PDA

View Full Version : Knicks might lose Lin

justinnum1
07-02-2012, 12:09 AM
Knicks might get "asik'd"
hollinger
Our @Chris_Broussard points out Knicks might lose Lin if they get "Asiked"

The Knicks can offer Lin a four-year deal worth $24.5 million. But an opposing team can offer Lin a poison pill that could go as high as $40 million over four years. Such a contract would pay Lin $5 million in each of the first two years and then go as high as $15 million in each of the last two years.

Matching such a contract would give the Knicks four players -- Lin, Carmelo Anthony, Amare Stoudemire and Tyson Chandler -- making more than $14 million in the 2014-2015 season. Those four players alone would have a combined salary of $72 million, nearly $2 million above the luxury tax.

While it may be doubtful that a club goes as high as $15 million in a season for Lin, even if one offered Lin roughly $10 million in the third and fourth years of a contract, the Knicks would be cautious about matching, according to a source.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/story/_/id/8121358/backloaded-offer-jeremy-lin-give-new-york-knicks-pause-re-sign-sources-say

THE MTL
07-02-2012, 12:12 AM
The New York Knicks was paying 45 million in luxury tax expenses back when we were in middle school. Its nothing to us!

xxplayerxx23
07-02-2012, 12:13 AM
Lol so be it. If a team offers that much for him enjoy him.

jrm2054
07-02-2012, 12:13 AM
i think he stays a knick

Punk
07-02-2012, 12:14 AM
Lol No. He's going to get matched. By the time that backload kicks in, the roster would look different and Amare will be coming off the books soon.

NYK4L
07-02-2012, 12:14 AM
For that kind of money, no thanks!

Mr.B
07-02-2012, 12:16 AM
The New York Knicks was paying 45 million in luxury tax expenses back when we were in middle school. Its nothing to us!

It will be under the new CBA. If a teams is $20 mil over the cap the owner will be paying about $40 mil in luxury tax. It's not dollar for dollar anymore, the tax escalates. With that being said, Lin is not worth $45 mil. Dude was a flash in the pan. He only benefitted from D'Antoni's system.

Dankster
He's not worth 10 mil per year or anything close to that if speaking solely of performance. But he is a cash cow as marketing goes, so Knicks may be reluctant to give him up just for the money he brings in off the court.

LTBaByyy
Didn't think about that! Raptors will definitely get him if Nash don't sign

RC3
This team was in luxury tax hell the past decade. Dolan may be a bad owner but he is not a cheap one. He is willing to spend.

Dankster
07-02-2012, 12:18 AM
^^I believe the new CBA is changing the old rule from a 1 to 1 ratio for luxury tax spending all the way to 2.5 million being taxed for every 1 million spent. The new luxury tax system is going to make a lot of teams over the cap think more judiciously about future acquisitions.

THE MTL
07-02-2012, 12:20 AM
It will be under the new CBA. If a teams is $20 mil over the cap the owner will be paying about $40 mil in luxury tax. It's not dollar for dollar anymore, the tax escalates. With that being said, Lin is not worth $45 mil. Dude was a flash in the pan. He only benefitted from D'Antoni's system.

Umm, you must have read my post wrong. We had 120 million dollar payroll before. We were paying 40+ million in luxury taxes a long time ago. You think Knicks wont spend 40 million in taxes with a good product on the floor.

Jeremy Lin has opened up a whole country to NYC as well as an entire race of ppl.

Federal Reserve
07-02-2012, 12:21 AM
This is the dumbest thread I have ever seen. ESPN is milking a story in hopes of getting idiots to buy into it. There has been nothing to indicate that any team has expressed strong interest in Lin. The guy is a backup point guard who spent most of his NBA career in the D league. Who would pay him so much money? Tell me of a team that is in high demand for a starting point guard with no defense.

LTBaByyy
07-02-2012, 12:21 AM
72 mill for only 4 players would be crazy! The Raptors would throw Lin that money too

No way they match

AddiX
07-02-2012, 12:22 AM
I've said this could happen for awhile now.

But the thing is, what team is really going to spend that kind of $, on a player with a half season of video tape, in a mike d Antonio system, coming off surgery? That's the kind of move that could end a GMs career.

We all remember what Felton looked like the first two months in ny, he's been a disaster ever since. If a team wants Lin for that kind of price, see ya later Jeremy.

koetravis
07-02-2012, 12:24 AM
hollinger

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/story/_/id/8121358/backloaded-offer-jeremy-lin-give-new-york-knicks-pause-re-sign-sources-say

I like what Morey has started!:D

shep33
You know what? His popularity is likely going to only grow around the world, and he'll be a nice attraction to whatever team he would go to.

That being said, $40 mill is crazy lol

shep33
Edit: double post

dtmagnet
07-02-2012, 12:28 AM
I don't think anyone is dumb enough to give Lin that kind of money.

Dankster
07-02-2012, 12:31 AM
I've said this could happen for awhile now.

But the thing is, what team is really going to spend that kind of $, on a player with a half season of video tape, in a mike d Antonio system, coming off surgery? That's the kind of move that could end a GMs career.

