketball, which they definitely can do.

LongIslandIcedZ
07-02-2012, 12:31 PM
I'm gonna have to hop on the subway from the Financial District and really check out Brooklyn. I know they have a Smash Burger there, so I'll probably head there and check out the Barclay's Center. I was never really a fan of Brooklyn but I can be swayed.

mavsman81
07-02-2012, 12:33 PM
Wouldn't and shouldn't D-Will be the man there if he stays? Especially after all the Dwight drama? How long before Dwight ruins the Nets if they dont win immediately?

dnewguy
07-02-2012, 12:33 PM
I think it's more about Marketing opportunities. The Man is thinking beyond basketball here, can't blame him.

Hellcrooner
07-02-2012, 12:36 PM
Dwight:
"
NO.
SLEEP.
TILL BROOKLYN!!!!!!!!!!
"

BKLYNpigeon
07-02-2012, 12:37 PM
I'm gonna have to hop on the subway from the Financial District and really check out Brooklyn. I know they have a Smash Burger there, so I'll probably head there and check out the Barclay's Center. I was never really a fan of Brooklyn but I can be swayed.

Jay Z's 50/50 club will be opening in the Barclays Center.

You speak of Brooklyn as if you need a Passport to cross the bridge. Brooklyns got a GREAT Vibe. if you want to check out some cool neighborhoods, stay away from Downtown BKLYN for now. they're cleaning it up for the openeing of the Arena. Come to Williamsburg, Park Slope, Dumbo, if you want to get some good drinks and food.

Iv been in Brooklyn for the last 5 years and I WILL NEVER LIVE IN MANHATTAN AGAIN.

ldawg
07-02-2012, 12:38 PM
Its New York yuck. Its cold freeeezzz, Its Humid and hot sticky, its smelly, They all walk fast and act paranoid like they are on speed or something and wear timberland in the summer. But hey he is single the place never sleeps, great food, Lots of culture. If you got money like he has great place other than that same old not a great place to raise a fimily if you are broke.

KniCks4LiFe
07-02-2012, 12:38 PM
Reap the benefits of everything NY has to offer and have less pressure to win than Melo/Stat.

However with his destruction of his image that very well may cause him to have the most pressure in NY.

Image or not. Dwight Howard coming to NY would be enormous. This isn't Melo drama. Where you question where he ranks. This Dwight frickin' Howard. He will go down as one of the greatest big men in all of basketball. Patrick Ewing's hype in NY, maybe even more is what Howard will potentially get if he lands in Brooklyn.

BigCityofDreams
07-02-2012, 12:39 PM
Wrong on so many levels

LongIslandIcedZ
07-02-2012, 12:41 PM
Jay Z's 50/50 club will be opening in the Barclays Center.

You speak of Brooklyn as if you need a Passport to cross the bridge. Brooklyns got a GREAT Vibe. if you want to check out some cool neighborhoods, stay away from Downtown BKLYN for now. they're cleaning it up for the openeing of the Arena. Come to Williamsburg, Park Slope, Dumbo, if you want to get some good drinks and food.

Iv been in Brooklyn for the last 5 years and I WILL NEVER LIVE IN MANHATTAN AGAIN.

Well I certainly wont be leaving Manhattan for Brooklyn, but from what I have heard it is a fun time. I'll certainly go to a couple Nets games though. Just the areas in Brooklyn that I have been to werent particularly nice, and I was not in a rush to head back.

smith&wesson
07-02-2012, 12:42 PM
The attendance will be a little different in brooklyn...

SportsNY
07-02-2012, 12:42 PM
Shawn Carter

drobe86
07-02-2012, 12:43 PM
I don't get it either. If it's not the Knicks, Yankees, or Giants then why go there. If you're in the NBA you can get whatever endorsements you want. Kevin Durant has endorsements and he plays for Oklahoma City for crying out loud. Man up and play basketball. That's the problem with the league right now.

netsgiantsyanks
07-02-2012, 12:44 PM
it's new york.

AntiG
07-02-2012, 12:46 PM
NY franchise with salary cap space, which means more marketing opportunities and side money than anywhere else. A chance to be part of a rebranding in the place where hip hop all started, working for one of the top businessmen in hip hop (Jay Z), and one of the richest, most aggressive, most basketball knowledgeable and passionate billionaires in the world (Prohkorov).

Its an ideal situation for any free agent or player trying to be traded.

tonyd3b54
07-02-2012, 12:47 PM
yea honestly i dont get why cities in NY attract more Free agents than a city like boston. No one ever wants to go to boston in the nba. the weather is virtually the same in NY as in massachusetts and there are just as many celtics fans as there are knicks fans with more of a winning tradition on the celtics side.

i honestly just dont get it.

netsgiantsyanks
07-02-2012, 12:47 PM
it all really depends on if deron stays and dwight comes. if so, it is going to be HUGE. if not, it's going to be HELL.

