PDA

View Full Version : What is Ivan Nova's ceiling?

NYSpirit1
06-27-2012, 11:07 PM
Question from Yankee fan to other fans.

He was 16-4 with a 3.70 ERA last season and is 9-2 with a 4.25 ERA this season.

He's more like a Maddux type pitcher where he doesn't get that many strikeouts, gets a lot of ground outs and strikeouts. A lot of his pitches are coming along.

Personally, I think he has the ability to be an ace.

Dark Donnie
06-27-2012, 11:15 PM
I'd say majority will say 2 or 3 which sounds about right

VenezuelanMet
06-27-2012, 11:28 PM
His ceiling is this. Being an average pitcher collecting wins with the Yankees' godly offense.

You need a 3-4 option on your poll, as I don't think he flames out, which is valuable of course. But he's nothing special.

NYMETS2889
06-27-2012, 11:28 PM

He's more like a Maddux type pitcher where he doesn't get that many strikeouts, gets a lot of ground outs and strikeouts. A lot of his pitches are coming along.

:facepalm:he is a middle of the rotation guy at best-he is the prime example of a pitcher benefiting from run support-you said it yourself his ERA is 4.25 which is not great to say the least his FIP is 4.46 and right in line with that, he has a career whip of 1.36

he is a very serviceable pitcher but you are out of your mind if you think he is an ace or has that potential-not every team in MLB has an ace btw

a similar pitcher to him is Dillion Gee btw and i have no belief he is ever going to be an ace-but he is a good MLB pitcher nothing wrong with that

RenegadeRiot36
06-27-2012, 11:34 PM
Nova gets hit. Hard. He has some of the best luck ive ever seen as a yankee fan. The problem with him is he gets in trouble easily and often. However his best quality is that he has a knack for getting out of trouble often. He gives you a heartattack when he pitches because of it. I see him as a 3-4 for his career. The wins will be there because, well, its the yankees.

Frozenred
06-27-2012, 11:37 PM
I would say he is a 1 or 2 time all star. A decent starter with many wins because of the team he plays for.

popo85
06-28-2012, 12:00 AM
2-3 in the rotation.

MotownWebGuy
06-28-2012, 12:05 AM
His 15 homers and 100 hits surrendered in 91 innings raises a flag.

Nova is working with a magic bag of tricks.

Station 13
06-28-2012, 12:05 AM
Mid rotation inning eater.

rkelly7
06-28-2012, 12:11 AM
A mediocre starter who goes out every fifth day, puts up meh stats, but gets a win every time. So by those standards, the Yanks should probably go out and get Jaime Moyer, and Amando Gallaraga wouldn't be a bad pickup either.

oak2455
06-28-2012, 12:18 AM
its like 12 feet high standard for a ceiling

sexicano31
06-28-2012, 12:31 AM
I can tell you this, Nova>>>>Lee because Lee doesnt know how to win

06-28-2012, 12:34 AM
I can tell you this, Nova>>>>Lee because Lee doesnt know how to win

Cliff Lee just lost his ace status. If he wanted to win he should hit a few HRs and pitch a complete game shutout.

sexicano31
06-28-2012, 12:36 AM
Cliff Lee just lost his ace status. If he wanted to win he should hit a few HRs and pitch a complete game shutout.

Agreed. If he was so great he would have provided his own offense in that 10 IP game against the giants. ****ing bum

oak2455
06-28-2012, 12:57 AM

Agreed. If he was so great he would have provided his own offense in that 10 IP game against the giants. ****ing bum

:laugh::laugh::laugh: The Yanks need Cliffy Boy:clap::clap: get him Ca$$$$$h

SenorGato
06-28-2012, 01:21 AM
]His ceiling is this. Being an average pitcher collecting wins with the Yankees' godly offense.
[/B]
You need a 3-4 option on your poll, as I don't think he flames out, which is valuable of course. But he's nothing special.

+1

3-4 starter in a quality rotation, which isn't a knock. Out of the AL East I think he'd be a solid 3. His stuff really isn't bad.

oak2455
06-28-2012, 01:36 AM
His ceiling is this. Being an average pitcher collecting wins with the Yankees' godly offense.

he's no DICKey:D

Pinstripe pride
06-28-2012, 08:55 AM
i hear they are thinking of renaming the Cy Young to th Ivan Nova

ShinobiNYC
06-28-2012, 11:04 AM
The best way to describe Nova is that he is an average pitcher(stuff wise) but with the heart and nerves of an ace. I don't know where that description fits in your poll so I won't vote.

ManningToTyree
06-28-2012, 11:33 AM
I think he is a very formidable #2 and occasional all star

nyyfan4life
06-28-2012, 11:41 AM
His ceiling is a good #3 starter, IMO. He will probably have a couple of years where he puts up all-star numbers during his prime. He got of to a really bad start but has pitched better as of late.

KingPosey
06-28-2012, 11:55 AM
The best way to describe Nova is that he is an average pitcher(stuff wise) but with the heart and nerves of an ace. I don't know where that description fits in your poll so I won't vote.