We all remember what Felton looked like the first two months in ny, he's been a disaster ever since. If a team wants Lin for that kind of price, see ya later Jeremy.

Perfect post. Good work addix :clap:

KNICKS R BACK
07-02-2012, 12:31 AM
listen jeremy lin is a flash in the pan, he may be a decent pg one day but hes not there yet by a long shot...that being said if you think that greedy jim dolan is going to let jeremy the cash cow lin get away by any stretch of imagination you are out of your mind...do you have any idea how much revenue jeremy lin generates from asians that dont have a clue about basketball but are knicks fans all of the sudden?

shep33
07-02-2012, 12:35 AM
I don't think anyone is dumb enough to give Lin that kind of money.

I didn't think so until Billy King decided to trade for one of the worst contracts in the NBA.

Billy King created hope for any possibility... KG knows what I'm talking about

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wcz_kDCBTBk

zoned88
07-02-2012, 12:35 AM
This is the dumbest thread I have ever seen. ESPN is milking a story in hopes of getting idiots to buy into it. There has been nothing to indicate that any team has expressed strong interest in Lin. The guy is a backup point guard who spent most of his NBA career in the D league. Who would pay him so much money? Tell me of a team that is in high demand for a starting point guard with no defense.

I said the same thing.. no one is going to open the briefcase on lin especially from that small sample size and after a meniscus tear.. its espn eager for a story.. what did they say.. a $40 mil contract? homeboy was barely makin minimum last season.

Mr.B
07-02-2012, 12:36 AM
Umm, you must have read my post wrong. We had 120 million dollar payroll before. We were paying 40+ million in luxury taxes a long time ago. You think Knicks wont spend 40 million in taxes with a good product on the floor.

Jeremy Lin has opened up a whole country to NYC as well as an entire race of ppl.

No I read it right. My point is that if the Knicks are already paying $40 mil in luxury tax (I don't know what the actual number is) then under the new CBA they will be paying about $80 mil in luxury tax. It's not $1.00 fir every $1.00 you're over the cap any more. The penalty escalates.

thekmp211
07-02-2012, 12:38 AM
sign. and. trade. to. phoenix.

jayjay33
07-02-2012, 01:19 AM
I think lin will get big offers.......if you play him, he will be at least half way decent even if you have to play him as a combo guard of the bench. An that will be enough to make an owner a **** load of money. Game or no game, It's still all about the bottom line.

jayjay33
07-02-2012, 01:21 AM
Nvm..............

Max.This
07-02-2012, 01:28 AM
The owners rake in plenty of money from lin. They'll match any offer because in the grand scheme of things, he earns them way more. Besides that, noone in hell would offer lin that much unless their just trying to **** around and jack up his price

waveycrockett
07-02-2012, 01:31 AM
$72 Million for 4 players? Wow dont think they would match

-Kobe24-TJ19-
07-02-2012, 01:39 AM

:laugh2:

This isnt a regular luxury tax treshold like the old CBA.

Even the Lakers are cutting costs and we are probably the richest franchise in the NBA.

THE MTL
07-02-2012, 01:43 AM
No I read it right. My point is that if the Knicks are already paying $40 mil in luxury tax (I don't know what the actual number is) then under the new CBA they will be paying about $80 mil in luxury tax. It's not $1.00 fir every $1.00 you're over the cap any more. The penalty escalates.

Knicks arent in the luxury tax and havent been in the luxury tax for quite some time. What im saying is that if we are 20 million over the tax, which we would be if Lin gets a huge backloaded contract....we'll pay that 40+ million in taxes cause we have done so in the past.

Losoway
07-02-2012, 01:44 AM
hes not even worth 7 mil per year .... smh whoever outbids the knicks will regret it

nbrod
07-02-2012, 02:08 AM
Lol I hope some team makes them overpay for him

jimm120
07-02-2012, 02:12 AM
Question is if a team will really want to pay Lin 15 million a season in years 3 and 4.

I liked Lin. I saw every Knicks game this season (ok, I did miss a around 3 games, in which I went out with my ex...but whatever). There's good reasons for a team not signing Lin to a 4 year offer of 5/5/15/15.

#1 Lin showed problems with turnovers (which is why he didn't play at Golden State, according to scouting before he came to the Knicks)

#2 Lin isn't the best shooter. He got better the more into "linsanity" he went through.

#3 Lin got very little exposure. Didn't play the first 1 1/2 months I Think. Then got injured for the final month (and playoffs). So, he got a good 1 1/2 month period to showcase himself.

#4 Lin was good, but not as good after "linsanity" run of 8 games.

#5 Lin was essentially playing in the NBA for the first time. A rookie practically.

I Love Lin and hope he comes back still. He has downsides which I believe and hope he'll improve on. But at the same time, the reasons I outlined above show why he SHOULDN'T get an offer of $15 million per in years 3 and 4.

