PDA

View Full Version : Calderon to the Lakers?

Mr.B
07-02-2012, 12:21 AM
According to SI.com if Toronto signs Nash and amnesties Calderon (which they would have to in order to create enough cap room to sign Nash) his 1st choice is the Lakers. I'm not a Lakers fan at all but they NEED to trade Bynum for Howard!

Calderon
Kobe
Meta P.O.S.
Pau
Howard

That's a pretty sick starting 5!

http://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2012/6/30/3128900/report-lakers-first-choice-for-jose-calderon

If he's amnestied he becomes a free agent.

dtmagnet
07-02-2012, 12:22 AM
According to SI.com if Toronto signs Nash and amnesties Calderon (which they would have to in order to create enough cap room to sign Nash) his 1st choice is the Lakers. I'm not a Lakers fan at all but they NEED to trade Bynum for Howard!

Calderon
Kobe
Meta P.O.S.
Pau
Howard

The bolded part is untrue.

Trace
07-02-2012, 12:22 AM

Calderon
Kobe
Meta P.O.S.
Pau
Howard

How can his first choice be LA?

He doesn't have a choice if he ends up being amnestied. Teams that are under the cap get first pick, correct?

FriedTofuz
07-02-2012, 12:23 AM
the raptors would ammesty calderon to create more cap to sourround more players for steve nash. They have more than enough cap to sign him straight up just saying.

Rego247
07-02-2012, 12:27 AM

Calderon
Kobe
Meta P.O.S.
Pau
Howard

http://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2012/6/30/3128900/report-lakers-first-choice-for-jose-calderon

If he's amnestied he becomes a free agent.

False.

Mr.B
07-02-2012, 12:30 AM
False.

If I'm wrong about him being a free agent then how does it work? If the teams doesn't want you and releases you shouldn't you be able to sign with who ever you want? I'm not being sarcastic I really want to know.

dtmagnet
07-02-2012, 12:32 AM
If I'm wrong about him being a free agent then how does it work? If the teams doesn't want you and releases you shouldn't you be able to sign with who ever you want? I'm not being sarcastic I really want to know.

Teams with cap space get first dibs, and they sort of bid like an auction on how much of his annual salary they are willing to pay. Highest bidder gets the player, so a team could bid up to his full 9.8 or whatever he makes.

Fnom11
07-02-2012, 12:33 AM
Is there a point guard the lakers aren't interested in?

Ashby
07-02-2012, 12:35 AM
Teams with cap space get first dibs, and they sort of bid like an auction on how much of his annual salary they are willing to pay. Highest bidder gets the player, so a team could bid up to his full 9.8 or whatever he makes.

And to add on to that, I believe a team's bid is not shared with the other teams whom have cap space and are bidders as well.

Ashby
07-02-2012, 12:35 AM
Is there a point guard the lakers aren't interested in?

Smush Parker?

Six-8-TheWizard
07-02-2012, 12:40 AM

Thats not the part hes referring to. The false part is the raptors having to amnesty Calderon to sign Nash. We have the cap space to sign him already.

Also for future reference if a player is amnestied then the teams under the cap can bid for him, and if no one does, then the teams over the cap can. THEN if no one bids, the player becomes a free agent and can sign anywhere they want.

popo85
07-02-2012, 12:41 AM
That's if they don't trade Gasol.

Mr.B
07-02-2012, 12:41 AM

I did not know that, thanks for the info! If that's the case then I would expect the Nets or Mavs (which ever doesn't get DWill) to make an offer.

topdog
07-02-2012, 12:45 AM
Lakers won't have a shot. I can't imagine a team under the cap not bidding $1M.

Bulls_fan90
07-02-2012, 12:52 AM
1. Not true

2. All speculation, so Lakers forum

lakers24win
07-02-2012, 01:12 AM
He would want to play along Gasol but it would be pointless since Gasol is getting traded :clap:

Showtime Steve
07-02-2012, 01:34 AM
1. Not true

2. All speculation, so Lakers forum

I imagine the bulls forum cant be too exciting. Is it all about Drose rehab?

IndyRealist
07-02-2012, 01:45 AM
Calderon will never clear waivers. Too many teams under the cap need a starting PG. And it's only for 1 year, so it's not like anyone committing long term to him.

Six-8-TheWizard
07-02-2012, 01:49 AM
Calderon will never clear waivers. Too many teams under the cap need a starting PG. And it's only for 1 year, so it's not like anyone committing long term to him.

This x1000

THE MTL
07-02-2012, 01:54 AM
Do the Lakers still have the Lamar Odom trade exception? Trade that for Calderon. Raptors get to get rid of the contract without using amnesty, so they can pay Nash 20 million per season. And Lakers get a PG.

Raps08-09 Champ
07-02-2012, 01:58 AM
BC said they want to trade Calderon, not amnesty.

popo85
07-02-2012, 01:59 AM
Do the Lakers still have the Lamar Odom trade exception? Trade that for Calderon. Raptors get to get rid of the contract without using amnesty, so they can pay Nash 20 million per season. And Lakers get a PG.

Yes they do, that could work...

KB-Pau-DH2012
07-02-2012, 01:59 AM

Not possible, Odom TPE is worth $8.9M (can absorb a contract up to $9.0M). Calderon makes $10.7M next season. Not possible.

Bulls_fan90
07-02-2012, 07:07 AM
I imagine the bulls forum cant be too exciting. Is it all about Drose rehab?

Did I rustle your jimmies?

StarvingKnick22
07-02-2012, 08:21 AM
what does P.O.S. mean?

-Kobe24-TJ19-
07-02-2012, 08:28 AM
Not possible, Odom TPE is worth $8.9M (can absorb a contract up to $9.0M). Calderon makes $10.7M next season. Not possible.

and we are looking to shredd salary not add

deaner
07-02-2012, 09:21 AM
I think rap fans are forgetting that there are new calculations to the cap space number after July 1st. Players have recieved raises and we need to factor in the two rookie first rounders (jval and Ross).

I have not looked at the final numbers but I'm guessing it makes sense to use the Barbosa TPE plus Jose contract space plus the MLE going forward rather than using the cap space we have.

ramz.n
07-02-2012, 09:45 AM
people seem to think that the raptors need to move calderon to get nash..that is completely wrong..the raptors can straight up sign nash...the only reason they would consider amnestying calderon is to make room for another proven nba caliber player to play at the sf position..if they can't get this type of player who can make an immediate impact they are going to hold on to calderon because hes an expiring contract..and there is also the option of trading calderon as well...his value is an alltime high because a couple of teams that are playoff bound need a veteran pg who can still play and the bonus of his contract expiring at the end of the season.