PDA

View Full Version : Steve Nash: Staying in PHX 'NO LONGER A HOME RUN'

KB-Pau-DH2012
06-30-2012, 02:33 AM
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8115302/steve-nash-examines-options-says-staying-phoenix-suns-no-longer-home-run

NEW YORK -- After years of brushing aside the notion that he'd ever leave his comfortable desert surroundings, Steve Nash suddenly sounds like a player ready for a change of scenery.

The All-Star point guard sat down with ESPN.com this week to talk about his forthcoming free agency and admitted that, more and more, he pictures himself in a different uniform next season after spending the past eight seasons with the Phoenix Suns.

"I couldn't list a favorite," Nash said in his role of host for his annual Showdown charity soccer game in the Chinatown section of Manhattan, declining the opportunity to name the team with the best shot at signing him once free agency opens leaguewide Sunday at 12:01 a.m.

"But I do know that for the first time I realize that it might not be Phoenix. I would have said even in the middle of (last) season or last year that I would have thought I probably would have stayed in Phoenix forever. But it's come to a point now where I'm facing the reality that's not (the case)."

Asked what's changed, Nash says he senses Suns officials are ready to move in a different direction after they resisted numerous calls -- even from a pocket of Suns fans rooting for the 38-year-old to get a chance to play out his career with a title contender -- to trade Nash during each of the past two seasons. Phoenix has made two consecutive trips to the lottery in the wake of its Cinderella run to the Western Conference finals in 2010.

"I don't necessarily feel like it's a home run anymore," Nash said of re-signing with the Suns. "I don't necessarily feel like they're determined to keep me. I think there's a lot of factors. So, one, I'm not sure they're determined to keep me, (and) two, there's other opportunities that are exciting. So I think I have to be open-minded ... but at the same time be able to forecast where I'll be most successful and happiest."

Nash has made it a point in recent interviews to stress that he's "open to everything" and say he'll listen to any team that calls, but industry sources monitoring the free-agent market have identified four teams that pose the greatest danger to the Suns in terms of signing Nash away: Toronto, Dallas, New York and Brooklyn.

Raptors president of basketball operations Bryan Colangelo, who headed the Phoenix contingent that swooped into Dallas in July 2004 and convinced Nash to leave the Mavericks to return the team that drafted him in less than 24 hours, is planning a similar approach to courting Canada's best-ever player in 2012. Sources say that the Raptors will have at least five members of the organization waiting in New York this weekend to visit Nash as soon as he's ready Sunday, with Toronto widely expected to make the richest financial offer Nash receives this offseason to come back to Canada. The offer is likely to approach $12 million annually, sources say.

The Knicks, sources say, will also have a contingent ready to make a direct pitch and continue to have Nash at the top of their free-agent wish list, despite the fact that New York would likely need to manufacture a sign-and-trade package to have the requisite financial wherewithal to tempt Nash to sign on alongside fans' darling Jeremy Lin.

And the Mavericks -- amid what sources close to the process describe as mounting evidence to suggest that the Nets are on the verge of clinching Deron Williams' commitment to re-sign with them and continue his career in Brooklyn -- are likewise hot after Nash. Nash himself has acknowledged hearing and reading about a lucrative one-year offer to come back to Texas to reunite with close friend Dirk Nowitzki after his emotional departure eight years ago in the event that the Mavericks lose out in the Williams sweepstakes. But sources told ESPN.com this week that the Mavs are prepared to make it a two-year pitch to try to beat out the competition to clinch Nash's return.

Nash, for his part, says that he expects to commit to a team fairly quickly and without leaving New York City to go on recruiting visits. NBA teams can't actually sign players until July 11, when a leaguewide moratorium on new contracts is lifted, but players can make verbal commitments as soon as free agency starts.

"There's positives to every situation," Nash said. "The Raptors would be one of those teams where you're probably not going there to win a championship in the next three years. For me it'd be going home to Canada, to a great city, and trying to help an organization move forward.

"I'm open to the positives of all of them. It'd be great if four or five contenders came after me and all offered me a deal, but the reality is I might not get that opportunity. So I'm going to look at every opportunity and Toronto will be one that I'll study as well and look at the opportunity for them to grow in the next three years and what kind of impact I can have on that team. And obviously from a community standpoint, it's a special place for me."

As for the Mavericks, Nash said: "Everyone knows they're going to go after Deron Williams. He's a terrific player, a lot younger than I am, and that'd be the smart thing for them to do. But if they don't get him, maybe I'll be a candidate there as well. It's a great city. It's one that obviously I have a history with and an affinity and affection for, so it's another opportunity different from Toronto but one that's exciting and has some great facets to it as well."

Asked specifically about the contentious nature of his Dallas exit in 2004 and whether that would in any way dissuade him from returning, Nash added: "That's so far in the past. For me that's not really a factor."