I believe its the last option on the poll under "what a homer says".

jd25213
06-28-2012, 12:09 PM
Number 3 at best. He gets wins, but when the Yankees score around 8 runs when he pitches then he better win. His other numbers are mediocre at best. When he is winning then he looks great, but if he gets hit hard then he seems to give up. Some Yankee fans think he's already better than CC :facepalm:

theslick1
06-28-2012, 12:43 PM
I believe Nova is currently the Yankees ace after yesterday's roster moves.

jd25213
06-28-2012, 12:54 PM
I believe Nova is currently the Yankees ace after yesterday's roster moves.

Where's Hughes then?

CarniifeX
06-28-2012, 01:05 PM
Javier Vasquez :shrug:

infernoscurse
06-28-2012, 01:27 PM
A mediocre starter who goes out every fifth day, puts up meh stats, but gets a win every time. So by those standards, the Yanks should probably go out and get Jaime Moyer, and Amando Gallaraga wouldn't be a bad pickup either.

sounds like the perfect fit for the O's

NYKnickFanatic
06-28-2012, 01:30 PM

:confused:

Mind blown.

Pinstripe pride
06-28-2012, 01:30 PM
Where's Hughes then?

not enough wins yet for hughe sto be an ace. maybe after 1 or 2 more

infernoscurse
06-28-2012, 01:35 PM
a couple of years ago his ceiling was made of wood and zinc , wqasnt that stable vs hurricanes but i believe his present ceiling is made of concrete since hes living the high class in nyc

ciaban
06-28-2012, 01:58 PM
yeah he really is a number 3-4, maybe a 2 at his best

waveycrockett
06-28-2012, 03:03 PM
Joe Blanton

06-28-2012, 03:15 PM
He is an ace. He has 9 wins and you can't dispute that. I don't want to see your fancy xFLUBS and BERA or whatever letter they decided to put in front of ERA now and call it a stat. When Nova is on the mound and beats your team you better recognize greatness.

nycsports2
06-28-2012, 03:21 PM
i think hes a good 2-3.. leaning towards a 2 though bc hes clutch

NYMETS2889
06-28-2012, 03:36 PM
He is an ace. He has 9 wins and you can't dispute that. I don't want to see your fancy xFLUBS and BERA or whatever letter they decided to put in front of ERA now and call it a stat. When Nova is on the mound and beats your team you better recognize greatness.

i hope this is a joke i dont buy into advanced metrics much at all his numbers (besides wins) are identical to dilion gee who is far from an ace-and gee has moring innings pitched so what can you deduce? nova gets a ton of run support

by your logic he is having a better year then king felix in his cy young year (only had 12 wins)

wins were a great stat 20+ years ago when pitchers went for a ton of CG but now they dont so they arent a very telling stat any more

06-28-2012, 03:38 PM
i hope this is a joke i dont buy into advanced metrics much at all his numbers (besides wins) are identical to dilion gee who is far from an ace-and gee has moring innings pitched so what can you deduce? nova gets a ton of run support

by your logic he is having a better year then king felix in his cy young year (only had 12 wins)

wins were a great stat 20+ years ago when pitchers went for a ton of CG but now they dont so they arent a very telling stat any more

He wins games and is also very handsome.

Jeffy25
06-28-2012, 03:40 PM
2-3 in the rotation

Jeffy25
06-28-2012, 03:42 PM

oh really? hmm

Jeffy25
06-28-2012, 03:43 PM
he is a very serviceable pitcher but you are out of your mind if you think he is an ace or has that potential-not every team in MLB has an ace btw

Every thing else you said is correct, except the literal definition of an ace is the 'best pitcher on a teams pitching staff'

mark1125
06-29-2012, 04:30 PM
4/5 should be an option. That would have been my choice.

BrianWestKins
06-29-2012, 04:33 PM
Never liked Nova. He's a 4 at best

mark1125
06-29-2012, 04:34 PM
He wins games and is also very handsome.

:moon:

JDIsMyGod23
06-29-2012, 05:03 PM
He seems like the new version of Wang.

NJBASEBALL22
06-29-2012, 05:27 PM
Javier Vasquez :shrug:

Is that Trout in sig? That is a nasty play? I love that kid.

NJBASEBALL22
06-29-2012, 05:52 PM

I do agree with you that wins are overrated when judging a pitcher. To compare Nova to Gee is a decent comparison b/c of the similar styles of pitching. However, Nova is the better pitcher, I would say. For someone that doesn't strike people out, Nova is striking out 8 per 9 innings and his walks are way down, down to 2.5 per 9. But, Nova is pitching in the sandbox that is Yankee Stadium whereas Gee is pitching in Yellowstone park... er... Citi Field. And then not to mention the advanced hitting in the AL, more specifically, in the AL East.

