PDA

View Full Version : Beckett expected back Saturday; 6-man rotation?

RedSoxtober
06-27-2012, 09:34 AM
Josh Beckett (shoulder inflammation), who is eligible to return from the 15-day DL Thursday, is expected to pitch Saturday night, in the third game of a four-game set in Seattle.

The Sox will travel to Seattle Thursday to begin a seven-game trip that includes three games in Oakland July 2-4.

Valentine has contemplated going to a six-man rotation in an attempt to accommodate Beckett’s return.

“Yeah, I’m considering it - until the All-Star break,’’ he said.Boston Globe

Crucis
06-27-2012, 03:41 PM
While I don't think that the 6 man rotation is a good idea in general, the idea of doing it leading into the upcoming All-Star break is probably a decent idea. Get everyone an extra day of rest. No need to make a hasty decision about who to drop from the rotation until after the ASG.

Nomar
06-27-2012, 05:15 PM
So were pretty much waiting to see who cracks first between Cook and Morales.

1_FrozenNetsFan
06-27-2012, 06:17 PM
So were pretty much waiting to see who cracks first between Cook and Morales.

My guess is Cook will be the odd man out even though he WAS in the starting rotation. Lets just hope everyone pitches lights out to make it harder for BV. Our starters have been less than stellar.

RedSoxtober
06-27-2012, 08:46 PM
My guess is Cook will be the odd man out even though he WAS in the starting rotation. Lets just hope everyone pitches lights out to make it harder for BV. Our starters have been less than stellar.

Spurred by comments elsewhere I checked on the run prevention side of these Sox. I was shocked to find that they were actually better than both the 2003 AND 2004 teams (4.58 runs against/game this year, 4.99 in 2003 and 4.75 in 2004).

Anyone else find that hard to believe?

Nomar
06-27-2012, 09:22 PM
Spurred by comments elsewhere I checked on the run prevention side of these Sox. I was shocked to find that they were actually better than both the 2003 AND 2004 teams (4.58 runs against/game this year, 4.99 in 2003 and 4.75 in 2004).

I do for sure. Although i would think those ERAs are skewed (i mean the front 2 or 3 guys were very solid whereas the back end wasnt pretty).

Ill look at each starters ERA those seasons.

Also its important to note that we could have won an extra 5 games thus far without a horrific bullpen in April and the Bailey injury.

Bo Sox Fan
06-27-2012, 10:22 PM
I'd like Padilla to stick with the club and stay in the pen where he's been pretty valuable thus far.

He'd also come in clutch in a bench brawl or 2 down the road here against New York/T-Bay when the divisional/wild card races heat up.

Old times

bagwell368
06-28-2012, 05:06 AM

Not really. BRS team ERA, ERA+, AL R/G

2003 - 4.48 104 - 4.87
2004 - 4.18 116 - 4.99
2012 - 4.28 098 - 4.31

This year's staff is below average, 2003 a bit above, 2004 well above, and 2007 - a magnificent 123 ERA+

The "3rd" dead ball era that started in 2006 is what is playing games with the totals.

RedSoxtober
06-28-2012, 09:27 AM
Not really. BRS team ERA, ERA+, AL R/G

2003 - 4.48 104 - 4.87
2004 - 4.18 116 - 4.99
2012 - 4.28 098 - 4.31

This year's staff is below average, 2003 a bit above, 2004 well above, and 2007 - a magnificent 123 ERA+

The "3rd" dead ball era that started in 2006 is what is playing games with the totals.

It's true that RS has dropped the last few years and that probably accounts for some of the apparently "it can't be true" feeling when looking at the numbers. FWIW, I was looking at total runs scored/allowed rather than ERA, allowing better/worse defensive players to impact the results as well as pitchers.

GrkGawdofWalkz
06-28-2012, 01:08 PM
DFA Daisuke Matsuzaka. Just get it over with. Just give the keys and keep Felix in the rotation. Everyone knows and expects that Daisuke is gone this off season. No one will trade for him without his entire contract being bought out. If Youkilis who has 20x more trade value only nets Jackson and Lillibridge what would Matsuzaka bring in. Sand on the dollar.

RedSoxtober
06-28-2012, 01:40 PM
DFA Daisuke Matsuzaka. Just get it over with. Just give the keys and keep Felix in the rotation. Everyone knows and expects that Daisuke is gone this off season. No one will trade for him without his entire contract being bought out. If Youkilis who has 20x more trade value only nets Jackson and Lillibridge what would Matsuzaka bring in. Sand on the dollar.

1.136 whip, 8.2k/9, 3.33k/bb

As painful as he is to watch (and I'm really not a fan) his results are getting better. At most he gets two starts through the ASG. Relax and let's see what pans out.

And by 'pan out' I mean mostly see whether or not someone needs a SP soon. D'Backs, for example, sent Saunders to the DL and are likely losing Dan Hudson for the year with TJ surgery. Dice-K is already performing at the level of their #4s and 5s and they're 5GB in the WC. Likewise the Mets have been very unsettled in their fifth spot, the Cardinals may not get back Jaime Garcia, ...

gustofer1
06-28-2012, 05:51 PM
1.136 whip, 8.2k/9, 3.33k/bb

As painful as he is to watch (and I'm really not a fan) his results are getting better. At most he gets two starts through the ASG. Relax and let's see what pans out.

