PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on the Wizards?

papipapsmanny
06-29-2012, 01:40 AM
Ok I am a Wiz fan and every 4 months or so I make a Wiz thread in here because its the only place where I can actually get some other people's input on the team (an unbiased for the most part)

So I am asking everyone for a couple of honest responses, what do you all think of the Wizards chances of making the playoffs next season

They will have a lineup (Im assuming) of

Wall
Beal
Ariza
Nene
Okefor

With Mack, Crawford, Singleton, Booker, Seraphin, and Vesely on the bench.

Seems pretty solid to me I feel like they could top out as a 6th seed next season.... maybe 5 if Wall and their young players really make a jump in development.

What do you all think?

*Silver&Black*
06-29-2012, 01:42 AM
Heat still in the SE division, Hawks core is still together (for now), Dwight is still in the division (for now), so it will be hard THIS SEASON to hand them a pre-season playoff spot.

papipapsmanny
06-29-2012, 01:46 AM
Heat still in the SE division, Hawks core is still together (for now), Dwight is still in the division (for now), so it will be hard THIS SEASON to hand them a pre-season playoff spot.

very understandable especially since its the Wizards with their track record. Really the only think for them to do now is amnesty Blatche

But year for now it could be tough, but if the Hawks and Magic blow things up there will be a major opportunity for them

SugeKnight
06-29-2012, 01:48 AM
I don't think their focus should have been on making the playoffs this year, but that clearly is their intention after the Lewis trade. They shoulda just taken their lumps for one or two more seasons and stack talent.

It would have helped if they didn't draft vesely last year too

*Silver&Black*
06-29-2012, 01:49 AM
Believe me, I want you all to to rise in the standings (that would mean the Hawks finally decided to rebuild), but until then, Hawks are stuck with the same 3rd-5th seed Hawks that will be out of the playoffs in the 2nd round.

I like the Wiz's group though. Wall and Beal should be fun to watch.

bholly
06-29-2012, 02:10 AM
I think they've done a really good job of putting together a team to make a run for a playoff spot next season. Barring injuries, I'd give them a good chance of getting a low seed.
I also think they've done a pretty average job of looking towards the future, though. 30 year old bigs and capped out for the next two years is not a good way to rebuild.

Cal827
06-29-2012, 02:12 AM
They'll be fighting for the 7/8 spot this year.

LTBaByyy
06-29-2012, 02:13 AM
Wall- Slasher/Distributor
Beal- Shooter
Ariza- Defense
Nene- Scorer
Okafor- Defense

Prefect playing styles for a successful team in the NBA

VCaintdead17
06-29-2012, 02:16 AM
Wall- Slasher/Distributor
Beal- Shooter
Ariza- Defense
Nene- Scorer
Okafor- Defense

Prefect playing styles for a successful team in the NBA

Lol Ariza playing defense. And Nene played better D than Okafor this season,

AI4MVP
06-29-2012, 02:20 AM
I think they could potentially be very good

Catfish1314
06-29-2012, 02:21 AM
Wall has to take a huge step forward and Beal needs a ROY caliber season for them to be in the playoff hunt IMO. Both of those are possible though.

MadBomber
06-29-2012, 02:28 AM
This squad should be fun to watch, definitely huge upgrade from last year.

GREATNESS ONE
06-29-2012, 03:00 AM
Have a legit shot at a lower playoff spot.

Shareeb_omac2
06-29-2012, 03:08 AM
They'll be fighting for the 7/8 spot this year.

loublue22
06-29-2012, 03:12 AM
Wall should play Summer League with Beal, Serpahin and Vesely. But he probably won't.

IIISSKiLL
06-29-2012, 03:22 AM
Well it looks like Howard, Nelson, Turk are out of Orlando this season.. and the Celtics aren't going to be as good as last year, and the Bulls are without Rose for a while so I wouldn't put it past the Wizard's to make the playoffs this season

waveycrockett
06-29-2012, 03:23 AM
This is John Wall's year to put up or shut up. The Wiz will go as far he takes them. No more excuses.

Sinestro
06-29-2012, 03:24 AM
Should get the 8th playoff spot with that lineup

b@llhog24
06-29-2012, 03:42 AM
This is John Wall's year to put up or shut up. The Wiz will go as far he takes them. No more excuses.

No it isn't, he's only 21 man.

b@llhog24
06-29-2012, 03:44 AM
Pending on Walls progression (he could very well breakout in the upcoming), and Beal's performance they could be anywhere from a 6-9 seed without putting too much thought into.

KnicksPain
06-29-2012, 04:31 AM
Im very interested to see how this works out, the talent to get a playoff spot is definitely there, but chemistry is a question especially with Emeka and Nene. Then that back court, as talented as it is, is very young.

If things go right they can not only be a playoff team but pretty entertaining. This is when we can begin to see how good John Wall really is. I think he will show and prove.

Monta is beast
06-29-2012, 05:45 AM
Damn it. You guys messed it up!

