PDA

View Full Version : GM Bryan Colangelo: Raptors Could Amnesty Jose Calderon

KB-Pau-DH2012
06-29-2012, 06:19 PM
http://www.hoopsworld.com/raptors-to-amnesty-calderon-nash-nex

The speculation over just how badly the Toronto Raptors wants to add Steve Nash to the mix should be just about over, with Raptors GM Bryan Colangelo telling the media today that he plans to use the amnesty clause to get point guard Jose Calderon off the books, according to HOOPSWORLD’s Stephen Brotherston. Colangelo indicated that Calderon is a professional, and understands how the business side of the game works, indicating he won’t be a part of the team going forward.

Colangelo also announced that the team will extend qualifying offers to Sonny Weems and Jerryd Bayless, making them restricted free agents, and that the team would decline its option on Solomon Alabi, who is nonetheless expected to play on the team’s summer league iteration.

Colangelo stopped short of mentioning free agent (Canadian) point guard Steve Nash, but it’s clear he is their top free agent target as the NBA prepares for free agency period to commence. The team will also be pursuing a small forward, according to Colangelo. The assumption is that amnestying Calderon is a means to an end. If the Raptors can’t get Nash, Calderon could stay.

dtmagnet
06-29-2012, 06:20 PM
Lots of teams could use Calderon if he does indeed get amnestied, however I think he also could go to Europe to play.

shep33
06-29-2012, 06:22 PM
Lakers need to jump on this

Raps08-09 Champ
06-29-2012, 06:22 PM
I really like Calderon. He just made too much money for my liking.

JerseysFinest
06-29-2012, 06:23 PM
I'd be shocked if he didn't end up on the Lakers.

KB-Pau-DH2012
06-29-2012, 06:23 PM
Lakers need to jump on this

But don't teams with salary cap space get first dibs on bidding for the amnestied player?

dtmagnet
06-29-2012, 06:24 PM
But don't teams with salary cap space get first dibs on bidding for the amnestied player?

Yes thats correct.

John Walls Era
06-29-2012, 06:24 PM
Good. I like Jose, but hes better suited going somewhere else and then Raps can bring Nash in (if he chooses them).

shep33
06-29-2012, 06:25 PM

Ah right right.

KB-Pau-DH2012
06-29-2012, 06:25 PM
Yes thats correct.

Do you know which teams w/ salary cap space would pick up Calderon?

I'd assume PHX if Nash was going to leave them for Toronto?

NYG 2000
06-29-2012, 06:26 PM
He shld go to the bulls for the mle

Stunner
06-29-2012, 06:28 PM
He shld go to the bulls for the mle

No

Rego247
06-29-2012, 06:33 PM
We're not amnestying Jose to make room for Nash. We have enough money to sign him outright.

If the amnesty provision is used it's so the team can absorb another contract, probably a sf.

Tmath
06-29-2012, 06:34 PM
Eric Koreen ‏@ekoreen
Just to clear things up, Colangelo did not say he plans to amnesty Calderon today. Come on, certain NBA website.

Eric Koreen ‏@ekoreen
He said it was a possibility based on events (wink, wink Nash) and he has spoken to Jose's agent to keep him informed..

jon32
06-29-2012, 06:35 PM
Calderon is an expiring why would they not amnesty Amir johnson instead and pair Calderon with Davis or somthin in a trade instead ?

Eg714
06-29-2012, 06:36 PM
Lakers should use the odom tpe to get him.

NYG 2000
06-29-2012, 06:36 PM
Calderon is an expiring why would they not amnesty Amir johnson instead and pair Calderon with Davis or somthin in a trade instead ?

Because having nash for 1 season until he retires is more important

Lmao

KB-Pau-DH2012
06-29-2012, 06:39 PM
Lakers should use the odom tpe to get him.

Lakers will not be using the TPE as it just adds to the payroll. The Lakers are trying to shed the salaries of players like Pau Gasol, Steve Blake, Metta World Peace and Josh McRoberts.

Please understand this. Since December when I joined PSD I've been explaining the same thing over and over and over and over and over and over again.

We are going to let that TPE expire.

StarvingKnick22
06-29-2012, 06:41 PM
SMH raptors making one bad decision after the other. IMO

waveycrockett
06-29-2012, 06:42 PM
If Knicks whiff on Nash they could use this guy

LAKobeBryant
06-29-2012, 06:43 PM
Let's go Calderon being gasol back to his usual playing level

Eg714
06-29-2012, 06:45 PM
Lakers will not be using the TPE as it just adds to the payroll. The Lakers are trying to shed the salaries of players like Pau Gasol, Steve Blake, Metta World Peace and Josh McRoberts.

Please understand this. Since December when I joined PSD I've been explaining the same thing over and over and over and over and over and over again.

We are going to let that TPE expire.

