PDA

View Full Version : 5th Annual PSD Player Rankings #4 PG In The NBA? (Volume: V)

Mile High Champ
06-26-2012, 01:42 PM
Hey guys, Some of you may remember that for the last four years I have conducted a poll at the end of the season that had PSD users vote for the top 10 players at each position. The season is now over and the Heat have been crowned NBA champs which means its time to kick off the off-season player rankings.

A lot has changed since last season. Lebron was labelled by some as Choke Artist in the clutch and now this year had one of the greatest finals performances in recent memory. Let start the discussion since lots has changed since the start of last season. Please TRY AND VOTE FOR THE BEST PLAYER AND DON'T BE A HOMER. I will leave the poll open for one day and than we can carry on to the next best player at that position. I will add more players after each round. I have also included the results of those last 4 years so everyone can see how much things have changed...Enjoy.

REMEMBER this is based on who is the best player, not the player who has the potential to be the best

2012 Off-Season PSD PG Rankings

1) Chris Paul
2) Derrick Rose
3) Russell Westbrook
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)
9)
10)

2011 Off-Season PSD PG Rankings

1) Chris Paul
2) Derrick Rose
3) Deron Williams
4) Russell Westbrook
5) Steve Nash
6) Rajon Rondo
7) Tony Parker
8) Jason Kidd
9) Chauncey Billups
10) Stephen Curry

2010 Off-Season PSD PG Rankings
1) Deron Williams
2) Chris Paul
3) Steve Nash
4) Rajon Rondo
5) Derrick Rose
6) Chauncey Billups
7) Russel Westbrook
8) Tony Parker
9) Jason Kidd
10) Tyreke Evans

2009 Off-Season PSD PG Rankings
1) Chris Paul
2) Deron Williams
3) Chauncey Billups
4) Tony Parker
5) Steve Nash
6) Derrick Rose
7) Devin Harris
8) Rajon Rondo
9) Jose Calderon
10) Jason Kidd

2008 Off-Season PSD PG Rankings
1) Chris Paul
2) Steve Nash
3) Deron Williams
4) Baron Davis
5) Tony Parker
6) Jason Kidd
7) Chauncey Billups
8) Gilbert Arenas
9) Jose Calderon
10) Andre Miller

Chacarron
06-26-2012, 01:43 PM
Tony Parker.

Mile High Champ
06-26-2012, 01:43 PM
Tony Parker has my vote here after Westbrook went off the board last poll.

Kashmir13579
06-26-2012, 01:45 PM
Gotta get Parker off the poll here.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
06-26-2012, 01:50 PM
It should be Deron, but Rondo's going to get it here.

NYMetros
06-26-2012, 01:50 PM
Parker had the better year but going forward I'd rather have Dwill as my PG. It's not his fault his supporting cast sucked. Put him on SA and I think he'd be just as efficient if not more efficient than Parker.

Swashcuff
06-26-2012, 01:52 PM
With the post season Rodno had he really made a considerable push here. If he could somehow maintain that level of play on a consistent basis during the regular season he'd have a great case for the best PG in the league.

Green_Monster
06-26-2012, 02:09 PM
Deron Williams, but it looks like he's not going to win.

Robby Cano
06-26-2012, 02:10 PM
Rondo....

Could've made a case for 1 and 2.

SETS UP TEAMMATES.
Scores when needed.
Can run an offense.
Best rebounding point guard in the league.

Can somebody tell me why he isn't number one?

He led the league in assists for christs sake. He was the one who brought the Celtics to the palyoffs.

Catfish1314
06-26-2012, 02:24 PM
Parker. For ****'s sake.

Chronz
06-26-2012, 03:12 PM
This is so tough. Parker played brilliantly all year and IMO tailed off abit in the playoffs. Rondo sucked for half the year but definitely outplayed TP in the playoffs. On one hand its becoming somewhat of a trend throughout TP's career but at the same time Rondo was making jumpers he has never made consistently so his stretch could be similarly flukey.

Edit) NVM going Rondo.

JWO35
06-26-2012, 03:17 PM
Rondo should be 3...

Antipod
06-26-2012, 03:25 PM
this one is going to be close

b@llhog24
06-26-2012, 03:27 PM
Rondo....

SETS UP TEAMMATES.
Scores when needed.
Can run an offense.

He led the league in assists for christs sake. He was the one who brought the Celtics to the palyoffs.

Because Chris Paul plays in the Nba.

Parker. For ****'s sake.