KniCks4LiFe
07-02-2012, 12:50 PM
It's about making it NEWYORK. Brooklyn was the place to be years ago. But way long time ago. So ppl that don't get it. The Brooklyn Dodgers were like rockstars in NY at the same time the Yankees were on the other side, they were so big people literally haven't gotten over it. The Knicks don't have a winning culture. They are trying to establish one. It's going to be a big change in NY. Some will turn in thier Knicks jersey b/c Dolan or whoever will force thier hand, some just b/c there's another team.

AntiG
07-02-2012, 12:51 PM
it all really depends on if deron stays and dwight comes. if so, it is going to be HUGE. if not, it's going to be HELL.

i think Deron stays regardless of Dwight. He gets one more guaranteed max year in BK than in Dallas (who would only be able to do that as a sign and trade, and I doubt the Nets would take anything from Dallas outside of Nowitzki), and has aggressive owners that pull out all the stops to put a winning product out there. Eventually they will get there because of it.

Hellcrooner
07-02-2012, 12:53 PM
yea honestly i dont get why cities in NY attract more Free agents than a city like boston. No one ever wants to go to boston in the nba. the weather is virtually the same in NY as in massachusetts and there are just as many celtics fans as there are knicks fans with more of a winning tradition on the celtics side.

Sit in your dinning room.
Switch Cable Tv On.

Make a quick scan of several channels.

How many Movies and Tv Series Based on NY you get?50%
How Many on L.A?25%
How Many on CHicago?20%
How many in Boston?0,5 %

Sadly T.V is of great importance nowdays, kids are exposed to it since being young, and this generates a gravity to the citys that are featured and "hyped" more by it.

Theres a Failure to this theory tough....maybe the exception that confirms the rule....... the Bay gets a TON of tv exposure yet the warriors dont seem able to attract F.a

KniCks4LiFe
07-02-2012, 12:55 PM
I think for thier opening night they better play "No sleep til Brooklyn"

JordansBulls
07-02-2012, 01:03 PM
Brooklyn is a nice borough especially if you live in the Heights.

AntiG
07-02-2012, 01:04 PM
How Many on L.A?25%
How Many on CHicago?20%
How many in Boston?0,5 %

NY is probably more like 75%

RLundi
07-02-2012, 01:06 PM
New York is one of the best cities in the world, and Brooklyn is probably the second best borough after Manhattan, though I've never really understood the mass appeal. A lot of Brooklyn is kind of ugly and it has to grow on you. I'm not a huge fan of Dwight, but I absolutely understand wanting to go to the most influential city in the western hemisphere and start a franchise from the ground up.

KniCks4LiFe
07-02-2012, 01:07 PM
What's more likely No Sleep Till Brooklyn after wins or Jay-Z beat?

Hellcrooner
07-02-2012, 01:08 PM
What's more likely No Sleep Till Brooklyn after wins or Jay-Z beat?

If they fail to retain Deron, dont get dwight and they do trade for JJ......
"Bridge over troubled water" :D

oak2455
07-02-2012, 01:11 PM
Well I certainly wont be leaving Manhattan for Brooklyn, but from what I have heard it is a fun time. I'll certainly go to a couple Nets games though. Just the areas in Brooklyn that I have been to werent particularly nice, and I was not in a rush to head back.

Agreed with this... Also Brookyn isn't better than Manhattan ( lived in Manhattan for over 10 yrs) that's funny as hell.... Two different worlds two totally different places.... But hope they do ok just not as good as the Knicks:p

KniCks4LiFe
07-02-2012, 01:14 PM
If they fail to retain Deron, dont get dwight and they do trade for JJ......
"Bridge over troubled water" :D

I know. I hope they do retain him. B-ball other than Linsanity has been dead in NewYork. We need that rivalry. If anything it forces James Dolan to stop ****ing up. :mad:

metfan22
07-02-2012, 01:16 PM

Im not saying this to be mean. Im just keeping it real: Most players in the NBA are black and Boston has a reputation of being racist, especially for a Northeastern City. People will go anywhere for money. But if you can have the money and live somewhere less racist then why wouldnt you? Alot of black athletes just dont like Boston Missippi.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/4289/black-athletes-have-long-seen-boston-as-racist

colinskik
07-02-2012, 01:17 PM

There's a simple answer to that question. Boston sucks.

No really, Boston is much colder than NY in the dead of winter, first off. The town shuts down at 2am, and there isn't the influx of culture and talent and eccentricity that constantly flowing into NY, and especially BK in the past 5 years. If you've ever spent time in the two cities in becomes clear as day that NY is leaps and bounds more interesting than Boston.

colinskik
07-02-2012, 01:20 PM
Sit in your dinning room.
Switch Cable Tv On.

Make a quick scan of several channels.

How Many on L.A?25%
How Many on CHicago?20%
How many in Boston?0,5 %

Sadly T.V is of great importance nowdays, kids are exposed to it since being young, and this generates a gravity to the citys that are featured and "hyped" more by it.

