PDA

View Full Version : Hibbert could be headed to Portland for max deal

spreadeagle
07-01-2012, 03:48 AM
Sam Amick ‏@sam_amick

Source: Portland GM Neil Olshey & team prez Larry Miller visited restricted free agent center Roy Hibbert tonight in DC, offered max deal

Sam Amick ‏@sam_amick

Indiana did not offer a max deal, and Hibbert is now leaning to Blazers unless Pacers match. One other unnamed team offered max.
https://twitter.com/#!/sam_amick

Nikeman
07-01-2012, 03:51 AM
Wow!

Cullksinikers
07-01-2012, 03:52 AM
Good. Get him out of the East and the Central.

Young2Kinsler
07-01-2012, 03:54 AM
I hope Dallas is the other team that offered the Max, would love him next to Dirk.

MJ-BULLS
07-01-2012, 03:54 AM
wow indeed.

DaoudS
07-01-2012, 03:55 AM
Indiana would be stupid not to match.

KniCks4LiFe
07-01-2012, 03:56 AM
Indy what are you replacing him with?

aussie
07-01-2012, 03:57 AM
Hornets for the unnamed team!!!

JeffG20
07-01-2012, 04:00 AM
dying to know the unnamed team

naps
07-01-2012, 04:00 AM
Max deal has become so normal nowadays. Hibbert is a max player...smh...

KniCks4LiFe
07-01-2012, 04:02 AM
Maybe Brooklyn is that unnamed team. They've been around.

JeffG20
07-01-2012, 04:04 AM
Maybe Brooklyn is that unnamed team. They've been around.

there too busy with the Dwight drama

IversonIsKrazy
07-01-2012, 04:06 AM
U know, I hate how the owner's of the team feel like players are getting paid too much. Are they supposed to be like, oh a max contract? nah, im not worth that. THese GM's are ****ing stupid and ********, Hibbert? Gordon? MAX? The fcuk. these GM's don't know how to run a business, plain and simple.

anyways, wow indeed.

Cal827
07-01-2012, 04:11 AM
Max deal has become so normal nowadays. Hibbert is a max player...smh...

100x this. Looks like Hibbert is gonna win Hawkeye's " who's gonna get that albatross contract they don't deserve award" :facepalm:

BradyIsTheMan12
07-01-2012, 04:12 AM
U know, I hate how the owner's of the team feel like players are getting paid too much. Are they supposed to be like, oh a max contract? nah, im not worth that. THese GM's are ****ing stupid and ********, Hibbert? Gordon? MAX? The fcuk. these GM's don't know how to run a business, plain and simple.

anyways, wow indeed.
Teams like Portland are not going to be able to give a max to a true max level player because they wouldn't come to a small-market team. Is he a max-level player? No, but he is the best option out of a batch of realistic candidates, and he is a center.

Raps08-09 Champ
07-01-2012, 04:12 AM
Don't match. Get him out of the East.

rockets-fan
07-01-2012, 04:13 AM
Gordon and Hibbert are not max players,and I bet Morey is the one that offered that max to Hibbert.

And Asik isn't worth 8 mil,but now a days everyone gets more than they deserve.

Hopper15
07-01-2012, 04:14 AM
indiana would be stupid not to match.

+1

JoeDirt05
07-01-2012, 04:20 AM
hibbert is reported as saying he prefers portland to the other unnamed team :)

JoeDirt05
07-01-2012, 04:21 AM
dont match let us get him :)

shen
07-01-2012, 04:23 AM
Maybe Donnie and KP will have a mini power struggle and as a result we end up with Hibbert! I can dream.

Monta is beast
07-01-2012, 04:23 AM
**** Houston's going to get Asik, Portland's going to get Hibbert, as if the Western Conference wasn't hard enough.

Monta is beast
07-01-2012, 04:24 AM
Don't match. Get him out of the East.

Let's keep him in the East.

Mr_Amaziing
07-01-2012, 04:25 AM
Bobcats

ombada
07-01-2012, 04:25 AM
i highly doubt we dont match.

loublue22
07-01-2012, 04:26 AM
RIP Roy Hibbert

Catfish1314
07-01-2012, 04:26 AM
In today's market, Hibbert is a max center. He's productive at both ends, has great size, and is a true center.

Not saying he's worth that money, but that's the kind of dough thrown at young big men these days.

Monta is beast
07-01-2012, 04:28 AM
i highly doubt we dont match.

I hope you guys match. I can't afford Portland getting an all-star Center :laugh:

KniCks4LiFe
07-01-2012, 04:30 AM
Indy better match it.

49GiantWarriors
07-01-2012, 04:33 AM
God damn if the Blazers get him their offseason needs would be greatly answered. So I hope they dont get him

shen
07-01-2012, 04:35 AM
After we gifted you Harrison Barnes? Would think Warriors fans be a little nicer, all the times we got smacked around in there arena and we gift them Harrison Barnes yet can't even wish us well.

49GiantWarriors
07-01-2012, 04:37 AM
I hope you guys match. I can't afford Portland getting an all-star Center :laugh:

I know!!! I thought tthat once we got Bogut we finally might get an All Star and at center especially

49GiantWarriors
07-01-2012, 04:42 AM
After we gifted you Harrison Barnes? Would think Warriors fans be a little nicer, all the times we got smacked around in there arena and we gift them Harrison Barnes yet can't even wish us well.

I would have been fine with Lillard or Drummond but I wanted Barnes more and I knew you guys werent going to pick him because you needed a point and already have Batum who they highly covet

JoeDirt05
07-01-2012, 04:47 AM
**** Houston's going to get Asik, Portland's going to get Hibbert, as if the Western Conference wasn't hard enough.

like the warriors need to worry about who's going to the west your team is gona be averaging like 140 points a game haha

ewmania
07-01-2012, 04:48 AM
wow indy... match it

you cant lose a rising star like hibbert... he will be a top player in 5 years, mark my words

PocketKings
07-01-2012, 04:49 AM
Teams like Portland are not going to be able to give a max to a true max level player because they wouldn't come to a small-market team. Is he a max-level player? No, but he is the best option out of a batch of realistic candidates, and he is a center.

This.

In today's market, Hibbert is a max center. He's productive at both ends, has great size, and is a true center.