:clap:

Hustlenomics
06-26-2012, 03:30 PM
Rondo

GoPacers33
06-26-2012, 03:32 PM
Rondo or Parker

Swashcuff
06-26-2012, 03:34 PM
Rondo....

SETS UP TEAMMATES.

So does Chris Paul and Steve Nash

Scores when needed.

Everyon that goes ahead of Rondo would be better scorers. He really doesn't score when needed he scores when he's having a good night from the field.

Can run an offense.

They all can but no one does it better than Steve Nash and Chris Paul.

Actually despite being smaller Kyle Lowry is actually better.

Because Chris Paul is :shrug:

He led the league in assists for christs sake.

That's makes his statistically one of the best if not the best passer not the best player at the PG.

He was the one who brought the Celtics to the palyoffs.

Actually if one player could be selected as most instrumental in the Celtics success this past season it would be Kevin Garnett and not Rondo. They Celtics would only go as far as he is able to carry them though. A solid case could be made that he is their best player.

Ebbs
06-26-2012, 03:42 PM
Deron
Parker
Rondo

You can't lean on Rondo for scoring like the other two if your cast is playing poorly.

Hustlenomics
06-26-2012, 04:00 PM
Everyon that goes ahead of Rondo would be better scorers. He really doesn't score when needed he scores when he's having a good night from the field.

and thats when they need him too

They all can but no one does it better than Steve Nash and Chris Paul.

Actually despite being smaller Kyle Lowry is actually better.

Lowry averaged less rebounds than rondo and played less games and rondo is a better offensive rebounder than him

Actually if one player could be selected as most instrumental in the Celtics success this past season it would be Kevin Garnett and not Rondo. They Celtics would only go as far as he is able to carry them though. A solid case could be made that he is their best player.
Kevin Garnett can't even play enough minutes to get all the credit for carrying the Celtics. They go as far as Rondo takes them thats why he had the highest WS in the playoffs for the C's

Hawkeye15
06-26-2012, 04:05 PM
toss up between Parker and Rondo for me. I am going Parker, he dominated all year, Rondo for only a portion. Rondo goes next for me, if he doesn't go here.

Swashcuff
06-26-2012, 04:09 PM
and thats when they need him too

Actually they need him to play at the level he played at during this post season for the entirety of a season. Then we can look at the Celts as legit title contenders.

Lowry averaged less rebounds than rondo and played less games and rondo is a better offensive rebounder than him

The poster said Rondo was the best rebounder at the PG. That's incorrect. Both Jason Kidd and Kyle Lowry have better TRB%s (known as the best metric there is to gauge rebounding production) during last season than Rajon Rondo. The fact that he's a better offensive rebounder than they are is admirable but then one can say based on that theory that Russell Westbrook is also better than Rondo.

Kevin Garnett can't even play enough minutes to get all the credit for carrying the Celtics. They go as far as Rondo takes them thats why he had the highest WS in the playoffs for the C's

No one is giving Garnett all the credit. Rondo's play in the 2nd half of the season a major reason why the Celts played so well but in truth and in fact it was the play of Kevin Garnett which was the biggest difference maker for the Celts this season. Anyone not willing to admit that really isn't being honest with themselves.

Swashcuff
06-26-2012, 04:12 PM
Before anyone gets carried away I am not trying to belittle what Rondo has done I'm seriously considering him here at 4 however I don't think its a travesty by any means that he didn't go #1. I was just pointing out the inconsistencies of the argument of the person who said that Rodno was the best.

ChiSox219
06-26-2012, 04:13 PM
Deron should be #3

unleashthebeast
06-26-2012, 04:16 PM
This better be Parker

Baller1
06-26-2012, 04:16 PM
After Parker's amazing season, it's going to be a shame if he falls out of the top 5.

Jetsguy
06-26-2012, 04:28 PM
Rondo then TP on my board

celtNYpatsHeels
06-26-2012, 04:37 PM
I went TP, but it was a hard choice between him and Williams.

greg_ory_2005
06-26-2012, 05:13 PM
It should be Deron. Too bad his team is crap. Would the Spurs or Celts be worse if they had Deron instead of Parker or Rondo?

Frozenred
06-26-2012, 05:19 PM
Deron Williams. This is really close.

thekmp211
06-26-2012, 05:40 PM
yall forget about steve nash? he needs a little love at this stage.

i picked him, but it's really close between him parker and rondo. age factoring in i guess rondo is my pick but i voted nash cause he's getting tossed aside here for some reason.

deron as well is right there but he's gotta shoot better.

pd7631
06-26-2012, 05:48 PM
Deron Williams

IAmARanger18
06-26-2012, 05:57 PM
Deron Williams here.