Theres a Failure to this theory tough....maybe the exception that confirms the rule....... the Bay gets a TON of tv exposure yet the warriors dont seem able to attract F.a
You are so off base with this theory.

So you assert that athletes (and regular peeps) want to come to the big 3 of cities because they appear on television more often? I think you have it backwards, my friend. Television piggybacks off what is trending, and since young people are moving to big cities in flocks, tv mirrors that.

colinskik
07-02-2012, 01:26 PM
Agreed with this... Also Brookyn isn't better than Manhattan ( lived in Manhattan for over 10 yrs) that's funny as hell.... Two different worlds two totally different places.... But hope they do ok just not as good as the Knicks:p
If you like crowded streets 24/7 and insanely high rents, then Manhattan is the place for you. It's become so overcrowded in the past decade -- tourist destinations, which in many cases double as working neighborhoods, can become so hectic that I get the urge to strangle any and everything.

Brooklyn on the whole, while still densely populated, has quiet streets and a neighborhood feel that has completely disappeared in Manhattan. The other boroughs have this over Manhattan as well, but they lack the culture that Brooklyn possesses.

Big Zo
07-02-2012, 01:27 PM

Don't underestimate the annoyance of the Boston accent, or the creepiness of the gingers that live there.

jmoney85
07-02-2012, 01:30 PM
knicks fans should be rooting for BK to do well... a big rivalry will do nothing but help the nba

zB_#85
07-02-2012, 01:37 PM
I don't really get the Nets infactuation either. Doesn't seem like a realistic opportunity for a ring. I don't understand what is so bad about a huge market that has 60-80 degree weather year round and can promise just as many marketing opportunities with a better chance to win. Take your guess where I'm talking about. If it sounds like paradise...that's because it is :D

Either that or Dallas. Love him or hate him, Cuban takes care of his boys. Playing for Dallas would be a pretty luxurious gig and it's a nice city as well.

Pistol_Pete
07-02-2012, 01:38 PM
Everyone pretty much made the right points:

- NYC market, but in "gritty" Brooklyn instead of "wealthy" NYC
- Major market means major sponsor and increase in number of sponsors
- Billionaire owner, probably the richest in the league
- International owner intent on creating a global brand
- Celebrity (minority) owner, with a popular brand, and successful business ties
- Brand new arena with major access to public transportation
- Brooklyn in no NJ, the attendance with be there
- Opportunity to be the man (even with Deron, Deron would feed the ball to Dwight)
- Life in NYC

And, depending on if he does get traded there, and whatever else the pull off, the team could be much better than it looks now.

On a side note for those who don't live in NY. Manhattan has basically become a playground for the rich, a place to work, or a place recent grads go before they realize Brooklyn and Queens is much cheaper and only one more subway stop. Music, art, etc is coming out of Brooklyn now. Brooklyn is the "cool" place to be while Manhattan is the "famous" place to be.

jmoney85
07-02-2012, 01:41 PM
I don't really get the Nets infactuation either. Doesn't seem like a realistic opportunity for a ring. I don't understand what is so bad about a huge market that has 60-80 degree weather year round and can promise just as many marketing opportunities with a better chance to win. Take your guess where I'm talking about. If it sounds like paradise...that's because it is :D

Either that or Dallas. Love him or hate him, Cuban takes care of his boys. Playing for Dallas would be a pretty luxurious gig and it's a nice city as well.

:facepalm:

the nba is a cycle... some good teams become bad and bad teams become good.. it happens all of the time... so a team that might "have a better chance at a ring" can change very quickly

if you look at the last 15 years look at how many teams were elite and became mediocre or bad for the matter and vice versa.

AntiG
07-02-2012, 01:58 PM
- Billionaire owner, probably the richest in the league

Yep, richer than anyone to ever own a major US sports franchise in history, including Paul Allen.

Losoway
07-02-2012, 02:04 PM
Brooklyn is the mecca. have some respect

jimm120
07-02-2012, 02:14 PM
And in no way is this a knock on the fans of the Nets or Brooklyn itself, but as NJ, they were always the little brother of the Knicks. So what is Dwight Howard's infatuation to go to the Nets? They were last in the NBA when it came to attendance this past season while a team with a losing record and started mainly rookies and D-leaguers, came in 10th. Maybe all this will change when they start to play for Brooklyn. It also seems that Deron Williams returning is far from a guarantee as the Mavericks are dining him. I'd understand if that was his hometown, but if that were the case, he'd be finding his way to the Hawks.

I guess I'm more curious on people who know more about the situation. I'd assume he want to goto a winning team where his presence would put them over the top to win that title. A team like Dallas or even Atlanta. Maybe Chicago, Lakers, Clippers, Boston or OKC.

Ok, I was about to say...I'd understand the Nets but Brooklyn? Its the best city that ever was, is, and will be!

