PDA

View Full Version : Grizzlies Reportedly Offering Zach Randolph for Pau Gasol

STL Don
06-28-2012, 01:36 AM
NBA Trade Rumors: Grizzlies Reportedly Offering Zach Randolph for Pau Gasol

In one of the juiciest offseason rumors to emerge thus far, the Memphis Grizzlies have reportedly offered to trade Zach Randolph and another piece to the Los Angeles Lakers for Pau Gasol, according to Peter Vecsey of the

This is a fascinating development on many fronts.

First of all, two playoff teams don't just swap All-Star power forwards every day. This would send seismic shock waves throughout the Western Conference, as the Lakers are a perennial title contender, while the Grizzlies have been a scary dark-horse contender each of the last two seasons.

Both clearly needed some retooling after early playoff exits, but a potential trade of this magnitude—particularly on the Grizzlies' end—was highly unexpected.

Randolph has had plenty of off-court issues in the past, but he was an unstoppable force in the 2011 playoffs, when he averaged 22.2 points and 10.8 rebounds per game. He suffered a torn knee ligament that hindered him this past season, but at just 30 years of age, he likely has years of productive basketball ahead of him.

Gasol has been equally valuable in Los Angeles, helping lead the Lakers to consecutive titles in 2008-09 and 2009-10. Although he has become a scapegoat for their recent troubles, Gasol has averaged at least 17.4 points and 9.6 rebounds per game in all four of his seasons with the Lakers.

If this deal goes through, Gasol would return to his former team and play alongside his brother, Marc, while Randolph would form a menacing frontcourt duo in L.A. with Andrew Bynum.

Nothing has been made official yet, but we will have all the latest updates for you when they become available.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1239244-nba-trade-rumors-grizzlies-reportedly-offering-zach-randolph-for-pau-gasol

I'll pretty much crap my pants. I hope Mitch does not hesitate.

NoahH
06-28-2012, 01:37 AM
Hmmmm.... IDK what to say about this one. I mean Randolph is coming off injury and Gasol going back to Memphis? Damn

Raps08-09 Champ
06-28-2012, 01:38 AM
dey wat?

boat teams win.

Hellcrooner
06-28-2012, 01:38 AM
doubt lakers accept.

Maybe if they make it a three way that sends Zbo to hell and someting good to lakers it would be intriguing.

Of course id be happy to have both gasols on a team. then trade Ballhogay for Igoudala and its a great team.

gatkins11
06-28-2012, 01:39 AM
Two words:

Bleacher Report

NoahH
Two words:

Bleacher Report

Its not very reliable.. haha

Vinny642
Lakers should be happy to get a younger Zach, especially because he is a better (and younger) PF in the playoffs

KB-Pau-DH2012
06-28-2012, 01:41 AM
Bleacher report.....and Peter Vescey.

Um yea, close thread.

raiderposting
06-28-2012, 01:42 AM
from my prospective gasol doesn't even want to be in LA anymore after all this drama, if he could of picked one team, i think it will be this one. How fun would it be to be starting along side your bro? Gasol/Gasol/Gay/Mayo/Conley is pretty dangerous if they can sign a couple players too.

*Silver&Black*
06-28-2012, 01:45 AM
Great trade for both teams. Randolph could be great for the Lakers. (:)) Maybe if Lakers throw in a 1st it could be fair.

*Silver&Black*
06-28-2012, 01:46 AM
Bleacher report.....and Peter Vescey.

Um yea, close thread.

Rumors are Rumors, even if they are started by a writer (right LA Times?). I say keep it open.

rickshaw
06-28-2012, 01:51 AM
Kobe Zbo and Bynum. That would blow up fast.

shep33
06-28-2012, 01:53 AM
I will guarantee that the Lakers say no. ZBo is coming off of injury and is still owed $51 mill.

STL Don
06-28-2012, 01:55 AM
Maybe Bleacher report isn't all that reliable most the time but this could very easily be a real possibility.

It makes a lot of sense for both teams who are each in need of a roster shakeup.
Zach Randolph has a very aggressive old school style who plays the boards relentless. He will not let the presence of Andrew Bynum effect his game. He just like Gasol, can open up his mid-range game when needed as well.
Pau would get the chance to return to a city that has much love for him and also a chance to play with his brother which would form a very nice duo upfront for the Grizz. I can see them both taking the game seriously and play at a very competitive level.
LA is also seeking a move up into the 1st round which could also represent the other piece that could be in the deal.