StarvingKnick22
06-26-2012, 06:02 PM
Rajon Rondo is the second best point gaurd. WTF why is he second place for 4?!!:mad:

Bruno
06-26-2012, 06:03 PM
this one could go either way. another real tough one.

parker was 5th in regular season MVP voting, but had a drop off in production come playoffs. Rondo was the exact opposite. either one.

i can't get behind the deron vote. it's a vote off reputation, or a vote off assumed future production. he was okay last year, personally, regardless of how good his team was.

jimm120
06-26-2012, 06:06 PM
Again, if people like Parker, Lowry, Jennings, Lawson, and Irving are on the list, then So should JEREMY LIN.

I know I wouldn't vote for him at this spot (nor the next lol) but still deserves to be there to track his progress.

Bruno
06-26-2012, 06:11 PM
Again, if people like Parker, Lowry, Jennings, Lawson, and Irving are on the list, then So should JEREMY LIN.

I know I wouldn't vote for him at this spot (nor the next lol) but still deserves to be there to track his progress.

i like jeremy lin as much as the next guy. but Parker finished 5th in regular season MVP voting. Lin put together a good month of basketball. this post is 1-2 threads pre-mature.

bucketss
06-26-2012, 06:11 PM

only knick fans think Lin is THAT good

jimm120
06-26-2012, 06:12 PM
this one could go either way. another real tough one.

parker was 5th in regular season MVP voting, but had a drop off in production come playoffs. Rondo was the exact opposite. either one.

i can't get behind the deron vote. it's a vote off reputation, or a vote off assumed future production. he was okay last year, personally, regardless of how good his team was.

I believe Rondo should go now. He can real off a Triple double easily and hell, at one point wasn't he averaging 14 assists a game? The guy isn't a normal 10 assist guy.

As for Deron....he just hasn't been good enough in NJ.

Last year, he shot 36% (even though his assists shot up to 12 ast a game). Oh, then got injured and elected to be out for the remainder of the games.

This year, he shot better but still not the Deron that was 2nd/3rd best PG in the league a while back. He got back to 20 ppg but still shot at a paltry 40%. Plus, his assists were at 8.5 ast a game. OH, then he got another injury which he chose not to play through even though it wasn't that serious.

His time with the Nets just hasn't been that good. He still has the potential to be a top 3 PG, but to me he is behind Rondo and possibly Parker and Nash this year.

jimm120
06-26-2012, 06:16 PM
only knick fans think Lin is THAT good

I'm not syaing Lin is that good. But I'd like to track his progress. I don't think he'd be above many of those players. I'm still gonna definitely vote for Nash, Rondo, Deron, etc above Lin. But if later on Lin is not up and the option is someone like Lowry/Jennings/etc, then there's something wrong.

As I said, its not to vote for Lin, but I think he deserve to at least be an option. He's not Derek Fisher or Toney Douglas.

jimm120
06-26-2012, 06:20 PM
Anyway, being more on topic (not that the previous conversation wasn't ontopic), I'd say that it should go as follows:

4 - Rondo
5 - Parker
6 - Deron
7 - Nash

Deron would normally be in the top 3 for me, but his play in NJ just hasn't been good at all.

LGhost
06-26-2012, 06:21 PM
All out war going on here... Parker is slowly dropping and I predict Williams will as well.

Cano4prez
06-26-2012, 06:23 PM
Rondo will win over the 2 more deserving players because fans won't be able to decide who's the better of the two

jimm120
06-26-2012, 06:30 PM
Rondo will win over the 2 more deserving players because fans won't be able to decide who's the better of the two

I think Deron eliminated himself.

Sorry, but he's been

14ppg on 36% shooting along with 12ast a game 2010-11 season
20ppg on 40% shooting along with 8.5ast a game 2011-12 season.

He just hasn't been that good in New Jersey. If Carmelo Anthony continued to score 14ppg on 41% shooting (as he was during the 2/3 of the season), then I'd blame him a lot. But he at least improved at the end a lot...which raised his averages a ton. Deron, though, simply didn't. He's had 1 1/2 years of bad play.