Mitch said that if there's a player that can help the lakers he would use it but impact players usually don't become available. Here's our chance. He's expiring, would be a upgrade over sessions, and would cost just a little over what Ramon would make.

nicegoing
06-29-2012, 06:49 PM
Tell us more, oh wise one.

BHF
06-29-2012, 06:49 PM

how is that a bad decision? have you seen Calderon play he is the worst starting pg in the league

North Yorker
06-29-2012, 06:51 PM
The Raps dont need to amnesty Calderon to sign Nash. They already have ~12M in cap space.

The most likely option imo is that Calderon is involved in a Nash S&T, or in a trade for a SF.

The amnesty would be the last option, and it's definitely not an absolute like the title of this thread suggests.

Eg714
06-29-2012, 06:51 PM
how is that a bad decision? have you seen Calderon play he is the worst starting pg in the league

Steve Blake says hi.

North Yorker
06-29-2012, 06:52 PM

Far from the worst. He had a very solid season last year.

masTOR_shake1
06-29-2012, 06:54 PM

not a chance, he is making far too much $ and his defense is really sub-par. great person and would be a great backup vet pg but this is far from devistating or a bad decision if it happens.

bucketss
06-29-2012, 07:21 PM

dj agustine or walker who ever starts for char
jeremy lin
mario chalmers
jarret jack
isiah thomas
felton
knight
steve blake

heres a few starting pgs calderon is better than

SA5195
06-29-2012, 07:31 PM

How is getting rid of Calderon, to potentially get Nash and increase our cap for another good player a bad decision?

greg_ory_2005
06-29-2012, 07:33 PM
Jose is one of my fav Raptors ever. If they decide to do this, I wish him all the best. :clap:

njnets
06-29-2012, 07:34 PM
calderon as an expiring would be a nice fit for many teams looking for a short term guy.

Hellcrooner
06-29-2012, 07:39 PM
heat
knicks
nets(if deron walks)
Hawks
bulls ( rose injury)
mavs ( if no deron)
Grizz
Lakers
Suns ( if nash walks)
Thunder ( depth)
Spurs(depth)
Nuggets
blazers

on the phone right now.

RealLiveBear
06-29-2012, 07:45 PM
Why he has trade value? Amnesty Amir and trade jose...

llemon
06-29-2012, 07:47 PM

Let's see what Deron does

KB-Pau-DH2012
06-29-2012, 07:50 PM

Why? Amir is worth only 5.5M. Calderon is worth 10M. That 10M will help bring Raps under the cap even more to sign Steve Nash since he'd probably be asking around that price range of 9-10 Mil per over the next 3 yrs.

North Yorker
06-29-2012, 08:02 PM
Why? Amir is worth only 5.5M. Calderon is worth 10M. That 10M will help bring Raps under the cap even more to sign Steve Nash since he'd probably be asking around that price range of 9-10 Mil per over the next 3 yrs.

Raps already have ~12M in cap space. They dont need to amnesty Jose to sign Nash.

I think Calderon goes to Phx in a S&T since his contract would be similar to the one Nash will sign and he would be a great mentor to Marshall.

And if he doesnt go there then I think BC offers a Calderon/DeRozan/Ed Davis type package for Gay or another SF.

Jamiecballer
06-29-2012, 08:18 PM
if Colangelo does this he needs to GTFO

Cal827
06-29-2012, 08:30 PM
if Colangelo does this he needs to GTFO

This. He's already on the edge with that Ross pick IMO when we likely could have traded down, acquired an asset and still grabbed him (Houston picked PFs, I think they would do Davis + 8th for Lowry + 12th lol)

:pity: Use an amnesty on an expiring contract.... Did that work well for the Knicks? Also, how badly has BC ripped on Calderon since he's taken over? lol, I'm surprised he still loves to play for this team due to management, I mean VC freaking got mad after our old management lied to him lol.. ****ing disgrace.

Hopefully, if this is it for him here, he ends up on a contender and wins a title. Wish the guy nothing but the best.

Toxeryll
06-29-2012, 08:33 PM
this doesnt make sense.. raptors already have cap space to sign nash and calderon is an expiring thus a good trade bait

Raps08-09 Champ
06-29-2012, 08:36 PM
Raps already have ~12M in cap space. They dont need to amnesty Jose to sign Nash.

I think Calderon goes to Phx in a S&T since his contract would be similar to the one Nash will sign and he would be a great mentor to Marshall.

And if he doesnt go there then I think BC offers a Calderon/DeRozan/Ed Davis type package for Gay or another SF.

With all the qualifying offers they offered, rookie contracts and the trade exception, they take up the remaining $12 mil they have in cap. A S&T to Calderon is the best option though.

