PDA

View Full Version : What's Texas going to do with Andrus with Profar on deck?

theguruisback3
06-25-2012, 04:01 PM
I like Andrus quite a lot, but Profar is on a fast track to the MLB soon, what do you think the Rangers will do with Andrus?

Trade him? If so, what's his trade value?

Trade Profar? Is that even an option?

OpenAvalin
06-25-2012, 04:04 PM
Put Andrus at 3rd base. I think Beltre will be gone by the time Profar gets called up

WOwolfOL
06-25-2012, 04:17 PM
Andrus has baby power, not exactly fit for 3b. Profar looks completely legit. I would think they're gonna look into trading Andrus next year. I would expect him to have some nice value for his glove and OBP. He could fetch a couple top 100 guys.

GoCrew5
06-25-2012, 04:19 PM
Trade Profar for Greinke.

:)

metswon69
06-25-2012, 04:19 PM
Put Andrus at 3rd base. I think Beltre will be gone by the time Profar gets called up

Profar will be ready way before 2015, and Beltre is signed that long (not to mention the vesting option in 2016).

I doubt Beltre goes anywhere in the next 3 years especially the way he has been hitting since he came to Texas and the fact he is still a great defensive 3rd baseman.

Andrus or Profar becomes trade bait possibly, as i am sure the Rangers have other issues they can address.

Pinstripe pride
06-25-2012, 04:23 PM
they'll move one of them to third

TS8821
06-25-2012, 04:28 PM
Neither will be traded. Neither will move to 3rd, after Beltre we still have Olt coming up. Andrus moves to second, kinsler has already said he was open to moving to the OF

infernoscurse
06-25-2012, 04:58 PM
Andrus has baby power, not exactly fit for 3b. Profar looks completely legit. I would think they're gonna look into trading Andrus next year. I would expect him to have some nice value for his glove and OBP. He could fetch a couple top 100 guys.

i found that line of thought dumb, i would have bigger issue if he couldnt field for 3b than his bat being fit for 3b, if the rangers can compensate power from other areas who cares if his bat isnt of a power hitter

sf-fanatic
06-25-2012, 05:01 PM
Trade one to the giants !

dtmagnet
06-25-2012, 05:02 PM
i found that line of thought dumb, i would have bigger issue if he couldnt field for 3b than his bat being fit for 3b, if the rangers can compensate power from other areas who cares if his bat isnt of a power hitter

Being that hels a very capable SS I would think trading him would create more value than playing him at 3rd.

Cubsfan365
06-25-2012, 05:05 PM
I really don't see the Rangers moving Andrus to 3rd. They have Beltre now, and Olt who has been crushing the ball at Double-A this year.

rkelly7
06-25-2012, 05:19 PM
I understand the thought process here, but Andrus is a proven MLB regular. Profar has a lot of talent and promise, but he hasn't shown he can do it at the highest level. He could be an All Star, or he could be a bust.

JD isn't going to do anything with either IMO. If anything, he would trade Profar for an impact SP before Andrus goes anywhere.

Nothing will happen until the trade deadline in 2014 at the earliest. Unless you conisder something to be Kinsler switching positions and Profar taking over at 2nd.

fresh prince
06-25-2012, 05:20 PM
Neither will be traded. Neither will move to 3rd, after Beltre we still have Olt coming up. Andrus moves to second, kinsler has already said he was open to moving to the OF

Yea this is what I would try to do as well/ Move Kinsler to LF and play Andrus at second base and still be really good you damm bastards!!

todu82
06-25-2012, 08:03 PM
I think they trade Andrus for a pitcher.

C-ross12
06-25-2012, 08:07 PM
I'd imagine they'd have to move one of Andrus, Profar or Olt at some point in the near future.

keymax
06-25-2012, 08:12 PM
Move Young to 1B fulltime and give Profar a super utility role and let him prove that he can hit.

The Rangers will be in win-now mode for some years and they can't just hand a regular spot in the lineup to Profar.

1908_Cubs
06-25-2012, 08:33 PM
Move Young to 1B fulltime and give Profar a super utility role and let him prove that he can hit.

The Rangers will be in win-now mode for some years and they can't just hand a regular spot in the lineup to Profar.

That's really a waste of Profar's service time.

My guess is Andrus is used to bring back a massive SP to anchor their staff with Darvish in a year or so.

Young2Kinsler
06-25-2012, 11:04 PM
I'd imagine they'd have to move one of Andrus, Profar or Olt at some point in the near future.

I just can't imagine a player out there that would be on the market that would be worth Profar.

I think Profar will be in the minors probably all of next year, and after that, they might consider moving Kinsler to the OF(replacement for Cruz) and let Profar play 2B.

Olt, I could see moved in the right deal, but again, can't think of people off the top of my head I would want for Olt. Olt could transition to 1B/corner OF as well.

I sure as hell am not trading any of those guys for Greinke/Garza

Young2Kinsler
06-25-2012, 11:07 PM
That's really a waste of Profar's service time.

My guess is Andrus is used to bring back a massive SP to anchor their staff with Darvish in a year or so.

This is most likely. Andrus has 2-3 years left on his deal, and after that he might be due a HUGE payday. Playing Profar as a part time util guy is a complete waste, and Michael Young sucks at 1B so I want no part of him there daily. I'll be shocked if Young is here more than next year, if that.

