PDA

View Full Version : Why are so many AVERAGE Players getting such HUGE Contracts?

Nikeman
07-01-2012, 12:30 PM
I just do not get it...

Roy Hibbert- Max contract?

Good player, don't get me wrong, but he averaged below 13 points and didn't even average 10 rebounds a game....

Omer Asik-

3 pts and 5 rebounds a game, and teams dishing out 8 mill per year contracts to him?

Nicholas Batum-

14 ppg under 5 rpg, and playing some good defense gets you 12 mill per year?

What is going on? Why are teams overpaying so badly for players?

jmoney85
07-01-2012, 12:31 PM
its because of this flawed soft cap... if they had a hard cap like the NHL this stuff would never happen

Chronz
07-01-2012, 12:32 PM
Maybe those players are better than you think?

Nikeman
07-01-2012, 12:33 PM

Yea..

Omer Asik really worth 8 mill per year?

Maybe 4 max..

Roy Hibbert really worth a max deal?

Stunner
07-01-2012, 12:34 PM
They have to overpay players don't won't normally get paid because they have to use up so much of their cap with the new CBA. David aldridge was talking about. It's some sort of deal

Baller1
07-01-2012, 12:35 PM
Some teams that aren't big name franchises don't really have a choice. The only way to lure players is by overpaying.

Nikeman
07-01-2012, 12:36 PM
Like to me,

if your giving Roy Hibbert a max deal, your putting him in company of Dwight, LeBron, Kobe, Rose, Wade, Durant, Paul, you get the point type players and Hibbert is nowhere close to their level.

Chronz
07-01-2012, 12:39 PM
Yea..

Omer Asik really worth 8 mill per year?

Maybe 4 max..

Roy Hibbert really worth a max deal?

LOL if you ran a team nobody would ever sign there. 4 year max? LMFAO

Hibbert is overpaid but its only a few million, unless you can find an adequate replacement on the cheap, what do you have to gain? Is there someone else you can use that cap space on?

Think of it this way, when players are under rookie contracts they are underpaid, FA is a way of them making back some of that money.

Shareeb_omac2
07-01-2012, 12:40 PM
Supply and demand. I'm ok with Hibbert getting a max because how often do 7'2" centers, that can actually dribble a basketball, hit the open market?

Swashcuff
07-01-2012, 12:40 PM

Maybe those teams are willing to overpay out of desperation.

Hawkeye15
07-01-2012, 12:41 PM
I am surprised some are still surprised about these offers....

Chronz
07-01-2012, 12:42 PM
Like to me,

if your giving Roy Hibbert a max deal, your putting him in company of Dwight, LeBron, Kobe, Rose, Wade, Durant, Paul, you get the point type players and Hibbert is nowhere close to their level.
Doesnt work that way with a cap limit, the stars are seriously underpaid, if the stars were paid what they deserved there would a clear difference in salary. But as is, your always going to have teams willing to overpay slightly for hot commodities.

Hibbert getting this deal puts him in the conversation with Rudy Gay and Z-Bo as well.

ManRam
07-01-2012, 12:42 PM
No different than what happens every year.

It's not like Hibbert's max is going to get him 20 million a year either...it's not too crazy. Max contracts grow the longer you're in the league...

8M for Asik is a little much, but there are so few good centers out there.

It happens all the time. Supply and demand I guess. Nothing to be surprised about...

blastmasta26
07-01-2012, 12:43 PM
It's become the norm. Overpaying really matters when it's an egregious contract.

VRP723
07-01-2012, 12:44 PM
I'm not a big NBA fan, but it seems to me that the concept of a max contract is nonsensical. Kind of ruins the idea of paying market value in free agency.

Fly
07-01-2012, 12:44 PM
Asik's deal is really the only crazy one out of the deals you listed

Nikeman
07-01-2012, 12:45 PM
Asik's deal is really the only crazy one out of the deals you listed

I think it is crazy Batum will only be making 2 mill less per year then LeBron as well.

The talent difference between those two is the ground to sky.

Blitzbolt
07-01-2012, 12:46 PM
Just like Blake Griffin and others who already got a max like Gay or Granger teams are looking for the future some will miss some others won't time will tell.

Fly
07-01-2012, 12:46 PM
I think it is crazy Batum will only be making 2 mill less per year then LeBron as well.