Raps08-09 Champ
06-29-2012, 08:37 PM
This. He's already on the edge with that Ross pick IMO when we likely could have traded down, acquired an asset and still grabbed him (Houston picked PFs, I think they would do Davis + 8th for Lowry + 12th lol)

:pity: Use an amnesty on an expiring contract.... Did that work well for the Knicks? Also, how badly has BC ripped on Calderon since he's taken over? lol, I'm surprised he still loves to play for this team due to management, I mean VC freaking got mad after our old management lied to him lol.. ****ing disgrace.

Hopefully, if this is it for him here, he ends up on a contender and wins a title. Wish the guy nothing but the best.

If they don't, you can't get Nash.

AI4MVP
06-29-2012, 08:38 PM
Contrary to the guy who says Calderon is the worst starting point guard in the league, I think hes one of the most underrated point guards in the league, and he'd be a huge pick up for most NBA teams

StarvingKnick22
06-29-2012, 08:38 PM
how is that a bad decision? have you seen Calderon play he is the worst starting pg in the league id take him. have you ever heard of Devin Harris? JNelson? please, man

BHF
06-29-2012, 08:41 PM
dj agustine or walker who ever starts for char
jeremy lin
mario chalmers
jarret jack
isiah thomas
felton
knight
steve blake

heres a few starting pgs calderon is better than

NO lol not even close all of them are better than Calderon

Monta is beast
06-29-2012, 08:47 PM
I hope the Warriors show interest. He would be a great backup Point Guard. Then we can flip Dorell Wright for Dejuan Blair.

PG: Curry-Calderdon-Jenkins
SG: Thompson-Rush
SF: Barnes-Jefferson-Green
PF: Lee-Blair-Tyler
C: Bogut-Ezeli-Biedrins

KB-Pau-DH2012
06-29-2012, 08:51 PM
this doesnt make sense.. raptors already have cap space to sign nash and calderon is an expiring thus a good trade bait

He is not an expiring. He makes $9.8 in 2012-2013 and $10.5 in 2013-2014.

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/toronto.htm

Cal827
06-29-2012, 08:53 PM

Lol, I think you misread that... 2011-2012 was the 9.8. :p

bucketss
06-29-2012, 08:53 PM

according to your link in 2013-2014 his salary will be 0$

North Yorker
06-29-2012, 08:54 PM

Look again. He's an expiring.

Edit: I guess my post has become redundant lol

BALLER R
06-29-2012, 09:08 PM

clearly you know nothing about ball.

Eagles710
06-29-2012, 09:16 PM
Lmao Why is Nash Going to the Raptors? He actually has a Better team with the suns, and crazy as that sounds lol

BALLER R
06-29-2012, 09:19 PM
So we're putting all our eggs in one basket. What happens if Nash doesn't come here. No one seems to talk about that. Whats plan B.

Raps08-09 Champ
06-29-2012, 09:22 PM
So we're putting all our eggs in one basket. What happens if Nash doesn't come here. No one seems to talk about that. Whats plan B.

BC said that he'll only amnesty Calderon once Nash agrees to come here. If he doesn't, he won't amnesty Calderon.

mike_noodles
06-29-2012, 09:29 PM
I really like Calderon. He just made too much money for my liking.

Exactly, if he made $4m - $6m per, then you could justify him coming off the bench. And he's the best backup PG in the league.

UPRock
06-29-2012, 09:38 PM
So if the Raptors are looking for a SF, what's going to happen to Derozan?

dalton749
06-29-2012, 09:42 PM
derozan calderon ed davis should be a trade package for our elite 3 a la iggy or gay

JasonJohnHorn
06-29-2012, 09:53 PM
Leave to Colangelo to amnesty a player he could easily trade for picks. The Lakers have a trade exception and would likely love to have Jose on their team. Instead of looking at options for a trade Colangelo is going to pay a talented player not to play. SMMFH!!!!
FIRE THIS MORON!!!!!!!!

North Yorker
06-29-2012, 10:09 PM
So if the Raptors are looking for a SF, what's going to happen to Derozan?

Traded, most likely.

derozan calderon ed davis should be a trade package for our elite 3 a la iggy or gay
Agreed.

Leave to Colangelo to amnesty a player he could easily trade for picks. The Lakers have a trade exception and would likely love to have Jose on their team. Instead of looking at options for a trade Colangelo is going to pay a talented player not to play. SMMFH!!!!
FIRE THIS MORON!!!!!!!!

Lakers TPE not big enough for Jose's contract.

cdnsportsfan
06-29-2012, 10:13 PM
@ekoreen tweets were posted earlier in this thread, he's a sports reporter for The National Post (national newspaper based out of Toronto). He was there at that press conference and said Colangelo simply said it could be explored, not that it is happening. He's a legitimate source, that deserves to be paid attention to more. People are just reacting to the incorrect thread title.