It's a nice situation to be in...but does hurt my brain weekly.

Jeffy25
06-25-2012, 11:30 PM
You can pretty easily put Profar.....well.........anywhere.

If you are Jon Daniels, you only worry about that when Profar has actually reached the big leagues. You never make a move of a current player for a future player at the same position (remember when everyone was saying the Braves should trade McCann because Salty was going to be better?)

Profar is talented enough that he can anywhere on the diamond. By the time he does come up, Kinsler or Beltre could even get hurt. Andrus could get hurt, any of them could get worse. You could always throw Profar into a corner outfield spot for awhile if you need to as well.

Long term, Profar has a higher ceiling, but Andrus is probably better defensively at this point. Beltre and Kinsler are both great defensively as well. Hell, you could move Beltre to first if you need to, and put Profar at third to save Beltre's legs.

A lot of options, and it's options that you dream to have as a GM.

mikepelfrey
06-26-2012, 08:55 AM
actually, given all their injuries, id offer Profar and Martin Perez to the Mets for R A Dickey. since the Mets are in a rebuilding cycle

it would be like the Beltran deal for Wheeler, Dickey even though he's 35+, could last for another 10 years with that knuckler and he's signed cheap. he'd give the rangers a legit top of the rotation arm and make them the World Series favorite

its a heavy price but to get the mets to bite it would need to be

The X
06-26-2012, 09:37 AM
actually, given all their injuries, id offer Profar and Martin Perez to the Mets for R A Dickey. since the Mets are in a rebuilding cycle

it would be like the Beltran deal for Wheeler, Dickey even though he's 35+, could last for another 10 years with that knuckler and he's signed cheap. he'd give the rangers a legit top of the rotation arm and make them the World Series favorite

I wouldn't do that

Ill21
06-26-2012, 09:55 AM
Move kindler to the OF. Andrus to second and profar at SS

Jeffy25
06-26-2012, 03:17 PM

The Rangers would be insane to do that.

utl768
06-26-2012, 03:44 PM

mets will never trade dickey

the mets care most of all about selling tickets and trading dickey would cause the fan base to revolt

mikepelfrey
06-26-2012, 03:44 PM
The Rangers would be insane to do that.

i dont think so, youre talking two prospects after all for a guy who is favored to win 20 this year on a 4M contract and as a knuckleballer his age isnt much of an issue, I doubt anyone would have an issue if I had said Cole Hamels instead of Dickey, yet Dickey is having a better season and is paid half what Hamels is and is signed through next year, at under 5 Million

what do you think a potential 20 game winner making 4M is worth? The rangers are trying to win now, not 5 years from now

besides youve already proven you dont have a clue when it comes to pitching if your opinion of Burnett is factored in

mikepelfrey
06-26-2012, 03:51 PM
mets will never trade dickey

the mets care most of all about selling tickets and trading dickey would cause the fan base to revolt

that could be true, but Alderson did trade Beltran and he's trying to build with youth,, its questionable he could get that much anyway

but if Texas wants to win it all it is a consideration, it would hurt both teams, but good trades usually hurt for both

Jeffy25
06-26-2012, 03:53 PM
i dont think so, youre talking two prospects after all for a guy who is favored to win 20 this year on a 4M contract and as a knuckleballer his age isnt much of an issue, I doubt anyone would have an issue if I had said Cole Hamels instead of Dickey, yet Dickey is having a better season and is paid half what Hamels is and is signed through next year, at under 5 Million

what do you think a potential 20 game winner making 4M is worth? The rangers are trying to win now, not 5 years from now

besides youve already proven you dont have a clue when it comes to pitching if your opinion of Burnett is factored in

Don't start with that.

And they would be insane to trade two top 50 specs who they have under team control for six years for a 37 year old knuckleballer.

You won't find a single Rangers fan that would do that deal.

The Rangers can win now, and in five years from now. Trading Perez and Profar would severely damage the teams long term potential. Dickey makes 4.25 this year, 5 mil club option for next year, and then is a free agent, or could have gotten severely worse by then too. Profar and Perez have great long term potential (btw Perez was called up today).

Jeffy25
06-26-2012, 03:55 PM
but if Texas wants to win it all it is a consideration, it would hurt both teams, but good trades usually hurt for both

Trades are designed to help both teams, not hurt either team. That's why you do them.

This trade makes no sense for the Rangers.

utl768
06-26-2012, 04:24 PM
that could be true, but Alderson did trade Beltran and he's trying to build with youth,, its questionable he could get that much anyway

the fan base wasnt in love with beltran the way they are with dickey

long ball
06-26-2012, 05:02 PM
The decision is still probably at least 1.5 season off and so much can happen during that time span it makes this speculation unnecessary.

But what the hell do I care about all of that. With the lack of competent short stops in the big leagues I think it would be more beneficial for the Rangers to move Andrus to another team.

Rush
06-26-2012, 05:12 PM
You make one mistake giving your opinion on a pitcher and from then on you don't know anything about pitching :rolleyes:

Trading two of your best prospects, two that are top 50 at that, for a 37 year old pitcher, even if he'll pitch longer than other pitchers, would still be a dumb move in the long run for the Rangers.

And I agree with sf-fanatic, trade one to the Giants! But I wouldn't trust Sabean.