PDA

View Full Version : Stern Punishes Oklahoma City Orders Them to Send 2nd Round Draft Pick to Celts

xabial
06-26-2012, 06:48 PM
NBA commissioner David Stern has punished the Oklahoma City Thunder, ordering them to send a future draft pick to the Boston Celtics as compensation for the heart problems that Jeff Green suffered with the Celtics, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

Jeff Green took a seat for the season in December. (USPW)
Oklahoma City will send Boston the 2013 second-round pick that it controls from Charlotte. Expected to be the worst team in the league again, Charlotte's pick will likely be the 31st overall.

After Green had season-ending surgery for an aortic aneurysm in December, Boston's doctors constructed a case to take to the NBA trying to show proof that Oklahoma City owed the Celtics some kind of compensation, sources said. The Thunder had traded Green to the Celtics in February of 2011 as part of a package for center Kendrick Perkins.

Green missed the 2011-'12 season with the condition, but plans a comeback this year. Green will be a free agent, and Boston has shown interest in re-signing him.

Interesting.. Don't See Many Teams Punished By Losing Draft Picks Lately. Too put into perspective the Value of a Early 2nd Rounder...Cleveland wants Beal and has offered the No. 4 pick and either the 33rd or 34th pick to Charlotte for the No. 2 pick.
(http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/ken-berger/19425185/draft-buzz-rockets-make-play-for-dwight)

Source- http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--thunder-forced-to-give-up-draft-pick-to-celtics-as-compensation-for-jeff-green-s-health-issues.html

Thoughts?

GottaLoveCubs
06-26-2012, 06:50 PM
Just saw this on yahoo. I think its kind of crappy. Unless they knew about the condition and didn't say anything to anyone, thats just the luck of the draw.
The Bears traded a pick for someone who died before he touched the field for them. Never got that pick back.

netsgiantsyanks
06-26-2012, 06:51 PM
maybe they didn't know about the condition. :shrug:

$KnicksAndKobe$
06-26-2012, 06:54 PM
So why didn't the Knicks get compensation from the Clippers after Mobley's heart problem -.-

xabial
06-26-2012, 06:55 PM
Just saw this on yahoo. I think its kind of crappy. Unless they knew about the condition and didn't say anything to anyone, thats just the luck of the draw.
The Bears traded a pick for someone who died before he touched the field for them. Never got that pick back.

Exactly depends on the Commissioner.. In hockey the Rangers drafted Alexei Cherepanov, a Very Good prospect who fell only because teams were weary of him leaving Europe to play in the NHL. (He had no pre-existing medical conditions). He was drafted in the First Round in the 2007 Draft as the 17th Overall Pick, but never played one game for the Rangers because He died suddenly in Russia at the tender age of 19.

The Rangers were rewarded with an extra 2nd Round Pick (?) next year, instead of a rightful 1st round pick as compensation for a first round pick's Sudden Death.

Don't agree with the Compensation, but at least they got something.

But back on topic..

Does not seem fair of OKC. They are good at finding Diamonds in the Rough (Ibaka), and the First pick of the 2nd round could have gotten them a steal. I envy OKC's Scouts, and No offense to The Celtics Fans, feel like the Celtics will draft an underachieving player with the early 2nd Round pick in 2013. (31st-34th overall).

netsgiantsyanks
06-26-2012, 06:55 PM
did the celtics ever get compensated for len bias?

Raps08-09 Champ
06-26-2012, 07:02 PM
It seems as if people cannot read. The Celtics tried to make a case to say that the Thunder knew about the situation but did not inform the Celtics of past medical history (which I believe is mandatory). Clearly, they found something to indicate that the Thunder knew.

After Green had season-ending surgery for an aortic aneurysm in December, Boston's doctors constructed a case to take to the NBA trying to show proof that Oklahoma City owed the Celtics some kind of compensation

Dade County
06-26-2012, 07:02 PM
ok?

jimm120
06-26-2012, 07:09 PM
It seems as if people cannot read. The Celtics tried to make a case to say that the Thunder knew about the situation but did not inform the Celtics of past medical history (which I believe is mandatory). Clearly, they found something to indicate that the Thunder knew.

