PDA

View Full Version : Drexler on Magic

eibbor
06-26-2012, 06:09 PM
I hadn't seen a post about this. If it had been posted, sorry, just remove this. Here is a quote from Drexler about magic from a book about the Dream Team, called 'Dream Team,' by Jack McCullum.

"Magic was always..." And Drexler goes into a decent Magic impression: "'Come on, Clyde, come on, Clyde, get with me, get with me,' and making all that noise. And, really, he couldn't play much by that time. He couldn't guard his shadow."

"But you have to have to understand what was going on then. Everybody kept waiting for Magic to die. Every time he'd run up the court everybody would feel sorry for the guy, and he'd get all that benefit of the doubt. Magic came across like, 'All this is my stuff.' Really? Get outta here, dude. He was on the declining end of his career."

Drexler had played exquisitely in the 1992 All-Star Game in Orlando, although the MVP award eventually went to Magic, who had been added by Commissioner Stern as a special thirteenth player to the Western Conference roster. "If we all knew Magic was going to live this long, I would've gotten the MVP of that game, and Magic probably wouldn't have made the Olympic team."

Bitter, yeah. Harsh, yeah. Real, yeah. Crazy.

Source(s)

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gameon/post/2012/06/dream-team-clyde-drexler-thought-magic-was-going-to-die/1

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/clyde-drexler-dream-team-era-magic-johnson-everybody-194908503--nba.html

http://deadspin.com/5921227/clyde-drexler-on-the-dream-team-everybody-kept-waiting-for-magic-to-die

waveycrockett
06-26-2012, 06:12 PM
It's about time someone finally comes out and says it. Magic Johnson's biggest fan is Magic.

pd7631
06-26-2012, 06:13 PM
Lost a ton of respect for Clyde because of this. Even if he did feel this way, why make it public? What does he gain from this?

eibbor
06-26-2012, 06:16 PM
Lost a ton of respect for Clyde because of this. Even if he did feel this way, why make it public? What does he gain from this?

I'm not sure. Like I said, it makes him look bitter. However, it's so real. He wouldn't say it if he didn't believe it imo. Crazy though. Especially with all the Dream Team hype after the doc.

waveycrockett
06-26-2012, 06:18 PM
Why? Magic talks like he is god. He called Westbrook the worst PG EVER to play in the Finals. Dude is a joke.

John Walls Era
06-26-2012, 06:19 PM
Bit harsh? Yup. But I'm sure some others feel this way and I like how honest he was.

eibbor
06-26-2012, 06:21 PM
Why? Magic talks like he is god. He called Westbrook the worst PG EVER to play in the Finals. Dude is a joke.

Magic is far from a joke.

eibbor
06-26-2012, 06:22 PM
Bit harsh? Yup. But I'm sure some others feel this way and I like how honest he was.

Can't wait to hear Barkleys opinion lol

waveycrockett
06-26-2012, 06:23 PM
Magic is far from a joke.

As an analyst? Yea he is

Avenged
06-26-2012, 06:24 PM
Lol he lost the ASG MVP to Magic :cry: give me a break.

eibbor
06-26-2012, 06:25 PM
As an analyst? Yea he is

That job almost requires it. Shaq and Barkley aren't on TNT for their knowledge ya know.

eibbor
06-26-2012, 06:27 PM

Guess it still burns his *** lol I just want to hear opinions from other dream teamers after this.

Bishnoff
06-26-2012, 06:27 PM
Never liked Drexler as a person. He's the most biased commentator going around too.

Kashmir13579
06-26-2012, 06:29 PM

Was that back when the ASG MVP actually meant somehting though?

Teeboy1487
06-26-2012, 06:29 PM
Sour grapes? My respect for Drexler is completely gone.

waveycrockett
06-26-2012, 06:30 PM
That job almost requires it. Shaq and Barkley aren't on TNT for their knowledge ya know.

Difference is Barkley and Shaq try to be clowns. Magic actually believes the crap he says.

eibbor
06-26-2012, 06:32 PM
Difference is Barkley and Shaq try to be clowns. Magic actually believes the crap he says.

Possibly. Being a great player doesn't make you a good analyst for sure... or even judge of talent, coach, GM or owner lol

KingPosey
06-26-2012, 06:32 PM
I thought magic was still pretty ****ing good lol

averaging 15 7 6, playing only 32 games after not playing for 4 years and only starting 9 of those and playing under 30 mpg? Thats ****ing good basketball.