Not saying he's worth that money, but that's the kind of dough thrown at young big men these days.

And this.

naztrack
07-01-2012, 04:51 AM

anyways, wow indeed.

THIS X50.....WTF is going on in the NBA :facepalm:

JoeDirt05
07-01-2012, 04:51 AM
God damn if the Blazers get him their offseason needs would be greatly answered. So I hope they dont get him

yall are just sipping that haterade tonight arent you haha ;)

Monta is beast
07-01-2012, 04:56 AM
like the warriors need to worry about who's going to the west your team is gona be averaging like 140 points a game haha

Haha I wish. But damn if Portland & Houston do end up signing both of them, they both had solid drafts (so did the Warriors), but damn man, the West can't get any tougher.

Monta is beast
07-01-2012, 04:57 AM
wow indy... match it

you cant lose a rising star like hibbert... he will be a top player in 5 years, mark my words

I don't know about that, but they have to match. THEY HAVE TO!!!

JoeDirt05
07-01-2012, 05:03 AM
Haha I wish. But damn if Portland & Houston do end up signing both of them, they both had solid drafts (so did the Warriors), but damn man, the West can't get any tougher.

i think they should move the west from 8 teams into the playoffs to 12 haha and only 4 from the East then send our bottom four from the west to their bracket lol

Davidgta1
07-01-2012, 05:17 AM
Portland would have a great front court.

Jarvo
07-01-2012, 08:09 AM
Hibbert & Aldridge :clap: I can dig it, But Indy dumb as hell if they let him go.

FlakeyFool
07-01-2012, 08:15 AM
Why would Indy be dumb? If they don't view him as a max contract player thats not a dumb move

da ThRONe
07-01-2012, 08:18 AM
I'm trying to think of a situation where over paying for guys ever worked out. I can't think of one. I just don't understand how this is such a consistent part of the NBA. Even the great Kobe Bryant contract is going to kill the Lakers moving forward.

PhlyHighPhilly
07-01-2012, 08:32 AM
This is going to make the value of Javalle McGee inflate even higher now

justinnum1
07-01-2012, 08:36 AM
wow indeed.

did you lose a sig bet?

anyways...this is good news for miami, now philly is almost guaranteed a playoff spot giving miami their pick next year.

hibbert is not worth max

ramz.n
07-01-2012, 08:36 AM
if you compare him to what other centers are making and compare there productivity on offense and defense..hibbert is at market value...he may not worth a max contract..but he deserves as much if not more with what perkins, noah, biedrins, chandler,okafor, nene, gasol, haywood, gortat all have.

Stuckey#3
07-01-2012, 09:32 AM
Hibbert is a top three Center next to Howard and Bynum... He is an All-Star and is no where near his ceiling yet... How is he not worth max money?
Would you rather them offer it to some aging star who is on the decline?

jacquewho?
07-01-2012, 09:34 AM
Hibbert is not worth max IMO (coming from a Pacers fan), it's just the fact that he's a young center (24) who has came off of an All-Star season showing signs of improvement every single season thus far that is going to inflate his value. It's nothing out of the ordinary - the demand for young true centers is through the roof and the supply is very small. I'm expecting Indiana to match.

Stuckey#3
07-01-2012, 09:35 AM
Howard
Bynum
Hibbert
Chandler
Cousins

Name another Center who is better. Hibbert is a top three Center in an era that has few true Center's who can play.

waveycrockett
07-01-2012, 09:38 AM
wow this is a guy Brook Lopez usually kills. Wonder what thats going to do to Lopez contract.

nycericanguy
07-01-2012, 09:40 AM
Just about any decent center will get $10m+ per. Even Asik got offered $8, a 3 & 5 career player who will be 26.

McGee will probably get offered $12m per.

Lopez will get at least $10m.

Dade County
07-01-2012, 09:43 AM
Owners need help protecting themselves again.

waveycrockett
07-01-2012, 09:45 AM
Just about any decent center will get $10m+ per. Even Asik got offered $8, a 3 & 5 career player who will be 26.

McGee will probably get offered $12m per.

Lopez will get at least $10m.

Lopez usually destroys Hibbert. I think Lopez gets the Max now.

ramz.n
07-01-2012, 09:49 AM
howard
bynum
hibbert
chandler
cousins

name another center who is better. Hibbert is a top three center in an era that has few true center's who can play.

marc gasol!...bogut..gortat..even horford.

SluggeR
07-01-2012, 09:55 AM
Max Deal..too much.

IndyRealist
07-01-2012, 09:56 AM
marc gasol!...bogut..gortat..even horford.

Hibbert is not a top 3 center, but to be fair he's better than Gortat, and Bogut has an injury history.

Tha Truth
07-01-2012, 10:12 AM
Hibbert is getting a MAX deal??? WOW

SportsFanatic13
07-01-2012, 10:19 AM
The way Hibbert played in the playoffs especially against the Heat made teams fall in love probably. The NBA is all about potential.

Sports Illustrator
07-01-2012, 10:24 AM

I think this is the best explanation for what is happening in today's NBA.

Even though most of us may feel that Hibbert is being overpaid, Indiana must match the max offer. He was a tremendous part of their team and a big reason as to why Indiana got as far as they did. I also think it would be a big mistake to let him go.

NYMetros
07-01-2012, 10:24 AM
A MAX deal??? Holy crap. I wouldn't match that if I'm Indiana. He's a good player but come on.

Mr. Baller
07-01-2012, 10:26 AM
Aldridge and Hibbert is a great combo

KingsOfQueens
07-01-2012, 10:28 AM
This only has 1 effect on me....trade Amar'e to Indiana!

Hawkeye15
07-01-2012, 10:31 AM
If anyone bashes the Batum offer and is onboard with this one, welcome to being a Wolves hater.

KingsOfQueens
07-01-2012, 10:33 AM
If anyone bashes the Batum offer and is onboard with this one, welcome to being a Wolves hater.

I know right. Everyone hates the Wolves. I personally hate Kahn but I hope they do really well next year. Rubio and Love two extraordinary young talents.

Batum would fill a role instantly.

Mile High Champ
07-01-2012, 10:38 AM

I disagree. Hibbert has more value being a two way big with tremendous size. My biggest concern with offering Batum the contract the wolves did is that Batum had a serious drop off in defensive play last season. I don't see him as the two way player he once was a few years ago. Could he revert back to his old form? Sure but I would want to see it before committing 12 million a year to him. I am much more comfortable throwing the cash at Hibbert than Baum for that reason.