Everyone's love for brooklyn

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eM8A03GLKL0

And I don't even love Rap much and this ....wow...makes me...

YashBoone
07-02-2012, 02:19 PM
It's my third favorite Burrough.

It's new, it's fresh and Dwight can be the man.

3rd? Behind what?
Brooklyn is the place to be right now.
I have friends who live down there and everytime I go see them for a weekend it's good times I be had....

To put it simple, I personally think that the nets are trying really really hard to be relevant, and **** might back fire on them.... Imagine if deron leaves?

Who the **** is gonna wanna go there to play with wallace?

zB_#85
07-02-2012, 02:20 PM
:facepalm:

the nba is a cycle... some good teams become bad and bad teams become good.. it happens all of the time... so a team that might "have a better chance at a ring" can change very quickly

if you look at the last 15 years look at how many teams were elite and became mediocre or bad for the matter and vice versa.

hmmm... I'll go back the last 25 years and name off the NBA's champions:

Lakers
Pistons
Bulls
Rockets
Spurs
Heat
Celtics
Mavs

Mavs and Celtics being the only teams to have only won once within the last 25. So that gives us 23 years of the past 25 dominated by 6 teams in a 30 team league. Real cyclical...

JerseyPalahniuk
07-02-2012, 02:47 PM

Lakers
Pistons
Bulls
Rockets
Spurs
Heat
Celtics
Mavs

Mavs and Celtics being the only teams to have only won once within the last 25. So that gives us 23 years of the past 25 dominated by 6 teams in a 30 team league. Real cyclical...

I wouldn't use championships as the ONLY factor for a team being good. I would consider the Jazz, Knicks, and Sonics of the 90s to all be very good.. and they ALL had their lows after their greats retired but have risen again (and will fall). Bulls dominated Jordan era and were awful after he left until a few years ago. Celtics were awful after the Bird era. Mavs were one of the worst teams of the decade in the 90s but have risen since 2000. Every team will enjoy its highs and lows while some (Lakers for example) will find ways to stay relevant. Champions are not the only indicator of whether a team is good or not.

LongIslandIcedZ
07-02-2012, 02:59 PM
3rd? Behind what?
Brooklyn is the place to be right now.
I have friends who live down there and everytime I go see them for a weekend it's good times I be had....

To put it simple, I personally think that the nets are trying really really hard to be relevant, and **** might back fire on them.... Imagine if deron leaves?

Who the **** is gonna wanna go there to play with wallace?

Behind Manhattan (where I live), and the Bronx (Go Yanks).

A good friend of mine lives in Brooklyn in a pretty terrible area, so I try my hardest not go there too much lol. But when we do go out it is fun there.

ink
07-02-2012, 03:00 PM
NYC is the most interesting city in North America. Nothing else is really close.

justinnum1
07-02-2012, 03:06 PM
Chance to make a fresh legacy.

zB_#85
07-02-2012, 03:08 PM
I wouldn't use championships as the ONLY factor for a team being good. I would consider the Jazz, Knicks, and Sonics of the 90s to all be very good.. and they ALL had their lows after their greats retired but have risen again (and will fall). Bulls dominated Jordan era and were awful after he left until a few years ago. Celtics were awful after the Bird era. Mavs were one of the worst teams of the decade in the 90s but have risen since 2000. Every team will enjoy its highs and lows while some (Lakers for example) will find ways to stay relevant. Champions are not the only indicator of whether a team is good or not.

this is true, but in today's "ring or bust" era I just don't see why there is superior interest in Brooklyn to other teams. In terms of championships, I see Dallas and LA being closer than BK even if he goes there. I might be wrong, but I still don't think Deron/Dwight is good enough to bring it home as long as Miami stays together and if D-Rose comes back even 80% of his old self.

I'm not bashing the Nets, just agreeing with the OP on the subject of not seeing why it's BK or bust in Dwight's mind. But then again, who the hell knows what any of Dwight's decisions are based on lately :laugh:

I also just get a little frustrated when the players try to leverage themselves. So Dwight is saying that it's Nets or no extension??? Ok well here are 2 scenarios that could play out that I would be throwing back at him if I was Orlando.

#1. Nets resign D-Will, Kidd follows him, and they just agreed to $40m deal with Wallace. How is he going to walk in free agency and go to the Nets? He's not, they won't have the cap and it will take a sign and trade to get him there(Orlando with the leverage).

#2. Orlando refuses to trade Dwight to the Nets, which gets D-Will a little antsy and screws up their plan so D-Will plays it safe and decides to go to the Mavs. Is it still Nets or bust Dwight?? Don't think so lol!