Lakers + Giants
06-26-2012, 06:42 PM
Rondo

b@llhog24
06-26-2012, 06:47 PM

Then what's the big beef? And all of those players had better years than Lin.

b@llhog24
06-26-2012, 06:48 PM
Parker won't win this one either? :sigh:

Chronz
06-26-2012, 07:29 PM
Deron should be #3

Your a very forgiving man

celtNYpatsHeels
06-26-2012, 07:39 PM
Wow, we got a nice little battle going on here. I went with TP, and thought he would run away with this spot.... Interesting...

LGhost
06-26-2012, 07:46 PM
Deron Williams takes the lead... Who da thunk it

Bruno
06-26-2012, 07:58 PM
notice: none of the deron voters even bother to put up an argument in his favor. they know it's not a vote you could build a concrete argument around. it's a speculative vote.

justinnum1
06-26-2012, 07:59 PM
tough one, cant disagree with peopple taking dwill or parker but i went with rondo after seeing what he did to the heat in ECF

willabeast77
06-26-2012, 08:04 PM
Deron Williams. More ppg and apg than Parker on a lower shooting % with more minutes.

SlimKid
06-26-2012, 08:15 PM
TP easily.. Most underrated pg in the game.

Glen20
06-26-2012, 08:22 PM
voted parker last time.

Swashcuff
06-26-2012, 10:45 PM
Deron Williams played worst defensively than any PG on the list currently this past season and yes that's inclusive of Steve Nash IMO. I really cant vote for him here.

Can someone please explain why they are going with Deron?

Also the mention of Lin's nam in this thread makes me cringe. Everyone on this list is better that Lin as well as a few that aren't there as well.

Baller1
06-26-2012, 10:50 PM
Can't believe TP will lose again.

Catfish1314
06-26-2012, 11:35 PM

Agreed. This is a sham.

unleashthebeast
06-26-2012, 11:48 PM
Rondo having 10 more votes than Parker is an absolute disgrace.

nicegoing
06-26-2012, 11:57 PM
I voted for Tony Parker may his left eye rest in piece.

Bruno
06-27-2012, 12:11 AM
Deron Williams played worst defensively than any PG on the list currently this past season and yes that's inclusive of Steve Nash IMO. I really cant vote for him here.
i agree. he doesn't deserve top five merit based off the past 1.5 years.

Can someone please explain why they are going with Deron?
they won't. it's a speculation vote.

Also the mention of Lin's nam in this thread makes me cringe. Everyone on this list is better that Lin as well as a few that aren't there as well.yea, way too early for that.

nicegoing
06-27-2012, 12:20 AM
TP is making a comeback. I BELIEVE!

tredigs
06-27-2012, 12:38 AM
I agree it's TP here.

Rondo is better in spurts and Deron should be better, but right now it's Parker.

It's:

Cp3

Westbrook

Parker

After that it gets much tougher.

Nyc4You
06-27-2012, 02:24 AM
Damn rondo and D-Will Tied as of now. tight race. Parker not far behind

PatsSoxKnicks
06-27-2012, 02:55 AM
I think this should be Parker and rather easily but since it doesn't look like he's gonna win it here, I chose Deron because I do think he's better than Rondo who I think is overrated. He's an overrated defender, doesn't show up for half the season, probably had a fluky run with his jump shot going in and yeah, maybe I'm a little biased here living in Boston where I hear Rondo this and Rondo that but most Celts fans ignore the most important Celtic- KG.

However, despite going with Deron in the voting, I absolutely think Parker easily deserves to go here.

Bruno
06-27-2012, 03:55 AM
I think this should be Parker and rather easily but since it doesn't look like he's gonna win it here, I chose Deron because I do think he's better than Rondo who I think is overrated. He's an overrated defender, doesn't show up for half the season, probably had a fluky run with his jump shot going in and yeah, maybe I'm a little biased here living in Boston where I hear Rondo this and Rondo that but most Celts fans ignore the most important Celtic- KG.

However, despite going with Deron in the voting, I absolutely think Parker easily deserves to go here.

do Boston fans tend to over-rate rondo?

I live in LA. I don't know why, but we love him here, celtic or not. most of the big time basketball fans i know have nothing but good things to say about rondo (old and young).

Ebbs
06-27-2012, 05:12 AM

Agreed. This is a sham.

lol in the NBA redraft I had Parker and everyoen said Deron was better. . . when I brought it up now here we are and UTB and yoruself are pushing Parker :sad:

Kashmir13579
06-27-2012, 10:27 AM
do Boston fans tend to over-rate rondo?

I live in LA. I don't know why, but we love him here, celtic or not. most of the big time basketball fans i know have nothing but good things to say about rondo (old and young).