Hawkeye15
07-01-2012, 10:39 AM
I disagree. Hibbert has more value being a two way big with tremendous size. My biggest concern with offering Batum the contract the wolves did is that Batum had a serious drop off in defensive play last season. I don't see him as the two way player he once was a few years ago. Could he revert back to his old form? Sure but I would want to see it before committing 12 million a year to him. I am much more comfortable throwing the cash at Hibbert than Baum for that reason.

I value production over being a certain position. You make A, you produce B. Simple. Just because the center position is beyond weak doesn't mean you overpay to land one of the few legit ones. Land the better player, of which Batum is.

Hawkeye15
07-01-2012, 10:41 AM
I know right. Everyone hates the Wolves. I personally hate Kahn but I hope they do really well next year. Rubio and Love two extraordinary young talents.

Batum would fill a role instantly.

A lot of people have their mind made up regarding Kahn. So they see anything Wolves related and bash it. Fact. My point is, anyone who bashes on that as an overpay better be all over this, because its far more money for a less producing player.

shep33
07-01-2012, 10:44 AM
100x this. Looks like Hibbert is gonna win Hawkeye's " who's gonna get that albatross contract they don't deserve award" :facepalm:

Haha absolutely. Holy overpay Batman.

Also Portland + Big Men = disaster.

IndyRealist
07-01-2012, 10:48 AM
I value production over being a certain position. You make A, you produce B. Simple. Just because the center position is beyond weak doesn't mean you overpay to land one of the few legit ones. Land the better player, of which Batum is.

I disagree. If you field five SF's you're goig to get killed, unless they're all named Lebron or Durant. The way the game is played, you need PG's and you need C's. Both are rare commodities, and therefore you have to overpay for good ones. There are a ton of good players that can be slotted into SG/SF/PF. Only a few good players can play C.

Mile High Champ
07-01-2012, 10:49 AM

You would be hard pressed to find many people on here that would rather have Batum than Hibbert.

jimm120
07-01-2012, 10:49 AM

yeah, unfortunately, the NBA is like this.

The talent just isn't there in the league, so teams often have to overpay to get a good player to their team.

This is just like how David Lee managed to get a max. Unfortunately....

...Not saying these type of players suck. They're pretty god damn good. But they aren't a Lebron, a melo, a Chris Paul, a Pau Gasol (a few years back), a Paul Pierce. They're more like an Iguodala, Lee, etc, whom are great players but not there yet.

Hawkeye15
07-01-2012, 10:52 AM
I disagree. If you field five SF's you're goig to get killed, unless they're all named Lebron or Durant. The way the game is played, you need PG's and you need C's. Both are rare commodities, and therefore you have to overpay for good ones. There are a ton of good players that can be slotted into SG/SF/PF. Only a few good players can play C.

You are welcome to disagree. Production is production.

Hawkeye15
07-01-2012, 10:55 AM
You would be hard pressed to find many people on here that would rather have Batum than Hibbert.

if you also told them Hibbert would make $5 million more per season, I would think you will get a fair answer. Not that I care what many think, I pretty much only care about production.

Again, I get it, in a league full of crappy centers, having a "good" one is a nice thing. But paying Hibbert a max deal to get 13/8/2 is a worse deal then paying Batum $4-5 million less to give you 15-5-2-1-1.

Furthermore, I am simply saying, if you want to say one is overpaid, better be saying both are.

IndyRealist
07-01-2012, 10:58 AM
if you also told them Hibbert would make $5 million more per season, I would think you will get a fair answer. Not that I care what many think, I pretty much only care about production.

Again, I get it, in a league full of crappy centers, having a "good" one is a nice thing. But paying Hibbert a max deal to get 13/8/2 is a worse deal then paying Batum $4-5 million less to give you 15-5-2-1-1.

Furthermore, I am simply saying, if you want to say one is overpaid, better be saying both are.

A max deal for Hibbert starts at like $13-14M, not $17M.

Hawkeye15
07-01-2012, 11:01 AM

Sure, but it increases, and increases. The total amount of the contract would be what? 4 years, $58-62 million or so?

In reality, my only point was you either think both of these deals are overpays (they are), or that neither is. Anything in between is being inconsistent.

IndyRealist
07-01-2012, 11:09 AM
Sure, but it increases, and increases. The total amount of the contract would be what? 4 years, $58-62 million or so?

In reality, my only point was you either think both of these deals are overpays (they are), or that neither is. Anything in between is being inconsistent.

And Batum's contract will increase as well. Given that the numbers are closer than you said, the raises will be too, so the difference is minimal. Nic Batum was (14/5/1.4/1/1) and Roy Hibbert was (14/10/2/.5/2). I think 5 rebounds and a block per game are worth substantially more than $1M/yr. Unless you think rebounds are worthless.

Note: I couldn't justify rounding up 13.9ppg and 1.4apg to 15 and 2 for Batum.

Dankster
07-01-2012, 11:13 AM
Way too much. 10 mil per year seems more reasonable for a guy with his skillset. He's still very robotic like/mechanical with his movement in the paint and he's a bit slow. Don't get me wrong, he's done far better in the league than I anticipated he would when he came out of G-town, but a max player he definitely is not.

4 years and 40-48 million per year sounds more realistic. But when a guy like Deandre Jordan got as much money as he did, I guess it makes sense that Hibbert gets paid better than him.

IndyRealist
07-01-2012, 11:17 AM
Way too much. 10 mil per year seems more reasonable for a guy with his skillset. He's still very robotic like/mechanical with his movement in the paint and he's a bit slow. Don't get me wrong, he's done far better in the league than I anticipated he would when he came out of G-town, but a max player he definitely is not.

4 years and 40-48 million per year sounds more realistic. But when a guy like Deandre Jordan got as much money as he did, I guess it makes sense that Hibbert gets paid better than him.

I think he's getting paid for defense, and anything he gives on offense is bonus. The NBA made a big deal about how the Pacers outscored the Heat when Roy Hibbert (and Kevin Garnett) was on the floor.

asandhu23
07-01-2012, 11:18 AM
someone's getting paid.