Lebron took a paycut to come to Miami

akia83
07-01-2012, 12:50 PM
The players you mention are young and can easily become better.

Asik isn't just 3pts/5rbds, he's one of the best defender in the league, and can become a 6pts/10 rbds pretty easily, he worth at least 6M$/y

Batum will become a top 5 SF in a couple of years, imo.

Federal Reserve
07-01-2012, 12:54 PM
It feels good knowing that the Knicks will not be overpaying to get a player not worthy of a contract, this year.

popo85
07-01-2012, 12:56 PM
Teams are desperate.

ManRam
07-01-2012, 12:58 PM
Oh well.

Maybe the league gets it right during the next lockout. Nothing changed at all...

brandt
07-01-2012, 01:11 PM
I just do not get it...

Omer Asik-

3 pts and 5 rebounds a game, and teams dishing out 8 mill per year contracts to him? What is going on? Why are teams overpaying so badly for players? Who Payed or even offered 8 million for Asik? Exactly, No one. Just because you hear those things doesn't mean they are true.

ManRam
07-01-2012, 01:14 PM
Asik is similar to Gortat IMO. A backup with a lot of talent and athleticism, who just doesn't get a ton of minutes. I'm not saying he's as good as Gortat (he isn't), but with more minutes he could become a solid center.

Gortat was a 4-4 guy during his Orlando days...and is now a 15-10 player, and perhaps a top 5 center.

Again, not saying he's Gortat, I'm just saying that getting carried away with his per game stats when he's playing behind Noah isn't a smart move.

IndyRealist
07-01-2012, 01:24 PM
I think people are misunderstanding max contract for Roy. This is not Joe Johnson money. It's not Andrew Bynum money. It's more like Marc Gasol money.

Jarvo
07-01-2012, 01:28 PM
Who cares? Those teams are going to be ****ed when they're gonna want to trade them. I think hibbert will get better though.

Stunner
07-01-2012, 01:28 PM
Asik is Benny man from GS 2.0

LanceUpperCut
07-01-2012, 01:47 PM
There may not be a hard cap but with the new luxury tax penalties these teams might be crippling them selves. Batum at 12 a year is a little high for sure and Hibbert on a Max to me is crazy but that's him cashing in on a good playoff. I'm not to sure of Portland's contacts of cap space but I'd imagine if they get Hibbert there won't be much money to add anything else and in the future, That team is good but still no better then a 3-5 seed in the west.

fadedmario
07-01-2012, 01:53 PM
I'm more surprised that old players are getting big deals it appears lately. Fine with me. In about 2-3 years there will be a powershift in the NBA with at least half of the current playoff teams.

Deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetroit Basketball!!!!!

Vinylman
07-01-2012, 02:05 PM

Wrong...

Lebron makes 17.5 million next year... batum was offered 12 million...

not really close

Vinylman
07-01-2012, 02:08 PM
The players you mention are young and can easily become better.
Asik isn't just 3pts/5rbds, he's one of the best defender in the league, and can become a 6pts/10 rbds pretty easily, he worth at least 6M$/y

Batum will become a top 5 SF in a couple of years, imo.

Batum is young... he doesn't turn 24 until December

Asik will be 26 in 2 days...

really not comparative when you consider asik is WAY behind Batum in development terms

Huntey
07-01-2012, 02:11 PM
It's restricted free-agency, it needs to go to keep teams from over-paying. Doesn't help anyone but the player.

topdog
07-01-2012, 02:14 PM
Over the last several years, I haven't quite understood it, but I continually hear about how nearly every GM in the league loves Nic Batum. Then, you consider the offer is from a Wolves team that has Pek-Love-Rubio and just acquired its first credible wing in Budinger. That core is young and can get immensely better. It's overpayment and a risk, but it's what small market teams have to do - take calculated risks (too often teams just take risks).

Hibbert is probably the 3rd or 4th best center in the league and was a leader and a force against the Heat. He is their franchise player and a rare commodity (skilled, lengthy center)

dnewguy
07-01-2012, 02:16 PM
Joe Johnson average less that 10ppg, less than 5aspg in the play-offs and was rewarded with a bigger check than Lebron James that off season. Nothing surprises me anymore

blastmasta26
07-01-2012, 02:17 PM
Joe Johnson average less that 10ppg, less than 5aspg in the play-offs and was rewarded with a bigger check than Lebron James that off season. Nothing surprises me anymore
JJ's deal obviously is a terrible contract, but LeBron chose to take less than the max lol.

