PDA

View Full Version : Expand the draft?

mark1125
06-28-2012, 07:25 AM
Way back when, the NBA draft was 7 rounds (I think). For reasons that I am too lazy to research, it was trimmed down to 2. At the end of every draft, I am normally shocked at some useful players that don't get picked. Obviously, the odds of finding an all-star that is undrafted is rare, but I would imagine there are solid role players that could be had.

Would you like to see the draft expanded? If so, how many rounds do you feel would be right? If not, why not?

DenButsu
06-28-2012, 07:29 AM
No need. Too many drafted players already don't make it anyhow, and teams can still sign undrafted players.

bholly
06-28-2012, 07:36 AM
Yeah, the reason there are less rounds is that it allows the undrafted guys to try out for any team, and maximizes their chances of finding a spot. That's better than having 200 guys in exclusive relationships with a single team where they might have a much worse shot of having success. Less rounds means a greater chance of the best players ending up in favourable situations. That's a good thing.

The point of the draft system is to prevent the best players all just going straight to the same teams every year. There's no reason you'd need that beyond the first two rounds - guys after that are rarely game changers, and they usually just go wherever they can get a gig.

CB29
06-28-2012, 07:40 AM
Most of the second round guys don't make the main roster so yeah not much sense expanding it. It's essential in hockey but if you only need 12-15 players then 2 rounds is more than sufficient.

GrumpyOldMan
06-28-2012, 07:46 AM
The only way expanding the draft would make sense is if each NBA team had a minor league team to develop players in like hockey has. I kind of like the freedom undrafted players have to sign anywhere there is a fit for them. Therefore I would like it to stay as it is.

StarvingKnick22
06-28-2012, 09:54 AM
3 rounds would be good. their are too many players who dont get a chance to play and every team should be allowed to hve 18 players. and they should raise the cap

aussie
06-28-2012, 10:00 AM

Bob_at_york
06-28-2012, 10:03 AM
nobody wants to waste roster spots on 3rd and 4th round picks.

nicegoing
06-28-2012, 10:14 AM
Way back when, the NBA draft was 7 rounds (I think). For reasons that I am too lazy to research, it was trimmed down to 2. At the end of every draft, I am normally shocked at some useful players that don't get picked. Obviously, the odds of finding an all-star that is undrafted is rare, but I would imagine there are solid role players that could be had.

Would you like to see the draft expanded? If so, how many rounds do you feel would be right? If not, why not?
I think there were less teams then.

JWO35
06-28-2012, 10:32 AM
I wouldn't be against expanding the draft to 4 or 5 rounds if the NBA did one of the two things
1. Expand the NBA Roster to 20(15 active)
2. Have a legitimate minor league(D-League) system like every team has an individual team.

NYKalltheway
06-28-2012, 10:49 AM
it should be just 1 round really... 2nd rounders get cut very often, let teams just try them out and sign them as free agents

MBRaptorsfan
06-28-2012, 11:01 AM
The only way expanding the draft would make sense is if each NBA team had a minor league team to develop players in like hockey has. I kind of like the freedom undrafted players have to sign anywhere there is a fit for them. Therefore I would like it to stay as it is.

I agree, the only reason to expand it is if a minor league system was in place, something much better then the d-league.

Swashcuff
06-28-2012, 11:06 AM
I wouldn't be against expanding the draft to 4 or 5 rounds if the NBA did one of the two things
2. Have a legitimate minor league(D-League) system like every team has an individual team.

I'd really love for them to establish this. IMO it would only improve the NBA game if ran correctly.

scaramantula
06-28-2012, 11:13 AM
I'd really love for them to establish this. IMO it would only improve the NBA game if ran correctly.

yeah an nba minor league would be awesome, canada might be able to have more than one team lol,

but i dont think they dhould get more than 3 rounds in the draft, one extra would be enough.

Tmath
06-28-2012, 11:22 AM
No, The NBA doesn't do a good enough job at developing players.

JerseyPalahniuk
06-28-2012, 11:30 AM

The Nets and either the Thunder or Lakers are the only team to have a minor league affiliation. Haha another perk of having a rich owner - we bought the "Springfield Armor" last year and it worked out this year with our horrible run of injuries - 5 were actually called up. Gerald Green we picked up from LA's team and he became a gem in retrospect. More teams should start doing this to develop talent/demote rookies/players coming back from injury for a bit to get them back in shape. The Armor actually use the same playbooks as the Nets so the players are somewhat familiar with the system as soon as they come onto the team. A great move for rebuilding teams and any team in general for the last few roster spots.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
06-28-2012, 12:25 PM
no way.

3rd round would be maximum, no more

DenButsu
06-28-2012, 12:52 PM
JP, pretty sure just about every NBA team has a D-League team they can send players to and bring back up from. It may not be their "own" team, but they can still send guys down. I know the Nuggets lost their D-L team a couple years ago, but they still sent down Julyan Stone and Jordan Hamilton last season (to the Idaho Stampede, iirc).

Or in other words, there basically is a minor league in place, even if there's not a direct main team/farm team correlate for every franchise.

I watched Henry Abbot's interview with David Thorpe about the draft earlier today. Thorpe said a few years back he and Chad Ford went through many years of drafts trying to figure out how many players per draft actually make it and have some extended success in the NBA. They found that on average it was about 15 players per draft.

15 out of 60. One quarter. This is not a well that needs to be dug any deeper. And besides, the teams that want to dig deeper are already free to do so and sign undrafted players, so I really don't see what the benefit could possibly be.

Hellcrooner
06-28-2012, 12:59 PM
i would only do this if the league did what it happens in the rest of the world.

VERTICAL DIVISIONS with Relegation and Promotion.

JasonJohnHorn
06-28-2012, 01:19 PM
I like the draft being two rounds. Any longer than that and it's just useless. If you look at the draft boards from the seasons where they had more rounds, 90% of the guys never even stepped foot on the floor. Yes, there is usually some good players that don't get drafted. Udonis Haslem and Ben Wallace are both good examples. But the beauty of only having two rounds is that any team can pick up a player who wasn't drafted, so if you have a good scouting team you can potentially get good player without having a pick. As it stands right now there are more players entering the draft each year than there are players retiring, so even with two rounds some of the players drafted will not even make an NBA roster.

AntiG
06-28-2012, 04:23 PM
it would only work if teams had expanded rosters, something like 18 man rosters, with 3-5 "swing" roster spots that they could move up and down between the NBA and NBDL without having to waive the players as long as they have less than 4 years worth of NBA experience.