Orlando should hold steady and illustrate why he is in no position to dictate to them what they should do with him.

colinskik
07-02-2012, 03:12 PM

A good friend of mine lives in Brooklyn in a pretty terrible area, so I try my hardest not go there too much lol. But when we do go out it is fun there.
So The Bronx is your second favorite borough because of the Yankees? The Bronx is a great place, but it doesn't stack up to Brooklyn. If you're faulting Brooklyn for having some bad neighborhoods (which it does), then you have to give the same treatment to The Bronx. Have you ever been anywhere north of 161st Street? If you had, you'd be wishing you were anywhere in Brooklyn...

colinskik
07-02-2012, 03:18 PM
this is true, but in today's "ring or bust" era I just don't see why there is superior interest in Brooklyn to other teams. In terms of championships, I see Dallas and LA being closer than BK even if he goes there. I might be wrong, but I still don't think Deron/Dwight is good enough to bring it home as long as Miami stays together and if D-Rose comes back even 80% of his old self.

I'm not bashing the Nets, just agreeing with the OP on the subject of not seeing why it's BK or bust in Dwight's mind. But then again, who the hell knows what any of Dwight's decisions are based on lately :laugh:

I also just get a little frustrated when the players try to leverage themselves. So Dwight is saying that it's Nets or no extension??? Ok well here are 2 scenarios that could play out that I would be throwing back at him if I was Orlando.

#1. Nets resign D-Will, Kidd follows him, and they just agreed to $40m deal with Wallace. How is he going to walk in free agency and go to the Nets? He's not, they won't have the cap and it will take a sign and trade to get him there(Orlando with the leverage).

#2. Orlando refuses to trade Dwight to the Nets, which gets D-Will a little antsy and screws up their plan so D-Will plays it safe and decides to go to the Mavs. Is it still Nets or bust Dwight?? Don't think so lol!

Orlando should hold steady and illustrate why he is in no position to dictate to them what they should do with him.
I'm not so sure Dallas offers a better chance at a ring at this point.

Let's say the Mavs stike out on the big names in thie FA period. They basically have a team comprised of Dirk. Kidd is pretty much gone, Terry looks like he'll jet, Marion seems like he's on the fence. So who you got? An older Dirk, an ancient Vince, and Beaubois??

I don't think the team has great potential. Sure, they can make some moves if they get DWill and become a serious contender, but I don't think it's any more likely than a situation where the Nets become contenders.

jmoney85
07-02-2012, 03:20 PM

Lakers
Pistons
Bulls
Rockets
Spurs
Heat
Celtics
Mavs

and every single one of those teams were terrible for a few years at a time...

bulls pre rose
spurs pre duncan
celtics pre big 3
heat post shaq and pre big 3
pistons are still horrible
rockets havent been good since the dream

and those are just champions... look at the cavs for instance... terrible pre james and now terrible again

orlando was terrible pre dwight and will be horrible post dwight

OKC previously seattle was terrible for years prior to the last 2 years

knicks were god awful for years until last season

nets were a perrenial powerhouse from 2000-2006 or 2007 and have been horrible since

clippers were god awful before last season

and the list goes on.... like I said... the cycle of good teams goes back and forth... what you may think is a good place to compete for a ring can change quickly

LongIslandIcedZ
07-02-2012, 03:26 PM
So The Bronx is your second favorite borough because of the Yankees? The Bronx is a great place, but it doesn't stack up to Brooklyn. If you're faulting Brooklyn for having some bad neighborhoods (which it does), then you have to give the same treatment to The Bronx. Have you ever been anywhere north of 161st Street? If you had, you'd be wishing you were anywhere in Brooklyn...

No my friends in Brooklyn live in ****** areas, while my Bronx friends live in very nice areas. The ranking list was really more of a joke lol, to me, its like Manhattan and then the rest.

BigCityofDreams
07-02-2012, 03:37 PM

You make it sound like he lives in hell.

BKLYNpigeon
07-02-2012, 03:38 PM
I live in a very Nice neighborhood in Brooklyn, its safe and has everything you need. I explore around Brooklyn all the time and I never feel uncomfortable or dangerous. Just stay away from Brownsville, and you should be fine.

MagicHero3
07-02-2012, 03:40 PM
from mickey mouse to the crack house

JerseyPalahniuk
07-02-2012, 03:40 PM

Oh so championships are valued more now than they were before? I'm not sure how the era "now" is ring or bust and not 10, 20 years ago? Social media and sports forums have made it seem that way to you maybe but the value of a ring is the same.

Lets say I take your side with Dallas being more contender worthy if DWill goes there (which I don't at all, the Thunder, Clippers, Lakers, + more teams will still beat a combo of Dwill and Dirk). What happens when Dirk retires? The cycle we've been talking about happens and again and Mavs have to get younger pieces to build around (by then) the older Dwill. Why not join a team on the uprise?