KobeOwnSU
07-01-2012, 02:23 PM
It is quite surprising the amount of money that we are hearing. I thought the whole lockout was because teams are losing money and yet they continue to overpay.

Sadds The Gr8
07-01-2012, 02:25 PM
happens every year this shouldn't be surprising.

Chronz
07-01-2012, 02:30 PM
Asik is similar to Gortat IMO. A backup with a lot of talent and athleticism, who just doesn't get a ton of minutes. I'm not saying he's as good as Gortat (he isn't), but with more minutes he could become a solid center.

Gortat was a 4-4 guy during his Orlando days...and is now a 15-10 player, and perhaps a top 5 center.

Again, not saying he's Gortat, I'm just saying that getting carried away with his per game stats when he's playing behind Noah isn't a smart move.

Give it time, once teams start paying the strict tax, you will see them cut costs

Cracka2HI!
07-01-2012, 02:32 PM
Hibbert is certainly worth the max. The max is A LOT lower now, unless you take it from your own team. Under $15 million a year is worth it for a 7'2'' all-star in this day and age.

Asik and Batum would be a bit overpaid I guess, but you can't get players at a fair market price when they are out on the open market. This relates to more than just basketball. It's supply and demand. When the player is on the open market the demand is MUCH greater. Teams can benefit from locking up their players early. A perfect example is DeAndre Jordan. He made 800K the year of his rookie deal and would have been much more likely to take a reasonable deal that year. The Clippers should have offered him $4-5 million a year when he was making 800K rather than let him hit the open market and let GS set the price.

Hellcrooner
07-01-2012, 02:37 PM
because the new cba and the superluxury tax was gonna end with inflated salarys.

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120410190157/masseffect/images/d/df/Nelson-simpsons.jpg

rocket
07-01-2012, 02:38 PM
You actually think Asik is going to only avg. 3pts and 5reb? lol

Chronz
07-01-2012, 02:39 PM
Hibbert is certainly worth the max. The max is A LOT lower now, unless you take it from your own team. Under $15 million a year is worth it for a 7'2'' all-star in this day and age.

Asik and Batum would be a bit overpaid I guess, but you can't get players at a fair market price when they are out on the open market. This relates to more than just basketball. It's supply and demand. When the player is on the open market the demand is MUCH greater. Teams can benefit from locking up their players early. A perfect example is DeAndre Jordan. He made 800K the year of his rookie deal and would have been much more likely to take a reasonable deal that year. The Clippers should have offered him $4-5 million a year when he was making 800K rather than let him hit the open market and let GS set the price.

Yup, thats what Morey did with Kyle Lowry. His production to cost ratio is superb, but it can be a risk if it doesnt pan out.

I agree on DJ tho, but are we sure he would have been willing to accept that then? This is where signing Caron Butler really hurts us, we could have been players in this years FA, instead we are left with scraps.

Showtime Steve
07-01-2012, 02:49 PM
Because of the owners. They complain that the players make too much money so they rape em' in the new CBA, then outbid each other on the players. Its not their fault the owners offer crazy money. Owners are hippocrites

Vinylman
07-01-2012, 02:59 PM
why wouldn't small market teams overpay?

It's not like they have to be economically competitive anymore when you factor in the abusive Revenue sharing plan implemented during the last CBA

Those teams will continue to make bad economic decisions because there are no consequences

ackar
07-01-2012, 03:08 PM
because regardless of what the owners said during the lockout and this goes same for NFL its all crap. no matter what the CBA says or allows for you will always have several bad contracts that hamstring a team.

topdog
07-01-2012, 03:13 PM
I'm not seeing what is so horrible about the Batum and Hibbert deals. I just don't believe the Asik one... haven't seen it anywhere.