I was about to say the same thing after reading the first few comments. I was like "WTF are they talking about? Did I mis-read the article?"

Good to see that I was correct in the assumption that the Celtics investigation found that the Thunder MUST have known.

eibbor
06-26-2012, 07:09 PM
Who cares? This will have 0 effect on OKC. This is just on of the last pathetic moves Stern makes on his way out

arkanian215
06-26-2012, 07:11 PM
0a

Raps08-09 Champ
06-26-2012, 07:13 PM
Boston's doctors didn't do their due diligence. I don't know how they can blame the Thunder for this.

Full disclosure. If someone sells you something without telling you it's defective, you certainly have a right to return it, no?

GottaLoveCubs
06-26-2012, 07:15 PM
Boston's doctors didn't do their due diligence. I don't know how they can blame the Thunder for this.

Yup. Shouldn't their doctors performed a physical and caught this?

Green_Monster
06-26-2012, 07:16 PM
ok?

Better than a **** load of Heat threads.

Raps08-09 Champ
06-26-2012, 07:16 PM
As part of a ruling in a trade disclosure dispute between the Boston Celtics and the Oklahoma City Thunder, NBA Commissioner David Stern today awarded the Celtics a 2013 second-round draft pick held by the Thunder. Stern found that there was no evidence of bad faith or any intent to withhold information on the part of Thunder management or its physicians, but that Oklahoma City’s cardiologists were in possession of information about Jeff Green that was not shared with Thunder management and that should have been disclosed to the Celtics in connection with the trade of Green in February 2011.

Under NBA rules, teams are required to disclose to each other in connection with trades any information in their possession or control about a player’s prior injuries, illnesses, or other health conditions that could affect the player’s ability to play NBA basketball at any point in the future. Green had surgery on his heart in January 2012 and did not play during the 2011-12 season.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-explains-why-the-celtics-awarded-a-pick

This should solve everything. It's mandated that the Thunder MUST disclore all information. They didn't.

thekmp211
06-26-2012, 07:17 PM
who. cares.

xabial
06-26-2012, 07:20 PM
Better than a **** load of Heat threads.

Thank you. Most of the time I see hypothetical bull**** threads, (Not that their all bad) but think this one should make PSD because its actually NBA NEWS.

CEasFiRe
06-26-2012, 07:23 PM
didnt the knicks get screwed with mobley's heart condition but of course stern did nothing about that now did he

xabial
06-26-2012, 07:26 PM
didnt the knicks get screwed with mobley's heart condition but of course stern did nothing about that now did he

Knicks knew he had a heart condition. They traded for him anyway because his LARGE contract expired the year LeBron/Wade/Bosh/Amare became Free Agents ALLOWING the Knicks to bypass Salary Cap Rules and Sign TWO of them. (They got 1) Mobley played an intricate part in the Knicks Financial Flexibility Plan to Sign LeBron. (They Failed.)

In fact Mobley later Sued the Knicks saying they "forced him" to have an "early retirement" after he said and I quote: "The Trade to the Knicks Saved My Life". LMAOOOOOO

The Moral of the Story is that Knicks were Pu**ies for not making Mobley just Sign a Release Waiver to play for them like the Clippers, and Rockets Did. Nice guys finish last...

xabial
06-26-2012, 07:39 PM
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 28 Members and 106 Guests.. Sign Up or Post? ..Lol O_o

Bishnoff
06-26-2012, 07:44 PM

This.

CEasFiRe
06-26-2012, 07:53 PM
Knicks knew he had a heart condition. They traded for him anyway because his LARGE contract expired the year LeBron/Wade/Bosh/Amare became Free Agents ALLOWING the Knicks to bypass Salary Cap Rules and Sign TWO of them. (They got 1) Mobley played an intricate part in the Knicks Financial Flexibility Plan to Sign LeBron. (They Failed.)