This could also help LA more in finding a trade partner for MWP in acquiring the pick which they could use possibly to move up even higher.

soundjunkies2
06-28-2012, 01:56 AM
No thanks.

He's still owed a bunch of money and is about the same age as Pau. I don't see any reason why the Lakers would be interested in this.

jsthornton7
06-28-2012, 01:57 AM
I'd take randolph and conley for pau and blake.

Vinny642
06-28-2012, 01:57 AM
I will guarantee that the Lakers say no. ZBo is coming off of injury and is still owed $51 mill.

Ohhh wow I didn't know Mitch Kupchak was here... HIII!! ^_^

Antipod
06-28-2012, 01:58 AM
Memphis already dumping ZBO? Damn, they forget so fast x/

shep33
06-28-2012, 01:59 AM
Again, doesn't make sense. Weren't people here complaining about Pau Gasol's age? What if I told you that Pau is almost exactly only 1 year older than Zbo?

Zbo is coming off of knee surgery, is owed more money... How on earth does this make sense for the Lakers?

KB-Pau-DH2012
06-28-2012, 01:59 AM
Ohhh wow I didn't know Mitch Kupchak was here... HIII!! ^_^

I don't know if you're just joking around or being sarcastic. If you're trying to show up shep, well, I advise you think again. There's nothing wrong with what he said. He's 100% spot on. We're trying to shed salaries and trying not to get too hurt by the repeater tax that begins in 2013-2014.

Hype
06-28-2012, 02:00 AM
Love it for both teams, and who cares how much the Lakers are taking back in salary? They owe Memphis.

Vinny642
06-28-2012, 02:00 AM
Again, doesn't make sense. Weren't people here complaining about Pau Gasol's age? What if I told you that Pau is almost exactly only 1 year older than Zbo?

Zbo is coming off of knee surgery, is owed more money... How on earth does this make sense for the Lakers?

He is a better playoff performer, he is younger, tougher, and you guys need a switchup

Vinny642
06-28-2012, 02:01 AM
I don't know if you're just joking around or being sarcastic. If you're trying to show up shep, well, I advise you think again. There's nothing wrong with what he said. He's 100% spot on. We're trying to shed salaries and trying not to get too hurt by the repeater tax that begins in 2013-2014.

Aww how cute

Baller1
06-28-2012, 02:01 AM
Wow, crazy.

Eg714
06-28-2012, 02:02 AM
0% this happens. Mitch will get something better.

b@llhog24
06-28-2012, 02:03 AM
Lateral move at best for each team.

IgglesFanInCO
06-28-2012, 02:03 AM
ZBO and Bynum would be the most physically overpowering frontcourt in the game, and the Gasol brothers playing together would be cool, depending on the other piece memphis throws in this could be good for both teams

Vinny642
06-28-2012, 02:05 AM
People are kind of overrating Gasol's value

KB-Pau-DH2012
06-28-2012, 02:05 AM
Aww how cute

Hey, veto fan, just worry about your team and be happy with Gordon, the great legendary Aminu and Unibrow Fat Tony.

Vinny642
06-28-2012, 02:06 AM
Hey, veto fan, just worry about your team and be happy with Gordon, the great legendary Aminu and Unibrow Fat Tony.

http://stat.mobli.com/media_stills/media_6798671.jpg

shep33
06-28-2012, 02:08 AM
He is a better playoff performer, he is younger, tougher, and you guys need a switchup

Better playoff performer?

Last time I checked Pau has 2 championships, and his playoff stats are superior.

The only thing Zbo has ever done better in the playoffs is outrebound Pau by +0.2, and shoot a higher clip from the line.

Pau's also played in 101 playoff games to Zbo's 28.

AsfanSince99
06-28-2012, 02:09 AM
Too bad this trade has no merit since it came from bleacher report, otherwise if I'm the Lakers, I'd do this trade. Memhis is also making out uniting the 2 Gasol bros.