Portland and Minnesota aren't teams just throwing money at least year's hot player or whatnot. They are targeting players they feel will fit into their starting lineups long-term and complement their other stars on the basis of their progression (Hibbert and Batum both have gotten progressively better as YOUNG players). Not to mention the cheap rookie contracts both teams have that will continue to balance the payroll for a few years.

beasted86
07-01-2012, 03:13 PM
Because the OWNERS ARE LOSING MONEY!!! :( :cry: :mad:

SportsNY
07-01-2012, 03:21 PM
It's confusing me how all these guys are getting this kind of money. It's ruining the league, because now teams will have to overspend for players.

cubbies7177
07-01-2012, 03:39 PM
Like to me,

do you not know the players in the league? How many centers are there better than hibbert at his age? and how else is portland going to get another big man? lure them with the excitement of portland? lure them with championship potential? lure them with the fact that everyone that goes to portland gets injured?

that's how i know that you don't watch any basketball... if you had even watched a FA class closely before lbj went to the heat, it's so obvious that BIG MEN GET OVERPAID. GET OVER IT. THERE ARE ONLY SO MANY 7 FOOTERS IN THE WORLD... and hibbert showed a ton of development last year... they are paying for what he "could be" and the fact that he's got size

Cracka2HI!
07-01-2012, 03:50 PM
Yup, thats what Morey did with Kyle Lowry. His production to cost ratio is superb, but it can be a risk if it doesnt pan out.

I agree on DJ tho, but are we sure he would have been willing to accept that then? This is where signing Caron Butler really hurts us, we could have been players in this years FA, instead we are left with scraps.

I think DJ would have taken 6 in a heartbeat. He probably would have taken 5. He was still Kaman's backup and could have gone from making 800K to $5 million. He had only made around $1.5 million. You never know, but DJ at half price and no Caron would create about $13 million in cap space. It would be nice to be players in Free Agency the season before we need to lock up CP3. With Blake's extension we will no longer be players in Free Agency and now instead have to worry about staying the tax. This is huge offseason for the franchise and we don't have much to work with and no real GM to speak of.

Havoc Wreaker
07-01-2012, 04:04 PM
I remember doing and NBA Redraft a couple of years ago and thinking the same thing.

CoffeeJanitor
07-01-2012, 04:06 PM
Restricted Free Agency + Big Man Lust

beasted86
07-01-2012, 04:06 PM
Every bad contract sets a precedent for another bad contract.

Every Center in free agency for the next 2-3 years is sizing themselves up against Kwame Brown @ $7M, DeAndre Jordan @ $11M, and saying "I'm better than him."

NYKalltheway
07-01-2012, 04:10 PM
salary cap and supply & demand issues

Oefarmy2005
07-01-2012, 06:38 PM
The most important point that everyone here is missing is that teams like Minnesota and Portland are around $20 million under the cap - so they are a long ways away from paying luxury tax.

THE MTL
07-01-2012, 06:41 PM
its because of this flawed soft cap... if they had a hard cap like the NHL this stuff would never happen

No its not, if you paid attention you would realize that all these guys' contract offers are from different teams with "CAP" space.

Wolfman01
07-01-2012, 08:33 PM
First of all Roy Hibbert and Nicolas Batum are both restricted free agent. With that being said any team will most likely throw a huge contract offer so that the team won't want to give that player that kind of money. Roy Hibbert was a all star last year and many teams are willing to pay the guy over $10 million a year. Nicolas Batum and Roy Hibbert are good young players and when teams get a chance to snatch that player by offering big contracts they will likely not miss the chance to. Yes of course their stats are not that great but overall the way how they play the game highly effects the decision making of winning and that's what counts the most at the end of all games. Look at DeAndre Jordan new contract last year the guy got a big time contract extenstion that was a 4 year 40+ million. The Clippers gave him that money for defensive purpose only and the guy can't even average more then 10 points or 10 rebounds a game. Basketball is not just only about putting big numbers.

Hawkeye15
07-01-2012, 08:44 PM
The most important point that everyone here is missing is that teams like Minnesota and Portland are around $20 million under the cap - so they are a long ways away from paying luxury tax.

ding ding ding.

Lakerfan8032
07-01-2012, 08:44 PM
I am surprised some are still surprised about these offers....

Exactly! This happens every year. It will always happen. It usually happens to big men. There will be signings every year that will just astound most people.

nbrod
07-01-2012, 09:06 PM
Teams have to overpay. They won't get the players they want unless they overpay. If they give them lower more fair contracts then they'll always be matched

justinnum1
07-01-2012, 09:08 PM
combination of temas needing to spend a certain amount...like 90% of the cap, and the best players of each free agency always get overpaid.

