PDA

View Full Version : Chris Paul: "I Want Chauncey Back With The Clippers"

Clippersfan86
06-25-2012, 05:57 PM
Very rarely do players flat out say stuff like that to the media. If the Clippers front office is smart and doesn't want to do CP3.. I'd be on the phones immediately making Chauncey the priority.

Here is full quote and link.

“He knows my top priority right now is to make sure he’s back with us again next season,” said Paul, a special guest today at Chauncey Billups’ basketball camp at Parker Fieldhouse.

“That was the best backcourt mate I played with since I’ve been in the NBA. He just gave me so much confidence and made things so much easier for me. So I need him back and want him back with the Clippers.”

http://blogs.denverpost.com/nuggets/2012/06/25/chris-paul-making-billups-la-top-priority/6736/

DoMeFavors
06-25-2012, 06:00 PM
Is this really thread worthy? I mean maybe Clipper forum but this isnt breaking news or anything.

Bruno
06-25-2012, 06:02 PM
Chauncey could help a lot of teams. is billups a restricted free agent?

Clippersfan86
06-25-2012, 06:03 PM
Is this really thread worthy? I mean maybe Clipper forum but this isnt breaking news or anything.

Considering this is a soft demand from a superstar about to hit free agency next summer it's worthy IMO. This decision could have huge repercussions.

Vincent
"He knows my top priority right now is to make sure he’s back with us again next season"

No disrespect to CP3, but he's not a GM and probably shouldn't try playing one.

Clippersfan86

Unrestricted.

CarniifeX
06-25-2012, 06:04 PM
CP3 wants Chauncey and last I heard Chauncey wants to return to the Clippers.

nicegoing
06-25-2012, 06:05 PM
Great post! Good job contributing to the forum!

I don't think CP3 should have said anything. What if another team tries to make an offer to drive up his value?

Clippersfan86
06-25-2012, 06:05 PM
Clippers likely guard rotation next year.

CP3+Chauncey with Bledsoe+Young being the first players off the bench. Foye is going to walk and Mo will be traded for a bigman before season starts.

mikekhelxD
06-25-2012, 06:07 PM

I'm sorry, but :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2: :facepalm:

Bruno
06-25-2012, 06:08 PM
Unrestricted.

wow. why aren't we hearing more Billups chatter? he could help so many teams.

Bruno
06-25-2012, 06:09 PM
I'm sorry, but :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2: :facepalm:

great.

Clippersfan86
06-25-2012, 06:11 PM
wow. why aren't we hearing more Billups chatter? he could help so many teams.

Because he's a 35 year old coming off the blown Achilles. Good news for him is that he's 6'4 215 pounds and doesn't rely on quickness or athleticism at all... so I don't see him having a problem returning to the same level next season. All he did was get to the free throw line a few times and knock down a couple open 3's a game, things he can still do even a step slower. His biggest value to teams is his smarts on the court, knowledge, leadership and clutch. His intangibles alone could have given the Clippers a chance vs Spurs. Especially if CP3+Griffin+Butler+Williams weren't injured.

Bruno
06-25-2012, 06:15 PM
Because he's a 35 year old coming off the blown Achilles. Good news for him is that he's 6'4 215 pounds and doesn't rely on quickness or athleticism at all... so I don't see him having a problem returning to the same level next season.
Yeah, he hasn't relied on his athleticism for years (never really did). He could help out half a dozen championship contenders for the vet minimum, or the mini-mle.

All he did was get to the free throw line a few times and knock down a couple open 3's a game, things he can still do even a step slower. His biggest value to teams is his smarts on the court, knowledge, leadership and clutch. His intangibles alone could have given the Clippers a chance vs Spurs. Especially if CP3+Griffin+Butler+Williams weren't injured.
his presence and leadership alone would be worth a vets minimum.

mikekhelxD
06-25-2012, 06:16 PM
great.

Don't get me wrong with him helping teams out, i'm sure he will be a help. My previous comment was about your question about him being a RFA. This will be his what, 15 or 16th season? I'm pretty sure him being an RFA has been thrown out the window for more than a decade now.

Clippersfan86
06-25-2012, 06:18 PM
Don't get me wrong with him helping teams out, i'm sure he will be a help. My previous comment was about your question about him being a RFA. This will be his what, 15 or 16th season? I'm pretty sure him being an RFA has been thrown out the window for more than a decade now.

Yea usually true. Clippers just won his Bird Rights though... but unlike Knicks situation it doesn't really mean too much given the circumstances.

JeffG20
"He knows my top priority right now is to make sure he’s back with us again next season"

No disrespect to CP3, but he's not a GM and probably shouldn't try playing one.

i agree with the statement but this is todays NBA. what are you gona do really

Bruno

great.

THE MTL
06-25-2012, 06:19 PM
See ppl think that the bird rights decision is only good for the Knicks, but you forget that Billups was picked up in the same manner as well.

Btw, I like Billups on the Clippers but Im no fan of a double PG (small guard) starting back court

Clippersfan86
06-25-2012, 06:22 PM
See ppl think that the bird rights decision is only good for the Knicks, but you forget that Billups was picked up in the same manner as well.