KB-Pau-DH2012
06-28-2012, 02:10 AM
http://stat.mobli.com/media_stills/media_6798671.jpg

Yes, because Laker fans wouldn't be going crazy right now of if Pau was going to be dealt tomorrow and we'd be the ones just coming off of our 17th championship parade.

#veto-for-basketball-reasons-system

#ill-buy-the-team-if-ya-rig-the-lottery-system

Vinny642
06-28-2012, 02:10 AM
Better playoff performer?

Last time I checked Pau has 2 championships, and his playoff stats are superior.

The only thing Zbo has ever done better in the playoffs is outrebound Pau by +0.2, and shoot a higher clip from the line.

Pau's also played in 101 playoff games to Zbo's 28.

Pau had Kobe, lets be real here....

and his former stats were superior, but last playoffs, he wasn't good, so lets just look at the recent performances, and he is frail in the playoffs and not aggressive enough.... and also, you guys are shopping him like crazy, getting Zbo would be more than enough compensation to back.

Vinny642
06-28-2012, 02:12 AM
Yes, because Laker fans wouldn't be going crazy right now of if Pau was going to be dealt tomorrow and we'd be the ones just coming off of our 17th championship parade.

LOL....

http://static.fjcdn.com/pictures/I_7f9381_805117.jpg

Kaspa
06-28-2012, 02:12 AM
This would be a terrible trade for the Lakers ....garbage move!

Vinny642
06-28-2012, 02:14 AM

Its not all that bad

b@llhog24
06-28-2012, 02:17 AM
Pau takes a dump on Zbo in the playoffs.

shep33
06-28-2012, 02:19 AM
Pau had Kobe, lets be real here....

and his former stats were superior, but last playoffs, he wasn't good, so lets just look at the recent performances, and he is frail in the playoffs and not aggressive enough.... and also, you guys are shopping him like crazy, getting Zbo would be more than enough compensation to back.

And Zbo was good this past post season? Nah gimme Pau, better player over the course of their respective careers, without question, and I'm a fan of Zbo.

Again... Zbo is 1 year younger than Pau, has more money on his contract, and is coming off of knee surgery. Why wouldn't LA just keep Pau who's contract expires a year earlier and is owed less money? Even if you switched the two, do you think it makes LAL any better? Realize that Zbo isn't going to get as many shots, and considering he shoots a lower % than Pau by nearly 5% over their careers, how exactly does he make LAL better than they would be with Pau?

Vinny642
06-28-2012, 02:20 AM
Pau takes a dump on Zbo in the playoffs.

ohh yeah he definitely was amazing this last playoff.... he was way too soft and passive

majmarcus
06-28-2012, 02:20 AM

Hahaha...I wouldnt go that far. But if Im La, I definitely wouldnt do it. Offer me Gaye & Mayo(Gaye Mayo)loool & u got a deal...

Losoway
06-28-2012, 02:24 AM
i would not do this deal...if i was the lakers . randolph couldnt create his own shot with one ball hog ( rudy gay ) imagine him with kobe smh

Vinny642
06-28-2012, 02:24 AM
And Zbo was good this past post season? Nah gimme Pau, better player over the course of their respective careers, without question, and I'm a fan of Zbo.

Again... Zbo is 1 year younger than Pau, has more money on his contract, and is coming off of knee surgery. Why wouldn't LA just keep Pau who's contract expires a year earlier and is owed less money? Even if you switched the two, do you think it makes LAL any better? Realize that Zbo isn't going to get as many shots, and considering he shoots a lower % than Pau by nearly 5% over their careers, how exactly does he make LAL better than they would be with Pau?

Stop comparing careers, over the careers, Pau is easily better..... but we... I mean I am not talking about it, im talking the most recent playoffs, when Pau was playing super soft and all the LA fans hated him, and Zbo played nice and tough, and toughness is what you guys needed.... he won't have a problem shooting the shot that Pau didn't...

The knee injury doesn't seem to affect him THAT much, and what does the expiring contract matter?? you guys aren't keeping Pau regardless....

b@llhog24
06-28-2012, 02:25 AM
ohh yeah he definitely was amazing this last playoff.... he was way too soft and passive

1) I was referring to over there careers
2) He still took a dump on Zbo last playoffs lol.
3) Pau is being misutilized in the Lakers offense, he shot 5 3's in this post season alone, he's only attempted 7 in his entire career!

akesh99
06-28-2012, 02:26 AM
Randolph and Mayo for Gasol?

