PDA

View Full Version : What is the ideal team for me?

TheDiamond
06-26-2012, 11:51 AM
I love baseball, but have no team. Could some people tell me what team they think best fits my criteria for who I want to cheer for? Name one American League and one National League club if possible. My standards are:
1. They cannot be in the Pacific Time Zone. Too many late games.
2. They cannot currently be a championship contender. I wanna rise with my team.
3. They cannot have a great prospect pool. I want to see them from the very beginning of the rebuild.
4. They must have in your opinion the most beautiful ballpark out of all the teams that fit thias criteria.

PapaPilo00
06-26-2012, 11:58 AM
Sounds like you wanna be a Houston Astro to me

ugafan
06-26-2012, 11:59 AM
The Pirates would be a decent pick even though they have a nice farm system. PNC park is awesome and while they're only 2 games back in the division, they're nto better than the Cardinals or the Reds.

Boston-Born
06-26-2012, 12:07 PM
Loaded question geared towards answers of the Cubs.

rkelly7
06-26-2012, 12:15 PM
Orioles aren't a bad choice. They have two top prospects, but little in the farm behind them. They are playing well this year, but are still a few years from being serious contenders IMO.

And Camden Yards is amazing.

ugafan
06-26-2012, 12:17 PM

Wrigley Field is not beautiful.

gaughan333
06-26-2012, 12:18 PM
Wrigley is iconic, but sorta gross

The X
06-26-2012, 12:21 PM
Sounds like you wanna be a Houston Astro to me

:nod:

I would choose the cubs though

NY_Heartbreak
06-26-2012, 12:22 PM
Why don't you just follow the team closest to where you live so you can identify with the fanbase and also go to games consistently?

Boston-Born
06-26-2012, 12:28 PM
dupeeeee

DieHardColtsfan
06-26-2012, 12:33 PM
Go with Houston.

rkelly7
06-26-2012, 12:34 PM
Wrigley Field is not beautiful.

Truth, it is historic and iconic, but it is trife. Don't ask me what trife means, I don't even think it's a real word. It means beyond gross.

It is by no means a beautiful ballpark.

theslick1
06-26-2012, 12:45 PM
OP, you sound like a future Pirates fan.

Pinstripe pride
06-26-2012, 12:53 PM
easily the pirates

OpenAvalin
06-26-2012, 12:54 PM
You seem like a Astros or Pirates fan. Maybe even Twins? But id definitely go with Astros or Pirates because they fit your criteria perfectly

Pinstripe pride
06-26-2012, 12:56 PM
although houston is switchign league snext year, so thats kind fo from the start though. im just not a fan of domed stadiums. doesnt feel like basbeall

mtf
06-26-2012, 12:56 PM
Why don't you just follow the team closest to where you live so you can identify with the fanbase and also go to games consistently?

That's too logical and doesn't provide him the opportunity to create a thread.

sixers247
06-26-2012, 12:57 PM
Definitly the Astros. Not even close in my opinion.

TheDiamond
06-26-2012, 01:20 PM
I live about 900 miles away from the nearest MLB team, so that's a no go.
Thanks for the responses so far everyone. I'm seriously considering Pittsburgh now, moreso than Houston since I LOVE PNC Park (tied with Petco for my favorite) while Minute Maid Park has always felt kinda cheesy to me.

MetsLegacy
06-26-2012, 01:26 PM
I live about 900 miles away from the nearest MLB team, so that's a no go.
Thanks for the responses so far everyone. I'm seriously considering Pittsburgh now, moreso than Houston since I LOVE PNC Park (tied with Petco for my favorite) while Minute Maid Park has always felt kinda cheesy to me.

Why not go with the Padres? Petco is absolutely beautiful, they're getting new ownership that could try to do something nice with the team, and they need to rebuild at almost every position except 1B, C, and CF.

Pinstripe pride
06-26-2012, 01:44 PM
Why not go with the Padres? Petco is absolutely beautiful, they're getting new ownership that could try to do something nice with the team, and they need to rebuild at almost every position except 1B, C, and CF.

he siad no west coast because of the time zones

stipe1280
06-26-2012, 01:57 PM
While I'm a Rangers fan (have been, through thick and thin), I have to admit that I started following the Pirates a couple years back for many of the reasons you brought up, TheDiamond. They'd be my vote for you for an NL team.

As for the AL...you could become a Royals fan. I've always loved going to their park, and while it's a bit older, it really is a pretty park with the waterfalls and massive logo scoreboard out in center (the food is great too). The one thing they have that doesn't meet your criteria is a good farm system, however I'm not too sure it hasn't been overrated a bit (their pitching depth is questionable to me).