Nash insists that he's not ruling out a return to the Suns. It has been widely anticipated that Phoenix would offer him a new two-year deal worth at least $20 million, but it remains to be seen how far Suns owner Robert Sarver will go when the bids start coming in. The Arizona Republic's Paul Coro reported Friday night that the Suns "do not appear willing to meet (Nash's) wish for a three-year deal" and Suns officials are already fighting the perception that they selected North Carolina point guard Kendall Marshall with the 13th pick in Thursday night's draft as the first step in dealing with Nash's eventual departure.

"It could be," Nash said of re-upping in Phoenix. "It's (just) not set in stone like it was last time" when he agreed to a two-year contract extension in the summer of 2009.

"It's just a different free agency for me and I have to be open-minded to everything."

Suns president of basketball operations Lon Babby told the Republic: "(Nash) will have many factors to weigh. Candidly we will have decisions to make. If we can get together and reach a common ground, that's fine. Regardless of the outcome, the one thing I'm confident about will be that it'll be handled with grace and dignity on both sides. We'll see if there is a basis for the relationship to continue that's best for him and also best for us."

Nash earned nearly $12 million last season and averaged 12.5 points and 10.7 assists for a team that, with no 20-point scorer, nearly snagged the last playoff spot in the West.

"I definitely could go back to Phoenix, but just that opportunity that I may be moving has definitely got me feeling the nerves, anxiety and excitement to see what happens," said Nash, who added that he thinks he could reach his decision "in the first day or so" even as he admits "it's crazy to decide on the next three years of your life in an afternoon or a day."

"Just because things happen fast," Nash continued. "People want to get it out of the way and move on. Not only myself but the teams as well. If something funny happens and I want to take my time, I'll definitely take my time. But the way these things go, I feel, usually (they) happen quick."

Federal Reserve
06-30-2012, 02:36 AM
This article consists of a whole lot of nothing.

KB-Pau-DH2012
06-30-2012, 02:37 AM
This article consists of a whole lot of nothing.

Clink on the link and watch the video. It's better. It's a one-on-one interview between Steve Nash and ESPN's Marc Stein.

celtics 34
06-30-2012, 02:39 AM
I think this just comes down to where deron goes to see what dallas and brooklyn do. Then you have toronto and the knicks with toronto able to offer more money

waveycrockett
06-30-2012, 02:42 AM
I think Dallas knows Deron is staying in BK. They are going to go balls out for Nash. Him and Dirk together again would be pretty crazy.

JPHX
06-30-2012, 02:50 AM
No matter what happens I love this man. Do what makes you happy, babe! You gave Phoenix your best years and we love you for that.

Sincerely,
No Homo

sunsfan88
06-30-2012, 06:39 AM
How does this article present anything that we didn't already know?

I could have told 6 months ago that Nash isn't coming back...then it should have been common sense that Nash isn't coming back when we drafted Kendall Marshall yesterday...

BKLYNpigeon
06-30-2012, 07:00 AM
Go make your money Steve.

thephoenixson28
06-30-2012, 07:17 AM
Suns offered Nash 2 years 10 million a year. I don't see another team offering him that much. But we will see.

dalton749
06-30-2012, 08:23 AM
toronto will more than match the 10 mil offer im sure and i dont see any chance of dallas going back to the finals even with nash there they are all way to old

gwrighter
06-30-2012, 09:25 AM
Nash is almost a lock to the Raps.

StarvingKnick22
06-30-2012, 09:29 AM
Knicks dont want Nash, so sign with Toronto. we wantJason Kidd for the vet. mini

king4day
06-30-2012, 09:29 AM
Most Suns fans are convinced he's gonna leave.
There's talk that the Suns will offer Eric Gordon a max deal to start free agency. I'd guess a lot will depend on this as well (if it's matched or not).

pebloemer
06-30-2012, 09:39 AM
Toronto and Dallas seem like the most likely destinations. As they did about 4 months ago. Both can offer him money, but the situations are very different. Hopefully Nash doesn't stay in limbo for too long.

sunsfan88
06-30-2012, 09:42 AM
Knicks dont want Nash, so sign with Toronto. we wantJason Kidd for the vet. mini

Nash doesn't want the Knicks either. He said he wants to play for a contender, a team with cap space to sign him or the Raptors cause its in Canada.

nate2usmc
06-30-2012, 09:52 AM
Nash doesn't want the Knicks either. He said he wants to play for a contender, a team with cap space to sign him or the Raptors cause its in Canada.

True. He did say he wouldn't mind playing for the Knicks but they have zero cap space and thanks to Amare, they will be there for a while and will keep on being 3 (at best) and 6-7 (worst) in the East.

sunsfan88
06-30-2012, 09:53 AM
Its funny us Suns fans could have warned you guys about A'mare...but yall made a panic move after losing out on LBJ.