Vinny642
06-28-2012, 02:27 AM
1) I was referring to over there careers
2) He still took a dump on Zbo last playoffs lol.
3) Pau is being misutilized in the Lakers offense, he shot 5 3's in this post season alone, he's only attempted 7 in his entire career!

I'd rather him shoot a 3 than Bynum lol

Vinny642
06-28-2012, 02:28 AM
Randolph and Mayo for Gasol?

LOL wow thats a lot.... really? Mayo?

shep33
06-28-2012, 02:31 AM
Stop comparing careers, over the careers, Pau is easily better..... but we... I mean I am not talking about it, im talking the most recent playoffs, when Pau was playing super soft and all the LA fans hated him, and Zbo played nice and tough, and toughness is what you guys needed.... he won't have a problem shooting the shot that Pau didn't...

The knee injury doesn't seem to affect him THAT much, and what does the expiring contract matter?? you guys aren't keeping Pau regardless....

The Lakers are trying to shed salary, in the summer of 2014 they'll have nobody under contract, and that summer also happens to be one of the biggest ever in terms of free agency.

If the Lakers trade for Zbo, he'll be making 16.5 mill in 2014-2015 at the age of 33-34. He won't be worth it.

Vinny642
06-28-2012, 02:35 AM
The Lakers are trying to shed salary, in the summer of 2014 they'll have nobody under contract, and that summer also happens to be one of the biggest ever in terms of free agency.

If the Lakers trade for Zbo, he'll be making 16.5 mill in 2014-2015 at the age of 33-34. He won't be worth it.

Mitch is the man with trades.... im sure he'd pull a trick or two outta his ***...

but im sure you guys would have more playoff success with him than Pau, as I argued and I made your groupie be quiet :)

Did I do good mister shep

b@llhog24
06-28-2012, 02:42 AM
Mitch is the man with trades.... im sure he'd pull a trick or two outta his ***...

but im sure you guys would have more playoff success with him than Pau, as I argued and I made your groupie be quiet :)

Did I do good mister shep

Who?

Vinny642
06-28-2012, 02:43 AM
Who?

that salty KB-Pau-DH2012 fella

b@llhog24
06-28-2012, 02:44 AM
that salty KB-Pau-DH2012 fella

Ok :)

PurpleJesus
06-28-2012, 02:46 AM
Not a real rumor, but Memphis would be beast with this deal. Pau, Marc and Gay is pretty legit.

NYG 2000
06-28-2012, 02:47 AM
Is one ball enough for Randolph, Bynum and Kobe? I think not

Good move for the grizz tho

Vinny642
06-28-2012, 02:50 AM
Ok :)

LOL you're good, that other dude was upset still.... -__- some people need to move on

Vinny642
06-28-2012, 02:50 AM
Seeing the Gasol brothers together would be kind of cool

Kaspa
06-28-2012, 02:51 AM
We need youth, speed, athleticism ...not Zbo ...sorry but HELL NO!

Vinny642
06-28-2012, 02:57 AM
We need youth, speed, athleticism ...not Zbo ...sorry but HELL NO!

That is basically every team...

DoubleDragon
06-28-2012, 03:06 AM
No thanks.

He's still owed a bunch of money and is about the same age as Pau. I don't see any reason why the Lakers would be interested in this.

Depends if the "other piece" they're mentioning to go with Z-Bo to the Lakers is OJ Mayo.

But Rudy Gay would be nice too instead of Randolph:D
Now we're talkin!;)

I don't know if this rumor has any legs anyways. So many rumors, and it's only gonna get crazier. Nobody knows anything, but that's the fun of it I guess.

Kaspa
06-28-2012, 03:17 AM
That is basically every team...

No, that's us...OKC sure doesn't need it. Lol
It's what happens when you win alot of rings, you don't get much in the draft and eventually the team gets old and stagnant.

numba1CHANGsta
06-28-2012, 03:19 AM
Gasol/MWP for Randoplh/Gay

then I'd accept

Kaspa
06-28-2012, 03:22 AM
I would love to see us aquire a pick that would allow us to draft Kendal Marshall . Still can't believe he's gonna slip down in the draft ...this kid could be a real steal for us.