Then, of course, there's marketing money. He brought so much. But at the same time, I believe he brought in so much because he was on the Knicks (NY) and because of the exact situation (team was losing under Dantoni PLUS melo and Amare were out). You don't replicate that situation again easily.

so yeah. You don't give that kind of contract with that length and that money to someone who played for the first time and only for 1 1/2 months.

But I will say this: I do believe he's worth the Knicks 4 years/25 million. 4 years is A LOT to give to a player with what I listed above. But Lin's marketing value I think more than makes up for the average 6 million a year (or 5/5/8/8) that he'd make. He'll be serviceable enough.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
07-02-2012, 02:13 AM
Knicks arent in the luxury tax and havent been in the luxury tax for quite some time. What im saying is that if we are 20 million over the tax, which we would be if Lin gets a huge backloaded contract....we'll pay that 40+ million in taxes cause we have done so in the past.

it would be a lot more than 40+

need to sign other players too besides melo, amare, chandler, lin

nbrod
07-02-2012, 02:13 AM

dnewguy
07-02-2012, 02:18 AM
dumbest thing I seen since prohibition.

jimm120
07-02-2012, 02:19 AM

and risk the Knicks letting him walk and then they'd be up on the charge of a player that's only played 1 1/2 months in his nba career and was super successful in 1/2 a month and good for the 1 month.

hmmm...

IDunknown
07-02-2012, 02:36 AM

Knicks would match a reasonable contract.If Lin got a ridiculous offer,then they can just let him go.

knickfan33
07-02-2012, 03:11 AM
noone is going to offer lin that money. knicks will get him for lower then the price they are allowed to max at.

unless isiah becomes GM of some other nba team, no one is offering that huge of a contrct to a PG who has started like 20 games in the NBA.

AntiG
07-02-2012, 08:13 AM
all depends on where Deron goes. If he's in Dallas, Lin will be playing in Brooklyn. Nets need to bring people to their new stadium.

StarvingKnick22
07-02-2012, 08:17 AM
go ahead someone else sign him. helps get the hype and dissapointment off our backs.

LongIslandIcedZ
07-02-2012, 08:29 AM
Hey, if a team really wants to offer Jeremy Lin 15 million dollars in a couple years, then more power to them. I'm not sure if the Knicks would let Jeremy Lin go in that case, but I think I would. He's a very good player, but he certainly isnt irreplaceable.

onlythisfar41
07-02-2012, 08:37 AM
hollinger

Do you just sit at home all day and post on PSD. Its astonishing how many posts you have in such a small time, its actually kind of sad.

torocan
07-02-2012, 09:51 AM
Folks don't understand how money and basketball intertwine if they don't think someone won't offer Lin $10-$15m in years 3 and 4.

Money and Basketball are linked. More money = more and better players. It's that simple.

You need to spend Money to build a team.
You need earnings to spend Money.
You need to sell seats/merchandise/media to earn Money.
You need players/product to earn Money.

If Lin can bring in $3m per year in seats, merchandise, sponsorships and media contracts, for the paying team it is effectively a DISCOUNT on the cost of his contract.

It's like buying a Car... the price tag says $25k, but if you get a $5k rebate, then you'd never think of it as paying $25k, you'd think of it as paying $20k.

So, let's say you think Lin's pure skill is worth $6m per year. If you think he'll make you $2m per year, then you'll pay him $8m per year... his skill + what he puts in your pocket. At that point, paying Lin $8m per year is the SAME to your pocket book as paying $6m for a player of equal skill who does NOT sell seats.

Now, let's say you are willing to pay him $8m per year for 4 years... that would be a $32m TOTAL contract or something like...

1: $5.5M
2: $5.5M
3: $10M
4: $11M

Now, the thing is that is NOT the only way to build a contract. You could EASILY do something along these lines...

1: $5.5M
2: $5.5M
3: $13M (Guaranteed)
4: $15M (TEAM OPTION)

So, the total contract is now $39M, but in actuality because you have a Year 4 opt-out, you're STILL paying $8m/year for the first 3 Years AND you have the option to trade him as an expiring in year 4, OR you can renegotiate for an extended contract, OR you can just WALK and let him go FA to renegotiate for a lower contract.

What you've really done is sign him to a 3 year contract and dangled the potential for a 4th year as a carrot.

And because he's bringing in $2m per year as a marketing force, you're STILL only paying $6m per year out of pocket AND you're raising the profile of your team and players, thus creating a situation where ALL your players bring in more money.

As for those worrying about locking up salary cap, that ONLY applies for teams that are near/at the Cap/luxury. If you have alot of room (like a team that's rebuilding), it makes ZERO difference if you eat up $6m or $8m of your cap space.

And even if you are hitting the Luxury tax, a player like Lin can actually offset that cost because he raises the profile of everyone around him. Do not underestimate the synergistic value of being a highly popular NBA athlete with global reach. Players like Lin can turn borderline/fringe players into a marketing force.

For a team like the Knicks that's already in Luxury tax territory, it's a considerably trickier proposition, as it hurts your flexibility And you can get double and triple penalized.

The end result is Lin isn't a slam dunk for the Knicks, Nor is he necessarily a bad bet for another team that can benefit the most from his particular situation and talents.