1. Yes, Dwight is stupid for asking a trade NOW during this offseason where the Nets currently don't have any assets as only 5 player are under contract. If a deal happens it will not be anytime soon but after a few weeks or maybe next season. And to your point of us not having cap room next season if Dwight wants to come as a FA... Dwill and Wallace are the ONLY players (along with Marshon Brooks and our other rookie) on contract. They will have all the room for him and build pieces around them: http://hoopshype.com/salaries/brooklyn.htm

2. Dwill has said time and time again that it's NOT dwight or bust. Him not being a Net will not affect his decision to come to NJ, so there's no such thing as "playing it safe" and just going to Dallas.

BKLYNpigeon
07-02-2012, 03:44 PM
Nets will be fine, with or without D-Will and Howard. it might take them a bit longer to rebuild, but the Nets will be relevant and always a Place where Free Agents will want to come play.

Brooklyn Nets are the new Black.

jmoney85
07-02-2012, 03:46 PM
im speaking objectively here.... I dont think the mavs are in any better position to compete than the nets tbh

zB_#85
07-02-2012, 03:55 PM
Oh so championships are valued more now than they were before? I'm not sure how the era "now" is ring or bust and not 10, 20 years ago? Social media and sports forums have made it seem that way to you maybe but the value of a ring is the same.

Lets say I take your side with Dallas being more contender worthy if DWill goes there (which I don't at all, the Thunder, Clippers, Lakers, + more teams will still beat a combo of Dwill and Dirk). What happens when Dirk retires? The cycle we've been talking about happens and again and Mavs have to get younger pieces to build around (by then) the older Dwill. Why not join a team on the uprise?

1. Yes, Dwight is stupid for asking a trade NOW during this offseason where the Nets currently don't have any assets as only 5 player are under contract. If a deal happens it will not be anytime soon but after a few weeks or maybe next season. And to your point of us not having cap room next season if Dwight wants to come as a FA... Dwill and Wallace are the ONLY players (along with Marshon Brooks and our other rookie) on contract. They will have all the room for him and build pieces around them: http://hoopshype.com/salaries/brooklyn.htm

2. Dwill has said time and time again that it's NOT dwight or bust. Him not being a Net will not affect his decision to come to NJ, so there's no such thing as "playing it safe" and just going to Dallas.

Social media is what I meant by "ring or bust" era. Perhaps worded poorly, but it looks like you get my point. With social media and accessibility to the players and fans/media's voices being heard now more than ever the pressure has mounted IMO.

In regards to the other stuff, we could argue all day about who might be better in the future but we never really know. I say that I think Dallas and LA will be better, but it's all based on opinion. Which I guess to an extent makes you and jmoney right, you never really know. I'm just forming an opinion based on current variables and what I think will happen. We'll just have to wait and see how it plays out, but my main contention is still this: Dwight is an idiot for acting as though he has leverage and I still don't see why he would be so closed minded or set on Brooklyn as a destination. Seems to benefit him more to open up his options.

And nothing against the Nets or Nets fans, but I hope the plan crashes down on them. I would wish that on any team who clears the cupboard to make room for a "master plan," not just picking on the Nets. I wished it on the Knicks trying to clear everything for the summer of LeBron and I wish it on the Nets now. It's total risk/reward which is ballsy no doubt, but a dangerous game to play. On one hand they could look genius if they get Dwight and D-Will and everything works out great, but on the other hand they get stuck with $40m to Gerald Wallace, D-Will leaves to Dallas, and Dwight doesn't come to BK. The 2nd choice is much funnier to me and the risk you run when you manage teams that way.

jmoney85
07-02-2012, 03:56 PM
from mickey mouse to the crack house

or rags to riches

knicksfan42
07-02-2012, 04:09 PM

Well you have to know where to go. Basically all of north eastern Brooklyn is **** Bay Ridge, Bensonhurst, Borough Park, Midwood, Sheepshead, (much of Brighton), Mil Basin, and Bergen Beach are all nice neighborhoods.

Rockice_8
07-02-2012, 04:25 PM

You just answered your own question by adding the Clippers to your list. The Clippers were arguably the biggest joke in the NBA and now they are a winning team? All it takes is Dwight and D-Will and the Nets are now a winning team in a sick arena with a brand that the owner wants to take global.

They are the hot team and if they win they can cement themselves along with the Knicks, Lakers, Celtics and so on as a team that stars what to play for.

marj987
07-02-2012, 05:06 PM
The distance from the the Brooklyn Nets arena and Madison Square Garden is about 6-7 miles. Brooklyn Nets are going to draw a lot of fans, they have a great logo and colors. they are something brand new and in a HUGE Market.

Brooklyn just has swag. if you ever visit NY the coolest place to be is in Brooklyn, its where the Locals are. Manhattan is for the tourists. im 10 minutes from the New Arena its in a great central location close to all the trains and subways.

Point blank period.

I'm excited for Brooklyn.

waveycrockett
07-02-2012, 05:10 PM
Most of Brooklyn is actually really nice. I think people assume because alot of rappers came out of Brooklyn that its made up of the ghettos and projects when thats pretty bogus

waveycrockett
07-02-2012, 05:11 PM
Well you have to know where to go. Basically all of north eastern Brooklyn is **** Bay Ridge, Bensonhurst, Borough Park, Midwood, Sheepshead, (much of Brighton), Mil Basin, and Bergen Beach are all nice neighborhoods.