Hawkeye15
07-01-2012, 11:19 AM
And Batum's contract will increase as well. Given that the numbers are closer than you said, the raises will be too, so the difference is minimal. Nic Batum was (14/5/1.4/1/1) and Roy Hibbert was (14/10/2/.5/2). I think 5 rebounds and a block per game are worth substantially more than $1M/yr. Unless you think rebounds are worthless.

Note: I couldn't justify rounding up 13.9ppg and 1.4apg to 15 and 2 for Batum.

rounding up because Batum's minutes will increase on the Wolves.

Paying a max deal to a player with huge limits on one side of the ball isn't of any interest to me personally. I hope both teams land their guy, my point simply remains calling one overpaid and one a good deal is inconsistent.

Moving on, because I really don't care where Hibbert signs, I kinda hope Indy matches.

IndyRealist
07-01-2012, 11:21 AM
rounding up because Batum's minutes will increase on the Wolves.

Paying a max deal to a player with huge limits on one side of the ball isn't of any interest to me personally. I hope both teams land their guy, my point simply remains calling one overpaid and one a good deal is inconsistent.

Moving on, because I really don't care where Hibbert signs, I kinda hope Indy matches.

All I'm saying is that Hibbert gives you twice as many rebounds and blocks. If you're looking only at production, then it's justified that he get a bigger contract.

popo85
07-01-2012, 11:29 AM
Portland Failing again..

Ty Fast
07-01-2012, 11:29 AM
no way do i give him a max deal but he would be great for portland. him and Aldridge would be an awesome front court.

YeaDat
07-01-2012, 11:53 AM
And this is exactly why we had the lockout,these dumbass gm's and owners.

fadedmario
07-01-2012, 12:04 PM
Yes!!!!!!!!!!!! Won't take the Pistons long now if the Pacers lose their man in the middle. We actually might make the playoffs next year if this happens.

NYG 2000
07-01-2012, 12:07 PM
No way they aren't matching this deal so Portland can forget it

fadedmario
07-01-2012, 12:07 PM

If you got the money - spend it. As long as you're not over the luxury tax area going forward it doesn't matter. People that are saying the lockout didn't work - are wrong. Some teams just have the money to spend.

Minnesota views Batum as the wing they want, and Portland views Hibbert as the center they want. I see nothing wrong with either deals.

Punk
07-01-2012, 12:10 PM
If Indiana matches they will be capped out and won't be able to sign Gordon. Wow. I guess he might be headed to Portland.

ombada
07-01-2012, 12:22 PM
Yes!!!!!!!!!!!! Won't take the Pistons long now if the Pacers lose their man in the middle. We actually might make the playoffs next year if this happens.

dont get too over zealous, im sure indy will match.

IndyRealist
07-01-2012, 12:25 PM
If Indiana matches they will be capped out and won't be able to sign Gordon. Wow. I guess he might be headed to Portland.

Except Hibbert's contract won't hit the cap until 72hrs after he signs the offer sheet, which he can't do until the 11th. So the Pacers have until the 14th to cut a deal with free agents and have them sign a deal. Then they go over the cap to match Roy on the 14th.

Chronz
07-01-2012, 12:30 PM
Production is production but what position you can get that production from matters. Its the very concept behind replacement value.

Except Hibbert's contract won't hit the cap until 72hrs after he signs the offer sheet, which he can't do until the 11th. So the Pacers have until the 14th to cut a deal with free agents and have them sign a deal. Then they go over the cap to match Roy on the 14th.
Pretty sure it doesnt work that way, a cap hold of some kind (not sure if its the size of the offer sheet) still exists in the meantime.

Shareeb_omac2
07-01-2012, 12:48 PM
I wish the Mavs could somehow land Hibbert.

chicagocubsfan
07-01-2012, 12:51 PM
It's an overpay, but I don't mind it. What some posters need to realize is that Portland is not that big of a market. It's not like stars are lining up to be a Trailblazer.

IndyRealist
07-01-2012, 12:58 PM
Production is production but what position you can get that production from matters. Its the very concept behind replacement value.

Pretty sure it doesnt work that way, a cap hold of some kind (not sure if its the size of the offer sheet) still exists in the meantime.

Cap holds are based on the size of the last year of the previous contract.

Nikeman
07-01-2012, 01:02 PM
Hibbert on the post and LaMarcus on the post/midrange can be deadly if the Blazers can get some quality guards.

The goods
07-01-2012, 01:04 PM
Him and Lamarcus would be deadly.

jiggin
07-01-2012, 01:05 PM
blazers need defense and rebounding, both offense and defensive. If they can get Hibbert and a backup that fill that role, they are shoring up a lot of issues with their roster.

Red Hot Rolllin
07-01-2012, 01:13 PM
I like the move but I"m trying not to get too excited since most likely Indiana will match.

Hibbert would take so much heat of LMA on the defensive end...... it would be huge addition for Blazers.

I'm liking the max out Indiana comments... i give Blazers a 10% Chance

chicagocubsfan
07-01-2012, 01:14 PM
blazers need defense and rebounding, both offense and defensive. If they can get Hibbert and a backup that fill that role, they are shoring up a lot of issues with their roster.
Meyers Leonard?

Stuckey#3
07-01-2012, 01:23 PM

It was a team effort for Indy last year... But if one player stood out as leading the Pacers to the playoffs it was Hibbert. You could make an argument for Granger; but IMO Hibbert is the best player on the Pacers.

13-14 million is not that bad for your franchise player/all-star. Not to mention he is already better than a number of bigs who make as much if not more.

You can give me Hibbert over Rupaul, Amare or ZBo any day of the week.

Punk
07-01-2012, 01:25 PM

But are they really willing to sign Hibbert for a max deal that affects what they do with George and the rest of their players?

IndyRealist
07-01-2012, 01:27 PM
But are they really willing to sign Hibbert for a max deal that affects what they do with George and the rest of their players?

That's the question. How much do they want to commit to their center when they have to resign perimeter guys in the next two years?

Knick_Fever
07-01-2012, 01:29 PM
Match the **it out of it! Don't let the Blazers try to erase the Greg Oden mistake.

DaoudS
07-01-2012, 01:53 PM
The Pacers are already looking at other options at center. They've reached to out Omer Asik, who was with Chicago last season
https://twitter.com/MikeWellsNBA/status/219488326036623361

woah...