Iron24th
06-26-2012, 06:34 PM
Move on clyde.

eibbor
06-26-2012, 06:37 PM
I thought magic was still pretty ****ing good lol

averaging 15 7 6, playing only 32 games after not playing for 4 years and only starting 9 of those and playing under 30 mpg? Thats ****ing good basketball.

He was great from what I saw. I was only 16 then, but if you are on a team that beats the world by 40 or so with a washed out scrub waiting to die... I'll take that scrub on my team lol

RaiderLakersA's
06-26-2012, 06:43 PM
All this said over an ASG MVP? Hilarious.

He is right, it was at the tale end of Magic's career after he had been diagnosed. It doesn't take away from what Magic did in his youth and prime. Thanks for the confessional Glide. Now can we move on?

smith&wesson
06-26-2012, 06:44 PM
What does it really say about drexler as a player if magic won mvp over him even when he was on the decline ? magic was that good! yes he really was!! dont give me that sympathy crap magic owned that game period!

Hellcrooner
06-26-2012, 07:06 PM
Hey clyde.

5 -1( and by going to nut hugh hakeem).

Deal with it.

eibbor
06-26-2012, 07:14 PM
Hey clyde.

Deal with it.

translation please

GoPacers33
06-26-2012, 07:27 PM
sour grapes? My respect for drexler is completely gone.

x2

Chronz
06-26-2012, 07:34 PM
LMFAO , *****ing about an All-Star game MVP? One of the most heart warming stories in NBA history? WOW

Besides he was wrong, Magic was still good enough to post a PER of 21 at age 38, imagine if he was younger..... Clyde should STFU, and I love Clyde, but he wasnt better than even an old Magic.

eibbor
06-26-2012, 07:46 PM
LMFAO , *****ing about an All-Star game MVP? One of the most heart warming stories in NBA history? WOW

Besides he was wrong, Magic was still good enough to post a PER of 21 at age 38, imagine if he was younger..... Clyde should STFU, and I love Clyde, but he wasnt better than even an old Magic.

This

Drexler was never at any point in Magics neighborhood

GrumpyOldMan
06-26-2012, 07:49 PM
Magic in my opinion is one of the 2 best point guards ever, but at that point he was in decline. I still think he was good enough to play on that team, and if Clyde didn't want Magic to be a vocal leader maybe he should have stepped up and taken it.
The part about waiting for him to die is a sad truth about the times. AIDS and HIV were relatively unknown by all of us back then. We all thought it was a death sentence. Drexler should have chosen his words better though.

LakersMaster24
06-26-2012, 08:14 PM
Silly Clyde.

bootsy
06-26-2012, 08:52 PM
I kind of agree with Clyde here, Magic is one of the most egotistical people I've seen on TV. Dude talked about himself and his accomplishments more than any analyst or studio analyst I've ever seen. 'Well I remember when I did this or 'when I won this award' 'when I played for the championship or won the championship'... and on and on. We get it man you were a great player but I hardly ever hear Terry Bradshaw, Michael Irvin, Troy Aikman and other great players that have moved on to a broadcast career pump themselves up more than Magic does. I got so sick of it during the playoffs. Especially when Wilbon kept sucking him off every playoff game 'well look what you did Magic, you were so great'. Ughhhh shutup already.

NYKalltheway
06-26-2012, 08:54 PM
He's not "crying" about the all star MVP ****! All he's saying is that since Magic's diagnosis of HIV everyone would just.. allow him to play much better than he could, not guard him tightly (some people were even scared since HIV was considered contagious!!!!) and all that.
To rephrase what Drexler is saying: "If people knew exactly what Magic's condition was and that it wasn't lethal, he would have declined real fast and it'd show" - last part goes to stats people bringing up PER etc.

Nobody said anything negative about the guy's prime. He's one of the GOAT and 1-2 seasons do not change that no matter what.

MadBomber
06-26-2012, 09:10 PM
kids will be kids, i expected more from Drexler. Let's move on.

NBAfan4life
06-26-2012, 09:35 PM
Was that back when the ASG MVP actually meant somehting though?

Did they ever mean something?