Sssmush
07-01-2012, 09:16 PM
I just do not get it...

Roy Hibbert- Max contract?

Good player, don't get me wrong, but he averaged below 13 points and didn't even average 10 rebounds a game....

Omer Asik-

3 pts and 5 rebounds a game, and teams dishing out 8 mill per year contracts to him?

Nicholas Batum-

14 ppg under 5 rpg, and playing some good defense gets you 12 mill per year?

What is going on? Why are teams overpaying so badly for players?

this is the beginning of the less-than-competent small market teams painting themselves into a corner and totally ****ing themselves under the new salary restrictions and luxury tax provisions, locking themselves in as fast as possible to having crappy, inflexible, over-priced, borderline luxury tax rosters.

I must admit I am enjoying the show.

torocan
07-01-2012, 10:03 PM
It's called Supply and Demand.

Teams need to fill specific needs, and there's only so many impact players that can do that for each position each FA season.

JeffG20
07-01-2012, 10:10 PM
this is the beginning of the less-than-competent small market teams painting themselves into a corner and totally ****ing themselves under the new salary restrictions and luxury tax provisions, locking themselves in as fast as possible to having crappy, inflexible, over-priced, borderline luxury tax rosters.

I must admit I am enjoying the show.

i somewhat agree but how else would the less desirable places get FA if they dont overpay?

JayHunter
07-01-2012, 10:16 PM
Asik will be 14 plus million in the last year of the contract

Sssmush
07-01-2012, 10:27 PM
i somewhat agree but how else would the less desirable places get FA if they dont overpay?

the small market teams specifically designed this deal to harshly punish "large market" teams who try to use free agency to improve.

Then they turn around and say "we are small market teams, so therefore we must overpay to get free agents to sign with us."

People tried to warn that the small market teams were hurting their own selves with this plan... and that in addition, top flight draft picks would eventually have lessen financial incentive to stay in small markets, because with the cap they are paid artificially less than market value, so why not hop to whichever team they feel like?

Small market teamsIMMEDIATELY jumping the gun to throw near max dollars at players like Hibbert and Asik shows you that the problem was always in the bad mismanagement of those teams.

Sssmush
07-01-2012, 10:32 PM
Teams have to overpay. They won't get the players they want unless they overpay. If they give them lower more fair contracts then they'll always be matched

the players aren't usually overpaid, unless the team is losing money.

All of these teams would offer MORE money if they could. However, if they go over the luxury threshold, ok, now you are REALLY going to overpay with a $3-$1 tax.

Look at the Clippers model. They never rush out to "overpay" some hot free agent of the moment.

If Hibbert is worth it, if that is the price, then pay him. If he's worth it it's not overpaying so that's fine, pay him, keep him.

But the small market teams are already feeling the squeeze from their own stupid CBA and salary cap rules, as they find themselves getting up under the cap quickly and near the luxury tax, with just fairly ordinary players.

Sssmush
07-01-2012, 10:34 PM
The Moneyball play would be to sign and trade Hibbert for 2 or 3 lesser players, and then trade one of those for a pick and an exception.

Like, instead of one guy that bring 15 pts 10 rebounds, get two guys that bring 8 pts and 5 rebounds, plus a back up SG or something.

If I was Indiana I'd be looking to cut costs still, not max out some player after' one good year

xnick5757
07-01-2012, 10:41 PM
Asik's 36 min stats put him at 8 PPG, 13 RPG, and 2.5 BPG.

Pretty good numbers, probably worth the 8 mil in this day and age

lpdunks8
07-01-2012, 10:42 PM
It's confusing me how all these guys are getting this kind of money. It's ruining the league, because now teams will have to overspend for players.

People said the 1989 Jon Koncak contract (him getting that deal still makes me laugh) would ruin the league.

There is a reason the owners are worth 9-10 figures. What they pay is appropriate because they are willing to pay it.

THE MTL
07-02-2012, 01:48 AM
Small markets teams screw themselves over. They the ones who wanted the lockout and got all these new restrictions and they are the same teams overpaying for guys. Whats funny is that the larger markets actually been spending less or even cutting payroll.