Dont forget Park Slope, Brooklyn Heights, Williamsburg, down town brooklyn. The rent in that area is now through the roof. Those areas are gentrified and an extension of manhattan basically.

waveycrockett
07-02-2012, 05:15 PM
And nothing against the Nets or Nets fans, but I hope the plan crashes down on them. I would wish that on any team who clears the cupboard to make room for a "master plan," not just picking on the Nets. I wished it on the Knicks trying to clear everything for the summer of LeBron and I wish it on the Nets now. It's total risk/reward which is ballsy no doubt, but a dangerous game to play. On one hand they could look genius if they get Dwight and D-Will and everything works out great, but on the other hand they get stuck with $40m to Gerald Wallace, D-Will leaves to Dallas, and Dwight doesn't come to BK. The 2nd choice is much funnier to me and the risk you run when you manage teams that way.

Wow. Your really going to use that reference against a city that has gone through 9/11? Over Basketball? Stay classy.

Mr Costanza
Dont forget Park Slope, Brooklyn Heights, Williamsburg, down town brooklyn. The rent in that area is now through the roof. Those areas are gentrified and an extension of manhattan basically.

Those three parts make up the hipster capital of the world. Only slight comparison to manhattan would be price.

GSWJunkie
There has to be something hanging over DH12's head for him to say that he only wants Brooklyn. Maybe it IS the Russian mob or maybe he just got the best piece of *** he ever had from a lady he met there one time and he wants to tap it over and over again, because in all honesty, SF is just as large a market. It's culturally diverse and will have a brand new state-of-the-art arena in 2017, an arena that has been touted as the most anticipated entertainment venue in several decades, even more so than the Brooklyn arena. DH12 would instantly become the biggest star in the entire Bay Area, it would be HIS team as we have a bunch of 2nd and 3rd tier players on our roster so he would dominate the endorsements in all of Northern California and the weather is 10x better.

Now I am a big DH12 fan, but I just want to say, after all this drama, I don't really want him on my team. But when comparing Brooklyn to SF, the only couple of things I can see that has more appeal for Brooklyn is that they are always open and our franchises history leaves a lot to be desired. This was mainly because of a terrible previous ownership group, but that has been removed from the equation. I know a lot of the big companies here are tech companies so I can see an issue of bridging the gap between athletics and technology so that may be another thing to think about. But if I was DH12, I would salivate at the potential chance to be the face of such companies as Facebook, eBay, HP, Capcom/Activision, Apple, Cisco, Oracle, Intel, Google, Yahoo, EA, Adobe, NVIDIA and Netflix to name just a few.

knicksfan42
07-02-2012, 05:23 PM

The other guy, BKLYNPigeon mentioned them, though Downtown Brooklyn isn't too great it borders a number of housing projects. The areas near the court houses are nice though. The actual area around the Barclays center isn't very nice, situated right between Fort Greene and Prospect Heights, with Crown Heights near by.

zB_#85
07-02-2012, 05:23 PM
Wow. Your really going to use that reference against a city that has gone through 9/11? Over Basketball? Stay classy.

yes I did use that reference over basketball, with purely basketball in mind. You sir are the one who took it there. Get a life, keep it on subject and don't twist someone's words who's opinion you may disagree with in a completely unacceptable way.

I'm not super sensitive or politically correct, but I won't have my words twisted in a way that may offend someone when I had no intention of that. Whether many of these people agree with my basketball opinions or not hopefully they can see that I had no intention of taking it there and hopefully you get bashed for being the one to take it there. You'd deserve it.

MagicHero3
07-02-2012, 05:24 PM

it clearly says "plan" not "plane", pls read the whole thing before you accuse ppl of saying something so horrible

waveycrockett
07-02-2012, 05:25 PM
Those three parts make up the hipster capital of the world. Only slight comparison to manhattan would be price.

I live and work in Park Slope. I would say 90% of the people who can afford to live there work in the city. If they are hipsters they are loaded hipsters. Williamsburg is pushing hipsters out as well.

Mr Costanza
07-02-2012, 05:25 PM
yes I did use that reference over basketball, with purely basketball in mind. You sir are the one who took it there. Get a life, keep it on subject and don't twist someone's words who's opinion you may disagree with in a completely unacceptable way.

I'm not super sensitive or politically correct, but I won't have my words twisted in a way that may offend someone when I had no intention of that. Whether many of these people agree with my basketball opinions or not hopefully they can see that I had no intention of taking it there and hopefully you get bashed for being the one to take it there. You'd deserve it.