One of the biggest snubs I ever seen was Kobe's first all star game. MVP was gonna Kobe or Jordan. This was supposed to be Jordans last year so they benched Kobe the entire fourth quarter. I was heated

blastmasta26
06-26-2012, 09:46 PM
He's not "crying" about the all star MVP ****! All he's saying is that since Magic's diagnosis of HIV everyone would just.. allow him to play much better than he could, not guard him tightly (some people were even scared since HIV was considered contagious!!!!) and all that.
To rephrase what Drexler is saying: "If people knew exactly what Magic's condition was and that it wasn't lethal, he would have declined real fast and it'd show" - last part goes to stats people bringing up PER etc.

Nobody said anything negative about the guy's prime. He's one of the GOAT and 1-2 seasons do not change that no matter what.
Yeah, that's the crux of it. Pretty interesting to say the least.

Chronz
06-26-2012, 10:52 PM

LMFAO we know what he said, its obvious hes not talking about PRIME Magic. Still doesnt change anything "stats people" have said.

jneises21
06-27-2012, 12:02 AM

You don't know what your talking about. He said Westbrook played the worst half of basketball from a PG in the finals. Which probably wasn't too far off without looking back

Federal Reserve
06-27-2012, 12:13 AM
I am sure it can be argued that if Magic Johnson didn't have HIV, he would be considered a top 10-15 player, at best. Most people fell sorry for him, which led him to receive much sympathy from media, fans and even other players.

StinkEye
06-27-2012, 12:27 AM
It sounds like Clyde was just trying to be honest about the topic that he was asked to talk about :shrug: Lets not demonize the guy. Some of you guys act like you'd rather read some heartfelt BS or some cliche crap instead of how Drexler really felt about it.

StinkEye
06-27-2012, 12:29 AM
Hey clyde.

Deal with it.

How many seasons did Magic play with Kareem?

LakersMaster24
06-27-2012, 01:28 AM
I am sure it can be argued that if Magic Johnson didn't have HIV, he would be considered a top 10-15 player, at best. Most people fell sorry for him, which led him to receive much sympathy from media, fans and even other players.

:facepalm:

So 1980-1990 just gets lost in history?

The goods
06-27-2012, 01:43 AM
I don't care if he's right somethings you don't say,and what's the purpose of him saying this? I guess with the dream documentary out he felt like knowbody talked about him being apart of it, magic was the first superstar that wanted to join the dream team, true he couldn't guard quick PG's,but theirs no way you have MJ,barkely,Ewing,bird,and Malone on a team co-existing without the best PG the league has ever seen.
Sorry drexler but in 10 years knowbody will remember you I had respect for you but that's gone now

The goods
06-27-2012, 01:45 AM

Magic won 3 with him and 2 without him if I'm not mistaken how many did Clyde when without hakeem?

NYMetropolitans
06-27-2012, 01:48 AM
Really strange comments by Clyde, but makes you think a little about Magic...was he a jerk?

BigEric
06-27-2012, 02:03 AM
Yeah I really don't see what Drexler said wrong? Sympathy for a guy who's a millionaire that got a disease from not being careful when ****ing the thousands he did and is living through it? Boohoo. I agree with Stinkeye and the posters who said he's his biggest cheerleader. Drexler answered a question honestly about the precisious Magic Johnson.... have Drexlers head because EVERYONE has to bow down to him. Let your greatness speak for you, once you start praising yourself as much as he does it kinda takes away from the greatness. You don't see Lebron talking about himself any chance he gets on the screen.

In my humble opinion.. Shaq was a better player and seems just as selfcentered but even HE doesn't talk about himself as much as Magic.

LakersMaster24
06-27-2012, 02:03 AM
Magic won 3 with him and 2 without him if I'm not mistaken how many did Clyde when without hakeem?

Magic won all his rings with KAJ on the Lakers. But thing is for most of those title runs it was:

#1 Magic
#2 Kareem

and in later runs it was...

#1 Magic
#2 Worthy
#3 KAJ

Sadds The Gr8
06-27-2012, 02:33 AM
Drexler's an idiot.

MJ-BULLS
06-27-2012, 02:47 AM
He's mad, and he's a hater. drinking that haterade.