Chronz
07-02-2012, 02:05 AM
Small markets teams screw themselves over. They the ones who wanted the lockout and got all these new restrictions and they are the same teams overpaying for guys. Whats funny is that the larger markets actually been spending less or even cutting payroll.

Thats because the small markets got what they wanted, revenue sharing. Lakers are picking up the tab on their mistakes now so they can make more of them

LA_Raiders
07-02-2012, 02:46 AM
looks like Ster did a great job with the new CBA... fail

Sssmush
07-02-2012, 02:56 AM
Thats because the small markets got what they wanted, revenue sharing. Lakers are picking up the tab on their mistakes now so they can make more of them

That's not exactly true, although it doesn't surprise me that some people would hope for that, cynically thinking "now it doesn't matter how stupid we are, because the Lakers and Knicks will pay for our mistakes."

Seriously, I get that mindset, and I totally understand the tendency to revel in that which some people will have.

HOWEVER, just in terms of pure competitiveness (that's what it was all about, right? Competitiveness, long term strength of the league, etc. Not just a quick buck). In terms of competitiveness, these small market teams, overpaying and they don't care, etc, will be capped out.

AND if they're over the cap, not only will they have to pay the luxury tax, but they'll also lose a lot of their sweet, sweet revenue sharing bonuses. So, they won't go over the cap. That, plus their expensive bad decisions, put them squarely in the NBA basement.

What if Indiana drafts the next Jordan next year? Oooooh, but they're capped out. After his rookie contract, what do you do? No more amnesty. You owe $80M to Rashart Poowis. Yayyyy.

Like literally... the CBA is so funny. It's like a collection of rules, like, "well what if this happens?" ok, let's put in a sign with the hometeam incentive. but what about this? "ok, let's limit the MLE for over cap teams." Well, waht about this? "ok, we'll further restrict teams, and double triple the luxury tax."

But what does it all add up to? Small market teams are going to get royally ****ed.

Sssmush
07-02-2012, 02:59 AM
That one poster was right. You can already see that the savvier big market teams are cutting back on spending, being very cautious, seeing the new rules looming. They are waiting for legitimate marquee superstar players, or else cutting payroll.

Meanwhile, lesser teams are ALREADY, in 2012, in the first free agency of the new CBA, already maxing out very marginal players. And guess what? They will be even less tradeable then they would've been.

A team like Indiana gets like two mistakes MAX and then they are done, basically till the next CBA when we gotta hear all about how tough it is to make a buck in this league.

Chronz
07-02-2012, 08:51 AM
That's not exactly true, although it doesn't surprise me that some people would hope for that, cynically thinking "now it doesn't matter how stupid we are, because the Lakers and Knicks will pay for our mistakes."
Whos hoping, seems like the owners to me. Its true that the CBA basically makes the Lakers and other money making teams the funders of the NBA at large. Its alot easier to swallow a bad deal and take risks when your getting external income that wasnt coming in the previous CBA.

HOWEVER, just in terms of pure competitiveness (that's what it was all about, right? Competitiveness, long term strength of the league, etc. Not just a quick buck). In terms of competitiveness, these small market teams, overpaying and they don't care, etc, will be capped out.

Its also to make it easier to retain players and minimize the risk with smaller contract lengths. Also to penalize teams that continue exceeding the cap threshold. In time I have feeling you will see teams stop their spending sprees to avoid the harsh penalty but it wont happen in the years where everyone has cap space and an amnesty clause in their back pocket.

AND if they're over the cap, not only will they have to pay the luxury tax, but they'll also lose a lot of their sweet, sweet revenue sharing bonuses. So, they won't go over the cap. That, plus their expensive bad decisions, put them squarely in the NBA basement.

Nah, their "bad decisions" result in overpaying quality players, to be in the basement you have to be stuck with **** players.

What if Indiana drafts the next Jordan next year? Oooooh, but they're capped out. After his rookie contract, what do you do? No more amnesty. You owe $80M to Rashart Poowis. Yayyyy.
They wont be in the lottery to draft MJ, but they could find a taker for alot of their players.

SpeeMN
07-02-2012, 09:28 AM
That one poster was right. You can already see that the savvier big market teams are cutting back on spending, being very cautious, seeing the new rules looming. They are waiting for legitimate marquee superstar players, or else cutting payroll.

Meanwhile, lesser teams are ALREADY, in 2012, in the first free agency of the new CBA, already maxing out very marginal players. And guess what? They will be even less tradeable then they would've been.