OneTuzSea
06-26-2012, 02:04 PM
Just pick your local(est) team.

NYMets0507
06-26-2012, 02:08 PM
Pirates. Amazing ballpark (my favorite to visit), mediocre prospect pool, and haven't had a winning season in 18 years. I'd also recommend the Cubs, since Wrigley is THE ballpark of baseball, and they are on the verge of trading all of their veteran players away to rebuild. Their top prospect is being called up for tonight's game, so you should check that out. The Mets have a good farm system, so that might be a no, but they are a few years from being contenders.

I'm not really an AL person, but the Twins and Royals are good choices.

metsfaninSTL
06-26-2012, 02:13 PM
the astros stadium is ugly

JNev
06-26-2012, 02:16 PM
Pirates definitely. Also we have a great fanbase on PSD whos pretty active

WadeKobe
06-26-2012, 04:19 PM

This. When I was a little kid, I lived in D.C. but my dad was an L.A. fan so I followed teams that were not my home team. The best 4 years as a sports fan were when I actually moved to Chicago.

WadeKobe
06-26-2012, 04:20 PM
the astros stadium is ugly

dude's got jokes!

Carlznerson
06-26-2012, 04:30 PM
The Nationals fit all of that criteria except we have a pretty decent prospect pool.

jrap2
06-26-2012, 04:40 PM
Pirates for sure

SACNYY
06-26-2012, 05:10 PM
You gotta decide that on your own. You just like a certain team and that's that.

gaughan333
06-26-2012, 05:11 PM
The Nationals fit all of that criteria except we have a pretty decent prospect pool.

and they are good. They were my team like this 3 or so years ago

natelpete
06-26-2012, 05:14 PM
Minnesota Twins, for sure.

es0terik
06-26-2012, 08:31 PM
he siad no west coast because of the time zones

And also the fact that as far as I remember, the Padres have an amazing farm system

nirvana235
06-26-2012, 08:33 PM
I love baseball, but have no team. Could some people tell me what team they think best fits my criteria for who I want to cheer for? Name one American League and one National League club if possible. My standards are:
2. They cannot currently be a championship contender. I wanna rise with my team.
3. They cannot have a great prospect pool. I want to see them from the very beginning of the rebuild.
4. They must have in your opinion the most beautiful ballpark out of all the teams that fit thias criteria.

Why don't you choose the closet team to where you live?

jd25213
06-26-2012, 08:46 PM
Sounds like you want to be a Royals fan.

TheNatural797
06-26-2012, 08:55 PM
Go with Baltimore.. there at least 3-5 years away from being good enough to knock off New York/Boston and another 2-3 to compete with Tampa Bay. And thats the best case scenario. Camden Yards is beautiful, and even though it pains me to say this as a Yankee fan, i tend to like it better than the new Yankee Stadium. Games are on the east coast, and their farm system is good but like i said, they have plently of catching up to do.

gilly
06-26-2012, 09:26 PM

He lives 900 miles away.

I live roughly 3350 miles from my nearest team (Boston). I just picked a team with players I enjoyed watching about a year ago and now, I live 5480 miles (roughly) from my favourite team (Dodgers).

Ian.
06-26-2012, 09:38 PM

:laugh2:

Burkey3472
06-26-2012, 09:43 PM
Do you have any favorite players? I know a lot of people that started to like a sport because of a player and ended up liking that team.

es0terik
06-26-2012, 10:09 PM
If you don't live in the States, root for the Jays ;)

giants73756
06-26-2012, 10:43 PM
Pirates. They have the best park.

Fly
06-26-2012, 10:55 PM
Pirates, or whatever team is the biggest in the Area you're in.

nithanyo
06-26-2012, 11:24 PM
blue jays.

incentive:
-we have nice jerseys
-tim hortons
-free health care

xabial
06-26-2012, 11:42 PM
Check

They Suck, Team hasn't made the Playoffs Since 2008. Worst Record in Their Division the Last two years. So Far they have the worst record in their division this year too. You can easily say you were a Fan before they were good.

They recently hired A General Manager who inherited an 86 Year Old Curse for the BoSox, and Turned it into Two World Series Championships, so he's more than Capable Of Fixing this Team. The GM of a Team Plays a big part in his Team's Rise Becuase He Approves/Disapproves Which Players Get Traded and Drafted

Only One That Comes to Mind Is Anthony Rizzo WHO JUST GOT CALLED UP, Some Kid they JUST DRAFTED Last Draft, and A Cuban Outfielder Signed Out of Cuba for 9 years $30M. Not Very Deep Prospects. Only 1-2 Names Come In Mind and even they are No Sure things. (No "Harpers" or "Trouts" here).