Hellcrooner
06-28-2012, 03:30 AM
Zach+Kobe+Bynum please sign Arenas , Marbury, Steve Francis and Allen iverson too.
It would be a nice circus to watch who starts the blow trading!!!!

majmarcus
06-28-2012, 03:44 AM
Can Z-bo even dunk? Seriously, Ive never saw him jump high enough to dunk...

Method28
06-28-2012, 03:57 AM
@numba1

So grizz trade arguably their top 2 players and receive the Lakers 3rd best player and an old washed up Metta when they already have tony allen? Got it.

Iron24th
06-28-2012, 04:00 AM
We need speed and atheticism, in others words not zbo.

kblo247
06-28-2012, 04:53 AM

I would take Zach. He is the better PF. Pau is a C that doesn;t mesh with Bynum, Zach is a real PF and proven to mesh with a big and spread the floor. He is also a double double machine and hungry offesnviely. They could put 4 bench guys out there with him and he would carry the O and be greedy, whereas PAu forces Blake and Artest into fades like he does Kobe vs the clock.

Another thing is lets be real here.

Pau was a 1 time all star, no all nba, 0-12 in the postseason guy who got called out for being soft and faked an injury on top of being overpaid in Memphis. Zach is the better player for that franchise. He's a better first option and focal point, because unlike Pau he doesn't have to be poked, prodded, and coddled. Him on one knee produced Pau's playoff numbers which tells you how bad Pau has been the past two years at PF.

PAu got elevated in status because of Kobe and Phil. He isn't a guy that is a 20 million dollar player. He isn't a franchise player. He isn't a leader or captain. He isn't tough minded and naturally willing to leave it all out there. HE has to be pushed and in the words of Amare have Kobe, Lamar, Bynum, Ron and the like standing behind him as Pau in his own words said "to give him strength". Plus Pau has a damn trade kicker, is getting older, and mentally has checked out on two playoff runs now.

I would take Zach. I would take Josh Smith. Hell I would take the 3 picks and Lowry. It's just at a point you can't rely on the guy nor want his mentality rubbing off on others in LA because the moping offsets the hard hat ball to the wall Kobe and Ron bring, and there is no one there to care about his feelings and hug him with Derek and Lamar gone because as Kobe has already said "he don't do that **** with anyone but his girls"

Pau for Zach and Tony Allen would be a good deal. (Would say OJ but hes a FA)

show34
06-28-2012, 05:26 AM
zach for gasol nope josh smith for gasol yes

jerryred
06-28-2012, 05:33 AM
ya i would rather trade him for Josh Smith and 23 pick and get Quincy Miller, but i wish they could find a trade in the top ten and get Damian Lillard or MKG but i dont think that will happen

StarvingKnick22
06-28-2012, 09:55 AM
The Gasol Brothers work best seperated

nycericanguy
06-28-2012, 10:15 AM

really?

See Zbo got that label for his good playoff run 2 years ago, but other than that he's been nothing special in the playoffs. and even during his great run 2 years ago he only shot 44% in the playoffs... not exactly great.

Gasol has been a MUCH better player in the playoffs and its really not even close. 17 & 10 & 3apg & 2bpg on 52% for his career he in the playoffs.

zbo has a horrible contract and is coming off an 11ppg 7rpg season, he is nowhere near the passer Gasol is either...

Gasol > Zbo, and again really not close... no way the Laker do this.

STL Don
06-28-2012, 10:23 AM
It really would depend on who the Grizzlies package with Randolph, IMO.
I could see this type of deal working out well for both sides barring any injuries. Randolph would be a better fit than Gasol for the Lakers and we would no longer have to suffer watching Pau out of position with a high tendency of disappearing, especially when we would expect him to be stepping up his game.
Both would also probably find it in themselves to regain confidence and play harder for each of their new city's in which would be a lot of hype surrounding one another to perform at a high level.

netsgiantsyanks
06-28-2012, 10:28 AM
not happening. it'll be cool to see marc and pau on the same team though.

mamba24
06-28-2012, 10:43 AM

Everything that the lakers have said they wanted (youth and athleticism) is not found in Zbo... They may have comparable stats but this would not the Lakers at all. They would essentially be the same team they were last season.