FriedTofuz
07-01-2012, 02:12 PM
The pacers will have to match, and now theyre cap space is ****ed over. LOL **** the blazers, always throwing down money. I hope they actually get hibbert and have to suffer with that kind of contract.

LTBaByyy
07-01-2012, 02:13 PM
Lilliard
Mathews
Free agent (Min offered Batum 12 per year)
Aldridge
Hibbert/Leonard

I am jealous :( Aldridge/Hibbert/Leonard rotation is deadly

LTBaByyy
07-01-2012, 02:14 PM
We better get Deron! Because we could be focusing on Hibbert and Gordon now

CarniifeX
07-01-2012, 02:40 PM
Trail Blazers, restricted free agent center Roy Hibbert reach verbal agreement on contract

http://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/index.ssf/2012/07/trail_blazers_restricted_free_agent_center_roy_hib .html

ombada
07-01-2012, 03:03 PM
Trail Blazers, restricted free agent center Roy Hibbert reach verbal agreement on contract

http://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/index.ssf/2012/07/trail_blazers_restricted_free_agent_center_roy_hib .html

read this article... the pacers have unti july 14th to decide what they want to do. They could still retain Hibbert.

IndyRealist
07-01-2012, 03:22 PM
I think they see who can they can get to replace him, and if they whiff on other centers then they match.

ombada
07-01-2012, 03:29 PM
I think they see who can they can get to replace him, and if they whiff on other centers then they match.

right that would be the smart thing to do. They have shown interest in Brandon Bass as well. They have plenty of time to come up with and execute a game plan.

Punk
07-01-2012, 03:31 PM
Hibbert/Aldridge frontcourt is scary good. This would be huge for Portland if they pull it off and retain Batum.

IndyRealist
07-01-2012, 03:36 PM
Anyone else feel this is a Portland F U to Kevin Pritchard?

AllDay28
07-01-2012, 04:16 PM
i just feel like it would make more sense for portland to of drafted harrison barnes instead of lillard at 6 now... batum looks like he is gone if portland can get hibbert. Could you imagine getting barnes at 6 then marshall at 11?

Portland would look like
Hibbert
Aldridge
Barnes
Matthews
Marshall

A pass first pg would do awesome things a Aldridge/Hibbert/Barnes combo

bearadonisdna
07-01-2012, 04:19 PM
Hibbert should take the money and run.

ombada
07-01-2012, 04:56 PM
Hibbert should take the money and run.

per the situation, this makes no sense. he is a RFA. He has verbally agreed to sign with the blazers, but he cant officially sign until the 11th. The Pacers have until the 14th to match, if they do he will be retained at the max.

In essence he already has the money, but has no need to run.

LakersMaster24
07-01-2012, 05:05 PM
So what exactly is Hibbert going to receive per year?

Monta is beast
07-01-2012, 06:29 PM
Come on Indiana match this!

THE MTL
07-01-2012, 06:36 PM
Out of all these "above average" borderline players getting the max, he actually might be worth his contract eventually. There is no one else in the NBA that does what he does at his massive size.

LA_Raiders
07-01-2012, 06:36 PM
lol, looks like all above average players get max deals now...

More-Than-Most
07-01-2012, 06:37 PM
Lol the blazers screwed the pacers...They either lose him or match and over pay while ****ing their cap space...I love portland.

Sssmush
07-01-2012, 06:40 PM
HA! Now the small market teams are starting to feel the pressure of their own stupid salary cap, because if you get 2 max players now you are in danger of paying the 3-1 luxury tax.

So, just let him go Indiana, and just get some more of that sweet, sweet revenue sharing money.

JoeDirt05
07-01-2012, 06:43 PM
the best thing about portland is our owner is the richest man in american sports so he doesnt care about some ****** luxury tax haha

Monta is beast
07-01-2012, 06:54 PM
I think Indiana matches. They can't let someone like Hibbert go just because there overpaying him by 3-4 mill a year.

Gagan136
07-01-2012, 07:19 PM
4 yrs 58 mill, damn thats alot of money for the 3rd/4th best center in the league.

MonroeFAN
07-01-2012, 07:21 PM
lol @ Indiana if this happens. They could potentially miss the playoffs after looking like a bright young team.

GoPacers33
07-01-2012, 07:46 PM
**** u blazers

pacersfan1967
07-01-2012, 08:13 PM
Lol the blazers screwed the pacers...They either lose him or match and over pay while ****ing their cap space...I love portland. not a done deal yet..I hope we sign him & trade him....get something back in return

bmd1101
07-01-2012, 08:14 PM
not a done deal yet..I hope we sign him & trade him....get something back in return

Thats not how it works. They match it or let him go.

IndyRealist
07-01-2012, 08:22 PM
Thats not how it works. They match it or let him go.

They can, nothing is signed until the 11th. Or they can match, and then turn around and trade him.

dodie53
07-01-2012, 08:46 PM
so,
if the blazers get him,
would nash sign there too?

JoeDirt05
07-01-2012, 08:50 PM
.[/QUOTE] not a done deal yet..I hope we sign him & trade him....get something back in return[/QUOTE]
We don't have anything worth trading unless you want Wes Mathews but that's about it or Nolan smith?

JoeDirt05
07-01-2012, 08:51 PM
so,
if the blazers get him,
would nash sign there too?

We already said we aren't going after Nash

justinnum1
07-01-2012, 08:57 PM
dragic
mathews
batum
aldridge
hibbert

sounds like a nasty lineup

ombada
07-01-2012, 09:03 PM
HA! Now the small market teams are starting to feel the pressure of their own stupid salary cap, because if you get 2 max players now you are in danger of paying the 3-1 luxury tax.

So, just let him go Indiana, and just get some more of that sweet, sweet revenue sharing money.

Even if we match we will not be close to the luxury tax. We can still sign hill and will have somewhere between 6-8 mil to sign another player.

popo85
07-01-2012, 09:04 PM
dragic
mathews
batum
aldridge
hibbert

Every year they are supposed to contend and end up not even making the playoffs lol.

ombada
07-01-2012, 09:05 PM
Lol the blazers screwed the pacers...They either lose him or match and over pay while ****ing their cap space...I love portland.