Federal Reserve
06-30-2012, 09:58 AM
Its funny us Suns fans could have warned you guys about A'mare...but yall made a panic move after losing out on LBJ.

I didn't know the fans from PSD were in charge of signing free agents for the Knicks. No one in his or her mind thought that the Amare deal was sensible.

Mr Costanza
06-30-2012, 10:20 AM

As a knick fan, I would love to get Nash. It's not a matter of whether they want him or not, they just can't afford him.

Mr Costanza
06-30-2012, 10:23 AM

And you couldnt have PM'd one of us beforehand?

Thanks for nothing. ;)

thekmp211
06-30-2012, 10:31 AM
True. He did say he wouldn't mind playing for the Knicks but they have zero cap space and thanks to Amare, they will be there for a while and will keep on being 3 (at best) and 6-7 (worst) in the East.

to be fair amare's contract is really not THAT bad. and it's not like there is an alternative player out there that would make the knicks better than the heat or celtics.

i think nash to dallas makes the most sense if deron sticks around brooklyn. seems like the most sensible scenario.

StarvingKnick22
06-30-2012, 10:42 AM
Nash doesn't want the Knicks either. He said he wants to play for a contender, a team with cap space to sign him or the Raptors cause its in Canada. he says that he wouldnt mind playing for the knicks, did you even read this article, they are contenders, stop trying to be a knick hater, your team is not good enough:facepalm:

xxplayerxx23
06-30-2012, 10:42 AM

His contract was horrible, We all knew it. His first year was amazing, 2nd down year, lets see his 3rd.

StarvingKnick22
06-30-2012, 10:43 AM
As a knick fan, I would love to get Nash. It's not a matter of whether they want him or not, they just can't afford him.

knicks got 4 mil in the cap space and counting.

dtmagnet
06-30-2012, 10:52 AM
He mentioned Toronto a lot in that interview, I never really believed it before but maybe he actually will be a Raptor.

ManningToTyree
06-30-2012, 10:53 AM

speak for yourself

xxplayerxx23
06-30-2012, 10:56 AM
knicks got 4 mil in the cap space and counting.

And? You think thats enough to sign a big player like nash? Starving Knick go eat some common sense...

StarvingKnick22
06-30-2012, 11:33 AM
And? You think thats enough to sign a big player like nash? Starving Knick go eat some common sense...

that what im saying. we cant afford what nash MIGHT want. im just saying that we actually do have cap space :mad:

nate2usmc
06-30-2012, 11:40 AM
that what im saying. we cant afford what nash MIGHT want. im just saying that we actually do have cap space :mad:

:laugh2:

nate2usmc
06-30-2012, 11:43 AM

Man, I always liked Amare (when healthy) but I was/am a huge DLee fan and didn't want a part of that move BUT he did give the Knicks a much needed boost pre-Melo with his outstanding (non defense) play. He showed great leadership and did work until Melo came onboard.

PS: I'm not bashing Melo! IJS!

justinnum1
06-30-2012, 11:44 AM

actually they signed him before lebron chose his team

KnicksorBust
06-30-2012, 12:41 PM
actually they signed him before lebron chose his team

Yep. The Amar'e signing actually made me feel like we had a BETTER chance at LeBron.

By the way, if anyone actually sat and watched the video I thought it was really interesting. Nash gives such honest answers. For him to just come out and say how Deron Williams is and should be Dallas's #1 target is refreshing to hear. He also gave us some insight by saying that Phoenix seems to be ready to move on without him as well.

I really don't know where he'll go. Raps give us the most cash but he flat out said that they're not a contender. As much as he says it "won't make or break me" I can't help but think this 2x league MVP, who trains year round, wants to reach the top of the mountain before he hangs it up for good.

AI4MVP
06-30-2012, 12:56 PM
Honestly, my gut feeling is that he will sign with the Raptors.

AYozzy
06-30-2012, 12:59 PM
Raptors r offering 3 yr $12 mil per year... He's not passing that up

Mile High Champ
06-30-2012, 01:09 PM
With Nash recently becoming GM of Team Canada's basketball program, the writing is on the wall for his career to conclude in Toronto. Add in the fact that he has said before he would like to play in Canada at some point in his career makes this all that more likely. Plus when you consider the reported 12 million a year the Raps are offering, we can see that Toronto really has the edge going into free agency for his services. Should be interesting next 48 hours or so.

meloman1592
06-30-2012, 01:17 PM
he says that he wouldnt mind playing for the knicks, did you even read this article, they are contenders, stop trying to be a knick hater, your team is not good enough:facepalm:

lmaoooooo

bucketss
06-30-2012, 01:29 PM
he says that he wouldnt mind playing for the knicks, did you even read this article, they are contenders, stop trying to be a knick hater, your team is not good enough:facepalm:

funny thing is pho. only three games behind the knicks in a much tougher western conf. LOL . . knicks are contenders and pho. is "not good enough" thats some pretty hilarious ****.