In fact Mobley later Sued the Knicks saying they "forced him" to have an "early retirement" after he said and I quote: "The Trade to the Knicks Saved My Life". LMAOOOOOO

The Moral of the Story is that Knicks were Pu**ies for not making Mobley just Sign a Release Waiver to play for them like the Clippers, and Rockets Did. Nice guys finish last...
*******s finish first.. pretty funny book

xabial
06-26-2012, 07:56 PM
*******s finish first.. pretty funny book

Is my Post the "book" your talking about, or is that an actual book. Lol :p

thekmp211
06-26-2012, 07:58 PM
This.

it's called contract law and they violated it. why is this news? is OKC going to rebuild without its 2nd round pick?

Bostondiehard
06-26-2012, 07:59 PM
Exactly depends on the Commissioner.. In hockey the Rangers drafted Alexei Cherepanov, a Very Good prospect who fell only because teams were weary of him leaving Europe to play in the NHL. (He had no pre-existing medical conditions). He was drafted in the First Round in the 2007 Draft as the 17th Overall Pick, but never played one game for the Rangers because He died suddenly in Russia at the tender age of 19.

The Rangers were rewarded with an extra 2nd Round Pick (?) next year, instead of a rightful 1st round pick as compensation for a first round pick's Sudden Death.

Don't agree with the Compensation, but at least they got something.

But back on topic..

Does not seem fair of OKC. They are good at finding Diamonds in the Rough (Ibaka), and the First pick of the 2nd round could have gotten them a steal. I envy OKC's Scouts, and No offense to The Celtics Fans, feel like the Celtics will draft an underachieving player with the early 2nd Round pick in 2013. (31st-34th overall).

You sound dumb.
2011 Marshon Brooks #25 (really should have kept him)
2010 Avery Bradley #19

Struck gold far outside top 10 past 2 years. JuJuan Johnson will develop into a solid player under tutilage of KG (traded for Brooks). What do you base the Celtics drafting a bust on..?

avrpatsfan
06-26-2012, 08:21 PM
Yup. Shouldn't their doctors performed a physical and caught this?
Hmmm, the Celtics must have forgotten to do a physical. :laugh2:

Sssmush
06-26-2012, 08:50 PM
I'd like to see this "case" that the Boston doctors "put together."

And anyway... Boston is going to re-sign Green anyway. What if he becomes an all star?

And what if Perkins becomes a free agent and re-signs in Boston?

It's all kind of nutty, UNLESS you can prove that OKC's doctors willfully lied and misled the Boston medical staff... which would nonetheless still imply that Boston's staff failed to find anything wrong and approved the trade, and also that Green himself lied to Boston and misled the medical staff, in order to be traded.

So... Stern's action is implying that:

1. Boston missed all the red flags and tested him as fit and ready

2. OKC's physicians and trainers willingly misled Boston personnel people, and, I'm assuming, this would all be in signed reports and documents, constituting medical fraud if not malpractice, as Green could easily have died.

3. Green lied to Boston possibly also, if Green knew also. That is to say, that IF anybody knew anything, then maybe Green also knew and willingly misled the Celtics HR staff.

4. Lastly, OKC's front office knew about it all as well, and misled Boston.

It just all seems kooky. I'd really like to hear the reasoning on this. If OKC's doctors willingly misled Boston and generated false medical reports, and possibly even misled Green himself, then this story should be HUGE.

If not, if that didn't happen, then it makes no sense to penalize OKC by taking the 34th pick. I don't see the middle ground here.

This is all done by royal decree now, not vote, no appeal, is that the way things work? Like the NYK Lin abitrator overturn and the CP3 veto? Just whatever feels right becomes law? That the idea?

Raps08-09 Champ
06-26-2012, 08:55 PM
I'd like to see this "case" that the Boston doctors "put together."

And anyway... Boston is going to re-sign Green anyway. What if he becomes an all star?