A team like Indiana gets like two mistakes MAX and then they are done, basically till the next CBA when we gotta hear all about how tough it is to make a buck in this league.

The point of the new CBA was so the small market teams can "afford to compete." Revenue sharing allows this and the only way to compete is to have great players, and pay for them too.
Twolves and Blazers need to reach the cap limit(20million to go) before their young stars need to be re-signed. Then they can go over the cap when resigning their homegrown players w/ birdrights.
The 'savvior big market' teams are already over the cap, so of course their way of dealing with the new CBA is different, they are about to have to spend even more on luxury tax!

celtNYpatsHeels
07-02-2012, 12:01 PM
Two words: Market Value

This crop is a "weak" market

Vinylman
07-02-2012, 12:15 PM
The point of the new CBA was so the small market teams can "afford to compete." Revenue sharing allows this and the only way to compete is to have great players, and pay for them too.
Twolves and Blazers need to reach the cap limit(20million to go) before their young stars need to be re-signed. Then they can go over the cap when resigning their homegrown players w/ birdrights.
The 'savvior big market' teams are already over the cap, so of course their way of dealing with the new CBA is different, they are about to have to spend even more on luxury tax!

ah another one who drank the Kool Aid

Don't be a sheep dude... of course that was the public face of the new restrictions (LT, midlevel,etc) on large market teams but the reality is revenue sharing is intended to do one thing and one thing only... mitigate the NBA's financial exposure to teams that make horrible decisions... teams like NO, teams like Charlotte will no longer be on the bankruptcy watch list.

The sad part is what WILL happen... the **** teams will continue to overpay for players for two reasons...

1. the backstop of revenue sharing and LT receipts
2. the requirement to spend 85% of the cap

The new CBA will have ZERO impact on where the stars end up... and in a star driven league that means the NBA won't be any more competitive than it was before.

Do yourself a favor... don't drink Sterns kool aid

nicegoing
07-02-2012, 12:21 PM
Most people assume Asik will be better once he averages more minutes. When you look at his per 36 numbers the deal seems like a steal.

KingPosey
07-02-2012, 12:37 PM
Hibbert would be an after thought 15 years ago, but in todays NBA, thats a top level center. It is what it is.

gbrl
07-02-2012, 12:40 PM

do you not understand the difference in these teams situations some have cap space and others dont hence some signings and payroll cutting. a big market team has the option of waiting for a legit superstar.

Sssmush
07-02-2012, 04:37 PM
Whos hoping, seems like the owners to me. Its true that the CBA basically makes the Lakers and other money making teams the funders of the NBA at large. Its alot easier to swallow a bad deal and take risks when your getting external income that wasnt coming in the previous CBA.

Its also to make it easier to retain players and minimize the risk with smaller contract lengths. Also to penalize teams that continue exceeding the cap threshold. In time I have feeling you will see teams stop their spending sprees to avoid the harsh penalty but it wont happen in the years where everyone has cap space and an amnesty clause in their back pocket.

Nah, their "bad decisions" result in overpaying quality players, to be in the basement you have to be stuck with **** players.

They wont be in the lottery to draft MJ, but they could find a taker for alot of their players.

The thing I see is that, barely 7 months ago, these small market teams or as I like to call them teams with quick buck artist investor owners who've gotten swindled by Stern, these small market teams were ready to FLUSH THE ENTIRE SEASON to teach the players a lessen, and because keeping the league competitive and keeping costs down was so important.

And now, they are already getting into bidding wars WITH EACH OTHER to max out the Roy Hibberts and Asiks of the league.

Listen to me know and believe me later. Just watch what Indiana and Charlotte's roster looks like and salary situation is in 1 or 2 years. The numbers are right there in front of you, the problem is obvious.

Yankees22
07-02-2012, 04:47 PM
It's very simple. Teams are just extremely desperate to get better and are willing to vastly overpay for that (and that's especially the case when it comes to big men since good ones are few and far between)

Losoway
07-02-2012, 04:56 PM
Asik

jayjay33
07-02-2012, 05:39 PM
If your not going to over pay you might as well close down the team. How else are you going to get good player to go to places like "portland".

TopsyTurvy
07-02-2012, 05:41 PM
Cap room = spending room.