PDA

View Full Version : Report: Hawks turned down Pau Gasol - Josh Smith trade due to Lakers' high price

C-Style
07-01-2012, 07:47 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/eye-on-basketball/19459036/report-hawks-turned-down-pau-gasol---josh-smith-trade-due-to-lakers-high-price

The Hawks have known Josh Smith wants out of Atlanta for some time, but haven't really aggressively approached any deals until the last month or so. New GM Danny Ferry is interested in remaking the roster and so he's opened the phone lines finally.

One such offer reported a few days ago involved Pau Gasol. On Sunday, the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported that the reason the deal fell apart was due to the pricetag the Lakers are putting on Pau Gasol.

In addition to Johnson, the Hawks have been open to moving forward Josh Smith though they've resisted offers so far. Apparently the Hawks balked at a potential deal with the Lakers for Pau Gasol because L.A. wanted another major piece to go along with Smith. That would leave the Hawks with less than six players under contract, less talent, and no short-term cap relief because of the $38 million and two years remaining on Gasol's contract.

C-Style
07-01-2012, 07:48 PM
Hope they revisit this talks again, Lakers could have been looking to dump Artest and probably asked for Teague and or Williams..thoughts?

Raps08-09 Champ
07-01-2012, 07:48 PM
They wanted more?

Gasol is better, but it's the best offer you'll get for Gasol straight up IMO.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
07-01-2012, 07:49 PM
Hope they revisit this talks, Lakers could have been looking to dump Artest and probably asked for Teague and or Williams..thoughts?

I think Pau for Josh would be a fair deal straight up. Then again, the Hawks want to go into rebuilding mode and Teague is also a very good young player right now. I don't see this trade happening.

popo85
07-01-2012, 07:50 PM
JSmoove>>>Minnys offer

*Silver&Black*
07-01-2012, 07:50 PM
Ferry is meeting with Smith soon it was reported. Looks like we are trying to keep Smith.

C-Style
07-01-2012, 07:52 PM
Lakers are rapist, they don't make moves unless they rape

fadedmario
07-01-2012, 07:56 PM
Haha - Gasol isn't worth that much in a trade. Lakers are STUPID.

Josh Smith would have worked out well for LA.

PrettyBoyJ
07-01-2012, 07:57 PM

Lol either they play hard ball or they jus low ball you like your nothing

StarvingKnick22
07-01-2012, 08:00 PM
i wish he could come to NY for Stat.

Mr.B
07-01-2012, 08:05 PM
I wonder if Al Hortford is also on the trading block.

ewmania
07-01-2012, 08:07 PM
i wish he could come to NY for Stat.

this, we get josh and take another bad bench contract

chandler, josh, melo, ???, lin/nash

im all for it

310Casper
07-01-2012, 08:12 PM

Its why they're the #1 overall team in the league, in terms of history, $, and achievements.

problem?

SteBO
07-01-2012, 08:13 PM
I don't blame the Hawks, why give up young assets for an aging Gasol whose owed $15-16 million annually over the remainder of his contract?

dtmagnet
07-01-2012, 08:14 PM
Guessing they asked for Teague as well?

JPHX
Smith for Gortat and change. Gortat's salary is wayy below market value, younger, and gives you bout the same things Gasol would.

reffahead
Flakers got greedy asking for Teague and that was the deal breaker. Probably wanted our 23rd pick as well.

lakersiznumber1
lakers are on crack how could u go wrong with smith even if he didnt resign u could of went 4 paul next year:facepalm:

reffahead
07-01-2012, 08:15 PM
I don't blame the Hawks, why give up young assets for an aging Gasol whose owed $15-16 million annually over the remainder of his contract?

You are mistaken he's owed 19 and 19 hence 38 million over the final two years of deal.

SteBO
07-01-2012, 08:17 PM
You are mistaken he's owed 19 and 19 hence 38 million over the final two years of deal.
Thanks for the correction good sir. But this just furthers my point, it makes no sense for the Hawks.

naztrack
07-01-2012, 08:19 PM
good for the Hawks, I'm sick of the NBA giving the Lakers all the breaks and crazy trades. the lakers almost never losses in a trade and the other team gets killed in the trade. This shouldn't be any surprise Gasol isn't as valued as they think.