And what if Perkins becomes a free agent and re-signs in Boston?

It's all kind of nutty, UNLESS you can prove that OKC's doctors willfully lied and misled the Boston medical staff... which would nonetheless still imply that Boston's staff failed to find anything wrong and approved the trade, and also that Green himself lied to Boston and misled the medical staff, in order to be traded.

So... Stern's action is implying that:

1. Boston missed all the red flags and tested him as fit and ready

2. OKC's physicians and trainers willingly misled Boston personnel people, and, I'm assuming, this would all be in signed reports and documents, constituting medical fraud if not malpractice, as Green could easily have died.

3. Green lied to Boston possibly also, if Green knew also. That is to say, that IF anybody knew anything, then maybe Green also knew and willingly misled the Celtics HR staff.

4. Lastly, OKC's front office knew about it all as well, and misled Boston.

It just all seems kooky. I'd really like to hear the reasoning on this. If OKC's doctors willingly misled Boston and generated false medical reports, and possibly even misled Green himself, then this story should be HUGE.

If not, if that didn't happen, then it makes no sense to penalize OKC by taking the 34th pick. I don't see the middle ground here.

This is all done by royal decree now, not vote, no appeal, is that the way things work? Like the NYK Lin abitrator overturn and the CP3 veto? Just whatever feels right becomes law? That the idea?

Did Stern hurt your feelings?

MadBomber
06-26-2012, 09:04 PM
boston's doctors didn't do their due diligence. I don't know how they can blame the thunder for this.

+1

xabial
06-26-2012, 09:05 PM
You sound dumb.
2011 Marshon Brooks #25 (really should have kept him)
2010 Avery Bradley #19

Struck gold far outside top 10 past 2 years. JuJuan Johnson will develop into a solid player under tutilage of KG (traded for Brooks). What do you base the Celtics drafting a bust on..?

What Great Evidence, and Sample Size You Have. You Truly Have Convinced Me. I Love your "You Sound Dumb Comment". The Logic it provided to your argument was irreplaceable.

Celtics Don't have High 2nd Round Picks. Their Used To Winning Their Division Year after Year. Celtics don't have much expertise Drafting Wise. They Draft So Low year after year. But, they have one of the Games Most Talented Veterans. Outside of Pierce, the Celtics were built through byTrades For Veterans. The Thunder were Built through Purely Drafts. (Kevin Durant #2 Overall 2007 Draft). (Russel Westbrook #4 Overall 2008 Draft). ( Serge Ibaka 24th Overall 2008 Draft) (James Harden #3 Overall 2009 Draft) Therefore logically, the advantage of Drafting goes to the Thunder over the Celtics.

I was not talking about the 18th and 25th overall. Thats a Bit To High. I was talking about 31st-34th (Early Second Round, But No matter, if you want to go there since Early 2nd Round Picks are Rare...)

Notable Players Drafted In Late First Rounds By Thunder

Rodrigue Beaubois #25 2009 Draft-- Highly Regarded Mavs Prospect. Most Likely Future Heir to PG after Kidd.

Serge Ibaka #24 2008 Draft -- (Nothing Needs To Be Said about Him. Can Get 10+ Blocks In One Game Like Its Nothing)

Eric Bledsoe- Good Bench Player for the Clips-- #18 Overall 2010.

OKC Has Hit a Home Run In every Draft Pick In Mid To Late First Round Picks In all Picks Since 2007. Their a Much better drafting Team then the Celtics. One of the Rare Teams to Be Almost Completely Built Through The Draft. (Minus Kendrick Perkins, but He's sucking and an Amnesty Clause Candidate.) Celtics Were Built Almost Completely By Trade. (Traded For 4-5 Players, Draft Picks, and Cash, for KG). Traded the #5 Overall Pick in the 2007 draft (Turned Out To Be Jeff Green LoL) For Ray Allen. I think only Late Pick By a Celtic is Big Baby at 35 Overall and he was drafted by the Thunder (then Sonics) and traded to the Celtics in the Ray allen Trade. LoL.