Now, like it or not BC wants to add an experienced PG (seemingly Nash or Lowry if he could make a deal), and an experienced SF (talk has been Gay or Iggy so far). He wants experience to some of the youth, which includes DeRozan, Ed Davis, Amir Johnson, and next yr Valanciunas and now Ross.

Nash is top of his list of players to get for a number of reasons so he's going to try and land him, doesn't mean he'll go the amnesty route first though. He's going to do everything he can to make it happen but it is NOT a guarantee that Jose will get the amnesty.

clutchski
06-29-2012, 10:14 PM
Contrary to the guy who says Calderon is the worst starting point guard in the league, I think hes one of the most underrated point guards in the league, and he'd be a huge pick up for most NBA teams

Watching him for years, he has a very reliable pull up jumper and an extremely high BBall IQ. Excellent passing. Great FT%. His biggest (and most evident) knock on him is his defence.

He has a lot of problems guarding quick and skilled PGs. The majority of time that's the type of player he's up against as a starter.

clutchski
06-29-2012, 10:17 PM
FIRE THIS MORON!!!!!!!!

Dude really? You talk like you know the ins and outs of the situation. GMs are obviously going the try and get the most out of a player..if BC (and his staff around him) feel the best/only option is to amnesty then so be it. It's not like they haven't explored trade options first.

Ebbs
06-29-2012, 10:24 PM
raptors amnesty calderon I may never feel sorry for them again

akesh99
06-29-2012, 10:52 PM
I feel like the only reason Calderon may be amnestied is because BC is gonna sign Batum to an offer sheet. 12M in cap space plus 10 from Calderon amnesty= Nash @10M per year + Batum @8-10M.

Blitzbolt
06-29-2012, 10:57 PM
Lakers.......Seriously laker fans are on drugs according to them they will sign Mayo.Nelson,Calderon,D12 and Iggy.

lilchuckdoubles
06-29-2012, 11:16 PM
question to laker fans.

Reading some of these posts it seem like you guy really like calderon and hope to get him on your team so my question is if the wolves got him via trade for something like webster(would give them cap relief and a sf whose already got some experience in the league) would this help us get pau?

dalton749
06-29-2012, 11:43 PM
your not getting calderon for anything moderately close to webster
the only upgrade toronto gets there is in their singing ability

FriedTofuz
06-29-2012, 11:43 PM

yup.

THAT MAKES A LOT MORE SENSE. no matter how much hustle amir johnson plays with, hes not worth his money.
jose is an expiring which is perfect to trade to a team for a good player with a bit of an overpriced contract.

you're funny. calderon is at last a top 15 pg.

lilchuckdoubles
06-29-2012, 11:52 PM
your not getting calderon for anything moderately close to webster
the only upgrade toronto gets there is in their singing ability

well what upgrade do they get in using the amnesty on him? why not get a player back, besides I seen somewhere in the toronto forum that they needed a sf.

KingPosey
06-29-2012, 11:59 PM
Weird move. I think Calderon is a pretty solid player.
Teams need passing PGs, I wonder why they cant trade him.

Jays Claw
06-30-2012, 12:01 AM
It wouldn't make much sense to amnesty Calderon with Nash still not a lock for the Raps. If Nash does sign in Toronto, then they can consider it (but it'd be smarter to trade him in a package for an established winger).

dalton749
06-30-2012, 12:06 AM
well what upgrade do they get in using the amnesty on him? why not get a player back, besides I seen somewhere in the toronto forum that they needed a sf.

they need a GOOD small forward. we have 2 quality backups no need for more

Glenfidish
06-30-2012, 12:38 AM
dude really? You talk like you know the ins and outs of the situation. Gms are obviously going the try and get the most out of a player..if bc (and his staff around him) feel the best/only option is to amnesty then so be it. It's not like they haven't explored trade options first.

+1

Glenfidish
06-30-2012, 12:41 AM
yup.

THAT MAKES A LOT MORE SENSE. no matter how much hustle amir johnson plays with, hes not worth his money.
jose is an expiring which is perfect to trade to a team for a good player with a bit of an overpriced contract.

you're funny. calderon is at last a top 15 pg.

First Amir is a young and important piece of the puzzle moving forward for us. Second buying out amir with amnesty is more costly then jose route. Do you forget that amir has several years left?

lilchuckdoubles
06-30-2012, 12:45 AM
they need a GOOD small forward. we have 2 quality backups no need for more

lol fair enough:D

Mr.B
06-30-2012, 02:03 AM

If the Mavs do not get Deron Williams they will have a TON of cap space and could definitely use Calderon.

ink
06-30-2012, 02:41 AM
I'd be shocked if he didn't end up on the Lakers.

I can't see a possible fit between Kobe and Jose. The weirdest odd couple in NBA history if it happens.