K0BE8124
07-01-2012, 08:21 PM
^ you mad bro you just want smith for amari or some stupid **** like that, btw pau is better then Smith...... I'll argue with you but don't feel like it

EDUTEXANS
07-01-2012, 08:23 PM

they got raped last year, trading the Dallas' pick for Jordan Hill

THE MTL
07-01-2012, 08:31 PM
Josh Smith for Pau Gasol is such a fair deal. LA is crazy

DoubleDragon
07-01-2012, 08:38 PM
good for the Hawks, I'm sick of the NBA giving the Lakers all the breaks and crazy trades. the lakers almost never losses in a trade and the other team gets killed in the trade. This shouldn't be any surprise Gasol isn't as valued as they think.

This from a team who got Melo, Amare, Chandler over a short period of time.
Yeah, you're victims;)
and
the Chris Paul trade (and a fair one for 3 teams) was vetoed for the Lakers.

plz dude. Sour grapes makes for a nasty whine

IMO, Gasol's a better value. Better player across the board.
7 footers don't get much more skilled as far as versatility.

Whatever though. What happens happens.
Besides, if you can make a good deal, why wouldn't you go for it as an organization? No conspiracies here, right?

Showtime Steve
07-01-2012, 08:40 PM
If we could dump metta you almost have to do that deal....if that was the case.

Showtime Steve
07-01-2012, 08:46 PM

Smfh. Yea cuz we werent the only team in history to have a trade actually get revoked. And in hindsight, marc gasol is top 5 center. How is it our fault other teams AGREE to the trade? If youre gonna hate on a team, have sensible reasons please.

WolvesJagsOs
07-01-2012, 08:55 PM
JSmoove>>>Minnys offer

I hope your realize that you guys were the ones that came to us about a deal, not us according to reports today.

Showtime Steve
07-01-2012, 09:00 PM
JSmoove>>>Minnys offer

I hope your realize that you guys were the ones that came to us about a deal, not us according to reports today.

No because you guys wanted to pair rubio with pau.

xPhillies08WSCx
07-01-2012, 09:17 PM

lmao this ^ ... so true:laugh2:

Yunqn
07-01-2012, 09:30 PM
Wow l.a and there fans are just amazing .. You guys talk so much ***** about pau when hes on your team but think hes the best player in the world and can be traded for a primed michael jordan..

This is "A OLD" pau gasol

Not "THE OLD" pau gasol .. This guy shoots 3s now .. Cries more .. Is getting older and regressing .. An his contract will be among the highest next year if he is dealt and his trade clause kicks in..

Its really crazy how the way l.a views pau gasol..

b@llhog24
07-01-2012, 09:31 PM

*Refrains from making a Kobe reference*

kylem4711
07-01-2012, 09:32 PM

ha

Structures
07-01-2012, 09:33 PM
How come laker fans are the only fans who consistently come up with dumb trades that rip off other teams?

DODGERS&LAKERS
07-01-2012, 09:36 PM
ha

I havn't been on PSD in a while so I'm sure you guys touched on it, but WTF is Bosh doing in your sig. Thats gross and should be X rated.

DODGERS&LAKERS
07-01-2012, 09:39 PM
How come laker fans are the only fans who consistently come up with dumb trades that rip off other teams?
You can't be serious. Either you just ignore other fans proposals or you only care what Laker fans say. Have you not seen the nets trade proposals for Dwight? Go into any teams forum and read their trade ideas thread, then come back and edit your post. Thanks

ldawg
07-01-2012, 09:40 PM
come on Lakers trade fair. Howard,Josh Smith,Kobe is a darn good trio what is the matter with Mitch?

naps
07-01-2012, 09:40 PM
Hope they revisit this talks again, Lakers could have been looking to dump Artest and probably asked for Teague and or Williams..thoughts?

Really? They would take on your garbage and give up their future PG too? WoW!

popo85
07-01-2012, 09:42 PM
come on Lakers trade fair. Howard,Josh Smith,Kobe is a darn good trio what is the matter with Mitch?

That's if the Diva wants to play for L.A

JordansBulls
07-01-2012, 09:43 PM
Good for the Hawks.

lpdunks8
07-01-2012, 09:52 PM
The deal can't work straight up.

According to the trade machine, Atlanta needed to send a player (or players) making over $3M as well as Smith:

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=6plhz7w

cheddar08
07-01-2012, 10:15 PM
Gasol>Smith as far as talent and regardless of other factors the Lakers should not do a deal straight up, if anything it's a side step if not a step backwards. Gasol is soft but he is a High IQ guy, passes very well too.