Similar with Knick fans.. Most of us love Pierce and Rondo. Hate KG though.

Kashmir13579
06-27-2012, 10:28 AM
As much as i like Rondo its dead wrong to vote for him over TP. I don't see any argument for Rondo. Deron had a crappy season on a crappy team.

roshan3ai
06-27-2012, 12:41 PM
Similar with Knick fans.. Most of us love Pierce and Rondo. Hate KG though.

I hate all three :shrug:

rapjuicer06
06-27-2012, 01:23 PM
Is it weird that I think Rose is a top 5-7 player but not a top 3 PG? I associate PG as a guy who runs the team. Directs them to everything, sets them up for everything. I think Chris Paul is by himself, but I honestly think Rondo is the second best pure PG with Parker as the third. Westbrook is a SG, not a PG and I think the same thing for Rose. I mean Wade always used to have the ball in his hands but he was a SG, even though he took the ball up and set up offenses, how was he not a PG?

tredigs
06-27-2012, 02:37 PM
Is it weird that I think Rose is a top 5-7 player but not a top 3 PG? I associate PG as a guy who runs the team. Directs them to everything, sets them up for everything. I think Chris Paul is by himself, but I honestly think Rondo is the second best pure PG with Parker as the third. Westbrook is a SG, not a PG and I think the same thing for Rose. I mean Wade always used to have the ball in his hands but he was a SG, even though he took the ball up and set up offenses, how was he not a PG?

Who brings the ball up the court for OKC and Chi? A = Westbrook & Rose.

Who do they guard on the other team? A = Other teams PG.

Who guards them from the other team? A = Other teams PG.

Who is the primary facilitator and ball handler on OKC and Chi? A = ... you get the picture.

They are point guards. That's not up for debate. They just score more than we're accustomed to a PG scoring; that's a result of them being two of the best scoring points that have come through the league, but it doesn't make them any less of a point guard. They fit all the criteria.

LGhost
06-27-2012, 02:50 PM
lol Deron won... I wonder how many people seen him play more than 1 game this year

twin4life
06-27-2012, 03:08 PM
Irving but no Rubio?

Swashcuff
06-27-2012, 03:13 PM
Irving but no Rubio?

I don't understand your guys gripe... its not like the player is deserving of a sport here or an argument can even possibly be made so why are you guys complaining.

Rubio will be there in due time be patient. Irving was better than him this past season as well.

b@llhog24
06-27-2012, 03:48 PM
I don't understand your guys gripe... its not like the player is deserving of a sport here or an argument can even possibly be made so why are you guys complaining.

Rubio will be there in due time be patient. Irving was better than him this past season as well.

:clap:

b@llhog24
06-27-2012, 03:50 PM
I guess I could live with D-will here, but I really hope Tony goes top 5.

haggis
06-27-2012, 03:53 PM
TP got robbed here. He was excellent this year.

Catfish1314
06-27-2012, 04:35 PM
lol in the NBA redraft I had Parker and everyoen said Deron was better. . . when I brought it up now here we are and UTB and yoruself are pushing Parker :sad:

I wasn't one of them. I think I even mentioned how inefficient and turnover prone Deron has become when he was drafted in that game.

NYYCowboys
06-27-2012, 04:45 PM
According to the Knicks forum Jeremy Lin is better than Russell Westbrook so why isn't he there?

Kashmir13579
06-27-2012, 05:13 PM
^ In the later rounds of this poll there will be a statistical argument for Jeremy Lin.. It will get ugly in here.

MiamiBoy77
06-27-2012, 07:22 PM
^ In the later rounds of this poll there will be a statistical argument for Jeremy Lin.. It will get ugly in here.

i really think for this exact reason Jeremy Lin shouldn't even be included in this poll.

1-800-STFU
06-27-2012, 08:38 PM
According to the Knicks forum Jeremy Lin is better than Russell Westbrook so why isn't he there?

lol

greg_ory_2005
06-27-2012, 08:43 PM
I guess #5 is gonna be Rondo vs Parker. Should be interesting to see who wins that one.

Corey
06-27-2012, 11:36 PM
Tony Parker and Deron are both better than Rondo.

Sportfan
06-28-2012, 04:30 AM
Tony Parker and Deron are both better than Rondo.
nope

sunsfan88
06-28-2012, 05:30 AM
When is the next thread gonna be created for the #5 PG in the NBA?

I can't wait to vote Nash!