And by 'pan out' I mean mostly see whether or not someone needs a SP soon. D'Backs, for example, sent Saunders to the DL and are likely losing Dan Hudson for the year with TJ surgery. Dice-K is already performing at the level of their #4s and 5s and they're 5GB in the WC. Likewise the Mets have been very unsettled in their fifth spot, the Cardinals may not get back Jaime Garcia, ...

Doesn't he have a no trade though? Someone was saying the best options for trade partners are on the west coast because that would be where he would want to go. I think keeping the rotation in tact and moving Morales back to the 'pen is most likely to happen.. When Buchholz comes back, then we can talk about what moves need to be made.

Nomar
06-28-2012, 05:53 PM
I strongly believe that we should trade Lester

RedSoxtober
06-28-2012, 06:31 PM
Doesn't he have a no trade though? Someone was saying the best options for trade partners are on the west coast because that would be where he would want to go. I think keeping the rotation in tact and moving Morales back to the 'pen is most likely to happen.. When Buchholz comes back, then we can talk about what moves need to be made.

Yes, he has a full NTC. We have no idea what his persuasion is in regard to it.

First and foremost my point is that there might be a place that he would be desired, particularly if his starts continue to improve over the next couple of weeks. IF there is a match then we can worry about the NTC.

todu82
06-28-2012, 08:41 PM
I don't care much for 6-man rotations. I think they'll either send someone down to Pawtucket or put them in the bullpen.

GoldDustTwin
06-28-2012, 10:13 PM

Somewhat.......until I remember what scary offenses we had both of those years. We did have the AL batting champ hitting 9th, after all. Manny & Ortiz in their primes, Damon, Millar having career years, Varitek averaged 21.5 hr's those 2 years, Nomar had a very nice year in '03.

An offense that good will "sugar o'er the devil himself" - as Bill from Stratford would say.

1_FrozenNetsFan
06-29-2012, 05:42 AM
I'm not moving Morales out of the rotation till he plays himself out of it. Another very good performance by him against King Felix. Third starting assignment and all he does is throw 100+ pitches in 7 innings and struck out 7 and walked 2. That's almost as good a job as any starter has given us this year. Right now he's as close to a stopper as we have the way the rest of the staff is playing.
I will say this though. The Dice gave a painful but reasonably effective outing the last time out. He does seem to be getting better but he's a half a bottle of tums per game pitcher. No wonder managers get old before their time.

SirHizz
06-29-2012, 12:37 PM
Morales performance last night was absolutely amazing. No question, the M's don't have a firepower offense, but he pitched under pressure all game, he knew that 1 surrendered run could net us the loss right away. He couldn't think "Oh well, offense is gonna pick me up anyways"

Franklin's make-up as a starter is trumendous, he looks miles better than as a reliever. Could be coincidence or small-sample size, maybe both, but I'm with FrozenNetsFan, Morales keeps the job until he's pitching himself out of it. Maybe Morales is a decent SP afterall, stranger things have happened.

Crucis
06-30-2012, 03:15 AM
Morales performance last night was absolutely amazing. No question, the M's don't have a firepower offense, but he pitched under pressure all game, he knew that 1 surrendered run could net us the loss right away. He couldn't think "Oh well, offense is gonna pick me up anyways"

Franklin's make-up as a starter is trumendous, he looks miles better than as a reliever. Could be coincidence or small-sample size, maybe both, but I'm with FrozenNetsFan, Morales keeps the job until he's pitching himself out of it. Maybe Morales is a decent SP after all, stranger things have happened.

I don't disagree with anything you've said here. However, once Beckett and Buchholz return from the DL, the Sox are going to have Lester, Beckett, Buchholz, Doubront, DiceK, as well as Morales and Cook as starters. So, I have a hard time seeing the Sox kicking any of the first 5 out of the rotation. And a 6 man rotation seems very unlikely after the All-Star break. It seems likely that Morales will return to the pen. But it does make one wonder what the Sox will do, since I don't think that Cook can be sent down.

1_FrozenNetsFan
06-30-2012, 07:15 AM
Personally I'd send the Dice to the pen...he flat out sucks...since he's joined the club he hasn't gotten through 6 innings ONCE! Give our pen a freaking break...keep pitchers in the rotation that can go deep in games...if we are in contention for a playoff berth we'll need a fresh pen in sept.

Crucis
06-30-2012, 02:05 PM
Personally I'd send the Dice to the pen...he flat out sucks...since he's joined the club he hasn't gotten through 6 innings ONCE! Give our pen a freaking break...keep pitchers in the rotation that can go deep in games...if we are in contention for a playoff berth we'll need a fresh pen in sept.

1FNF, it really doesn't matter what you or I would do personally. it only matters what the Red Sox and BV will do. This is why I never say what *I* would do. I only write about what I think the Red Sox will do, whether it's moves like this or GM-related moves. ;)

1_FrozenNetsFan
06-30-2012, 07:46 PM
1FNF, it really doesn't matter what you or I would do personally. it only matters what the Red Sox and BV will do. This is why I never say what *I* would do. I only write about what I think the Red Sox will do, whether it's moves like this or GM-related moves. ;)
:o