3ballbomber
06-27-2012, 02:51 AM
Everybody kept waiting for Magic to die

keep it classy, Drexler :speechless:

naps
06-27-2012, 03:28 AM
He said Westbrook played the worst half of basketball from a PG in the finals. Which probably wasn't too far off without looking back

To be fair, it's not even close. Really, not even close. I'll give you the latest example: Remember Mike Bibby was starting for Miami Heat in 2011 NBA finals? Anyone saw him play can NEVER say Westbrook played worse, even if that's for a quarter. It's NOT close at all.
Magic gets away with a lot of crap he says on TV just because he's a monster resume...The people he's with (Wilbon, Brossurd, Barry) none has the gut to call Magic out. They are busy sucking Magic's dick during the entire time. Not a fan of TNT show either but that show is much much better than that ESPN crap.

3rdCoastFan11
06-27-2012, 03:52 AM

This guy has it right.

Bruno
06-27-2012, 04:04 AM
this is really interesting to me. if Magic had become as mediocre as Drexler proclaims, then why was it so important for MJ to prove that he was 'top dog' on the Olympics team, why did MJ take so much joy from beating Magics squad in the infamous scrimmage? Jordan was the premiere competitor, surly the kill wouldn't have been as rewarding if he too believed that Magic had dropped off as much as Drexler claims here.

Anyone know what I'm saying? Beating Magic seemed like a huge deal for MJ, I don't know if it would have been as important to MJ as it was/is if he too believed that Magic was a shell of his former self. I doubt MJ would be delusional just for the sake of his own ego here. or would he?

maybe there's some truth to what Clydes saying, but the timing seems a bit weird. these also seem like bold words for someone who seemed so reserved and humble in the dream team documentary. was he edited out?

off topics- but for those who watched the 1992 finals live- did MJ spank Drexler? was it even close to being a rivalry? did drexler ever have enough of a mean streak to believe that he could top MJ on any given night? thanks.

Lakerfan8032
06-27-2012, 05:28 AM

Is this a joke or are you that ****ing stupid? He is unquestionably the greatest point guard ever and one of the five greatest players ever. Dude played in 9 finals during his 12 seasons (not including his half season over four years later) and won five of them. He is the only player to win the Final Four Most Outstanding Player and the Finals MVP in consecutive years (and that will probably never happen again). He was a legend before the 1990's even started.

People need to remember that the Dream Team was less then a year after all the HIV **** started. It wasn't two or three years after. His announcement was November 7, 1991. Dream Team was summer of 1992. He was still on his game. He may have been on the back end of his prime but was still an elite player when he retired. He did take a less than stellar Lakers team to the Finals that last season, upsetting Clyde's Blazers to get there.

And if someone would check the box score of that all-star game Magic outscored Clyde, had more assists, shot better from the field and put on one hell of a show. He totally deserved that MVP, it was definitely not given to him as some type of sympathy.

The Dream Teamers pitying him I can't comment on but he was undoubtedly one of the elite greatest players of all time and that is beyond doubt. Did you ever even see Magic play. Greatness and winner describe him perfectly.

Bruno
06-27-2012, 05:37 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7w64fbqYQY&feature=related

I award you no points, and my god have mercy on your soul.

Bruno
06-27-2012, 05:39 AM
Is this a joke or are you that ****ing stupid? He is unquestionably the greatest point guard ever and one of the five greatest players ever. Dude played in 9 finals during his 12 seasons (not including his half season over four years later) and won five of them. He is the only player to win the Final Four Most Outstanding Player and the Finals MVP in consecutive years (and that will probably never happen again). He was a legend before the 1990's even started.

People need to remember that the Dream Team was less then a year after all the HIV **** started. It wasn't two or three years after. His announcement was November 7, 1991. Dream Team was summer of 1992. He was still on his game. He may have been on the back end of his prime but was still an elite player when he retired. He did take a less than stellar Lakers team to the Finals that last season, upsetting Clyde's Blazers to get there.

And if someone would check the box score of that all-star game Magic outscored Clyde, had more assists, shot better from the field and put on one hell of a show. He totally deserved that MVP, it was definitely not given to him as some type of sympathy.

The Dream Teamers pitying him I can't comment on but he was undoubtedly one of the elite greatest players of all time and that is beyond doubt. Did you ever even see Magic play. Greatness and winner describe him perfectly.

he's probably a teen who was a decade and a half too young to even see Magic on his last legs. i still can't decide if he's a troll or if he believes half the absurd things he posts.

Lakerfan8032
06-27-2012, 05:41 AM
he's probably a teen who was a decade too young to even see Magic on his last legs.