Thegame187
06-28-2012, 10:48 AM
Two words:

Bleacher Report

Thanks for the heads up, i was getting excited about this one until i found out it was from the worst sport website on the internet, where is the article with one of their awesome titles like "Why the Lakers need to trade Gasol for Z Bo"

****en Bleacher Report

shep33
06-28-2012, 11:25 AM
I would take Zach. He is the better PF. Pau is a C that doesn;t mesh with Bynum, Zach is a real PF and proven to mesh with a big and spread the floor. He is also a double double machine and hungry offesnviely. They could put 4 bench guys out there with him and he would carry the O and be greedy, whereas PAu forces Blake and Artest into fades like he does Kobe vs the clock.

Another thing is lets be real here.

Pau was a 1 time all star, no all nba, 0-12 in the postseason guy who got called out for being soft and faked an injury on top of being overpaid in Memphis. Zach is the better player for that franchise. He's a better first option and focal point, because unlike Pau he doesn't have to be poked, prodded, and coddled. Him on one knee produced Pau's playoff numbers which tells you how bad Pau has been the past two years at PF.

PAu got elevated in status because of Kobe and Phil. He isn't a guy that is a 20 million dollar player. He isn't a franchise player. He isn't a leader or captain. He isn't tough minded and naturally willing to leave it all out there. HE has to be pushed and in the words of Amare have Kobe, Lamar, Bynum, Ron and the like standing behind him as Pau in his own words said "to give him strength". Plus Pau has a damn trade kicker, is getting older, and mentally has checked out on two playoff runs now.

I would take Zach. I would take Josh Smith. Hell I would take the 3 picks and Lowry. It's just at a point you can't rely on the guy nor want his mentality rubbing off on others in LA because the moping offsets the hard hat ball to the wall Kobe and Ron bring, and there is no one there to care about his feelings and hug him with Derek and Lamar gone because as Kobe has already said "he don't do that **** with anyone but his girls"

Pau for Zach and Tony Allen would be a good deal. (Would say OJ but hes a FA)

See I have to disagree with Zbo being a good fit. I think playing with Marc who is extremely unselfish and a great passer really helps him. Bynum needs to improve on his passing ability, and it's nowhere near Marc's level.
r
My biggest complaint with this deal is that Zbo has more years and more money than Pau left on his deal. We have nobody on the books for 2014, but if we pulled this deal, a 33-34 year old Zbo would be making 16.5 mill. That's a big chunk of the cap for us.

Chronz
06-28-2012, 11:33 AM

Proof?

The goods
06-28-2012, 11:42 AM
doubt lakers accept.

Maybe if they make it a three way that sends Zbo to hell and someting good to lakers it would be intriguing.

Of course id be happy to have both gasols on a team. then trade Ballhogay for Igoudala and its a great team.

Hahahahaha

Chronz
@numba1

So grizz trade arguably their top 2 players and receive the Lakers 3rd best player and an old washed up Metta when they already have tony allen? Got it.

You talking about Mayo ?

ManningToTyree
unless they play with two basketballs I don't see how Kobe and Randolph can be on the same team. I like it for the Grizz.

The goods
06-28-2012, 11:46 AM
I'll kill someone if this happens I want nothing to do with z-bo and his contract, maybe if they give us conely,gay,zbo,and 2 first round picks I'd take. Lol
But seriously We need to get younger and faster and those aren't z-bo's strong points

D-Block21-Chito
06-28-2012, 11:52 AM
Lakers are in no position to not accept in my eyes. Great deal for lakers

L@ker4Life
06-28-2012, 12:12 PM
First of all Bleacher report is written by fans like all of us on here....0 credibility.

2nd, this move makes sense for both teams. The Lakers need a 4 that can stretch the floor to create space for Bynum. Is this the best option? Probably not, but it's on the correct path.

Josh Smith wouldn't fit with the Lakers because he can't stretch the floor. If we are not getting Howard I rather have Zbo over josh smith.

Avenged
06-28-2012, 12:15 PM
Bleacher Report holds no credibility when it comes to news or rumors. Feel free to re-post this with a credible source.