The Wizards will be fighting for the 7th or 8th seed next season.

thenaj17
06-29-2012, 06:08 AM
Agree with most here 7/8th seed a possibility. I'm not sure i see it happening with current rosters though as Wiz bench is very weak. Starting 5 is a nice combo though, just not enough to carry those reserves.

verdell1978
06-29-2012, 06:46 AM
Unless Nene suddenly decides to be more assertive, this team will go as far as Beal develops. I love adding Ariza and Okafor. Wjth those two you get defense, professionalism, no off the court problems and guys that dont need the ball. With Nene you get a 15ppg 7 rpg guy that can IMO (and like Doug Collins has said repeatedly) can and should be a 20ppg and 10 rpg guy if he was just a little more aggresive and demanding of the ball.(Hopefully he does that this year) John Wall a great young PG with great upside. So if Beal can give them consistent outside shooting then the Wizards can be a sleeper in about a year. They should definitely improve anywhere from 30 to 40 wins and another great thing is THAT THEY ARE YOUNG

Wall 21 years old
Beal 19 years old
Okafor 29 years old
Ariza 26 years old
Nene 29 years old

Nice young team that should be much improved this year

king4day
06-29-2012, 07:26 AM
Wall now has the pieces to progress (shooter, post presence, cleanup man). I'd expect him to grow now and would be surprised if he doesn't lead the wiz to the playoffs.
I also think they should bring Blatche off the bench and try to build his value up.

Badluck33
06-29-2012, 07:31 AM
I think they make playoffs this year.

97NYer
06-29-2012, 08:04 AM
Lol Ariza playing defense. And Nene played better D than Okafor this season,

Ariza's one of the best defenders in the league

USAF_AMMO
06-29-2012, 08:38 AM
Well it looks like Howard, Nelson, Turk are out of Orlando this season.. and the Celtics aren't going to be as good as last year, and the Bulls are without Rose for a while so I wouldn't put it past the Wizard's to make the playoffs this season

The Celtics and Bulls may not be as good next year, but I think both will still be better than the Wizards.

That being said, I like what the Wizards have done so far. They are building a real team with players who compliment eachother. That team at the start of last year was dreadful to watch. The fact that they have been able to change around their culture so quickly (and improve in the process) is great for them.

kbaxter34
06-29-2012, 09:04 AM
I don't think their focus should have been on making the playoffs this year, but that clearly is their intention after the Lewis trade. They shoulda just taken their lumps for one or two more seasons and stack talent.

It would have helped if they didn't draft vesely last year too

If they took there lumps for two more seasons, Wall would be a free agent and there would be 0% chance he stays in DC. By adding some pieces you help to progress his game and if they can make the playoffs he is more likely to stay in DC then if the Wiz continued to be bottom dwellers in the east. Even with Okafor and Nene they are still one of the younger teams in the league.

nate2usmc
06-29-2012, 09:13 AM
Wizards have an exciting team to watch. Will make playoffs this year.

StarvingKnick22
06-29-2012, 09:19 AM
potentially good

ATX
06-29-2012, 09:29 AM
I really like what the Wizards have been up to. Beal was a great addition, and the Ariza/Okafor trade was a big win for them. Potential lethal backcourt, with a stong front court to boot. They are clearly on the upswing.

YeaDat
06-29-2012, 09:29 AM
They will be fighting for the lower 2 playoff spots. I still think they need another vet or two coming off that bench. Believe it or not wall had pretty good year. I know cause he torched me in my fantasy league every time i played him lol.

Jetsguy
06-29-2012, 09:50 AM
Problem for me is they have a running PG in Wall and a bunch of half court players. I dont think the team is constructed as well as it could be.

They will be better than last year but not a playoff team IMO

TrAv=MaGiCfReAk
06-29-2012, 10:08 AM
I think there gonna be good and fun to watch very fun to watch I was happy to see them get beali loved beal being a florida boy and all lol deff could see them taking a 8th spot

thenaj17
06-29-2012, 10:12 AM
Ariza's one of the best defenders in the league

Woah! Go steady...Ariza is above average but not top 10

stuckyfreshhh
06-29-2012, 10:17 AM
Woah! Go steady...Ariza is above average but not top 10

name ten better...

b@llhog24
06-29-2012, 10:24 AM
name ten better...

Bron
Iggy
Allen
Bradley
Artest
Deng
Brewer
Marion
Shumpert
McGuire

and that's just perimeter based defenders.

thenaj17
06-29-2012, 10:29 AM
name ten better...

All positions or just wing? I'll do it ignoring bigs as that would be too easy

LeBron James
Metta World Peace
Thabo Sefolosha
Tony Allen
Kevin Durant
Rajon Rondo
Andre Iguodala
Luol Deng
Kobe Bryant
Shane Battier
Dwayne Wade
Gerald Wallace
Arron Afflalo
Luc Mbah a Moute
Shawn Marion

There's 15 for you

Oh and Marion who i forgot - thanks Ballhog!

Dade County
06-29-2012, 11:03 AM
I think the Wizards are going to have very good games against teams like the pacers, 76ers and the hawks.