Thank you. He was clearly just straight great. A legend of the game.

Bruno
06-27-2012, 05:42 AM
Thank you. He was clearly just straight great. A legend of the game.

it's not up for debate.

reading posts like that makes me want to quit the forum.

MadBomber
06-27-2012, 07:57 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7w64fbqYQY&feature=related

I award you no points, and my god have mercy on your soul.

hahaha...classic

Hellcrooner
06-27-2012, 08:17 AM

With Prime Kareem?

kblo247
06-27-2012, 08:17 AM
Truth not ignorance in the fact guys then feared him sweating, spitting, or bleeding on them 20 years ago. Barkley and Malone openly questioned the thoguht of it then too when he was invited to the asg and team usa. Little was known about HIV and AIDs at the time and the guys had every right to not want to endanger their own health, careers, and their families by not wanting Magic on the team. The fans took pity and team usa wanted to market his name, but most players didn't want to risk getting what he had and rightfully so at the time almost 2 decades ago.

The fact would follow Magic in his comeback as Van Exel had to be sat down and admittedly educated on what he had back in 95 before agreeing to play with them by his own admission on a FSN documentary because he just didn't know what HIV was fully. That couple with Magics attitude and mouth why he butted heads with guys in the 95 team and didn't last as a a coach makes it hard for guys to want to risk playing with him back then.

I can't blame Clyde for feeling that way. Back then guys made less, had shorter windows, worst medical advances and health care. It is natural for a guy to be uneasy when not enough is known about Aids and HIV to not want to risk their own health, livelihood, or possibly pass something on their family,

Dankster
06-27-2012, 08:35 AM
Well I don't like the fact that Drexler is taking jabs at my favorite player of all time, but some of what he said isn't entirely off based. If anyone saw Magic Johnson in the mid 80's and compared him to, say, 1991 in the year when Chicago won their first title (played LAL in the finals,) his game did drop a little bit, but I think moreso it was just the lack of talent around him compared to those 80's powerhouse teams.

His game was never predicated on speed although he was deceptively quick in fastbreak plays, but he did lose a step as he got older.

Clyde just sounds like a bitter old man. Magic was a great choice for the Olympics and even fresh into retirement was considered one of the most recognizable faces in the world, so it made sense for his inclusion to the team.

AntiG
06-27-2012, 11:35 AM
thing is, this is taken out of context... Clyde could have been saying this with a smirk, and/or was just trying to paint the picture how the lockerroom was at the time that it wasn't always this perfect picture and that Magic tended to annoy the hell out of the other guys with his personality, and with the way people felt around HIV 20 years ago. You tend to say things like this not thinking about how people would blow it up like we see on this thread.

Stress
06-27-2012, 12:06 PM
Props to Drexler for speaking his mind.
It doesn't happen often in sports anymore.
You have to be competitive to be a pro-athlete. Clyde still has that bitter taste in his mouth.

You can call him an idiot, classless or whatever.
He's just showing his competitive nature.

SteveNash
06-27-2012, 04:20 PM
Kind of true. AIDS Magic was kind of like all those "heartwarming" stories where some high school lets the local ****** run in for a touchdown.

IIISSKiLL
06-27-2012, 04:36 PM
Did they ever mean something?

One of the biggest snubs I ever seen was Kobe's first all star game. MVP was gonna Kobe or Jordan. This was supposed to be Jordans last year so they benched Kobe the entire fourth quarter. I was heated

The year Vince Carter gave Jordan the starting role ? I don't remember much from that game but I think Pierce, and Walker were the ones upset that they were benched.. They gave Jordan 2 or3 chances with Marion guarding him for the winning shot and he finally hit it, then Kobe hit one right back.. I don't remember Kobe on the bench but I could be wrong

kblo247
06-27-2012, 09:49 PM
The year Vince Carter gave Jordan the starting role ? I don't remember much from that game but I think Pierce, and Walker were the ones upset that they were benched.. They gave Jordan 2 or3 chances with Marion guarding him for the winning shot and he finally hit it, then Kobe hit one right back.. I don't remember Kobe on the bench but I could be wrong
He's talking 98 when Kobe, Jones, Van Exel, and Shaq all represented the Lakers on the western all star team. Kobe and MJ dueled and Kobe was benched that 4th. They thought that was MJs last run back then