KB-Pau-DH2012
07-01-2012, 10:16 PM
The deal can't work straight up.

According to the trade machine, Atlanta needed to send a player (or players) making over $3M as well as Smith:

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=6plhz7w

I would do a Pau for Zaza + JSmoove + 1st rd pick.

Marvin Williams I just don't think is needed when you have MWP. Plus, he makes more than MWP and has 1 more yr. So I rather keep Ron than to acquire Marvin.

And with Zaza, we have a backup to Dwight (if we can acquire him). Because most likely, we lose Jordan Hill to either Minnesota or Golden State.

dtmagnet
07-01-2012, 10:26 PM
I would do a Pau for Zaza + JSmoove + 1st rd pick.

Marvin Williams I just don't think is needed when you have MWP. Plus, he makes more than MWP and has 1 more yr. So I rather keep Ron than to acquire Marvin.

And with Zaza, we have a backup to Dwight (if we can acquire him). Because most likely, we lose Jordan Hill to either Minnesota or Golden State.

Yeah I bet you would, and thats why the trade talks fell apart.

Avenged
07-01-2012, 10:30 PM

Because in reality, it happens.. :p

Teams have caught on to that though. Good for them.

hawks4
07-01-2012, 10:43 PM
Wanted another major piece to go along with Smith??? HA! That's funny. Nice try, Mitch.

MintBerryCrunch
07-01-2012, 11:11 PM
Why u guys mad that the Lakers are smart traders?

You don't win 16 chips for nothing .. Hahaha

lakersfan01
07-01-2012, 11:22 PM
Mitch Kupcake is a moron

papipapsmanny
07-02-2012, 12:20 AM
I much rather have josh smith than Pau Gasol at this time, Lakers are ********

Honestly Gasol and the Lakers 1st for Josh Smith is what I am doing if I am Atlanta or I am just going to move on

Bos_Sports4Life
07-02-2012, 12:23 AM
its why they're the #1 overall team in the league, in terms of history, $, and achievements.

Problem?

17>16 ;)

THE MTL
07-02-2012, 12:24 AM
THe Lakers are too good for FAIR trades. lol

-Kobe24-TJ19-
07-02-2012, 01:45 AM
Haha - Gasol isn't worth that much in a trade. Lakers are STUPID.

Josh Smith would have worked out well for LA.

we are stupid for trying to win the trades we would make....makes sense I guess:laugh2:

-Kobe24-TJ19-
07-02-2012, 01:47 AM

we almost never lose in the trades because we have a smart front office

-Kobe24-TJ19-
07-02-2012, 01:48 AM
they got raped last year, trading the Dallas' pick for Jordan Hill

Jordan hill was a steal for us

Losoway
07-02-2012, 01:54 AM
lakers probably wanted horford jsmoove teague and first round pick for gasol and blake

C-Style
07-02-2012, 02:11 AM
lakers probably wanted horford jsmoove teague and first round pick for gasol and blake

Negotiations broke off when Lakers asked them to add Teague... That's how good they are, I wouldn't doubt it one bit lol .

Cal827
07-02-2012, 02:17 AM
:pity: goddamn is Gasol becoming overrated on this forum.

Smith averaged 19-10-4 and can be a defensive player of the year candidate in the near future. On top of that, he's in his prime.

Gasol averaged 17-11-4 and was posterized multiple times by Blake Griffin. His defense is ok, but just like with most players, is falling off cause of his age. He is on the Decline, and has that trade kicker that makes the Hawks essentially absorb another Joe Johnson.

If anything, Atlanta should be receiving extras in the deal (picks, prospects). I would honestly laugh at a Gasol-Smith trade straight up if I'm the Hawks GM.

C-Style
07-02-2012, 02:22 AM
^ Gasol put up those numbers playing 3rd fiddle to Bynum and Kobe, Smith is a PF shooting 46%

Cal827
07-02-2012, 02:33 AM
^ Gasol put up those numbers playing 3rd fiddle to Bynum and Kobe, Smith is a PF shooting 46%

True, but Gasol isn't as focused on by defenses that are trying to stop Bynum and his deadly 3 pointers, or Kobe. I know he's a great player, but I think if Bynum didn't develop like he did (and stay healthy), and Gasol was a defensive target as much as he used to be, that his percentages wouldn't be as high.