I could make a Case that Thunder is the Best Drafting Team in The NBA. Some Teams Make the NBA Lottery (Top-5) Year after Year, and still find ways to **** it Up for 10, 15 maybe 20 years. Thunder Turned From a 20-62 Team in 2008 (WITH DURANT), to a 55-27 Team in 2010. They manage to Draft the Perfect Complimentary Players to surround Durant, and avoid a Potential LeBron Situation (I'm not going there..) by Having Durant Agree to Sign a 5 year Maximum Extension, the earliest he was eligible.

Nobody is perfect but Their Scouting Department are one of the best teams that Have the ability to Turn that potential early (Maybe 1st) 2013 2nd Round Draft Pick Into someone Serviceable. (2nd Round Picks are usually Busts). Heck knowing them, they'd probably package that early 2nd Rounder with another pick to Trade Up and grab Someone Special.

Whose Most Likely To Draft a Better Player with an Early 2nd Round Draft Pick?
Thunder Or Celtics?

Nikeman
06-26-2012, 09:18 PM
Honestly this is nbd.

The Thunder's 2nd round pick will equate to someone who probably won't even make the team for Boston.

Kyben36
06-26-2012, 09:29 PM
is it just me or is Stern mad with power, he vetos the CP3 trade, vetos NYs Lyn thing (nevery really read up or cared about that one) and now he is sending teams draft picks to other teams. is it just me or is stern ruining the league.

bagwell368
06-26-2012, 09:49 PM
to The Celtics Fans, feel like the Celtics will draft an underachieving player with the early 2nd Round pick in 2013. (31st-34th overall).

Rubbish. Ainge has had very good results in his time in the NBA - top 2-3 for sure. Go look it up.

bagwell368
06-26-2012, 09:50 PM
Honestly this is nbd.

The Thunder's 2nd round pick will equate to someone who probably won't even make the team for Boston.

Probably, but that's not the pick the Celts are getting.

Raps08-09 Champ
06-26-2012, 09:51 PM
is it just me or is Stern mad with power, he vetos the CP3 trade, vetos NYs Lyn thing (nevery really read up or cared about that one) and now he is sending teams draft picks to other teams. is it just me or is stern ruining the league.

Not really.

He was right in 2 of the 3. He's the owner so he can veto a Paul deal and OKC technically broke the rules.

bagwell368
06-26-2012, 09:51 PM
This.

This what? Deals have been reversed in pro sports (not just hoops) before, and they will be again.

xabial
06-26-2012, 10:02 PM

Haha Let me explain the Lin thing in as easy, and brief way as Possible...

A Team that has a High Payroll Is NOT ALLOWED to Spend ANYTHING SIGNIFICANT on any FREE AGENT. (ONLY Exception To This Rule Is If that Player Has "BIRD RIGHTS". Then Team Can Resign Him REGARDLESS)

1) Knicks Pick Up Lin off waivers off Rockets. Kid Starts Linsanity becomes a sensation and Leads them to the Playoffs even with Carmelo and Amare Injured.

2) Seasons Over.

3) Stern Says "Lins a Free Agent and LOSES Bird Rights because Knicks picked Lin up off Waivers."

4) Knicks Says "If a player gets traded he keeps his Bird Rights, so why can't that player keep them If he's picked up through Waivers? His Contract STAYS THE SAME EITHER WAY!" (Referring To Lin)

5) Knicks Go To Court With Stern arguing Lin should Keep Bird Rights, b/c getting Picked up off waivers shouldn't take away a his Bird Rights.

6) Knicks Win The Case. Judge Rules Lin Keeps his Bird Rights.

7) Stern Becomes a ****, and Won't go down without a Fight and Appeals The Court Ruling, that originally ruled in the Knicks Favor. No Veto is Involved. Stern Is Appealing The Court Decision by basically taking the Knicks to Court...a SECOND TIME.. >.>

If Knicks Win The Case They Can Resign Jeremy Lin, Steve Novak through Bird Rights and Still be allowed to spend a Reasonable $$ on Other Player Like Kidd/Nash/Felton..idk.