FAIL. Park Is One of the Worst Looking In Baseball, but one of the Most "Historic", if you want to Look at it from that angle. It was Opened In 1923. If you could take this I'd go with the Cubs. Hopefully the fact that fans still show up to the Stadium even though the team sucks would be an exception to this question. **They've finished Top-10 In stadium Attendance every year since 2001!. One of a Kind Fanbase**

They Will Go From Garbage To Contenders *real Soon* (So you won't have to wait) They Have $70M of Committed Payroll Coming off the Books this year, so that's $50M-$70M of Money To SPEND on IMPROVING the Team. with the right financial Decisions that money can easily be put to Good Use and turn this team around. Easier Said Than Done However. Money Can easily be wasted, but this is why I brought up an earlier Point about a GM who has history of Success, and Championships. (He's made his share of mistakes Overpaying Players during His 4-5 year Tenure (Lackey..Crawford..), But he has Two Championships under his Tenure.

I am talking about the CHICAGO CUBS!!! They HAVE NOT Won a World Series since 1908! (Longest Drought In Baseball) You can be a part of Something Special, if the Team RISES for the reasons I told you.

Don't Go For the Overhyped Pirates. Their the first and only MLB team to have 19 Consecutive Losing Seasons TO DATE (2012). There could be another 19 years of your life Watching them Lose. Get Into Sports To Relax yourself. Where's the Fun in Watching a Team Lose..Year after year? You may not see Improvement for another 10+ Years! Your In this Sport To see IMPROVEMENT in your lifetime right? Last Year They had a winning record before the All Star Season Too.. and still ended 2011 with a Losing Season. Currently The Pirates Record Is 38-35, and they are Riding a Three Game Losing Streak.. (Hm..ANOTHER losing Season Perhaps?) Incompetent GM, Management, and Ownership. (No Offense To Pirates Fans). At least the Cubs Had a Winning Record as recent as the 2008 Season, and Made the Playoffs. This shows you, that their capable..

If you become a Pirates Fan.. You will See your Favorite Players Get Traded or Depart Because Pirates are a LOW PAYROLL team, who can't afford to Maintain/Keep their Players. Pirates only kept One Player From Hitting Free Agency by FA, and his name is Andrew McCutchin.. (Good Player But an Exception. It Doesn't change the Fact The Team's good Players will Leave the Pirates To Sign Better Paying Contracts With Other Teams.. Where's the Fun in Seeing your best players go because Ownership Does Not Think PAYING HIM is worth it? Only a select few teams can succeed annually with LOW PAYROLLS, but that takes Very SKILLED GM/OWNERS who Really know how To Run a Team, and NOT Run your franchise to the ground by taking them Through 19 Straight Losing Seasons. (About to be 20..) Its something that happens a lot in today's baseball as the ONLY NORTH AMERICAN SPORT with NO LIMIT ON HOW MUCH AN OWNER SPENDS on the Team. If you have the FREEDOM to pick a team, at least pick a Horrible Team with a HIGH Payroll (Cubs) so you Know you won't have to deal with that horrible, agonizing experience of seeing Most of your Good Players that are Free Agents Depart your team For More Money From Other Teams.

For the Record, I am a hard-core Yankee Fan (See My Sig) and Live in NY,.. So I AM NOT biased...

I am done Giving My Insight.. Hopefully you read it, and Use Logic before making any Rash Decisions to become a Fan of a Random Baseball Team. Sorry for writing a book, I just don't like people joining things without doing proper research.. If you become a Pirates Fan and Change Your Mind because you want to See a Winning Season in your Lifetime You become whats called a "Bandwagon" Fan and believe me Those Fans are the worst kind. Bandwagons are Fans who give up on their team When Things are going rough.

stupidmop
06-26-2012, 11:59 PM

Pirates. Classic team, out east, been losing for two decades, and they have a wonderful stadium. Not to mention that their name is awesome and they have hella cool uniforms.

stupidmop
06-27-2012, 12:01 AM
He lives 900 miles away.

I live roughly 3350 miles from my nearest team (Boston). I just picked a team with players I enjoyed watching about a year ago and now, I live 5480 miles (roughly) from my favourite team (Dodgers).

You should have picked the Giants. :cry:

Frozenred
06-27-2012, 12:05 AM

Cubs have a pretty good farm system.

xabial
06-27-2012, 12:17 AM
Cubs have a pretty good farm system.

Cubs Farm System is overrated. Their Best Prospect (Anthony Rizzo) is Ranked 29TH Best In Baseball (http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/prospects/watch/y2012/). Only Two Prospects In the Top 100, of MLB.com's 2012 Top 100 Prospects. Baseball America Ranked the Cubs Farm System 14th Best In All of Baseball (http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/rankings/organization-talent-rankings/2012/2613155.html)... Barely Breaking Average.