I look forward to these match ups, because I think Wall will be the key to defeat those teams.

If the Wizards can sign some athletic free agents, that can help Wall out.

Dade County
06-29-2012, 11:19 AM
Double post

papipapsmanny
06-29-2012, 11:19 AM
As a Wiz fan I can understand what they are doing. Trying to put themselves on the map the next two years and keep Wall, and when Okefor and Ariza come off the books maybe they look more attractive to FAs, and still have a nice core of young players

Dade County
06-29-2012, 12:28 PM
As a Wiz fan I can understand what they are doing. Trying to put themselves on the map the next two years and keep Wall, and when Okefor and Ariza come off the books maybe they look more attractive to FAs, and still have a nice core of young players

But why does it take Wall contact ending for them to make moves.... I really don't like when front offices do that.

Hawkeye15
06-29-2012, 12:43 PM
it all starts with Wall. He must take a step in the right direction, leadership wise, if that team will be any good.

You also have maybe the worst coach I can think of. Get rid of him.

nicegoing
06-29-2012, 12:49 PM
Heat
Bulls
Celtics
Knicks
Pacers

Those teams should be locks to make playoffs

Magic
Hawks

Should make it, but are question marks because of them shopping star players

76ers
Pistons
Wizards

Are fringe playoff teams

So yes maybe lol

xxplayerxx23
06-29-2012, 12:49 PM
I dont know man. Depends on how beal turns out. They need him to score big. I think they will be fighting for the 8 seed

Ezio
06-29-2012, 12:56 PM
Heat, Indy, Boston, Magic (Pending), Hawks, Bulls, NY, Cavs/Bucks/Wiz/Nets(Pending)

yeah...

LakersIn5
06-29-2012, 01:03 PM
that team is nice. the wizards is my new team in nba 2k12 since the ariza trade and ive been beating my friends. 4-1 record. double digit wins vs. knicks,heat,bulls,celtics and a 3 point loss vs. the thunder. i know i know its only ps3 but its still nice. lol. even without beal. shelvin mack is a beast from downtown :p

waveycrockett
06-29-2012, 02:55 PM
No it isn't, he's only 21 man.

No more excuses for the kid. 21 isn't young in this year. Look at all Rose, Westbrook, Rubio, Durant accomplished at 21. He was put in that category when he got drafted. All the idiots on his team are gone.

Hoopin&Swoopin
06-29-2012, 03:05 PM
No more excuses for the kid. 21 isn't young in this year. Look at all Rose, Westbrook, Rubio, Durant accomplished at 21. He was put in that category when he got drafted. All the idiots on his team are gone.

I think those guys are all exceptions rather than the norm. Wall is really still just a kid and I still think he has a bright future ahead of him. You can't teach speed and athleticism and he is clearly elite in those categories.

Even if he doesn't get it done this year there is no way anybody should give up on him.

Jint.
06-29-2012, 03:13 PM
much more of a vet team now, should fight for a playoff spot

Carey
06-29-2012, 03:18 PM
I think they'll compete for a 7th or 8th seed, wouldnt be suprised to see them 9th or 10th. I personally feel like they rushed their development and it could leave them stuck as mediocre team but time will tell.

Ty Fast
06-29-2012, 04:41 PM
never should have traded for nene. bad contact. wall's a stud tho.

b@llhog24
06-30-2012, 11:48 AM

Wall was placed in the category of these elite talents because he is an elite talent. Rose, Westbrook, & Durant never had to play the 2nd season in a lockout year without a training camp and hardly any practices. The fact that Wall essentially got better in his second year in spite of all the circumstances is a testament to his ability not a knock. Also, rose came on a team that had Ben Gordon, Kirk Hinrich, Noah and Deng, Durant's rookie season wasn't nothing special and he got drafted with Jeff Green and only really took the leap when Westbrook and Harden (to a lesser extent) was drafted. Rubio is playing with KEVIN ****ING LOVE for Christ's sake.

IndyRealist
06-30-2012, 12:00 PM
Borderline playoff team. I worry about having both Nene and Okafor starting. They're both going to clog the paint and with a slash-first PG he needs the driving lanes to be spaced out better. Beal is a good start to that but Ariza cannot knock down the 3. Throw the a 2yr, MLE sized deal at Novak?

ManRam
06-30-2012, 12:02 PM
My thoughts: they got the swaggiest backcourt in the NBA.

I think the Lewis trade helps them a lot on the court. I wouldn't be stunned if they made a push for the playoffs.

I think Wall now has some pieces around him that will allow him to thrive. He'll be the x-factor. It's his time to step it up, and I think he can. He's never been surrounded with this many viable weapons. No more excuses (though, I think some were very valid).

nicegoing
06-30-2012, 12:03 PM
My thoughts: they got the swaggiest backcourt in the NBA.

I think the Lewis trade helps them a lot on the court. I wouldn't be stunned if they made a push for the playoffs.

I think Wall now has some pieces around him that will allow him to thrive. He'll be the x-factor.
Even with Swaggy P gone?