If Knicks Lose the Case They Can Resign Jeremy, But Not be Allowed to Sign Steve Novak, or ANY OTHER High Profile Free Agent. The REST of the unsigned Roster Spots are then Filled With Players playing for the Veteran Minimum.. ($1.2M :pity: )

arkanian215
06-26-2012, 10:06 PM
0a

Raps08-09 Champ
06-27-2012, 02:19 AM
No. It's called not being dumb. This isn't some store where you get something off the shelf. OKC has medical records on all of their players. If Boston failed to ask for these records or verify these records, that's their fault.

Boston doesn't need to ask. It's MANDATORY they send all information to the opposition.

Just like how the prosecutor is MANDATED to disclose all evidence and information to the defense that can alter the case, OKC doctors are MANDATED to disclose all evidence and information that can alter the trade.

Articles online suggest that OKC tried to hide the fact that he had some heart issues. It's not as simple as just asking and receiving.

It's really as simple as that. Not sure how you can't understand plain words.

bmd1101
06-27-2012, 02:25 AM
Who cares? This will have 0 effect on OKC. This is just on of the last pathetic moves Stern makes on his way out

Where is Stern going?

Sssmush
06-27-2012, 03:15 AM
Haha Let me explain the Lin thing in as easy, and brief way as Possible...

A Team that has a High Payroll Is NOT ALLOWED to Spend ANYTHING SIGNIFICANT on any FREE AGENT. (ONLY Exception To This Rule Is If that Player Has "BIRD RIGHTS". Then Team Can Resign Him REGARDLESS)

1) Knicks Pick Up Lin off waivers off Rockets. Kid Starts Linsanity becomes a sensation and Leads them to the Playoffs even with Carmelo and Amare Injured.

2) Seasons Over.

3) Stern Says "Lins a Free Agent and LOSES Bird Rights because Knicks picked Lin up off Waivers."

4) Knicks Says "If a player gets traded he keeps his Bird Rights, so why can't that player keep them If he's picked up through Waivers? His Contract STAYS THE SAME EITHER WAY!" (Referring To Lin)

5) Knicks Go To Court With Stern arguing Lin should Keep Bird Rights, b/c getting Picked up off waivers shouldn't take away a his Bird Rights.

6) Knicks Win The Case. Judge Rules Lin Keeps his Bird Rights.

7) Stern Becomes a ****, and Won't go down without a Fight and Appeals The Court Ruling, that originally ruled in the Knicks Favor. No Veto is Involved. Stern Is Appealing The Court Decision by basically taking the Knicks to Court...a SECOND TIME.. >.>

If Knicks Win The Case They Can Resign Jeremy Lin, Steve Novak through Bird Rights and Still be allowed to spend a Reasonable $$ on Other Player Like Kidd/Nash/Felton..idk.

If Knicks Lose the Case They Can Resign Jeremy, But Not be Allowed to Sign Steve Novak, or ANY OTHER High Profile Free Agent. The REST of the unsigned Roster Spots are then Filled With Players playing for the Veteran Minimum.. ($1.2M :pity: )

Yeah, what youre missing, what's wonky there, is that the LEAGUE set up and agreed to binding arbitration. Not only did the league agree to the arbitration, but it essentially held all the cards in setting up the terms of the arbitration and selecting the arbitrator.

Then, the arbitration goes "against" them (wtf? what does that even mean? it's a league arbitrator) so then they APPEAL the arbitrator's ruling, which in this case more or less means vetoing it, because you can bet the league won't "lose" the second time with the new arbitrator they select. So they set the rules of the game, then change it when it doesn't go their way, which shows that it was just a sham.

You can also bet that it was some of the other disgruntled owners who raised a stink and led to this being "appealed", or what in reality "repealed."

/that's it

And the OKC thing is complete non sequitur, that seems like something completely new