Nova, though I have no statistical evidence to prove this, seems to navigate out of trouble... people can it luck, for lack of a better word, but we witnessed Andy Pettitte do it for years (career WHIP- which I think is a great stat of 1.35 but skewed down about from pitching in Houston), ground balls turn into double plays with men on base. Nova has been hit this year and at the rate he has been hit and how hard he has been hit, you'd expect worse outcomes but he is getting it done.

When I look at Nova, I see a solid 3/4 pitcher that you can give the ball to and trust to give you 7 quality innings. He keeps you in the game more often than not. Chin-Ming Wang is a decent comparison prior to this year, as Nova as shown a tendency to pick up K's. Nova is the type of pitcher that you want in Yankee Stadium.

An Andy Pettitte type starter is the answer to the question... a solid 3 starter, maybe a fringe 2 starter with a decent offense, that keeps the ball on the ground and you can trust to give you more good starts than bad.

waveycrockett
06-29-2012, 06:47 PM

WINS!!!!Nova>>Kershaw LMFAO

ichitownclowni
06-29-2012, 06:59 PM
I would say an All Star. Nothing more

idrinkpepsi
06-29-2012, 07:31 PM
3rd or 4th starter.

avrpatsfan
06-29-2012, 07:39 PM
Ace because he gets the wins *sarcasm*

Super.
06-29-2012, 07:47 PM

not sure if serious

Cano-Montero...
06-29-2012, 07:58 PM
He seems like the new version of Wang.

thinking of the same thing...

Jeffy25
06-29-2012, 09:49 PM
I do agree with you that wins are overrated when judging a pitcher. To compare Nova to Gee is a decent comparison b/c of the similar styles of pitching. However, Nova is the better pitcher, I would say. For someone that doesn't strike people out, Nova is striking out 8 per 9 innings and his walks are way down, down to 2.5 per 9. But, Nova is pitching in the sandbox that is Yankee Stadium whereas Gee is pitching in Yellowstone park... er... Citi Field. And then not to mention the advanced hitting in the AL, more specifically, in the AL East.

Nova, though I have no statistical evidence to prove this, seems to navigate out of trouble... people can it luck, for lack of a better word, but we witnessed Andy Pettitte do it for years (career WHIP- which I think is a great stat of 1.35 but skewed down about from pitching in Houston), ground balls turn into double plays with men on base. Nova has been hit this year and at the rate he has been hit and how hard he has been hit, you'd expect worse outcomes but he is getting it done.

When I look at Nova, I see a solid 3/4 pitcher that you can give the ball to and trust to give you 7 quality innings. He keeps you in the game more often than not. Chin-Ming Wang is a decent comparison prior to this year, as Nova as shown a tendency to pick up K's. Nova is the type of pitcher that you want in Yankee Stadium.

An Andy Pettitte type starter is the answer to the question... a solid 3 starter, maybe a fringe 2 starter with a decent offense, that keeps the ball on the ground and you can trust to give you more good starts than bad.

He might appear to escape trouble a lot, but his left on base percentage is basically league average.

xxplayerxx23
06-29-2012, 10:23 PM
Nova can be a 3.40 type pitcher IMO, maybe a little lower .

xxplayerxx23
06-29-2012, 10:24 PM
You act like he hasnt been pitching good over the last month and a half.

Super.
06-29-2012, 11:15 PM
He's gotten a ton of run support...

06-29-2012, 11:43 PM
WINS!!!!Nova>>Kershaw LMFAO

LUMARFOIT. I can type a bunch of letters in caps too. Nova would would beat Kershaw and then make him shine his shoes after the game. The guy is an ace and racks up those wins like there is no tomorrow.

Don't hate because you don't have Super Nova.

xxplayerxx23
06-30-2012, 10:34 AM
He's gotten a ton of run support...

Ok and droping his ERA from 5 to a low 4 means nothing?

Tabbert
06-30-2012, 04:37 PM
Ok and droping his ERA from 5 to a low 4 means nothing?

One more clean inning and that ERA will be in the 3's.

Any Rookie pitcher ( or any pitcher for that matter) that comes in and throws at Jose Bautista, then is willing to throw down, is a stud in my book. Super nova knows no fear and all he does is WIN, WIN, WIN. :cool:

Yankees90.
06-30-2012, 05:11 PM
Alright.....yes the guy gets run support..its not a secret can everyone stop using that god damn argument. Ok , there have been times he has gone 5 IP and given up 5 runs, and got the win....does everyone forget to mention the times he goes 7 shutout innings? Or one of his games that i went to earlier this year against the Reds, yes he got knocked around a bit, but he had 12 strikeouts through 5 IP. Is he an ace, or going to be an ace? Hmm, probably not, but who knows. I absolutely think he will be a 2-3 starter, potential All-Star, maybe a 3.40 to 3.80 type of pitcher. He will have his days where he gets knocked around, and days where he is dominant. And BTW comparing him to Dillon Gee made me LOL so hard i almost crapped myself (waits for the sabermetric police) spare me those stats...

Robbw241
06-30-2012, 05:14 PM
Been saying for awhile he's our new Pettite. Never really over powering but always keeps you in the game