There was another team that offered him the max. so if it wasnt the Blazers it would have been someone else.

justinnum1
07-01-2012, 09:05 PM
Every year they are supposed to contend and end up not even making the playoffs lol.

did you see that the kid they drafted has medical red flags

JeffG20
07-01-2012, 09:09 PM
dragic
mathews
batum
aldridge
hibbert

they better stay healthy lol

BradyIsTheMan12
07-01-2012, 09:10 PM
dragic
mathews
batum
aldridge
hibbert

Portland won't be pursuing a starting point guard in free agency. It is Damian Lillard's to lose.

justinnum1
07-01-2012, 09:12 PM
Portland won't be pursuing a starting point guard in free agency. It is Damian Lillard's to lose.

they should go after dragic.

dragic,batum,aldridge and hibbert would be a nice young core

valade16
07-01-2012, 09:12 PM
did you see that the kid they drafted has medical red flags

Who? I haven't read that about either Leonard or Lillard and as many articles about them as I've read I find it hard to believe I haven't heard that before...

justinnum1
07-01-2012, 09:14 PM
Who? I haven't read that about either Leonard or Lillard and as many articles about them as I've read I find it hard to believe I haven't heard that before...

let me look for it, someone tweeted it

JoeDirt05
07-01-2012, 09:17 PM
It wasn't a red flag Lillard broke his foot his soph. year

justinnum1
07-01-2012, 09:25 PM
It wasn't a red flag Lillard broke his foot his soph. year

yea, my bad...thats what i saw.

JoeDirt05
07-01-2012, 09:28 PM
Yeah no biggie lol you almost made me choke on my soda when I first saw it haha I was like WTF!

StinkEye
07-01-2012, 09:31 PM
dragic
mathews
batum
aldridge
hibbert

that's good, but not winning you an NBA championship.

justinnum1
07-01-2012, 09:36 PM
that's good, but not winning you an NBA championship.

depends how good they can be deffensivley, i think that team can make it to the west semis

AddiX
07-01-2012, 09:42 PM
A bunch of small market teams overpaying for 2nd and 3rd rate players.

Can't imagine this is what they expected when they pushed for a lockout.

gbrl
07-01-2012, 09:49 PM
A bunch of small market teams overpaying for 2nd and 3rd rate players.

Can't imagine this is what they expected when they pushed for a lockout.

right, you wont see big market teams do this especially the knicks

Toastyy
07-01-2012, 09:53 PM
if indy doesnt match there idiots... then again they did draft Plumlee... smh

Punk
07-01-2012, 09:59 PM
right, you wont see big market teams do this especially the knicks

Lol at this post.

I didn't know guys like Tyson Chandler (DPOY), Melo (2nd best scorer), Amare (Premiere finisher) and even a Nash is considered 2nd and rd rate compared to Hibbert, Batum, Asik.

LOL

gbrl
07-01-2012, 10:15 PM
Lol at this post.

I didn't know guys like Tyson Chandler (DPOY), Melo (2nd best scorer), Amare (Premiere finisher) and even a Nash is considered 2nd and rd rate compared to Hibbert, Batum, Asik.

LOL

well i consider top rate players to be superstars and sorry but chandler isnt one. i think hes in the same class as noah and hibbert and he received the same contract just last year

gwrighter
07-01-2012, 10:18 PM
WOW how the C position has thinned out over the years.

Giannis94
07-01-2012, 10:23 PM
WOW how the C position has thinned out over the years.

which is what the nba should do.....

thekmp211
07-01-2012, 10:26 PM
man he should stay in indy but wtf. portLOLand is more like it.

Punk
07-01-2012, 11:02 PM
well i consider top rate players to be superstars and sorry but chandler isnt one. i think hes in the same class as noah and hibbert and he received the same contract just last year
Um No. He got 54 million. Hibbert is getting a boarderline 60 million offer and Tyson is a much better defensive player than Hibbert.

ombada
07-01-2012, 11:07 PM
Um No. He got 54 million. Hibbert is getting a boarderline 60 million offer and Tyson is a much better defensive player than Hibbert.

and hibbert is a much better offensive player and passer. whats your point?

The contract woud be closer to 58 million. Is there anyone in this forum that believes that hibbert isnt worth 4 million more over the course of a contract than Chandler?

gbrl
07-01-2012, 11:10 PM

link. all im seeing for both are 4/58 million contracts

JoeDirt05
07-02-2012, 09:46 AM
Since the Portland Trail Blazers reportedly made an attractive offer to Indiana Pacers center (and restricted free agent) Roy Hibbert on Day One of the 2012 NBA free agency period, several questions have been buzzing. Let's cover them.

Will Indiana Match the Offer?

Almost certainly. Although four years at $14-ish million per is steep you have to look at the Pacers' situation. They've played well in the last two years in the playoffs. They hope they're on the verge of a legitimate title run. They're looking to acquire talent this off-season, not lose it. How in the world would they replace an All-Star level center? Unless they've got a line to Dwight Howard or Andrew Bynum in their back pocket--either of which would cost them mightily in trade--they have to keep Hibbert no matter what the cost. Anything else would be a serious step backwards. That's not to say Hibbert is the perfect player, just a key one and nearly irreplaceable.

Why Would Portland Make an Offer They Knew Would Probably Be Matched?

That's the 14.5 million dollar question, isn't it? They must see an opening somewhere, even if it's small. Best guess is that they're pursuing the same general strategy they did in the draft: go big or go home. Better a 1% chance at the guy you really want than a 90% chance of a guy you don't like so much. The approach makes sense if the free agent cupboard is otherwise bare. If you only like Hibbert and maybe one or two other guys, you run through them in order and see who will bite. Hibbert must be head and shoulders above the rest for them. If this approach fails, there's always trades. It's not like it's Hibbert or nothing...at least not for sure.

This does bring up an interesting point, though. The Blazers seem increasingly willing to accept failure rather than half-successes. That "reload, not rebuild" mantra seems to have gone by the wayside. They're taking a big hack at an immediate reload, sure. But in the likely event it doesn't work, they seem to be OK entering next season with a less-than-optimal lineup and going for the multi-year rebuild.

Click through for talk about Hibbert's talent, the timing of offers, and salary cap implications.