Btw, I like Billups on the Clippers but Im no fan of a double PG (small guard) starting back court

It worked though. Both are top notch floor generals and Chauncey is like his big brother. So much respect for each other that they had no problem taking turns on and off the ball. It was beautiful to watch :clap:.

Chronz
06-25-2012, 06:25 PM
Sure he never relied on his athleticism but losing more of it never helps anything, particularly defensively. I would love to give him a flier, just like Ray, but something tells me these old guards wont come cheap.

Chronz
06-25-2012, 06:25 PM

Did watching Francis and Marbury share the ball kill it for you?

Bruno
06-25-2012, 06:27 PM
Sure he never relied on his athleticism but losing more of it never helps anything, particularly defensively. I would love to give him a flier, just like Ray, but something tells me these old guards wont come cheap.

i'm curious as to who's going to pay up in the coming age of compounded luxury tax. the young teams with the cap space won't be appealing to the Allen/Billups camp, and the contenders won't have the cap space for anything more than mini-mles. it's going to be interesting to see where these old-timers go.

Clippersfan86
06-25-2012, 06:29 PM

If Chauncey gets greedy and fu**s our cap... I'll be seriously pissed. I hope he's reasonable, fair and logical. Clippers offer him a chance most teams can't. He's playing with his little brother CP3 and a team he likes a lot. No need to gouge them for a little extra money when he's a 35 year old coming off MAJOR injury. I agree defensively he may be hurt a bit but he's used this time to get even more fit in every other way. He looks RIPPED as hell right now and apparently his cardio is great.

StarvingKnick22
06-25-2012, 06:48 PM
Dear CP3,
This is NY BABY,
we will trade Amare, for cap space.
so in to 2013,
Free Agency,
Knicks would be crazy
BRING BACK the TYSON CHANDLER & CP3 Duo.. but in NY.
love the Knicks organization.

nicegoing
06-25-2012, 06:50 PM
Dear CP3,
This is NY BABY,
we will trade Amare, for cap space.
so in to 2013,
Free Agency,
Knicks would be crazy
BRING BACK the TYSON CHANDLER & CP3 Duo.. but in NY.
love the Knicks organization.
CP3 will never be a Knick and this has nothing to do with the thread, stop embarrassing yourself.

beasted86
06-25-2012, 07:28 PM
I'm pretty sure since the Clippers claimed him off waivers they have his full Bird rights.

He's 99.9% going to return as a Clipper.

Cracka2HI!
06-25-2012, 10:48 PM
I'm torn on this. It probably means more money for Chauncey. All my dream scenario's have him coming back on a minimum deal or near it. I was hoping for Allen, Chauncey and Young all to sign. That was probably always very optimistic. The fact that we got Chauncey's Bird Rights and CP3's endorsement almost guarantee Chauncey will be back. That is good news. I do want him back and think he may the best possible starting SG for our team. I think pretty much the same thing about Allen considering who is available. I think both Allen and Chauncey will wear down over a full season and be ineffective in playoffs just like this year. If you had both I think you would have one at nearly full strength come playoff time. Doesn't look like that is possible. Allen and now Chauncey will both be paid. Clippers have too many holes for both.

Phenomenonsense
06-25-2012, 11:11 PM
Clippers likely guard rotation next year.

CP3+Chauncey with Bledsoe+Young being the first players off the bench. Foye is going to walk and Mo will be traded for a bigman before season starts.

Mo traded for a big man? Who is trading a big man for Mo Williams?

Sadds The Gr8
06-25-2012, 11:42 PM

his defense is what would worry me most

Losoway
06-26-2012, 12:19 AM
lol he played like 5 games this year

TylerSL
06-26-2012, 12:21 AM
Billups is still a good player, and still brings alot to the table IMO. I would'nt pay him 8 million a year or anything. But if I am the Clippers, I am definately open to bringing him back as long as he doesnt want too much. IMO 3 million or so/year is all I would give him.

NSJ
06-26-2012, 12:33 AM

If it wasn't thread worthy than why bother coming in and adding your commentary? It was the first thing I clicked when going to the nba forum and thought it was interesting. I sure as hell wasn't going to check the clippers forum, so wouldn't have seen it otherwise. It might not be up to your "thread standards", but leave that decision up to someone who can actually do something about it.

Losing Billups was huge for the clips this season and think they would've done a lot more if he had been healthy, especially in the playoffs. I'm really not a big chris paul fan and don't like the clips but think they would benefit a lot if he came back.

Cracka2HI!
06-26-2012, 12:35 AM
The problem is the Clippers are basically bidding against themselves and CP3 said he wants Chauncey back. That's a tough pill to swallow. No one else is going to make offers to Billups because the Clippers have Bird Rights. With Paul wanting him back on the team, no one else being able to offer more money, the Clippers have no leverage. My guess is they renounce his rights because no one else will offer Chauncey any money for more than 1 year with this CBA. They also will probably be able to create some cap space if they can trade Mo Williams. They will probably renounce, Billups, Foye, Martin, Evans and amnesty Gomes if they are able to trade Williams without taking back salary. Otherwise they keep the right to everyone and use the MLE and BAE. Mo is the key to the offseason for the Clippers but barring something amazing I think they come up with a similar roster either way.