DR_1
06-30-2012, 01:57 PM
I kinda hope he goes to Toronto. Eould definitely make up for the Ross pick lol.

Mile High Champ
06-30-2012, 02:03 PM
I kinda hope he goes to Toronto. Eould definitely make up for the Ross pick lol.

Ross is a solid player. I still don't understand the hate to be honest as he could end up being a good player. Perhaps better than your boy in Oakland; Mr. Barnes.

NYMetros
06-30-2012, 02:08 PM
It's gonna be so weird not seeing Nash in a Suns uniform.

N3TS
06-30-2012, 03:07 PM

I don't think it's that the knicks don't want Nash its the fact that they can't afford him. Why would they not want Nash if they could afford him?

greg_ory_2005
06-30-2012, 04:48 PM
Come to Toronto Mr. Nash.

flatbush knicks
06-30-2012, 04:57 PM
lmao nash is visiting the knicks first when free agency begins so don't count us out yet:D

flatbush knicks
06-30-2012, 05:00 PM
funny thing is pho. only three games behind the knicks in a much tougher western conf. LOL . . knicks are contenders and pho. is "not good enough" thats some pretty hilarious ****.
:facepalm: the suns suck stop hating on our team my dude nobody was healthy all year dudes talking out of ther *** thats some funny ****

xxplayerxx23
06-30-2012, 06:42 PM
lmao nash is visiting the knicks first when free agency begins so don't count us out yet:D

Link?

mjt20mik
06-30-2012, 06:44 PM
Steve has said in interviews that he would honestly like the idea of retiring in Canada. I can see him coming here as a possibility, however, I really do hope if Toronto does pick him up, they make a strong push for an elite 3 via trade.

flatbush knicks
06-30-2012, 06:47 PM
lmao i read it in the knicks forum a couple days back

flatbush knicks
06-30-2012, 06:52 PM
ok watever it says were contacting nash at midnight not he's coming to us but heck ateast we'll know early if we really have a chance

dtmagnet
06-30-2012, 07:12 PM
ok watever it says were contacting nash at midnight not he's coming to us but heck ateast we'll know early if we really have a chance

I think he'll be asleep at that time.

Tmath
06-30-2012, 07:19 PM
I think he'll be asleep at that time.

:laugh2:

Tmath
06-30-2012, 07:22 PM

Sources say that the Raptors will have at least five members of the organization waiting in New York this weekend to visit Nash as soon as he's ready Sunday, with Toronto widely expected to make the richest financial offer Nash receives this offseason to come back to Canada. The offer is likely to approach $12 million annually, sources say.

I doubt NY can beat this offer.

justinnum1
06-30-2012, 07:23 PM
i would love to see him go to toronto.

aman_13
06-30-2012, 07:47 PM
There is nothing Nash could do now to change my perception of him. He will always be remembered as one of the best pgs to ever play this game. Hoping on Miami or another contender to win a ring would be great for him but not winning one should not change the way we remember Nash's career.

dodie53
06-30-2012, 08:43 PM
no to suns and raps

xxplayerxx23
06-30-2012, 08:53 PM
nash to the raps.12 million a year damn

Roy Rogers
06-30-2012, 09:04 PM
I hope he goes to a contender. Nash is a guy you root for to get a ring.

TrueFan420
06-30-2012, 09:17 PM
Suns offered Nash 2 years 10 million a year. I don't see another team offering him that much. But we will see.

Enter raptors

flatbush knicks
06-30-2012, 09:43 PM
you guys do realize the only reason nash is leaving the suns is because he wants to win right what in these people right mind would make you guys think the raptors are a better situation then the suns if he wants money and to win then he'll go to the mavs if he wants to just win then he'll go to the knicks

justinnum1
06-30-2012, 09:45 PM
you guys do realize the only reason nash is leaving the suns is because he wants to win right what in these people right mind would make you guys think the raptors are a better situation then the suns if he wants money and to win then he'll go to the mavs if he wants to just win then he'll go to the knicks

what team can win right now that can pay him more than 8mil per year?

only one i can think of is mavs or indy.

flatbush knicks
06-30-2012, 09:49 PM
what team can win right now that can pay him more than 8mil per year?

only one i can think of is mavs or indy.

exactly if he really does care about the money then i can see him saying he's interested in the raps at 12 mill a year so that the mavs or pacers will match that offer and dam nash on the pacers would be real scary

JordansBulls
06-30-2012, 11:39 PM
Come to Chicago.

Poolthief
06-30-2012, 11:58 PM

Toronto has another move lined up once the Nash signing is official. They're going to be better than the Knicks next year.