What's Attractive Enough About Hibbert to Justify That Kind of Contract?

Start with 7'2", 280 lbs, 25 years old, never gets injured, and talented enough to start for a solid playoff team. He's athletic, a monster offensive rebounder, a good defender, can score inside without taking touches away from LaMarcus Aldridge. He took a while to develop, but he's a good player now. When you're that big, good nets you $15 mil per year. He'd fit well in Portland. And where else will Portland get a center of that quality?

What's the Timing on the Offers?

Teams can make offers right now but they can only be accepted officially on July 11th. Keep in mind that only one offer--the one actually accepted by the player--counts. If for some reason Hibbert accepted an offer from a different team then Portland's offer wouldn't matter. If Hibbert does sign Portland's offer sheet, Indiana has three days to decide whether or not to match it. If they choose to match it, Hibbert remains in Indiana. If not, he becomes a Blazer. We won't know what's going to happen until Hibbert officially accepts the offer and then Indiana decides or declines to match.

How Does This Offer Affect the Salary Cap?

As soon as Hibbert signs Portland's offer sheet, that amount is reserved as a cap hold against Portland's cap. The Blazers cannot spend it on other offers or free agents, nor use it to facilitate unbalanced trades. If Indiana decides to match the offer, that hold disappears and Portland's cap space comes back into play. Obviously the new contract would then count against Indiana's cap at that point, as they would have just re-signed Hibbert. If Indiana lets Hibbert go then Hibbert's new contract takes the place of the cap hold on Portland's cap.

Note that despite some confusion on this issue, the offer sheet counts only against the cap of the team making the offer (in this case Portland) not against the team considering the offer (Indiana). The offer does not count against Indiana's cap unless and until they decide to match it.

How Does This Offer Affect Nicolas Batum's Restricted Free Agency and Signing Other Free Agents?

This gets interesting, as Portland is in the same situation with Nicolas Batum as Indiana is with Hibbert.

Although the final numbers always end up the same, for purposes of different examples it's often helpful to start your discussion of salary cap numbers in different places. We're starting from a particular place and rounding numbers here for ease of explanation.

The Blazers have, give or take, around $22 million in cap space this summer. This is approximate.

$5 million of that space is tied up in a cap hold preserving the Blazers' rights to Nicolas Batum. That leaves them $17 million.

As soon as Hibbert signs Portland's offer sheet, $14 million of that $17 million will be tied up in a cap hold, leaving Portland $3 million to play with. During the three-day period that Indiana is mulling the Hibbert offer sheet, the Blazers can still use that $3 million.

Three days later the Blazers will either have that $14 million hold taken off their cap because Indiana kept Hibbert or it will become Hibbert's new contract, staying on Portland's cap.

Assuming Nicolas Batum gets an offer from another team, the Blazers will also be considering whether to match it during that same three-day period. Batum's new offer does not affect their cap during this period but the original $5 million cap hold remains. If the Blazers decide to match Batum's new offer then his contract goes on their books. If they decline it, both he and his former cap hold disappear and that money is freed up.

An example of how this works: Assume $14 million per year for Hibbert's offer. Also assume Batum gets a $9 million per year offer. Here's what this would look like.

1. Blazers start with $22 million in cap space, minus Batum's $5 million cap hold = $17 million cap space remaining.

2. Blazers use $14 million of that $17 million to make an offer to Hibbert = $3 million cap space remaining.

3. At the same time a third team makes the $9 million offer to Batum. This does not affect Portland's cap yet. $3 million remains.

4. Three days pass as Indiana mulls the offer for Hibbert and Portland mulls the offer for Batum. At the end of three days one of the following would happen.

Indiana MATCHES Hibbert's offer but Portland DOES NOT MATCH Batum's. Neither player is a Blazer anymore. All cap holds disappear. Portland now has the full $22 million of original cap space to play with.
Indiana MATCHES Hibbert's offer and Portland MATCHES Batum's. Hibbert remains in Indiana. His cap hold comes off of Portland's cap. Batum remains a Blazer. He now counts $9 million against the cap (his new contract amount). Portland originally had $22 million in cap space. Batum's former cap hold is now replaced by his $9 million actual salary, leaving the Blazers $13 million free.
Indiana DOES NOT MATCH Hibbert's offer and Portland DOES NOT MATCH Batum's. Hibbert is now a Blazer, Batum is not. Batum's cap hold disappears providing the Blazers their original $22 million. But Hibbert's new $14 million contract is deducted from that amount, leaving Portland $8 million in cap space.
Indiana DOES NOT MATCH Hibbert's offer and Portland MATCHES Batum's. Both Batum and Hibbert are now Blazers. All cap holds disappear. Portland starts with the original $22 million in space but Hibbert's $14 million contract brings that down to $8 million and Batum's new $9 million contract brings the space down to $-1 million. The Blazers are a million bucks over the cap. This is allowed because Portland holds Batum's Bird Rights.
As you can see, depending on who matches and who does't the Blazers could end up with more cap space than they started with (losing both players and their cap holds) or end up over the cap (gaining both players) or end up somewhere in between (retaining one player and losing the other).

So If the Blazers End Up With Both Hibbert and Batum, That's It for Their Acquisitions, Right?

Not necessarily. Keep in mind that the final numbers only go on the books when a team matches or declines the offer sheet. Notice Lines #2 and #3 above. The Blazers have $3 million in cap space during these stages, as offers have been made but not matched. They can spend that amount during the three-day decision period to acquire another player, then accept the new contracts of Hibbert and Batum onto their cap.

This in-between time, when holds are on the cap but not the full new contract amount, explains why both Indiana and Portland will probably take the full three days to match offers on their players. The full cap amount isn't committed until the official match happens. For the first two days you can pursue other free agents, then match the offer on your own player on the third day, going over the cap to do so. The Pacers will want to spend their available cap money before matching a $14 million offer on Hibbert which would push them over the cap. The Blazers will want to do the same with Batum.

Even after going over the cap, both teams could still make minor acquisitions using cap exceptions. The major signings would be done though.