No one thought you were referencing 9/11... No clue why he went there.

waveycrockett
07-02-2012, 05:26 PM
The other guy, BKLYNPigeon mentioned them, though Downtown Brooklyn isn't too great it borders a number of housing projects. The areas near the court houses are nice though. The actual area around the Barclays center isn't very nice, situated right between Fort Greene and Prospect Heights, with Crown Heights near by.

Bloomberg is gentrifying those areas. He's pushing people out of those areas in further down into East Brooklyn because rent is going way up. Poor people just cant afford to live there anymore.

Mr Costanza
07-02-2012, 05:28 PM
I live and work in Park Slope. I would say 90% of the people who can afford to live there work in the city. If they are hipsters they are loaded hipsters. Williamsburg is pushing hipsters out as well.

I hope so. There are very few things that piss me off more than hipsters. They have no place in fine areas like that. Send them all to the Albany st projects.

knicksfan42
07-02-2012, 05:30 PM

Most hipsters are loaded. The other guy is right Park Slope, Brooklyn Heights, and Williamsburg make up the hipster capital of the world.

knicksfan42
07-02-2012, 05:33 PM
I hope so.There are very few things that piss me off more than hipsters. They have no place in fine areas like that. Send them all to the Albany st projects.

:nod: Send them to Red Hook. I was dragged to some hipster coffee shop in Park Slope and it was ****ing horrible. The level of pretencious douchbaggary is unmatched.

Mr Costanza
07-02-2012, 05:37 PM
:nod: Send them to Red Hook. I was dragged to some hipster coffee shop in Park Slope and it was ****ing horrible. The level of pretencious douchbaggary is unmatched.

Coffee shop in Park Slope < Staten Island Dump

ChaseHamels
07-02-2012, 05:57 PM
Because its "gangster" and the players can act all "hood" when they put on the BK gear. It's all about street rep to most of these clowns. :D

waveycrockett
07-02-2012, 06:10 PM
Most hipsters are loaded. The other guy is right Park Slope, Brooklyn Heights, and Williamsburg make up the hipster capital of the world.

I live and work in park slope. Most of the population is young professionals. IE Doctors who work at Methodist, LIC or Brooklyn hospital. Lawyers working down the block on Court Street/Boerum ,Bankers, Wall st. types etc...Yeah there is a lot of hipster bars/schools/spots/restuarants etc...Williamsburg still has A LOT of the pot-head, hippy types. If thats what you mean by hipsters.

aztr0
07-02-2012, 06:21 PM
New Arena, big market, advertisements deals, cap space, and buzz in the NY market. All I got to say.

Pretty much this. But, Dwight won't be here since Magic don't want to meet his wishes.

knicksfan42
07-02-2012, 06:24 PM
I live and work in park slope. Most of the population is young professionals. IE Doctors who work at Methodist, LIC or Brooklyn hospital. Lawyers working down the block on Court Street/Boerum ,Bankers, Wall st. types etc...Yeah there is a lot of hipster bars/schools/spots/restuarants etc...Williamsburg still has A LOT of the pot-head, hippy types. If thats what you mean by hipsters.

You live in Park Slope so its hard to believe you don't know really know what a hipster is. I guess maybe its like how smokers can't smell smoke as well. Google images search hipster. Park Slope is literally all hipster.

Punk
07-02-2012, 06:25 PM
Regardless of if the Nets look like the NY Clippers in terms of ranking, they are a brand new market that hasn't been touched since the Brooklyn Dodgers, brand new arena, marketability, an owner with the same amount of money or more money than Mark Cuban, Jay-Z (everyone's rap idol) is in charge of the arena, etc.

Plus, Brooklyn is more laid back and hip compared to Manhattan. Chance at winning a title in the largest basketball market, etc.

I do not blame him either. He's just being annoying about it.

PhillyOwnsAll
07-02-2012, 06:41 PM
Stay down south Dwight. He's a southern clown trying to be hip in the Northeastern area. Go get your braces back on and stay in Orlando.

colinskik
07-03-2012, 03:58 AM
You don't know what you're talking about. Park Slope is not the hipster capital of the world, not even close. It's actually disparagingly known for being a young parent, yuppie type of neighborhood, stollers all over the damn place, getting pissy about the ice cream truck being on their block cause their kids are getting fat ... that type of annoying ****. It's also got a large lesbo population, which is what is what known for in the 80s & 90s.

Downtown BK is where BK Law is and a lot of schools ... mostly rich white people in academia or politics.

"Billyburg" as the most annoying hipsters will call it is certainly the birthplace of hipsters, but like someone said, they're being priced out by the new age yuppie who wants to spend money to live there for some crazy reason, so the hipsters are all over Bushwick now, and "East Williamsburg" which is a made up hood.

That's what's up.

Whomewhome
07-03-2012, 05:02 AM
Brooklyn has longed for any kind of team...now they have one they want to compete NOW! they don't want to make the same mistakes as the Mets, when they moved into their new ballpark with a mediocre roster. It's all IN or nothing