I think my other points are solid though

Defense: Smith> Gasol
Contracts: Smith > Gasol (trade Kicker)

A couple other points on the two teams:

Atlanta: They gotta blow up the roster and go for a full rebuild. Trading Smith for Gasol wouldn't make them bad enough to obtain good picks... maybe like 8th or 9th each year at the worst (since the East's bottom is downright pathetic). On top of that, they would be paying for a large contract, have lost a prospect the other way (Teague) and have to pay the trade kicker. Don't know why an owner would want to do that if they aren't going to contend.

Lakers: All I'm going to say is Kobe, Smith, Bynum. Mike Brown will probably be murdered by their egos, or have a heart attack on how many long range shots their front court takes lol

numba1CHANGsta
07-02-2012, 02:34 AM
Did the Hawks seriously think they were gonna get Gasol for only Smith? :facepalm:

jsthornton7
07-02-2012, 02:39 AM
I'd just like to say that Laker fans want to trade Gasol not because we think he sucks, but because he doesn't fit with Bynum and we need to shake things up.

Pau is a great player with a playing style that isn't based on athleticism. I don't believe for one second he is on the decline. He has a few top years left.

b-ballistic
07-02-2012, 06:52 AM
I concur

b-ballistic
07-02-2012, 06:54 AM
17>16 ;)

I hate the frickin' Celtics!

Davidgta1
07-02-2012, 07:29 AM
Well if we trade for Dwight which I hope we don't i think I think the lakers would trade pau for josh smith straight up to try to keep Dwight since him an josh are BFF's.

tcav701
07-02-2012, 07:41 AM
I've never seen a team so desperate to trade a player overvalue him at the same time.

SeoulBeatz
07-02-2012, 08:07 AM
Lakers are overvaluing Pau. This isn't a prime Pau, he's 32. J Smoove would be a great pickup for L.A. Pau wasn't involved with the offense as much with the development of Bynum and Josh would be the perfect player to do the dirty work for them. He doesn't need the ball to make an impact.

Don't know what L.A is thinking.

b-ballistic
07-02-2012, 11:05 AM
Because Mitch knows that if he's patient, teams will get more desperate for a quality big man as the season approaches. As long as this does not affect their free agency wish list, they have nothing to lose by waiting it out.

JordansBulls
07-02-2012, 02:15 PM

Smith averaged 19-10-4 and can be a defensive player of the year candidate in the near future. On top of that, he's in his prime.

Gasol averaged 17-11-4 and was posterized multiple times by Blake Griffin. His defense is ok, but just like with most players, is falling off cause of his age. He is on the Decline, and has that trade kicker that makes the Hawks essentially absorb another Joe Johnson.

If anything, Atlanta should be receiving extras in the deal (picks, prospects). I would honestly laugh at a Gasol-Smith trade straight up if I'm the Hawks GM.

Gasol is more proven especially deep in the playoffs.

LakersMaster24
07-02-2012, 03:27 PM

I suggest you look at other stats not just the basic ones like ppg or rpg. Pau is more efficient. Also dont forget that Pau is #3 on Lakers while Smith is the second best or the best player on ATL. Only advantage Smith has over Pau is athleticism which translates into good defense (shot blocking, steals) his athleticism allows him to guard different positions. Once he loses his athleticism Smith will be pretty useless (next Kenyon Martin, maybe worse). The fact that you are comparing a 32 year old Pau to a 20something year old Smith shows that Pau even at this stage of his career is better than JSmoove in many aspects of the game.

hawks4
07-02-2012, 05:01 PM
Did the Hawks seriously think they were gonna get Gasol for only Smith? :facepalm:

I'm interested.....who do you think the Hawks should be giving if they're only receiving Gasol in return?

MiamiBoy77
07-02-2012, 05:04 PM
I think something like Pau and a S&T Sessions for Smoove, Zaza, TMac, and S&T Hinrich?

Vinylman
07-02-2012, 05:13 PM
I think something like Pau and a S&T Sessions for Smoove, Zaza, TMac, and S&T Hinrich?

:facepalm:

the minimum deal is Gasol for smith/williams

they probably asked Gasol for smith/Teague/filler (which is probably to much)

or they asked for

Gasol for Smith/Williams/1st rounder

Atl will do the smith/williams deal if they trade JJ