Confused? Remember These Basics

Portland will tie up most of its cap space in an offer to Hibbert, but will get it all back immediately if Indiana matches the offer to retain him.
Offers can only be signed officially on July 11th.
Indiana then has three days to match or decline once the offer is signed.
Portland has the same three days to match or decline if Batum signs an offer sheet from another team. It's likely both teams will be making their decisions during the same three-day period.
Both teams will probably take the full three days because they'll want to spend available cap space before putting their own player back on their cap fully.
Depending on whether they retain Batum, Hibbert, or both the Blazers could find themselves vastly under the cap, capped out, or somewhere in between after those three days. We won't know until the time has elapsed.
--Dave (blazersub@gmail.com)

the bolded parts covers the confusing **** about the money in reality our cap hit for batum stays at 5 until we match or decline so we can get both batum and hibbert :)

Pacerlive
07-02-2012, 10:15 AM
the bolded parts covers the confusing **** about the money in reality our cap hit for batum stays at 5 until we match or decline so we can get both batum and hibbert :)

Correct so the Pacers could just piss in your cherrios and offer a contract to Batum doing the same exact thing and force the Blazers hands.

JoeDirt05
07-02-2012, 01:45 PM
Correct so the Pacers could just piss in your cherrios and offer a contract to Batum doing the same exact thing and force the Blazers hands.

that doesnt piss in our cherrios we have enough money to sign both :shrug:

ombada
07-02-2012, 03:07 PM

I think he is insinuating that it would raise the total amount of his contract, thereby forcing the Blazers to use more money to sign him.

but idk.

TopsyTurvy
07-02-2012, 03:10 PM
These teams have cap room, albeit less - they have to spend it.

Phenomenonsense
07-02-2012, 03:32 PM
Get him out of the East and Howard. Soon Moose will have no All Star competition in the East.

naps
07-02-2012, 03:45 PM
And to think owners were complaining during the lockout...they hand out contracts like this and blame the players when they get stuck with these...**** the hypocritical owners :facepalm:

akagiredsuns
07-02-2012, 04:36 PM

Give a max to a career 11 & 6 guy who is unproven? Why because he had that miracle game against the Heat in the playoffs? Look what happened afterwards. Max to Hibbert? Wow just :facepalm:

GiantsSwaGG
07-02-2012, 04:40 PM

And any team would be stupid to hire you for a GM position :facepalm:

KB-Pau-DH2012
07-02-2012, 04:47 PM
Potentially starting 5: Lillard, WesMatthews, Batum, LA, Hibbert.

LA and Hibbert the next twin towers of the NBA?!?!?!? :speechless:

Pacerlive
07-02-2012, 04:55 PM

You have enough money if you get Hibbert signed first then Batum. If the Pacer put a offer sheet on Batum first then effectively the Blazers won't have enough money to sign Hibbert to the max. ITs a timing game with the 3 day grace period and whoever puts the offer in and signs first is the one who available capspace shrinks to whatever the new deal is. The Blazers don't have enough capspace to resign Batum and Hibbert if Batum signs first.

Monta is beast
07-02-2012, 05:02 PM
Indiana will match.

shen
07-02-2012, 05:20 PM
Pacers are not going to match, owner has no interest in it, they are already looking at replacements. Pacers beat writer has already said Hibbert will be a Blazer next season.

Pacerlive
07-02-2012, 06:02 PM
Pacers are not going to match, owner has no interest in it, they are already looking at replacements. Pacers beat writer has already said Hibbert will be a Blazer next season.

Pacers beat writer also said we would draft Draymond Green. Mike Wells doesn't have any inside info on this.

BoilerMan013
07-02-2012, 09:35 PM

When it comes to player movement, the things Wells leaks out are normally the things that the team wants leaked out. In effect, they want the Blazers to have 10 days to consider the fact that if they want Hibbert at 14 mil per year, they just might get him.

The Pacers are looking at every talented guy that would fit their team with or without Hibbert; they're not looking for replacements. Hibbert will be a Pacer this season.

Punk
07-02-2012, 09:35 PM
Maybe the Pacers would be better off looking at deals for Lopez and Kamen before making a decision to match or not.

JoeDirt05
07-02-2012, 10:03 PM
You have enough money if you get Hibbert signed first then Batum. If the Pacer put a offer sheet on Batum first then effectively the Blazers won't have enough money to sign Hibbert to the max. ITs a timing game with the 3 day grace period and whoever puts the offer in and signs first is the one who available capspace shrinks to whatever the new deal is. The Blazers don't have enough capspace to resign Batum and Hibbert if Batum signs first.

we have 23 million dollars in cap this offseason and batum's bird rights so we can go over the cap as much as we want

BoilerMan013
07-02-2012, 10:10 PM
we have 23 million dollars in cap this offseason and batum's bird rights so we can go over the cap as much as we want

You can, UNLESS the first year for Batum + Hibbert exceeds your cap space and the timing plays out so you have to sign Batum first. As it is right now, if Batum signs his offer before Hibbert does, you cannot have both because the Pacers will simply wait until Batum's 3 day period is up, then match the offer for Hibbert.

This situation is explained more in-depth in some Portland articles out there if you just google hibbert portland.

JoeDirt05
07-02-2012, 10:33 PM
You can, UNLESS the first year for Batum + Hibbert exceeds your cap space and the timing plays out so you have to sign Batum first. As it is right now, if Batum signs his offer before Hibbert does, you cannot have both because the Pacers will simply wait until Batum's 3 day period is up, then match the offer for Hibbert.

This situation is explained more in-depth in some Portland articles out there if you just google hibbert portland.

batum is in portland this week so we can convince him to wait which from what i have read is what he will do

BoilerMan013
07-02-2012, 10:39 PM
batum is in portland this week so we can convince him to wait which from what i have read is what he will do

I don't believe there would be a problem anyway. :) I believe on the 14th, Hibbert will be a Pacer and Batum will be a Blazer. We just have to endure 2 weeks of posturing haha.

jiggin
07-02-2012, 10:47 PM
I don't believe there would be a problem anyway. :) I believe on the 14th, Hibbert will be a Pacer and Batum will be a Blazer. We just have to endure 2 weeks of posturing haha.

I also believe this...sad part is, there are no good replacement options for the at center...which is the exact reason why the pacers will match and the blazers may be in trouble for a center when this plan A falls through.

JoeDirt05
07-02-2012, 11:24 PM

Or the pacers be nice and let us get hibbert and you can have down so he can go back home haha jk I wouldn't wish him upon anyone lol