Their Best Prospect Anthony Rizzo is far from being Complete. He always struggled every-time he got called up, which is why Padres eventually Traded Him To the Cubs. Far From a Sure Thing.

Cubs also recently signed a Cuban Outfielder for 9 years $30M Too. NO TRACK RECORD in Minor Leagues, American Colleges, or MLB.

Lastly, the Guy they Drafted in the Last Draft. Don't Know His Name. This Guy Has a Long Way to Go Before He's MLB Ready. No Guarantee.

After those two, a regular Fan wouldn't be able to Name any other Prospect the Cubs Have besides Soler, and Rizzo.

rockthered19
06-27-2012, 12:22 AM
I'd say O's... Have great young players starting to put it together (Wieters, Jones, Davis, Hammel, Chen) , a gorgeous stadium, 2 great prospects but besides them not too much, are rebuilding like you said, are a pretty exciting team to watch (comebacks and home runs), and fans in B-More are starting to get excited again.

Also it may depend if you want AL or NL. O's are easily the choice in the AL IMO. An underdog in the best division in baseball trying to beat out the Yankees and Sox every year.

jimm120
06-27-2012, 12:26 AM

That sounds like the Mets

last year (and this offseason), they pretty much started rebuilding with letting Jose Reyes (a homegrown talent) walk away by not even offering a contract.

Also, you get the drama and the heated rivalry between Mets and Yanks.

You also get the drama of watching the owners destroy themselves in this ponzi scheme.

Oh, and Mets are practically a full home grown batting order at the moment, yet still winning.

TO Rapz
06-27-2012, 12:27 AM
Red Sox.

Pinstripe pride
06-27-2012, 08:51 AM
blue jays.

incentive:
-we have nice jerseys
-tim hortons
-free health care

they jsut put one of those in my office building and i must say it's pretty awesome

Boston-Born
06-27-2012, 11:12 AM
Red Sox.

This. It hits all 4 of the requirements.

redbird89
06-27-2012, 11:44 AM
I think you're setting yourself for more heartache this way. I understand wanting to rise with a bad team, but some of these teams lose so much because they have owners who won't pay their own stars. You see this especially with MIA, PIT, and KC. A team rarely succeeds with poor ownership, though the Marlins have had some success.
It's fine to pick a team that is bad right now, but look at their ownership. If the ownership doesn't seem to care about winning, pick a different team.
I was fortunate enough to be born a fan of a team that has been pretty good, but being good isn't just luck, it's also good ownership and a good organization overall.
I suggest watching baseball highlights and figuring out which teams you most like to watch. All teams have feast and famine.

dannyh1469
06-27-2012, 09:08 PM
Pirates where the first team to come to mind

scaramantula
06-27-2012, 09:54 PM
baseball doesn't want you, go find another sport, soccer or something

scaramantula
06-27-2012, 09:58 PM
blue jays.

incentive:
-we have nice jerseys
-tim hortons
-free health care

noooooooooooooo we have enough fake fans as it is, no need to add another

scaramantula
06-27-2012, 09:59 PM
You gotta decide that on your own. You just like a certain team and that's that.

exactly, why does a team have to meet certain criteria? just watch some base ball games and pick a team you enjoy watching, if that fails just pick the hometown team

Lakers + Giants
06-27-2012, 10:18 PM
if you have to be recommended to a certain team then your not gonna be a real fan of them. Try another sport.

DodgerB24
06-27-2012, 10:22 PM
Pirates easily.

Mitchell133
06-27-2012, 10:32 PM
Blue Jays. Best slugger in baseball and the constant underdogs in the AL East.

yfern328
06-27-2012, 10:34 PM
You just sound like a Pirates fan

Zaunnie
06-27-2012, 10:38 PM

1. Kansas is in like....the middle area of Amurica.
2. Kansas ain't even competing
3. Kansas prospects are alright, most of the good ones have already 'graduated'
4. Kansas' stadium is THE most beautiful one in the MLB

Pick Kansas

JNev
06-28-2012, 05:20 AM
The forum is waiting...

mikekhelxD
06-28-2012, 05:44 AM
Astros, Pirates, or from what the last condition suggests, Cubbies!

Mr. Keys
06-28-2012, 06:39 AM
Sounds like you're an Expos fan to me.
That rise from obscurity would trump even the Cubs.

TheKid
06-28-2012, 07:06 AM

Coming from you, of all people?

What's your favorite team this year? Cleveland? or Seattle? Or have you changed it to a new one?